Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #1  

Default Exercise at home

I have started healthy eating and I want to help weight loss with exercise but I dont want to join the gym as its too expensive so what could I do at home?

I was doing an exerise DVD but my floor is really hard and really hurt my ankles

I was thinking a lateral thigh trainer or trampoline what do you think? I am also paranoid about getting big thigh muscles because my legs are already fat and I want them slimmer

Last edited by KarieH; 10-18-2007 at 12:25 PM.
KarieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #2  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Maybe you could try some low-impact DVDs and invest in a floor mat? That might be something to try before investing in a large piece of equipment.

I know my aunt is very heavy and has two bad knees and has had great success with the Walk Away the Pounds system. That might be something to look into!

As for bigger thighs, there is a big difference between fat and muscle. If you develop those muscles, it's going to look better underneath fat than just icky untrained muscles.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

I don't know where you are (it's warm here in TX, but is getting colder in other places), but walking with a pedometer outside is an easy, gentle way to lose weight. We're supposed to walk 10,000 steps a day, but I'm having trouble getting to 8,000 right now!

Wal-Mart has lots of inexpensive equipment (yoga mats, exercise balls, etc.) and some of it comes with a workout DVD included.

Or Half-Price Books might have some workout videos.

Also, if you're in a larger town, check around at ALL the gyms. Mine is a smaller women's gym and it's only $17/month. I know other gyms in the area that run $30-150 a month, which is definitely not in my budget. Perhaps there is a gym you haven't found yet that is much cheaper?

Way to go with starting to eat healthier!!
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If your ceiling height will allow for it, trampolines are great exercise. The thigh trainer though targets just the specific area...I'd steer clear and go for more all over workouts. The Walk Away the Pounds videos are very good, and it's basically just walking, so nothing high impact. Hoola hoops are cheap, and a good workout, a body ball and some hand weights are also some cheap but good investments
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #5  
banned

I suggest that you try yoga... its a great exercise and you can get a mat so you won't have to be directly on the floor..
<--linkosuction-->
crunchy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #6  

I am in England so its getting pretty cold here now and I couldn't find any WATP videos here.

I really have no idea what you are supposed to do with an exercise ball and dont really see how they are effective.

I got Salsasize and thats pretty low impact but I get bored doing low impact ones and hurt my ankles doing high impact ones
Old 10-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #7  

Also I want to tone up my muscles but really dont know where to start with this, I was thinking of getting these weights.. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bdumbells.htm
But dont know if these would be useful? And they would only help with arm muscles
I have the rosemary connely salsa and tone dvd.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #8  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

I searched amazon.co.uk and I found quite a few WATP dvds, but I'm not sure if buying online is an option for you or not.

Exercise balls really are neat tools. They help you improve your core strength and stability, and they are what I use to do crunches on. Because of my weight and a bad knee, it's hard for me to get on the floor and do them, but the ball makes it a lot easier.

They're also good for stretching out leg muscles. That's how I stretch in the morning, actually. While I'm eating my breakfast, I prop my legs up on my ball and just let them stretch out.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Or, you can order them directly: http://www.walkawaythepounds.com/

You can use a body ball to do many exercises, but just using it as a replacement for your desk chair will help work muscles for balance without actually exercising.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #10  

A ball wouldnt really be conveniant as I would have no where to put it and US dvds wouldnt work on my DVD player.

I am thinking about a mini trampoline although they take up a lot of space