Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #1  

Default Does Your Body Really Settle at the Perfect Weight?

Hello All,
Now that I'm well on my way to my final goal, I'm trying to figure out the best weight for me. People often say your body naturally settles at the weight you're supposed to be, but I have no clue what that is. I've been overweight since the 6th grade, so I have no "before" from which to compare myself ,to know how much I should weigh. Without thinking about specific numbers, I'd like to be about a size 8, maybe a little smaller. I'm 5'3, but every time I look at thost height/weight charts I get all confused. I really don't want to be killing myself to maintain an unrealistic weight, but I also don't want to set the number too high for fear of not being able to reach it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Hey lola seems we're in the same boat! If my memory serves me right I'm now lighter than I was in high school... but having never been a 'normal/acceptable' weight not sure what I should be.

I know the BMI thing isn't perfect but I looked at that and the weight/height chart and just picked a number slap bang in the middle... if I find that as I get nearer my body doesnt want to go that low or it doesn't look good then I'll accept that but just having ANY number to aim for keeps me going

This doesn't seem to have actually answered your question lol but just letting you know you're not the only one with the dilemna
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You are doing great! I dont think a person's body settles at the correct weight.If that were so no one would need to diet. I think your goal is realistic when you reach that goal ,see how you feel and look , you can decide then if you want to lower your goal.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I think the most accurate way to determine if you're in a healthy range is now the hip-waist ratio. I will post how you measure this, it's from Jillian Michael's book but my mother is in cardiac rehab (she had a heart attack) and the doctors there are measuring her this way as well! It's supposed to be better than going on weight. Jillian says BMI is good, but it "it fails to distinguish between fat and muscle" so it gives you an incomplete sense of your weight.

Okay:

Ideal waist to hip ratio is 0.80 for women, and 0.95 for men. Her is how you do it...

1. measure waist right at the belly button line
2. feet hip width apart, measure hips at widest point
3. divide your waist measurement by you hip measurement. This is your ratio.

I hope that helps some!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Bargoo. I don't think the body settles at the correct weight. I think we need to WORK at gettting our weight to where we're comfortable with it and then continue to work to keep it there. Providing of course that it IS indeed a realistic number, one in that we CAN keep up with.

Exercise and the shape of your body will help to determine that as well. Also body fat% is a factor. You may very well be at a "comfortable" weight that doesn't mesh at all with "those" charts.

I think as you get closer to your goal, you can better determine what that weight should be. There's really no way to know until you are there. It's not a number written in stone and can be changed back and forth many times. Try not to worry what your "final" number will be. Don't forget it's next to impossible to stay the same weight day after day, week after week. There will be variations. You might not find a final number, but a "range" that you are most comfortable with, say within 5 lbs.

You are doing PHENOMENALLY well. Keep at it. I have no doubt when you get to that size or that number or that feeling, you'll know it. I wish you continued success.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-11-2007 at 09:20 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote