Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default 'VOLUMETRICS' - Nov/Dec 2007

Welcome . . . . . . Thought we should have a new start once again . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...s_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .

Last edited by meowee; 11-04-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Hey! I will eat no candy before its time.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

Just got back from the afternoon of "shop 'til you drop" that usually makes up most of my exercise on a Thursday and just had my newest 'food find' -- a Honeycrisp apple; if you haven't tried them, I suggest that you do; very sweet and very crisp :yes -- for an afternoon snack.

October was pretty good for me; I actually did a little formal exercise just about every day. Plan to keep up the good work for November. My added goal for this month is to kick my Cool Whip "habit". I've become totally addicted to the evil, evil, HFCS that they stick in there. Now, there is nothing wrong with a little Cool Whip; but for me, it has become like chocolate or ice cream; no such thing as a little.

Hope everybody is having a great OP day . . . keep on doing the good stuff, gang . . .
Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi everyone,
It was a good day. I had a big salad for dinner Have a great night
Old 11-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #5  

Ha! Funny you should mention Honeycrisp apples. I got some a while back, and they were so sour I couldn't eat them. The grocery had them again, yesterday, so I asked the produce man about them. He opened one and we tried it. Still really sour. So, Linda, my question is, are they supposed to be like Granny Smith, only more so? I really don't like such a tart apple. Gives me chills.

I spent $27 was for produce! Delicious and Cameo apples, red and orange cherry tomatoes, red/yellow/green pepper, butternut squash, grapes, pears, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, cabbage and one avocado for a treat! I already have lettuce cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli. I see some stir-fries in my future!

My food choices have not been stellar the last couple of days. I haven't even mentioned the Marie Callandar's coconut cream pie. I bought it at work for some charity thing. I am not crazy about coconut, so I figured I would be able to leave it alone. Well, it was covered with whipped cream, which my DH doesn't care for, so I scraped the whipped cream off, had a few tastes and then had to taste the pie, too. It was really, really good. I ate a total of less than a "normal" sized piece of pie, but it is just one more thing to slow my progress. MY DH ate the whole rest of the pie over the course of two days. It is a wonder he is still alive!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . . OOPS . . . Good Afternoon . . .

One day "clean and sober" (NO COOL WHIP).

Wow GAIL, strange . . . Honeycrisp apples (at least to my taste buds) are very sweet. They are really crisp, too. Actually, quite well named, IMHO. I don't like an apple as tart as a Granny Smith either. Before discovering these, I was an advocate of Golden Delicious. Something about the texture of the Red Delicious that turns me off.

We have another nice sunny day . . . but it is windy again . . . and apparently this is just the proverbial "lull" before the "storm". We are being told to prepare for a direct hit from Tropical Storm Noel which is kindly missing the US coast completely on it's way up here. Although it is not expected to be upgraded to hurricane status, we are expecting winds of 75 to 80 mph and upwards of 4 inches of rain over the course of tomorrow.

Well, I'd better get moving since I still have a little shopping to get done and it definitely sounds like tomorrow will be a stay-home kind of day. See you later . . .
Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #7  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Here in Michigan there are a lot of orchards, so we can get our apples fresh off the trees. Honeycrisps are also one of my favorites, and they're supposed to be sweet. The bushel of apples I bought for applesauce were honeycrisp, in fact, and were so sweet that I didn't need to add sugar. Maybe they just don't travel well.

I've been trying to give away our extra candy, but no one wants or needs it. I feel guilty asking overweight people if they want candy. I probably should just throw it away, but that seems so wasteful.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #8  

Well, I would say that I haven't had the right Honeycrisp apple yet! Certainly the name sounds like it should be sweet. They want something like $2.50USD per pound for them, which is pretty pricey if they aren't like they are supposed to be. I am not crazy about red Delicious apples, either, but the ones I got are pretty good.

I made the Butternut squash soup recipe that I got from the cooking light web-site. It is the one that calls for dark beer. I used O'Doul's Amber. It is quite tasty and easy aside from cutting up the squash, which is pretty much aerobic exercise. It has less than 150 cal per serving and would be good with bread and a salad for lunch or supper.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #9  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I guess I need to check out the cooking light website- I'm always looking for new recipes. Do any of you subscribe or look at the recipe threads under the 3fatchicks site? Is it OK to post recipes on this thread?

Linda- I saw the weather prediction for your upcoming storm- at this point, it looks pretty impressive!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #10  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Back again after a hectic couple of weeks. Long story short, family emergency out of state, hospital food, diet? what diet, all is well, back home and back on track but gained back some of what I'd lost. The ticker only moves down so I'm not adjusting it. Maybe next week I can drop it down a pound.

I've had honeycrisp apples and they are sweet and crunchy. I can't stand red delicious - they are mealy. I like Granny Smiths but sometimes like a sweet apple. I love fall, not just because the weather is cooler, but because of all the different varieties of apples in the stores!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #11  

I subscribe to Cooking Light. My only complaint is that they have too much other stuff besides cooking. Some of the recipes are pretty complicated, but useful for getting ideas.

Someone else asked about posting recipes here. I think the answer was that it is fine. I would like them here because I don't always look at recipes in the designated recipe threads.

I got a new gas grill. It is just wonderful for grilling veggies. I put sweet pepper, onion rings, cauliflower and a small par-boiled potato on the grill and they all got nice grill marks and were cooked to "tender-crisp" very quickly. Before tossing on the grill, I put all the veggies on a plate and gave them a couple of shots of olive oil flavored cooking spray. This is another of those "absolutely no deprivation" dishes, and it doesn't even require a recipe.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #12  

Hey, bobbijean, welcome home! Sorry to hear there has been illness in your family.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Hi Everybody . . .

LIZ . . . posting resipes on here is not only okay, it's totally encouraged. If you can look back at a few of the older VOLUMETRICS threads, you will find a few. If I get a chance later, I'll see if I can round them up and copy them over here for us. BTW . . . have you gotten rid of that candy yet?

GAIL . . . Keep hunting . . . a good Honeycrisp is worth it . . . Liz might be right about the not travelling well, though -- ours were local as well.

BOBBIGENE . . . I'm with you, Chickie . . . no westward movement of tickers for me either.

Well I now have 2 (and almost a half) NO CW days under my belt. ME. Also . . . so far, anyway, the weather today is just very overcast, and not even particularly windy; but the weather station is still yelping the word HURRICANE every time I turn them on. Supposed to be at it's worst between 7pm tonight and 7am tomorrow morning. Hope they are wrong. Guess it's better to be over-warned than under-warned, of course.

Anyway . . . have a great moving and shaking day, gang . . . . . . See you all later (if I hve power )
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #14  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Try Gala apples---sweet, juicy and not tart at all!

I love apples but not soft mushy ones or hard sour ones like Granny Smith (which BTW are "technically" supposed to be a baking apple) which my DH loves! Go figure! I guess, he is just so sweet by himself he doesn't need any extra sweetening.

Try the GALA ones. They are smaller but they are yellow and red--sort of swirly---they come from Michigan--and they have been on the market for the past two-three weeks. I have one or two every day! The juice runs down the side of your mouth. They really satisfy my taste for something sweet and crunchy.

I can only imagine them as a caramel apple, that is if I had the inclination towards one! LOL
Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #15  

I like Gala, Fuji, Cameo and a couple of others whose names escape me at the moment. I had a Gala today. I sure don't know how anyone can eat a Granny Smith. They totally set my teeth on edge. Shiver.....

I am going to Michigan on the 19th of November. I hope there will still be some local apples available.

I made an interesting salad from a cookbook. It has roasted butternut squash, blackeye peas, sweet red pepper, and goat cheese with a spicy dressing all seasoned with marjoram. The only thing I changed from the original recipe is to roast the squash with a couple of squirts of PAM instead of a few Tbs of OO, and I used less oil in the dressing. The squash and the goat cheese are a really decadent mix.

I had pita pizzas for lunch. Whole wheat Pita with a little tomato paste, crumbled, cooked turkey sausage, carmelized onions and provolone cheese all sprinkled with Italian seasoning. Bake a few minutes in the Toaster-oven. I have made these little pizzas several times using different toppings and they are always good. I use the thinnest slice of provolone possible and the pizzas end up being pretty diet friendly. This is another "no deprivation" meal. Every bit as good or maybe even better than bought pizza - just less of it.

For breakfast, I cooked a turkey sausage (used half now and half for lunch). One egg omlette with a tbs chutney, wilted spinach, sausage and chopped mushrooms on the side.

The chutney and the carmelized onions I made myself. The chutney from Martha Stewart, is sweet, but has no oil. The onions are also sweet, but naturally sweet. I used Ina Garten's balsamic roasted onion recipe with very little oil. I froze both these condiments in serving sizes, so I just pick one out of the bag and let it thaw for a few minutes and plop it on my food.

Anyway, I don't mean to bore everyone with my food, but I had a truly wonderful food day - no deprivation, which is my goal. I would have been happy to get any of today's meals at a restaurant. And maybe best of all, I am well within my calorie allotment, even with all the cheese and sausage.
Closed Thread