Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Is TOM REALLY to blame??

I could have eaten everything in the house and maybe even the siding this week (including today)!! I know TOM is going to show up just any second, but I don't remember this being so bad before. What is up with this!? I have been doing SO WELL and then all of a sudden the last few days I have felt like I could even eat the paint off the wall.

Just curious if it is all in my mind or if TOM really is the culprit here. WHAT, if anything, can be done to stop this madness!? This is ridiculous!!

I SO DESPERATELY want to reach my Christmas Gift Contest goal, but if I keep letting little things sneak in like the past few days, I'm not going to make it! I keep doing a lot of self talk, but these cravings are more powerful than that talk, at times. HELP!!!! LOL!

As always, thanks for "listening."
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I don't know if TOM is really to blame. I do know for a lot of people it causes some cravings. But it could be many things. Are you bored? Looking for something to keep your hands busy? You could take the time you're thinking about cravings to make little signs on post-it notes or sharpee some nice sayings on your hands about how you DON'T want to eat everything in the house!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

I had the same problem during my last TOM which fell right at Halloween. I thought I was going to go crazy! I gave in a little, but then I made myself walk more than usual. I've been drinking a lot of the diet Swiss Miss. It fills me up and gives me a chocolate fix for only 25 calories.

When the cravings hit go try on some clothes that you couldn't wear before you started losing weight or go for a walk do anything you can to get your mind off of eating. I'm sure this will pass you just have to be strong. Remember you are in control.
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #4  
Reformed Quitter

S/C/G: 302/267/155

Height: 5' 8"

You're no crazier than I am because 2 days before that TOM for me I feel the same way. Taking a shower/bath/brushing my teeth/going for a walk, NOTHING takes away the intense desire to eat... ANYTHING!

The body needs what it needs - I'm slowly learning to do what I can to make what it gets (in response to needs) healthier.

Best to you,

Janet

Last edited by CABunnyGirl; 11-09-2007 at 05:07 PM.
CABunnyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I've really noticed too that I'm hungrier the week before TOM. And the week before last was the worst so far. It is a very intense hunger or need to munch! Mine was Halloween too, not so fun. One thing I did that helped was to break my food up into about six meals, rather than three. That way I could pass through the kitchen and grab something ever hour or two and I felt like I was eating all day. I consumed much NSA cocoa and fudgesicles too. And I did have a little bit of chocolate.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #6  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I've totally had this experience too. I read somewhere that they (whoever "they" are :P) found that before TOM we all become hypoglycemic, and hence the cravings because our blood sugar is all over the place. For me, it better to eat more carbs (healthy carbs, like high fiber whatever or potatoes) at that time, rather than vegies. For some reason the vegies just make the problem worse, but having a carb rich diet (though within the plan) for a couple of days seems to settle things down. That and I talk on the phone a lot--for reason I always feel lesss hungry afterwards
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #7  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Lately I've noticed that I've been feeling a lot hungrier than normal and 1,500 calories doesn't fill me up like it has been, but if I eat over 1,500 calories I always gain weight... so I really need to stick to my plan but it's so hard! The thing is, I'm not on my period, so I can't blame it on TOM
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ritzy, I don't know if it is TOM or something else, there's really no way to know for sure.

I do know for me, that I definitely have times where I am more "munched" then others and it makes staying on plan SOOO much more difficult. Those cravings really ARE miserable when they hit, evil in fact. But just because we're having a craving, doesn't mean we HAVE to give into them. I know, it's easier said then done, but really that's the bottom line. Thankfully those muchie periods always pass, and they can last for days at a time, but when they do pass, oh what a relief it is. They do pass quicker the less I give into those stupid cravings, without a doubt.

When the seemingly uncontrollable muchies hit, I do my best to do something to take my mind off of it. For me, that usually means straightening up the house - whether it be clearing up a messy drawer, ironing, laundry, sweeping, cleaning the floors, the bathroom - the whatever - just SOMETHING. Then there's doing some exercise, coming on the computer, doing some paperwork, - anything to just get me out of the moment. In fact, I just made a list of all the little extra things I've been wanting to do around the house and never seem to find time for - this list is for the sole purpose of distracting me when I feel like eating just for the sake of eating, not real hunger, though of course it really does contain things that need to be done.

I also find that drinking helps. Either lots of water, some hot tea or flavored seltzer.

Ritzy, you've done a great job already and will continue to do so. Take confidence that this is just a minor blip in the road, surely to pass. Hang in there and by all means hang TOUGH.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I have very extreme TOM and PMS symptoms including hunger and cravings. For years, I struggled, mostly unsuccessfully, every month with trying not to undo all of the progress I would make the other weeks. For me, avoiding sugar and flour and other processed and simple carbs help alot. Whole grains, lean protein and veggies. I cut back even on fruit during the week before and week of, because high glycemic carbs really bring on craving.

Changing my birth control has helped like nothing else, though. I basically am able to avoid TOM symptoms and cravings, by avoiding TOM. I do the BC that reduces periods to 4 per year. This is an extreme solution though, and like all bc does come with risks and side effects you need to discuss with your doctor before considering.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

TOM speeds up your metabolism. Women are designed to eat more than they normally would at that time without gaining weight. It has to do with all the blood you're losing/body realizing there's no baby to prepare for/etc. Your body naturally tries to give you more nutrients to replace the ones you're losing.

It's okay to eat bit more when you get TOM. Just don't over-do it. Plus, the emotional comfort of a bite of chocolate or two [or a couple bites of whatever your craving] will do you more good than getting stressed out and causing your body to start retaining the stuff you eat.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #11  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

TOM definitely effects my eating, and this one has been a doosey for me as well. I think (for me at least) it's a combination of TOM, the change in seasons (it's finally getting cold here) and the fact that I've had a couple good cycles in a row, so I was almost "overdue" for a rough one. You'll get through it!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, I get ravenous the week before TOM too. Then at some point during it I get less hungry than usual. So I'm going to try to respond to those cravings now, the before and after, and hope it balances out.

I've gone on birth control a few times to stop TOM for a few months at a time, when going on my trip to Africa and then on my trip to Asia. (Large woman + squat toilets + TOM = DISASTER!) My doctor was monitoring it. I still felt PMS-y around what would have been TOM, but maybe things are different with the 4-a-year pills.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The doctor heading our weight loss clinic, suggested that I stack the bc I was using (I actually just skip the placebo week, but every 3 months, I use 5 of the 7 of the placebo days). She said it was virtually the same as taking Yasmin or Seasonique, but cheaper. She said that progestin seems to be the hormone to blame for severe cravings during TOM. She also warned me that for the first few months, I might still have residual pms and even spotting around what would have been my period, and that the first full period, might be worse than normal (which turned out to be an understatement), but that it would stabilize.

This has been true for me (except I didn't experience spotting). It hasn't been a miracle cure, because like most of us, I overeat for more than one reason. For me, it's just one more tool that makes this job a little more manageable.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote