Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Which insurance companies DO cover surgery?

I did search for this through old threads, but I wonder if there is a thread on this subject. Which insurance companies DO cover skin reduction surgery? I would love to see a list. I have seen the thread that states that "military insurance" paid for surgery after the patient proved mental anguish. If there is such a thread already in existence, could someone please point it out to me?

I'm also very puzzled by the fact that insurance companies will pay for skin surgery after bariatric surgery but not for people who do it by counting calories. It seems that the criteria should be whether or not the procedure is medically necessary -- and how the condition became medically necessary seems to be a red herring. It doesn't matter if a person's bones are broken because they got hit by a car or fell off a balcony. The point is that it is medically necessary for the bones to be repaired. Likewise, it doesn't seem to matter if the skin is hanging from WLS or WW -- if it is medically necessary for the skin to be repaired.

Have any attorneys checked into this?
lettingslenderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I can't cite you specific companies. But I do know that everything at every company is usually on a case by case basis. And I doubt that any company would give coverage for "mental anguish" alone. Do you know how difficult it is to get medically necessary regular psych appts reimbursed?!
Usually you would need to have some type of dermatological problem; like severe rashes and/or infections to get it covered. And even then.... good luck.

But, as always, I wouldn't really worry about ANY of this until you have lost all of your extra weight. One thing at a time.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #3  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote