Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default What's your longest plateau??

I've been stuck between 236 and 237.8 for the past two weeks... I'm not eating junk (even with halloween here, I'm too annoyed to eat any treats!).

I've been walking 4 km per day (religiously).
I've cut out my caffine intake completely
I'm probably consuming about 1300 - 1500 cals

I've completely cut back on salty foods (heck a friend gave me a "multigrain chip" to try... and it was WAYYYYY too salty!!!)

what's up. Muscle gain? My muscles are sore and they haven't been this sore in quite some time now.

And my acid reflux is acting up again with a vengance!!!! Nothing is making it better... I tried Apple Cider Vinegar (which used to stop the pain within minutes) and it just made me worse!! FIL thinks it's an ulcer, so I'm going to have to go see my doctor when I can get away from work.

Oh yeah, and TOM has been over for a week

Last edited by tamaralynn; 11-01-2007 at 09:10 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

HAng in there. We're gonna get you through this.

The first thing that jumps out at me, is you say you're PROBABLY eating between 1300 & 1500 calories. The truth is those calories have a real sneaky and annoying way of adding up. Are you really and truly tracking them, measuring, writing everything down? Cause if not, well there may be the answer.

As far as gaining muscle, that takes months and months to occur, not sure how long you're at this for.

What types of foods are you eating, protein, fiber, veggies? I find I lose better when I eat those foods.

But 2 weeks is not a very long time and you did say you're going through TOM, which could be a factor. It can be very hard sometimes when we do all the "right" things and we don't see a loss for a couple of weeks. But hopefully the very next week you WILL see a drop in the scale. Our bodies are very strange sometimes and this is a common occurence.

I would try tracking my calories VERY CLOSELY for a couple of weeks. See how the weight loss goes. You can adjust your calories if need be at that point. You may want to add in some exercise too. Change things up a bit. Add some strength training. That really is vital.

Just hang in there. Tweak things around a bit. You're doing great. The scale will drop. Just keep at it. You'll get there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I didn't lose one pound between Feb 2005 and June 2005.

Two weeks isn't really long enough to call it a plateau! Sounds like you are on the right track, just keep going!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I had an 18 month plateau... kind of
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #5  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

1. Track your calories VERY VERY carefully.

2. Measure yourself. If you're losing inches, you're not on a plateau. Your body is just redistributing.

Best wishes!

Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Three and a half months as of right now. I agree with Glory. I don't think you can really call two weeks a plateau. Most people don't lose every single weeks. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but they are exceptions. I wouldn't start changing anything yet, I would wait a bit longer before deciding to change things up. Keep going!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #7  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I was stuck at 207 for 6 weeks.

I agree with Robin, the thing that jumped out at me is you're PROBABLY consuming 1300-1500 calories. Track, weigh and measure for a couple of weeks, I'll bet you're eating more than you think.

Look at the bright side, you're not gaining weight!! You're just practicing maintenance, that's all.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

I'm into my 3rd month of no weight loss in spite of tracking my food daily (1600-2000 calories/day) and exercising a minimum of 1 hour per day on average (cardio intervals, swimming, pilates and strength training).

Trust me, I know how frustrating it can be to have the scale not move. What is saving my sanity and keeping the frustration in check is the wonderful people here, the fact that my measurements are decreasing and the simple fact that I am feeling so good.

Yes, I want and need to lose more weight. Yes, it is leaving very slowly. I simply can't give in to the frustration though because I know that eventually the weight will leave. (It will, won't it? <smile>)
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I have gone a few weeks without a weight loss, it kind of freaks me out, but I accept it and get over it.. I would wait another 2 wks, if not shake something up, maybe more exercise?? I eat between 1400 and 1600 calories and am able to lose weight just fine.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #10  
I'm a Loser ;)

Thanks everyone When I say probably between 1300 - 1500 calories, I mean most likely closer to the 1300 (and probably even less).

For example, yesterday I ate (dont' get mad, I wasn't feeling well!)

- Granola bar for breakfast (150 cals)
- Veggie sticks for lunch (no clue how many calories) - I threw away the dip
- Piece of toast (dry) and a small bowl of cereal (1/2 cup cereal 1/4 cup milk) for supper. All together about 350 cals.

The day before I ate:

1 yoghurt for breakfast
Lean cuisine for lunch
1 egg, a cup of cooked spinach with lemon juice (no butter/oils) and toast for supper.

Hubby is getting ticked off at me for not eating enough. Heck my 6 and 9 year old KIDS are eating more than me!

But! I have plenty of energy! (lots!!!) I'm not tired (except for this morning, my son was up all night throwing up) just sore muscles.

Thanks for your support all. LOL I just kick myself when I can't lose at least half a pound a week.

Oh yeah... I don't drink pop, juice or coffee. I drink tea with honey in the morning. And water.

I will have an occasional friday night ceasar with no rim (I hate it too salty anyway, I can't handle salt anymore like I used to) when the kids are gone to grandparents.

Gonna find a good measuring ribbon - thanks for the idea Cassie

Weighed in this morning at 234.6 lbs - I don't know if that's my true weight or just because I hadn't eaten much over the last couple of days from having a sore tummy.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 11-02-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Your hubby may be right... If you aren't eating enough, that could cause a stall as well.

Since you aren't feeling well, I'm sure those aren't your typical menus. What do you eat on a normal day?
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 PM   #12  
I'm a Loser ;)

My menu for a normal day is .... Usually just a little more for dinner. Same for breakfast and lunch. I may have a healthy snack (trail mix, fruit or veggies) at some point through the day. I usually just skip snacks altogether though.

I'm getting my Nexium today *jumps for joy*. I'll feel better by tomorrow
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

My first inclination is to say 1998 through May, 2007.

I've been pretty lucky in that I've actually never gone more than a few days without a loss of some kind. But sometimes I can kind of feel it coming on and I switch things up for a week or so; different foods, change the type of cardio I do, change the days I lift weights. It seems that maybe it's easier to keep the plateau from coming at all than to try and get past it once you've got it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't know what kind of bar you are eating, but granola bars are generally full of sugar. I really try to get a good, protein-laden breakfast and stay away from the sugar. It gets the furnace burning and always seems to set me up for a good day. Eggs, turkey bacon or sausage, or cottage cheese or yogurt, maybe some cheese, and then I throw in some veggies where I can - in an omelet, a glass of V8. My breakfasts are usually around 300 calories.

If you are eating a 1300 calories/day and only having a granola bar and some veggies before dinner, then you are having an 1100 calorie dinner. Even with some trail mix, your dinner would almost be 1000 calories. Maybe you need to spread the calories out more. Eating that much late in the day may not be good.

I would definitely keep a food journal for a while so you really have a good idea of what and when you're eating.

Finally, I wouldn't panic. I just had a couple weeks where I didn't lose, but I don't think I'm plateauing. You are doing great with your exercise, and if you tweak your food and make sure you are eating healthy, I'm sure it will start to come off again. You need your energy to keep up with those kids!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #15  
I'm a Loser ;)

Thanks!!

I wish I had the time to cook a wholesome breakfast - I'm up at 5am to get everything ready to go for the day - get the kids up and ready to go to sitters. I leave for work at around 6:10 (I get there an hour later to start at 7:30). I eat my breakfast between 7:10 - 7:30

Unfortunately I'll be stuck eating quick things I eat the Nature Valley granola bars - I never thought to look at the sugar content.