Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

Question Anyone on Lamictal?

I have been on Lamictal for more than six months and I can't decide if it has been worth it. I feel more evened out emotionally but that could be an effect of the Lexapro I take.
I take Lexapro for OCD management and Lamictal for mood stabilization related to depression. I worry that I am taking too many meds and would appreciate hearing about other people's thoughts about Lamictal.
TIA
Keri
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hi - I take Lamictal for Bipolar II - I also take Buspar and Ativan for anxiety. I am having a difficult time right now but I truly believe that the Lamictal has saved my life - quite literally. I will need to add something soon - or mess with the dosage as I have a VERY difficult time at the holidays. I know how you feel about taking a number of meds - I take 9 altogether - but if it works I believe it is worth it.

And my boys ROCK MY WORLD !!!! The Red Sox are the World Champions again and that helps my depression !!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 10-29-2007 at 12:12 AM.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #3  

I'm on Lamictal, It is hard for me to say whether it has helped or not. I do think my mood is a bit more stable since I began taking them, but I sometimes feel a bit dopey.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

Height: 5'3"

One thing to remember is that your doc put you on these meds because they honestly think that they will help. If you are concerned, I would discuss this with them. I personally prefer seeing a psychiatrist over a general practitioner with mental disorders, but I know its not a luxury to everyone. If you are concerned, definitely discuss it with your doc. You could also discuss lowering the dosage to see if the Lamictal is really helping or not. As you lower it and see no change, you and your doc may decide that you do not need it. Good luck.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #5  

Mmm, I take Lamictal, prescribed for epilepsy rather than bipolar (which I have anyway!), but its same drug, so heres my 2cents!

I havnt had a seizure (touch wood, and after all thats what I was prescribed it for so cant moan too much) but mood...no effect, aside from INTENSE agitation for a couple of days while i was *loading up* my dose.

xxxxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #6  

Hi there! I take Lamictal for Bipolar II Disorder. It has helped me a lot; nearly a night and day difference for me. As far as gaining weight; I'm not sure it's the Lamictal that is causing my issues.

Last edited by xxxLizzyxxx; 11-14-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
xxxLizzyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/117/85

Height: 5'3

i also take lamictal for a mood stabalizer and i'm on fluvoxamine for OCD management. i've been on them both for about 2 years, i'm always switching around my meds, i've been on these the longest. but i'm starting to wonder as well if it's even worth it to take this many meds (i take 5 diff. pills a day). i'm actually trying to talk to my doctor about going off my meds and seeing if i can deal with things on my own for once since i've been on meds for almost my whole life. if you ever need to talk messege me anytime, it seems like we might be going through the same thing.
<3
LighterThenAir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

Height: 5'4"

my foster daughter was on 200mg of lamictal when lowered down things went down hilll. she would flip moods over little things. She would go to her room and slam the door if I asked her to get a paper or something stupid. Not her normal behavior. She is now up on 150 and it is a little better but I think she needs to be up to the 200 they added celexa to help the crying but i think it was all because of the change in lamictal. So be careful and go slow.
momof4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/172/135

Height: 5'7

I am takeing exactly what you are CatWuv 150mg of lamictal and 20 mg of lexopro.. the lamictal is for a mood disorder and the lexopro is for anxiety & depression.... all i know is I feel SOOOOOO much better!! I don;t think its affesting the way I eat... I think I just eat because I really like food
LadyJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #10  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I have to agree with witchyonadiet, Lamictal has saved my life. I am a totally different person on it...much more stable and I haven't had to go to the hospital since I've been on it. It allows me to lead a relatively "normal" life, meaning no hospitals, no crying all the time, stable relationships. It's tempting to think that I'm "cured" but I know I'm not because in the past when I felt good, I've tried to go off meds only to go way downhill. No more going off meds for me, but that is just my experience. I love Lamictal!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #11  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

My 22 yo daughter is on it. I have to see by just noticing her mood since she came home from college on her winter break, she is much better. Her mood swings are better and we actually could have a conversation without her getting mad at me! She was also on 20mg of lexapro but weaned off of it as she gained 30 pounds. I think the two meds together were awesome for her, lets see as she is off the lexapro.
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #12  

Night and day difference for me on a 200 dose. When someone told me to cut out every chemical sweetener too, that helped even more to the point where I cut back the dosage. Equal (asparatame) is known for ADD like symptoms. Three days after stopping all of them, including sucralose, it was like a cloud was lifted mentally.
scorpiochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #13  

I am on Lamictal. But I just started it yesterday. I am hoping it will not make me gain any more weight.
TaterbugTwins is offline   Reply With Quote