Old 10-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #1  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Default Starting WW at home soon... tips?

Hello everyone! After going up and down for the past two years, I'm putting my foot down. I'm going to get myself back down to what I weighed two summers ago no matter what! So, I've decided to try something new. I ordered a starter pack of WW books on ebay and I should be receiving them sometime next week.

So, in the interim... Does anyone have any good tips for starting up with WW on your own? Any advice would be much appreciated. I really want to stick with things this time no matter where life takes me (and believe me, it's taken me for a ride since I've started college here).

Thanks everyone!! <3
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 287.5/257.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome <3, this is a good group for support.

Take advantage of your beginning enthusiasm to lock in healthy habits. Many of us begin great guns blazing and then enthusiasm wanes. As you start- try and keep in mind that it's a change of lifestyle and habits. Try to remember it's not about "good" or "bad" food- just healthier choices. The great thing about WW is that no food is "off limits" (as long as you count it) and if the day calls for ice cream or pizza you can choose to eat it. I look at it as a way to make informed choices about food (and food is almost always a choice to make).

Start journaling what you eat now, even before you get the program info. It takes time for that to become a habit and it takes a while to train your eyes to portions. Right now, you don't have to necessarily change foods you eat, just pay attention to what you're eating and when and maybe why if it's not out of hunger. Make a note of your normal habits and daily cycle. That will help you figure out what trigger foods you have and when your weakest moments of the day are. Like I've figured out that I need to keep the food fire stoked all day every 3-4 hours and do best if I only get a little hungry and not famished (at that point all logic is apt to be lost). Others do better with no snacks. Some folks HAVE to have dessert after dinner, others want a before bed nibble.

Start clearing unhealthy things from your kitchen. Keep your absolute faves or look for lower calorie healthier versions.

Start adding veggies at every meal you can. Look for cookbooks or buy magazines like "Cooking Light" for ideas.

Get in the habit of drinking lots of water. Have it with you everywhere. Also always have a snack with you- fruit, high fiber snack or granola bar (I like Kashi bars myself). That way, if you're stuck and can't get a meal, you don't have to go with fast food. (It also helps if you're about to make an afternoon run through the grocery on the way home and are STARVING! That way you don't buy things you might not want around the house.)

Start eating breakfast if you don't do so now. It really helps get you and your body into the day and if it's a balanced one will stay with you for several hours.

Learn to read labels like a food detective. Sometimes the low fat or light option isn't really lower in calories or might contain things you don't want to eat (like trans fats or added sugar).

Exercise or activity- if you cringe at the word think back to childhood and try to remember what you did like to do. For me it's water stuff and not running (or jogging). Look for fun activities and sometimes it really helps to have a class or group to go to a couple times a week.

Come here for support and to celebrate victories, however small.

Good Luck!
ruthannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #3  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Thank you so much for all your help! Much of that I've done in the past to lose weight. In fact, I used to live such a lifestyle.

...then I went to college. Heh.

Anyway! I think the biggest challenges for me will be not eating junk food when my boyfriend does and also exercising more. I used to exercise a lot. I would go to the gym daily and walk on the treadmill for a good hour while watching the TVs there. When I moved, I discovered that my college's gym only plays ESPN on their TVs, which bores me, and because I am ADD I have a hard time exercising without that TV for me to focus on. I get too bored otherwise. I'm planning on buying a treadmill once I have the money, but that'll be a month or two at least.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, though! I am going to begin food journaling today. I just hope I can remember everything I ate, and that I don't get too depressed by it because I know I ate a ton of junk food! Eeeep!

<3
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 AM   #4  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Welcome lessthansign3--I absolutely agree with everything Ruthannie said. I would just add the following.

Plan, plan, and plan. If possible plan your menus a week in advance. Now I don't know if you are eating mostly from your college dining facilities. If that's the case the best thing is if you have access to their menus ahead of time or just learn their routine of when they serve what. If they are your primary source for meals I say stock up on snacks for the day while there or if you are a grocery shopper you can pack your snacks and possibly a breakfast and lunch. Also if you know you will be eating fast food here and there go on www.dwlz.com and make a list of your favorite restaurants and note the points for what's healthy and keep that with you.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

Although I'm a planner, I keep a copy of the fast food points guide for my fave restaurants in my car. Usually I can plan ahead, but once in awhile life throws us a curve ball, so by having that with me, I can still stay OP.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #6  
lisameng

Hello all,
Today is my first day of ww by myself. I have the ww intro pkg..but will try on my own.
lisameng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #7  
banned

welcome!

im sor4ry to say this but i suggest you return the ebay kit: it may be cheaper but it only gives you the food companions not the starter book&plus as of 12-09, the program has been revised. i suggest a home kit or 1 meeting to get the book.
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/187/144

Height: 5.5

i must agree with u, lessthansign3...i was pretty healthy until i got to college...then it seemed lk there was no time to do anything...i am in a design major and it seems lk with 3 or 4 classes of design work, you never have time to get to the gym.

just needed to throw that in there before i introduced myself...i am 21 years old and decided to start the at home program myself starting Jan. 1st! this summer i was actually using the Fat Smash diet that is seen on Celebrity Fit Club on VH1 and was doing excellent on that...i lost 12lbs and was really happy that my clothes were starting to fit again....but then vacations came and i stopped the diet...i tried getting back on it a couple times but at that time i was back in school, so the planning was very hard! but i have decided to start a diet again...i must...now that i have gained back that 12lbs...

not only that but in 6 mnths my sister is getting married and then a year and 4mnths after that...i am getting married! and of course i wanna looking slamming for both!!! this time around tho...i have my mom to help me...she is joining me in this diet so i am hoping this will help me stay on track. on top of that, i have already joined a gym...something i have never done b4 so i am already on my way! im 21 years old and 30lbs heavier then my fiance....i am 195...and wanna get down to my healthy weight of 124-138...in which i havent been that low since like 8th grade. so...i have used 3fc before (while on FS) and i loved the help and support that i received from this community...so just wanted to say hello and im ready to get going!
GoalDown50 is offline   Reply With Quote