Support Groups - CALLING all tall girls

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : CALLING all tall girls

freethetoys
10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
just wondered, looking around the site, if there were any tall girls i could contact. i somtimes wonder because im taller, do i hold my weight better? i mean im 192lbs, but know one belives me. (which im not complaining about)
so i was just wondering, if anyone out there is 5ft10 + and trying to loose weight.
everything is so much further away for us too lol. long legs and all.
anyway contact me if u are would be nice to meet some other tall curvy ladies.

Piper129
10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
I am not super tall... but people never believe that I weigh as much as I actually do. I am 5ft 7in.

modkittn
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
I've always been told that I never looked like I weighed as much as I did. In fact, people wouldn't believe me when I told them how much I weighed. I get that even now. People think I weigh 140 and not 160.

Lovely
10-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Being tall can help. Extra weight has more area to be distributed over, so it's not quite as noticeable as someone who is shorter than average.

Cookie_Monster
10-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Being tall definitely helps...it helped me STAY in denial because my weight distributed itself pretty evenly. But I believe it has also helped me lose weight pretty quickly as well....being 6' tall my metabolism and caloric requirement have to be higher than the average woman right? My final goal weigh-in is on Halloween...if I make it, I will have lost 40lbs in 3 months. Have you found it's helped you at all in that respect?
I will say it does seem to make some things a little more challenging in the gym though.

freethetoys
10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
yeh maybe thats true, if i have a very low cal diet, i feel completly exhausted, even if i eat sustainfull wheats and oats rather then just frutie ect.
but when i do diet, it usually goes quick. well somtimes, i do reach a plateau every now and then, which is hard to fight through, need to be harder on myself with the exercise i think. 155lbs will be an impressive goal if i ever got there (if i ever want to) id be very proud, and have lost like 100lbs lol.
being tall i think can be deceptive to the dieter in bad ways....im tall and broad so i just feel like a giant lol, but i think i dont look hugly plump....if that makes sence.
any who, nice to know there are others out there who have similar questions/issues

alinnell
10-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Even at my highest, no one thought I looked fat. Not only did my height help hide it, but my fashion choices at the time helped also. People are still amazed when I tell them how much I've lost. Of course, I still get the "you don't need to lose any more" comments, but I know my body--they don't.

SapphireBlue
10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I agree, people will say, "No way you weigh over 200." Height is deceptive.

Tharmony
01-01-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm six feet tall and feel like my proportions have they're advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, when I gain five to ten pounds my clothing size doesn't change. On the other hand, while I'm loosing weight I have to lose 15 pounds before I can get that great feeling of victory from going down a size.

I find that my build confuses other people as well. It's not just that other people don't believe what my actual weight is, they're surprised by my size as well. At 230 I wear a size 18.

Has anyone else noticed that being tall lets you wear a smaller size at a higher weight than average?

Generally, do you know how much weight you lose (or gain) between sizes?

GatorgalstuckinGA
01-01-2008, 12:25 PM
i'm short...but what i've noticed is that tall girls always look thinner than their actual wt. It is amazing how with a taller body, the fat has more places to distribute. I wish i was taller...not necessarily for the wt issue but so i could stop using step stools LMAO....

nylisa
01-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm only 5'8, but people routinely think I weigh less than I do.

ViolinJenn
01-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm 5'10" and now that I've gone from a size 20 to now being between a 10 and 12 people don't believe me! They say I don't look like a size 12, that I look smaller. I've lost about 85-90lbs so far(I gained a few on vaca during this past week) but it has taken me along time due to former meds and extreme stress, but being tall is a double edge sword. Yes, we look thinner, but it takes us longer(for me anyway) too see the changes physically. I also need to lose 15 pounds before I can go down a size in pants.

Oaktree
01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
I am 5'8" with a large frame and I too find that weight fluctuations don't show as much on me. I had a good friend comment to me at the gym that I had "certainly lost all the baby weight." Well, no, actually I am 30 lbs heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight. So, I guess that is a major advantage to being tall.

To go down a size, I have to lose a fair amount of weight. And even then, I don't expect to ever wear the really small sizes. At my lowest weight ever, I still could only fit into some size 8's--I was usually a 10. I will never fit my shoulders, no matter how slim they are, into a size 4 shirt.

I am in a size 14 now and will be happy to get back into 10's. But my major focus is on getting healthier--I have high blood pressure that really responds to diet and exercise. I don't want it to become a lifelong problem.

aksuzyq
01-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm 5'9", my sister is 6'. She has rarely weighed under 200 lbs, but when she does get under 180 she LOOKS thin! And the one time she was around 160 she looked sick. Too thin for her body type. She is broad shouldered. Her goal is and has always been 175.

As for me, people don't comment that I've lost weight (when I have) but they do comment that they didn't realize I was so tall. ;) Getting thinner makes you look taller, I guess.

I too am 30+ lbs post pregnancy, trying to lose it before summer. My little darling just turned 9 months old, so it's time!

MissAlyss
01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm 5'9 and my big problem with weight loss has been "Oh, but you're tall!" - And I am a bigger woman, but I carry my weight well - In fact, my nutritionist point blank said "You're cursed with the fact that you are proportionate and carry your excess weight well!" So while I am heavier than I should be, it works for the way I look - but it's time to shed it for the health!! I'm down 17 pounds but have about 50 more to go.. Luckily she told me she'd be happy to see me at 200, which sounds like a good goal to me :)

Ohhhh you know what I hate though, about my tall body type? No, not my body, I love my tall body - but I hate jeans!!! Jeans always fit me in the hips, but are too short and then the *** and thighs SAG!!

Tharmony
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Ohhhh you know what I hate though, about my tall body type? No, not my body, I love my tall body - but I hate jeans!!! Jeans always fit me in the hips, but are too short and then the *** and thighs SAG!!

Hey, you just described the way most jeans fit me. I've had better luck with the fit of some that are specifically in Tall sizes (from Lane Bryant and JC Penny). Have you tried that? The styles are limited compared to jeans for average or petites, but jeans are a classic piece so a good fit can transcend trends.

When I'm wearing pants that are okay while standing but too short when I sit, I try to wear boots to minimize the high water appearance of my ankles.

JamieY
01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I also have to lose about 15 lbs before I can fit into a smaller dress size. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to lose 10-15 lbs before I see a change physically. I always thought I was imagining things. Being tall helped a significant amount with my pregnancy, my first pregnancy I gained 60 lbs, got up to 202 and no one could even tell I gained that much.

realitymom
01-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Fellow tall women! YAY!! I am 6' tall & it is VERY true that height plays a BIG part in weight appearance to others. I currently weigh in at 290 (sz 24), so I need to lose quite a bit. Yet, when I was my smallest, 194 (sz 12/14), family & friends said I was looking sickly & to STOP losing weight. Funny thing though, my docotr said I should be between 136 & 172. Uhhh, yeah. Not in this lifetime. I felt my best at around 200, so I would love to get back to that. If I get smaller, cool, but I don't anticipate it. LOL

I also see no clothing size change for a 10lb loss. I have to lose at LEAST 15lbs(more like 18) to drop a size. *sigh* Course, I can gain 15-18lbs & not have to buy a bigger size. It is a double edged sword, isn't it? ;)

aksuzyq
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
With my last pregnancy, I had people who didn't even notice I was pregnant. They figured I'd just gained a bit of weight. Mmm hmm...

And yes to the boots comment, I LOVE boots. Helps with those not-quite-long-enough jeans. I lived for the capri era, all my pants were in style then.

realitymom
01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
LOL

I HATE capris, tho they are growing on me now. Reminded me of my childhood days of jeans looking like capris when the look was NOT cool. *sigh* And tennis shoes when I was a kid...GAH! All the cute styles were NEVER in my size. Plain white KEDS were about as trendy as I could find. So sad...lol. Seriously, it was embarrasing back then. Now I look back & giggle. Ahhhh, adolesence.

JamieY
01-03-2008, 07:06 PM
People didn't think I was pregnant either, just got fat. lol. I guess that's a good thing. I love boots, but I can never find any to zip over my calves, I have extremely muscular calves, which is good, but can never find boots! I always just buy seven jeans, they're always long enough.

MissAlyss
01-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I too have to lose at least 15 pounds before I go down a size - I carry all of my weight in my arms/belly/hips so it takes awhile to see results. Hopefully we'll be seeing those soon though.. Yay for tall chicks though, I'm sad how often I encounter other tall girls who say "I hate being tall!", because I Love it!! We can reach our own things on the store shelves, thank you very much!

la3y_un1c0rn_37
01-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Ok I am 5'10" and 3/4 and no one thinks I weigh as much as I do....As for clothes I hate my weight 22w I dont know what the w stands for(wide....lol)I dont want to have to stay with the big clothes.....

aksuzyq
01-03-2008, 11:32 PM
One of my girlfriends a few years ago went out shopping for a new pair of shorts. Now, she's not a shopper, really wasn't sure what size she needed, but went out to WalMart to get a basic pair of shorts. She called me when she got back, all excited, because she bought a pair of shorts, 24 waist, and they were baggy! I said "what does the tag say?" and she said again, 24W. To which I just had to laugh at her. And tell her the W is not "waist", it's "womens". It's still the big joke between the two of us. Whenever we have to buy a pair of jeans, or shorts, it's always 14 waist, or 16 waist.

JayEll
01-04-2008, 06:33 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay

BrandNewJen
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I think I'm the tallest! YAY! 6'1" here. I'm 302 lbs right now (the start of my weight loss journey) and am in a 22/24 (22 pants).

I LOVE being tall... and I can't wait to be THINNER and tall b/c of all the new clothing choices out there. The worst thing about being tall is being FAT and tall... apparently, clothes stores don't realize that fat girls CAN be tall people too.

I hate shopping... the ONLY place I can find good-fitting pants (and even then, they're not "quite" tall enough) is Lane Bryant. I thank GOD for 3/4 length shirts, b/c I have yet to find a career button-up longsleeve shirt that I didn't have to roll the sleeves on because the sleeve didn't reach my wrist! I have large breasts, a long torso... and a ton of shirts fall much too short on me. It's awful.

So I will be glad when I lose the weight and have more choices of where to shop than just ONE store.

But yes, I agree---- being tall and broad helped me carry my weight and hide it better than other people. But, obviously, that's just the way it is. Even if I got SKINNY I would still be wearing queen size stockings b/c I'm just so tall. Even in a size 12 I was 200 pounds. I'm a large and tall woman. So I don't ever tell anyone my weight (except for you lovely ladies) b/c most people just hear a number and they don't take into account how much 6'1" worth of bones and body structure weighs!

Tharmony
01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
BrandNewJen, I think you are the tallest one to check in (so far). Congratulations and, could you reach something for me? ;)

While I was a 24 and 22 Lane Bryant was pretty much the only place I could find that had tall pants in my size, but I had to deal with everything else being cut wrong for me. I felt like it was a really big deal when I got to be a size 20 because that was the uppermost size available from otherwise tall friendly stores. My big vanity reward for getting into those sizes was a full length coat that really does make it to my wrists and ankles. I still love it even though it's getting to be big on me. When I've gone down another size I think I'll probably have it tailored.

Louie
01-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Hello fellow tall chicks :wave:

Jen - I totally agree with you on the "tall fat girl" comment !! The few plus size stores that we have here carry an over abundance of petite clothes, but think you can find a pair of pants longer than 32"... NOT. Very frustrating.

Tharmony
01-06-2008, 10:47 AM
I've noticed that petites seem to get a much greater selection in department stores too. It's frustrating when I'm shopping someplace new and pick something up that I think is cute only to discover that I've inadvertently wandered into petite town. Those lucky little ladies get their own section! It's not as extensive as Misses but seems larger (and way more stylish) than Women's. All three are better than shuffling through mounds of jeans hunting for an elusive "T" following your magic number.

Like most of the chicks here, I really do like being tall. I just accept that I have to take the good with the bad. One specific bad is that shopping sucks. Being plus sized was going to give me an aversion to it anyway, but requiring a seemingly impossible inseam makes matters worse. I'm hoping that hating shopping builds character and that I've ended up less materialistic than the kinds of girls that treat retail endeavors like a sport.

BrokenButterfly
01-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Hello fellow Tall gals :) I am 6'2. Actually, closer to 6'3, but I dont mind rounding down :lol:

I have lots of weight to lose, thats for sure. But you know one thing I HATE? Is that people tell me.."My god, if you could just lose the weight..you have the height, you have the blonde hair..you can be a model!" Meh. Another thing I hate is that..I have a hard time with shoes..no stores in town carry past an 11, and that does not go near me :(

But other than that, I love my height. I constantly think about what I'd look like if I was short and weigh what I weigh now..and the height factor really is the saving grace sometimes.

onmywayhalfofmein08
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Man, I feel like a shrimp! I am 5'8" and love being taller as well. (Although its really annoying that my teenagers are taller than me!) I too struggle with the same problems as most have mentioned, especially finding pants that are long enough. Most of my height is in my legs, so even when I find ones that fit my hips, the legs are too short. Plus, I have a small waist, so when they fit my hips, they gape at the waist! Ah, to have the funds for custom made clothes! My biggest fear with losing weight is that I will [U]still[U] have problems finding pants that fit even when I am smaller! I also have to lose quite a bit before changing sizes. Right now I am 302 lbs and in a 24. I lost 40 lbs. last year and was only in a tight 20.
Let's hear it for being tall! :carrot:

valpal23
01-06-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm 5'10" but I have short legs and a long torso... my height has definitly allowed me to be in denial about my weight in the past.

THINBYJUNE
01-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm 5'11" and I constantly am beng told I don't need to lose anymore weight. I am quick to point out they didn't notice when I gained it so I'm sure they won't notice when I lose it. The height does have it's advantages but shoe and jean shopping is a nightmare.

BrandNewJen
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Dawn---- you really want to be 150 pounds? Wow... that's good for you. Will 150 make you "skinny"? I would imagine it would... my "ideal" is 180... and I'm shooting for 215 b/c that's where I was "fluffy" but comfortable in a 12/14....

I can't imagine being ANOTHER 35 pounds lighter than 215... good for you though... I won't know if I want to keep going until I get there, right?

aksuzyq
01-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Jen

My sister is 6'. Her body likes to be at 200. She can diet and get to 200#, and that's where she seems to stall. It puts her in a tight 12, 14 pants, and she looks good. She's your typical Norwegian farm girl, broad shouldered and healthy looking. When she gets below 180, she starts to look gaunt and sickly.

I think the mirror and your health also affect where you want to go with your weight too. The older I get, the more I notice my friends who are too thin LOOK older.

GinaXOXO
01-09-2008, 06:19 PM
I am 5'10 and I am not sure if I can say that I carry it well right now or that it is in all the right places. I am a size 14 and need to lose so they fit better--I refuse to go up a size. Anyway, I look best at a size 10 and 165-170 pounds. I am 40 now. When I was in my 20's and 30's I was normally a size 8/10 and was able to keep my weight at 150 (with some work and exercise).

I am too big right now but even if I got down to a 12 I think I look pretty good (about 175).

Gina

das schoenes leben
02-12-2008, 02:06 PM
also glad i found this thread.

i'm 6' and around 160 at the moment. i'm DEFINITELY not fat but feel my best when i'm around 155 (i have a very small frame).

i'm around a size 8 now...it does take me about ten pounds to drop a size.

valpal23
02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Has anyone else noticed that being tall lets you wear a smaller size at a higher weight than average?

I'm in a size 16 shirt and 18 pant right now... I really didnt think I'd be done with the 'size 20+s' by 250 pounds.

gastronome
02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Drats, I feel short in this thread! Everywhere I go though, I'm like the tallest woman, so I don't know where you all are hiding or if I just shop where the shorter people do? Well, I'm on the shorter end of being tall I guess... 5'8, but it really does hide extra weight better. Most people couldn't even notice that I gained weight after my pregnancy. But then again they couldn't tell I lost it either, which is really REALLY annoying. Anyway, I guess that's the good and the bad of being tall!

breathe me
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm 5'8 and I have broad shoulders when im around my friends (they are 5'5 and under) i feel a bit awkward because i'm taller than most of them. But lately i've been trying to come to terms that I will be this height no matter what so I just got to by comfortable in my own skin...or height that is

horsey
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I hadn't thought about this but it's true at 5'9 I seem to have to lose 10-15 lbs to make a difference in fit, it's just starting to happen at 167 or so lbs, I'm trying to get down to 155 or so again, when I was size 8 but this time I'm going to do some weight training because somehow 155 seemed skinny, especially my legs were thin. SO if you weight train you can add at least 3 lbs to what you "should be" I'm reading at least as muscle weights more then fat.

When I was pregnant four years ago everyone just looked at me like "wow you've gained weight but I hid the pregnancy until the end, it was winter and I had a big A line jacket. I'm in business and I just didn't want that "are you still going to run your business" thing as it requires travel - I knew I could drag one little boy along at times and I have.

I never thought about what someone said here, that when you are tall you are cursed in a way because you can hide the fat better. When I gain it's in my stomach but still if I wear a blazer or sweater that covers the buldge - which I'm losing - I don't think anyone would have had a clue that I was up to 180 even last year. I remember someone at the library said I wish I was tall and thin like you, I had on DNKY jeans and a blazer and it did the trick! I told her I was overweight and she humphed. But 180 is heavy for me and that blob of fat isn't healthy, dr's say it's the worst place to gain.

So here I go, 10 more lbs hopefully in the next few months - and it's true you know, I'll go down one size, most people won't notice it that much, but I will feel better and I'll be able to wear the skinny jeans - and without a blazer to hide the FAT. By the way, as for jeans, us long legged girls can find the longer inseams at Gap, DNKY, Levis, and of course the higher end designer jeans carry 34"+ (look on ebay for deals on used designer jeans like Sevens). Sometimes I get 35" inseam jeans even, but they don't exist at stores in my town...

Rhighlan86
02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm 5'7 with a long torso and shorter legs, but I love it. I generally don't look like what I weigh because of the distribution. That I think put me in denial when I was gaining the weight that I have previously lost though because I didn't really notice it.

It's great though b/c my mom is only 5'2 so if any shirts are too short for me in the arms or the torso I can give them to her and the same with pants. It seems though at my height the regular pants are perfect BEFORE I wash them and then they are highwaters. Silly clothing designers.

ETA: It's funny posting here I feel like a shortie with all you tall ladies!

shelby897
02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Okay, apparently at 5'9" I'm a shorty here too!! Question for the tall women -- do's it include large feet too? I wear a 11/12 -- wondering if anyone over 5'8" has a size 3 shoe??? :dizzy:

horsey
02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I have broad shoulders too, was worried about that when lifting weights but according to the weight training ladies on this site broad shoulders are in these days. I just don't work out my upper body as much still. I feel bigger then a lot of women because of this too. I just like being a lot thinner then this, that way I don't feel large. I loved being tall and thin, 5'9 and less then 155 is nice.

BrokenButterfly
02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Ha. I wish I had small feet. I would be a shoe-freak I think..with all the pretty shoes and boots out there. 11/12's dont really go near me.

I have a phobia about heels though. As it is with my current shoes, I'm closer to or above 6'4. I havent checked in awhile :lol: Don't get me wrong, I love my height ( with the exception of the feet size :lol: ) but..I wouldnt be able to wear HUGE heals like others do. :)

pinupdreams
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
a hugeeeee and loud applause to tall girls because we carry our weight less obvious than shortys lol. im only 5'8 but im glad im tall, makes me look like i weigh less. :)

horsey
02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Flats are great for tall people, I love the ballerinas with a thicker sole. And also kitten heels are sexy without having a tall heel. At 5'9 I don't do heels, other then maybe 2", I love clogs and they are taller then I think. I don't see how Nicole Kidman does it, runs around in heels towering over men she's with, I just CAN'T. Yes here's to tall women who don't show the fat as much, but as the nutritionist said it's also a curse as when the weight goes up it can be gradually but we might not "catch on" until it's A LOT!

JamieY
02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm about 5'10 and wear a size 9, I guess I got lucky. I wear heels when I go out, but if I'm running errands I wear flats. I wore 4 inch boots the other night and I was taller than most people at the bar, I don't care though. My cousin is 6'1, 150 lbs and is a size 8, she's goregous too.

Rhighlan86
02-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Well at 5'7 I wear a size 7, the shoe saleman at payless was amazed and said that I had small feet for a girl of my size

horsey
02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
The famous Jackie O was a size 11, did you know that, at 5'6 or 5'7... and she is to this day considered the most eloquent fashionable woman in the world with those big feet.

BrokenButterfly
02-14-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm about 5'10 and wear a size 9, I guess I got lucky..

I think you did too :) :lol:

arrrg...I am so jealous of girls with "normal" sized feet :lol:

meldogml84
02-14-2008, 02:10 PM
im 5'7 & 1/2 and I weigh 180 last time i checked. I don't think I look it but being tall has its benefits besides the obvious, being able to reach that top self without a stool. Our weight seems to flow evenly throughout our bodies so we don't appear to be "overweight". Which can be a double edged sword as well be cuase the weight can also sneek up n you faster, and is harder to get off~ so i am finding out~:carrot:

AriesBarb
02-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Well, I do feel better after reading this thread. I'm 5'10" and just lost 20 pounds and no one but ME can even tell.... sigh... must be the height......

aymster
02-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, being tall can put us in denial sometimes. And when I lose 20 pounds, I feel like it's around 5... (but... with extra weight comes extra bigger bras! LOL!)

I wear a size 10 shoe at 5'10" and feel pretty normal. I always wanted to be 6' tall, so I wear heals all the time! :D My hubby is ~6'8", so I can wear whatever I want!

It's hard to believe I used to be 125 lbs. at this height... ah, but I was young then... :beach: Anyway, I am working towards being packed with muscle, so I think being tall and having muscle will be awesome! Amazon Aymster! ;)

JayEll
02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey tall ones! I am 5' 3" and I wear a size 9 dress shoe and a size 8-1/2 running shoe. So, go figure! ;)

Jay

AngelxxRose
02-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Another tall girl here :) I am 5'10", 173 lbs., size 12 clothes, size 10 shoes. Like many of you have said, my height is both a blessing and a curse. I have to lose at least 15 lbs. to go down a dress size. I shop at New York and Company alot because they have a good assortment of tall pants (and the price is pretty good!)

aymster
02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
^^Thanks for the shopping tip!

And Jay... WOW! But when I was 5'3" (in third grade, ahem, cough.... LOL!) I wore a women's size 7 and I've heard that some women go up a shoe size after they've had children...

But ya know, I never look at the size of a woman's feet no matter what the height. My sister-in-law is 6'5.5" (yep, she's almost my husband's height) and she only wears a 13 and she's got about 8 inches on me! So, in relation to that, I don't think your feet are too big at all!

JayEll
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey Aymster! :wave:

No children, so that's not it. I wore a size 7-1/2 from the time I was 18. heh.

I figure my feet are exactly the size they are supposed to be. :)

Jay

aymster
02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Jay! Yes, I agree! We are exactly where we are meant to be... ;) Nothing wrong with that! :dance:

Oh, and fyi ladies, I just bought some workout pants at Target made by Champion for women 5'9" and taller and they're actually too long! Whodathunk? Better tell my sister-in-law! :D

horsey
02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
REALLY at Target? Are they marked TALL? I heard about these Champion pants but I didn't know one could go to a live local store and buy them...

aymster
02-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, Horsey! They're marked tall! I almost fell over! ;) :carrot:

horsey
02-20-2008, 01:41 AM
WOW... inseams for tall girls at Target, now when will other stores come up with this idea?

designerella
02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm 6'1 and to hear that they have pants I can buy off the rack outside of a Lane Bryant store is almost unbelievable :) lol

Apple Cheeks
03-03-2008, 07:50 AM
I've just found this thread and am reviving it from the dead!

I love this site, since once again I am finding that I am not alone with these niggling problems I think are unique to me!

For years I've griped that I have to lose about 20 pounds before anyone will notice. On the flip side, if I gain 20 pounds, no one notices. A double edged sword, as others have mentioned.

I'm nearly 6'2" (I am technically 6' 1 & 3/4", so I round up) and at this height in junior high I only weighed 150 pounds. But, then puberty really hit and I grew some lady berries and hips, so I'll never be that size again. Sigh.

Years ago I dieted down to about 195 pounds, and was able to maintain it for 2 years. I would have liked to have lost about 10 pounds more, but I thought I looked great and I wasn't really complaining about it. So, I am aiming to get down to 190-195 again. If I can get lower than that -- great -- But I won't berate myself if I don't.

And for you gals with big feet like me.....

I wear a size 12 shoes, and find it impossible to find anything in most stores that I'd want to buy. Shoes in my size either look like my grandma should be wearing them, or are just tennis shoes. I found a few places that have both catalogues and online shopping where I have been buying most of my shoes for the last few years:

Roaman's (not too expensive, good selection -- my favorite!)
Lane Bryant (also not too expensive, less selection though)
Massey's (big selection, very stylish, but also somewhat expensive)

Online at Zappo's they also have a lot of shoes in larger sizes, but many of them are really expensive or look like hooker shoes! :o

sjdphc
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I've just found this thread and am reviving it from the dead!

Ditto!
I just saw a thread for short women and thought I would look up a thread for tall women. Where are all the tall women at??? :) Goals for your height? I'm 5'9" and looked and felt good at 150-155lbs.

prepping
04-06-2009, 03:08 PM
*waves hand* I'm told i'm tall! :D
I didn't know this thread existed either! Thanks for resurrecting it!

I'm 6' and 183.4 lbs as of today. The lowest I've ever been in my adult life was 170 around May of last year. That is when I truely felt SLIM because although I still had hips and thighs, my love handles disappeared so I felt womanly and not pudgy. Now I also realized that I was doing it the wrong way because a 6' tall 26 yr old semi-active female can not survive long on 1000-1200 calories a day. oops. But at least I had a brief flash of a moment where I really liked what I saw in the mirror! :D

I am thinking that eating around 1500 calories (subject to change) with exercise making everything more toned that I would be knockout at 160-165 lbs. Anything beyond that is gravy. Are there any 6' ladies out there that have made it to something less than 160 and can argue that you can do it while still keeping the curves and assets??? Because I'm constantly wondering if my goals will change as I get closer. Afterall, when I was above 200 I would never have believed that I could be less than 180 -- thought I would look sick if I did. (I don't btw. ;))

Anywho, when it comes to clothing it's always been a hit or miss for me. My upper body is a medium, my lower body is a 12, and size 9.5/10 shoe.
My biggest frustration is how pants are geared towards women who are about 4-6 inches shorter than me but still wear the same size. Means that the waist is huge while the legs are crazy tight (if they even make it up all the way!). Or I'm able to get it on but it's not high enough to avoid standing up plumber butt. lol

I'd love if we had our own little community of tall (and tallish) chicks on here!

btw, I'm also somewhat of a shoe fanatic and love my 4" heels. I spend every working day in them and any night that I can get away with it. Gonna be tall anyway, might as well stomp a few villages while I'm at it. :D

DCHound
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Well, I'm not really tall enough to be considered TALL but I have enormous feet ~ size 13 (so unfair!). In addition to zappo's I like Silhouette's for larger sized shoes: http://www.silhouettes.com/Dept/Shoes/D-10000&cm_sp=hp-_-nav10.1-_-Shoes Great boots, especially.

sjdphc
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
DCHound, you're tall in my eyes! ;) You're only an inch shorter than me and I've been told I'm tall (for a woman). Thanks for the link to the shoes. I wear a 9 (on a good day 8 1/2 wide. Who am I trying to convince?!? LOL!), but I'm always down for finding a good shoe!

PreppingBride, I'm 28 y/o, 5'9" and 194 lbs :o! I think I was at 200lbs about 15 days ago. But I'm going to let myself believe that I've lost 6lbs since the beginning of my journey! LOL! I knew I shouldn't have broken out the scale until after a month like I said I was going to! I was kind of discouraged when I saw that number. My highest weight ever was 189.

Good for your on wearing your 4 inch heels! I'm jealous! I can't wear a heel to save my life. It always looks like I'm in excruciating pain! I LOVE how stilettos look, but I know it would be disasterous! I'm a wedge girl myself. :) Take a peek at www.endless.com as well for cute shoes. They go up to a size 16 shoe.

As far as clothing goes, I just want to get back in my 10s! I shop consistently at New York and Company and JCPenney. NY&Co carries Tall, Petite, and go up to a size 18 now. I have a sister who is 6'3" and she gets her jeans from NY&Co. But of course she got the 'skinny gene' and weighs like 150 lbs!

