South Beach Diet - Newbie with some questions

View Full Version : Newbie with some questions

WANNABEMOM
11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello ladies,
I am new here my husband and I have been trying to conceive and I was just told I have poor egg quaility due to uncontrolled diabetes so my Dr. recommended SBD. I will be starting hopefully tomorrow or monday I need to go shopping for some yummy SBD friendly foods.
Can we have ketchup or mayo?
Thanks for all of your help :)
I look forward to chatting with you girls

GONNABE165
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
:wel3fc: Glad you found us. Be sure to check out the South Beach section as you will find all sorts of info as well as supportive people.Good luck and keep us posted.

beachgal
11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
:welcome3: WannabeMom! I started SBD with the same motivation--to make my body one that could healthily conceive, so I can totally relate.

Since it's really important that you follow the plan carefully to help your diabetes, please ensure that you read the book fully before you start. It also helps you plan for success if you get rid of any non-SBD foods in your house and stock the house with, as you said so well, "yummy SBD food!" :D Read the FAQ for lots of good information and make sure you read the newest Phase 1 list BEFORE you go shopping, since there have been some changes (all good ones) since the book was written.

Ketchup is not allowed, but if you can find a sugar free ketchup, that would be fine. It's the sugar that's a problem, not the tomatoes. Mayo is fine as long as it doesn't have sugar...so real mayo is okay but Miracle Whip is not. Full fat mayo is the best, since it has good fats and light tends to have sugar in place of the fat.

Glad to have you with us! :wave:

Ruthxxx
11-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey! You need to get that diabetes in control as well. I'm Type II and find SBD really makes a difference. There is a part of this site called Dieting With Obstacles that has a Section on Diabetes.

WANNABEMOM
11-08-2007, 03:31 PM
thank you so so so much you girls are fab!!!!!! :)
Where would I find the updated list of SBD phase 1 foods??

wifey bullseye
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Welcome! In the South Beach Diet sub-forum called SBD Frequently Asked Questions, there is a sticky titled "Phase I Foods - Most Current Version". This is a super helpful list. I gave it to a co-worker of mine on Monday, and she is already losing weight! (And reluctantly, so is her hubby! ;))

I have restarted with Phase 1, too. Since Monday, I have seen the scale tip towards the good, and so has my hubby. There is so much good stuff we can eat - but as others have said, be sure to read the book. It lays a great foundation for this lifestyle.

Good luck and keep us posted on any future 'baby' news.

tomandkara
11-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with all of your new eating habits, and post often!

Kara

jenne1017
11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
:welcome:

I see your questions have been answered so just here to say HI! :carrot: