Breakfast Ideas - Phase 1 - Sick of eggs? Try Ricotta Muffins

View Full Version : Sick of eggs? Try Ricotta Muffins

luvscoffee
10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Ok, so those of us that are starting on re-starting (thats me) Phase 1 might be getting sick of eggs. I read many posts of people wanting an alternative. There are many good alternatives in the recipe section and I have another one for you. I call them "ricotta muffins." They are completely fine for Phase 1

Ricotta Muffins
Heat oven to 400, spray a muffin pan.
Then, mix 2 cups ricotta (part skim has less sugar), 4 eggs, 6-8 packs splenda (depending on how sweet you prefer) and vanilla extract to taste.
Mix the ingredients and pour into muffin tin.
Bake 20- 30 min or more until toothpick comes out clean.

I put them in tupperware and heat up two of them for breakfast. This really helps break up the egg routine.

Serves:12, one muffin=one serving

luvscoffee
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry to confuse everyone. I shouldn't have said "non egg." There are still eggs in this, but it doesn't feel or taste like you are eating "just eggs."

beachgal
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Luvscoffee, how many "muffins" does this make? Thanks!

favepairobluejeans
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I made these tonight, but I was having a chocolate attack, so I stired in 2 T cocoa powder to the batter before baking. They turned out great. ( BTW, I got 12 muffins out of this recipe.) Also, I only used 4 packets of the Splenda, it was plenty sweet for me, but I didn't want them too sweet.

wifey bullseye
10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
We got 12 muffins too...and we used an extra egg. We also liked them - we added pumpkin spice...yum!

favepairobluejeans
10-25-2007, 07:09 PM
mmm, pumpkin spice sounds GOOD. Hey, has anybody baked these in a water bath? I'm wondering if they would come out cheesecake-ish that way? They were a little dry and I was tempted to butter them. ( I didn't).

KO
11-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I just made them with 4 pkts of splenda 2.5 t of cocoa a smidge of cinammon and had one Hot
gooood probably could have used another splenda pkt but still reall good!!

wifey bullseye
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
On Saturday, my hubby made these savory instead of sweet - we'll never go back to sweet!

he used onion, garlic, mushrooms, italian cheeses, and basil - oh my goodness! they're so good, we're making them for our family for Christmas brunch!

batina
11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
ok, so I made these this morning and I must have done something terribly wrong. :(:(:( But, how can you mess up this recipe? Mine tasted like a sponge. I guess I will give it another go and see. I love this sight and all the wonderful posts. I hope you are all having a good choice Monday.

wifey bullseye
11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
OK - first he sauteed a half an onion, 3 small cloves of garlic, and a "handful" of finely chopped mushrooms, with salt, pepper, and basil in a small amount of olive oil. then he chilled it by sticking it in the freezer for 10 minutes. (so that the heat from the veggies didn't pre-cook the eggs)

Then he mixed 2 cups of ricotta (we prefer the POLY-O, because its creamier than other brands we've tried) with 4 eggs, salt and pepper to taste, and more basil. He also blended in about 1/2 Shredded Italian Blend cheese and about a 1/4 (maybe a little less) of freshly grated Parmesian. Then he added the veggies.

We sprayed foil cups (soon to be silicone cups), and filled them with the gooey yumminess that would soon be breakfast. This filled all 12 cups in our muffin pan.

Don't forget to preheat your oven to 400 degrees - and then bake for 30-35 minutes.

(By the way - he is totally stoked that someone asked for his recipe! Way to boost his ego, girls!)

KO
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey trial and error!! I put in a TRUCKLOAD of vanilla I definitely needed more sweetener than i put in
Do you like coffee? I was thinking of trying some instant coffee in the mix
Also try topping it with some PB
and don't eat them cold!!

Bionic Beach Babe
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Girls: I love these Muffins...thanks for sharing the ideas...I made them sweet like some of you said but today I thought I would try the other way...I saute Onion, Red Bell Pepper, and Mushrooms...then cooled that in a cool bath (in a hurry) and added these Veggies to the recipe of the R. Cheese and 4 eggs...They are wonderful...I did cook them the whole 30 minutes because of the Veggies...Enjoy...and thanks again for sharing.

KO
01-07-2008, 04:09 PM
My favorite Nonegg breakfast is 1/2 cup of black beans 1/2 cup salsa and 1/4 cup shredded Lf cheese

Jenskihere
09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Just made this last night. Added a little orange extract and a bit of SF orange jello mix. Perfect for morning!

Thicky Thick Girl
06-04-2009, 02:59 PM
My favorite Nonegg breakfast is 1/2 cup of black beans 1/2 cup salsa and 1/4 cup shredded Lf cheese

Mmm that sounds good, gonna have to try that one!

I also made the savory muffins yesterday, they were great! Thanks for that recipe! Took some with me for lunch today......I want to try them with spinach next time as well.

Thinigin
09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Are these supposed to come out bread-like? Mine were like cheesecakes.

KDHW
09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Are these supposed to come out bread-like? Mine were like cheesecakes.

I made them today and wish they were like a cheesecake but mine were more egg soufle like.

honeyspidey
05-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Came by this on a search engine (TGFGoogle!) and... I gotta say, these are a fabulous way to break up the SBD Phase 1 breakfast monotony. I did them savory, like wifey, and they're abs. delicious. What a creative husband you have!) My savory muffins were made as follows: (I adjusted the recipe for six eggs inst. of 4) I added 2 wedges low fat french onion laughing cow cheese, a bit of garlic salt, a good bit of pepper (for DH) and the rest of a bag of reduced fat shredded mexican blend cheese (so it wouldn't go bad.)

Delightful! And! They're quick enough to make when you've got a craving.

Thank you so much!

Amos Josephine
08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I just started SB, and have been missing breakfast (I teach and sleep in pretty late during the summer), but, as school is on the way, I knew I had to find a few grab and go options. Just made these today, and I really like them! They are a bit cheesecakey in texture, so maybe they will help out with my need for rich and creamy. I made both savory and sweet- both are great!

EmmaD
08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow, I wish I had read through this whole post before I made them - I would have tried some different flavorings in each muffin.

As it is, I made them per the recipe, just cut it in half so I could bake 6 in the toaster oven. At the last minute, I did add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (which may or may not be appropriate for Phase 1 as I couldn't find that info on the Phase 1 list) as I thought it would help them puff up better. I used "Pure Via" sweetener, 3 packets, but I think I could have used more.

They puffed up and cracked and browned on top - just lovely. They collapsed as they cooled and were definitely like little souffles. They were good, but honestly pretty egg-y (since the only ingredients are ricotta and egg, it would be hard not to be!). So next time I might try chocolate or pumpkin spice to get past the egg flavor... but I think savory would be really, really good - creamy portable omelets.

lazylioness
09-23-2010, 11:24 AM
OK I made these this morning with onion, fresh basil, oregano, garlic and Parm cheese. OMG they were SO good. They reminded me of the inside of lasagna! Seriously delish! Of course it does not hurt that I am so sick of eggs I could lay one! HAHA. Anyway, the texture was a bit "off" but not too bad, I am going to try throwing the mix in the blender next time. But all in all, they were awesome.

Thanks for the tip!

ldch1000
11-06-2010, 12:40 PM
DH and I really appreciate these muffins...Great for grab n go days.
Here is a variation I made and it's just low carb, not quite south beach: Add 1 extra egg and 8 oz cooked and crumbled reduced fat sausage and 1 C. shredded cheese (Low fat if you like) and 1/2 cup sugar-free mrs. butterworth and 1/4 C splenda. ( a little Mapleline might be good.) Spray 18 muffin liners with vegetable spray. Divide batter into muffin cups & bake at 400 for 20-23 mins. We call them 'Off-the-McGrid's'

XLMuffnTop
01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Tried this recipe with Cherry Jell-O and my husband really likes them as do I.

I will agree with the PP who stated these really ought to be eaten warm; while cold the texture is a tad offputting though not terrible.

We keep them in on covered plastic cake plate (the plastic ones you can get from Walmart with the snap lid for easy transportation) then pop in the microwave for around 8-10 seconds. Hubby adds a tsp of light cool whip (for dessert) and has to keep himself from devouring the pan. :)

lazylioness
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm so anxious to try these muffins because I just can't stomach another scrambled egg. How are you guys storing the leftovers? Can you freeze these then pop 'em in the microwave? Anyone tried this? Does the texture change? I'm thinking of the savory route as opposed to the "sweet" muffins.
Thanks for all the GREAT info and recipes...I'm so happy to have found this site!

I make a savory version and freeze them individually. Then just pop them in the micro for a snack or breakfast.

akmilly
02-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm not a fan of eggs. I thought the ricotta would cover them up but when they came out of the oven all I could smell or taste was eggs. I had to throw them out. =(

If you're like me and do not like eggs whatsoever, I'd suggest cutting the eggs down but I don't know how the recipe would turn out then.

linjha
09-30-2011, 02:32 AM
I used leftovers for breakfast this morning... i had some onion, green pepper and cilantro, grated together from the night before. I had an 1/2 C kidney beans, i had leftover green beans and i had Canadian bacon. i chopped up the bacon, mixed it all together and cooked in microwave, covered, about 3-4 min. I was very surprised at how the flavors blended. I will make it again. i have never been much of an egg person.

LoveSweetsCA
02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
ladies I made these last night and added 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed! They are so amazing and delish!

jnmcelwain
01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm trying mine with lemon extract!

jnmcelwain
01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Ok, that tasted like lemon flavored scrambled eggs :0( next time I'll go savory!

mexigrl64
06-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Mine were kind of sponge like as well but I suspect that's always the case without any flour or baking powder in them. I made 1/2 savory (with caramelized onions, seasonings, parm cheese) and 1/2 sweet (with 1 splenda, 1 T cocoa powder, 1/2 t of orange extract and 1 t vanilla). The shrink quite a bit after baking (30 minutes) and are a little "wet" feeling on the bottom.

I'm not sure how to store them? Once before I tried to make a different egg muffin and put them in plastic bags and they were just wet and icky by morning.

What are the best ways to store them? Right now they are just on a plate in the fridge!

Thanks!