LA Weight Loss - To Grandmother's house we go (exercise challenge)

Kim0303
11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
:welcome3::woops:Ok ladies, I know we have tried to do an exercise accountablility and it keeps falling off because we don't follow through or at least I don't. I need the accountability.
I am going to do a weekly challenge with two weekly winner. One winner for total miles and one for total time not counting your time for walking as that effort is counted in miles. If you want to participate, let me know. Open to everyone. I will count the miles you walk per week (to get you to grandma's house) or the amount of time you spent working out to a video or any other type of exercise you do. I will keep up with it if you PM your miles and/or time to me by midnight on Saturday (not including Nov. 10th- Start emailing rusults Nov. 17th). This way I can figure the results on Sunday when I am off and start a new thread with the previous weeks results and I won't have to search through the thread if you send me a total.

If this is already being done somewhere under the LAWL threads, let me know, I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Anyone game to see how many miles we can walk to get to grandmother's house???:yes::carrot:
:dust:

Tuesday Cool
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Sure count me in. I had been great about walking everyday but I just returned to school and have slipped off. I need the kick to get me moving.
Exercise today:
1 hour gentle yoga. 15 min walk. 1 nap! (counts for something!)

Kim0303
11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Great Tuesday! I need a buddy.

whatazoo
11-11-2007, 10:23 AM
I'll join in. Hopefully my grandma's house isn't too far, as I don't walk but 15 minutes before work each weekday (sometimes another 15 minutes on the recumbent bike at work). At least it's something, I guess...:)

Kim0303
11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Stephanie, That is great. Any amount works! I wish I could say that is all I do! Right now I am not doing anything. So I am going to have to go get on the treadmill when a good movie or a good football game comes on.

Yeah, I am excited. That is 3 of us!

Where are you Kimberly??? I know you want to do this too.

shshshhh
11-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Kim

Count me in too. I have slacked off some because the weather here in the northwest has gotten chillier and wetter. I had been religiously swimming three miles a week when my apartment pool was open this summer but 'not so much' now, even though I do have a lovely pool to swim in, but I drive there and somehow although I mean to go, stuff seems to get in the way. :)

I walked 45 minutes today to a "walk away the pounds" DVD.

Thanks for doing this.
Roberta

marzbe
11-11-2007, 04:48 PM
My arms and I are in as the cheerleader. :cheer2::wl::cheer:

I'm still trying to squeeze in workouts 3-4 afternoons a week, but seeing that I'm constantly moving 300 pound racks all day at work, I'm not as religious as I am during the warmer non-xmas season month. Plus, I have a parade to march in 11 days, my body has to be ready for that stamina. Especially since I'm on a balloon with no vehicle, talk about an amazing resistance workout.

BarbaraB
11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Ooh, I should join in, as my walking challenge from work is almost done (just about to go and walk my last 3 miles and I will have in the 50 miles).

So yesterday I did 1 hour spin cycling class and 30 minutes of toning and weights

Pastrey
11-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I will join in. Just joined new gym, so will give me some extra incentive to actually go and use it!! :)

Kim0303
11-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I am excited to see all you ladies here.

Barbara, 50 miles! WOW! That is awesome. I also see you are where I started and are where I would love to be. How long did it take you to get to 160? I feel like I can't get out of the 180s. I am going to follow the menu she gave me Saturday and if I don't lose this week. I am going to have a tantrum!!!

Megan, are you going to be in the Macey's parade??? If so what balloon are your going to be on. We will have to watch for you! How fun is that??? WOW.

Later

amy2liz30
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
All 4 of my grandparents have passed. :(
I would have needed to walk 1500-1800 miles.
I would love to join you in this endevour.
Kim, I need to know more about plan 4 as I am training for a marathon and do super amounts of exercise. I ran out of weight loss weeks a few days ago. Can you send me the exchange amounts?

BarbaraB
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi... Yea! Got my 50 miles in! So happy. So that was 45 minutes yesterday, and got out of bed and went to spin cycling class this morning for another hour of cardio (substitute instructor was killer). Also managed about 10 minutes of toning before class... So far since Saturday that makes 205 minutes....

myboysnme2
11-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I'll play too! I am also struggling since the weather has changed. I am doing a 1/2 marathon on Super Bowl Sunday in Huntington Beach so no time for slacking!

amy2liz30 - Which marathon are you training for? Is this your first? I have done 3 fulls and 3 1/2's now. I have decided I'm a 1/2 marathon girl from here on out. I am actually coaching for the American Stroke Association and it doesn't leave much time to train myself! Anxious to hear what you are doing...

KimS

amy2liz30
11-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Hello KimS
I am training for the PF Changs Rock and Roll marathon in Pheonix.
It it my first marathon and I am training to WALK it.
I am having a hard time with my food as after my long walks I am HUNGRY

amy2liz30
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I am training with the Leukemia and Lymphoma society Team in Training.

emmysmom
11-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Count me in, Kim...I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

marzbe
11-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Today was 1.8 miles with the dogs and 22 minutes of resistance training. Plus moving about 15 200 pound racks during the day.

It's the circus ballon cluster this year, I trained on them yesterday and am I going to miss being on one of the big balloons with the trucks underneath. Talk about an arm resistance work-out, after looping for a mile with the balloon I ached the rest of the day. :balloons: But that could be the fact that I had on a t-shirt, a vest, and 2 sweatshirts layered--got to love the snowman look. I did do the loops with Shrek afterwards--it's an awesome balloon.

Yes I know it's quite pathetic how excited I get about Thanksgiving every year. :thanks2:

Tuesday Cool
11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
I walked 1 hour (2.5 miles)today. I think I only bothered because of this challenge! thanks, T

shshshhh
11-13-2007, 02:24 AM
I swam 45 minutes today. Thanks sooooo much for this challenge.
I am inspired. :):cheer2::cheer2::cheer::cheer::swim:

amy2liz30
11-13-2007, 09:30 AM
1.6 miles Monday during the day (am/pm break)
5 miles Monday night
2 miles Tuesday morning.
Total 8.6 as of Tuesday morning at 8:33

myboysnme2
11-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello KimS
I am training for the PF Changs Rock and Roll marathon in Pheonix.
It it my first marathon and I am training to WALK it.
I am having a hard time with my food as after my long walks I am HUNGRY

amy2liz30
I am a walker too. No running for this girl! I spent 5 seasons with TNT, I hope you are having a good experience. I'm not much help with the eating after part...I was always starving! Have you talked to your COD? I know when I trained for my last 1/2 they moved me up to the next plan, not sure what they would do if you are training for a full.

Good luck! It's in January correct?

KimS

emmysmom
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
2 miles this morning on the treadmill.

amy2liz30
11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Well my weight loss weeks just ran out and the center is over 50 miles away from where I work now. It used to be just minutes from my place of employment but I was transferred to an office much closer to home. Currently I am on plan 3. This weekend is out 19 mile walk. I am getting worried as I still have $1300 to raise. Yes the marathon is January 13 and there is TIME LIMIT. I had my personal best walk time last night on the treadmill I was able to do 5 miles in 72 minutes.

Other posters, anyone know the protions for plan 4?

Kim0303
11-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Amy, I was just going to ask someone else to PM you with plan 4. Things have been crazy at my house!!! Hopefully someone will answer you. If not, let me know and I wil keep digging.

Monday, 2 miles in 45 minute
Tuesday, 2 1/2 miles in one hour. I had incline added to the treadmill so I went at a slower pace.

You ladies are rocking!!!

Hang in there!

emmysmom
11-14-2007, 10:11 AM
2.25 miles on the treadmill this morning...I'm with Tuesday...I only did that much because of this challenge, so thanks! :hug:

whatazoo
11-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Monday - 1 mile (20 minutes) on the treadmill and then 3.25 miles (15 minutes) on the recumbent bike
Tuesday - 1 mile (16 minutes) on the treadmill and 3.25 miles (15 min) on the recumbent bike

I will keep checking in, hopefully my internet will be back on at home so I can post my results at the end of the day. Don't do the recumbent bike until afternoon at work.

I am the same way as others - I wouldn't have continued on to the one mile mark on the treadmill if it hadn't been for the group. I know it's not alot, but I guess it's better than me sleeping in!! LOL

shshshhh
11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Did a 45 minute 'Walk Away the Pounds Walk and Kick" DVD yesterday and swam this morning. Thanks again, Kim, for this challenge. I am like the others who said it inspired me to actually get out and "do it".

Roberta

BarbaraB
11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey all, Yesterday I did nothing (felt good!)
Today I woke up and did the spin cycling class again (1 hour)
and 10 minutes of toning.

so lets see for the week 275 minutes so far

ooodsie
11-14-2007, 03:12 PM
hey everyone! i'd love to join in.. i need some accountability for exercise. monday i did 30 minutes split between the treadmill and bike, tuesday i did the same but also did some ab exercises after, and today i did a 20 minute workout video called yoga booty ballet, hahaha. but it definitly got a sweat worked up for me!

whatazoo
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Only 1 mile on the treadmill both Wednesday and Thursday (16 minutes each day). Hopefully tomorrow can get a turn on the recumbent bike as well. Boy, I can sure feel the burn in my legs!

Pastrey
11-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Resistance training for a half hour on Tuesday and a half hour today. Not as active as I had hoped, but sure that will turn around soon. We had a fire drill today, so 16 flights of stairs as well if that counts ;)

Tuesday Cool
11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
75 minutes of yoga and 15 minutes fast walking today. I feel great! T:carrot:

BarbaraB
11-16-2007, 09:53 PM
another spin cycling class (with the instructor that doesn't ride so he kills us!) So that was about an hour and 15 minutes on the bike. So 350 minutes... dang missed 6 hours by 10 minutes.... oh well... I was going to get on the elliptical last night, but I laid in bed in flannel pjs instead...

shshshhh
11-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Did 45 minutes walk yesterday and today and threw in 10 minutes toning on the ball with weights for good measure.

This is really exciting.
Roberta

whatazoo
11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Walked 1 mile on the treadmill Friday. I think I am coming down with another sinus infection (last one was 2 weeks ago) so I think I'll take it easy this weekend. I know, a mile isn't very far, but I don't want to be sick over T-giving...

Kim0303
11-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Ladies, Glad to see you were busy. I had a toothache and had some dental work done to get reday for a root canal next Tuesday. Wiped me out for exercise that night. Then I got sick and still sick with bad sinus infection, ear ache etc. So I haven't been exercising. Just got up a few minutes ago. Go as long as I can and then back to bed. Email me all your totals for the week and I will get them posted on one of my up times. Hang in there you are doing great. Hopefully, I will be better after I get the the Dr. on monday and the Dentist on tuesday.

shshshhh
11-17-2007, 09:19 PM
Walked for 45 minutes today. This is so empowering.
Thanks again Kimberly for starting this one.
It really makes a difference.

Roberta:running::thanks2:

Kim0303
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Ladies, if you want me to post totals for the week, send them to me in a PM.
If you want to just keep sending in your daily time that is fine too. This is for you.
Congratulations to everyone that exercised ANY amount this week!!!!

Kim0303
11-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Ok Ladies, I have a 1 pm appt with the Dr. So maybe I can get back in the swing of things with you. Keep on doing that exercise!

shshshhh
11-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Took yesterday off and walked 45 minutes today in the pouring rain. Then the sun came out,

Hey, does that count as swimming too?:lol::lol:

Roberta

Kim0303
11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah Roberta, I am getting ready to go walk on the treadmill while watching the biggest loser. Maybe that will motivate me. My upper gum line is sore from the root canal but I will see how long I can walk.

Kim0303
11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Ok, I guess you ladies are busy with the holiday! Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving. I am starting to feel like a person again.

shshshhh
11-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Swam 64 laps (1 mile) this morning. Went to a "night before Thanksgiving" party tonight and actually passed up the chocolate 10 (yes, I said 10) layer cake. The biggest thing I ever saw and pizza. Opted for the meatballs, which I counted as 1 1/2 proteins, 2 fruits (it was in sweet and sour sauce) and a fat (for good measure). Loaded up on the veggies and felt so triumphant. We shall see what the scale says on Saturday, but so far, I did good.

Roberta

Tuesday Cool
11-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello, I have not posted recently but I stayed with my usual routine of yoga two days (1 hour) and walked 45mins twice. I did a two hour yoga class this morning. It was the greatest experience! We focused on being thankful for our bodies, we acknowledged how our bodies worked for us and carried our spirits from place to place. We thanked ourselves and those around us.
We selfishly took our practice so that we could in turn go and give selflessly to others.
I had gone in to class stressed that I had too much to do and really should not take time for myself. I left knowing that by taking care of myself first I was better prepared to take care of others.
Really quite the was to start a day that can be filled with many pitfalls.
:yoga:

Kim0303
11-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah Roberta, You should be real proud of yourself!
Yeah Tuesday for going to class!

Pastrey
11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Okay, last week I only got in an hour of exercise, but am aiming for more again this week. I am making it my goal to get in 5 hours of exercise - plan to work out an hour each morning before work :)

Tuesday Cool
11-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Patsy, i am with you on the 5 hours this week. I am aiming for the same. Lets show our bodies how its done! T