We could definitely start a support group for tall people! I don't want to hear "But you don't look big. You're just tall." ever again! LOL! Let's keep this thread alive!

prepping
04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
We could definitely start a support group for tall people! I don't want to hear "But you don't look big. You're just tall." ever again! LOL! Let's keep this thread alive!

OMG, i TOTALLY put that quote at the end of my original post as one of my pet peeves! For whatever reason I decided to delete it before posting.

Even when I was 215 lbs people were saying that I'm not big, just tall. so being close to 40 lbs overweight isn't big? Maybe it's just because they didn't see me naked. Fixed that problem!!! :D

(btw, j/k about the naked comment... i gave that up in university)

(j/k about that too) ;)

prepping
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
btw, wish I could reflect on what stores are the best for shopping but coming from Canada we don't have a lot of the same ones.

DCHound
04-06-2009, 05:21 PM
My short friends think I'm tall and my tall friends think I'm average but as far as I'm concerned I'm just average height, although on the tall end of average.

Most pants I can wear an AVG inseam, although when I was over 300 lbs I usually bought TALL just because they fit better.

The only place nearby I can buy shoes at is Payless. Several times I've been in their (very small and crappy) size 13 section while other ladies are there shopping and the others are ALWAYS over six feet. I feel like a midget compared to them! Lucky me, to only be 5'8 and have size 13 feet. I also wear men's XL gloves.

Apple Cheeks
04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Even when I was 215 lbs people were saying that I'm not big, just tall. so being close to 40 lbs overweight isn't big?

It's weird, isn't it? It's like if you're tall they don't notice the chunkage as much.

Or maybe they do, but they're afraid to say so because we all look like would could grind their bones into dust if angered! LOL! :p

xpinkglowx2
04-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I am 5'11. i feel that if i gain five pounds you cant tell because it spreads out evenly, however it takes longer to notice when i LOSE weight too. my goal weight is 160. to me, that number still seems kinda high... but i actually LOOK like im 130 when im 160. so yeah i feel being tall hels with proportions.

ringmaster
04-07-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm 5'9"... I don't get any thin or fat comments from anyone, but I don't think I look "thin". I'm an apple shape, so my legs might look thin, but I still have fat around the middle. I can grab alot of fat in my middle, so I know I need to lose some pounds.

I need to start working on putting on muscle to firm up my soft spots and changing my body composition a bit. I'm hoping at 140-150lbs I'll be thin with some muscle.

Leeesa
04-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I'm not super-tall, but I'm larger-framed and all my life people always underestimate my size, weight, girth etc. I guess because I've always been hourglass and the weight goes everywhere. But it takes ages to go down a size when I lose weight, kind of frustrating. I've always felt blessed to be on the taller side though, definitely.

Tomato
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi tall chickies,

I have to say I envy those of you who are taller than me! I am just a smidge below 5'9" and I love being tall, in spite of all the challenges the height brings (Number 1: Why are guys so short? I don't know how Nic could live with Tom Cruise all those years being taller than him. Men, to me, start at 6'2").
Finding jeans that do not look I am getting ready for flood has always been difficult, until I recently found out that The Gap carries 34" inseam jeans. I know, it may not be enough for you 6' and taller chickies, but I almost cried in relief. I don't like to pay The Gap prices for jeans but what can I do? We have a store called The Tall Girl but I almost not tall enough for them and their prices are even higher that Gap's.

I have to agree that us taller ladies carry the weight better than most shorter ladies. Even when I used to weigh than what I weigh now, people never believed how much I weighed. They would always guess at least 15-20 lbs less.
I so enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread.

Lachelle
04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Or maybe they do, but they're afraid to say so because we all look like would could grind their bones into dust if angered! LOL! :p

I think truer words were never spoken! I work with primarily men, and there's a running joke that people do what I ask them to (I'm a department manager in a home improvement store) because they're afraid of me. ;)

I'm 5'8", and consider myself on the tallish side of average. I totally agree with the double-edged sword comment. When I lost 65 pounds a couple years ago, I only went down four sizes, from 24 to 20.

Suzyszoo
04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm 5'9", not too tall, not too short. :) I've always been a little envious of my shorter friends, they all just looked so cute and little and I always felt so huge. It wasn't until I got older that I came to love being my height.

And now my kids are nice and tall - I have created MORE tall people! My 15 year old is over 6'1" now and still growing. He towers over old mom, and thinks it's the best. ;)

No-one has noticed any of my weight loss yet, and that's fine. I gain weight all over, so it will take more weight for it to be noticeable. But I know I'm losing, so that's fine with me.

xpinkglowx2
04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
im going to have to agree on the statement of guys being too short!!!!! im 5'11 AND JEEZ. i feel like a beast next to them, AND my shorter friends. everyone tells me they wish they were tall, but shopping is a nightmare for me too. however, i found a great place for jeans, They are pretty expensive... but they fit AMAZING. i bought a pair of jeans from buckle, they actually fit, EVERYWHERE. they dont sag in the but after one wash, they dont get five inches shorter either. i love them. they were about 70.00 but ive come to realize that i cant just go to kohls and get 8.00 jeans off the clearance rack if i want them to look right.

WhitePicketFences
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Well, another 5'8-er here, feeling short all of a sudden (that's a new one!) but I have to chime in that I gained weight really well and can relate to the denial. When I was steadily gaining I was 24 years old, 5'8 and still had a flat stomach into the 190+ lb range. (Unfortunately I don't have it back yet now that I'm in that range, and don't expect to for awhile ~ but, point is, I guess we all have our own 'turning point,' but it can be shockingly higher the taller you are).

People don't believe the weights because they tend to think all women weigh around 100 lbs if they look healthy. I remember back when I was a fit 145 or so, and a client (jerk) was joking with my boss and I that if he were in charge of the nearby beach, no women over 150 lbs would be allowed on it. He said it in the same conversation as complimenting us on being hot/thin/whatever. After he left, boss-lady (5'10 or so) and I looked at each other and both said ... "I wouldn't be allowed on that beach!"

sjdphc
04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Good Morning to all my Tall Chickies! I AM SO HAPPY THIS THREAD IS STILL ALIVE! LOL! 1st, may I just say thank goodness capri season is knocking at the door! No more (denim) flooding in the forecast! I can still wear average pants, but if I wear a shoe with any hint of a heel, it's a wrap!

I often find that I automatically hunch over in group photos to 'accomodate' the shorter people! Do any of you do that?!? I've been doing it since I was little! Argh!

Question: Do you find that you have to eat more calories being that you are tall?

Okay, so I've been going to the gym for over 2 weeks now, and when I look in the mirror, I think I see results. I wish the scale would show me some results! Slow and steady wins the race! :snail:

Anywho, everyone keep the posts coming! Like Tomato, I really enjoy reading the posts in this thread!

xpinkglowx2
04-07-2009, 03:14 PM
yes!!!!! i also crouch or slouch or bend my knees not only in pictures, but standing next to boyfriends that are shorter, so they look as tall as me... hah

sjdphc
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Luckily my husband is 6'3" and 200+ pounds! I look proportionate standing next to him! LOL!

TheWalrus
04-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I have size 12s myself; I used to shop a lot at Zappo's, but now I do most of my shopping at Shoes.com. Just bought some totally cute pink sandals, some black patent shoes that have been getting me lots of compliments, a pair of "Walking Cradles" that are a dream to move around (and even stand in line) in, and a pair of black mule/clogs. Yes, I have a thing for shoes ;)

Clothing-wise, my biggest problem is that I have very broad shoulders -- great when I was a swimmer and a rower, not so great for fitting into coats. Shirts/sweaters usually are ok, and sometimes even good, but it's been a while since I owned a good, cute coat...

prepping
04-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow, there have been quite a few responses in here! woo hoo! :D

I just learned something shocking yesterday, I'm 5'11". I don't know how long I've thought I was 6'... for at least 6 yrs. Did i get shorter? I'm slightly disappointed. i'm wondering whether i'll get that inch back as i work out... maybe i'll be standing straighter or something. lol, here's to hoping! (doesn't matter the most considering i'm always at least 6'3" in heels.) :D

About taking pictures, I never really slouch or crouch down in pictures unless I want to be at the front and it's last minute. But even then i have to laugh when I see the pic because I'm normally blocking at least 1 or 2 ppl behind me. Their fault for being short! lol And even now I'm with my fiance who's 6'1" and I'm always wearing heels so I'm always taller in pics.

sjd, I've wondered about whether taller people should have more calories too. I saw a fitness consultant at my gym yesterday and she basically told me to throw calorie counting out the window. So I still don't have an answer! :p And wtg on being able to see a difference in the mirror! that's always awesome!

OH! I have a shocker that you ladies would probably understand... I got my body fat tested at my fitness assessment yesterday using the caliper method and found out that I am only 107 lbs lean muscle mass (anything under 100 is dangerous) and 76 lbs of fat! So where a healthy woman would be 11%-19% body fat, with exception being pregnant ladies at 20%-25%, I am a whopping 41.5%. :o Now according to the calculations, I should be aiming for 19% body fat which would have me weighing in at 144 lbs! i never thought I would ever be able to even survive in the 140s. So you can imagine my surprise. Even more surprised because I eat healthy and exercise 3 times a week. Who knew that I would be so low in muscle. Apparently one glaring problem is that I'm not eating ENOUGH and that I have to add in 2 whey protein shakes a day.

Has anyone else had this test done before??

prepping
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Good morning ladies!!! Just thought I'd peek in and say hi.

Did a spinning and yoga class last night. Feel pretty pumped (in that jello muscle kind of way).

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!!

btw, whey protein shakes? yuck. lol i'm going to drink them anyway, but i have to figure out a more tasty way of making them. :D

sjdphc
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Good morning all!

Preppingbride, I've never had that test done before. I probably would burst into tears because I know that I'm probably over 50% body fat! Good luck with those whey protein shakes. :) I tried an EAS protein bar and it was not what I expected. :barf: Maybe you could blend it with fresh fruit and a non-fat yogurt...

So, today is day 17 of consistently working out 5 days/week. I totally was not feeling an exercise session today. But I hopped my butt on the elliptical for an hour. And when I lifted the towel (because I don't like watching how much time I have left), I was surprised to see that I had done 5 miles! This is huge for me! Since I've been working out, I've been huffing and puffing and sweating bullets through these hour long battles with the elliptical. And usually when my hour is up, I've only done like 4.67 or 4.89 miles. Gotta love the Ipod for shuffling up a good workout mix for me today! Now if the scale (aka the :devil:) would just cooperate... I think I'm going to put it back in the closet until I reach a month! :)

Jacqui_D
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Ladies! I say I'm 5'8". All my friends say I'm 5'9". Maybe I just feel shorter because I grew up with 4 brothers and a dad that ranged from 6'2" to 6'6", my husband is 6' 5" and my son is 6'7" (Mom 5'6", sister 5'7"--My daughter growing up always hoped she'd be 6'1" and she turned out to be 5'4"! Somehow she got the recessive gene!) I agree that the taller you are, the easier it is to carry your weight, but it's also deceptive. If you stay off the scales for a while, it can shock you if you've been gaining!

Preppingbride, I've had the caliper test done before, back when I was in college, and it calculated my "perfect" weight as 124.8. I've never forgotten it because until 10 years ago, I yo-yo-dieted like crazy always trying to achieve or maintain it! Now I just want to get to 145, which I know is a nice healthy weight on me. 145 is where my body kept wanting to settle and I wouldn't let it! Oh, how I wish I had! Hindsight is 20-20!

prepping
04-09-2009, 11:42 AM
So I'm down another little bit for this morning. 178.2. It's a good thing I made the major mental decision to give up unhealthy ways and foods and refocus my energy on being healthy and fit... because with Easter this weekend I'm certainly going to need all the willpower i can get!! I have said no 3 times to a reese chocolate bunny that keeps on trying to hop on my desk. Instead i lived vicariously through the tastebuds of a coworker. Apparently it was reallllllly good. Strangly enough I'm perfectly happy knowing that it was good without having it for myself. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

sjd, wtg on the 3 weeks of exercise!!! i know my fiance always raves about his ipod being the best at shuffling some great music on roadtrips and whatnot. What's unfair is i'm the one that got it for him and yet there's no girly music on there for me. lol Anyway, you're doing great! keep it up! :D

Jaqui, you've got one tall family! but that's so sucky about how your daughter got short end of the stick. lol, the poor girl. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a bunch of basketball and football players for kids considering there's a good chance they'll probably be at least a few inches taller than me. And about the caliper test, it's plenty scary just because you know it's not going to be telling you anything good... but it's also fairly liberating because it gets the truth out in the open and enables you to deal with it! I'm excited for my next one in 8 weeks to show that my hard work is paying off. As long as it's a positive change for the better, think I'll frame any results for those times that i don't see any difference in the mirror. :D

Tomato
04-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I often find that I automatically hunch over in group photos to 'accomodate' the shorter people! Do any of you do that?!? I've been doing it since I was little! Argh!

Question: Do you find that you have to eat more calories being that you are tall?

Hi sjdphc,

Answer #1: NOT ANY MORE! I used to, when I was much younger but not any more! Now I stand ramrod straight and proud of my height. Actually I had to laugh, we took a team picture on Thanksgiving day last fall (when management has us play silly games instead of catching up on stuff that really needs to be done) and I had to laugh when I realized how much longer my legs were than the legs of my [shorter] colleague and she even stood on a slope! :D

Answer #2: YES. I do not count calories. Honestly, I think that I would die of starvation on 1200 calories. I can't be bothered. I refuse to diet and count calories. Instead, I eat balanced healthy diet, with lots of veggies, fruit, lean protein and complex carbs.

Preppingbride:
I never had the caliper test done, but I get weighed on a scale that is hooked up to a computer and it spits up my lean body mass etc. According to that scale, I am somewhere on 22. 4% of body fat. I would LOVE to bring it down to 19%, but I would live happily with 20%. Right now, I am not losing any weight as my cardio is on hold (plantar fasciitis) but I will hit the treadmill one day again.

megwini
04-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Everyone is saying that their height made them distribute more evenly... I think I carry my weight pretty well, but I still don't distribute evenly!
At 175 at 5'10" I had a belly... quite a belly. And definite love handles. My mom was always grabbing my stomach and begging me to lose weight.I have really skinny legs, skinny arms... skinnier face.. even now I do! It all goes to my stomach! I weighed 160 once due to moving to a foreign country (diet change I guess) and even at 160 lb at 5'10" I had a belly!!! So I'm trying first to get back to my "fat" 175 and from there try to get down to 145, and then maybe finally I'll get rid of this belly, which is obviously NOT good for my internal organs, so I can be healthier.

sjdphc
04-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Happy Good Friday, ladies!

Tomato, obviously your no calorie counting/balanced healthy diet has treated you well! I would LOVE to be at 160 right now (since we are the same height)! How long has it taken you to get this far? Sorry to hear about the plantar fasciitis. What are you able to do as far as exercise? I wish you a speedy recovery!

Megwini, I'm definitely beginning to acquire a stomach! When I was in my teens, and early 20s, I was proportionate for my height and my stomach was FLAT even though I was overweight. Now,..... umm not so much! My lower abs must have given up on me because there's bulge there! Muffin top, here I come! LOL!

So, today is definitely TGIF! I've already got my workout in for the day. This is day 19 of working out 5 days/week and eating right. Too bad it looks like rain is coming. But we need it here. I hope I can stay on track this weekend eating wise. When I'm off, I get the boredom munchies and before you know it, a whole box of Roasted Garlic Triscuits is gone! (They're really good topped with low-fat cottage cheese! :) ) Everyone have a Happy Easter weekend! :bunny2:

DCHound
04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
So today one of my coworkers who is about 5'10" and wears a size 18/20, and who's been asking me all sorts of questions about my low-carb lifestyle and giving me a lot of compliments for the last 5-6 months, asked me how much I weigh.

She was very nice about it, and I could tell she really wanted to know my high weight and how much I've lost, not to be nosy, but because she was trying to get an idea of how much she needs to lose.

I gave her all three numbers (high weight 360, lost around 100 lbs, current weight around 260 give or take)and she almost fainted.

She thought we weighed about the same, or she weighed slightly more, because she was taller than me and we wear the same size. However I outweigh her by more than 50 lbs. She is very squishy and out-of-shape. I'm really overweight of course but I also have lots of muscle and good muscle tone. And I am big-boned, with huge hands and feet, really long arms and legs, etc.

She said she thought I weighed around 200 lbs. And you know, the more I think about it, I'm actually not that much larger right now than I was the last time I weighed 200 lbs ~ I'm maybe a size or half a size larger.

I've always been surprisingly heavy for my size (being taller helps) but wonder if it's possible to have gained 40 lbs of muscle from working out for 3 months in 2004 then again for the last 2 months ~ plus from doing more lifting overall since the last time I was this size...it seems unlikely but that's the only explanation I can come up with to be this relatively "small" at this high of a weight.

Any ideas, fellow tall gals? (Do any of y'all remember the Tall Galls shoe catalogue from the 80s? It was always an exciting day when it arrived in the mail!)

prepping
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Good morning everyone! I've been doing wonderfully if i do say so myself. Ate an easter dinner yesterday where I avoided the potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, cheesy anything, bread, chocolate, cool whip, and other desserts. How's that for impressive! :D I was super exciting and got myself a second helping of vegetables. Wild woman - i know. Going to be working on my isometrics today a couple times. no spinning because i have a cold and it's hindered my ability to breath. :p Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

Megwini, It's always interesting to see how it all distributes on different bodies. Again, i carry my weight well but I'm the reverse of you. It's not in my upper body but in bum and hips. So where I'm a medium top and hoping i don't shrink any more than that, i have 44" hips. I'm aiming for 160 lbs but have no idea what I'll even look like at that point. It's an adventure! :D

sjd, mmm, triscuits. Really good with laughing cow cheese. um ya... i think the whole cracker stigma has stuck now because there's a box of stale triscuits in my cupboard. Big difference from when i was younger and they'd be gone within 2 days (because 1 day would be too obvious to others. lol) WTG on the workouts woman! just rocking it! :D

DCHound, it's kind of nice knowing that you've just inspired someone to be healthier isn't it. :) About the muscle gain... i'm not totally sure so someone can certainly correct me but I was told that you can gain muscle at a rate of about 1/4 lb a week. So gaining 40 lbs of muscle would take a considerably long time. Like I've already been going on about, caliper test baby! :D lol that clears things up!

MARELL1
04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi

I am 5 11 and yes you can carry more weight fortunately, so height is definitely a blessing as far as looks are concerned, as far as health is concerned my lower back tells me weights gotta come off.

Marell

sjdphc
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Good morning all! Hope everyone had a happy Easter!

So, back to the normal routine. I already got my workout in for the day. I helped some friends move into their new home this weekend and they both said that something was "different" about me. I'm like what in the world could it be??? They both said they noticed that I've lost weight... Well, I did wear a pair of jeans that used to be close to second skin and now they were a lil' baggy in the butt.... :)

This is day 22 of working out and eating right consistently. Is it safe to say that it's become a habit (since I'm past the 21 day mark)? :dizzy: I guess it's getting a little easier (using the term easier very loosely).

How's everyone doing????

barefootnikki
04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Hello Tall Girls! It's so awesome to see everyone :carrot:

I am 6'2" ---- for years i thought i was 6' then i was measured by my back surgeon. Seems i was taller than i thought.

Peeves --- Do you play basketball? (do i look like i'm running around alot.. i weight 270!) Finding shoes. Finding long pants.

Other than that i love it. I had a really hard time picking a target weight. I've always been a big girl but have gotten a LOT bigger in the last 15 years or so. I can vaguely remember being about 210. I was a senior in highschool. I didn't have a tummy roll then and that would be awesome to achieve again :D

I usually wear skirts so jean length isn't an issue until the short winter months here.

My thoughts are a bit scattered today. I feel like pigging out for some reason.:mad: Well, that reason would be hubby quitting smoking and he's about to do me in with his withdrawls. I'm staying strong though :dizzy:

I hope this thread stays active. Speaking of active, i would love to start working out but can't find the motivation yet. Wish me luck with that!

prepping
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm doing pretty okay today. Had a great weekend where I didn't do badly with eating. I'll be heading to the gym tonight for my 2nd personal training session and am interested in the next bizarre thing she comes up with for me. lol, j/k.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Welcome Mirell1 & barefootnikki!!!

Mirell, i don't know your stats but I found that when it comes to lower back pain it helps huge to develop your core and back muscles so that everything is held in place properly plus I go to the chiropractor. No pains!

barefootnikki I hear you on the basketball question. Btw, Bermuda??? wow, i'm jealous. lol

sjd, gotta love when friends are noticing!! You're doing great! I'm so looking forward to when losses become visible to my group of friends. I'm vain like that. :)

Tomato
04-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Hello ladies,
I hope you all had a nice Easter weekend. I ate quite reasonably, well aside from a certain incident with ice cream (and I am not going into details LOL).

sjdphc - thanks for the good wishes.
Answers to your questions - it took me pretty much 1 year to lose the weight but you know, I was in no rush. I am not one to set myself goals such as "I will lose X pounds by the Memorial Day". I have nothing against such goals but it is not a method that would work for me.

Exercise - ah, that sucks. I had to drop all my Zumba classes :cry::cry::cry: and of course, no running or even walking (my dogs hate me right now). So for cardio, I am doing elliptical, the Total Body setting. I am trying to ramp up the difficulty but I find it hard to do HIIT on the elliptical. Other than that, I do my usual lifting.

urockmom
04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Girls!

OK, so I am new the tall forum and just found you guys but happy to have done so! I am 5'9" now but was 5'9 1/2" for most of my life. (Where did I put that 0.5 inch?)

I think that Talls definitely have advantages/disadvantages as well as different challenges from smalls. DCHound was completely right. Talls can be within an inch of each other and be hugely different weights. I think it is particularly difficult to figure out what target weight should be because you can't really judge yourself against another Tall! Same with setting a calorie target. How can someone 8 inches shorter than I have the same calorie count? The calculators don't take your height into account at all. Maybe I should do like Tomato and give up on the calorie counting altogether.

DCHound~I am having the same issue as I am at a much smaller size at this weight then when I passed through here on the way up. I think it is because the exercise makes you leaner. :D Squishy = bigger sizes.

barefootnikki~I wish you tons of motivation for working out. It not only makes you feel good but I have found that it really helps me stop feeling bad. I had tremendous back spasms before I started working out and strengthening my back & abs. Now...gone-unless I don't workout.;)

Glad that there are other Talls out there!

DCHound
04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I have been asking various friends about that too. It doesn't seem to correlate to age, so I guess just fitness level? It is just totally weirding me out that I was an 18/20 at 210 and I am an 18/20 at 260-ish. Totally, totally, totally weird! And HOW did I put on 50 lbs of muscle? I haven't been consistently active. But hey, I ain't complaining.

megwini
04-13-2009, 10:46 PM
It's definitely got to be the squishy. I was comfortably a 16 at 175 but I can definitely still fit into a 16 at 211. I'm sure muscle affects it too, but in my case it's just the squishy. So I'll have to lose a LOT of weight before I'm not a 16 anymore. XD

DCHound
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
For me, when I lost a bunch of weight in 2003, my 16s started falling down around 190. I have some pics of me at my lowest weight. Back then I thought my clothes fit great but in retrospect everything was baggy and I should have been in a 14.

On the upside ~ my driver license pic was taken during the brief window in time I was at my smallest, blondest and cutest... :) It's literally the best picture I've ever made in my life.

sjdphc
04-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Good morning ladies! Today is day 23 of consistently working out and eating right! I almost drove straight home after work instead of going to the gym! But I ended up going anyway! Too bad my workout was subpar. I just was not feeling it today. I managed to break a sweat, but nothing like I've been doing. I guess something is better than nothing.

Barefootnikki, I totally forgot about the infamous "basketball" question! That is also one of my pet peeves! I have absolutely no hand/eye coordination whatsoever when it comes to basketball! LOL! My sister is 6'3" and is asked if she plays for the WNBA all the time! She also made a point... If someone blatantly yells out "Dang, you're tall!", would it be offensive to say "Dang, you're ugly!" or something to that nature... She hasn't done it because she has couth, but I think I would die of laughter if she ever did! Is that wrong? LOL! :) I'm sorry I don't have any advice for staying motivated as it is a daily struggle for me as well. But good luck! If I can do it, anyone can!... No, really! :)

Tomato, what about swimming as a form of exercise? I will be soooo happy once the gym up the street from me opens! It will have an indoor pool. I love water aerobics! I'll be there with my floral swimcap, one-piece swimsuit and water noodle! BTW, do you have any tips on how to get rid of back fat (since you lift)? I'm so tired of the spillage over my bra! I think I have more in the back than I do in the front! LOL!

megwini
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
sjdphcCongratulations! I'm on day 22 now! Keep up the good work!

sjdphc
04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Good morning ladies!

Thanks Megwini! You keep up the good work as well!

Day 24 for me! Today's workout was much better! I worked up a good sweat and really felt the burn while doing my upper body strength training.

Not much happening here except that the weather is crazy! It was like 80-something-degrees yesterday and today the high is going to be in the 50s! I'm going to snuggle up in my bed and watch The Biggest Loser makeover episode. Does anyone else still follow The Biggest Loser?

prepping
04-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi all!!! So where are all the tall ladies at? Things going pretty okay over here... eating and exercise is good. Been going a little nutty over wedding details but right now it's in a good way. If you had asked me anything about it around noon today I would have had a few rants ready. lol, but everything is back on track again.

Yesterday was the last Date Anniversary for the hubby and I before it's replaced by our wedding anniversary. So we spent it taking care of wedding details like cake, florist, and honeymoon shopping! :D I accidentally got a couple more bikinis which brings the count up to 8 for the trip. Now all i have to do is tone everything up so that I can strut! When I say "accidentally" it's because I wasn't looking -- i just came across a couple that were really cute and on sale. Couldn't pass them up. I also got 2 fancy tank tops, 2 tops that I wouldn't have a clue how to describe -- think 1960s, a skirt, and a t-shirt. Figured we have to get clothing for St. Lucia eventually, might as well try now before they start bringing out the fall season.

How is everyone doing?? :)

sjdphc
04-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey ladies!

Preppingbride, I bet you are so excited about your upcoming wedding! St. Lucia is going to be beautiful, I bet! Are you doing your honeymoon at the Sandals all-inclusive resort there?

xpinkglowx2
04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I LOVE the biggest loser. im obsessed. haha. my personal favorite is tara, she is so motivated and kicks everyones butt on the show! i really want her to win. I'm also a fan of Mike too! i loved the makeover show!

prepping
04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
sjd, I am super excited about everything for sure! The wedding will turn out perfectly regardless of all the stuff I seem to be going through with it right now and the honeymoon will be wonderful! We're staying at the Almond Morgan Bay Resort. We were specifically looking for an all-inclusive so that we didn't have to even think about how much we'd be spending on food and alcohol. lol. I knew with the amount that my hubby and I can drink it would definately not be cheap. It's just all coming up so fast!!!

sjdphc
04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
xpinkglowx2, I'm rooting for Tara as well! Her green dress was hot! The "blonde mom" (forgot her name but she wears pink) was also so pretty! I loved the way her husband was looking at her and she's not even done losing weight! I'm glad they sent Tara's partner (sorry I'm not good with names) home. I hope she gets that fracture fixed. I liked her red hair! Mike equals cutie! I was near tears though when his brother was crying because he wanted to lose weight with Mike and his dad. I know that they'll be able to share a ton of tips with him when they leave the ranch. Off topic, but I wonder when Project Runway is coming back? I love me some Tim Gunn (Make it WURK!!!

Preppingbride, my hubby and I are going to Jamaica (all-inclusive resort) later this year and that's another reason why I must lose this weight! I want to own 8 bikinis like you! LOL!

xpinkglowx2
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
im gona have to agree with all of those statements. lol. i LOVED lauras hair and i thought it was good for her to go home, and i LOVE mike. hes such a little cutie, his dad annoys me though,b ut looks SO much better with out a beard, and yeah i was pretty much crying for that poor kid. hes only 17! and he was like "now im the fat one.." i felt so bad.

sjdphc
04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
TGIF ladies!

Just wanted to do a quick check-in to say that I am down 3lbs today! :carrot: Finally the scale moved! Just when I threatened to toss it back into the depths of my closet! Definitely gave me motivation to keep going! Day 26 of consistently exercising and eating right! :carrot:

prepping
04-17-2009, 02:26 PM
sjd, WOO HOO!!!!! Awesome lady!!!!!! 3 lbs is a fantastic loss for the week! :D:D:D Especially because you know for sure that it's payoff for doing everything right. :) and you'll look smokin for sure when you go to Jamaica. ;) just so you know, there seems to be a lot of bikini's for sale right about now. lol

Have a wonderful day ladies!!! GORGEOUS weather over here. Makes me think that summer might actually come afterall!

sjdphc
04-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Preppingbride, I just ordered 5 bathing suits online! I hope they fit!

prepping
04-20-2009, 04:15 PM
sjd, wow 5!! wtg shopping queen! Now here's a question, were they 2 piece or 1? I found that when I was 19 yrs old I had to switch to bikini regardless of how uncomfortable I was with my body at that time only because 1 pieces were too tight on top and bottom since I was too tall for them. Anyone else have this problem?

Well it's a nasty day here with gray skies and pouring rain with crazy winds. At least the weekend was nice enough. I didn't have much of any time off because i had clients and then was doing my taxes all weekend. FuN tIMeS! I got home at 10 pm Sunday. it sucked. at least I don't have to do it for another year!

My eating has been really really good for the last week. I'll be with my trainer tonight where I'll get to inform her that I haven't done any of her exercises since last monday. oops! I've been absolutely swamped and have had zero time to go to the gym except for my spinning and yoga on Tuesday. That's going to have to change! But I'm feeling good though so that's alright. The scale is going down ever so slooooowwwly. ah well.

Lindz844
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I;m 5'9! and its been hard because everyone says "oh you look fine, why are you dieting!?" but i know that the belly has not always been there. hopefully going to lose 15 pounds... eek

sjdphc
04-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Lindz844! Good luck on losing 15lbs! I'm right along with ya! I'd LOVE to be at 172 right now! LOL!

Preppingbride, I bought a mixture. 2 one-pieces, 1 bikini, 2 mono-kinis. I didn't have that problem when I was younger because back then, I could wear a bikini! Now I'm dealing with the "girls". I'm busting out of the tops but the bottoms fit! I hope they shrink some with losing weight. I only went down in inches but not cup size the last time I lost a lot of weight...

sjdphc
04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Good morning all!

Today was awful at the gym. I was all over the place! 15 minutes on the bike, 5 minutes on the stair climber, 20 minutes on the treadmill, and about 15 minutes of lower body strength training (mainly hips and thighs)!

I'm self-diagnosing myself with knee tendonitis! My knee was killing me yesterday, so I said I was going to take it easy today. In the end, I felt worse because my workout was lackluster. I went and bought a knee brace and cold pack. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a good workout tomorrow. :(

tc41586
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi! I am 5'10" and currently weigh 195.8 lbs (as of this morning). I am starting to use some of the Biggest Loser workout DVD's (Power Sculpt, Boot Camp, Cardio Max, Weight Loss Yoga) as well as Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and a Fat Loss Kickboxing for Dummies video.

I am finishing up student teaching right now, and my job over summer will give me much more time to devote towards getting more active.

No one believes me when I tell them my weight (which is not too frequently), and I really want to get back to about 160 pounds. Do you girls have any tips that have helped you to succeed? I know that it will take a bigger weight loss in order to shrink some dress sizes. I loved my body when I was in a size 8, but my current size 14 is not doing it for me.

Good luck to everyone!!! :carrot:

NavyWife4Lyfe
04-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello to all

I'm like you TC I weigh 220 but no one believes me. I'm 5"7 but I wear a 14 as well but I would love to get back down to 150 at the least...I loked back at old pics of me when I was 145 and I looked like a bobble head... isn't that crazy how us taller ladies can weigh like 160-170 an wear a size 8. Sometime I see other women who look obviously bigger than me and they tell me how they weigh and I'm like I wish I weigh that much and then look at me like I'm full of it..lol

prepping
04-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the thread tc & Navywife!!!

How's everyone else doing?

tc, tips for success? eat healthy, eat enough but not too much, exercise using resistance training, and keep at it!!! (I'm still working on the "keep at it" part)

Navy, I have learned to not bother comparing myself to anyone shorter than me when looking at weight. I get super motivated when I know women who are 5'11" and taller who are in good shape. It gives me something to strive for because otherwise I'm completely at a loss as to what I should look like. I've known 2 ladies that I always refer back to in my own mind. Both absolutely gorgeous with huge boobs, small waist, and long lean legs. One is 6'1" at 155 lbs and the other is 6'2" at 160 lbs. So if I'm 5'11" then I can make a reasonable assumption that I could get down to 160ish and still have some more to go beyond that. it's such a head game. :dizzy:

PammyFl
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey girls! Finally people I can relate to. Im 5''11 and wear a size 12 shoe!!!! Ive always been tall since i was a little girl which is a good and bad thing. I hate the fact that im never going to be the typical 130lb female. Us tall girls can carry alot more weight then other people and most dont even realize we weigh what we do. Ive always hated that my sisters weighed less than me even though im smaller!!! I have the hardest time finding clothes that fit me because of my long arms/legs how do you girls manage?

Jacqui_D
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
OMG yes, clothing to fit long arms and long legs! I have a very short waist and long legs, and I am amazed at how clothing is made. It seems that if you are a bigger size, they assume you must be short, because surely all tall people are thin, right? Hmph! I have needed an 18 tall and although I could find an 18 medium and an 18 short, I had the hardest time finding an 18 tall. (And yet size 8 had plenty of talls, because again, tall people are thin, right?)! Now that I wear a size 16, I'm having a little better luck, but tell me, how does that make sense? It's like people don't come in ALL shapes and sizes to clothes makers.

prepping
04-23-2009, 06:43 PM
hmmm, still haven't come anywhere close to mastering finding clothes.

I've had better luck with shirts since losing weight though. When I was 200+ I was wearing XL, in the 180-200 range I was L and anything smaller than 180 is a comfortable/tighter M in most cases. I normally don't have any problem at all with sleeves but my issue is with length because I have a long torso.

Pants on the other hand... that's a headache and a half. I just can't wait until i lose the chub on my legs because it is the most frustrating thing in the world when all the waists are too big and the thighs barely fit or the bum shows standing up plumber crack. lol Designers really do cater to shorter girls with girth. And I've learned the hard way to not try anything on unless it's at least a 34 inseam because i know it for sure won't fit otherwise. I've just avoided shopping for jeans for the last 6 months or so instead. lol

Jacqui_D
04-23-2009, 07:32 PM
My problem with blouses is sometimes the length, but mostly the arm width. I am not large enough all over to go into plus size clothing and yet my arms obviously are! I don't like very short sleeves because I don't like to show my arms off, and yet if I get a blouse that fits me around the chest and waist, the arms are usually too tight! Argh!

TheWalrus
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
I've had good luck with some tops I bought from Alight.com, with stretchy but nice pants from Vikki Vi, and with size 12 shoes from Shoes.com and Zappos.com :)

Forgot to add that I also like Eddie Bauer for Ts, etc. Love their sale section!

Starbuck
04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Ive found it really hard dieting in the past because im quite tall.

Whenever ive lost a bit of weight everyone always says "oh you look great" and when I say "well I've still got another 80lbs to lose" they don't believe me.
Everyone says "theres no way you could lose that amount, you'd waste away" but I don't think they realise just how heavy I am.

My husband always says that I don't look as heavy as I say I am. I suppose I should be happy I don't look 280lbs, but I know that I am.

I've decided this time just to get on with the weightloss, and not tell anyone how much I actually need to lose.

DCHound
04-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Starbuck, I sympathize. I don't really look like I need to lose another 100 lbs but I definitely do.

xpinkglowx2
04-25-2009, 05:27 PM
i agree. i told my mom i was planning on losing another 30 pounds and shes like "30 MORE POUNDS YOU COULD BE A SUPER MODEL!" im like... uh.. lol i will still be 160... im pretty sure super model isnt gona happen"

Starbuck
04-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys! It's great having somewhere to vent where people understand.;)

MrsDouger07
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello ladies!

I'm 6ft tall, and have the same issues with shopping AND losing weight. I can never find clothes long enough, espically shirts. And since I am a plus size...the shirts are always too wide and too short.

I digress.

sjdphc
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Good morning ladies. I totally agree with some of the earlier posts. I want/need to lose another 39lbs and if I tell someone that, the response is "you'll look sick" or "there won't be anything left"! Um, no I won't and yes there will be! "You'll look sick"?!? Thanks for the encouragement! LOL!

I am happy to report that I'm in the 180s. 189 to be exact, but in the 180s nonetheless! 21lbs to go until I have a "normal" BMI for my height.... :o

P.S. I'm glad to see that this thread is still surviving! Keep it going!

Tomato
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Aloha, ladies!

I have been missing in action the last few days (or weeks?!?). I am really busy and I always put the 'catching up' on hold.

Anyway ... I am glad that we're talking about clothes and it seems to me that no matter what length or width you are, there will always be issues.
Here is an example: My current jeans are getting loose. I am not sure if I am good enough for one size down, but I would like to at least try. On Saturday, I went to Tall Girl. Their inseam (on all jeans) is 37" which is a tad too long for me, but hey - "have sewing machine, will travel!". I can take care of that.
I could not find anything smaller than size 8. I tried 3 different pairs on (different brands and different styles) and all three were too big for me. So I go to talk to the sales lady and she tells me all their jeans START AT SIZE 8!!!

I am thinking, WTF??? Are you telling me that there is nobody who is smaller than size 8" even though taller than me? I find it hard to believe. So, there you have it. No matter what size you are, it is still difficult.
So now I will go to The Gap, I will buy size 2 jeans (same style that I am wearing right now, which I love - I think it's the "Essential" style) and my ego will be happy.

Jacqui_D
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Sjd, congrats on the 180s!!! :carrot: Good for you!!

Tomato, yes, I suppose that's true--no matter your size and depending on the store, all women will have trouble finding that perfect fit at one time or another! I do think that we long-legged women get more than our fair share, however, lol! I must say though, if I had the choice, I wouldn't give up these long legs for anything! :)

prepping
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
wow, a 37" inseam? that's pretty friggin tall! Considering I'm 5'11" and have an inseam of about 33/34" I feel like I have disproportionately short legs. lol
I have a really long torso though so I guess that's where my height is.

There are certainly ladies that are 6'+ and smaller than a size 8 for sure. I've come across quite a few places that have pants that are made for those type of supermodel legs. Parasuco, Guess, and other more upscale labels (of which I have no idea what their names are) tend to cater to the skinny/tall variety. The jeans are super expensive but they can make a bum look good. lol. I've been getting lucky with American Eagle lately. Was able to find a tall boot cut size 12 that looks good and fits well.

Eia Wa
04-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi, I'm new to this group and glad I found it. MrsDouger07, I totally agree with your post. At 5'11" I can never seem to find long enough sleeves! And it goes without saying that 34" inseams, in pants that fit comfortably (and are not too fitted at the thigh) are almost impossible. Add to that, I live in rural Newfoundland and Labrador and I don't have many choices!

But to get on topic, yes, people don't think I weigh as much as I do. But when I lose 10 pounds, nobody notices.

Skinnycow
06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I've lost over 20 lbs and only a couple of people have noticed. I finally went down a size. It's kind of discouraging that I'll have to lose another 20 lbs before I can get into the next size down.

CLCSC145
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello to the tall girls! I'm 6 ft and can so identify with your earlier posts. The needing to lose at least 20+ pounds to change a size, the trouble finding clothes (gotta love the size charts in some catalogs that say their plus size women's clothes are for women up to 5'7". ACK!) Personally I'm very long torsoed so I have much more trouble finding a long enough shirt with long arms than I do finding pants (my inseam is a hair over 32").

The thing I have the MOST trouble with is bras. Conventional measuring for bras says that you measure around the rib cage under the "girls" and add 5" to get a band size. I can't understand why so many bra makers stop at a 38 band! That means a 33" rib cage. My bare skeleton isn't even going to have a 33" rib cage! And the fact that I am between an A and a B cup means that "full figured" bras are out of the question for me as those rarely start lower than C. Some days I wish I was a bra burner and could just go commando...

Shoes for me are okay. I wear a 10, though 10's fit a lot better when I'm thin than when I'm fat.

As for how much I look like I weigh, my friend who is a doctor recently guessed 220. I couldn't believe it as I weight almost 100 pounds more than that. She thought perhaps my scale was off. Uh, thank you, but sadly, no!

Thyme
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
The thing I have the MOST trouble with is bras.

Wow do I agree and sympathise. I got myself properly measured to find out what my ideal bra size is: 40B/42B depending on the brand. I have quite frankly refused to move from my normal 38B solely because the only bras that come in 40 automatically assume you're either very well endowed DD etc. or that you have no need to own pretty underwear and so only provide thick strapped, ugly white/black monstrosities - "no one wearing 40B would want to wear colours, that would be mad!". Stupid bra companies :p

BellaDiva
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
One of my big motivating factors for me has been that I have always been good at hiding my weight until now, there is just too much of it and it is really pushing me to lose it.

Wow do I agree and sympathise. I got myself properly measured to find out what my ideal bra size is: 40B/42B depending on the brand. I have quite frankly refused to move from my normal 38B solely because the only bras that come in 40 automatically assume you're either very well endowed DD etc. or that you have no need to own pretty underwear and so only provide thick strapped, ugly white/black monstrosities - "no one wearing 40B would want to wear colours, that would be mad!". Stupid bra companies
Totally agree! I would kill for some cute underwear but apparently big girls can't wear colors.

Windchime
06-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Totally agree! I would kill for some cute underwear but apparently big girls can't wear colors.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? I can finally get into my bikini panties that I bought last time I was slimm(er), so that's a relief to get away from the big white granny panties that the manufacturers assume that we bigger girls must just LOVE.

I also have trouble with bras, but mine is kind of in the opposite direction. My band size is now a 36; good luck finding a "G" cup in THAT! I have to drive to Seattle to buy a flippin' bra! Now that I have a brand/style that I like, I can buy them online but geez.

And don't even get me started on the "full figure" sports bras that stop at a D cup. Puh-leeze!

megwini
07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey, all tall girls! I had a question that's nagged at me for quite some time now.... and it's about a more realistic pant size for someone of our height.
I KNOW everyone is built different, blah blah blah. But I think when you hear from more people, you get more of an "average." And I think the "average" pant size for someone like us is going to be higher than of shorter girls, not because of weight, but because of height. Right? Right?
I hope. =_= I wear size 14's now at 180 and 5'10", but my 5'4" friend at 145 wears 6's. And I'm like waaaaaah even though your 145 is like my 175 you're SOOOOOOO much smaller than me. And then I feel like SOOOOOOOOO fat.
And I just don't think I can do that anymore. I don't have any tall female friends in real life. I just don't. Oh well. But that also means I have no one to compare pant sizes to at varying weights. So I thought that maybe this tall thread would be a good place to do that.
So shout out, tall girls! What is your height, and what pant sizes have you worn at various weights in the past (and currently?). Maybe if we stop trying to compare ourselves to the shorter girls we won't feel so fat in our 10's or 12's or 14's even (gasp! Double digits!). I feel like if I'm any bigger than a size 6 I'd be fat... but that idea comes from the smaller girls. Maybe... it's not the same. Maybe they look good at a 6 but I COULD look skinny at a 10, or even a 12. I just can't compare myself to them anymore. So here is my info, now maybe some of you can give yours as well! :D

Me:
5'10"
160 lbs size 12
175 lbs size 14

Moralia
07-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Well at 5'7 I wear a size 7, the shoe saleman at payless was amazed and said that I had small feet for a girl of my size

I'm 5'8" and wear a sz.7 too.. I have a very small frame too, so they 'suit' me..

I feel short in here though! LOL!! And i'm the tallest out of 98% of my friends.. but I do like my height!!

CLCSC145
07-23-2009, 03:07 PM
So shout out, tall girls! What is your height, and what pant sizes have you worn at various weights in the past (and currently?).

At my lowest weight as an adult, 166, I wore a size 12 and I'm 6 ft tall. Right now at 277, I wear a 22. :mad:

nooch
07-23-2009, 04:11 PM
I am 5'10 and wearing a 24 at 308. I was an 18 or 20 at 280, and a 14/16 at 220. Those are the only size/weight combinations that I remember. Also, at 220 I had not yet reached my full height - I was about 5'8.

I have a super-long torso and stumpy legs though, so I can occasionally get away with not buying tall jeans. But tops are never long enough!

ladyrider72472
07-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I am 5'10 (and a half) and teetering in the 190s. I wear a 14.... or 15 in "juniors". I can fit in a 12 but they are not public ready yet.

But, while I was at boot camp the other day my former WW leader reminded me that while I was griping about my weight being so "high" and how I still had 20 pounds to lose to reach the highest acceptable weight for the "medical chart-- normal sizing" that you must also take into consideration your age. Which made me feel a little better.

Also, with all the other tall ladies, at my highest of 268 No one ever guessed I weighed that much. I was in a very tight 20--- needing to be a 22. So we all carry it different.

Cali Doll
07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Me:
5'10"
160 lbs size 12
175 lbs size 14

5'8"
191 lbs Size 14

Cali Doll
07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
I can fit in a 12 but they are not public ready yet.

LOL! Ditto! :o

MontanaAshli
07-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I think my height, my gentics, and the clothes i buy all have serious impact on what weight I look like. My mom carries her weight very well- as does my sister, and so do I. I'm the tallest out of the three of us. And I have a mental checklist for when i'm trying clothes on- I check on shirts if you can see my stomach under the shirt; like an outline of flab!! I check if you can see the nasty back rolls alot. On pants i make sure that the fabric doesn't show thigh cellulite. I guess i'm very picky.. ahha! But I still find clothes that arent grandma-style or like potato bags!

I always get told that I can't be over like 210. I think, "HAHA!"

caliyah
07-26-2009, 04:33 AM
omg i totally relate to this thread. i lost like 25lbs and i have gone down like 1 size. it really is frustrating!

seagirl
07-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi ladies!

I'm 5'8" have have lost 10 pounds and toned up quite a bit and not one person has noticed. I haven't even been able to buy new clothes yet, although my current ones are sagging a bit.

I'm wearing 12's in most things, 14 in some "fashionable" labels, and I have a pair of size 10 Banana Republic jeans I'm waiting to fit into. At my goal of 150 or 145 I generally fit into an 8 I think. My biggest problem is my chest, which is D or DD so shirts are hard to find, but should get better as I lose weight.

I became a fan of "bracelet length" shirts when I was younger and none of the sleeves were long enough. That's what my mom told me they were, so I just wear a nice bracelet and pretend the sleeves are the right length. Or I wear 3/4 length sleeves.

Tomato
07-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I love 3/4 length sleeves, if only they were easier to find!
A friend of mine got a nice Tshirt from Campus Crew last week and I saw it on her on Friday. I ran to the store on Saturday to find out all those T's were gone (it was front rack sale). Grrr! I really liked the entire shirt and the 3/4 length sleeves were just the cherry on the top.
Oh well.

PiedPiper
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
My biggest problem is not sleeve length, I have freakishly short arms, but length of the shirt in general. No one wants or needs to see my stomach every time I lift my arms slightly. Tall shirts for men are SO easy to find. All the boys in my family have them. Why don't they make them for us ladies?

shasha17a
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Just found this thread! I'm 6'1 and currently at 252 lbs. At my best, I was around 177 and I really liked the way I looked. Its funny because even at my lowest weight, I'm still going to weigh a lot more than many of my shorter friends who are between 115-150.

ladyrider72472
08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
shasha17a, I am with you. I remember looking back into my early 20s when I looked my best as an adult and I was in my 170s...... that is a healthy weight for me and I long to get there again. I will always be bigger than most women, but I am coming to terms with that.

sharongracepjs
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Glad to finally find a tall-girl gathering place!

I haven't read the entire preceding thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed...

How do you ladies handle the well-intentioned passive discouragement when people say, "oh, no way do you need to lose that much weight!" I know I didn't look like I had as much weight to get rid of, because I'm tall and carry it so well. And obviously, it's nice to hear that you don't look as fat as you are...but I don't want to be tempted with the compliment as an excuse to slack off, or for my hard work and accomplishments diminished as needless. Not to mention that I covet the whole-hearted support of these friends, rather than being dismissed!

Anyone relate to this? I'm interested in hearing a) how you respond verbally to that comment and b) how you respond in your own mind game.

TALL POWER! :D

shasha17a
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Sharon, its funny you mention that. A couple of the gals I work with are about 5'5 or 5'6 and I think they weigh around between 180-200 from the few times they have hinted about it. Weight comes up a lot in our conversation and I've mentioned that I need to lose over 50lbs, but they never take me seriously. I think I would say something like "Thats so nice of you to say that I don't look like xxx lbs. But I do feel like I need to lose some weight and get healthier" Do you have pics of yourself from when you were at your ideal weight? I would keep looking at those so you don't get derailed by the comments of "oh no way do you weigh that much"

DCHound
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
If there's a Costco near you they have great designer shirts/blouses, and most have 3/4th length sleeves. Not a huge selection, but several. They do not come in plus sizes though, S-M-L-XL and the very rare XXL. I'm only 5'8 but I carry my weight like I'm taller, and XLs (equivalent to a 14/16) fit me very well.

salsa chip
08-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Logging in at 5' 10" over here :)

chickiegirl
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I will always be bigger than most women, but I am coming to terms with that.

I love reading all these familiar stories! Have to be there to really get the issues with this subject.

You know, the lowest I've ever been as an adult would be maybe 168-9 (for like, a day or two maybe, early 170s may have held longer -- it's been so long) and I was a size 12.

Ladyrider, I don't even think about myself as being "bigger" than other women anymore. I just want to be in proportion. And I will say, when I was thin before, I was just like a lot of other girls. Blond, thin, blah, blah ... but what really made me stand out was my height.

So bigger, yes, but any less in proportion, no. A 12 for me is going to be as great as a 6 for others and I'm OK with that.

Judy Lynn
08-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I can't even imagine what I would look like in a size 12. I know I would have a big :D on my face. Seriously, even when I get down to 175 I hope to be a size 16.

Anyway, I'm glad to see so many tall girls on 3FC. In real life there hardly seems to be any women around my height.

Cali Doll
08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
omg i totally relate to this thread. i lost like 25lbs and i have gone down like 1 size. it really is frustrating!

I can relate!! I had lost about the same as you and only gone down one size (from 18 to 16). I fit all of my 16s just fine so I *assumed* I didn't fit 14s. Then one day I went to the store to buy a few 14s (as inspiration pants) and they slid very easily over my hips. It was a total suprise to me! I did a double-take at the tag and, yup, it still said "14".

Now, I've lost a few more pounds (not even 10 lbs) and I am fitting into my 12s. So, don't fret too much. It'll happen faster than you know it. I'd suggest you go to the store and try on several pants in the smaller size. You might be suprised!

megwini
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
DON'T FEEL BAD! I lost 39 pounds.. I started out as a 14 and now I'm just BARELY a 12. 14's are way too big but 12's are still kinda tight but liveable. So I lost FORTY pounds and only went down a size.. and that 40 pounds brought me from just barely obese to just barely normal weight. I carry all my weight in my stomach, and I lost everywhere else instead up to now, so I didn't change sizes much. I think the smaller you get the faster you change though!

salsa chip
08-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Does your height affect any problems you might have with flabby skin after having lost weight?

Cali Doll
08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I think the smaller you get the faster you change though!

Most definitely! I can even squeeze into 10s...but, they aren't ready for public view yet. LOL!

shasha17a
08-11-2009, 11:32 AM
DON'T FEEL BAD! I lost 39 pounds.. I started out as a 14 and now I'm just BARELY a 12. 14's are way too big but 12's are still kinda tight but liveable. So I lost FORTY pounds and only went down a size.. and that 40 pounds brought me from just barely obese to just barely normal weight. I carry all my weight in my stomach, and I lost everywhere else instead up to now, so I didn't change sizes much. I think the smaller you get the faster you change though!

Tell me about it! I know that at my goal weight of 175, I will be a size 10. While thats fine with me, right now I teeter between 14's and 16's (well mostly 16's). I still have about 75 lbs to lose and it kinda bums me out that it will only result in 3 sizes. But I know that not all tall girls have the same body. My best friend is 6'2 and shes really skinny at around 145-150. I highly doubt I could get my body to that weight as I have lots of curves.

sharongracepjs
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the advice, shasha! (and funny note..."Sha-Sha" was my nickname when I was a bitty little girl!

Hotsplashes
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Hello Ladies,

I'm 5'9 (used to be 5'10 but a compressed spine has made me shorter) and have been a size 6 at 140 and size 10 at 130 and a size 12 at 180. But for me.. it all depends on how in shape I am, and what brand/designer I am wearing. I will always love Calvin Klien? because he always makes his sizes soo much smaller on the tag than they really are.

I wish there was a "Universal Size Chart" that ALL designers and manufacturers were abided to go by. It should be mandatory. Then we would all know our TRUE sizes and not be discouraged when we are a 10 at one store and a 14 at another store!

And what's with this Odd/Even sizing? One rack you are looking sizes 8, 10, 12, 14, 16... the rack beside it.. 9, 11, 13, 15.... What is with that???? And Euro sizes as opposed to USA/Canada Sizing?? And they keep forgetting about China Sizing, Mexico Sizing, Taiwan Sizing... Sorry.. a USA size 12 isn't even CLOSE to a Made In China 12....

OK..off my Size Rant soapbox!! Thanks for the Tall Girls Thread..I am not alone!!!

DivineFidelity
08-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone =D

haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm a little behind...

so I'm somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9"...probably a lot closer to 5'9"...and My highest weight was 245...and I was a tight size 20. Now I'm 231 and a slightly looser size 20...lol. I know when I left for college last year thought I was 200 and in a loose size 18, so I'm looking forward to that.

I have no idea what sizes I'll be when I'm smaller. I haven't been anything smaller then like an 18 since freshman year in high school. I just found a pair of my favorite jeans from 7th grade that I had lost and couldn't find ever again...and it was a size 15. I was a juniors 15 in 7th grade...although I have no idea how much i weighed...

That's just depressing. It makes me wonder how different my life would have been if I hadn't always been "the fat girl"...

at my goal weight, I'm HOPING for a size 10, but I don't know how well that will work out because I have huge hips and i'm big boned. I do think I'll have quite the nice hourglass figure though once I can get rid of all this fat that's hiding it...because I have a very long torso..and even now, my bust is like 45 inches...my waist is like 36 inches...and my hips are like 47 inches...and thats with belly fat and all. I'm excited to see what I'm going to look like as a mature woman at a normal BMI....because that is something I have NEVER seen before.

=D

Hotsplashes
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Ate soooo good today! And Dr. BF took away my potatoes. He took me for Greek food... so I had Chicken Souvlaki but it comes with a huge order of rice and potatoes. So I got ot eat one potato and I could only finish half the rice because I had a big greek salad before that.

Does any find that being as tall as you are, alot of people don't believe you when you tell them how much you weigh? I carry my weight evenly... I don't gain in any one spot.. just all over. SO when i say i weigh nearly 200lbs... people don't believe me..they think 160 to 170... makes me kinda feel good.

But I am MUCH happier when I am 140 or 150 and they think I weigh 120 to 130....

DivineFidelity
08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
yeah...I know exactly what you mean. people always think I'm lighter then I am...I DON'T see it...to me I look heavier then I am, but I guess no one is good at judging themselves. People always think i'm like 20 lbs lighter then I am...but at the same time, then they're like "why do you think you need to lose so much weight? you don't need to lose 60 more lbs, you need to lose more like 40!"....and that's not what I want. It's really frustrating to try and explain it to people. =/

kimberleyanddarren
08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I am 5'11 and find i do carry my weight better than some women, for example my mother is alot shorter than me and while she weighs a lot less than me if you see her she looks bigger, purely because she looks more out of proportion i guess, im not saying all shorter women carry weight badly but i certainly feel that when u are taller the weight is carried alot differently.

lapelosa
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I found this thread! I can relate so much! Definitely including people telling me there's no way I can weigh what I weigh, and that I carry my weight very well.

I keep an eye on the scale just to make sure that there's a slow continual motion down, but I'm most concerned with clothes. It was _so_ hard to find pants that fit me, especially with my height and my very wide hips -- if something was tall enough, I'd get way too much fabric at the waist -- and I discovered the Houston line of pants at Lane Bryant, and stuck to that line of pants like a security blanket. They fit, they looked good, they were a bootcut. Also, staying in the same line of pants helped me to track better when I've lost a full size.

I must say that the scale and my pants size seem to have little to do with each other. I was wearing a Lane Bryant size 2 (regular 16) at 230 pounds. Then, one month ago, I was wearing a Lane Bryant size 1 (size 14) at 230 pounds. Now those Lane Bryant size one pants are getting looser and looser, and it might not be long before they become too loose for me to wear. Which will force me out into the real world of pants -- no more Lane Bryant for me! I feel both delight and panic at the prospect. I'm afraid of what's out there.

zanni
08-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Everyone is shocked when I tell them that at my highest weight I was almost 350 and that I am still nearly 300 now. At 294 I am a 22 in pants and an 18/20 in tops. I know people who are 200 and wear 18/20 tops. It's weird. I estimate that when I'm at 200 I'll be in a 12 or 14.

Hotsplashes
08-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Devine Fidelity, I hear you about the people saying.. YOu look fine. You dont' need to lose more weight/that much weight. They are not the ones carrying it around! What I DO find annoying.... the friends who have also put on weight, and DO NOT want YOU to lose it. THey want you to stay overweight and out of shape with them. And when you start to lose weight, they get upset with you. It's happening right now as we speak. **SIgh*** I know I am going to be losing some very dear friends in the near future.

Kimberly.. I totally agree with you. Some people just carry weight better than others no matter how tall or how short they are. My sister is only 4'7 and looks fit and buff at 130lbs. But her bone structure is big and she has wide shoulders and hips. When she gets down to 120 she starts looking skeletal. Her mother (we have same dad) is 5'1 and at 140 looks very hefty. But she has a different skeletal structure and carries the extra weight all around her middle.

Lapelosa.. Sounds like your body is reshaping itself or Lane Bryant is changing their sizing. I used to have a favorite type of Levis. And always fit in a 30. Didn't matter if I went up or down 10lbs..they always fit. Then one day... they wouldn't go up over my butt. ANd I hadn't gained any weight. The store clerk told me they'd changed the sizing. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... THe world of real pants.. that was hilarious btw.

Zanni.. keep up the good work! As for calculating sizes.. remember 10lbs is usually one size. But then again..I've seen 20lbs equal one size depending on label. But usually it is 10lb and you go down a size! Keep up the great work!!

I'm off to my first book signing tomorrow. Not looking forward to being in the public eye at this weight. But I have committed to this. I will do it!

seagirl
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I love this thread.

I've now lost over 10 pounds and I'm still in the same size clothes (12's) and my bra size has not changed! Only difference is my pants are fitting lower on my waist.

Not one person has even commented or noticed that I've lost weight. Although last night my boyfriend's hands seemed to linger on my waist as if to say "hmm, didn't there used to be rolls here?" ;)

lapelosa
08-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Hotsplashes: I AM afraid of the Real World of Pants! I think my current plan is to wear my current Lane Bryant size 1T until they get to the point where I have to hitch them up, and _then_ I'll go shopping in regular stores and get all judged by pants. If you outshrink Lane Bryant, what's the next size down? I have no idea. What if I'm still too large for a size 12 then? And what if it's just certain size 12s? Am I not really a size 12 unless I fit into the smaller size 12s? Vanity sizing and inconsistent sizing confuses me mightily.

My body was actually reshaping itself -- I was bicycling up hills a lot, and the size 2s got looser on me, so I bought a size 1, which I could barely fit into, then they got looser on me. So apparently now I have a denser body, so that my ideal weight of 190 is actually above what the BMI chart would tell me is my ideal weight.

Congrats on the book signing! What is the book, if I may ask? I have unfulfilled dreams of being a novelist -- it's embarrassing to admit, but I imagine an author photo of me, and I want to look good in an author photo, and be out in the public eye. I want to be glamorous.... Focusing on this aspect of life first.

megwini
08-15-2009, 06:45 PM
You know... you can buy 14's in regular stores almost everywhere.... >_< I was a 14 and I always shopped in regular stores.

lapelosa
08-15-2009, 06:50 PM
I became irrationally attached to the Lane Bryant right fit series of pants, so when I got down to a size one, I just continued to stick to Lane Bryant, out of a sense of security. Especially because I got used to tracking my progress through how pants fit me, and that's harder to do if the sizing is inconsistent. Or maybe not -- if a certain pair get looser on me, that's real progress regardless.

Hotsplashes
08-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Seagirl, Welcome to the group!!!

Lapelosa, I think I have become attached to my Rikki's pants. I love this store because they make pants LONG enough for me! And I fit into the size 12's. I will be so excited when I get to the 10s!!

It's frustrating to see a pair of pants in one store, and you try them on, after trying on say a size 14 in another store... and find out that these other ones in the other store won't go on one leg and they are a 16!!!

As for the book... It's a Guide to Better Dating and a Better Life over all.. about how making the right choices can change your life. So far the reviews have been great... critics seem to like my sense of humor!lol

Start writing your book now! Write about something you know about! Imagine what you want your "Author Picture" to look like! It will be great motivation!

Hotsplashes
08-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Where is everyone????

Glamazon08
08-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Wow, I can't believe this thread exists! Can I join you?

I'm 5'10 - and 215 pounds... I have a goal of 180. People never believe what I weigh. I currently wear a 14/16 tall in pants.

So glad to see there's so many tallies!:carrot:

megwini
08-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome, Glamazon! I'm also your height and SHOULD have worn a 16 at 212. XD I kept squeezing into my old 14's anyway. 12's didn't fit me until I hit about 173. (Oh I wear tall of course... when I don't wear talls, I look like I'm attemping to wear capris but failing miserably... HAHAHAHA!). Nice to have you join us!

shasha17a
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
My pants are a lil looser today, but I doubt that its because I lost 6 lbs. Its funny, but jeans and pants stretch with us. I have some pants from gap in a size 12 that I can get into, but I bet its because I have worn them for 5 years. Ugh, I still want to lose 21lbs before I buy new clothes.

Glamazon08
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

So what is everyone doing, plan-wise? I am coming off Atkins, after being on it on and off for the last 2 years and losing roughly half my weight.

Now I am eating low gi foods, and watching calories.

I made awesome oven sweet potato fries tonight :)

Glamazon08
08-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh, and I hear you girls about the 30+ pounds before you drop a size... so annoying! I wore a 12 when I was 180 pounds long ago. I think that's the smallest size I have ever been. I looked great, though -- I wouldnt go much smaller than that. I'm pretty much built like an amazon. (hence the name, hehe)

Hotsplashes
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Hello ladies!

Welcome Glamazon!!! Good to see you here!

Sorry I've been away. 3 Dr.s appts in 2 days.. This is ridiculous. And worst of all..my weight is up.. but it's pain/stress eating. And I did really good til last nite and ended up eating tater chips..

But not a whole bag!!! WOOHOO for me.

So back OP today..

I need to write 8 more articles before deadline at midnite in between doing laundry and gardening...

Shark WorldCup this coming week. I am volunteering.. get to watch all the sailboats and hot foreign sail crews!!lol Plus lots of good food and music!

Enjoy the day ladies and I shall see you all tomorrow!

Hotsplashes
08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Happy Friday, Tall Girls!!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Where are all my Tall Girls??? Is everyone shrinking and now they don't fit into the Tall Girl's Club??

I pulled my first REAL SIZED carrot out of my garden this morning before the rain set in!!! And it's oe of my Yellow Carrots! I'm looking forward to pulling one of my Purple Ones!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

I'm back OP on eating and trying to get more exercise in.. even though it is only working in my garden or walking my dogs a bit further.

Here's a question.... Just because we are tall... Doesn't mean we have HUGE feet! Mine are a size 8. What shoe size are you???

Happy Friday LadiesS!!!!:dance::dance:

ladyrider72472
08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I am a size 11 in most shoes...... but when I lose weight some 10s fit.

Skinnycow
08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I have huge feet. Size 12. The real problem is they are super narrow. I can never find shoes that fit because 12s are always too wide and 11s are way too small.

Tomato
08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I have huge feet. Size 12. The real problem is they are super narrow. I can never find shoes that fit because 12s are always too wide and 11s are way too small.

Hah! And I always complain because all the shoes are too wide. I don't particularly like the current fashion with the shoes narrowing down to a very pointy tip but it would be nice if I could wear - if I wanted to. My feet are so wide that most shoes are a no-no for me. The problem is that all my toes sort of start at the level, they are not "staggered" like in a normal foot.
Buying new shoes is always an exercise in frustration.
My feet are not that big, I usually buy 9.5 or 10 depending on style (and I buy the bigger size because of the width, normally I would be ok with a size 9 in most shoes).

Hotsplashes - congrats on the carrots - enjoy!!!

megwini
08-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm a 10, but I have TONS of friends who are 5'6" and 5'7" that wear a 10 so I feel like I have small feet in comparison, considering I'm so much taller.

DCHound
08-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Man I WISH I wore a size 12 shoe. I am a 13. I can wear 12 wide in sandals and stuff, but closed-toe shoes are 13s. And I'm only 5'8...barely even qualify for the Tall Gals thread! LOL

stargzr
08-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I hope you all don't mind if I pop in here... I am wearing a size 14 jeans at the moment and my shoe size is 10/11. About half my shoes are 10 and the other half are 11. It would be nice if every shoe maker made half sizes that big! I think I'd wear a bonafide 10 1/2. :)

Hotsplashes
08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Ladyrider; I think my shoes will fit better when I lose weight also. I know my feet have gotten bigger with the weight gain.

Skinnycow.. and the only way you find shoes to fit is if they are $200 shoes or special order... that sucks!

Tomato!! I just picked 5 Tomatoes out of my garden this morning!lol And I LOVE salsa.. Yeah the Pointy toed shoes are a pain..I have a pair..they are a 10... size 8s and 9s I couldn't even squish into...

Megwini.. I had a college roomie.. 5'3 with size 10 shoes!! I used to tell her we could sail her shoes down the river!!lol

DChound!! Lovely Puppy! And 5'8 is tall! Average height of the North American woman is 5'5...so youa re 3" above the norm..therefore you are tall!!lol

Welcome Stargazer.. The more the Merrier!! I hear you about the 1/2 sizes.. Once you hit size 8... you don't find half sizes after that.. always one size up... it sucks...

Have a great weekend ladies!!

I have a right foot that has been mashed up by horses so many times that it's actually an 8.5... but I squish it into an 8... but now I'm finding the same thing as

Glamazon08
08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey Ladies! :cb:

I wear an 11/12 in shoes - depending on the style. I think my feet will get smaller when I lose more weight.

I think I have decided on South Beach as my plan. Just some quick background on me: I lost the first half of my weight on Atkins about 2 years ago. I have been losing and gaining the same 10 pounds ever since - due to being on plan for a month then cheating then having trouble getting back on plan... over and over.

I think South Beach is better. It isn''t so strict and it seems healthier in a lot of ways. I just want to break this cycle!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hotsplashes
08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Keep up the great work Glama, You've taken the hardest step... The FIrst One! So just keep walking, one step at a time! Yes the South Beach is much better than Atkins any day.

I am on a high protien diet due to genetic/health issues. I can have carbs.. only healthy ones like Veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole grains. It's the sugar and the proccessed carbs that are bad for me.

I wish I knew why my ticker isn't moving!!!

Glamazon08
08-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Hotsplashes! Your diet sounds a lot like the 2nd Phase in South Beach - lots of variety. I was really having a lot of trouble eating all the fat you need to eat on Atkins. You do need the fat since the carb level is so low, and even the protein level is lower than most very low carb plans. It's just hard on my stomach. I'm hoping South Beach will be more balanced.

Hotsplashes
08-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Glamazon, It's all about balance. YOu cannot deprive your body of the needed resources. The lack of one thing will create an imbalance in your body elsewhere. Good luck with the SBD! I hope you keep posting with us so we can watch your progress!

Hotsplashes
08-25-2009, 01:35 PM
OK.... so are we just shutting this thread down or what???

shasha17a
08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I still check this thread! I should probably come in and talk more though huh? hehe

Hotsplashes
08-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Hiya Ladies.. I'm still here...

giselley
08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
6-1.5" hi, I'm new and tall-ish Why are you shutting the tread down?

PammyFl
08-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Where do you ladies buy tank tops and work out tops from? I have to sift through a ton before I can find anything remotely long enough to not show my belly button!!!

Skinnycow
08-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Where do you ladies buy tank tops and work out tops from? I have to sift through a ton before I can find anything remotely long enough to not show my belly button!!!

Oldnavy.com has tall sizes

blkbarbie25
08-26-2009, 11:00 PM
im 5'10 :)
i really love being a tall girl as an adult but as a kid it was terrible

nooch
08-27-2009, 02:21 AM
Oldnavy.com has tall sizes

I was so happy when they came out with these! They are awesome!

But you have to get to the tall size shirts very quickly, they sell out super fast - there've got to be a ton of non-tall ladies just looking for longer shirts. You think they'd notice and just start making tops a bit longer!

stargzr
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm with the OldNavy suggestion for long tanks too! That's the only place I can buy tank tops, everywhere else they are just too short and come only to the top of my pants! crazy ridiculous!

TheWalrus
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Eddie Bauer has tall sizes that are actually tall...

shasha17a
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Oh I totally feel you on needing longer tops. Not only am I tall, but I have pretty big ol boobs..ugh. So a top that might look long on the hanger, rides up and shows my tummy. not cool!

Hotsplashes
08-27-2009, 04:29 PM
WOW!! Look at all the new folks!!! YAYYYYYY!!!

I agree with the OLDNavy for tank shirts... And I find Walmart carries a brand called 725 that seems to work for me.

Now what about shirts with sleeves? I have monkey arms. If I get a size that should FIT.. it fits in the body but not the arms.. so then I have to go UP a size just to get it to fit in the arms.. but it's HUGE every where else!!

Skinnycow
08-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Now what about shirts with sleeves?

Oldnavy.com has everything in tall sizes--shirts, dresses, pants, skirts, jackets, sweaters,...

I wish they would carry tall sizes in the store. I hate having to pay for shipping!

nooch
08-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't buy anything unless there is free shipping AND a code. But I am super cheap.

rainsweptviola
08-28-2009, 03:19 AM
I am so excited to see a thread just for the tall girls among us...I joined yesterday and am already loving this site! :-)

Hotsplashes
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Welcome Rainswept!

Ok Ladies.. Anyone with a goal for upcoming Sept?

I intend to be as close to 175 as possible!

salsa chip
08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm taking part in the Vixen Valentine's challenge on the 100lb board, so my goal for Sept is to lose about 8lbs :)

shasha17a
08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, I'm going to kick it in high gear and try to be 240 this month. Its so annoying, lately I see that people that weigh a lot less than me are able to lose 10 lbs in a month and I'm struggling at times to let go of like 5. So I weighed in at 250.2 today and I think I'm retaining some salt, so I will be drinking lots of water to flush that out and hop on the scale again tomorrow morning.

nooch
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
My original goal was to be 288 by Labor Day, but then I got really sick and had to kind of put that on hold.

DivineFidelity
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been reading this thread for a while, but I don't think I've actually posted anything yet...lol

I'm 5'8 and down to 222 lbs now, but I still have a ways to go...
I've loved following this thread...because I definitely understand what everyone is talking about.

Even with old navy's tall sizes, I can't wear their shirts. I have VERY short legs, so sometimes regular jeans or work out pants are too long, and I have to buy the short ones....but my torso is so long that I can BARELY find shirts long enough. Through high school I just wore hoodies all the time so that it didn't matter if my shirt was long enough, but I can't really do that anymore. My torso is so long that if I EVER want a one piece swimsuit, I have to special order it so it's long enough. It really sucks =/

I don't work out in public, just at home...when no one else is in the room....so I generally wear pj pants and undershirts....but I DO have one work out top I got at walmart (thats too short) and a couple pairs of yoga pants that I love.

Buying clothes is just miserable for me. >.<

sherrybwc
08-31-2009, 11:33 PM

Oh, to have narrow feet!

I "normally" wear a 10W shoe...have since I was about 16. I say normally because, like clothing, it depends on the brand...Italian brands, IME, run the smallest, so my Enzos are 10-1/2 regulars (but then they're like butta anyway!).

Now, let's complicate things a bit...not only do I wear a wide, but 1)my right foot is almost a half-size larger than my left, 2)I have deeeeeeeeeep arches, and 3)my 2nd toes are freakishly long (so no round toe shoes for me!).

Anyone wanna see that and raise???

:D:D:D

Sherry

ETA...

My arms are very long as well, so I don't own anything at all with long sleeves...not even a coat (but then it really doesn't get cold enough for a coat here, so...).

'K...I'm finished now.

S

Tomato
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
DCHound, I love you avatar!

Hotsplashes, enjoy your tomatoes. I have two dwindly grape tomato plants that have a total of 25 tomatoes (yes, twenty-five) - that is if they all ripen. Now don't forget those are grape tomatoes (and I am talking SMALL grapes here) LOL. So far I had 2 and they were good but in general it was barely worth buying the plants. I suck when it comes to pot gardening. I really don't have a spot that would have enough sun all day.

Hello to all newcomers! It's exciting to see more tall girls (although I myself barely make the cut). I usually complain that all the gym tank tops are too LONG - I have a shorter torso but longer legs. I just bought a ton of cotton racerback tank tops at Suzy Shier (but I don't know if that's a Canadian store only) - they usually have a sale at the end of the summer - 3 for $10. Woohoo! But I also bought the same ones 2 for $15 (earlier in the season). I like 100% cotton. Their medium size fits me like a glove and they are not too long (for me, that is).
Just the other day, I tried on a gym tank top (also racerback) at Old Navy but it was WAY too long so I guess you taller ladies should check them out. I would guess the tank top was at least 6-7" below waist? Sorry, I wasn;t paying much attention, it didnt fit me well and it was too long but otherwise I liked and would have purchased it if it fit me. I think it was $17.50 (but that's Canadian, it will be likely $10 in the States).

DCHound
09-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks! She's a sweetie.

Hotsplashes
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Welcome to all the new posters!!

And such great avatars! I love the Siamese Krazy Kittie!

The weather here is keeping my tomatoes from ripening quickly. But I am getting a few every few days.

I'm not feeling well today. Bad headache which in turns makes me nauseaus. I can never spell taht word!

sherrybwc
09-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Fresh vine-ripened tomatoes...sa-WOON!!

We weren't able to get our garden in this year...life just conspired against us!

S

sct
09-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm 5'-10" and I have a really long torso, so I also struggle with finding tops that are long enough.

One thing that bugs me to no end: You buy a tshirt thats nice and long and you wash/dry it a few times and its shrinks up to your belly button. I have to be so careful about what I put in my dryer. I end up air drying so many things so I don't have to throw them in the rag bin!

Hotsplashes
09-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Sherry, my garden is a sad little garden this year.. too cold, too wet.. only my sweet yellow peppers got anything good growing on them... the reds and greens either died, or didn't get anything. HOts are doing great though!

I have 4 types of red, 2 types of yellow, and one type of black tomato.

SCT... ALLL my good tshirts are hand washed and hung to dry!!lol Only my barn clothes get put in the dryer.

sct
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
SCT... ALLL my good tshirts are hand washed and hung to dry!!lol Only my barn clothes get put in the dryer.

You know, I just might start doing that. Sweaters too....

shasha17a
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I was at the store yesterday trying to find a dress for this weekend because I'm having a girls night out. They had a lot of dresses on maniquins which looked cute, but I tried some of them on and it was seriously a shirt on me. I think sometimes with dresses, theres a little grey area in that depending on height it can be worn either as a dress or top. Its all good though, I actually found the dress I was hoping to find.

Hotsplashes
09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Good Morning Tall Chickies!!

SCT... yeah my sweaters get washed in Woolite and are hung to dry. I do the same with my good dress pants. I refuse to Dry Clean everything. Too expensive.

Shasha..COngrats on finding a dress! I hear ya on dress/shirt thing. A friend of mine keeps borrowing some of my tops... and they are dresses on her because she's only 4'10. But I'd still rather be tall than short...

salsa chip
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
This thread needs to be bumped up - we tall girls are still here!

Skinnycow
09-26-2009, 10:37 AM
I saw a woman on an infomercial who lost 55 lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 4. It kind of frustrated me. I've lost 55 lbs and have only gone from size 20 to size 16. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be short, but I quickly come to my senses.

CLCSC145
09-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I saw a woman on an infomercial who lost 55 lbs and went from a size 16 to a size 4. It kind of frustrated me. I've lost 55 lbs and have only gone from size 20 to size 16. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be short, but I quickly come to my senses.

I've now lost 85 pounds and I can still wear most of my 3x and size 24 clothes (though they are baggier now). It's so disappointing!

Judy Lynn
09-26-2009, 06:47 PM
CC, I bet they are plenty baggy! Time to try on some new sizes. Congrats on losing 85 pounds, that is awesome! :carrot:

I was busting out of my 24W pants (I was actually wearing them pinned together because the button was too tight), and after losing 23 pounds I can now wear them comfortably, and wear some other 24W's (that were too tight) and some 22W's. In other words, I have maybe gone down one size.

I guess the flipside is that we can gain 20 pounds and still squeeze into the same pants. My SIL is under 5' and lost 25 pounds and I'm like Whoa! You have lost a lot! Most people still have not noticed I have lost anything.

Just an FYI, I thought I would mention that for anyone that is tall & plus size it is almost impossible to find long enough jeans & pants here in Canada. I have discovered that Coldwater Creek has some tall plus sizes, and they ship to Canada.

PammyFl
09-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey ladies what is your goal size? I keep saying I want my goal to be a 10/12 because I don't think I would look good as a 8 because I have very large hips and it would basically just be hips filling in the jeans and I want to have some curve, but there are times I really think I could possibly pull off a 8. I don't really know what I want. UGH! How do you tall ladies determine your "GOAL weight?" I keep having mixed ideas on what my weight should be. I know I will never be 125 but how do you ladies determine what weight you want to be?

gardenerjoy
09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
PammyFl, I basically drew a number out of a hat. And, I think it is hard. I've seen other tall chicks here at about my height with a range of about 50 pounds for their goal weights. Since I took a wild guess, I'm reserving the right to change my mind and already have it in my plans to start reassessing and maybe even getting some professional help as I get nearer my goal to help me decide what the goal range should be.

If I got to a 12, I'd be pretty happy since I was wearing 12s in high school. But I also remember feeling awkward, gangly, and lacking in curves in high school, so I'm going to keep an open mind about stopping at 14.

JudyLynn and CLCSC145: I've gone down 40 pounds and back up 40 pounds and now I'm heading down again. Wearing size 20s the entire time. Admittedly, they are stretchy pants, but still, it is frustrating. I now think I made a mistake not buying at least a couple pairs of new pants -- maybe that would have motivated me to keep the weight off. This time, I'm going to reward myself with new pants when I reach Onederland.

AriesBarb
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah... I just found a number I thought would be close to where I THINK I would like to be.... since I am not there YET... I know that number might change as I get closer. I think I am really going to let the mirror decide... not the number...

DCHound
09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
It's very hard for some of us to know what our goal weight should be. For me, I'm carrying an extra 30 lbs of muscle I didn't have the last time I lost a lot of weight--from lifting heavy weights and also being more active in general. So, at @ 240, I am pretty much the exact same size I was at 205-210, 5 years ago--large 16 or small 18. Well, my 18s are pretty much falling off so really a 16 now, I guess. Once I get to 199 I will reassess and may decide to stop in the 190s, or keep going. Don't know yet.

I know a lot of people my height would need to weigh well under 150 to be not looking/feeling overweight...but I'm thinking anything under, like, 185 would just be too low for me. I'm only 5'8 but I have huge hands and feet, and am just generally very heavy-boned. Most folks think I'm taller than I actually am. (And that's why I hang here with you in the Tall Gals thread, LOL.)

PammyFl
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah im having a hard time determining what I consider "Healthy" for myself and my height. Right now my goal is set for a "Normal" BMI but I don't know If i want to be in the higher end of it or the lower end of it. I don't want to just say a number that would just be way too small for me. I am also very big boned with them "wide load" hips and Im so confused after reading all the posts with all these small woman weighing nothing and It just makes me feel so HUGE when I know im close to being considered "NORMAL" for my height. UGH! I love being tall but I hate it all at the same time!

CLCSC145
09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
...how do you ladies determine what weight you want to be?

I picked 165 because 166 is the least I've ever weighed as an adult. But I know that at 166 I still needed to lose a bit and knowing that I have to lose about 20 pounds to even see any difference, I'm guessing that 145 is probably around where I'll end up. But I won't know if that's too small for me until I get down around the neighborhood. So 165 it is and I'll refine that once I get there. For my height, the "normal" range is about 137 to 183 according to the charts.

sunshine
09-30-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm mostly following Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live" program and he says that to be your healthiest, a woman should be able to pinch no more than an inch of fat on her belly. Boy, do I have a ways to go!

mdancey
10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
lol is that unreasonable? We may get to a point where we have no more than an inch of fat but what about us older women? I've had 5 kids....when I get to a body fat point where I have less than an inch of the stuff around my belly what is going to account for the excess skin I have lol. Just sayin...........

Hi all you tall women. :) How many of us are Canadian? I just heard yesterday that Long Tall Sally from the UK has bought Tall Girl stores in Canada and the on-line store in the US. Might be nice to see some different clothing at Tall Girl.....though currently I'm a little to large to wear their clothing.....I've been back to shopping at Addition Elle.....not for long I hope. :)

Cheers
Mary

Havisham
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi, there, I'm new to this thread, but wanted to say hi. I'm 5'10" and currently around 300lbs - scales pending since I've decided to really hit this head on. I know if I look at my 'suggested healthy weight' it's ridiculous - I can't remember being 150-160lbs, let alone lower. Even when I was in excellent shape, I was around 180lbs.

I know that now I don't look like my weight - but I sure feel it!

Oh - I'm also in Canada now - it would be lovely to see some large, tall girl clothes!! I'm so tired of pants being too short - which only adds to how fat I look!

Anyone else noticed that in actual fact, as you lose weight (as a tall girl) that you actually don't look thinner to begin with, you just look taller?

Cali Doll
10-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Anyone else noticed that in actual fact, as you lose weight (as a tall girl) that you actually don't look thinner to begin with, you just look taller?

YES! I hear that all the time! It's funny to me. I'm like, "Yay!" I love being tall and I would love to be even taller so that's good. :carrot:

yoovie
10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
omg that is so true!!!! People have asked me so many times since I lost the first 40 if I am standing up straighter, or if I actually grew!!!

Now I know to take that as a compliment that I must be looking thinner!

mdancey
10-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Hi Havisham,
Welcome to Canada. :) There are stores called Addition Elle and they carry 'tall' pants. I feel your pain, I remember going in there years ago before they started carrying them and getting angry and telling the poor short over weight girl that 'not all fat people are short ya know!'

Cheers
Mary

Havisham
10-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Havisham,
Welcome to Canada. :) There are stores called Addition Elle and they carry 'tall' pants. I feel your pain, I remember going in there years ago before they started carrying them and getting angry and telling the poor short over weight girl that 'not all fat people are short ya know!'

Cheers
Mary

Hi, Mary, thanks for the smile! I tend to shop at Penningtons right now because I find Addition Elle a little 'fancy' for me - I'm a more 'comfy' type person. :) However, I didn't realise that they did 'tall' stuff, so I'll check it out. There's one right by my office so I'll go take a look.

It's annoying because all places now offer plus sizes in petites. Like you say, not all fat people are short. It's like for the longest time (and it's only just getting better) that all plus size clothes were old and frumpy - stuff my grandma might wear. What, we're fat so we're obviously short and old?? Very frustrating.

Anyway, little rant there. :) I shall check out AE and let you know how it goes!
Joanna

Stylist83
10-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Im 5'7 and very curvy must I add, no one says I look the weight I am either.. and its hard being a tall lady must I add *LOL* but I carry it very well..and have lost 25 lbs so far on WW YAY ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy Lynn
10-30-2009, 10:40 AM
That's great Stylist83! Way to go, keep it up.

Joanna, I have also ordered Tall Plus size pants from ColdwaterCreek.com. They ship to Canada. I am wearing a pair of their jeans today and they are actually too long! Now there's a first! :)

Krista
11-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi All,

Wanted to say hello. I'm 5'10, my weight is unhappily staying in the 235ish area and I wear a tight sz 18 jean. I always had problems finding pants that were long enough and shirts that wouldn't be short on my long arms, I always had to push them up. I do fit in a XL top but finding one long enough is a challenge. I put them in the washer but hang them to dry.

Growing up was tough being the tallest one in the class but as a adult it doesn't bother me any longer.

I wear a size 8 shoe sometimes a 9 but that depends on the shoe... I always thought that was small for my height!

Trying to lose at least 5lbs a month. I also started on the walking away the pounds tapes, I'm only making it one mile at a time whew, I'm so out of shape.

Good luck everyone and remember keep your shoulders back and your head held high :hug: