Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default frozen pie crust dough

This is probably a long shot but does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with frozen pie crust dough (besides just throwing it out ). I'm looking for something that won't break my calorie bank. I have this dough leftover from before I started my weight loss program (yes, that means the dough has been in the freezer for two years--it's been a long journey) and my SO really hates it when I throw out food but I also need the space in my freezer, so I'd like to do something with it. It is 120 calories per serving (a serving is 1/8th of the dough), so making a pie with it is out of the question (as is the recipe I originally bought it for, which was turkey empanadas).

My best ideas are to cut it into sixteen strips, coat each strip with cinnamon or some other spice, roll up the strips and bake them. Or maybe cut it into sixteen circles, roll out each circle as thin as possible and fill it with some sort of savory filling. Anyone else have any suggestions?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 AM   #2  

It's three dollars worth of two-year-old nasty frozen pie crust. Throw it out.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #3  
Meg

I agree that two years is well past its useful life (by 18 months or so). Throw it out with a clear conscience.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Echo... echo... echo... Yeah, I've got to say, I am in total agreement with Maria and Meg - toss it, without any hesitation or guilt. The dough is most certainly not viable any more.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #5  

I make a pot pie sometimes with FF cream of chicken soup, 1/4 cup of FF sour cream. I toss in chicken breast and frozen veggies. It isn't super calorie friendly but it isn't too bad.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I think it's probably too old and should be thrown out.

BUT, we made a chicken pot pie the other day, crammed with veggies and chicken, and layered strips of pie crust over the top only (no crust on the bottom). It was very good and I think the calories were on the high side, but acceptable.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #7  
LLV

I agree with the others, just pitch it.

However, if you really wanna use it, make yourself a chicken cordon bleu. Wrap a chicken breast, a piece of deli ham and a slice of reduced-fat swiss cheese up into the dough, seal it all up and bake it

Uhhh, forgot to add, I always cook the chicken breast first. Because if you use a raw breast, the crust of the dough is gonna end up burned waiting for the chicken to cook and the juices from the chicken will make the dough soggy. So use a COOKED chicken breast, just about 4 ounces.

Last edited by LLV; 10-31-2007 at 03:26 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Barbara~Tell your SO that it had freezer burn and that even if you cooked it, it would taste nasty.

As for the empanadas~I made them once using won ton papers and then baked them. Super easy, far fewer calories and really yummy!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My mom used to do pretty much what you suggest sprinkle on a little cinnamon and sugar and bake or a little jelly and bake, the pieces can be as small as you want them to be.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote