100 lb. Club - Very off topic... but I have rediscovered drawing!

rakel
11-13-2007, 12:26 AM
So yesterday I decided to bust out a huge sheet of paper (14"x17") and my drawing pencils, erasers, sharpeners, art rulers ... the whole she-bang, and started a very detailed drawing of an Octopus. I'm just tickled with the results so far! Every time I do a drawing I always seem to amaze myself. Maybe deep down I don't really think I'm that good but who knows! Maybe I should get some pieces together and take them downtown to the art district! It's a shame, I have so many art supplies and yet I rarely find time to sit down and create.

kasmin
11-13-2007, 01:41 AM
wow, Rakel, your art is amazing. You mean to say you don't do this as a living? I'm shocked:P

rakel
11-13-2007, 02:14 AM
Kasmin! Thank you! And no, I don't really make a living with it. I do sell some prints and a few small originals from time to time but I haven't really pursued it much. Maybe I could make more if I was more prolific and participated in some marketing or something. I mostly do web and graphic design to pay the bills, though I tell everyone my job is web & graphic design, art and some crafts ;)! I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. I've actually been doing it for about a year now, amazingly enough. It's a modest income, but being able to work from home sure has it's advantages!

nicolen
11-13-2007, 02:23 AM
Rakel, those are fantastic. I'm totally in awe of your talent here. And envious - I can't draw a recognisable stick figure.

Wow! I'd love to see more of your work, so please post more!

rakel
11-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Sure thing, at Nicole's request! This is what I mostly do, abstract and intricate patterns and shapes. BTW, the first photo in my original post is not something I drew, but it's my source image for the drawing I'm creating (which is the second image). I'm not sure if I made that clear or not!

:carrot:

BTW, drawing, like anything is a skill that can be learned... I'm pretty sure you could learn how to draw something more than a stick figure with the adequate training. I really didn't know that I could draw until my sophomore year of high school. I mean, I enjoyed art, I had always been told I was creative, but my drawing did not show a significant improvement until I took Introduction to Art in high school. I impressed my instructor quite a bit and he personally invited me to skip over Drawing 1 and 2 and go straight to AP Art (Advanced Placement). I considered not doing it because I didn't feel comfortable skipping the classes, but some of my friends were going to be in it and they convinced me to do it, and I'm glad I did... even though I got a pretty blah score on my AP test >_<

If it's something that interests you, OR ANYONE READING THIS for that matter, go to your local art store and pick up a sketch pad (pretty much any will do, you don't have to spend a lot if you're just practicing! Only get nice paper if you want to move out of practice stage and attempt an actual piece) and a modest set of drawing pencils (something like HB, 2B, 4B, 6B), a kneadable eraser, and preferably a white eraser (the pink ones often leave a pink residue on your paper afterwards), and maybe a cheap, but nice metal pencil sharpner if you don't have one. Then track down the book called "Drawing from the Right side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. I think you should be able to get started for less than $30 after all is said and done.

Of course, I think what separates artists from say, hobbyists is the natural talent and creativity. But heck, I find drawing very therapeutic and fun, and though it may not be everyone's cup of tea, you might want to try it. You never know, there might be a budding artist in you! Plus, it keeps your hands moving so you're less likely to be munching on food while doing it! ;)

rakel
11-13-2007, 04:05 AM
Hopefully this is okay, if it's not -- will a mod please remove it for me?

This link is for the book I mentioned. It's got some information on the book. I recommend you check out the gallery, there are some "Before and after" pictures drawn by those who followed the exercises/lessons in the book.

I actually used to teach some 12yo girls art from this book! It was a ton of fun :)

http://www.drawright.com/

hellokitty81668
11-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Wow You are really good!!!
I could never do this!!! I am a really sloppy writer, worse drawing.
cheryl

Lovely
11-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Hey Rakel - Isn't arting fun? ^^ I'm a bit of an illustrator, too. More in hobby than in living. Hrm. I wonder if that makes a difference. Anyway, your work is very fun!

kasmin
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
I agree, it's so fun. And I imagine that drawing sort of engages a different part of your mind as well when you're doing it. Do you guys, Rakel and Faerie, feel a kind of escape when you do that? My background is kind of science-y, so I envy your guys' ability to do artistic things like that.

Slashnl
11-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Nice work Rakel! So much talent!

Robin41
11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I love that! I come from an artistic family and seem to be the only one the talent fairy skipped. The rest of us envy you.

rakel
11-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I can't really tell you what I'm thinking about when I'm drawing/making art. I guess it is a bit of an escape. It's just you, your tools and your paper/canvas. The first image on my previous post was the first one like that I ever did, and I remember that I stayed up from like 12am to 6am working on it. It's very easy for me to lose all track of time when I work on art. It's bad, because I don't always remember how much I work on something, so it makes pricing difficult when I try to put things up for sale.

Faerie -- Why don't you post some of yours? I'd love to see them!

DollyR
11-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Rakel,

You do some wonderful work. I am an artist as well and make altered books and visual journals but I majored in printmaking and painting in college. To me there is nothing like the feeling of creating something by hand. I teach computer graphics and work with web design etc etc.... Nothing matches my hand holding some tool and working on a sheet of paper or canvas. I totally get what you mean about being lost in your art. I loose all sense of time and also my mind gets into this "zone". Anyway.....GREAT work!! Do you have an art blog?

rakel
11-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Dolly, I have a personal blog on vox.com (username: rakel) where I post my art sometimes, but I am not very consistent with that either. I think my whole life needs a little more consistency ;)

BattleAx
11-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Rakel, you've got talent!

rakel
11-14-2007, 02:30 AM
battleax -- thanks :D

Lovely
11-14-2007, 07:06 AM
I guess arting is as much of an escape as anything is. Except when I'm done I feel like I've accomplished something instead of just wasted my time (like watching tv...)
I agree with Rakel about it being just oneself and the materials you have. No pressure. When it's done for yourself there's no need to gain the approval of others, it's just there, on paper, canvas, plaster, the computer screen :lol:
At times it's like writing a journal without words. I look back and I remember the purpose of a piece, or the feelings behind it. It can be a release for overflowing emotions, or a therapy for hidden ones. Everyone has this feeling about something. A creative outpouring in some way. (It can even be about scientific things :) )
In fact, I'm quite jealous of those who have a way with the written word. That natural sense of flow and the ability to pen a compelling story. Of course I'm well read, and am very literate, but I don't believe I'll ever have that storytelling talent.
I'm happy with the talent (however little it may be) that I do have. I find I'm much more satisfied with life after drawing.

kasmin
11-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't know Faerie, from the posts I've read of yours, it already seems like you are a wordsmith;) I bet you write pretty well:cool:

rakel
11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Faerie, I guess I can relate, but I do admit that I enjoy showing off my work and getting all of the "oohs" and "aahs." For so long my talent is been a way for me to feel important, and for others to look up to me. Maybe this is bad, but sometimes when I meet people and they look down on me for my weight or whatever, I think to myself, "but what they don't know is that I'm really talented and worth getting to know." Or maybe that's just being cocky, or trying to convince myself to be cocky, I don't know... but I do know that I would be lying if I said that I never liked to show off ;).

But that doesn't mean I have to show off everything. For years I've kept art journals, and for most people they just wouldn't "get" it. They appear to be so random and not everything is like "super good". I haven't really kept one in forever, but I did get a very small journal (3x3) which I work on occasionally. Originally I wanted to sell it, but the more work on it I do, I realize that I will probably not get that much for it, after all of the time I spent on it. So I'll probably just keep it, which is fine by me. It's not difficult for me at all to keep my art... selling one of my babies is the hardest thing to do but you gotta make some dough, I guess!

I also love the written word. When I was a child I used to read books constantly. I read so much that when I was in grade school my reading was high school level or higher. And I was fast. So fast, that I could not STAND when we had to read outloud with groups. I would always end up reading ahead and if they called on me I wouldn't know where they were. Of course, the punishment was for those who weren't paying attention and I was anything but... ah well. I could write stories if I came up with a good one, but the problem is that I am usually pretty uninspired. I like to write papers, and short stories, poems, etc, though I haven't written anything in forever, and I have several novels I've attempted, but it surly is a daunting task.

Lovely
11-14-2007, 08:51 PM
I've never sold artwork. Personally, I'd prefer to make my own graphic novel. Which would lead to maybe selling many prints of my artwork :lol:

I can't say I've never gotten a high out of compliments. Or knowing that I do well at what I do. (And sure not everyone else can do that, and of course there are many, many out there that can do better.) But, I dislike constant positive feedback. Perhaps as an artist you can understand what I mean and why. Perhaps not, I'm no mind reader. :P

Regardless, I made a conscious decision a long time ago that anything I create will be for the thrill & the fun of it, not for anyone else's respect or approval.

I truly understand that secret feeling of "You may think you know me by what you see... but you don't." It probably stands true for most people. Granted, people may get to know me and think worse of me afterwards! :D

rakel
11-14-2007, 09:20 PM
A graphic novel would be awesome, especially if you could get it published. I am not super good at illustrating, so the concept for me is awesome but the actual completing of the task is like a nightmare ;)

I know what you mean about constructive criticism. It's one thing when you show something to someone who is not an artist, and they always see something good... even if you aren't entirely happy with it, which is nice, but again, sometimes you want to solve one of the problem areas and it takes a trained eye to help you sort that out. I do miss taking art classes and getting the input of my peers, but I know if I really wanted that I could join an art forum somewhere. I've just discovered that I can only keep up with 1 forum at a time, and right now the weight loss is a bit more important ;).

I wonder, maybe we should start an art club here on 3FC, if there isn't one already? What do you think Faerie?

missy3gal
11-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Woe, that is good. How neat to have something like that to keep your hands busy. I do some crocheting and a little sewing, but you've motivated me to think about drawing. Our children all draw very well and are self taught from books like the one you mentioned, but I've never really given it a try. Elaborate doodling might work for me :)

rakel
11-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Woe, that is good. How neat to have something like that to keep your hands busy. I do some crocheting and a little sewing, but you've motivated me to think about drawing. Our children all draw very well and are self taught from books like the one you mentioned, but I've never really given it a try. Elaborate doodling might work for me :)

Definitely! I always encourage people to pick it up, since most think it's never something THEY could do, but you never know, you could *shock* yourself!