General chatter - When did you realize it was time to lose the weight?

Nicoyaangel
10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
I realized it was time to start losing the weight when I got out of the shower one day and tried to wrap the big beach towel around me and realized that it didnt fit all the way around. I still needed about 5 inches to cover all of me and have some extra cloth. Then I knew it was that time to lose the weight :^:

mandalinn82
10-26-2007, 01:22 PM
When I first tried on a wedding dress and the size 22 barely fit. And I looked like a sausage barely crammed in its casing.

cbmare
10-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I decided that it was time about a year ago. Nothing was working for me. So I came here and learned a tremendous amount. I've lost it slowly but at least it's a loss and not larger clothes.

Cookie_Monster
10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
After a year of being in denial and not weighing myself (and eating like crap), I stepped on the scale and it read 195...eek! I was almost at what I weighed when I was 9 mos. pregnant! That was my wake-up call.

tamaralynn
10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
My health was going down the drain.

I had:

Acid refulx
almost no immunity system (always sick)
back pains (excrutiating!)
constant headaches

I was always klutzy growing up - but being this big, I was really hurting myself, I have broken fingers, my tailbone and almost busted my spine.

I figured enough was enough. I also quit smoking 3 weeks ago.

nelie
10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
When I bought a size 32 jean because size 30 was too snug.

Supersub
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
...my scale didn't go that high anymore.
...my size 26 jeans were starting to feel snug.
...my back started to hurt all the time.
...I was disgusted when I saw myself in the mirror.
...I had a hard time finding a picture of myself. I always take the pictures because I don't want a permanant record or my size.

NightengaleShane
10-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I realized it was time to lose weight long before I actually started doing it. I blew up (50 pounds in 6 months) then let myself stay that size for a whole year before deciding I had enough. I was making my life miserable and of course, I was the only one I had to blame. The only thing I could think about was how much I hated my weight and I kept wondering if others noticed how big I was. I couldn't stop talking about it, and I mentioned countless times that I wanted to lose weight, though it obviously took awhile for me to go and do it!

A whole series of events made me realize it was time:

-Buying my first pair of size 14 pants and realizing that I was headed towards the plus sized realm
-Seeing that I was 20 pounds overweight and only needed to gain 15 more to be clinically obese according to the BMI chart
-Sitting in a bizarre, awkward clenched position to make sure I was hiding my belly fat
-Crying every time I tried on clothes because nothing cute fit me properly
-Realizing that I had a whole closet full of clothes that I couldn't wear (but I didn't throw out a single item because I wanted to make sure I got down to the same size or smaller! And I can fit almost all of them now! :D)
-Knowing that I would not go to any casting calls until I lost my weight
-And the self hatred was enough to make me go, "ok! enough!" so when I started my new job, I decided to ride my bike each way. It's around 9.5 miles away, which makes for a total of a 19 mile ride every day. Then, I decided I needed to watch what I ate and do a few other exercises so that I could get toned, fit, and healthy.

Oh! Bad health... acid reflex and insulin resistance both suck!

melekalikimaka
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
When my "fattest fat" jeans were snug and I refused to go up yet another size--plus like Cookie Monster mentioned above, my weight was just around what it was when I was 9 mos. pregnant. As I've gotten older and my weight has fluctuated anywhere from 20-50 lbs up and down over the last 4 years or so, it really affects my knees (had to have knee surgery for a torn meniscus and to ease up some ligaments that were pulling the wrong way due to exess weight), not to mention the wonderful TOM problems (all or nothing) that come with having excess fat producing excess estrogen.... boy, I didn't realize my reasons were so many. I'll stop here now :lol:

ennay
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
When my dad died of lifestyle diseases (lung cancer untreatable because of heart disease, diabetes, etc. etc.) and my daughter was 9 months old and I realized that I had inherited his genes (high chol since 21, insulin resistant by early 30's) and I was not going to let my health do to my kid's childhood what his health did to mine.

Funny I was going to post this question in a different manner this week. I keep hoping something will trigger my friends into saying enough is enough.

almostheaven
10-26-2007, 04:01 PM
When I was 37. I bent down to tie my shoes and when I raised up, I was huffing and puffing like I'd just run a marathon. I realized all the health problems running through my family were going to be catching me soon and I really wasn't ready to give up on life so young. Today at 42, I feel better than I did when I was 20. The weight's gone and my health is better than it probably was even then.

drake3272004
10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Health problems!
sleep apnea
acid reflux
hormone imbalance
endometrial hyperplasia caused by the imbalance
tendonitis in both arms
infertility

I kept putting off losing the weight (never thinking about my health) cause I figured what would be the point if I was just going to gain for a pregnancy anyway. But then I kept adding more and more to the list of health problems and when the scale hit 238, it hit me...........I needed to lose weight first!

HarpoChicoGroucho
10-28-2007, 12:53 PM
It was a few different things for me: when I went out of town with my mom and couldn't wear a seat belt because it wouldn't fit -- when I got winded by sitting up and pulling the covers over me and breaking out in a sweat when I toweled off from a shower -- when I barely fit in the bathtub (and struggled to get out of it) -- when I was down to my last pair of jeans that would fit (size 26) -- when I was embarrassed to go out in public in the daytime.

losinitin07
10-28-2007, 01:40 PM
I decided to lose because I can not find cute big clothes and because I want to be healthy. I was like NightengaleShane I talked about it a lot but didn't do any thing about it . I know people saw me ballooning ,but no one will tell you , you have gotton so big. I also have head aches and joint pain. People do treat you different if you are not overweight have you ever noticed that?

sfj
10-28-2007, 01:47 PM
When I saw this picture last Christmas. Whats sad is I weigh more now than in that picture.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/sfj_album/l187382422.jpg

princess_peach
10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I went to the doctor because I was having chronic headaches and insomnia (not that it was related to my weight or anything...;)), when I stepped on the scale it said 281! I always struggled with my weight but I never ever ever thought I would be nearly 300 pounds!

Total slap in the face that I absolutely needed

leah_0600
10-28-2007, 07:51 PM
because my dad said he was worried about me being overweight. I didn't even realise i was overweight!

ANOther
10-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I always knew I was at pretty high risk for diabetes because of a strong family history on both sides (both grandfathers, my dad and my dad's last surviving sister all have or had it), so I knew I better lose the weight, but I was just never motivated. For close to 20 years I avoided seeing the doctor until I had an emergency (not diabetic-related). In the wake of that crisis, I had a nice doctor who helped me a lot in getting over my doctor-phobia. Whenever she checked my blood pressure she seemed satisfied with the numbers. But a couple of years ago, she retired because of her own health problems and I went on board with my parents' doctor, who was less happy with my blood pressure: he put me on meds and I started walking some. The following spring, my blood pressure was still a bit high and he had me schedule a physical for the following month and said "try to lose 3 pounds by then and ideally 10 pounds over the next year". I started walking more and watching calories more and lost 10 # by the physical. As of now I've lost 44 #

arawagrl
10-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I decided it was enough when my mother got diabetes, my father had it already and I was 100kg 220 pds and I really didnt want to be a statistic am now 159pds looking at getting to 132pds thankfully have decreased my chances of diabetes by half:D

Time for a change
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
even getting winded easily and backaches weren't enough to convince me that it was time to do something about it, I guess I was just in denial.
In fact I never did decide to diet! I had just had some blood work done and the doctor told me that my cholosterol & triglycerides were to high & if I didn't lower them I would develop diabetes! That scared the sh*t out of me because I've seen the problems that friends and family have to endure because of their diabetes and I'm determined to do everything in my power to prevent it from happening to me. She (the doctor) told me to cut the fats & carbs I did & was really surprised to see that I started losing weight because I wasn't even on a diet. Well I got my cholsoterol & triglycerides down to normal but continued with the low cal & low carb and I'm still losing.
This is a new healthy lifestyle for me, it is not a diet.

SapphireBlue
10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
When people started asking, "When's the baby due?" Come ladies! I know you have heard that one before! Grrrr!

arawagrl
10-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Everyone can do it. I am still struggling its taken me two years on and off to get this far but im nearly there. Anyone got any handy tips :carrot:

NightengaleShane
10-30-2007, 05:50 AM
When people started asking, "When's the baby due?" Come ladies! I know you have heard that one before! Grrrr!

Actually...no. ;)

When all your muscle is hidden by a disgusting layer of fat, no one thinks you're pregnant; just chubby. Sure, my stomach stuck out a little, but my sides were jinormous, so were my thighs, and my face was really fat as well. I had 2 chins and was working on three.

No one gave me the preggo sympathy...

...but if they did, I probably would have cried.

Katheryne
10-30-2007, 08:27 AM
For me, there wasn't any specific moment that made me realize what I'd become. I always saw myself through rose colored glasses and thought "it really isn't that bad." I tried a lot of half-hearted attempts at losing weight, usually via the starvation diet, which lasted a few days and were relatively easy to quit, since "it really wasn't that bad!"

Of course it was really that bad, 250 lbs doesn't sit well on a 5'2" frame, no matter how much I tried to ignore it. I was well on my way to being a diabetic; it's in my family and I was insulin resistant, but even that wasn't enough to make me give up fast food.

What set me on the path to better health was meeting someone who, for the first time in my life, gave me confidence in myself and my ability to make the changes. I felt so much better about myself, that I actually began to think I was worth the effort it was going to take. The difference between this and my previous attempts is this one is fueled by positive feelings about myself, rather than negative. And that's made all the difference in the world for me.

AngelxxRose
11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
I accepted it was time to lost weight when the scale was dangerously close to reading 200 lbs and when I could barely squeeze into my size 14 pants. I was also sick of binge eating and yo-yo dieting and decided to make a lifestyle change instead of going on a temporary diet.

Irishowl
11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
My partner and I started talking about having children. I already knew that I had polycystic ovarian syndrome and that was going to make getting pregnant harder. My weight was only making it worse. I also had high blood pressure and started taking meds for it at 26! I still have a LONG ways to go but I've lost enough that I no longer need to take meds for my blood pressure. Also, my cycles have regulated and I am ovulating on my own. We don't plan on trying to concieve until my weight is under 170, but we are hopeful that we will have an easier time because I've lost weight.

Shannon

Smiling_Sara
11-24-2007, 11:54 PM
about 10 years ago. I just never did anything about it till now. :(

TheBabies
11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
For me it was much more about "when did I realize I COULD lose the weight?". I knew I should because:
-- I hated pictures of myself
-- my medical records said I was "morbidly obese", which made me "morbidly embarassed"
-- I couldn't stay in the same size clothes because I kept gaining
-- I hated the stand-up-and-pull-shirt-out-from-fat-layers routine
-- medical problems: likely sleep apnea, worse cramps because of increased estrogen, etc.
-- had no staminia (couldn't go more then 3 minutes on elliptical at first or do a flight of stairs)
-- had no energy

I was convinced I had a thyroid or metabolic problem and got tested for one every year or so. Finally I joined WW in a last ditch effort and so I could say "told ya so" when I failed. Oddly, I didn't fail and I'm still amazed that I've lost weight. I've started a new medication that will probably make it harder to continue to lose weight but I'm hoping for continued loss.

Marms
11-25-2007, 07:00 PM
I buy most of my work pants at Target. The highest size is 16 before you have to go to the plus section. The 16's were uncomfortable tight on me.

BerkshireGrl
11-26-2007, 07:00 AM
After I regained the weight I previously lost on WW because I stopped tracking my food, and eating whatever whenever... I had been putzing around with different diets du jour, not sticking to any of them, just getting bigger and bigger in the yo-yo.

Then I blogged about it this month, and I reread my first post... God, I sounded like such a WHINER! ;) It was all I can't do this diet because of blah blah, or that one because of blah blah blah...

It was an eye-opener to realize I needed to get real, and have to start tracking my food to lose the weight. Trusting myself to wing it and cut it down was not working, so here I am.

Plus I also had the nasty health & life effects of:
* Hip and knee pain (at 36, ugh!)
* High fasting blood sugar at last physical
* Wonky extra-heavy periods and adult acne on my jawline/neck until I hid it by going on the Pill
* Wheezing after a flight of stairs
* Back pain
* Depression
* Acid reflex up the wazoo, keeping TUMS at home and work
* Becoming a hermit because I didn't want to go out and be seen
* Jeans wearing out in the inner thighs early on
* Too tired to regularly clean my apartment
* Too much money spent on crap food & alcohol

I just got to the point of being fed up and decided to tackle it! :sumo:

KillTheMoonlight
11-26-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure when I realized exactly, because I have known that I need to lose some weight for quite some time. Lately, though, it's become more and more apparent that my life has turned from being healthy and fun, to lazy and lethargic. That's how I know I need to get back into shape and reclaim my healthy, fun life! :carrot:

Lafayette
11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
I had been so proud of myself when I had trimmed down from 140 to 135 and, because I got fit in the process, went from a size 12 to a 6.

I started skipping the gym and not skipping dessert and the weight crept back on with friends... until I felt physical pain if I left my size 12 pants buttoned and the pain did not go away by simply changing into baggy sweats. Motivation by sausage casing, I guess! ;)

zenor77
11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
For me it was a variety of things that finally woke me up.

1. I was about to turn 30 and didn't want to be unhealthy for another decade.

2. DH and I are talking about having kids soon and I didn't want a high risk pregnancy because of my weight.

3. I realized that I was angry at both of my parents for not taking care of themselves (they died fairly young from diseases of "affluence".) How could I have children if I was going to make those same mistakes that made me so angry?

4. I was starting to have knee pain and my cholesterol was borderline.

So, I guess for me it was mainly health reasons.

LittleMoonRabbit
11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
When I looked at picture of myself from my honeymoon, in a bathing suit, and was disgusted with myself. That is not how I wanted to be remembered by my husband on the vacation of our lives. I gained 15 lbs in about 2 months... and that was in addition to what I saw in the honeymoon pictures. My hubby and I started talking about the cruise we are taking this coming summer and I was like... I WILL NOT be FAT in my bathing suit for that trip. That's what did it for me... but my tight khaki work pants that show the dimples in my @$$ help too...

Rowdin
11-28-2007, 11:40 PM
When I hit my 3rd consecutive week at 224+ lbs, something just clicked and I started to do something about it; this was back in February '07. Fortunately for me, although overweight, I was still pretty healthy and reasonably fit, so I haven't had to deal with a lot of the problems I read about here on the forum.

--