LA Weight Loss - 'VOLUMETRICS' - Nov/Dec 2007

View Full Version : 'VOLUMETRICS' - Nov/Dec 2007

meowee
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Welcome . . . :welcome: . . . Thought we should have a new start once again . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diets_Detailed/Volumetrics_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
11-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey! I will eat no candy before its time.

meowee
11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi there . . .

Just got back from the afternoon of "shop 'til you drop" that usually makes up most of my exercise on a Thursday and just had my newest 'food find' -- a Honeycrisp apple; if you haven't tried them, I suggest that you do; very sweet and very crisp :yes -- for an afternoon snack.

October was pretty good for me; I actually did a little formal exercise just about every day. Plan to keep up the good work for November. My added goal for this month is to kick my Cool Whip "habit". I've become totally addicted to the evil, evil, HFCS that they stick in there. Now, there is nothing wrong with a little Cool Whip; but for me, it has become like chocolate or ice cream; no such thing as a little.

Hope everybody is having a great OP day . . . keep on doing the good stuff, gang . . . :carrot:

teacher1
11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone,
It was a good day. I had a big salad for dinner :) Have a great night

gailr42
11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Ha! Funny you should mention Honeycrisp apples. I got some a while back, and they were so sour I couldn't eat them. The grocery had them again, yesterday, so I asked the produce man about them. He opened one and we tried it. Still really sour. So, Linda, my question is, are they supposed to be like Granny Smith, only more so? I really don't like such a tart apple. Gives me chills.

I spent $27 was for produce! Delicious and Cameo apples, red and orange cherry tomatoes, red/yellow/green pepper, butternut squash, grapes, pears, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, cabbage and one avocado for a treat! I already have lettuce cauliflower, zucchini and broccoli. I see some stir-fries in my future!

My food choices have not been stellar the last couple of days. I haven't even mentioned the Marie Callandar's coconut cream pie. I bought it at work for some charity thing. I am not crazy about coconut, so I figured I would be able to leave it alone. Well, it was covered with whipped cream, which my DH doesn't care for, so I scraped the whipped cream off, had a few tastes and then had to taste the pie, too.:lol: :lol: It was really, really good. I ate a total of less than a "normal" sized piece of pie, but it is just one more thing to slow my progress. MY DH ate the whole rest of the pie over the course of two days. It is a wonder he is still alive!

meowee
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Good Morning . . . OOPS . . . Good Afternoon . . . :o

One day "clean and sober" (NO COOL WHIP).

Wow GAIL, strange . . . Honeycrisp apples (at least to my taste buds) are very sweet. They are really crisp, too. Actually, quite well named, IMHO. I don't like an apple as tart as a Granny Smith either. Before discovering these, I was an advocate of Golden Delicious. Something about the texture of the Red Delicious that turns me off. :dizzy:

We have another nice sunny day . . . but it is windy again . . . and apparently this is just the proverbial "lull" before the "storm". We are being told to prepare for a direct hit from Tropical Storm Noel which is kindly missing the US coast completely on it's way up here. Although it is not expected to be upgraded to hurricane status, we are expecting winds of 75 to 80 mph and upwards of 4 inches of rain over the course of tomorrow. :(

Well, I'd better get moving since I still have a little shopping to get done and it definitely sounds like tomorrow will be a stay-home kind of day. See you later . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Here in Michigan there are a lot of orchards, so we can get our apples fresh off the trees. Honeycrisps are also one of my favorites, and they're supposed to be sweet. The bushel of apples I bought for applesauce were honeycrisp, in fact, and were so sweet that I didn't need to add sugar. Maybe they just don't travel well.

I've been trying to give away our extra candy, but no one wants or needs it. I feel guilty asking overweight people if they want candy. I probably should just throw it away, but that seems so wasteful.

gailr42
11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, I would say that I haven't had the right Honeycrisp apple yet! Certainly the name sounds like it should be sweet. They want something like $2.50USD per pound for them, which is pretty pricey if they aren't like they are supposed to be. I am not crazy about red Delicious apples, either, but the ones I got are pretty good.

I made the Butternut squash soup recipe that I got from the cooking light web-site. It is the one that calls for dark beer. I used O'Doul's Amber. It is quite tasty and easy aside from cutting up the squash, which is pretty much aerobic exercise:lol:. It has less than 150 cal per serving and would be good with bread and a salad for lunch or supper.

ArtCat
11-03-2007, 11:10 AM
I guess I need to check out the cooking light website- I'm always looking for new recipes. Do any of you subscribe or look at the recipe threads under the 3fatchicks site? Is it OK to post recipes on this thread?

Linda- I saw the weather prediction for your upcoming storm- at this point, it looks pretty impressive!

bobbigene
11-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Back again after a hectic couple of weeks. Long story short, family emergency out of state, hospital food, diet? what diet, all is well, back home and back on track but gained back some of what I'd lost. The ticker only moves down so I'm not adjusting it. Maybe next week I can drop it down a pound.

I've had honeycrisp apples and they are sweet and crunchy. I can't stand red delicious - they are mealy. I like Granny Smiths but sometimes like a sweet apple. I love fall, not just because the weather is cooler, but because of all the different varieties of apples in the stores!

gailr42
11-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I subscribe to Cooking Light. My only complaint is that they have too much other stuff besides cooking. Some of the recipes are pretty complicated, but useful for getting ideas.

Someone else asked about posting recipes here. I think the answer was that it is fine. I would like them here because I don't always look at recipes in the designated recipe threads.

I got a new gas grill. It is just wonderful for grilling veggies. I put sweet pepper, onion rings, cauliflower and a small par-boiled potato on the grill and they all got nice grill marks and were cooked to "tender-crisp" very quickly. Before tossing on the grill, I put all the veggies on a plate and gave them a couple of shots of olive oil flavored cooking spray. This is another of those "absolutely no deprivation" dishes, and it doesn't even require a recipe.

gailr42
11-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey, bobbijean, welcome home! Sorry to hear there has been illness in your family.

meowee
11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Everybody . . . :wave:

LIZ . . . posting resipes on here is not only okay, it's totally encouraged. If you can look back at a few of the older VOLUMETRICS threads, you will find a few. If I get a chance later, I'll see if I can round them up and copy them over here for us. BTW . . . have you gotten rid of that candy yet?

GAIL . . . Keep hunting . . . a good Honeycrisp is worth it . . . Liz might be right about the not travelling well, though -- ours were local as well.

BOBBIGENE . . . I'm with you, Chickie . . . no westward movement of tickers for me either.

Well I now have 2 (and almost a half) NO CW days under my belt. :yay: ME. Also . . . so far, anyway, the weather today is just very overcast, and not even particularly windy; but the weather station is still yelping the word HURRICANE every time I turn them on. Supposed to be at it's worst between 7pm tonight and 7am tomorrow morning. Hope they are wrong. :( Guess it's better to be over-warned than under-warned, of course.

Anyway . . . have a great moving and shaking day, gang . . . :carrot: . . . See you all later (if I hve power :lol:)

pamatga
11-03-2007, 01:07 PM
:carrot:

I love apples but not soft mushy ones or hard sour ones like Granny Smith (which BTW are "technically" supposed to be a baking apple) which my DH loves! Go figure! I guess, he is just so sweet by himself he doesn't need any extra sweetening.

Try the GALA ones. They are smaller but they are yellow and red--sort of swirly---they come from Michigan--and they have been on the market for the past two-three weeks. I have one or two every day! The juice runs down the side of your mouth. They really satisfy my taste for something sweet and crunchy.

I can only imagine them as a caramel apple, that is if I had the inclination towards one! LOL:dizzy:

gailr42
11-03-2007, 11:26 PM
I like Gala, Fuji, Cameo and a couple of others whose names escape me at the moment. I had a Gala today. I sure don't know how anyone can eat a Granny Smith. They totally set my teeth on edge. Shiver.....

I am going to Michigan on the 19th of November. I hope there will still be some local apples available.

I made an interesting salad from a cookbook. It has roasted butternut squash, blackeye peas, sweet red pepper, and goat cheese with a spicy dressing all seasoned with marjoram. The only thing I changed from the original recipe is to roast the squash with a couple of squirts of PAM instead of a few Tbs of OO, and I used less oil in the dressing. The squash and the goat cheese are a really decadent mix.

I had pita pizzas for lunch. Whole wheat Pita with a little tomato paste, crumbled, cooked turkey sausage, carmelized onions and provolone cheese all sprinkled with Italian seasoning. Bake a few minutes in the Toaster-oven. I have made these little pizzas several times using different toppings and they are always good. I use the thinnest slice of provolone possible and the pizzas end up being pretty diet friendly. This is another "no deprivation" meal. Every bit as good or maybe even better than bought pizza - just less of it.:lol:

For breakfast, I cooked a turkey sausage (used half now and half for lunch). One egg omlette with a tbs chutney, wilted spinach, sausage and chopped mushrooms on the side.

The chutney and the carmelized onions I made myself. The chutney from Martha Stewart, is sweet, but has no oil. The onions are also sweet, but naturally sweet. I used Ina Garten's balsamic roasted onion recipe with very little oil. I froze both these condiments in serving sizes, so I just pick one out of the bag and let it thaw for a few minutes and plop it on my food.

Anyway, I don't mean to bore everyone with my food, but I had a truly wonderful food day - no deprivation, which is my goal. I would have been happy to get any of today's meals at a restaurant. And maybe best of all, I am well within my calorie allotment, even with all the cheese and sausage.

meowee
11-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi there . . . :wave:

Not boring me, at all . . . sounds like a great menu, GAIL. I :love: Feta cheese and it's so strong that a little goes a long way. I :love: Old Cheddar, too . . . but I want too much of it. :(

Just wanted to let you know that our little 'affair' with Hurricane Noel was not as bad as originally predicted. It has stopped raining and the sun is actually trying to break through the clouds from time to time. Forecasters are saying the wind should die down sometime this afternoon; we are still having gusts at 85 mph (140 kph). All in all, not too bad, though -- at least not right around my area, anyway. We had a pretty scary night with the wind rattling windows and shaking the house and the rain pounding down relentlessly . . . but, as of right now, Nova Scotia is still attached to North America (there were times last night I would not have been surprised to find that we'd been blown out to the mid-Atlantic somewhere :lol:).

Have a great day, everybody . . . see you soon . . . :carrot:

teacher1
11-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Linda- Glad to hear you're doing okay!

I agree that feta cheese is great. I only use a small amount on salads for a powerful taste.

KathleenP
11-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi, can someone fill me in alittle more about volumetrics? I tried the link for the reveiw, but couldn't find it. I did some searches for various foods and the only thing I found in the high category was oil. Even boston cream pie came out at 2.5 and in the medium category. I would have expected it to rank much higher with no fiber and all. What category are you supposed to be aiming at? Is there a daily point goal? Thanks for your help.

meowee
11-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi KATHLEEN . . . :welcome: to the Volumetrics thread and :wel3fc: also. Please give that link in the introductory post another try . . . it seems to be working fine for me. :yes:

The intro post explains the principles of Volumetrics in a nutshell -- eat foods high in water content and high in fibre content and you can't go to far wrong. This will include all vegetables (except potatoes) and all fruits (except dried ones like raisings and prunes and apricots. Don't forget you can make almost any food more volumetrics-friendly by turning it into a soup or a stew (i.e., adding water and veggies). If yoou look back over some of the older posts, you will find some volumetric recipes that we've posted over the months that will help you get started.

I really recommend that you pick up one of the books, either at the library or on-line through our Amazon link. The original book, in paperback is very reasonable at US $6.95 from Amazon and it contains a world of information.

Let me know if you are still having problems . . . look forward to seeing you around 3FC lots in the future. . . :hug:

meowee
11-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi again . . .

Just took a quick trip through some older Volumetrics threads and decided to pull forward a couple of recipes . . .

EXTRA EASY, EXTRA HEALTHY BEAN SALAD

4 cups Red Kidney Beans (2, 19 oz cans)
3 cups green beans (2, 14 oz cans)
3 cups yellow beans (2, 14 oz cans)
1 cup corn niblets (1 x 10 oz can)
1 cup chopped onion
cup FF Italian salad dressing

Rinse and drain all canned ingredients before measuring. Combine everything in a very large bowl and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving, stirring periodically.

Makes approximately 12 servings of 1 cup each with . . .
183 calories (net calories 162); Volumetrics ED of 0.5
1.1 gr fat; 18 gr carb, 5.2 gr fibre; (12.8 gr net carb) 5.8 gr protein

Chili Stoup

In a large dutch oven or small soup pot,
cook 1/2 lb lean ground beef until the pink is gone.
Stir in 1 package of chili seasoning
Add . . .
10 oz can condensed tomato soup;
28 oz can diced tomatoes;
2 x 28 oz cans water;
19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
750 mg (about 25 oz) package of Arctic Gardens frozen "spaghetti-vegetables", thawed slightly (combination of finely chopped onions, celery, red and green peppers)

Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer gently for at least two hours.

Makes about 15 cups at approximately 150 calories per cup. You can add more or less water to make it just about any consistendy you'd like. Just remember you will be adjusting the total calories, too.

Protein Pancakes
(makes two large for a total of about 330 calories, including syrup, and an averaged ED of approx. 1.1)

1/2 cup egg whites (ED .5)
1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese (ED .7)
1/2 cup dry oatmeal/rolled oats (not instant) (ED 1.9)

Throw it all in the blender and whiz until smooth (I use one of those little hand-held blender thingees). Spray your pan with some Pam and cook like any other pancake.

Top with 1/4 cup NSA maple-flavoured syrup (ED .5)

VOLUMETRICS MACARONI & CHEESE CASSEROLE

8 oz dry pasta (penne or fusilli, or similar size)
2 - 3 cups frozen cauliflower
2 - 3 cups frozen cut green beans
1 medium onion, diced

-- Cook pasta and veggies in salted water, drain.

1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups diced ham

-- Stir ham and tomatoes into veggie mixture.

-- Preheat oven to 350.
-- Spray large lasagna pan (or two 9 x 9 pans) with cooking spray.
-- Spread veggie tomato mixture in pan(s).

1 cups of skim milk
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 cup 1% cottage cheese
cup grated parmesan cheese

-- Make a basic white sauce with the skim milk and flour.
-- Stir in the cheeses and cook gently until smooth and thickened.
-- Pour over veggie ham mixture.
-- Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
-- Let stand 20 minutes before serving.

Makes 8 servings of about 2 1/2 cups each. Nutrition Information per serving 290 calories; 8 grams fat; 30 grams carb (5 grams fibre); 24 grams protein ED approximately 1.15

VOLUMETRICS CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE BARS (or Pudding)

Crust:
1 cup Fibre 1 Cereal, crushed
4 tsp light margarine

-- Mix together and press into bottom of sprayed 8 or 9 square pan

Filling:
1 cup FF cream cheese (250 gram tub)
2 cups FF Cool Whip, thawed
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tbsp Splenda

-- Mix together thoroughly with mixer or blender.
-- Spread over crust and refrigerate at least two hours before serving.

Makes 8 servings as bars, with crust . . .
ED of approximately 2.7
-- 110 calories; 3 grams fat; 16 grams carb (4 grams fibre); 5 grams protein

Makes 4 servings as a pudding, without crust . . .
ED of approximately 1.5
-- 150 calories; 2 grams fat; 10 grams carb (.5 gram fibre); 4 grams prot

KathleenP
11-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks Linda. The recipes look good. I will take a look back at the older posts. Thanks for the welcome, too!:hug:

meowee
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi there everybody . . . :wave:

gailr42
11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for posting the recipes.

Very glad to hear that you didn't get blown away! Those big storms are really freightening.

Along the lines of Volumetric food: I made the squash soup recipe from cooking light - I might have already mentioned this. anyway, it is good and easy to make.

Also, I am so thrilled with my grilled veggies. I did them again last night. I even grilled a couple of garlic cloves. The garlic and onion gets very sweet when cooked. I made a bed of spinach and watercress for the veggies and had a turkey patty on a half a piece of grilled french bread. All the veggies really filled up my plate.

meowee
11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
:drool: . . . and that reminds me, I forgot to buy garlic today . . . :mad:

ArtCat
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Gail- we use our grill a lot, too. I marinate pork steaks in a ziploc bag with cider vinegar, soy sauce and a splash of olive oil for an hour or two, and then just grill until tender. At the same time, I split medium sized zucchini and grill them. Put them face down first and grill until you get nice lines, then turn over and finish heating them from the back side. I sprinkle a little seasoned salt and Parmesan cheese on the face up side, and cook until they're warm but still somewhat crunchy. Yum!

I also got a new recipe I'm planning to try-

Apple Skewers
4 medium apples, peeled and quartered
4 tsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Coat grill with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Thread apples on 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.
Grill, covered, over med. heat or broil 4 inches from heat for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Turn; cook 8-10 minutes longer or until golden and tender. Serve warm, makes 4 servings.

I think you can omit or at least greatly reduce the sugar, but it sounds interesting.

meowee
11-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

Absolutely beautiful day in northern Nova Scotia -- sunny and temperature about 10C/50F. I was out running around with appointments and errands all afternoon and it was so nice.

Hope everybody is having a good day and staying OP, of course. See you tomorrow . . . :yes:

gailr42
11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Beautiful day here, too. About 80°F/27°C and sunhine. In spite of the beautiful day, I got up on the wrong side of the bed and every thing that comes along irritates me! You'd think I was PMSing but I haven't had a period in 15 years, so no excuse.

ArtCat, I do my zucchini that way but I never thought about using the parm. cheese. Will try it. And, love the apple recipe - it is just so easy, and I know I will like it. Will do it tonight along with pork loin. My DH loves pork steak, but not marinades, so I will try it on mine. I seem to always be cooking two meals, because DH is a fussy eater. Thank goodness he has other good qualities.:lol:

Wow! I just had an idea. Pork - apples, right? Thread the apples with onion and sprigs of rosemary (or maybe even on sprigs of rosemary). Omit the sugar and cinnamon. Serve the apples as a side dish to the pork.

meowee
11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Sounds yummy . . . :drool:

meowee
11-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey there . . . where are you all hiding out today?

teacher1
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey everyone,
I went last night to a local store and ordered a treadmill. It's coming on next Wednesday. I'm off to meet a friend at the gym. I'm so proud of myself :)

bobbigene
11-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone - hope all is well. Gorgeous weather in Houston today so it was really hard to be inside at work all day. I'm having a pretty decent week so far. Bought some roasted chicken the other night at the grocery store so have been eating that - taking off the skin of course. Had some roasted brussel sprouts for lunch too. Nice and healthy and really yummy!

Gotta feed the cats, both of them are pawing at me and meowwwwwwing.

teacher1
11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Good morning everyone!!!!
I'm off work today. My boyfriend has to get a shot in the back :( He hurt his back a few months ago weight lifting.

ArtCat
11-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm happy to say that my husband suggested getting an exercise machine for ourselves for Christmas! I think that would help a lot, especially with winter coming.

I think DH stands for husband, right? But what does the D stand for? Sorry, I'm a rookie blogger.

ArtCat
11-08-2007, 11:57 AM
for Bobbigene- lately we've been taking the leftover roasted chicken from the grocery store and throwing the whole thing, carcass and all, in a pot with water to make broth for soup. I used to throw it all out, but this works out pretty well, especially because we never ate the whole thing and ended up wasting it.

meowee
11-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi gang . . . :sorry: I was missing yesterday . . . it was just one of those really, really busy days . . . among other things, I picked up a new cat at the SPCA, so I'm back up to six again . . . many, many additions to the menagerie if I count his fleas . . . :mad: but hopefully that can be resolved.

LIZ . . . yep DH is for husband and the D . . . well depends on the day and the mood, I guess . . . it can mean 'Dear' or it can be 'Darn' just to mention a couple of the more common translations.

Here's a little list of some of the more common acronyms you'll bump into around here . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83585

See you later, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

gailr42
11-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Congratulations on the new family member, Linda. We are thinking about bringing "Shop Cat" in the house.

meowee
11-10-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm on the run again . . . but wanted to show you a couple of pictures of the newest addition. He's made peace with the other two males (Jazz and Mouse) but the females are giving him a wide berth. He chases Purrecious (my avatar) and she's gone into hiding. The remaining Bengals (Frick and Frack) are just acting very standoffish and afraid. Hopefully everything will settle down soon.

Afraid I was not very OP yesterday -- lots of gooey, salty Pizza for dinner -- promising myself a better day today. :yes:

Have a good one, gang . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

gailr42
11-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Linda, the kitty pics make me smile. Thanks for sharing them!

I had a sort of "Duh" moment with my eating. I am not loosing, so I cut down some. The trouble is, what I cut down was the four cup salads. Turns out they really don't have very many calories, and I was left feeling unsatisfied and ate more high calorie stuff. I need to leave the crackers alone, I think. Even the high fiber, low calorie crackers are not very volumetric.

ArtCat
11-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Linda- thanks for the acronym link, and your new baby looks very handsome- just a little gray on his head? Is there gray on his tail, too? What's his name?

Gail- if your other cat never did come back, maybe the one alone would like a partner, so the shop cat might work for that.

This is looking more like a cat blog than a Volumetrics one...

I ate out for dinner twice this week and tried to behave, but it's hard. I tend to like wine with dinner when I'm out. We'll see what the scale says on Monday.

meowee
11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Oh GAIL . . . you definitely cut the wrong thing . . . eat those salads, Chickie and step away from the crackers. Did you ever find out anythibng more about Simon?

His name is Blizzard, LIZ and the only grey are those two little bits on his head. Wine is better than some other things you could be drinking . . . as long as it doesn't prompt you to overeat.

teacher1
11-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Linda- Congrats, I love the name Blizzard.
I just moved in with my DB. So it's been a bad few days of eating out. I'm going to the store tomorrow to stock up on healthy foods. We're getting the treadmill delivered on Wed. :)

gailr42
11-10-2007, 10:59 PM
For dinner, I had seared New England wild scallops on a bed of "micro" greens, a boiled red potato and French green beans with a parsley flecked pan sauce over all. Also had a beautiful mixed european lettuce salad. The scallops from Trader Joe's are wonderful. For dessert, 24 calories worth of dark cocolate.

meowee
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Morning . . . :wave:

We are having terrible weather -- cold, windy, rainy -- and SNOW (up to 6 inches) is being forecast -- :yikes: -- hopefully that will not materialize.

Get yourself on that good food path TEACH . . . wow how did you accomplish the move with the BF having a bad back and everything? How is he doing, BTW?

Wow GAIL . . . that menu sounds fantastic . . . I love scallops. You deserve a definite :high: for being able to stop at 24 calories of chocolate. Boy an I ever envious.

Anyway, not too much on my agenda today (in view of the nasty weather). Hopefully I'll get some sewing done. See you later, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking. :carrot:

gailr42
11-11-2007, 11:47 AM
YeeHaw, I lost a pound!!!!:carrot:

Linda, I get that really dark chocolate from Trader Joe's - I'm sure there a lots of other places to get similar items. It isn't really sweet, and a little bit goes a long way. I would be having problems with a Hershey bar or Three Muskateers.

bobbigene
11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
I cooked an 18 lb turkey yesterday. Got it for free from Kroger and since I don't cook on Thanksgiving and the woman who does cook already has a turkey, figured I'd just have lots of turkey in the freezer. The house smelled really good and the cats were reallllllllly interested in the kitchen when I was cutting it up. I had to sprinkle lots of chili pepper in the garbage can to keep them away from it (it's a covered can so they can't get in it, but I didn't want them hanging around). It'll also keep any dogs away when I put the garbage out by the curb on Monday. They don't bother the garbage when they get a snoot-full of chili pepper and it doesn't harm them.

Did you know you could mix chili powder in with your bird seed to keep the squirrels out? The birds can't taste it but the squirrels can. I prefer to just put corn out for the squirrels. Feed 'em what they want and they leave everything else alone.

Lots of challenges in the next 6 weeks or so with the holidays. I'm hoping that with alli and the support of this board I will at least maintain if I don't lose.

Gotta go. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

meowee
11-11-2007, 01:12 PM
:yay: GAIL . . . I get the Cote d'Or 86% cocoa chocolate . . . and a lot is even better than a little to me . . . :o

Have fun with all that turkey, BOBBIGENE . . . :yes: . . . and I'm going to be passing along that tip about mixing chili powder in with the bird seed. :hug:

teacher1
11-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Linda,
My DB is much better after the shot. I had moved most of my stuff slowly in and only had clothes and bathroom stuff left.

All this talk about turkey is making me want Thanksgiving. Yum :)

gailr42
11-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Teacher, glad to hear the shot helped. Is it cortisone?

Wow, bobbijean, all that turkey will give you the basis for lots of healthy meals.

Sounds like most of you have or are getting exercise equipment. I am somewhat resistant to equipment because I am afraid I won't use it. Maybe if I learn to be consistant about my walking, I will consider getting something.

ArtCat
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Gail- you're getting so close to your goal that sometimes just walking seems to not help as much. I saw something on TV- a lady had a walking vest with weights in it because the less you weigh, the less energy you use walking. By adding the weights, she was burning more calories with the same exercise, and by putting the weight on her body, it was easier to carry and less strain than ankle or wrist weights. I think she bought it, but I think you can just make one yourself. Just something to think about- I haven't gotten around to making one for myself, either. You could probably use a hunting, fishing or photography vest and put heavy stuff in the pockets. And congratulations on your weight loss again! You're definitely doing something right.

I also am proud to announce a 1 lb weight loss! I suspected it last week, but waited until this week to check if it was true- you know how sometimes it isn't? But this time it stuck. I'm hoping to get a running start on the holidays, although if you can somewhat apply the Volumetrics principles even when you're not eating at home, it really minimizes the damage.

meowee
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM

We have a little bit of 'white dust' on the lawns this morning. Actually pretty lucky at this end of the Province because Halifax and points west got about 8 inches of the nasty 'white dust'.

Congratulations on that pound LIZ . . . and you are so right that you can apply the principles of Volumetrics to just about any meal. Skip the potatoes and stuffing and gravy and ask for extra on veggies and salads.

Have a great day, gang . . . :grouphug:

teacher1
11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Gail,
My DB got an epidural shot for a bulging disc.

After all this talk about turkey, I got a turkey breast at the store today. I cooked it on the George Foreman grill. I also had a huge salad. It feels good to have so many fruits and veggies in the house. I got a few Honey Crisp apples at the store after all the chat aobut them.
Good night everyone.

meowee
11-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave:

gailr42
11-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Art Cat, I thought about walking with weights, but decided that just lugging my body around is enough for now.

I am so stiff and sore from putting that tile down, I can hardly move. I walked this morning because I thought that might help, but it only seemed to make me worse. Oh well, I know I will survive.

I haven't made any interesting food lately because I have been busy with home improvement. I did make some chicken/brown rice/zuchinni soup this morning with ingredients from the freezer and leftovers. It was good and volumetric, of course.

Speaking of volumetric, I have been re-reading the book, hence the soup.

ArtCat
11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
I raked the back yard yesterday, so that counts for my exercise. I haven't been good about staying consistent with my exercise, so it feels good to not feel guilty about one day at least. In Michigan we get lots of chances to rake leaves!

My DH leaves tomorrow morning for opening day of Deer-Gun season, so I'll have a few days of eating what I want. He can get picky about how many and which vegetables are thrown into the meals.

Linda- how's the Cool Whip battle going? And how's Blizzard settling in?

Teacher- just out of curiosity, which grade(s) do you teach? I always very much admired and appreciated my kids' teachers- it's a hard job.

Does anyone have some really great Volumetric recipes for Thanksgiving that they'd like to share?

Wishing everyone a good day, filled with mostly vegetables!:carrot:

meowee
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Hang in there GAIL -- Soup is so wonderful, especially at this time of year. :hug:

This is my 14th day with NO COOL WHIP, thank you LIZ. :hug: Blizzard is settling in fine and almost everybody is talking to him now -- well except for Purrecious.

Volumetrics specials for Thanksgiving . . . Turkey is good . . . just go easy with the gravy and the stuffing (my weakness). Avoid the heavy greasy sides and opt for plain unadorned veggies as much as possible. Serve some fruit for dessert and go heavy on the fruit tray and light on the pumkin pie. Tomorrow . . . turn that turkey carcass and those left over veggies into -- you guessed it -- SOUP.

Have a great day . . . :carrot:

teacher1
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Liz- I teach special ed K-2.

My treadmill is getting set up right now!!!! I'm so excited :) Right now I have a sweet potato cooking in the oven. I hope it turns out okay. Does anyone here roast veggies in the oven? I've been reading about that in other areas of 3FC. For dinner a big salad and adding a boiled egg for protein.

bobbigene
11-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Howdy everyone! It's been a busy, usy week and I haven't had a chance to check in. On the up side, I think I've stressed off a pound or two!

Cold front coming thru tonight so it'll be off with the AC again for a while. Long range forecast says we could have rain on turkey day. I'm going to my friend's house for the big day on Thursday and then her weekend house for the weekend. It's the boat parade on Saturday so she & her husband are having a party for us us big city people.. Come on down and watch the fun! I'm never one to say no to a party!

gailr42
11-15-2007, 01:51 AM
At check-out at the grocery today, I was behind a lady with a cart full of cool whip, frozen pies and several bottles of Bailey's Irish Creme. I could figure out that she was going to put the cool whip on the pies. I'm not sure where the Bailey's fits in other than just drinking it. Cool whip on top of a glass of Bailey's??? She musta been going to a party, Anyway, I was kind of giggling to myself, because it made me think of Linda.

ArtCat
11-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Teacher- I've been roasting a lot of veggies in the oven lately. You just clean them, cut them up into biggish chunks, put them on a cookie sheet with a little olive oil over them, stir them around and lay them flat. They need to be in a single layer to work best. Roast them at a high heat- 375-425, depending on whatever else you have in there, for 1/2 hour to 45 min, stirring once during the roasting. Then just season to taste.
I usually do mostly veggies and throw in a sweet potato for a little starch. The best ones are root veggies (carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, potatoes) but other good ones are brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower- anything that doesn't get squishy. I've also added apple chunks during the last half, especially with sweet potatoes.

There's a lot of roasted vegetable recipes running around out there- many more creative than what I do.

Yesterday I tried a recipe called Tourlu that I think I got off of an earlier thread. It was incredible! Mostly just baked veggies in a casserole, and when you serve it you put of dollop of plain yogurt on them. It sounded like a strange combination, but it tasted fantastic! If anyone is interested, I can post the recipe.

Other people have mentioned a white chili- would you be willing to share that recipe?

Congrats, Linda, on the Cool Whip success! You hadn't said anything about it lately, so I was afraid you fell of the wagon. :hug:

meowee
11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
:drool: Cool Whip mixed right into Bailey's sounds magnificent. Be still, my restless heart. :lol:

Anyway, Good Morning everybody . . . :grouphug:

I was up extra early this morning and now, somehow, I'm running extra late. :shrug: Many things to do and places to go, so I'd best get moving. Wish the weather would make up it's mind. One minute the sun is shining, the next the rain is falling -- but it is pretty mild and I guess anything that isn't snow or ice is to be welcomed at this time of year around here. :yes:

See you later gang . . . keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

gailr42
11-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey, I make Tourlu - an Armenian Vegetable casserole - has eggplant in it, right? It is good to freeze in serving size, too.

I want to try the roasted veggies. I still haven't tried the apple kebobs.

Here is the white chili recipe that I use:

White Chili - Serves 6 - Ellie Krieger

2T olive oil
1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 4oz cans of chpped mild green chilis, undrained
1/2 cup tomatillo salsa (also called salsa verde), mild, medium,or hot to taste
1 141/2 oz can of low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 16-ounce cans of white beans, like cannelline, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high flame. Add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the onion to the pan and saute over mediumheat until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more. Add the chilis, salsa, chicken broth, cumin and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken and beans and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the lime juice. Serve topped with cilantro, yougurt and cheese.

Calories 317; Fat 8.1g (Sat 1.6 g, Mono 3.8, Poly .7g); Protein 33.2 g; Carb 37.8; Fiber 10.5; Chol 48 mg; Sodium 964 mg

I like this because it is quick and easy to make and tastes good. I usually use frozen cooked chicken because I have it on hand. I use the mild chilis because I don't like it really hot. This is nice to freeze in serving size ready to grab for lunch.

meowee
11-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi there . . . wave:

We are having a very windy, very rainy, but extremely mild (17C/63F already) day. Tomorrow they are predicting sunny and cold (5C/40F). Strange.

That chili sounds great Gail . . . enjoy . . . Love chili, soup, stew meals at this time of year . . . so warm and cozy.

Have a great day everybody . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
11-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Gail- thanks for the white chili recipe- I have one I've made forever, but it's really heavy, with lots of cheese. It's delicious! I'm looking for a healthy substitute for it, and from what I read, this will work!

Maybe I got the Tourlu recipe from you? I had never heard of it before reading about it on an earlier thread. I loved the unexpected combination of flavors

My DH is off hunting again, so I'm free to do as I please and to eat what I please! Dieting is definitely harder when your food also has to please someone else who's not as vegetable tolerant as you. I don't understand how these people could have been raised like that. If it's not corn, carrots or green beans, my DH's not sure about it, even after 25 years of living with me. I guess it's really hard to undo all those years of early influence. At least he's gone from thinking canned is best to eating fresh or frozen.

Well, that's enough complaining. I think we had the same wind Linda did yesterday, with some small snow in the air, but nothing on the ground. That's good, because I need to rake again.

Have a great day, everyone!:wave:

gailr42
11-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Could be. I had never heard of it before I ran across a recipe for it. My DH will eat canned green beans, canned corn, fresh green beans cooked for an hour with bacon and corn on the cob. He also eats lettuce with tomatoes. No dressing. That's it. The rest of his family eats everything. I think eating is a control issue with him. I am pretty much used to eating around his likes and dislikes. Sometimes I make two completely different meals. I don't mind. I knew he was like this when I married him:).

I am in a state of confusion:dizzy:. I am unhappy with myself because I had a little binge on peanut butter last night. Just a few spoons out of the jar:o, but I know that once I start doing that on a regular basis, it is all over for me and weight loss. I am happy because I found a couple of pairs of slacks in my box of too small clothes that fit me now. I really haven't lost any weight since I tried them on last time, but I am smaller because I have been walking and doing stomach exercises. I can actually see a little definition in my leg muscles now (unless I just have a vivid imagination). I am unhappy because I haven't been walking as much as I would like, but happy that I am doing anything at all. I loved all the wonderful food I made yesterday. Volumetric Gourmet, and all. But did all that good stuff make me want peanut butter? I dunno.

I guess I need to plan for some cold weather in Michigan. It is quite warm here, and hard to imagine that I might need a hat or scarf.

ArtCat
11-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Gail- by now your brain probably knows to not beat yourself up about the peanut butter, you just have to get your heart to listen. Just resolve to start over. But if you think the peanut butter will be a serious problem for you in the future, maybe you can hide it or get rid of it for a while, kind of like Linda's Cool Whip. I also often find that even after a day full of very tasty vegetable stuff, I find myself needing something else, especially if the need is emotion-driven. (I have huge emotional eating issues.) At this point I've just allowed myself a reasonable treat that I feel I need, like a piece of chocolate, just so I don't feel deprived, and then go too far. Maybe you could find a dessert recipe that's more volumetric-friendly and make that, freezing the extras so you have something peanut buttery to turn to later. What about Thai sauces for your food? They're peanut butter based, and if you use them sparingly, I'm sure they're completely legal. And tasty!
Maybe Linda has better stuff to say to you, but my heart goes out to you. Just remember the good things you've just discovered, like taking clothes out of the skinny pile and being able to wear them! Every time you put them on, consider it a "good job" hug.:hug:

And yes, you'll need warm stuff for Michigan! You warm blooded people always need more than we think you do, so make sure you bring a hat, gloves, warm coat, no sandals, and even a scarf in case you need to be outside in the wind at all. And no whining! We're actually thinking it's been a mild year so far- we haven't even had snow yet!

My son's in Montreal this weekend, looking at grad schools, so he's creeping closer to Linda!

Wishing everyone a great weekend!

gailr42
11-17-2007, 11:02 AM
We are used to pulling on a jacket or sweater as we run out the door. Not so in MI. You get entirely dressed, including a hat before stepping outside. Otherwise, you will freeze up solid and become a statue right on the front porch. One time I was there, the temp hovered around 7F and there was frozen, slippery snow on the ground. Incomprehensible!;) I love all the huge trees (Silver Maples?)and green stuff in the summer.

By last night, I hadn't had enough calories, so I had a small bowl of chili before I went to bed, so I wasn't hungry. When a barking dog woke me, and I couldn't go back to sleep, I ate a Wassa crisp with a tsp of jelly on one end, a bite (less than an oz) of cold steak and two squares of chocolate. That was much better than the peanut butter of the previous night.

Our own dogs bark and screech and carry on all night long sometimes, depending on what wildlife is lurking in the darkness (coyotes, bobcats, jackrabbits). I have learned to sleep through their noise. But some other dog was barking off in the distance and it bothered me. Go figure.

I have tried eating more during the day, so I won't want to eat at night, but that doesn't seem to work. I don't have a problem with peanut butter in things - I just need a straight peanut butter fix every so often. Like an alcoholic drinking out of the bottle? Actually, I think that I have probably had less than half a cup (most of it night before last) of peanut butter this whole time (ten months, now) I have been trying to change my eating habits.

meowee
11-17-2007, 06:52 PM

We had a lovely sunny day today -- but cold and windy, of course. Great day of Christmas Shopping for me. I'm finally getting the list beaten down a little. Spent way to much money of course and ate way too much for lunch too. Both of those things are big problems for me at this time of year.

