Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default Any Other Night Shift Nurses Out there?

Night shift nurses are notorious for eating snacks throughout the night. I KNOW because up until a few weeks ago I was one of them! Well, last night was my first night at work where I brought in all my own food, and I ate very healthy....and I felt great. I had tons more energy....I didn't feel exhausted like usual. What a difference a healthy diet can make. I know my life is so much better when I eat healthy, I just want to be strong enough to keep it up. I don't know why I sabatoge my health, why wouldn't I want to feel this good all the time? I've failed so many times before to keep up a healthy lifestyle, even though I want it so bad. The only promise I'm making this time is to keep posting on here and to try my best.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #2  

Since starting Atkins a couple of months ago I bring cans of tuna, cans of veggies, hard-boiled eggs, sometimes cheese to work, and snack on that thru the night when I get hungry. Work 12 hour shifts 7p-7:30am.
Really helps to keep energy up. Also drink lots of water.

Tammy
tamisuemcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

I used to occasionally work graveyard shifts when I managed a McDonald's resturaunt. Kudos to you for sticking to your guns! Fatigue and loneliness can be killers.

Eating healthy and drinking lots of water definitely makes a difference in how you feel!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #4  

Not a night shift nurse, but a night shift medical transcriptionist -- and the worst part -- I do it from home!! At least when I worked at a hospital when I ran out of the food I brought in and the change for the junk food machine -- I was done Cafeteria closed!! But, at home, the cabinets are full and the more tired I get, the more I tend to eat. But, I started WW at home last Wednesday and now drink so much water at night it's actually waking me up early to go to the bathroom, but at least I quit chowing down!!

You sound like you are doing a great job -- keep up the good work!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #5  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

I'm starting the grave yard shift this week but in a retail setting and all we have is vending and it's all junk vending. They have decided that they will bring in Pizza every night since we are not allowed to bring in lunch boxes or such. Controling SOBS say I can't bring anything in. Oh JOY! I am not looking forward to weigh in next week.

Consipiracy I tell ya
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

It was funny when I was younger and I would go to the doctors office or the hospital and see an overweight nurse or doctor I would be like they shouldn't allow fat people to be nurses or doctors. How can they keep me healthy when they are not themselves. Now that I am one of those fat nurses its much different. I have spent many a day lecturing my patients about proper eating...blah blah blah and I am sure in their heads they are saying the same about me...lol.
I don't work graveyard shift but believe me the daytime nusres munch too. I feel your pain.. that is why I am trying to get my eating under control before I start working again.
tjjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #7  

Why wont they let you bring your own food in?
That is not right...what are they worried about? Would they let you bring it in in clear plastic as opposed to a lunch box?
tamisuemcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #8  

Just finished my weekend and I did pretty well. I didn't drink too much water, cause I'm too busy to run to the bathroom all the time. Of course one of the Doctors had to bring in a giant 10lb box of dark chocolates and a local soft pretzel company dropped off tons of free soft pretzel samples! I swear they are out to get me! I did have a piece of soft pretzel, but stayed away from the chocolate. I LOVE chocolate but I'm trying to stay away from refined sugar for awhile. I think all the sugary snacks I used to eat at work really contribute to how tired I always felt. This weekend was much better. With my luck, next weekend a Ben and Jerry's truck will run out of gas in front of my hospital and have to unload all the ice cream on the nurses!!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #9  
Bikini Season :)

another night shifter checking in... got a liter of ice water next to my computer and a protien bar... heres hoping! i just wont go in when we order out!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #10  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmyerica View Post
Just finished my weekend and I did pretty well. I didn't drink too much water, cause I'm too busy to run to the bathroom all the time. Of course one of the Doctors had to bring in a giant 10lb box of dark chocolates and a local soft pretzel company dropped off tons of free soft pretzel samples! I swear they are out to get me! I did have a piece of soft pretzel, but stayed away from the chocolate. I LOVE chocolate but I'm trying to stay away from refined sugar for awhile. I think all the sugary snacks I used to eat at work really contribute to how tired I always felt. This weekend was much better. With my luck, next weekend a Ben and Jerry's truck will run out of gas in front of my hospital and have to unload all the ice cream on the nurses!!
Good for you! One of our docs brought in a huge bag of M&Ms and I did not touch them. Abstinence (for me) is easier than keeping track, fighting cravings, or living with guilt.

Stay strong!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #11  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

tamisue... No loss prevention to check our stuff, clear plastic or not. Besides these night shifts are in a warehouse with limited access to the rest of the store so I have no where to put anything.

Update They brought in Pizza and Pop and cookies and dounuts and gave us 30 minutes and threw the rest out I got home this morning and made some eggs and went to sleep. i had been up for over 24 hours so I didn't bother with a a weigh in. I'm sure my muscles hurt and are holding water.

Besides no need to let the scale add to the crabbiness today
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

What if you bring in a letter from your doc?
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateRN View Post
another night shifter checking in... got a liter of ice water next to my computer and a protien bar... heres hoping! i just wont go in when we order out!

Good for you....I totally forgot to mention the "ordering out" thing! I swear my hospital is surrounded by a ton of great places that, of course....deliver!
We keep a folder at the desk that is bursting at the seams with menu's. Sigh...it's not easy being a healthy chick!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #14  

Height: 5'1"

i WORKED THE NIGHT SHIFT FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE i FINALLY WENT ON DAY SHIFT. i WORK THE 12 HOUR SHIFT NOW, AND IT'S A KILLER TOO. i THINK ANY TIME YOU GET SO TIRED YOU WANT FOOD. ALSO THE STRESS WE ARE UNDER DOESN'T HELP MATTERS. i KNOW AFTER A DAY OF DEALING WITH DIFFICULT FAMILY MEMBERS, DOCTORS, AND PATIENTS, i WANT TO EAT.

ONE OF THE THINGS i USED TO TAME THE NIGHT SHIFT WAS, I WOULD WALK THE STAIRS ON MY BREAKS. THE EXERCISE DID MORE TO GIVE ME ENERGY THAN ANY FOOD COULD HAVE AND IT HELPED TONE MY LEGS.

i WAS ONE OF THOSE THAT USED TO WONDER WHY ALL THE DOCTORS AND NURSES WERE OVER WEIGHT. DOESN'T TAKE LONG TO FIGURE OUT WHY, DOES IT? ONE THING THOUGH, AND THIS IS THE REASON I WORK SO HARD TO LOSE AND KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF, I WANT THE PATIENTS TO BE ABLE TO TRUST ME WHEN I DO DIABETIC TEACHING. I DON'T WANT ONE OF THEM TO LOOK AND ME AND SAY "PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH"
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote