South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #1  
fluffer mom

S/C/G: 335/335/155

Height: 5'5"

Default I've only just begun, begun, begun

Today is October 23, 2007 I have decide to try th south beach diet any one have any tips!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

chickiemoma5!

The most important advice I can give you is to thoroughly read the book so you can understand the fundamentals of this way of eating. And then check out the FAQ section of this forum and read the stickies. Try to plan your menus ahead of time, then go grocery shopping to stock up on the items you'll need. It's so much easier to stay on plan when you are prepared in advance. Good luck, and I hope you'll join us in the daily chat, and also in the Phase 1 starter thread.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Welcome! My biggest piece of advice, aside from reading the book AND checking out the updates on this site, is checking in here frequently for support and tips. Having a group of folks who are going through the same struggles as you is invaluable!

Kara
Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 AM   #4  

Height: 5'2'

Hi and Welcome! My advice is somewhat the same...read the book, and check out the FAQ section. Also, don't be afraid to experiment with cooking. Try different recipes. You'll be surprised at what you will love to eat. Congratulations on starting. Good Luck on your path!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Chickiemoma5!

Great advice in here! We have tons of very wise chickies--that's why coming here can be so powerful. It's really made a difference for me!

My advice, other than to read the book first, is to set yourself up for success by clearing your house, totally, of all non SBD items (get your family to stow their stuff away where you can't find it or buy it and eat it outside the house), and stock it with tons of yummy OP (On Plan) things so you aren't tempted to cheat. Another way to set yourself up for success is to plan when to start Phase 1 so that you don't try to do it in the middle of a huge family reunion, Thanksgiving weekend, or any other big event that involves food. Eating out in Phase 1 is particularly difficult. It's so frustrating to work so hard to eliminate sugar from your diet only to go out and order something that seems safe...and find out it had sugar in it and you have to start over! So try to do P1 at a time when you can avoid going out. It's just 10 times easier that way.

One more piece of advice--the number one reason I hear for people quitting SBD is because "I can't eat one more salad!" That makes me crazy, because you can easily do SBD for years without eating a single salad! The best way to stay interested in this plan is to check out the recipes in the book, the SBD cookbooks, our recipe forum here (try the Taco Bake and the Peanut Butter Cup!!!), or other resources, like Cooking Light. Make different things and be creative...and you'll stay very interested!

Good luck--we're glad to have you here!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

The only thing I can add to the excellent advice given above is to make sure you eat enough, particularly in Ph1. Lots of Ph1 starters post here about being hungry. You should NOT have to go hungry in any Phase! During Ph1, make sure you eat dairy and beans every day too. Some chicks (not all) have a couple of days the first week of feeling icky while they are "detoxing" from bad carbs. The dairy and beans can help avoid that.
OH, and ask lots of questions. The chicks here love to answer questions.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/185/145

Hi gals, I also just started the SBD. I started Sunday and I am so excited to be three lbs down already! The crazy thing is...I swear i can SEE it. I'm really excited to be doing something that seems to be working. I've checked alot of the different posts here, it looks like there is some outstanding advice and some great recipes! I'm planning on trying the faux-pancakes or the muffins over the weekend.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome to the Beach, favepairobluejeans! We're happy to have you joining us, and congratulations on the 3 lbs! Why don't you introduce yourself in the Phase 1 starters and re-starts thread, where you'll get a lot of encouragement and support.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Call me crazy (it wouldn't be the first time!) but I think my saving grace, not only in P1 but beyond, was and is the peanut butter cup (P1 recipes)! I still have this almost every night and look forward to it. I guess for me its having the chocolate everynight and not cheating. It's my own personal piece of heaven that keeps me from straying (most days).

Perhaps I need to seek professional help for this addiction of mine.

Regardless good luck, and just keep in mind you have to find what works for you and you will be sucessful in this journey!

Last edited by Pacergal29; 10-25-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

For me, it's the fudgesicles. I've wondered the same thing Pacer, if I need professional help. It's a real crisis if I run out. I freak out if anyone else eats them.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #11  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Pacer, I'm right there with you on the peanut butter cups...EVERY night. It's my "tv treat"...it never bothers me to see the cookies, brownies etc my husband eats as long as I have my peanut butter cup!
Closed Thread