Afraid I don't have any great advice to offer for staying OP at this time of year . . . especially not after I ate two -- not just one; but two -- blueberry scones at lunch today. You know, they were not anywhere as delicious as I remember them from over a year ago (when I last had one) . . . so why, why, did I eat TWO of them . . . :mad: On a good note -- still not Cool Whip :D

Hey gang . . . we all just have to do the best we can as much as we can. Remember, we are all in this together. So let's pick ourselves up and get back to putting those feet in front of each other one at a time as we keep heading down the long winding road to better health and fitness. We will make it, eventually. :yes:

teacher1
11-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I agree Linda! I'm getting on my new treadmill for a long fast walk this morning.

gailr42
11-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Last night, I made a sandwich and cut up a bunch of veggies to eat at the airport while I wait 11 hours for my flight.:dizzy: I am taking my pedometer and plan to spend a good part of the afternoon walking around LAX. I always wondered how far it is from one terminal to the next. If I can make myself do that, I will be a bit physically tired and maybe will sleep on the red-eye. I just now printed out my boarding pass - pretty cool:cool:.

bobbigene
11-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Greetings from soggy Houston. My rain guage says that I got 4 inches of rain overnight. There is standing water in my back yard so I guess I won't be working on replacing fence pickets this week - I'd be ankle deep in mud. Won't be trimming any of the trash tree branches that hang over from the neighbor's yard either. The ladder would sink in the mud!

Scale hasn't moved - not up, not down. And I'm betting it won't be going down this week. I don't have a problem with the turkey, it's the dressing, scalloped potatoes and egg nog for me! I'll do the best that I can. At least I don't have much of a problem with the desserts. I'm not big on pumpkin pie and can't stand pecan pie so they are easy for me to turn down. Just pass the dressing!

meowee
11-19-2007, 11:13 AM

We have a cold and overcast day with a few flurries in the forecast . . . but nothing like all that rain in Houston . . . good luck with Turkey day plans all you 'south of the border' types . . . stuffing is my downfall, too . . . I don't really like turkey (so gravy isn't a problem either) and I much prefer my vegetables unadulterated with heavy sauces and fancy trimming; I don't even like mashed potatoes; prefer them just boiled or roasted with a little salt and pepper. However, I do :love: the middle of pumpkin pie, although I can pass on crust.

Nothing too much on my agenda for today . . . have to do the laundry I sloughed off in favour of more shopping yesterday . . . but . . . my Christmas Shopping is done . . . http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/music015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) . . . except for a couple of little bits that do not involve braving the crowded malls at this time of year. Feels great. :yes:

Have a great OP day gang . . . keep things moving and shaking just as much as you can -- :carrot:

teacher1
11-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey everyone,
I had a good day at school. My main problem will be tomorrow with a fun feast. It's going to be a challenging week with food. I do have lots of fruits and veggies stocked up at home.

gailr42
11-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I finally got to Ann Arbor with lots of deviations from the original plan. Took me over 24 hours to get here and I am just about to crash. I did put the pedometer on and walk. I was all excited to see how far I had walked, but when I looked at the thing, it was blank. The battery is dead. I had a chicken cesar salad at Wolfgang Puck,and a six piece MCNugget this morning. I was tired and hungry and vulnerable :lol:. I ate all of my good snacks. If I had known it was gong to take me that long to get here, I would have made more food.

I am not sure what we are going to do for Thanksgiving. DIL will be in hospital. I am thinking maybe do a small celebratory dinner over the weekend.

meowee
11-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Glad you actually got there GAIL . . . sounds like it was not a really fun trip, though.

I was up way too early this morning -- terrible night last night; just could not sleep -- guess I was thinking about my fun trip to the Periodontist this morning and hoping the roads are in good condition over the top of Mount Thom. We don't have a local Perio, so every six months I have to drive about an hour to get to one in Truro which is the other side of the mountain. Getting there can be tricky at this time of year. Weather is dull and well below the freezing mark again this morning. The highway can be perfectly fine on both sides and a sheet of ice on top. :( Taking LouLou with me -- she shops while I suffer -- then we both eat too much and come back home. OMG, my life is so fascinating. :p

Have a great day . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
11-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Gail- Welcome to Michigan! My kids are heading from A2 to home, so they're going as you're coming. Have you ever eaten at Seva's? It's an incredible vegetarian restaurant there- well worth the money. We also love Totoro's, a Japanese restaurant. Sorry, but I had to laugh about your pedometer- you said it in such a funny way!

Linda made me laugh, too. Wait, I'll say it right- LOL. And congrats on finishing your Christmas shopping! I don't even have a list written up yet!

for Teacher- it's kind of sad that they have to call it a fun feast instead of a Thanksgiving feast. I think you can be thankful without insinuating God- everything's so politically correct now-a-days.

I seem to have lost more weight somewhere along the line, although I don't entirely trust my scale. I've been really good about loading veggies into everything I eat, so I guess it's paying off. My DH has lost weight, too, so the plan is working! Now I just need to get more consistent with my exercising.

teacher1
11-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone,
It was a fun day at school. The kids were way wild and I ate too much. My official fall break has started :)
Linda- Hopefully, everything went well with your appointment. I have to take my sister tomorrow. She's a big wimp.
Gail- Have a great trip :)
Liz- We can call it a Thanksgiving feast. The kids had their feast in the afternoon. Us teachers had a pot luck at lunch. So many yummy foods.
Well, it's off for a light dinner.

gailr42
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. I'll see if anybody is interested....It rained today, but it's not really cold.

They haven't named the baby yet. She is 9lbs 1 oz. and 21 inches long.

ArtCat
11-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Gail- I must have missed something- I didn't realize there was a new baby involved- Congratulations!

I'm very happy having my kids home, but the food choices always get worse then. Luckily there's not too much junk in the house anymore.

We're all heading to Ann Arbor on Saturday to celebrate St. Nicholas with my brother's family (it's a Dutch tradition). That usually involves fairly healthy food, though.

meowee
11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
:wave:

teacher1
11-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Good morning everyone,
I'm off to run errands, take my sister to the dentist, and prepare for the big turkey day tomorrow. Have a great day!

ArtCat
11-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Everything's pretty quiet here right now- my kids are still sleeping, and my DH had to go in to work today, yes, on Thanksgiving. We're cheating and meeting the grandparents at a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner, although we'll head back here for dessert.

Wishing everyone a heartfelt Thanksgiving!:hug: It's easy to think of what we're not happy about, but more important to remember what we're thankful for.:thanks1:

gailr42
11-22-2007, 09:35 AM
The ground is covered with snow! Happy thanksgiving everyone!

meowee
11-22-2007, 10:15 AM
:turkey: to all my US buddies . . .

If you can't feel bushy-tailed . . . hope you are at least feeling really bright-eyed all day . . . extra :coffee: should help.

teacher1
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Have a great day :)

bobbigene
11-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!:turkey:Hope everyone's turkey turns out tasty and you don't have lumpy gravy!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - no presents to buy and stress over the is it perfect question. No expectations that you'll get the perfect present. Just enjoy the people around you and eat some great food. And if you are a football fan (not me!) there are plenty of games on TV to watch.
So I hope everyone has a great day, :thanks2: be as good as you can food wise, but if you fall off the wagon, start up again tomorrow!

ckatgo
11-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Hello Everyone!

I am not new to the boards but I am new to this princple. I was going to start looking for yet another diet plan, asked around about "the biggest loser diet" but the more I researched it, the more it looked "gimicky" to me. And for those it works for, its a good plan. I plan on taking the excercise advice from there, some anyway. But the idea of another "diet" makes me physically ill. I need something that can be adopted forever. My health has gone so far down the hole at this point, I have heart problems, my husband has heart problems, beginning stages of diabetes according to my doctor a couple of months ago. I lost a co-worker of mine 3 years ago to complications due to diabetes and it was awful to see this strong, compassionate women get taken down like that. I still didn't learn even then. My doctor told me my cholesterol was high, wanting to put me on pills last summer. I still didn't listen. The other day my husband came home with blood pressure medication. I have been too scared to go back to the doctor to have my numbers rechecked, I know what the "verdict" will be. Something has to change, and now....

However, I took a peek into your wonderful thread and a light when on. An epiphany of sorts as I was reading everyone's posts. THIS is doable. I can permanently change to meet this princple.(I love the way that is phrased) I have ordered the books, but have been able to discern enough off of websites and such over the past few days to have a handle on the "gist" of it until the books come in. It was too late to change my Thanksgiving menu, so today is a bit of a bust, however I have been able to lighten up some recipes by cutting out some of the crap and replacing it with what veggies I have in the house. So, thats better anyway.

I look forward to talking with everyone and hope you will let me join your wonderful group here and look forward to this wonderful new way to be.

Katheirne

PS~ please excuse any spelling errors...I am a terrible speller! :dizzy:

meowee
11-22-2007, 06:35 PM
:welcome: to the Principles of Volumetrics, KATHEIRNE . . . :hug: . . . BTW, that is definitely an unusual spelling of your name.

Hope you will love this lifestyle as much as the rest of us . . . it is definitely something we can see ourselves doing for the long haul.

Hope the day has been treating you fairly well . . . you've definitely taken a good step in the right direction by adding as many veggies as possible to your Thanksgiving dinner . . . and just think of the marvellous soup you can make with that carcass. :yes:

See you soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
11-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Hey ckg! Welcome. You are right, this is do-able. Not that I did it very much today. We had guests and I ate...My copy of the Volumetrics book is all beat up from reading it for inspiration and recipes. If I ever make it to goal, I think I will have the book bronzed. :lol:

meowee
11-23-2007, 07:16 AM
Happy LEFTOVERS DAY . . . to the Yanks . . . who will probably all be out doing that "shop 'til you drop" thing today. Likely to be pretty quiet around 3FC. :lol:

Nothing exciting for this Canuk today . . . weather is not too promising, so maybe I'll start the wrapping process. Must stay out of the kitchen as much as possible . . . I get an almost overpowering urge to bake, bake, bake at this time of year -- that would be okay, except for the other almost overpowering urge to eat, eat, eat, that always seems to goes along with it. :o

Anyway . . . Try to keep things moving and shaking, today, gang. :carrot:

ckatgo
11-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Good morning everyone!

OPPS...I accidently misspelled my own name. I really need to get into the habit of proofreading...:D

meowee - you are brave getting out on Black Friday. Things are usually such a mess! I may just go up to the bookstore and that is it.

I didn't even think to save the bones from either the ham or the turkey for soup...that would have been wonderful!

Have a great day everyone! :smug:

meowee
11-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi KATHERINE . . . nothing special about either yesterday or today up here in the frozen northland called Canada . . . our Thanksgiving was fairly early in October.

ckatgo
11-23-2007, 01:21 PM
OHHH, I didn't see your location on the side of your avatar.....hehehehe..it was early when I posted that... :)

teacher1
11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Kat welcome!

Hi everyone,
Today I went with my family to cut down a Christmas tree. I'm now back home trying to talk my DB into decorating the outside of the house with lights. Yesterday was not pretty on the food front. But today while out, I had a salad and soup.

ckatgo
11-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Yesterday for me was awful on the "food front" as well, I am still getting rid of thanksgiving leftovers and it looks like today may be more of the same. frankly at this point, I am SICK of thanksgiving food. If anything I need a new flavor! I am throwing out the rest of my pies in there.

Well, everyone have a good day!

meowee
11-24-2007, 09:41 AM

teacher1
11-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone,

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I really enjoyed the nice long weekend but ate too much. Today I'll go back to the store and plan some healthy meals.

ckatgo
11-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Hello All!!

Well, its offical, I am seriously sick of Thankgiving type food. If I see another bit of dressing, turkey, ham I will barf. No kidding. I am ready to get back to some plain ole regular food. I love Thanksgiving it is one of my favorite holidays, but its nice when its over.

My books still have not come in yet. So, what does a typical days eating look like for everyone? I am thinking oatmeal, I bought some soups this morning. I normally eat dinner with DH, so I am thinking I will half what he makes and fill my other half a plate with veggies. (I am trying to get him to do the same, but at this point he is so sick of me going from diet to diet that he is no longer willing to follow me again down that path. He will when he sees I am serious I suspect....) Sound like a plan?

meowee
11-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Definitely heading in the right direction CKATGO . . . 1/4 plate for meat; 1/4 plate for starch; 1/2 plate for veggies (low carb kind) . . . is a great direction -- just stay away from butter and heavy sauces on anything. Even better . . . go for stews and soups whenever possible (especially in the cold weather). Light on the oil, potatoes or pasta, and heavy, heavy on the broth and on the veggies. Bet you can even sneak some of those past the DH. :yes: I find oatmeal very filling -- make it with water and use lots of berries or other lighter fruit -- stay away from raisins and other dried fruit if possible.

meowee
11-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh goodness . . . I never even said Good Morning to you guys today . . . bad me. A little late now but . . . hope everybody is having a great afternoon. :yes:

ArtCat
11-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Wow, that was a busy weekend! I'm hoping the scale stayed the same- I'll check tomorrow morning. In the meantime, we're back on plan today, and it's actually a relief to be back. There's so much guilt tied to those desserts and other high ED foods, it's just nice to feel good about what you're putting in your mouth.

Hi Katherine- and welcome! I eat oatmeal a lot in the morning, too, but I do it different. I use the old-fashioned kind (not instant), put it raw in my bowl with whatever fruit I have and pour milk over it. It's kind of like granola, but easier and lower calorie. I know, it's strange, but I really like it and it really fills you up.

We also got back to the business of raking leaves here, so at least I got my exercise in today.

gailr42
11-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I have eaten lots of healthy stuff and lots of fattening stuff. I am sure I will gain some weight. All I can say is it really pays to have your house purged of naughty stuff. They have some really good cheese and a tin of very fancy cookies that I have been into.

I did buy some Irish oats at Trader Joe's. Think I already mentioned that. I really like oatmeal for breakfast. I eat an apple, banana or what ever fruit with it.

I am still in Ann Arbor and it is snowing this evening. We went to the mall for a few minutes and it was like a blizzard when we came out. My son says it's not cold. Feels plenty cold to me..

ArtCat
11-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Well, the cold is all relative. My son went to school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so to us, this is not cold, either. I'm sure Linda understands!

How's the baby doing? And the mom?

It's taking a day or two to get all the bad stuff out of the house. Luckily I was able to send my Halloween candy home with my kids, but still have some stuff leftover from their visit. I should just throw it out, but it's hard to do that. Does anyone else have that problem, too? I was raised to feel guilty about wasting food (my mom went through WW2), so if I can't give it away, I feel like we have to eat it. Even if it's something I know is bad for me. I have a skinny friend who has no problem throwing food out- I guess I need to be more like that.

Well, I'm off to sort through my fridge...

meowee
11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Oh this time of year is sooooo hard . . . the "baking bug" is nipping at my heels. I've been going through my forty plus Holiday Baking Cookbooks to see if there are some things I could make a little lighter -- i.e., cut down on the fat and/or sugar -- and a few seem promising. They wouldn't exactly come out being "good" (volumetrically) , but definitely "better" for you. :lol: Actually found a recipe for "sugarless sugar cookies". Still full of fat, mind you. But every step in the right direction helps. :o I'll keep you posted on my on-going battle . . . hey maybe I'll win and bake nothing :D . . . but I doubt it. ;)

Anyway, have a great day everybody . . . try to keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

ckatgo
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, the cold is all relative. My son went to school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so to us, this is not cold, either. I'm sure Linda understands!

How's the baby doing? And the mom?

It's taking a day or two to get all the bad stuff out of the house. Luckily I was able to send my Halloween candy home with my kids, but still have some stuff leftover from their visit. I should just throw it out, but it's hard to do that. Does anyone else have that problem, too? I was raised to feel guilty about wasting food (my mom went through WW2), so if I can't give it away, I feel like we have to eat it. Even if it's something I know is bad for me. I have a skinny friend who has no problem throwing food out- I guess I need to be more like that.

Well, I'm off to sort through my fridge...

All the time. I grew up very poor and wasting anything food related was unheard of as well as refusing food that was offered. We always cleaned our plate because we honestly didn't know if anything was coming next. This isn't a whoa is me, but the habits still remain. I have a very hard time throwing out food, wasting food. Stopping when I am full. And that is a big part of the problem. Things are very different for me now, but I still act the same way. I have starting getting use to throwing things out. I threw out two whole pies. I was proud of myself, really for doing that.

I stepped on the scale today (this morning) and I didn't gain an ounce...not a pound. I am still shocked I ate enough to feed a small country. :dizzy:

teacher1
11-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone :)
Kat- Congrats on not gaining any weight.

Linda- I feel your pain about wanting to bake. I love making homemade goodies for everyone at school. I probably will make some things and give most of it away.

bobbigene
11-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Good morning everyone. Hope all is well with everyone. Today is put up the tree day. Wish me luck. It usually seems to take me two days to do it because I putz around. I'm going to try to do it all in one day this year. We'll see!

I haven't even stepped on the scale since last week. Too afraid to do it. Maybe tomorrow.

meowee
11-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Wow . . . I got rewarded for my stupidity this morning. Got up and thought it was the 28th and therefore my weigh-in morning for November. Hauled the scale:devil: out of his corner and he told me 222.2 for a 2.8 pound loss for the four weeks (well the 4 weeks less one day). :yay: Think I'll weigh again tomorrow and take the lower of the two numbers as my weight of record at the end of November and then I'll change my ticker.

Now, of course, I feel like I deserve a treat (bad, bad attitude, Linda) so this is probably going to be the day that the baking-bug wins his battle. :( Especially sioce we are having a rainy and windy day -- although it is definitely mild at 14C/57F. Actually at this time of year, I'd much rather have colder and :sunny:, thank you.

See you later, everybody . . . keep on fighting the good fight . . . :carrot:

teacher1
11-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Today was a bad day :( I've walked for 2 days on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Sadly, today my foot started hurting really bad. I'm not sure what happened, maybe a pulled muscle. Also, didn't feel like cooking and ordered a pizza. I know that's very bad. I'm going to bed early and hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better.

ArtCat
11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Teacher- I hope today is a better day for you!

and Linda- today is the 28th- was your scale lying to you yesterday? If not, then Congratulations! Also, how's the baking battle going? I looked through the Volumetrics cookbook, but they didn't have much. I think all their desserts were fruit-based, and when you're craving sweet-carb based stuff, it's just not the same. I'm sure you have some not-too-bad recipes you can bake (at least something with oatmeal?), and after that it's all up to your self-control. You can also do like my great-aunt and just give most of it away- my husband loves that plan!

ckatgo- I'm proud of you for throwing 2 pies away! I'm not sure I could do that yet- I'm hoping some day I'll get there. I guess the key is to not have the pies there in the first place. What kind were they?

Hope everyone has a great day- be strong and stick to the plan!

teacher1
11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone,
Well today was a much better day :) I went to the dr about my foot and she just said ice and rest it. Hopefully, it will get better quickly.

teacher1
11-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Where is everyone :( Today my foot was a little better. I wrapped it all day and wore a slipper. My kids thought that was very funny! Have a great night.

meowee
11-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry I've been missing . . . I'm on the second day of feeling :barf: . . . Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

marigolds
11-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Think I'll jump on the Volumetrics bandwagon. I bought the books.

meowee
11-30-2007, 09:47 AM
:welcome: MARIGOLDS . . . Very glad to have you with us.

Well, here it is the last day of November and I'm still feeling a little 'iffy'. Hope tomorrow I get to start the month feeling normal -- or as close to normal as I ever get. :lol:

See you later . . . :wave:

gailr42
11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey, Marigolds, welcome. I really like the Volumetrics books. You can apply the principles to any diet and it makes you feel good about your food. I just hope I can get back OP when I get home.

teacher1
11-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Marigolds- Welcome :)
Linda- I hope you feel better

Have a great weekend everyone.

ArtCat
12-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Welcome Marigolds! We're usually a little more chatty than this- I don't know about anyone else, but it's been a hectic week. Lots of stuff due at the end of the month...

I think I'm finally back on track after Thanksgiving, although I'm still not exercising like I should be. It's funny how it takes so long to get back on track, yet just one meal to get off? I think it's the mind-set. Hopefully the longer I do this, the quicker my brain will readjust and get back on plan.

So how's your foot, teacher?
And how's Linda feeling?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

meowee
12-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Feeling quite a bit better (stomach-wise; but now I'm sneezing a lot) today. Thought a little shopping trip was in order when I first woke up . . . but then I looked outside; and then I listened to the blizzard warnings. :mad: Hopefully things will be a little better by tomorrow afternoon. :yes:

Have a great moving and shaking day, everybody . . . :carrot:

teacher1
12-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Brrrr Linda- Stay warm

Liz- My foot is still sore. I can walk on it without lots of pain but I'm still taking it easy. Hopefully, it will be better by Monday. It's hard to take it easy at school with a bunch of little kiddos.

Have a great weekend everyone :)

bobbigene
12-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello everyone! Weighed in this morning and it was really BAD. I drowned my sorrows in breakfast - 3 bananas cut up and mixed in with my malt-o-meal. Not very Volumetrics friendly. Oh let me get back on the wagon!

Have most of my Christmas shopping done, not that I buy for that many people anyway. It's still a royal pain because I'm horrible at buying gifts and seem to be missing the shopping gene. I still have some time left so I'll come up with something! Just hope that the store isn't any where near a Cinnabon store!

meowee
12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
All you can do is your best . . . so, pick yourself up; dust yourself off; and get moving in the right direction again . . . you can do it . . . yes you can . . . :yes:

marigolds
12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome!

I have a question - are any of you not following a diet, just using the volumetrics principles? I've read a lot of the archived posts, and I think I would like to do something similar to the Weight Watchers Core plan, not count anything but just focus on lower-caloric density foods.

For example, in the newer book Barbara Rolls basically says this:

ED less than 1: Eat away.

ED 1 -2: start using portion control.

ED over 2: Limit your portions

Is anyone just doing this? I just can't diet anymore, counting calories and what-not. Is anyone just watching the caloric density of their foods? Thanks for any input on this. I almost joined Weight Watchers for their Core plan, then found out the plan and maintenance makes you count weekly points for non-Core foods. I don't even think I can count THAT! Just want some basic principles which Volumetrics seems to give us.

meowee
12-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I count everything . . . but that's mostly because I'm a diabetic. Basically I follow the CDA Exchange system for diabetes control and throw the Volumetrics principles on top of that.

bobbigene
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm going to the grocery store today, the paper just came so I can check out the coupons. I'm planning on stocking up on Volumetrics friendly foods so that I can get back on track.

teacher1
12-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi everyone,
Well tonight for dinner the DB and I had chicken salad. I did today make a batch of holiday sugar cookies. The good thing is I left most of them at my parents house and I'm taking a box to school tomorrow. At the store, I finally gave in and bought a box of Clementines that I have been wanting for a few weeks. I know Clementines are healthy but those little things are so expensive.

ArtCat
12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I know, those Clementine's are good! Did you figure out what exactly you did to your foot? Twisted it or something?

Marigolds- I mostly follow the plan of aiming for low ED foods, or if I'm making something that's not, I try to add a bunch of vegetables to it to lower the ED. If you need to snack, try to include something with a low ED, or something useful like light yogurt. I think this works in the beginning, but towards the end, when you have less weight to lose you might need to keep better track. I, also, was really sick of counting and journaling, and since I've been on this plan, things have gone much easier. I've been on it for a couple of months, and have lost about 5 lbs. It goes slowly, but they say that slow is the best way to be sure it stays off. I think you really need to try to add some sort of exercise in every day, too, even if it's going up and down the stairs a few times.

Linda- I'm glad to see you're back up and running, albeit maybe slowly? Sounds like you can do like me and shovel snow for exercise!

gailr42
12-03-2007, 03:14 PM
My experience is almost identical to ArtCat's. The first 30 pounds was pretty painless. The last five has been more difficult. I can see that counting is in my future as well as exercise. I have been on this journey since Jan 19, almost a year and lost about 35lbs. I think the most important thing is to find foods/meals that you really enjoy and that follow Volumetric principles. This takes a little experimentation and thought, but it is rewarding. I would say that you can certainly give the counting a rest for a while. I felt the same way you do. I just could not face writing, or counting anything. Since I have had some success now, I am more interested in counting.

meowee
12-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi . . . :wave:

Been out running errands mostof the day -- taking advantage of the little lull between blizzards -- got home exhausted and discovered one of the cats threw up on my keyboard. It's now cleaned up (thanks to the glass of water I threw all over it) and seems to be working, but it smells. :mad:

Have a great evening, gang . . . see you later.

teacher1
12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Liz- I think the sore foot came from my second day of walking fast on the treadmill. I'm still wrapping it and taking it easy. I'm now a little afraid of my treadmill. My foot is slowly getting better.

Linda- Yikes, I hope your cat feels better.

Marigolds- I just try to add way more fruits and veggies into my meals.

Gail- Did you exercise as part of your weight loss?

gailr42
12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Linda, I am :lol: at your cat yaking on your keyboard, and at teacher's well wishing.:lol:

Boy, do I know what you mean about "between blizzards". I don't think I would want to live here permanently. I can't stand the cold. Plus driving in it makes me nervous.

I have just recently started walking. Since I have been in Michigan, I haven't done anything except carry the two-year-old around a bit and run up and down the stairs. That actually feels like quite a bit of exercise. When I get home I am going to have to get busy.

I weighed myself this morning on my DIL's scale. It said I weighed 152, but I was fully and fairly heavily dressed. That is six pounds more that I last weighed at home, but I am sure I had at least three lbs of clothes and shoes on, so maybe the news won't be too bad when I get home.

I don't think I am going to reach my goal unless I get some real exercise on a regular basis. I have a couple of walking routes worked out which vary from 1/3 mile to 2 1/2 miles, so I can do more or less as circumstances permit.

meowee
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi everybody . . .

The blanket of white stuff just keeps getting deeper and deeper . . . :mad: . . . hopefully I'll get my wrapping finished and be ready to whip off to the post office whatever day it finally stops . . . well, if my snowplow guy doesn't forget where I live. :lol:

Thanks for the kind thoughts, TEACHER. :lol: Believe me the cat is fine. He's really, really hairy and throwing up furr balls is his hobby. Sounds and looks a lot worse (from the cat's point of view) than it really is.

Too bad cats never seem to figure out that throwing up in the kitty litter would be acceptable. Everything that comes out the back is neatly deposited and covered (well usually); but anything that comes out the front just goes 'wherever'. :dizzy:

Hey GAIL. don't forget that no two scales every weigh the same either -- even just stepping from one to the other right beside each other, you get different numbers. Hopefully, you'll get a pleasant surprise when you get home.

Well, better get moving and shaking and get something done . . . :carrot:

teacher1
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone,
Good news my foot is sooo much better :) I'm not ready for the treadmill but I'm not rocking the slipper at school. The DB finished off the cookies so now I'm not tempted anymore.

ArtCat
12-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Linda- I know what you mean about the cats putting the hairballs in the litter pan! That would be the best trick in the world! I'm babysitting a friend's cat right now, and I don't think she knew that any other cats existed in the world. So far I've had to keep her in a separate bedroom, and she's scared stiff of the noises from my cats outside her door. I feel bad for her, but I don't want to introduce them before she's ready. If she ever will be. Any hints, anyone?

I'm also wondering if anyone else is as bad as I am about using up all the produce you buy in time? I usually have something going bad at one time or another. I've solved this problem by having a covered bucket downstairs where I vermicompost with worms. So far it's working really well, and it doesn't smell at all. When you open the bucket you can hear the worms munching away, and it smells like fresh air, even though it looks like moldy vegetables. If anyone wants more info, I'll be glad to share it.

meowee
12-05-2007, 03:50 PM

Not having a great day today. My diabetic cat, Jazz, had a massive seizure/stroke this morning and has gone to that wonderful kitty play park in the sky where nothing can ever hurt him again. He was almost 14 and had had a happy life (I think). :cry:

This is not the hairball spitter, by the way.

teacher1
12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Linda- I'm sorry about your cat :(

Liz- I sometimes have the same problem using up all my produce. I try to plan meals ahead of time but then life happens and it's sometimes just easier to order a pizza. I know,very bad of me. I'm hoping it's easier to stick with my plan after December.

ArtCat
12-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Linda- I'm so sorry about your cat! It seems like you've had a lot of cat sadness lately. I guess at least Jazz went quickly, and you didn't have to have him put down.

I'm looking for some more interesting soup recipes lately- it seems like I keep on making the same old chicken soup ones.

gailr42
12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Linda, I am so sorry about Jazz. I am sure he had a good life with you.

I am home now after 21 hours of flying and hanging out at LAX. My flights out of Detroit and Chicago were delayed because of bad weather. I just missed my flight out of LAX to home and had and eight hour wait for the next one. Then flights were delayed out of LAX because of fog! I was really, really, glad to be home last night. DH had the house and yard all cleaned up and dinner ready for me when I got home.

I am really stunned! I weighed myself this morning and I weighed 144, two lbs less than when I left for Michigan. I simply cannot imagine how that happened. I weighed myself several times on the same scale and it was the same every time.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/basic-soup-57 This is a link to the diet soup that I like. I use all chicken broth to make it instead of bouillon cubes. Anyway, I like the soup plain or you can add to it for a heartier soup. I like this much better than the light and fresh vegetable soup in the volumetrics book. Be sure to add enough salt for your taste. I tend to under-salt and then have something that is too bland.

meowee
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Boy . . . if it doesn't rain, it pours . . . as they say . . . have to take Frack to the vet today. She has done something to her right eye -- it's running, swollen, and only half open since last night. I swear it was easier raising my kids. :(

Was looking through some pictures a little while ago and here are the last ones I have of Jazz (and, coincidentally, that's Frack with him). they were taken in early July and Frack was still just a kitten -- she has grown some since then.

Have a good day, gang . . . see you later . . . :grouphug:

gailr42
12-06-2007, 12:30 PM
I just love black cats. We have Roger and Blackie, AKA Shop Cat, who are black. I think Jazz lived a long life, considering his health problems.

ArtCat
12-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Gail- congrats on the weight loss! You must have developed some really good habits to be gone that long and still control your eating! And welcome back, too, and thanks for the soup recipe. It's different than what I've been making, so I'll give it a go. It sounds good.

I agree about the black cats- one of my most favorite cats was a beautiful black long-haired, and she lived to be 20. I love how mysterious they look. This new one I'm babysitting is black, too. I decided to let them all meet for about an hour this morning. Lots of hissing and stalking, but nothing really serious.

meowee
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow . . . this has not been a good week in the zoo . . . just found out that the two purebred Bengals have Feline Herpes Virus 1 -- yes it is related to Herpes Simplex 1 that affects humans. Luckily, the two types of the virus are NOT transferrable between species.

Only Frack (who is staying at the Vet's this weekend) is showing any symptoms of an outbreak (the nasty infection is now in both eyes) but my Vet figures they were probably both born with it and it has just taken 9 months to manifest. She (the Vet) thinks the three adult cats probably have good old 'hybrid vigour' on their side and should be okay . . . guess only time will tell.

Sorry to vent on you guys . . . see you later. :grouphug:

teacher1
12-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Linda- I hope things calm down for you.

Everyone have a great weekend :)

gailr42
12-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I had an acquaintance that bred Maine Coon cats. Some of her cats got that. I guess it is pretty persistent.

We actually had just a few flakes of snow here yesterday. I guess it must have followed me from Michigan. It is no where near as cold as MI, thank goodness.

here is a simple recipe for oyster stew - if you hate oysters, do not read :lol:.

Oyster Stew two servings

1 8 oz can whole oysters in water - 150 cal, 2.5g fat, 35mg cholest., 310mg NA, total carb 2g, fiber 2g, protein 7g

1.5 C 1% milk

1/2 tsp or to taste, worchestershire sauce

1/2 tsp minced onion

1 T minced parsley

Several grinds of pepper

Pour liquid from oysters into pan with milk. Reserve oysters. Heat until good and hot. Add oysters and let the heat of the milk warm the oysters. If not warm enough, add just a little heat. Too much heat turns the oysters to mush. Put in bowls, add parsley, pepper, onion and Wor. sauce to bowls. For me, there is plenty of salt in the oysters and worc. sauce without adding any, but if you are a salt lover you might want more.

Oysters have fat and cholesterol in them, so not the perfect food, but sooooo good. The original recipe calls for the addition of butter and cream which is yummy, I am sure, but this is better for me. It is tasty and comforting. I would serve with a small green salad and some crisp bread for lunch.

meowee
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Everybody . . .

We've been having another day of sideways snow. :mad: So far Frick is still not showing any signs of a breakout (nor are the hybrids). Of course, I don't see much of her to really be able to tell -- she is staying as far away from me as she possibly can and consequently is not getting much of her Lysine Supplement into her either. :shrug:

That recipe sounds good . . . as protein sources go, I don't think you can go too far wrong with any kind of seafood (150 calories for an entire can is not exactly what I'd call a high ED kind of food). . . just -- as you mentioned --watch out for the heavy sauces.

Have a great evening . . . :wave:

ArtCat
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Linda- why is Frick avoiding you?

Somehow, I lost another couple of pounds, so I'm creeping closer to the exciting prospect of being below 200! I haven't been there in a long time...

gailr42
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
ArtCat, that's great that you are approaching "Onederland". If I loose four more pounds by 19 jan, I will have lost 40 lbs in one year. Not very fast, but I am hoping I have learned enough in a year to make it stick this time.

I bought some raspberries and blackberries. They were just a bit too sour to enjoy "straight", so I mixed about 1.5 tsp light sour cream with about 1 tsp honey and poured that over the berries. I sprinkled a little fresh mint on top. The result was quite tasty. I think the honey and sour cream work together to cut the sourness of the berries.

meowee
12-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Congratulations on almost reaching onederland, ARTCAT . . . you are doing well.

Congratulations to you too, Gail . . . almost 40 pounds is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

Sorry, guess I didn't explain very clearly before . . . the Vet prescribed L-Lysine Supplements for Frick because she probably also has Herpes like her litter-mate, Frack. This stuff is in paste form and you are to squirt it right into the cat's mouth and the package quote says "most cats just love the taste". Obviously, Frick is not "most" cats". She absolutely hates it and will not come within two feet of me right now. At least the only thing she is exhibiting is absolute hatred of her "human"; absolutely no signs of any conjunctival infection or anything else that could signal a herpes outbreak. So far so good . . . :crossed:

The three "vigourous hybrids" (that the Vet figures probably don't need it), like the Lysine-stuff just fine, naturally.

Frack is still at the Vet's. Her eyes are not responding to treatment as quickly as they would like and today they tested her for FeLV (Feline Leukemia Virus). At least she is negative for that. Will get a further update in another couple of days. She is definitely not a well kitty-girl at the moment. :(

See you later . . . :grouphug:

gailr42
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
I figured that's what you meant. On the occasion that our cats need medication, they seem to know when I am thinking about giving it to them. Then they avoid me. Prescient, are they? They also know when I am thinking about getting them in the house, and run from me.

teacher1
12-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Hi everyone,
Today was a crazy day at school. The kids were totally wild. I'm crossing my fingers for a snow day tomorrow. We're getting an ice storm tonight. Have a great night.

gailr42
12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Now teacher, remember all the summer vacation you get (no pay), the short hours you work (never mind all the paper grading you do on your own time), how easy a job teaching is anyway (?) and no wishing for bad weather....I seriously do not envy you your job.

If you don't have to work tomorrow, you can make fifty gallons of soup for future use.

ArtCat
12-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Teacher- I bet you got your wish! Our schools were closed here, and we've had sleety stuff falling all night. I remember how excited I always was when my kids had snow days- there's something magic about it.

I love the term Onederland- I want to live there forever!

When my cats won't eat their medicine, I smear it on their face or paws, and then they need to clean it off. Of course, first you need to get close enough to touch them.

teacher1
12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Liz- Congrats on the weight loss!!!

I have a snow day :) Yeah!!!!!! Have a great day.

gailr42
12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
The sun is shining and the birdies are singing around here. A bit of a breeze, so it's cool.

meowee
12-11-2007, 05:27 PM

I'm still out here . . . and, although the weather was a little better today, I'm in a very down mood over this poor little cat that is still at the Vet's. They really can't figure out just what is the problem. My Vet is now trying to find a specialist in Bengal Leopard Cats in the hopes of getting some more clues. If it was just Herpes, she should be getting better by now, but she isn't. :( They've also tested for a couple of other things today and everything is still coming back negative. The Herpes is the only positive they have so far. At least her sister still seems fine. She still hates me, of course, but other than that, she's fine.

As far as everything else -- well, I just finished eating about 10 ounces of a chocolate-peanut butter candy combo (not Reese's but similar) and now I feel sick -- small wonder -- and I do not even want to think about what my blood sugar reading might be right now. :o

Keep fighting the good fight, gang . . . I'll see you later.

gailr42
12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
I am sorry to hear that the cat is not getting better. I can understand why you feel down. We seem to have lost Blackie, the shop cat. Haven't seen him in several days. DH wants a kitten, but we are having bad luck with cats right now. We are the kind of people that keep cats until they are very old. Not used to having things get them.

Geeze, Linda, we don't want you to go into a diabetic coma! Be careful. I ate a whole bag of mini Reeses once. I didn't feel too great after that and I am not diabetic.

I am still not back to normal after my trip to the eastern time zone. I keep getting sleepy and hungry at odd times. Probably I need more exercise.

gailr42
12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
What's happening?

