LA Weight Loss - Legal Non-Sweet Treats

View Full Version : Legal Non-Sweet Treats

Mama Nicole
10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
For those freaks who do not have a sweet tooth (I am only kidding, or course)......please share your OP non-sweet yummies.....you know.......the things that save you from going off plan :) My own personal salty fix is usually cucumbers with cider vinegar and lite salt.

EmilyLashea
10-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I loved the thread on the sweet treats, but this is more what i'm looking for! By the way, Nicole, you are awesome! Thanks so much! :)

mom2mollie
10-22-2007, 07:18 PM
hummus. mmmmm!

ooodsie
10-22-2007, 08:00 PM
berries, vanilla soy milk & some granola on top.. mmmm. sometimes its breakfast, sometimes its a dessert!

ViolinCyndee
10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
LF cheese/LF wheat thins (or LF Ritz)
100 cal pack chips (only very occasionally)!!
Peanuts or cashews

ooodsie
10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
i also really enjoy mcdonalds fruit and yogurt parfaits.

Dan2112
10-22-2007, 09:11 PM
There are some soy crisps I really like.. They're called "Gensoy" or something like that.. They come in chips and also version that's identical to the LAWL crispix-esque snacks.. They have 7g of protein which I really like. I've found them at Wal-Mart and Wild Oats.

Warning - It's hard to eat just the OP amount!

bradleys mom
10-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Speaking of McD's I LOVE the fruit and Walnut salad. For $1.89 its a perfect snack that I like to take to school with me. And it keeps me away from the snack machines.

janetp
10-23-2007, 01:58 AM
mom2mollie-
How do you count the hummus? I'm been craving it. Thanks!

BillBlueEyes
10-23-2007, 05:17 AM
A quarter cup of roasted soy nuts works for me (~120 calories). :)

Not on LAWL - just peeking in to steal ideas from this thread.

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXX|| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 12. 30 to go. Keep going!

Lynx
10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Here are a couple of suggestions -

1 triangle of laughing cow cheese and 7 Kashi TLC crackers 1/2 D and 1 S
(Note: I am very conservative with the calorie count of my starches)

Baked apple with cinnamon - Core the apple, add a little water and cook it in the microwave. Add cool whip if desired.

LA lite hot cocoa mix instead of a lite bar.

Cyndee mentioned cashews or peanuts - In fact, I use almonds daily as my fat serving. 12 almonds counts as 2 fats in the numbered plans. Daily fats serving are suggested as part of weight loss program. The body needs fat to be consumed to burn fat. Don't skip the fat category.

week 42
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 51.5 lbs.

ooodsie
10-23-2007, 10:41 AM
i was told its better to count cheese as a protein (1 laughing cow = 1/2 p) as opposed to a dairy.. a cheese is technically more of a protein than a dairy and if you use it as a dairy youre missing out on the benefits of milk that women need each day.

ViolinCyndee
10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Interesting.. though, I do not drink milk at all, other than a tiny bit in my coffee. In fact, I am leaning towards becoming vegan--cheese is my only obstacle.

Lynx
10-23-2007, 12:42 PM
i was told its better to count cheese as a protein (1 laughing cow = 1/2 p) as opposed to a dairy.. a cheese is technically more of a protein than a dairy and if you use it as a dairy youre missing out on the benefits of milk that women need each day.

I have 2 dairys on plan 2 so I am not using up my dairy allotment by using the cheese as 1/2 dairy. This is one of the big differences between lets say gold and plan 2 and I am enjoying the benefits of 2 dairys. In the numbered plans, Laughing cow cheese is one of the few cheeses that has the required less than 3 grams of fat or less per ounce. The other that I found and use is skim string mozzarella cheese.

week 42
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 51.5 lbs.

marzbe
10-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Leave it to Nicole to start a legal snack thread. :devil:

The cucumbers wtih salt and vinegar is one of my staples. I eat that all the time and it totally squashes the salt craving. Plus now, with my monster number of veggie servings, it's an easy way to kill 2 or 3 of them. :carrot:

I also could live on fresh pico de gallo, for a meal, I toss 1/4 cup on each half of an english muffin and broil it with the cheese on top. I've done the same thing with triscuits. Disclaimer in addition the rabbit number of veggies, I also have 4 starches a day :nono:

Then when all else fails, there's alwasy veggie chicken nuggets when I'm truly desperate for a salt fix. Downside about all the starches, I can't count them as a straight protein.

KrispieD
10-23-2007, 04:57 PM
crab meat mixed with dried dill, lite mayo, diced celery and green onion
Spread on the large rice cakes..YUMMY!

EmilyLashea
10-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Megan.... Veggie Chicken Nuggets? Please tell me all about these!!! Who makes them, where can I get them, and what do you count them for!? Thanks! :D

Mama Nicole
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Leave it to Nicole to start a legal snack thread. :devil:

LOL........you know me :)

To answer your question, Emily, Morning Star makes a veggie chicken nugget, chicken patties.......oh, all sorts of yummies. I think Boca also makes them. Look in your whole foods, or health foods section of the grocery store :) I tell ya..........the Morning Star veggie burgers used to save me OFTEN at lunch time.....that is, until I found I can't tolerate soy well. Oh well, I love them, and still have them once in a while. It makes me feel kind of naughty :devil:

EmilyLashea
10-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks Nicole! Do they taste like regular chicken or is there a not so lovely "diet" taste to them? I'll definately have to try them out! :)

Mama Nicole
10-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I don't know for sure about the chicken..........I only ate the burgers. I think I get the Original grillers or somethign like that. They don't taste like a regular burger.......they actually remind me of school lunch (soy burgers). I like them, but everyone doesn't. Matter of fact, seems like people either love them or hate them. I am not sure what plan you are on, but for me, red w/o lites, or purple w/ lites, I get 2 veggie burgers (any variety) or 6 chicken nugget for 1P. YUM. I like to use 1 lite bun and have my burgers open faced. That way it counts for 1P, 2S, and I feel like I am getting away with murder :devil:

emmysmom
10-24-2007, 09:33 AM
The chicken is very, very yummy. My DH even eats them...so much so that I have to keep my freezer stocked. I eat the chicken patties alot, the chicken nuggets, and they have a buffalo hot wing nugget which is good, but a little too spicy for me.

emmysmom
10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
My new favorite actually came from Amy, I think. Yogurt mixed with fiber one cereal.

amylou7777
10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
So funny, I'm eating my yogurt and fiber one right now!

Lynn had always mentioned Fiber one so I bought some and I'm addicted. It really fills you up!!

I also love a wasa cracker with FF cream cheese and scrambled eggs on top...yum!

ooodsie
10-24-2007, 05:39 PM
do you guys just eat regular old fiber one? i always look at the box and think about getting it but it looks SO gross.. like twigs. haha! i bought the kashi vive which is supposd to be similar, and i normally love kashi stuff, but the vive was GROSS and i imagine fiber one to be similar cause they look similar! also, the crab meat and rice cake idea sounds DELISH!!!! i gotta try that

amylou7777
10-24-2007, 06:03 PM
I'll stand by my fiber one. I don't like terribly sweet cereals...so this one is just right. It's not like cardboard like grape nuts in my opinion!

Lynx
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Let me chime in on fiber one. As everyone probably knows, I love fiber one parfaits. Pineapple or strawberries, dannon light and lively low fat vanilla yogurt and fiber one.
I am trying this experiment that I read about to increase my weight loss. I am eating my LAWL plan food allotments, but I have increased my fiber 2 to 3 times of what I was eating before. The mainstay of this experiment is the fiber one because 3/4 cup is 21 grams of fiber. I started this on vacation and have been doing this about 10 days now. I am choosing the highest fiber foods and trying to get a minimum of 35 grams of fiber a day. I will let you all know. Today, I just finished eating for the day and I am at 38 grams of fiber. It certainly keeps me full. I am always ready to try anything new to boost my weight loss. My theory is not everything works for everybody. We are all so different genetically. If it works great, if not I move on to try the next thing......

week 42
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 51.5 lbs.

Mama Nicole
10-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Lynn......have you ever tried the All Bran Buds? I think they are pretty tasty with yogurt, or even alone, but they destroy my stomach.........so sad, so sad. They have 12.9 g of fiber per 1/3 cup.
from wikpedia:

Bran Buds is a variety of All-Bran cereal manufactured by Kellogg's. It is a wheat bran cereal that is a source of high fiber and psyllium. It is available in the United States and Canada.

I think the combination of the two types of fiber make All Bran cereals unique, but I am not sure.

You are doing yourself such a favor by increasing your fiber intake. My doc says noone eats enough fiber, and everyone should use a metamucil suppliment if they are not making a conscious effort to increase fiber.

But.......you also have to be careful not to take in too much fiber, as it can carry away very important vitamins and minerals from your intestines. Everything in moderation....so easy to type. I wish I could remember the details of which nutrients fiber can affect......but my good memory is very short. Of course, it is only a concern if you go way over the RDA.

Ok, have to get DS to bed :)
XOXO

KSingleton
10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Lynn- Do you mind giving us an example of your daily menu where you were able to eat 38 grams of fiber and still stay OP? It is extremely hard for me to do.

ooodsie
10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
i too have drastically increased by fiber intake. i am sticking to plan but making sure all of my starches are high in fiber. i will buy the fiber one and report back.. your parfaits sound amazing :) thanks for the tips!! (also.. my stomach hates the fiber too, heh)

Lynx
10-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I am on Plan 2 with lites so my exchanges are 2 P, 3V, 2 F, 3S, 2 D, 2F and 2 lites
Yesterday, this is what I ate totally POP

B cup fiber one S 21
8 oz activia lite raspberry D 6
3 prunes F 1

S - double choc lite L 4
6 almonds Fa 1

L - cooked salmon patty made with
1 egg P 0
3 oz salmon P 0
4 saltines crushed S 0
1/8 cup onions V 0

S - lite vanilla shake L 1
10 strawberries frozen F 2
1 cup Dannon low fat yogurt D 0
6 almonds Fa 1

D - 3 oz lean ground sirloin P 0
1 slice light bread S 1
1 stalk of celery V 1
2 cups Romaine lettuce V 2
1 small tomato V 1
Total 42

My total was higher than I had first figured. High fiber fruits and vegetables go a long way to help increase daily fiber.
Note: I have the slowest digestive system on record. Nothing will race through my body. This is why I think that a high fiber plan is best for me.
I cannot get the columns to line up so you will find the fiber count after the food category designation.

Here is a site I found to help calculate the fiber in foods - http://www.slrhc.org/healthinfo/dietaryfiber/fibercontentchart.html#s

Lynx
10-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Lynn......have you ever tried the All Bran Buds? I think they are pretty tasty with yogurt, or even alone, but they destroy my stomach.........so sad, so sad. They have 12.9 g of fiber per 1/3 cup.
from wikpedia:

Bran Buds is a variety of All-Bran cereal manufactured by Kellogg's. It is a wheat bran cereal that is a source of high fiber and psyllium. It is available in the United States and Canada.

I think the combination of the two types of fiber make All Bran cereals unique, but I am not sure.

You are doing yourself such a favor by increasing your fiber intake. My doc says noone eats enough fiber, and everyone should use a metamucil suppliment if they are not making a conscious effort to increase fiber.

But.......you also have to be careful not to take in too much fiber, as it can carry away very important vitamins and minerals from your intestines. Everything in moderation....so easy to type. I wish I could remember the details of which nutrients fiber can affect......but my good memory is very short. Of course, it is only a concern if you go way over the RDA.

Ok, have to get DS to bed :)
XOXO

Thanks Nicole - I will get some Bran Buds when my 2 box supply of fiber one is gone. I forgot about Bran Buds, but I will give it a try too.

week 42
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 51.5 lbs.

AvidKayaker
10-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I really like the Internet Explorer Toolbar that can be added at the calorie king website for quick access to analyzing fiber in foods...check it out at:
http://www.calorieking.com/toolbar/