General chatter - Christmas Decorations - When do you put them up?

jtammy
11-12-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm curious - when do you put up your Christmas decorations? :wreath: I was in Pittsburgh this week and the city was getting their decorations up downtown. That wasn't a big surprise - it takes time to decorate a big city. But as I was driving home from the airport last night, I was seeing houses with their Christmas lights out and turned on. Even saw one house with the :tree: in the window. And we're still almost 2 weeks til Thanksgiving!!!:turkey:

So....if you decorate for Christmas, when do you put the decorations out?

I traditionally put my tree and indoor decorations up the weekend following Thanksgiving. I don't put anything outdoors until I have all the leaves raked up, which is usually before the first weekend in December. IMO, this is plenty of time to put it up. I can't imagine doing it before Thanksgiving.:thanks2:

nicolen
11-12-2007, 01:46 AM
OK, that's far far too early.

We used to put the tree up after my sister's birthday on the 16th of December. Both our birthdays' are just before Christmas, so when we were young Mum wanted there to be a definite difference between the birthdays and Christmas.

Around here, the city hasn't started putting up decorations yet - it's Show Week this week (provincial public holiday on Friday) so they'll go up next week. Decorations have been going up in shops and shopping centres for about the last week or so, and I noticed that Christmas sweets were in stock at the supermarket on Saturday. It's all far too early!

kate1970
11-12-2007, 02:02 AM
We put ours up on the 01st December. Our town has the decorations up already and so do most of the shops.

melekalikimaka
11-12-2007, 02:11 AM
We usually get our tree up the weekend following Thanksgiving. Christmas lights and decorations outside the house usually go up at the same time. I play Christmas music throughout the year, because I like it.... and because with my name, I can pull it off. :lol:

FrouFrou
11-12-2007, 02:32 AM
With first DH we never did anything until Dec. 1 when we got the tree...always went out and bought a real tree. Since his passing things changed. When it was just me and the kids for years we did the same for a while and then started the weekend after Thanksgiving and that is what we did even when I remarried. But...for some reason the last three years we started doing it on Thanksgiving Day. We have a late dinner so do the decorations outdoors while things are being cooked. I work on the inside the next day. DH will bring my twenty tubs of stuff out of the basement and put the tree up and I do the rest. It's actually not 20 tubs, but maybe 10, lol...just seems like a lot!

We noticed last weekend that some neighbors down the street was putting up lights around the house, yikes! The next day he was out and finished it but I haven't seen them on. Those are the only ones around I have seen other than the store. They don't have any decorations out, just the lights. The city here hasn't put up anything as of yet.

blondebritbrat17
11-12-2007, 04:08 AM
I usually do it on Thanksgiving day or the weekend after Thanksgiving. It really depends on what my schedule is like. There's a lady here in the apartment complex and she's had her christmas wreath out on her door since Halloween.

kaw
11-12-2007, 07:11 AM
The weekend before Christmas, no earlier. Just long enough to make it really special, but not so near to Christmas that there are only Charlie Brown trees left in the lot.

My parents were of the generation (and income level) in which the tree *was* the present. I don't go quite that far, but I'm convinced that the earlier you put up the tree & decorations, the more Stuff your kid demands. Same principle explains why stores put up their Christmas displays in October: to get you to buy more Stuff.

Pita09
11-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Well, not counting the decorations sitting on my counter at the moment that I just bought, I will bring out my decorations on Thanksgiving and get started. I love having a month to look at all my beautiful things and our gorgeous white, silver, and crystal Christmas tree. I'm also very happy come the day after Christmas to get it all put away.

losinitin07
11-12-2007, 09:15 AM
We put our tree up Thanksgiving day, Christmas is my favorite time of year it is when Christ was born , I like to turn all the lights out and watch the lights on the tree.Christmas is such a short window I like to enjoy my tree for a wee bit:):thanks1::thanks2:

Rosario
11-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I usually put up my xmas stuff thanksgiving weekend. It's a long weekend, so there's plenty of time to get everything up.

lilybelle
11-12-2007, 11:08 AM
We put up our tree and decorate the outside of our house the day after Thanksgiving. I leave the lights all shining brightly til January 2nd.

scgirl32
11-12-2007, 11:15 AM
My decorations always go up the weekend before Thanksgiving. I don't light the decorations until after Thanksgiving, though. I typically leave town on the Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving and spend the entire week with my family. So, I know that it would be that next weekend before I would have enough time to decorate if I don't do it before Thanksgiving. The decorations always come down on the Saturday after New Year's.

jtammy
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Like several of you mentioned, I love our Christmas decorations also. I enjoy having them out in the house (at least for a few weeks). I'm ready for them to be out of the way though the same time as scgirl puts hers up, usually the first Saturday after New Years.

Time for a change
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm a Christmas fanatic, I start my decorating on Thanksgiving and don't stop till Christmas day!

Lafayette
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Last year, we bought a pre-lit artificial tree and it sat in the box in the middle of our living room until a few days before Christmas. I made jokes about decorating the box and being done with it... that's OK, I guess, because we took it down right before our annual St. Patty's Day party. It's so difficult to find a time in our schedules to get shopping done, hit multiple holiday parties and decorate a tree! I can blame one thing, though. I ordered the nice plastic bozes with cubbies for each ornament and they were on backorder so I didn't even get them until March 10th. Order early!!!

mandalinn82
11-12-2007, 03:42 PM
The Christmas decorations don't go up until 2 weeks or so before Christmas. But the Christmas prep (I'm a crafter - every year my family gets new homemade ornaments and usually something knit, my partner is a florist so our wrapping paper has to have a "scheme" so all the packages match and are pretty, we make homemade baskets for everyone every year and those have to be planned, and our holiday card list is ridiculously long) has already started. Otherwise I'd never have time to get it done!

Side question - do your holiday decorations have a theme? Again, florist partner - our tree decorations are all silver, ice blue, and white. Is your tree a mixed collection of different colors, ornaments, (like the one I grew up with)etc, or is it themed?

StillTryin
11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I usually decorate the Friday right after Thanksgiving (Black Friday) since I dont dare go to the stores. But this year I am not going to decorate much...just not in the festive mood. So who knows if the tree will even get put up this year.

ANOther
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Time depending, I usually decorate between 10 days and the w/e before Xmas, and leave them up until January 6 or so. We use a fake tree, real ones are just too much a pain in the butt to keep watered and keep straight, and the ornaments are just a mish-mosh of stuff we've bought over the years, no matchy-matchy themes.

djstorey
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I consider Christmas decorations fair game the day after Thanksgiving. It takes so much time to get everything decorated, I want to enjoy it for a while! (I have to admit, I have 2 things out already that I just bought!)

jtammy
11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
My trees have themes of a sort also. I have a small (3 feet I think) one in the kitchen that is in red and greens, rustic to traditional decorations. The tree in the living room is decorated in whites, silvers and golds. Most of those ornaments are more on the elegant side. I've done artificial trees for the last few years.

scgirlie
11-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I like to collect Christmas ornaments from vacation spots for our (fake) tree. It started the year I had a bunch of seashells from the family summer vaca, and my DH loves to use his dremmel tool to drill little holes into things. I slip a red ribbon thru the hole, and hang it! This year, we'll have some pesos and British coins to add...(went on a cruise this past Feb).

But it ain't Christmas in my house till I fire up Smokin' Santa. He's an 8-inch tall, poly-resin hollow statue of an old Santa Claus standing in a long robe, holding a pipe. You light a piece of cone incense and put it in the base, and then put Santa over it. He has his mouth open, so the smoke comes curling out.

I don't do any of this before mid-December. I want to keep it special. I was dissappointed to see that my local mall was putting up last year's tired decorations up before Halloween. I'm already tired of them.

Merry Christmas, Ya'll!

almostheaven
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I usually do it around Thanksgiving. For some people, it may be an issue of doing it when they can find the time. Maybe they're out of town on Thanksgiving, or going to be too busy from that point, that getting it up is the main priority right now.

mom2fivesweeties
11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
My parents are and always have been Christmas fanatics. Dad will be 90 the day after Thanksgiving and for all of my 52 years, Christmas was such a special and magical time. I have taken the traditions to our family and in the 30 years dh and I have been married, have accumulated quite a bit of decorations for the big day. We always plan to start the day after Thanksgiving, but usually end up cleaning the house really good that Fri. and Sat. and start decorating that Sunday. We don't finish until the next weekend usually. We leave everything up until Jan. 6 for the Feast of the Epiphany. When we used to get a real tree, that would have to come down earlier due to the dryness and fire hazard. With my rowdy 9 and 10 year old boys, we don't do fire hazards anymore - so the artificial tree it is, but still beautiful.

Lori :thanks2:

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 09:52 PM
We usually :ginger: decorate for Christmas the friday after :thanks1: Thanksgiving, if I don't have to work.

We will be playing our TransSiberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD's non-stop...with a lot of traditional Christmas CD's in the mix. Loving every minute of it! :hohoho:

We always have a theme...same one each year...the birth of Jesus

Our family puts Christ in Christmas before everything else....the :clause: presents...the :tree: tree...the :xcheer: parties. We do enjoy the season, we do celebrate and give gifts...but we do try to focus on the gift we were given the day of Christ's birth.

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Oh yea I usually take down the outside decorations and Angie usually takes down the inside decorations on Jan. 1....unless my USC TROJANS are on TV....then NOBODY...and I mean NOBODY moves in front of my TV....NOBODY...not even Angie....unless...of course she wants to...wink

junebug41
11-12-2007, 09:56 PM
I start as soon as the Thanksgiving leftovers are in the fridge ;)

I used to hate the holidays. My family sucks at them otherwise I was just alone (which was sometimes the better scenario). But as cheesy as it sounds, since DF and I have been together (3 years), it is my favorite time of year. I guess it's just my opportunity to "redo" and I've really gotten into it. DF is a real Clark Griswold type himself as well.

The most sickening thing is that the day after Halloween I went on an iTunes binge and downloaded $40 worth of Christmas music :lol: Eartha Kitt, Brenda Lee, Sinatra, Crosby, all the greats.

Sick and wrong.

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 09:57 PM
............ With my rowdy 9 and 10 year old boys, we don't do fire hazards anymore - so the artificial tree it is, but still beautiful.

Lori :thanks2:

LORI! you're killin' me! :lol: That poor AJ is gonna get a "complex" ;)

junebug41
11-12-2007, 09:59 PM
We usually :ginger: decorate for Christmas the friday after :thanks1: Thanksgiving, if I don't have to work.

We will be playing our TransSiberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD's non-stop...with a lot of traditional Christmas CD's in the mix. Loving every minute of it! :hohoho:

We always have a theme...same one each year...the birth of Jesus

Our family puts Christ in Christmas before everything else....the :clause: presents...the :tree: tree...the :xcheer: parties. We do enjoy the season, we do celebrate and give gifts...but we do try to focus on the gift we were given the day of Christ's birth.

Now does Neil Diamond have a Christmas album is the real question...

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
The most sickening thing is that the day after Halloween I went on an iTunes binge and downloaded $40 worth of Christmas music :lol: Eartha Kitt, Brenda Lee, Sinatra, Crosby, all the greats.

Sick and wrong.

JEN I probably could have copied that for you for free off my CD's ;)

mom2fivesweeties
11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey Gary!
They both wear their reputation so WELL!! :rofl:
Lori

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Now does Neil Diamond have a Christmas album is the real question...

You know JEN i believe he does and I DON'T HAVE IT!...what's a Jewish boy doing singing Christmas songs anyway ;)

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey Gary!
They both wear their reputation so WELL!! :rofl:
Lori

MAYBE someone should lock their mother up....To save her sanity!!! ;)

CountingDown
11-12-2007, 10:38 PM
We put ours up for the first week of Advent and keep them up through Christmastide (Epiphany). Outdoors,wWe have a lighted nativity that we have purchased through the years. It is finally complete with 18 pieces and is complimented by 2000 miniature lights in the trees. :)

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Someone stole our baby Jesus last year!

jtammy
11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Someone stole our baby Jesus last year!

Gary, Are you serious?

scgirlie
11-12-2007, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't leave an unattended baby Jesus out in my neighborhood.

EZMONEY
11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Gary, Are you serious?

I am totally serious TAMMY!

I wouldn't leave an unattended baby Jesus out in my neighborhood.

Well SCGIRLIE it wasn't ALL my fault...I THOUGHT I had 3 Wisemen watching him! ;)

Before this happend there was a run of Baby Jesus being stolen in the city...then someone placed them...about 20 of them...on the football field of my step-daughter's high school, took a picture and sent it to the local paper. I still had mine at the time! KIDS!! ya gotta love 'em 'cause ya can't shoot 'em! :)

jtammy
11-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Well SCGIRLIE it wasn't ALL my fault...I THOUGHT I had 3 Wisemen watching him! ;)

Before this happend there was a run of Baby Jesus being stolen in the city...then someone placed them...about 20 of them...on the football field of my step-daughter's high school, took a picture and sent it to the local paper. I still had mine at the time! KIDS!! ya gotta love 'em 'cause ya can't shoot 'em! :)

:lol3: :lol3: It reminds me of two rival football towns here in Mississippi, called Forest and Morton. The kids from Forest keep uprooting the shrubbery out by the interstate that spell the name of the town - MORTON. They keep removing the "T" and changing it into MORON. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-13-2007, 12:19 AM
:wreath: We're really big on CHRISTmas here; Dh and I went out Friday night and we counted 19 houses that already had their lights up and on. By Saturday, we saw more people putting their lights up becuz the weather was nice. Some turn them on now, while others wait til December 1st. We put up lights on our building, plus an 11-foot cross, this past weekend before the harsher weather arrives here.

:tree: Later on, we'll go get a large real tree for the yard and put mixed lights on it and maybe some lights along the garden fence. About December 1st or so, we'll pull out the indoor stuff, and slowly start putting things up; with carols on the stereo and hot chocolate and all. The last thing to go up is our small (4') indoor table tree, which I decorate myself; then we start wrapping a few gifts to put under it!

:candy: We leave things up to about January 6, which some belief is the true CHRISTmas date; that way we cover it all. I really love CHRISTmas and was quite eager to get things started this year. I think it spreads cheer to everyone who sees it ...

:ginger: We put up our giant cross every year now (we even get requests for it now) as a reminder to everyone of the wonderful gift that JESUS came to give us all those many years ago ... love, hope, and mercy ... what good news!

FrouFrou
11-13-2007, 04:39 AM
I have to say that I saw my first house lit up this evening. Waaay too early for me. I hate that it seems everyone just wants to skip Thanksgiving and head from Halloween to Christmas. Of course out former neighbors last year put her tree up the day after Halloween.