I cut up an orange and an apple. On top, I sprinkled a few sunflower seeds and pomagranite seeds. My bowl had a very festive look to it! Tasted good, too.

teacher1
12-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Gail- That sounds yummy

I had a stressful day at work. I'm on countdown for Christmas break. I had veggies and spinach/feta cheese grill chx for dinner. Yum! Have a great night.

gailr42
12-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I had a stir-fry for supper. Onions, snow peas, red swiss chard, bean sprouts, a half cup of brown rice, and some chicken. It was a gi-normous plate of food. The only thing I didn't like was the light soy sauce I used. It foams like beer and smells like beer and is not salty enough, and I am not a salt freak. Next time I'll use the "real" stuff. I used about a tablespoon of olive oil. Some of it stayed in the pan and on the plate, but that is more oil than I usually put on anything. That's why it was so yummy.

Steelslady
12-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Not having a great day today. My diabetic cat, Jazz, had a massive seizure/stroke this morning and has gone to that wonderful kitty play park in the sky where nothing can ever hurt him again. He was almost 14 and had had a happy life (I think). :cry:

This is not the hairball spitter, by the way.

:hug: to you. We lost our Josie to the same thing (seizure) the day after Labor Day. Very tough to come home to and see her on the floor gone while we were only gone for an hour.

She was the sixth cat we lost in two and 1/2 years time. Two died of old age, two had a genetic heart defect- (they were brother and sister, were rescue kittens, and their hearts never grew to adult size so unfortunately, they were walking time bombs, as the vet put it)- the third rescue kitten/cat was born outdoors and hence, we could never keep him indoors and he disappeared one night during a snow storm and never came back. He was their half brother, so for all we know, he, too, could have had the same problem and perhaps passed away outdoors without our knowledge. He was well known in our neighborhood- everyone loved him, and no one had seen him after that snowstorm, so who knows. :(

We lost all 3 of our rescue kittens around the ages of 1 and 1/2 years to 2 and 1/2 years of age- very hard to deal with, when you consider our first three cats, all from the same litter, were old when they passed on (12-15 years old). You'd think I would have learned my lesson last October after losing the third rescue kitten/cat and not got any more cats, so what did I do? Adopted 3 more from the animal shelter a week before Christmas, only to lose our Josie in 9 months time. :( We still have the other two cats, and I love them to pieces. My male cat Jodo is helping me write this post as I type it, if you know what I mean. ;)

I'm sure I'll torture myself some more and get another cat or two from the Humane Society soon just because I can't resist them. I've decided from now and on to take in black cats for the rest of my life, as according to the Humane Society- they are the hardest to adopt out due to superstitions about them- a fact I never knew as I can remember a time when folks were desperately looking for black kittens/cats to adopt and could never find them. :o

Anyhow, I just wanted you to know how sorry I am about your kitty. They are just like family and losing them is devastating, but at the same time, remember how much your love and devotion to him made his life as a pampered baby a pleasurable and happy one. As my flirty Jodo winks at me now, sighing with contentment next to me, I know I made the right choice in backing down and getting another three cats to love and adore. :p I just wish Josie had more time with us, but knowing I got her out of a cage and gave her nine months of love and kitty happiness makes it all the worthwhile.

ArtCat
12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Well, I just found out that the cat we're babysitting is going to be given away after the family moves back to Texas. They want to know if we want to keep it- I'm guessing my husband will say no, but it's worth a shot. She's a nice kitty, although I really wanted to pick out my own kitten for my third cat. We're scheduled to keep her until Dec 26, and they're going to move some time in Jan., so we've got a little time to figure all this out. The whole thing kind of makes me mad- it's not fair to ask us to get to know this kitty, and then threaten to get rid of her. We almost have no choice.

Back to dieting- I think I'm doing OK this week, lots of soup so far, and that really seems to make a difference. Our exercise machine is on it's way, so I'm hoping that helps with my lack of exercise lately.

Linda- how's the patient doing?

meowee
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Just a quick HI . . . :grouphug:

It is snowing -- just for a change.

I now have two cats at the Vet's . . . Purrecious went in yesterday. Looks like it will soon be three because Mouse just started sneezing and squinting, too. Hope I can wrestle him into a cage to make the trip. At least the Vet tells me that Frack is finally showing signs of recovering.

I'm a mess . . . eating every bad for me thing I can get my hands on.

See you later . . . :wave:

teacher1
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
My prayers go out to all the sick kitties.

Gail- I was reading your post and chuckling because I had chicken stir fry for dinner.

Have a good night everyone. Tomorrow we might get snow. I'm sure all the kiddos will be wild. Wish me luck :)

gailr42
12-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Good luck, Teacher. Like I said, I don't envy you your job.

I have been really good about not eating too much meat. Tonight I cooked a small steak for me and sliced half of it on a piece of toasted french bread. I had a big pile of grilled veggies and an equally big salad and a little white potato about the size of an egg. I am stuffed. I can use the other half of the steak for a sandwich tomorrow. I would guess the steak was about 5 oz, so that is about 2.5 oz per serving. My indulgence was blue cheese salad dressing. I mix a tbs plain yogurt with a tbs lite sour cream and stir in about two tsp blue cheese crumbles. Not as yummy as the real thing, but not bad.

ArtCat
12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Gail- I want to eat at your house.

meowee
12-14-2007, 05:35 PM

Just wanted to check-in. Nothing new around here -- Snowing again -- I'm eating poorly -- the cats are still ill. SSDD. :shrug:

See you later.

teacher1
12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey,
Today was a good day but not really for eating well. Tomorrow I'm planning on getting in some much needed exercise.

meowee
12-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Another day of mostly all the same stuff . . . it's still snowing and blowing . . . cats are still about the same; but at least no worse than yesterday.

Keep fighting the good fight, gang . . . :wave:

teacher1
12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey everyone,
Well it snowed last night and it looks so beautiful. My DB bought a Precor elliptical today :) I'm so excited. It won't be delivered until the 24th but what a great Xmas present. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

gailr42
12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Wow! Congratulations on a great Christmas gift.

Linda, I am so happy to hear that the cats aren't any worse. Hopefully they will soon be good as new.

I have to brag about my dinner tonight. It was perfect :cool:.

Romaine/spinach salad with pears, raspberries and raspberry vinaigrette
Scallops with orange sauce
Haricots verts almondine
Sweet potatoes pureed with fresh orange juice

A cup of "energy" tea from Republic of Tea

The fat involved is 10 calories in the scallops (according to the pkg), five almonds (35 cal) and 1 T olive oil(120).

I got everything cooked just right, which is always gratifying.

We got some oranges from DH's brother's orange tree. They are really good, so I am thinking of ways to use them, aside from just eating.

meowee
12-16-2007, 04:47 PM

We've got storm warnings of every nasty kind going on at the moment . . . and I know that's true for a lot of the rest of Canada and the northeastern US as well.

Would just :love: to be at your house Gail for both the weather and that terrific sounding meal.

Try to stay warm and cozy gang. :grouphug:

gailr42
12-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I've been watching the weather reports! You are in for some really nasty weather. It is right at 50°F with a light breeze and sunshine here. Cool enough that I don't want to go out without a jacket, but all in all quite nice.

Yes, my dinner was nice, but later I went on a binge with animal crackers, cashews and other bad stuff. I am not usually a binge eater and I don't know what brought this on unless I didn't eat enough earlier in the day.

gailr42
12-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Hey! I know you are all busy with Christmas preparations just like I should be! Another cool, but tolerable day here. My eating was good. Take care, stay warm!

meowee
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Guess what . . . the weather is not looking too bad around here today. The sun is actually shining and it is not as windy as it has been. Still pretty cold; but nothing nasty is dropping out of the sky right now. All in all, not too bad -- as long as you can stay home and not hve to brave the ice-covered roads. :s:

I've got four of the five cats home and in fairly good shape. Hopefully I'll be able to say the same about Purrecious in another day or two also. The twins (Frick and Frack) are certainly happy to be back together again. :yes:

Nothing too exciting for me -- still doing some comfort-knitting -- still doing some laundry; but I'm almost packed and ready to head to Ontario at the end of the week. Still cannot report that I'm eating OP, however . . . this is definitely not proving to be one of my better months so far.

Have a great day of doing as much of the good stuff as you can, chickies -- see you soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Linda, I am so glad to hear that most of your brood is home! Enjoy your trip and remember, we have plenty of time to diet. Well, unless our diets outlive us. :lol:

teacher1
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
That's great news Linda.
Well the diet is not looking so hot. There are soooo many goodies at school.

ArtCat
12-19-2007, 09:47 AM
I've been so busy with work lately, I've barely touched what I need to do for XMas! We're getting ready for Market on Jan 10- what a stupid day to set it for. Every year I spend most of my XMas getting ready for this Market, getting the new designs in, and this year photographing and putting together a booklet for our line. Soon enough she'll have a website up and then I can show everyone what I do. Who knew the needlepoint business was so hot!

In the meantime, I've been eating when I can and not planning, so I doubt things are going well here, either. I haven't dared weigh myself.

But my kids are coming home Saturday for a week, so I'll make sure I have enough done so I can slow down and enjoy them.

We did get our exercise machine yesterday and looked it over. It's got a few parts missing, so my DH will handle that today and put together what he can. I think I could use it for stress reduction lately!:dizzy:

JIMNSC
12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Hello ladies, I hope you don't mind an old man stopping by to say hello. I'm in the process of reading both Volumetrics books and my wife and I both are interested in beginning this new way of eating after the first of the year. I went ahead and registered in preparation of our new beginning and will probably be full of questions once we start. We're waiting until after Christmas for obvious and perhaps selfish reasons - hope you understand.

We have been advocates of the South Beach Diet in the past and were most successful the first time around but things change - like the readings on our bathroom scale for instance. Every time I think about doing Phase I of that way of eating again I think of losing the opportunity to have fresh fruit and we can have it on Volumetrics.

I read quite a few of your posts and have found them interesting. A little bit about myself. I'm retired from a large utility and am 66 years old. We live in South Carolina. My wife is 9 years my junior, still works, and is not apt to readily participate in a forum such as this. She's a little introverted and quiet but that's okay as I never have any competition for the floor.:D

Until we begin I will continue to read your posts but would like to know up front if you all would have a problem with my joining in from time to time?
Thanks for your ear and hopefully, acceptance. I'm harmless.:dizzy:

Jim:candy:

meowee
12-19-2007, 05:44 PM
:welcome: JIM (and Jim's wife, too). Glad to have you with us. You'll like Volumetrics, I'm sure. It is really quite in-sync with just about every plan you can think of and is particularly nice because nothing is really on a forbidden list. :wel3fc: too -- we do have a few other guys running around here; just none right in the Volumetrics thread with us -- if you wander around a few other places on the boards I'm sure you'll bump into them from time to time.

I don't think you are being at all selfish in not buckling down until January. All you really do if you try to be OP over the holidays is get frustrated anyway. At least I know I certainly do.

My goal for December was to finish it where I started -- but -- as of this morning I'm almost 3 pounds over my ticker and there's still another eleven days left to the month. :yikes:

Hey, gang, all we can do is our best. :shrug:

gailr42
12-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Welcome, Jim and wife! I don't blame you for not wanting to start until January. I started in January last year. You might be thinking about what food you need to finish off or pass on to someone else, before you start your new way of life. Planning seems to be one of the big predictors of sucess.

teacher1
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Welcome Jim :)
I'm all over the place with my eating. I know I've been gaining some weight cause my clothes are a little tight :( I'm going to weight myself after the holidays and make a fresh plan with some specific goals for the new year.

Liz- I know what you mean by not being ready for Xmas yet, it seems that life has been moving in fast forward lately. Only 2 more days until winter break for me. Yeah

gailr42
12-19-2007, 08:43 PM
They had munchies at work today. I ate a couple handfuls of chips and about 1/2C nacho dip. I don't know how many calories, but I am proud of myself for controling myself as much as I did. Last time, I promised myself to eat only the things that I really like and I really like the nacho dip, which was homemade. I passed up all the store bought cookies, candy etc.

ArtCat
12-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Jim and wife, and welcome! I know how you feel about interrupting people on the forum, but if you check you can see that I joined not too long ago, too. I read through all the threads first, so when I joined I felt I knew the people fairly well, but through spying. It's really not like that- we want more people to talk and share experiences, successes, failures and things they figure out. Gently encourage your wife to read and maybe contribute- it's the perfect place for quiet people, because no one knows who you are.

Spend the holidays getting rid of stuff in your house that you know is bad for you- then you'll be ready to go in January.

You mentioned that you were on the South Beach Diet before- I personally eat the breakfast bars from them if I don't have time to make my own. I figure that they're healthier than other types of breakfast bars, and I like that they have lots of protein in them. I just be sure to add veggies and fruit later in the day.

When I first started the Volumetrics program I even tried to make my morning coffee my breakfast by adding in protein powder and fiber powder, along with my usual sugar-free flavored creamer. The ED was low, but it didn't work too well. Looking back on it, that was a pretty stupid thing to try...

Our exercise gym is now assembled, but I haven't had time to go play with it yet- I'm hoping to get to that some time today. I definitely need to kick-start my metabolism!

Teacher- you're gettomg the elliptical machine, right? Is it a walking one? Does it seem like it'll be better than the treadmill? Keep us posted...

meowee
12-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Just a quick :wave: this morning. Keep doing the good stuff, gang.

gailr42
12-20-2007, 06:59 PM
That's funny adding all that stuff to your coffee :lol:. How did it taste? I sort of don't like messing with my coffee. For instance, I can't get used to skim milk in my coffee. 1% is fine, so I go with that.

It is only 3pm and I have already eaten less than ideally. I made a chuck roast this morning for us to eat tonight. I ate a little of that without waiting to skim off the fat. I also had some more of that nacho stuff. They brought it out again today. If it is still here tomorrow, I think I will be able to resist.

teacher1
12-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Hello all,
Busy day at school. Santa came to my class with lots of yummy treats. I need a nap now.

ArtCat
12-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Teacher made me laugh- I guess I like naps after yummy treats, too!

I made a really good soup the other day with butternut squash, carrots and leeks in chicken broth. When the veggies are tender, you puree them (I bought myself an early Xmas present for being good this year- a handheld submersion blender stick-thing), and it comes out so creamy you 'd think it was a real cream soup. They added cream to it, so I added some fat free evaporated milk, but it really didn't need it. Now I'm thinking about lots of cream soups, like broccoli. I felt like I was Gail, making such a pretty and fancy soup! On the way home yesterday (at 2:30pm), I was starving for lunch and passed up 2 places that sell pizza by the slice because I knew I had that really good soup at home!

So Linda- how's the Cool Whip thing going? I'm assuming you put it on hold until your zoo life is back to normal? How's Purrescious doing? Is she home yet? Things are going really well here between the cat I'm babysitting and my own two. My daughter's bringing her two here on Saturday to join the party, so now I'll get to see how Linda lives! I'm guessing it's in chaos...

I forgot to tell Gail how my Coffee Food tasted- it really wasn't too bad, except it took a couple of tries to get it right, so by then I'd eaten quite a bit of that powdered fiber, which wrecked havoc with my digestive system for a day or two. The biggest problem was that I was still hungry after having Coffee Food, so that completely defeated the purpose. I guess I did it so everyone can learn from my mistakes. If anyone figures a better recipe out for Coffee Food, just let me know!

gailr42
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Over the last few years, I have learned to eat and enjoy breakfast :lol:, but I understand what it is like to be in a hurry. You are exactly right when you say we can learn from each other's mistakes!

I found a wonderful squash soup on the cooking light website. It had beer in it. Since I don't use alcohol, I bought some O'doul's Amber and used that. It was really good. I just bought another squash to make it again. What's with the high price of squash, anyway? I thought they were supposed to be cheap.

I love my imersion blender for just what you mentioned. It also does a magnificent job of pureeing sweet potatoes. In fact, mine is permanently stained yellow from using it on sweet potatoes.

meowee
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Just wanted to wish everybody a Very Merry and extremely Happy and Healthy WHATEVER it is thay you may be celebrating over the next couple of weeks.

Cats all seem pretty good right now and it is good to be back to the normal level of chaos. Amazingly enough, with all the crappy stuff I've been eating, I still have NOT touched a spoonful of Cool Whip. I will probably have some over Christmas week however.

I probably won't have a chance to check in here while I'm away . . . but you never know, I might get lucky. Hang in there gang and I'll start the new thread on January 3 when I'm back.

See you later . . . :carrot:

gailr42
12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Cheers and Happy Holidays everyone!

v42008
12-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Hi, new here.

Bought all the books and cd too.

I am vegetarian and starting Volumetrics tomorrow. keeping it simple like some others; just watching energy density, nothing else, and starting Beck Diet Solution tomorrow.

How do you start the ticker for weight loss?

teacher1
12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
v42008- Welcome, to find the directions to add a ticker go to the Announcements and Forum Help area then there is a sticky that says to add a ticker to your signature.

Everyone enjoy the holidays!!!

ArtCat
12-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Welcome, V42008!:welcome:

I bought the Beck Diet solution, too, but haven't had a chance to touch it yet. Let me know if you think it helps-

I didn't know there was a CD- what's on it?

I'm quickly making soup before my kids get here for the week, so I have something healthy to fall back on, because I know it's going to be bad! Fun bad.

Good Luck to everyone- keep the long term vision going- that makes it easier to pass on the spur-of-the-moment things you'll regret later.

teacher1
12-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Good morning everyone!!! Have a great day :)

ArtCat
12-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, we had one family Christmas Party yesterday at the Great Super King Happy China Buffet and Grill(something like that), and I was good and started the meal with soup, but it kind of went downhill from there.

We also had a decent snow storm come through yesterday, so it looks like we'll have a white Christmas, and I'll get my exercise shoveling today!

Wishing everyone a peaceful Christmas Eve:wreath:

teacher1
12-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Liz- Buffets are bad news but it sounds like a fun family time.

Tonight my family goes to grandma's house for a big dinner then to church. Tomorrow my mom will make a big yummy xmas dinner. I plan on hopping on the scale on Wed. morning. I'm sure it won't be a pretty number but then I plan on hopping on my new elliptical :) It's being set up in my house right now.

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!!!!

teacher1
12-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Merry Christmas!!! I'm at my parents house for a big xmas dinner. Have a great day :)

ArtCat
12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I realize that the big day is now gone, but if anyone else is like me, this whole week will be full of bad (yummy!) things. I usually weigh in on Monday morning, so I'm trying to stay focused until then. One day at a time...

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and has some fun plans brewing for New Years!

teacher1
12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I hopped on the scale this morning and it wasn't pretty. I adjusted my ticker and I'm planning some goals. I'm going to start a food journal which should help me at least know how much is going in my mouth. My elliptical is here in the house but is missing a bolt. The man from the store is coming this afternoon. I'll let everyone know how it works out. I upset with myself for the gain but I'm on a mission to lose all this heavy weight.

teacher1
12-27-2007, 11:51 AM
The saga continues with my elliptical. They brought the bolt yesterday but then the quick start button wasn't working. So now as I'm typing the guys are switching on my new elliptical for another new elliptical. Goodness no luck lately with fitness equipment. I'm crossing my fingers it all works out.

ArtCat
12-27-2007, 09:49 PM
We had some parts missing with our new exercise machine, too, and the parts just came in the mail yesterday. So, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

gailr42
12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Must be an omen. You two are just not supposed to exercise. The fat fairy will put a spell on you and the weight will fall of all by itself.

I read in the volumetric book that you can eat all the catagory one veggies you want. Use the serving size as a minimum. I missed that before. I was eating all I wanted anyway, but I thought I was eating too much.

ArtCat
12-28-2007, 11:53 AM
I think Gail had a good point- after my kids leave on the 1st and things get back to normal. I think I'm going to read the book again to get back on track. I'll probably notice things I missed before, because now I'm more familiar with the whole concept and have seen the difference it can make.

And I'm pretty sure the fat fairy won't be stopping here to evaporate some weight off of me. The whole exercise stuff is probably just a test to see how dedicated I am. So far, not so much.

gailr42
12-28-2007, 06:18 PM
The Fat Fairy is probably FlyLady's sister. :lol:

teacher1
12-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey gals-
Gail- I wish this weight would just slide off!

It's day 2 with my new elliptical and it's working great.

gailr42
12-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear that. It is good the store has good customer service.

ArtCat
12-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Today my DH and kids are planning on replacing the front door. The timing's not so great, what with the temps in the 20-30's, snow on the ground and 4 cats in the house, but we don't get to have the kids' help much, so today's the day! Sounds like a good day for soup!

teacher1
12-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Hello everyone,
I did 2 days on the machine then took a break today because my legs are sore. Tomorrow I plan to get a workout in. I'm trying to be careful so I don't have a foot injury again. Lol

gailr42
12-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Good Job! I walked quite a bit. I had DH let me out at Mervyn's. After I got done there, I walked down the road quite a way to meet him at Home Depot.

teacher1
12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone,
My DB and I are shopping for furniture for the new house. I'm going to set some time tomorrow to set my weight loss goals.

gailr42
12-30-2007, 06:52 PM
ArtCat, what happened with the front door? Is it in and shut against the cold, I hope?

We have been doing a little plumbing which involves water on the floor and no water in the toilet:lol:. I hope it is fixed now. We put in a new sink faucet and it leaked under the sink. One of the toilets keeps overfilling and spilling out through the flush lever opening. I have never seen that happen before. So...we got an expensive new, guaranteed to flush a bucket of golf balls toilet. We forgot to get the wax ring, so we can't do that project until I get the ring.

teacher1
12-31-2007, 08:22 PM
Happy New Years Eve everyone!!! Have a fun and safe night :)

gailr42
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Happy New Year!

bobbigene
01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
After not checking in for a month, I'm back on the diet wagon. I figure I gained back 7 of the 17 I'd lost prior to Thanksgiving which is a downer. On the up side, I still lost 10 last year which is 10 less than last January 1. So back on the volumetrics plan starting today. I'm even going to the grocery store today to stock up on lower fat/volumetrics friendly foods. Everyone else will be watching the football games or nursing their hangovers so I figure the store won't be too awful.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year's and here's to a lighter New Year!
:newyear:

ArtCat
01-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, our new front door is in, but it took a day and a half. And then the garbage disposal broke and we had to replace that, too. For a Christmas gift, my kids crawled under our addition to our house and put insulation under the floor so it wouldn't be so cold. The hole to get under the floor was too small for my husband, so the kids were kind enough to donate their bodies. Now there's a problem with our furnace, although it's still working pretty much. Hopefully that's it for messing with the house for a while!

Gail- I hope you have a working toilet now, and I also hope you never have to test the "flushing golf balls" claim they make.

I was really bad the last couple of days, so I sent all the bad food home with my kids, and we're starting over. I'm not planning on weighing myself until Monday, but I can tell that I gained some weight back. So I think everyone's probably in the same predicament!

Here's a toast to starting over with a positive mindset, and seeing great results!

teacher1
01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Happy New Year!!!
Welcome back bobbigene :)

I think Linda should be back from her trip soon. It's sad that vacation is over but I think getting back to a set schedule will help on the diet front.
Here's my plan for the New Year-
1. keep a food journal- try to stay under 1400 calories
2. do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week
3. do strength training 3 times a week
4. weight in everyday but only change my tracker on Sunday
5. yoga video at least once a week
6. reassess fitness plan at the end of each month

Anyone else have a plan for the new year?

gailr42
01-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I have probably gained a couple of pounds. I am not sure what I need to be doing other than get back to basics as far as eating goes. I keep eating ham which makes me retain water.

We have eaten up most of the food in the fridge, so I need to shop. I will be buying fruit, veggies and whole grains. I bought one of those giant double boxes of oatmeal at Costco. I think the last one took me about six months to use up.

I was wondering when Linda would be back. Soon, I guess.

ArtCat
01-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow, teacher- that's a very detailed and ambitious plan! I'm usually pretty bad at keeping resolutions, so I'm only planning on getting back into eating in a more Volumetrics way, re-reading the book, and trying to get a little bit of exercise every day, and a bigger exercise session three times a week. It'll probably help if I keep track of it, so maybe I'll mark on my calender when I do exercise. Give myself a star or something. Journaling on my weigh-in day might help, too. And drinking more water.

That's about all I'm committing to-

Now I'm going to shovel snow and count it as exercise!

teacher1
01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm making some veggie soup in my new crock pot. Have a great night :)

teacher1
01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
hello everyone,
The kiddos were back today and yikes!! I'm trying to really count calories and really stick with healthy foods. I'm doing okay but boy I just want some pizza or a cupcake. Oh well, the struggle continues.

ArtCat
01-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I know what you mean, teacher. It seems a lot harder to be dieting after you've broken your previous good mindset. Don't know if that came out right. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was easier to eat with the right frame of mind before giving in to holiday goodies. Or maybe it just seems like it in retrospect. Either way, it's time to get back on track!

I still haven't found my way to the exercise machine- my extra work for my boss should be done by Monday, so I'm hoping to get life back to a normal state after that.

I'm wondering about Linda and her houseful of cats? My daughter left with her two on Tuesday, so now we're back to 2 cats- it seems very quiet. We start babysitting for another tomorrow, so then we'll be back to 3 and lots of hissing again.

meowee
01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi . . . :grouphug:

Here's the link to the new thread for January and February . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1980801#post1980801 . . . see you all over there. :yes: