Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

Default water and weight loss

Does anyone know not drinking enough water will effect weight loss?
I know that I don't drink as much as I should. It's really weird though, because it's not that I just skip the water and drink other things. I'm just hardly ever thirsty. I'm doing better with it now thwn I used to. I used to go all day with only about 1 glass of water. Now I make myself drink it. I stll can't get myself to drink the daily reccomended amount. I just start feeling sick if I have to drink that much. Anyone else like this?
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I've been told that getting enough water helps keep metabolism up. You may be getting water from other sources that you haven't thought about, like fruits, vegetables & other foods throughout the day. I personally just keep a bottle filled at my desk at work & sip sip sip.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #3  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I was the sme way at first, had to make myself drink it and now I crave it. Take it slow andeach day increase by a glass and before you know it you'll be right where you should be.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have a hard time with water--I have to make myself remember. My strategy is to drink an 8-oz. glass every hour. Naturally I miss some of those.

You could try drinking five swallows of water every hour on the hour--something like that to get you into the habit. Don't try to drink a whole bunch at once--that's just punishment if you don't like it! But over time, you'll get more used to drinking water--you'll think about it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

Oh I am a big believer in the WATER! At first it also made me
sick to my stomach but, as I kept going that went away. Now
like someone else I acutally crave it. I bring in a water bottle
to my office and just keep filling it up over and over I swear
I must fill up a 16.9 fl oz. bottle at least 6-8 times! And yes
I do have to take alot of bathroom breaks but at least it's
better than the smoking breaks my co-workers are always
taking

Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #6  
Meg

Check out this article from the 3FC archives: Water Myths and Facts In answer to your question about whether drinking water helps with weight loss, it concludes no, not unless the water is replacing calorie-filled beverages.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #7  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I'm not a water drinker, either. I haven't found that this has prevented me from losing fat. (Yes, I know the plural of "anecdote" is not "data"!)

I do drink a lot of water at restaurants, not because I'm thirsty but because it helps eliminate the temptation to snack on the bread etc. before the meal comes. But this is the same idea as using water to replace calorie-filled drinks, i.e., what Meg said.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Im lucky because I like water, but how about some ideas to try and sneak your water in?!
How about a small glass just after you brush your teeth whilst your still sleepy?! I tend to be thirsty when i wake up. I also have a bottle of water on my desk to sip at during the day. I know that it affects weight loss if you dont drink it definitly slows it down.. so good luck!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #9  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

If I try to drink water out of glasses, I never get enough. I get enough water in by guzzling it! I keep several 1.5 liter bottles of water filled in in my fridge so I bring them with me to class, and keep one around when I'm home. I try to get in 150oz a day (I'm a very hydrated person ), or 4.5 liters! When I drink out of a water bottle, I guzzle the water down no problem. I think being able to just tilt my head back and chug helps. So, if you're having issues drinking enough, try drinking from water bottles! I re-use my plastic 1.5 liter bottles, and clean them via dishwasher.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you have any kidney issues, are on a very low sodium diet, are on high blood pressure medications, or are taking any other medications that could affect kidney function or blood levels of sodium or potassium, you shouldn't be drinking much beyond 2 quarts without speaking to your doctor first.

My mother was drinking about a gallon a day, and was hospitalized for water intoxication (very dangerous). I was advised not to exceed 3 quarts of water (including water in soups and beverages, which all count, even cafeinated beverages), because I'm on also on atenalol, the same blood pressure medication (but most blood pressure medications increase your risk)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #11  
mamamona

S/C/G: 180/172/130

Height: 5-1

Drinking plenty of water helps to reduce water weight. Apparently if your body is even slightly dehydrated then it tends to hold on to it's stores which cause increased fluid retention/water weight. Water also aides in the process of digestion and metabolism. I've heard that drinking ice cold water actually increased your metabolism because your body has to warm the water to body temperature and this supposedly burns calories. According to Weight Watchers, any non calorie, non caffeinated beverage counts though.

I have trouble getting enough in too. I try to drink a glass right when I get up in the morning quickly and I drink a bottle on my way to work (boy do I have to pee when I get there!!!! Then if you drink some with each meal it really adds up. I try to put some of those little powder packs in mine sometimes to flavor it up some. Lemon is my favorite.
mamamona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

Nice to know I'm not the only person out there that doesn't naturally get thirsty like I should. What I'm doing noe to drink as much as I can is make sure that when I'm eating anything at all I take a sip after every bit or too, also helps me to feel full faster.
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I do think it's important to stay hydrated, but a lot of the recent research suggests that the liquid you take in can come in many forms -- from the foods you eat and even caffeinated beverages. It's likely you're getting enough liquid from other sources to stay hydrated.

I'm not trying to make those who drink water feel as though they shouldn't be. If you want to drink water or like to drink water, that's great! And many people feel that drinking water helps keep them full. There are reasons beyond hydration to drink!

But sometimes I think the pressure to drink water water water is really discouraging for those who don't feel the need for it. And I especially worry that they feel "unsuccessful" even if they are seeing success in other places.

If anyone's interested, there are some links below:
http://ajpregu.physiology.org/cgi/co...ull/283/5/R993
http://www.beverageinstitute.org/hea...feine_qa.shtml

Last edited by Heather; 10-31-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote