General chatter - California Fires

View Full Version : California Fires

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
There are several fires here in southern California. Thousands of people have been evacuated....schools are closing right and left....more fires are starting...the winds are increasing....Quallcomm Stadium has opened for people that need a place to go....also many schools.

My family is not in any danger, we are 15 miles from the closest one at the moment and we do not live in a rural area ....although one is burning in the area where my son and daughter in law live, they are not in any danger at this time either....

Prayers for all my San Diego area 3FC friends and their families...be careful in the heavy smoke we are experiencing!

BE SMART ~ BE SAFE! ~ PRAYERS! :angel:

SoulBliss
10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I was just going to post something! EZ, I am so glad you are safe! I am in South Park and my daughter is very scared that the fire will reach us. I have to reassure her but know that there is no guarantee that anyone is safe. I am scared and praying for all of us. I don't want to go to school or send her. I want to cancel my plans to go to Las Vegas tomorrow at this point.

SoulBliss
10-22-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/cafw/

Such a large area is in "Red Flag" alert!

nelie
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
EZ,

I got a call from my mom in Oceanside this morning. She is very worried that the fires will shift toward them. Plus I know how sad a lot of San Diego looked after the last major fire. Hopefully the stupid Santa Anas will disappear and allow the fires to be contained.

Jasmine31
10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah I am in Cali too but thankfully not near the fires. I am praying!

SoulBliss
10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
My daughter's school and my school have been canceled today. It's heard to breathe.

midwife
10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I used to live a stone's throw away from Qualcomm. Hopefully the fires will be contained soon. So sad.

alinnell
10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
My Mom called last night to see how we were. Thankfully we have nothing going on in this area, but my Aunt, Uncle and two sets of cousins are very close to the one that jumped the 241 yesterday. I forget what they named that fire.

Karen31
10-22-2007, 01:19 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all that are threatened by these fires! I'll pray that the winds slow down and they can get them under control before anymore damage is done.

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I just watched a LEGEND news/weather man in our area, Larry Himmel, report the burning up of his home as he watched...so emotional...so sad.

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Reports are well over 10,000 acres burning....200,000 people evacuated...entire town of Ramona, 36,000 people evacuated...winds just keep on blowing....still too windy for airplane and helicopter water drops. Getting worse..

Nelie ~ The wind is blowing the fire, closest to your mom, to the south...as of now. She is Not in any danger, as of now.

mom2fivesweeties
10-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'll be praying also - when you watch the news, you just don't see the human impact and the huge area that it all involves. I've never seen nor actually known anyone in those types of wildfires.
It sort of reminds me of the flooding disasters we have in this area of the country. The flood of '73 let all the schools out to sandbag and the flood of '93 showed a friend of ours home on nationwide TV coming off the foundation and washing away down the swollen Mississippi. They were from Valmeyer, IL and the townspeople actually rebuilt the whole town up on a bluff.
Prayers with all involved and families and friends.
Lori

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
THINGS CHANGING FAST ~

My son just called, then my ex-wife's sister...they live in the same area...they are being evaquated....full house tonightt!!

Plus my next door neighbor has about 15 family at his house that have had to leave their's...

look for further up-dates!! wink

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Now it is 250,000 evaquated

mandalinn82
10-22-2007, 05:43 PM
It is INSANE.

I have friends/family in the LA and San Diego area, though I live on the Northern side of the state. The Santa Anas are just insane.

My best thoughts to everyone, and for the safety of everyone's family and friends.

nelie
10-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Luckily my parents have plenty of family in the area that aren't in danger (unless things change dramatically) so if they need to be evacuated, they can be.

I always hated Santa Anas especially if I had to drive on the freeway while they were blowing. I almost got blown off the road while I was going 40 on the freeway one time. Crazy winds!

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Nelie I keep checking the news channels...still looks OK for your mom.....but then I thought my son was ok....

as the winds blow...so do the days of our lives....wink

Slashnl
10-22-2007, 05:57 PM
How frightening for everyone out there. Just crazy how many this is affecting. My prayers are going out for all of you and your families!

alinnell
10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
I know several people from another forum and one had to evacuate--the fire in Irvine was within a mile of her house. She's staying with another person from the forum and that girl's husband is in San Diego working and is supposed to evacuate and the only freeway open is the 5 which is probably a parking lot at this point.

So sad. So scary. So worrisome that we're next.

junebug41
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Word of the wise, when they tell you to leave, leave. I'll be praying for everyone affected and hoping that you are all safe! I know that even if you aren't in an evacuated area, the smoke can be overwhelming!

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Allison, the last report I saw said the 15 was open again.

Jen ~ great advice! and you are so young!....wink

Bikini Ready
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
My campus was closed today, luckily my house is a safe distance from all the fires. I wish the best for all those being evacuated.

rubberlegs
10-22-2007, 07:11 PM
I live about 5 miles away from both the San Pasqual fire and 5 from the Coronado Hills one... fortunately there are so many structures between the two that I should be safe. We haven't been evacuated. We got evacuated in the Harmony Grove fire a few years back and now my old house looks like it might burn down again. There was only a canyon of dead brush between us and Harmony Grove. My sister lives in Olivenhain and she's been evacuated. Many, many people I know have been evacuated.
That is so sad about Larry Himmel. I didn't know about him.

SoulBliss
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
I opened the door and it looks like it is snowing. It is hot, sooty and hard to breathe. Schools are all canceled for today and tomorrow and likely will be most of the week.

The Superintendent from the San Diego Unified School Center has called all my cell phone numbers and my home number, asking that we keep our children home and wit limited physical activity. They gave out the website to look for more information: www.sandi.net

This is scary, even for those not close to the fire areas. :(

Elerine
10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
The fires have made the news down here in Aus. There are some pretty intense photos around - I'm really sorry you guys are going through this.

Thinking of you all

Kylie

alinnell
10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
The fires have made the news down here in Aus. There are some pretty intense photos around - I'm really sorry you guys are going through this.

Thinking of you all

Kylie

You had your own rash of fires not too long ago as I remember.

rubberlegs
10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Even though this fire is much worse than the Cedar fire was, they say that they've learned from their mistakes and are working together much better.

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
......... Schools are all canceled for today and tomorrow and likely will be most of the week.

The Superintendent from the San Diego Unified School Center has called all my cell phone numbers and my home number, asking that we keep our children home and wit limited physical activity............

This is scary, even for those not close to the fire areas. :(

MY nephew is having too hard a time breathing to do homework....but he thinks he could struggle through some skateboarding....;)

rubberlegs
10-22-2007, 07:58 PM
A lot of people couldn't make it in, so I'm working 14+ hours today - a lot of it outside. My lungs hurt. :dizzy:

cbmare
10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
God please be with you people and all the rescue workers.

Spinymouse
10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow. I am sending my best thoughts for everyone in the area. I hope you are all ok. I can hardly believe it but I can smell smoke all the way up here in Morro Bay. I can't imagine what it must be like to breathe the air in SD right now.

rubberlegs
10-22-2007, 08:45 PM
channel 9 has live streaming coverage:

http://www.kusi.com/

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Be safe RUBBERLEGS!

Right now I am housing the following evacuees ~ 1 son ~ 1 daughter in law ~ her 3 fish ~ 1 ex-wife's sister ~ her white german shepard....had a friend call that said IF and only IF he can't find a hotel room for him and his wife and son....ordering pizza :jeno: tonight....

Stepping Out
10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Wildfires are scary! We were around 35 miles from the southern end of the Okefenokee Swamp fires this spring, and we had smoke and ash falling all over the place. Even though the fires were serious, most of the affected area was woodland/swamp. There were a few evacuations, but only minor property loss. Our town housed a lot of the rescue workers. They'd go out at dawn, and wouldn't come back until sunset. Without their hardwork and dedication, the outcome may have been much worse. I pray for the firefighters, and for all those who've been evacuated..for their safety, and for their homes.

Gary: Sounds like you've got your hands full! ;) Please stay safe!

EZMONEY
10-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Joanne...we are surrounded by fires but TOTALLY SAFE! Prayers are needed for the others! Keep sending them gals!

Clydegirl
10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Stay safe everyone.

Gary hope you're not too near those fires.

stacylambert
10-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Hi Gary. We have somewhat of a full house too. We luckily just moved from san elijo hills out to buena creek on 10/10. Our friend/roommates' parents were evacuated from their home in olivenhein so they're staying here. Heard that earlier in the day san elijo was evacuated too. From looking at the map the evacuation area comes the whole way up to 78 so we're just outside of it. Pretty crazy. Everyone else in the house is sleeping but I'm pretty scared. I'm from Pittsburgh, we never had this crap! I'm really worried about how things might change overnight...

Jasmine31
10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Well I have family in whittier and pomona and we called and they have ashes on their cars! I heard that lake arrowhead is burning now too and I have an ex sis in law and her dh and 2 kids and her dad, he is in crestline and she is in lake gregory. I haven't heard back from them yet but I am sure they are safe.

This is terrible, 7 ciountys are on emergency alert.

We live in victorville area and my kids said yesterday there may be no school today. I need to call at 7:00.

Keep praying everyone!

Jasmine31
10-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Ezmoney:

That is so nice of you to let everyone stay!

Jasmine31
10-23-2007, 10:56 AM
ezmoney:
MY nephew is having too hard a time breathing to do homework....but he thinks he could struggle through some skateboarding..

:rofl: Sounds about right!

junebug41

Word of the wise, when they tell you to leave, leave. I'll be praying for everyone affected and hoping that you are all safe! I know that even if you aren't in an evacuated area, the smoke can be overwhelming!

Exactly, LEAVE! I read yesterday that some people I think it was in lake arrowhead, basically they are spending all their attention on rescuing people who didn't leave quick enough instead of fighting fires!!

alinnell
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
As I slowly hear word from friends, relatives and acquaintances, I start to think of other people that live in the affected areas. It's just devastating to think that so many people will be displaced.

Jasmine31
10-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah last I heard it was 250,000 evacuated!

EZMONEY
10-23-2007, 11:08 AM
As of this morning over 300,000 evacuated plus more keep being added as the fires burn. It is, obviously, very hard to breath here with all the smoke. It was pretty clear by me yesterday but now the winds have moved the bad air our way.

The fire closest to me is still burning but surrounded ~ no danger here.

The fire that caused evacuation's of my son and DIL and ex-wife's sister is still growing strong but headed away from their homes...so far so good.

Jasmine ~ We are not gettin any info down here on the L.A. fires....everything on our stations is what is going on down here San Diego way.

STACY ~You have every right to be concerned dear. With all the fields around your new area and trees....I think the biggest fear that we have now though is the fact that all the fire fighters are BUSY! In case something happens in our areas. I know the air is full of smoke by you too!

Thank you all for your concerns and prayers for the victims.

Jasmine31
10-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah we don't have cable so any info I get is from cnn.com.

rubberlegs
10-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I forgot to tell you about my other sister - she's somewhere on a boat and her husband is in Arizona - her house burned down in Poway. From the description given on the news, I think another friend of mine's house burned down. She lives on Lake Hodges close to the boat ramp and they said there was a fire starting at the ramp and fanning out. I know a ton of people in Poway/Escondido/San Marcos who have evacuated. Eek! As for me, I'm not evacuating yet. I'm packed, but there's not much chance of my having to evacuate unless things took a dramatic turn for the worse. The Coronado fire is contained, and the Lake Hodges/San Pasqual/Valley Center fires would have to eat up all Escondido to get to me. Unless a power line falls...

Jasmine31
10-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Rubberlegs I am sorry to hear about your sis' and friends home. :(

EZMONEY
10-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear of your sister and friend's loss VANESSA.

The ashes are pretty thick now on our house and yard....little black footprints, across our beige carpet, from our golden's and our "evacuee"...keeping them in as much as possible, but they still have to go potty from time to time...plus my neighbor has evacuee's with him and their dogs...mine want to out in the back yard to "visit"...BARK!!

EZMONEY
10-23-2007, 11:58 AM
NELIE ~ One of the reasons I don't know more about the Coronado fire (near your mom) is that the news station just said they cannot get news crews to that fire or the Fallbrook fire because of road closures....I-15, etc.

melekalikimaka
10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I am adding my prayers for those directly affected by this unbelievable fire, and will pray for their families and friends as well. I have a cousin out in San Diego who is about a week away from moving out of state. I know her house was full of packed boxes and another aunt was moving in. My uncle from Guam is also out in the San Diego area currently undergoing tests for cancer at UCLA. I know it can't be easy for him to be so far away from home and having to commute in such a large city, much less with all the chaos going on with the fire and smoke.

nelie
10-23-2007, 04:51 PM
I am a bit sad. One of the dogs I grew up around who was around 15 years old died this morning related to the smoke and ash. She was a sweet dog (although she did have her mean side) and she always remembered me after I moved away. She was old and it was just all too much for her.

alinnell
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh, nelie, that's so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

NJGIRLinVA
10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I am on the other side of the country but my eyes tear up when I see the news. My prayers are with everyone in CA. Stay safe..

cbmare
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh Nelie, how sad.

Does anyone have any news about Newport Beach? I have a niece there.

alinnell
10-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Newport beach is Orange County which is north of the devastating San Diego fires. The only fire near there is in Irvine--much farther inland. I would imagine your niece is fine (could be smoky, though).

cbmare
10-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Allison. There are just so many fires down there that it's hard to keep up.

What ever happened to that fire that started July 4th? It went for months!

EZMONEY
10-23-2007, 07:28 PM

What ever happened to that fire that started July 4th? It went for months!

That's funny MARE because my family was just talking about that one a couple of hours ago. It is up north east of us, about 250+ miles, but none of us can remember hearing anything on it for a few months.

NELIE sorry about the dog. Mine seem to be OK, I am keeping them in of course, but my evacuee white german shepard is 10 years old and seems to be having more trouble breathing.

Camp Pendelton has fires on it now I guess....getting worse in some areas ~ better in others.

We took a break...my daughter and :p son in law :p came up from San Diego...they wanted to join in the EVACUEE PARTY...2 nieces are here too....:carrot: PARTY ON!....X-BOX....movies and scrabble....as for me...I go outside and water the plants and draw pictures in the ashes ;)

bargoo
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
My grandson . his girl friend. her brother and her mother and a cat have all been evacuated from Rancho Bernardo they are safe in a hotel in San Juan Capoistrano, but Danielle fully expects to lose her home in R.B.Thank God they are all safe.

alinnell
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I saw a listing of the destroyed homes in San Diego area--there were an awful lot of addresses in Rancho Bernardo. It's very sad.

mandalinn82
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Bargoo - I have a friend who was also evacuated from Rancho Bernardo. She is safe at a Motel 6 in Carlsbad. She is a photographer and the images she is sending from her hotel window are just amazingly scary.

I'm adding your family to my "please save these houses" thoughts list.

bargoo
10-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for thoughts and prayers, my grandson lives in San Diego but wasn't able to get from Rancho Bernardo to his place because the roads were closed.They packed everything they could in 4 cars and just took off the nearest place they could find was about 50 miles away.They are hoping that by tomorrow they will be able to get back home.

ennay
10-23-2007, 08:00 PM
My sister (San Diego) started packing this morning. Last night she thought she was totally out of danger, this morning they started evacuating the next neighborhood towards the fire, if it spreads more in her direction her neighborhood is next.

alinnell
10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Bargoo~here is the website with the addresses of the destroyed homes. It is in no way complete--it is from what News Channel 8 in San Diego has heard from their reporters in the area:

http://www.cbs8.com/misc/fires_oct_07/homes_destroyed.html

mandalinn82
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Alinnell -thank you! My friend's house isn't on there as far as I can tell.

alinnell
10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Amanda~I'm pretty sure this list is only partial, but it does help. We know of a house in Rancho Santa Fe that is a prime target for fire due to it's location next to a huge gully full of dry brush--several houses down the street are listed as destroyed, but not this one.

rubberlegs
10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
The Coronado Hills fire is OUT. San Elijo Hills was letting evacuees go back in. The fire around my friend's house at Lake Hodges isn't going to affect her after all, as long as stray embers don't get her.

nelie
10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh my,
I found the google maps with the evacuation and fires on it. It is so sad.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=114250687465160386813.00043d08ac31fe3357571

EZMONEY
10-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Well as of this morning some things better....some not.

Many mandatroy evacuations have been lifted and folks are heading home but more evacuations have gone into effect this morning.

A fire close to me (we are still in no danger) on Camp Pendelton has shut down I-5 in Oceanside, which is really going to screw up the commute....what's new.

The fire, that forced my son out, is growing and more areas of evacuation were announced this morning for that one. The fire, although starting near his home and growing rapidly, is moving away from his place.

For those folks that know our area ~ The towns Julian and Bonsall and Palomar Montain are now under mandatory evacuation because of their fires.

The winds hit 100 miles an hour in some spots last night.

Paper says over one million people forced to evacuate in southern California.

We are still being drenched in smoke and ash....but we are the lucky ones!

Asking for prayers for not only the people but for our AWESOME FIREFIGHTERS!

Jasmine31
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Morning everyone. Well we live in Victorville and we can see the mountain that is Lake Gregory from a few blocks away on fire. That is how big it is. We drove about 20 miles that way to go to smart n final and wow. Got ahold of my (ex) sis in law and they live in Twin Peaks and her dad in Crestline. They were all mandatory evacuated and are down the hill safe. Thank the Lord.

I had heard that allegedly the mountain fire was caused by two electric poles coolapsing and Joe heard something about a car that was on fire and started one, not sure. She thinks this is all arson and on purpose. She said that is what they do, go start one BIG one and all resources are pulled there, then start several small ones.

I mean come on people, we have 20 different fires going! In quite a few different areas. I went on rimoftheworld.net last nite and there was an arsonist that was caught. I don't know if they were just a copy cat after everything started or what.

She also said that this happened on the same day in the mountains as it did last time!

nelie
10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Jasmine,

A few years ago in San Diego, there was a protest group that protested new constructions? or something like that, they went around burning down brand new homes. I am unsure what their motive was, maybe they believe San Diego was overcrowded but it only made the housing situation worse. I can't imagine what the housing situation will be like after all this clears up.

EZMONEY
10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Jasmine, a couple of days ago, some boys that were sent home from San Ysidro high school (along with all students because of the fire down there), at the border, were caught starting a fire!

alinnell
10-24-2007, 01:19 PM
As I understand it, the fire near Irvine has been determined to be arson. Others were accidental--a construction crew started one and I think I heard a car started another. With the brush as dry as it is, a very small accident can cause an inferno and then the winds just make it all that much worse.

nelie
10-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Where is the fire in Irvine? I went to college in Irvine.

alinnell
10-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Where is the fire in Irvine? I went to college in Irvine.

They're calling it the Santiago fire, it's in Silverado canyon and Santiago canyons and has crossed the 241 toward Portola.

Jasmine31
10-24-2007, 03:26 PM
nelie:

Jasmine,

A few years ago in San Diego, there was a protest group that protested new constructions? or something like that, they went around burning down brand new homes. I am unsure what their motive was, maybe they believe San Diego was overcrowded but it only made the housing situation worse. I can't imagine what the housing situation will be like after all this clears up.

That is terrible!! Yeah home prices were going down, I have no clue what will happen now.

EZMONEY:

Jasmine, a couple of days ago, some boys that were sent home from San Ysidro high school (along with all students because of the fire down there), at the border, were caught starting a fire!

What has gotten into everybody? This is insane!

Suspected Arsonist Detained by San Bernardino Police (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=5723992)

Hesperia, near my town! uggghhhhh

alinnell

As I understand it, the fire near Irvine has been determined to be arson. Others were accidental--a construction crew started one and I think I heard a car started another. With the brush as dry as it is, a very small accident can cause an inferno and then the winds just make it all that much worse.

While I think some may be accidental, I think there are unfortunately alot of evil people out there trying to start more.

Jasmine31
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Photos of Fire ravaged block (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/24/fire.wildfire.ca/index.html#cnnSTCPhoto)

WOW!!!! Look at # 4

rubberlegs
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Don't know about the rest of CA, but in San Diego there is ONE BILLION DOLLARS worth of damage already with minimal containment. :(

bargoo
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
UPDATE re FIRE

My grandson and girlfriend were able to return to their homes today. All is well. The biggest concern was Daniele's Rancho Bernardo home, the fire missed her place. We are all so grateful , but are still concerned for those who have been hit so hard.

midwife
10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
It's so so sad.

I can't believe how devastating it is.....

EZMONEY
10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Things are better today.....fires are being contained....smoke and ash at my house is pretty nasty this morning....the winds are blowing but less.....the link has a pretty informative map.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21466781/from/ET/

nelie
10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
My parents have been working at an evacuation site and they say it is amazing how much support is coming from the community. They have horses, chickens, dogs, cats and other animals and the animal shelter has people helping with those. Restaurants and grocery stores are donating tons of food. Other donations have come in from various locations to take care of the animals and provide necessities for the evacuees. The Red Cross is working hard trying to organize everything and there are a lot of work being done.

I know some people are able to go back to their homes, if their homes are there but there are many that are still in a center waiting to see what happens.

EZMONEY
10-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Two of my evacuees just headed home...my son and dauhgter in law...I still have one here..my ex-sister in law's german shephard....all is good!

There has been tremendous support.

There have also been people arrested for looting and people arrested for taking "donated" items and selling them....freakin' amazing!

EZMONEY
10-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Roads are open....fire danger down....going to work this morning!

My ex-sister in law is still one of the few evacuees...and her german shepard.

Air quality still bad...through the week-end

Things are better....the healing begins for many ~ My prayers go out to them.

alinnell
10-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Those of us on the other side of the mountain are beginning to experience the smoky skies from the fire. I'm not complaining, though--I know that it's the onshore flow that is bringing the smoke our way but it is also the onshore flow that ended the Santa Ana winds and brought the cooler temperatures and humidity that is needed to fight the fires.

We found out yesterday that the huge house in Rancho Santa Fe we built survived with minimal damage. I guess 3 windows blew out and there is a little damage here and there but relatively little compared to the house across the street that was destroyed. Down the street, there were a dozen homes destroyed.

I also found out that my cousins, prior to moving to Toronto, bought a place in Lake Arrowhead for their retirement. They don't know yet if it survived.

So much destruction. It's so sad.

cbmare
10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm so grateful that all of you So Cal posters are OK. I can't help but have tears in my eyes for all of you down there.

God be with the rescue workers.

nelie
10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
My mom returned to work today, my stepfather is still working at the evacuation center and my mom expects to go there after work. There are still many evacuees there.

cbmare
10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
My mom returned to work today, my stepfather is still working at the evacuation center and my mom expects to go there after work. There are still many evacuees there.

Bless your mom and stepfather for their kind hearts. Bless all the volunteers, too.

cbmare
10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
This is going to be an insurance nightmare for a lot of those people. If they can prove that there was arson in some of it, then the insurance companies will have to pay. If it is a natural disaster, then they will probably balk.

Wonder if all our premiums will go through the roof the way the rates for people in Fla and all along the Gulf Coast have gone.

alinnell
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
On another forum I received a really, really good idea for insurance (one that we'd all benefit from).

Using your digital camera, take photos of each and every room to document what you have. After putting the photos on your computer, buy a USB storage device (for as little as $45 you can get 4 Gigs of storage) and transfer all the photos to the USB device.

Then, if you have a scanner, scan all important documents and transfer copies to the USB device. If you keep that USB storage device in a safe place you'll have backup for insurance in case of disaster. If you don't have a scanner, you could take digital photos of each document, but it wouldn't be as legible IMO.

I'm going to work on this this weekend! No one knows when the "big one" will hit (I live 6 miles from the San Andreas fault).