Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #1  

Default Onderland Reflections

So, I finally did it!! I've made it to Onderland! And the week before my TOM to boot! I never thought numbers could make me cry, but I honestly just cried like a baby when I saw 1-9-9 pop up on my scale.I weighed myself like 4 different times just to be sure because I couldn't believe it. I don't recall being below 200lbs since middle school. The lowest weight I recall was 178lbs, and I think I was in 8th grade. The only reason I know is because when I left middle school, they gave me my height/weight chart along with my medical files when I left school. On it my weight was listed as 178lbs. What's so interesting is I never knew the actual number until then.

What can I say about being in Onderland for the first time in my adult life? It feels good and positive, but not without it's challenges. The night after the big weigh in, I was getting off the train walking home from work and some young man made some sexual comment towards me as I walked by. The statement, which I will not repeat included the word "fat" and what he wanted to do to me. I typically don't stand for this, and would've said something back but I was too annoyed and disgusted. It also got me thinking about why I was fat in the first place. My fat served a purpose in my life. It was my layer of protection. I've known that for a while now, but I finally realized that being fat was no longer healthy nor something I needed and that I could take care of myself. But as strange as it sounds, I'm mourning my loss of fat, my insulated layers of protection. After that guy's comment to me, for a moment I felt scared and unsafe, feelings I'd been trying to avoid since I started piling on the pounds in 6th grade. Thank goodness for therapy!

I've also realized that getting to a healthy weight range for my height and body type is actually going to happen. For the longest time I thought I was just "big boned" or just made to be big, but now I know the opposite is true. I'm 5'3 and actually quite petite, who knew?

What's hard about this place is my body is changing in so many ways, I hardly recognize myself. I went to a meeting and had to sign-in using my work ID that was taken at my highest weight, and the security guard asked if that was really me in the picture? LOL. I laughed hysterically, I didn't believe it. This is the also the place where the real work begins for me. For so long getting to 199lbs was that goal I never could quite reach. 199 seemed like the land of utopia for my weight loss. I honestly believed for such a long time that once I got here I would be content, but I'm actually not. I got to 199 only to realize I'm now obese, just not morbidly obese, now I'm just regular fat. Don't get me wrong, I am so thrilled with what I've been able to accomplish, but my reality is there's so much more I can do. This is also where the rubber has met the road in terms of solidifying a healthy lifestyle for myself. Now that I've met this goal, I've set another, but this is really about being healthy for life. It's no longer let me just get to 199lbs and go back to all of my old habits. This is for real. I can have the body I've always wanted if I continue my commitment to myself and being healthy. It's a constant work in progress. I feel like that's what all of the diet books fail to tell you.

I've learned so much from all of you here on 3FC. I've grown so much, and you all continue to inspire me each day. It even provides me with a little bit of competition, which also keeps me going. When I see people who started out at the same weight as me and they continue to lose and be successful, it makes me want to push myself even harder. Anybody who asks me about my weight loss, I always tell them to come here, it's such a great place to be.

I know I've said a lot here, but thanks so much for reading and your support.

In Consistent Health,
Lola
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

Lola, you're amazing!!

Congratulations on making it to Onederland!!!

I have been afraid to shed my pounds of insulation, too. But like you, I want to be healthy. I never felt anybody understood how protected I felt from my fat until I found 3fc. You are not alone!!

Have a fabulous day!!

Last edited by ggmugsy; 10-31-2007 at 11:07 AM.
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #3  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

lola!!! I can tell you feel AWESOME!!! Keep up the good work and you'll be at your goal in no time.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Awesome work! WTG!

Last edited by Lovely; 10-28-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Congrats

Amazing job! You deserve it.
Just do me a favor and save me a seat. I'm planning a trip to onderland myself. It will be a while yet but I'm coming!!

Keep up the good choices and you'll go far!
Supersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8"

Thank-you so much for your post, I so needed to read those words today. Onderland seems so far away......it fades from view so often I wonder if it really does exist for me. Thanks for yelling back and letting me know its there, I hope to meet you soon on the other side.

Last edited by Gaterra; 10-29-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Gaterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - great post. And congratulations!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #8  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 261/259/155

Height: 5'5"

Good insights! It's so odd the things you realize about yourself and your body as you shed the pounds. Each "goal" I've reached has felt different than I expected. You just don't know what it's going to be like until you get there.

I can totally relate with not knowing what weight you were in the past. I have no idea what I weighed in high school or middle school. I was so self-conscience and ashamed that I never weighed myself. I found some old clothes from high school that now fit me (some are still too small), so I figure I might be about the same weight now, but the funny thing is that all the tags are cut out of the clothes. I was so bothered by my weight back then that I cut out the tags so no one could see the size. But what's even crazier is that I think I look pretty good now. I thought I was a horrilby huge, ugly monster person in high school. I think maybe if I had not thought so badly of myself back then I might not of packed on more weight later. Who knows though? I'm just glad I'm losing it now.

Good luck!

Last edited by SkiniJeni; 10-31-2007 at 08:47 AM.
SkiniJeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #9  
Sandra

S/C/G: 230/195.0/145

Height: 5'4"

Lola ~
First of all congratulations... awesome job!!!
Secondly, thank you for your post as I am approaching 199 hopefully within the next few days and I've been wondering how I will feel. I posted earlier tonight asking others their thoughts and experiences, then I came across your post. I appreciate hearing your honesty about how you felt.
Keep up the great work!!
OneLastTime is offline   Reply With Quote