Old 10-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Cool Halloween

Im suprised I havent seen a post about this. But Halloween is next wed! There are things already going on with free candy--what are we to do!

I already finished a bag of reeses crisps last night.
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

The only thing I can really recommend is to buy candy to give out THAT YOU DON'T LIKE -- that way even if it's there, no temptation!!!

I'm convinced "this time" in my life is working because normally, by this date, i would have consumed utterly shameful amounts of bagged candy!!! reeses peanut butter cups and mini snickers -- BAGS of it!!!

so i have Mars bars as they hold no allure, and some other little treats that i don't care for! yay!

Last edited by Trazey34; 10-26-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Halloween is my daughter's Birthday so I have a double temptation. I am not sure if we are going trick -or -treating, because her dad will be out of town,and our neighborhood doesn't have much for candy, so we usually go to other areas, but I don't like driving at night, so we may stay home and hand out candy.. I also suggest buying candy you don't like.. I bought pop rocks for the kids. cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I've had four bags of almond joys sitting around for halloween for a couple of weeks now and haven't even been tempted to touch them. Coconut, almonds and dark chocolate, ick. Last year by this time I would have been through a couple of bags of Reeses and there's a good chance I may have had a Nestle's crunch or two, or twenty-five.

Almond joy may be the only safe candy for me to have around so that is what I'm giving out. I'm not going to be one of those nasty people who turns out their lights and pretends not to be home.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'9

ouch..a hard one..for me...well last year..I did what someone suggested above,dont hand out candy that you like,so I do that,and about a week before I buy gum,I usually hand out a couple of things,so either gum or sucker then a choc treat...so I buy the gum or suckers,and on halloween day I will go out and buy a few bags of choc treats,and something I dont like...

and by then,Im so busy I dont have time...however,I do have two boys that still go trick or treating,this may be their last year,but still...hard,because then its the candy that comes HOME...that I have to deal with...ugh..

so any suggestions on that!!???lol...

Last edited by Lannae; 10-26-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Lannae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

Height: 5'6"

Sadly (well....maybe not!), I've become a chocolate snob. I only like the reeeallllyy good stuff, so I'm fortunate in that Halloween candy doesn't float my boat. But, I think the idea of only giving out stuff that doesn't personally call to you is a GREAT one!!

You could always give out little packs of raisins, too, or dental floss!

<is that crickets chirping I hear?>

HA!! Totally kidding. Much as I'd love for more kids to eat dried fruit instead of candy and floss on a regular basis, I fall firmly into the "Halloween is that one day a year where candy is what it's all about" camp. Buy some of those disgusting gummy hamburgers and have done with it!
Lally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default This year

I already bought the candy that I don't like. That's no problem.
As for the stuff the kids will bring in...I'm going to have them keep their candy in their rooms. We used to dump it all together in a big bowl in the kitchen. It was waaay too easy to just walk by and grab a handful. If it's in their rooms I'd have to go in and dig around. Out of sight and out of mind!

I've already had teachers at school trying to give me candy. They offer and I just say "no thank but thanks for offering" and get busy with something else.
Supersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 294/270/170

For the candy that comes home, what we usually do is go through everything, have my son pick out 2 little treats a day for week (14 treats), then we trade him a couple of the Playmobil Halloween sets (a pumpkin with costumed Playmobil people inside - about $5 each) for the rest. It might sound horrible, but it works really well and - so far - my son is happy as a clam with this arrangement. He gets to have the experience and candy for a while (he doesn't eat much sugar regularly, so really, after a week of treats he's pretty much done anyhow - last year he even had stuff left and didn't want it), then moves on to the toys - he's a Playmobil freak -and then DH takes the leftovers to work so they don't go to waste.

We don't usually trick or treat for long, either, so the candy isn't excessive - we know he isn't going to eat much of it, so there's no point in taking too much candy from people.
Lally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #9  
*~Beautiful Hope~*

S/C/G: HW: ~200 SW: 170's/150's/115

I am having 3 of my wisdom teeth out (the 4th one never came in) on Monday morning so that takes care of the Halloween candy problem for me! I won't be able to eat much in the way of solid foods for a few days, let alone high fructose corn syrup filled candy...makes me want to brush my teeth just thinking about that stuff...LOL...That also means I won't be able to go out for my birthday which is the day after Halloween either....oh well! I'm better off without the extra calories anyway!
EsperanzaBella82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Robin, you are my nemesis LOL! I don't have a problem with the stuff I hand out. Today I bought some Nickelodeon pops and they won't tempt me at all. But I love Almond Joys, and the kids don't like them, so they give them all to me usually. They don't eat the candy that fast and it sits around for a looong time, taunting me. After all the chocolate is gone I'm okay. But I will try having them keep it in their rooms, and maybe I can get them to throw out what they don't like right away. It wasn't that long ago that I threw out the stuff they had left over from last year.!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #11  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Ach wisdom teeth. I have only been getting one out at a time. I had my top left one removed about 3 years ago, and my top right one about 2 years ago.

After each removal, Todd and I went out for chicken wings and onion rings... LOL Of course, that would be one of the reasons why I am where I am now

We're waiting until last minute to buy our candies. We're going to buy two boxes of chips to hand out (about 160 bags in total). then a small bag of candies to supplement.

For some reason I have a harder time stopping myself from reaching for extra halloween candies than I do for chips (I guess I feel more "guilty" about eating chips). So if there are any chips left over, they go to the kids for their school snacks. Candies can be hidden by my husband.

My son can't eat much when it comes to junk, because he has a severe deteriation problem with his teeth (can't do much about it until his baby teeth fall out - except to brush, brush, floss floss etc). We could have them capped, but then that can cause severe problems with his adult teeth when they come in.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I bought stuff I don't like, and we don't have kids around anymore. Our dentist is paying anyone money per pound for candy they bring in on November 1. That might be a good incentive to dump the stuff.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #13  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Halloween always haunts me. My neighborhood is the neighborhood EVERYONE sends their kids to for trick-or-treating, and I have to sit outside to hand out the candy.

Our driveway is really long and steep, and since you can't see our front door from the road, a lot of parents don't want their kids coming to the door. So to make it easy, I just sit out on our little ledge next to the road and hand out candy as kids walk by.

We go through a ton of candy for trick-or-treating, but I'm going to try hard this year to not get my hands too far into the candy dish. I'm going to eat right before I start handing out candy, so I won't be starving and tempted at the same time.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

We don't get any kids at all, so I don't have to buy anything. My only temptation is my children's treat bags. They will keep them in their rooms, I think, so that I can't swipe stuff from them. If they want to offer me a Coffee Crisp or two I won't beat myself up, but I won't buy anything.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #15  
doing it for real

S/C/G: 206/206/150

Height: 5ft7in

I don't buy it until right before, and don't open the bags until RIGHT before the kids start coming- and I avoid buying anything chocolate, since that kills me every time. With the stuff that my daughter gets, I let her have some, and then the day after I send it all to work with my husband.
Piper129 is offline   Reply With Quote