WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 10-21-2007, 10:38 PM   #1  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Default how do you count your fruits? 2 pts = 2 fruits?

Here's my question, a banana is 2 pts. does that count as two servings of fruit? I usually count it as one serving, but then I'm thinking maybe it's two...some days it's hard to get all those fruits and veggies in.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:30 PM   #2  
100 pound looser!!

Default Banana

Hi there -- your banana question -- 1 banana (medium) is counted as 1 fruit, but it's 2 points. Hope this helps.
Chickieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I was attending meetings, the leader said one medium to large banana was two servings of fruit. Now that I am using diabetic exchanges, one banana is also considered 2 servings.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

1/2 a cup of fruit or 100% fruit juice is 1 serving. A small piece of fruit such as an apple or orange (about the size of an average woman's fist) is 1 fruit.

Just because it is 2 points does not always mean it can be a 2 fruit servings.

Points are not equivalent to servings.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #5  
100 pound looser!!

Default Banana points

On page 86 of book 1 (Eat Wisley) Weight Watchers TurnAround plan, in the second column, it says: Banana, 1 (7-9" long) 2 (points)

That indicates to me that it's 1 fruit serving that counts as 2 points. I'll ask my WW leader on Wednesday -- if she says anything different, I'll let you know.
Chickieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #6  

http://www.dolenutrition.com/article...spx?RecId=1270

I think this article addresses the issue pretty well. It's not based on Weight Watcher's, but on the USDA recommended servings/serving sizes for fruits and vegetables. However, since Weight Watchers also based their recommendations on USDA recommendations and servings, the information should apply as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #7  

Since the USDA has increased their recommendation from "5 a day" to 9 - 13 I wonder if Weight Watchers will follow suit and increase their recommendation to match the new USDA recommendations.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Since the USDA has increased their recommendation from "5 a day" to 9 - 13 I wonder if Weight Watchers will follow suit and increase their recommendation to match the new USDA recommendations.
Since W/W has strived to have us go for 1 cup servings based on points <most fruits are 1 point for 1 cup and that is 2 servings> (and that is 2 veggie and fruit servings except for leafy veggies) they have already been trying for us to get 10 servings a day.
Kelly_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #9  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

thanks for all the info and ideas. I'll just keep trying to eat as many fruits and veggies as I can. Sometimes it's easier to get in the fruits than the veggies. Right now apples are really good.

thanks again!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 AM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb The Poor Maligned Nana

"Back in the Old Days" when a person counted calories ONLY 1/2 of a medium banana was considered one serving. Banana's glycemic index rises the riper they get! I didn't know that until recently. Banana's are considered a good carb with high glycemic index (see above). If you are diabetic, it would not be the best choice for you depending on what else you ate that day since it raises your blood sugar more than other fruits. It is a good choice for you if you follow Volumetrics. Bananas are a great source of potassium and fiber.

Again, checking any portion guidelines will show that what we think is one serving can actually be two. One medium banana (going back to the old days of plain calorie counting) was considered TWO servings of fruit even back then. Just like 1/2 c. of orange juice is considered ONE serving of fruit. And think of how it is served in most restaurants.

The main thing is that we all need to get back to relearning what "normal" portion sizes are. They are definitely NOT in restaurants and for those of us with a weight issue weren't for us in the past.

Consider this: 1/2 c. unsweetened orange juice, 1 med. banana and 1 med. apple would satisfy 4 servings of fruit in one day. That would be in your three meals and/or a snack.

Also consider this: 1 c. of green vegetables and 1 large baked potato are also 4 servings of vegetables for one day.

So, you have already satisfied 8 servings of both fruit and vegetables quite easily. If you added a sliced tomato at lunch and 1 medium carrot for an additional snack you have increased that to 10-11 servings.

I don't think this is difficult to do at all each day. What do you think?
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 AM   #11  

Some days I have a hard time getting veggies in, but most days I very easily get in 12 servings or more (if I go too much higher than that my colitis/IBS acts up). Mostly the difference lies in how much advanced planning and prep I've done, and how many hours I spend outside the house.

I don't really care for bananas that much. Once in a while I get a craving, but I'll only buy 2 or 3 bananas (hubby hates them and calls them satan fruit). When they're not too expensive, I like to buy "fingerling" bananas. They're much smaller about the size of a man's thumb. I think they have a milder taste than the regular bananas, and they're just so cute. I never know how to count them though. One day I should buy them when I've got at least one regular banana in the house to compare them weight for weight. My guess would be that 2 or 3 fingerlings would be 1 serving or equivalent to half a regular banana.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #12  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

you know, I never count potatoes as veggies, I don't know why, but I guess with the carbs, it doesn't occur to me.

I like bananas but like most people am particular about the ripeness. It seems like some people like them really green (not me) some like them really ripe (again not me) I only like 'em yellow and with little or no brown spots. Although the really ripe ones are great to add in cake or muffins.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #13  

I find it quite easy to get in the fruits I eat the little dole fruit cups they are 1point each.
Misery Chick is offline   Reply With Quote