Whole Foods Lifestyle - Suggestions for Green Tomatoes

View Full Version : Suggestions for Green Tomatoes

luja
10-19-2007, 11:53 PM
I have tons of unripe tomatoes still on the plants. It's amazing they haven't frozen yet, so what can I do with them besides fried green tomatoes? I hate to waste all of that food!

BillBlueEyes
10-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Green tomato pickle relish. I just loved it as a kid, but no one I know makes it any more.

Here's one site with some recipies.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,green_tomato_pickles,FF.html

Good luck.

XXXXXXX 7 XXX|||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 10. 32 to go. Keep going!

Stinger
10-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Green tomato pickle relish. I just loved it as a kid, but no one I know makes it any more.FONT]

I was just wondering what I would do with all my green tomatoes myself when I found a receipe for relish. Think I'll try this one

BlueToBlue
11-24-2008, 04:55 AM
This recipe for Cheesy Polenta-Green Tomato Gratin (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1087087) came out great. I used chicken broth instead of milk for the polenta, to cut the calories a bit, and didn't miss the milk at all. If you layered in some shredded cooked chicken, cooked shrimp, or cooked ground beef, you could make a meal out of it.

And here is one of my favorite homemade salsa recipes. I make this with my green tomatoes every year and it is a big hit.

Green Tomato Salsa

2 lbs green tomatoes, chopped (no need to peel them) (should be about 5 cups)
5 oz long green chilies (like Anaheim chilies) or green or red bell peppers (about 3 chilies or one bell pepper), finely diced
1 oz jalapeno chilies (about 1 chili), minced
10 oz onions (about 2 medium), diced
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp cumin or more to taste
2 tbsp cilantro
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until it is the consistency you like for your salsa.

This recipe makes about 5 cups of salsa and comes in at around 5 calories or less per tbsp. If you are going to can the salsa, use bottled lime juice (for the preservatives they add to it) and vinegar that is at least 5% acidic. You need to process it for 20 min in a boiling water canner. If you don't want to can it, you can freeze it or just give the extra away. It seems to keep for quite a while in the fridge. I've had open jars in there for at least a month or longer and haven't had problems with it going bad.