100 lb. Club - Getting RID of water!!

View Full Version : Getting RID of water!!

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 05:30 AM
Okay, y'all.....I'm SICK of this water retention problem! I know I'm still losing because #1 I'm sticking to my plan and eating appropriate calories, exercising daily, etc., and #2 my measurements are showing it. However, the scales and my hands and feet are messing with me! The scales keep bouncing around the same .6 lb and my hands and feet are puffy and tender.

I try to reduce the sodium in every way in my diet, but I'm obviously missing a lot. So, what have you found to be good ways of lowering your salt intake and/or getting rid of the extra fluid without diuretics and without messing up your electrolytes?

Thanks in advance!

Gale02
10-18-2007, 05:47 AM
I know it sounds weird, but when I'm retaining water the only thing that gets rid of it is to drink MORE water... a lot more. I usually up my intake from 80oz/day to 100oz/day and that takes care of it within a week or so.

hellokitty81668
10-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Hi,
I don't know of anything that can help, but I am sure you will eventually overcome this. good luck.
cheryl

JayEll
10-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I would agree--drink more water! 8 to 10 glasses a day! Don't worry about cutting salt--that's probably not the problem unless you eat a LOT of salty foods. Drinking more water should help you NOT retain water, if your body is healthy.

If the swelling in your hands and feet continues, you should see your doctor.

Jay

PeggyP
10-18-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree...you might want to drink more water. When I drink at least 100 oz a day, I don't retain it!!! Strange, huh? Usually it's a big problem with me. I also limit my diet drinks to one a day. The water also helps with hunger issues, too.
Hope this helps!

Supersub
10-18-2007, 08:09 AM
I used to have swollen feet and ankles all the time. Since I started watching what I eat they've gone away. I watch the sodium and I drink water all day long. I gave up the diet coke too. It wasn't doing me any favors.

Drink A LOT!

Also, you might want to check with your doctor. Blood clots can cause weird swelling too.

wifey bullseye
10-18-2007, 08:21 AM
i have been gaining weight like MAD since my dr changed my b.c. precription, :?: maybe it's water weight? i can't even wear my wedding ring at night any more :(. i've been drinking water, but maybe its not enough. i think today, i'll keep my empty water bottles and track how much i've actually been drinking and change from there. i know that its not a soda-issue...i was complimented (in a strange sort of way) when a co-worker asked me if i drink sodas. it let me know i was doing something right. :carrot:

thanks for the motivation today!

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks much!! I do go to the doctor regularly (hypothyroidism) and everything always checks out fine. I am also a medical transcriptionist who types for cardiologists and vascular doctors who are constantly dealing with water retention issues. However, I don't have the ailments (thankfully) that they are dealing with in these patients so the scenarios don't apply to me....so that is why I thought it might be a sodium issue, though I do try to eliminate it as much as possible in the foods I prepare.

I definitely don't drink 100 oz of water a day, probably not even 80. I'm going to TRY to do this and see how it goes. Unfortunately, drinking too much water makes me nauseated! It is a catch 22 isn't it?

Thanks again. I'm going to see how your suggestions work for me and will post an update in about a week on this issue. Anyone else have ideas feel free to pass them on! I'm so tired of this issue, as it affects the scale and THAT affects my mental state. :lol:

Schmoodle
10-18-2007, 08:42 AM
guzzling water makes me feel sick sometimes too. I usually can get in 6 glasses/day, but more makes me feel like I'm really pushing it down. Adding a squeeze of lemon or lime helps, and I like the sparkling waters too (unsweetened, of course). They don't seem to make me sick. Herbal teas are good and they count towards water. Same with broth or bouillon.

synger
10-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Guzzling water can make me nauseated too. I have a big water glass, and it sits next to me at my desk. I sip all day long. Never guzzle. It gets to be part of my day (and if I'm carrying it from meeting to meeting, and it doesn't go down, I know I need to drink more).

I agree that part of hte cure I've found for water retention is to drink more water. I also cut back on carbs and alcohol during those times, which also seems to help. Salt isn't that much of an issue for me.

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Great points! I don't guzzle because I'm afraid none of it would stay down :( I think I'm going to go to the store tonight and get a jug that has the ounces marked on it - fill it up to what I need and make it a goal to get that down every day. :D I don't drink alcohol, so that isn't a problem. I do think the herbal teas would be beneficial in more ways than being a diuretic...think I will have to check those out too. ;) Thanks so much!!!

JayEll
10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Another vote for not guzzling. It's not necessary to drink all your water at once. Sipping is good, as long as you don't forget to do it. Also, adding lemon wedges or lime wedges to the water helps a lot!

Jay

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Jay, I wish I DID like lemon or lime in the water! My husband loves it, I cannot stand it! LOL! I do think maybe the herbal teas might help (the flavored ones). Not sure yet. I'm going to get some tonight and see if that helps. I love Ice Tea (I drink decaf) and could drink it all day but I don't want to not have plain water either so I try to limit even the ice tea. Thanks for the input! I'm hoping these things will do the trick for me. :)

xtrisaratops
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
I've always been a big water retainer, ever since I was little. I find that the more water I drink, the less of an issue I have with it.

I try to limit the sugary drinks I consume, like juices. We always have them on-hand because we have temporary custody of my 3 1/2 year old niece. If I absolutely have to have some juice, I dilute it WAY down with water.

I've also been going to the gym with my mom for the past few months, and I've noticed that for a few days after I do weights, I'm up a few pounds due to water retention. I try not to worry too much about it.

GirlyGirlSebas
10-18-2007, 10:55 AM
I do have big issues with water retention. Unfortunately, mine is related to my hormone therapy. As women, our bodies do go through hormone changes about once every 7 years. Maybe, this is your 7 year time?

wifey bullseye
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
i work at a hotel in daytona beach and last week we had a 'boil water alert'. our office purchased 12 24-bottle cases of water for distribution to the guests. an hour after we did that, they released the alert! :) haha!

anyways, now we have all this 'free' water in the office. i work a twelve hour shift today, and have determined that i will drink one bottle an hour. i started at 8:00, its almost 11:00 and i'm almost through with bottle #3. it's amazing how fast time flies when you're measuring it by bottles of water! :dizzy:

i'm feeling full...not really nauscious (?)...but definitely like i'm floating...

my co-workers are wondering if going to the bathroom today is my way of getting out of work! ;) Haha!

synger
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I find that when I have not been drinking a lot of water, and I start making a conscious effort to do so, I run to the bathroom a lot the first couple of days. Then my body adjusts somehow, and I return to my normal bathroom schedule. I do find that if I go from drinking a lot to drinking only a little, my thirst kicks in much more than it used to.

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 11:12 AM
I do have big issues with water retention. Unfortunately, mine is related to my hormone therapy. As women, our bodies do go through hormone changes about once every 7 years. Maybe, this is your 7 year time?

That is an interesting question! Since I get my blood work done regularly for my thyroid, I would think they would mention it if I did have any abnormalities since I get the whole series of blood tests each time. I am going to see the Dr. next week. I will be sure to ask her about this. Thanks for mentioning it.

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
I find that when I have not been drinking a lot of water, and I start making a conscious effort to do so, I run to the bathroom a lot the first couple of days. Then my body adjusts somehow, and I return to my normal bathroom schedule. I do find that if I go from drinking a lot to drinking only a little, my thirst kicks in much more than it used to.

Funny that you mention thirst....I have noticed I'm quite thirsty real often lately. I'm thinking you all have pinpointed my problem for me. I'm surprised at myself for #1 not drinking enough and #2 not seeing the problem myself since I'm very aware of what water can do for me. :?: Guess this is a classic case of "can't see the forest for the trees" syndrome. ;)

Jen415
10-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I retain water too....I have adema in my left leg due to that leaky heart valve thing I've got, so I am on a prescription diuretic. Some days I need an extra boost to keep the swelling down. Rather than have the doc up my prescription, I use natural methods:

--MORE water ( I usually drink about 96-100 oz a day, with 64 oz before noon--I am in the potty about every 30 60 minutes!)
--adding lemon juice to my water
--adding cranberry juice to my water
--watching my sodium and carb intake
--eating water-rich food (melon, apple, strawberries, etc)

Today is my weigh-in at Jenny Craig, so I am downing my water with a splash of cranberry juice today.

Hope this helps, Ritzy!

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Wow, Jen415 - what a thing to deal with (I type about this condition every single day). It sounds like you have a great plan to work through it. I love the idea of adding cranberry juice! I never thought of that! I don't care for lemon or lime but I think cranberry would be good. I will have to try that! What and where do you purchase it?

Thanks!!!

Lyn2007
10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
You mention that you love iced tea and could drink it all day. This is so me! I have used this to my advantage for water. In the summer, I brew Sun Tea every few days (I used either Lipton decaf bags or Bigelow green tea or Celestial Seasonings Mandarin orange decaf green tea, or a mixture). I drink that as water all day long, over ice, which melts and adds more water. In winter I brew 2 or 3 cups of tea a day and then pour it over ice when it cools and drink that. If you only like it sweet you can add a tsp of sugar to the glass and then cut back later. If you can dilute your tea with half water you are getting the taste of tea but lots more water too.

Lyn
TWENTY FOUR pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Lyn, those are excellent ideas!! Thanks so much!!

wifey bullseye
10-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah...and i was super over-ambitious. its now the 11th hour of work, and i just opened bottle #6. Haha...the first 4 were easy! At least I can say that I drank 6L in 12 hours...not too shabby. ;)

FresnoBeeDude
10-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I have a somewhat weird thing happen to me. One day at work I logged off the computer several times to urinate. I got written up after that. I explained to HR that urinating is part of the weight loss process. The write-up still stuck. I told her I would get a Dr's note giving me permission to pee. When I told my Dr, and nurse I needed such a note, they were in dis-believe. The nurse reminded me that urinating was a diabetes thing as well. So, when presented with the Dr's note, HR questioned on "how long will this last" (since it didn't have a beginning/ending date). I was told to get FMLA papers filled out!

The nurse reluctantly did this for me. Because of this, anyone with a medical problem (actually all the pregnant ladies, and then some) have all gotten Dr's notes to go pee. I took advantage of my situation, and decided to start GUZZLING (some people in this thread are against this...). I learned that this guzzling will help fill up my stomach, thus making me full. 2 hrs after my 1st drink I am bathroom-bound! I now go several times a day.

Since the note didn't go into detail, meaning going #1, or #2, I simply log off whenever/whatever I have to go.

Work cannot say anything about my 74oz of water I guzzle within 4 hrs. Nor can they say anything about the 34oz coffee I am drinking throughout the shift.

To think I used to be more productive in the past when I visited the john a couple times!

Lovely
10-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Fresno - I think it sucks that your job frowns upon you using the bathroom even when it's a clear medical condition. It's the bathroom for pete's sake! Everyone has to go sooner or later >_< I'm very "stick to the man" sometimes so for the moment I applaud your efforts to use the bathroom as much as possible ;)

Jen415
10-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Wow, Jen415 - what a thing to deal with (I type about this condition every single day). It sounds like you have a great plan to work through it. I love the idea of adding cranberry juice! I never thought of that! I don't care for lemon or lime but I think cranberry would be good. I will have to try that! What and where do you purchase it?

Thanks!!!

Yeah, the adema is not fun--it affects my foot and ankle mostly. Trying to find shoes that fit one skinny foot and one chubby foot is a bear!! I usually have to go with lace-up shoes....not the most attractive thing, but they've got an issue with me being barefoot at work. Go figure!

You can use any cranberry juice, as long as it is 100% juice. (I used a drink I THOUGHT was 100%, but it did not do the trick like 100% does.) I usually put in 1/4 cup to my 32 oz water jug at work.

Let me know how it works for ya!

synger
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I wear the lace-up shoes, too. Thank God for Easy Spirit. I LOVE their shoes. I tell my husband "I wear granny shoes because I'm getting granny feet."

Jen415
10-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I wear the lace-up shoes, too. Thank God for Easy Spirit. I LOVE their shoes. I tell my husband "I wear granny shoes because I'm getting granny feet."

"granny feet"....heh

RitzyFritz
10-23-2007, 04:19 AM
Well, I will have to admit the pure cranberry in the water doesn't taste very good (and I really don't want to use any sweeteners). Also, I'm a little discouraged this morning because the scales show me up 1.6 lbs after showing just a 0.6-lb loss the day before after doing everything "right" the previous week. I know it is not "fat" but still, I want that scale to move down and this water retention detour just isn't funny - especially when I'm in a Christmas Gift Contest!!!! :D Sigh.....guess life is like this...just when you get going good you have to take the long route instead of the freeway. ;)

AnnRue
10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Certain veggies are natural diuretics: Asparagus; brussle sprouts; cauliflower; broccoli. Last night I had brussle sprouts and was literally going every two hours. I kept running to my doctor thinking I had a UTI or some problem until she brought to my attention that veggies can cause that effect.

RitzyFritz
10-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Certain veggies are natural diuretics: Asparagus; brussle sprouts; cauliflower; broccoli. Last night I had brussle sprouts and was literally going every two hours. I kept running to my doctor thinking I had a UTI or some problem until she brought to my attention that veggies can cause that effect.

Unfortunately I absolutely despise asparagus and brussle sprouts! I do love cauliflower and broccoli, but I have been told not to overeat these because of my thyroid problems. :( Sounds like a catch 22 doesn't it? LOL!!

Thanks for the tips, however, because I'm sure plenty of others who can (or will) eat these foods will benefit from your sharing! :)

synger
10-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Not just asparagus and cruciferous vegetables. Parsley is a diuretic (make some tabbouleh this evening, and enjoy the parsley goodness!), as is celery (good in soup), and melon.

Also coffee and tea are diuretics, though the effect lessens the more used you are to drinking it (much like the caffeine effect).

In addition, some things help KEEP water, like excess carbs and alcohol. The day after a fondue dinner with wine I can tell.. the bread and the wine make my toes and ankles swell quite a bit.

So if you avoid things that make you retain water, and eat more things that help you get rid of it, and drink MORE water, and get moderate exercise to help your body move the water out, and adequate rest to help your body filter it... your swelling should go down soon.

RitzyFritz
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Not just asparagus and cruciferous vegetables. Parsley is a diuretic (make some tabbouleh this evening, and enjoy the parsley goodness!), as is celery (good in soup), and melon.

Also coffee and tea are diuretics, though the effect lessens the more used you are to drinking it (much like the caffeine effect).

In addition, some things help KEEP water, like excess carbs and alcohol. The day after a fondue dinner with wine I can tell.. the bread and the wine make my toes and ankles swell quite a bit.

So if you avoid things that make you retain water, and eat more things that help you get rid of it, and drink MORE water, and get moderate exercise to help your body move the water out, and adequate rest to help your body filter it... your swelling should go down soon.

Great points! Thanks much! I'm still not sure why I have had this long of a water retention phase. It is usually gone in 2 to 3 days. This time it has been going on for almost 3 weeks. :(

JayEll
10-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Um, ritzyfritzy, after 3 weeks it's not normal water retention... are you sure it's not that your weight has really gone up? Maybe you haven't been on your food plan as tightly as you think?

Jay

RitzyFritz
10-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Um, ritzyfritzy, after 3 weeks it's not normal water retention... are you sure it's not that your weight has really gone up? Maybe you haven't been on your food plan as tightly as you think?

Jay

Absolutely positive my dry weight hasn't gone up. I measure/count/journal everything. Exercise every day except one. Plus, I know how my feet and hands feel when I am not having water retention problems. Besides, how could one gain 1.6 lbs overnight? That is what happened to me from yesterday to today - as has been the case all week - fluctuations. I have no doubt it is water.

Cuter w Curves
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
If you are not into the taste of standard water... Try one of the flavoured Stevia.

*gawd I am starting to sound like a commercial!*

0 Cal, 0 fat, 0 chemical aspect like the standard flavoured water. Multiple flavours on the Sweet Leaf site.

RitzyFritz
10-23-2007, 04:08 PM
If you are not into the taste of standard water... Try one of the flavoured Stevia.

*gawd I am starting to sound like a commercial!*

0 Cal, 0 fat, 0 chemical aspect like the standard flavoured water. Multiple flavours on the Sweet Leaf site.

Thank you! I was just on their web site yesterday but was looking up something else. I didn't see these. I will have to try them!

KateB
03-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Here is my 2 cents.

Cucumbers also are a natural diuretic. I love them plain or in salads.

I have kicked artificial sweeteners to the curb!!! My morning oatmeal get 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar. I no longer sweeten my tea. I eat StoneyField farms organic yogurt. Yes it has more calories but I am still with in my range and feel much more satisfied. Overall since getting off artificail sweeteners I am more successful in losing weight, I feel better and I think food tastes better.

You might want to give this a shot!!

Beverlyjoy
03-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I've always heard that the more water you drink...the more diruetic effect it has. I've always heard that asparagus are a natural diruretic food.

Here's a link with a few ideas - but, I wouldn't think they would work better than lots of water.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4649.asp

blueyedlvrgirl
03-19-2008, 01:42 PM
It seems to me that when your body isn't getting enough water, it holds on to what it has, to prevent a "drought." If you drink plenty of water, your body knows there is plenty and has no reason to hold on to it. Just like with starvation mode, if your body doesn't know that there is enough food, it stores everything that you eat. Our bodies try to keep us alive. They don't like to be starving or dehydrated, if we help keep them happy, they will keep us happy!!!

Smiling_Sara
03-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I hear ya, it's aggravating when you work out and you come back weighing more than when you started. :dizzy: