Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default Is this to much?

Hello Everyone!!! Im new here but I would like some opinion on how much is to much. Im starting to try and lose some weight again and I want to exersize this time around since it makes you look a whole lot better, and feel better too.
Is 90min-120min a day of cardio to much for your body or is that okay? Im having some extra time on my hands so I can fit it in. Im having trouble with the gym membership getting canceled and I refuse to pay so I dont have that option anymore but I do own a treadmill. I started to alternate on the treadmill 1 min. walks with some running. I only get to about 3.5mph, but Im very out of shape and thats the speed im comfortable at.
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #2  
it's always something

The latest government guidelines call for 60 to 90 minutes of moderate exercise on most days to lose weight and maintain weight loss. You're probably fine, though you may want to check with your doctor to make sure that you don't have any health problems that would require you take it easy or ease into a routine. Otherwise, make sure you eat enough of the right foods to support it, and listen to your body

I used to be a treadmill addict, walking 3 hours a day, every day. I loved it, it was like a drug! I've recovered
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I used to be a treadmill addict, walking 3 hours a day, every day. I loved it, it was like a drug! I've recovered
Too funny suzanne! I too am reformed. I did WW a few years back and I became obsessed. The I hit an all or nothing stage. and now I have days where i have time too, I will go to gym do cardio for an hour and swim for an hour and I am back home by 10 so i can work and I walk the dog everyday. But there are days too where I have no time, the dog goes to doggie day care and I have to let it slide.

Check with your doc that all is well and use your time. You will for sure feel better ( and endorphan thing) and if you like it, go for it!

BTW welcome to 3FC!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

If you have 90 minutes to devote to exercise, I suggest getting some resistance bands and doing cardio for an hour and resistance work for half an hour or so. Cardio is great (I do a lot of it, too), but you need to be building some muscle as you lose weight.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

I would definitely die with 120 mins of exercise, but I guess it depends on the intensity.
I mean, itīs different if you walk for 120 mins (in zone but low HR) or run for 120 mins at 160-170 HB per min!

Some people suggest to work at different intensities, for example one day walk for 120 mins and the other run for 45-50..
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

I was coming to this forum to ask this same question! so if you don't mind i'm going to add mine.

I do weight training 3 days a week with cardio. Then the other days I do what cardio I can. Tonight I went to the gym and did an hour and 45 minutes of cardio. The first half hour was kind of intense then the the rest was moderate. I was reading a magazine so the time went by fast and I felt fine afterwards but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage. I've heard that too much cardio can break down muscle. I don't want to cancel out the work I do on weight lifting.

But as was mentioned the government recommends up to 90 minutes so I'm guessing at least that much is ok.

Last edited by katie3181; 10-19-2007 at 12:18 AM.
katie3181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 PM   #7  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

The most fit and in shape people I can think of are long distance runners. Marathoners, for instance, run 3-4 hours at a good intensity on a fairly regular basis. If that doesn't harm them, then 1-2 hours at a moderate intensity sure isn't going to hurt me (or any of us). Over exercising is far less detrimental to our health than under exercising (within reason of course, and this is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth).
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #8  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

When I used to be pencil thin (what i thought was natural) I was swimming 6 days a week for 2-4 hours a day. So no wonder I could outeat everyone! Too bad when I stopped swimming, I didn't stop eating

I have just bumped up my exercise regime from 30 to 60 mins on most days and it jump started my weight loss (and I kept on plan as well). Today I was going to do 60 mins but at 30 I just felt like crap so I called it a day no harm no foul and I ate completely on plan and focused on that aspect. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you aren't overexerting yourself, and most likely you know what point that is.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #9  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

that sounds a little boring but it should be okay, I would not go over 2 or 2 and half hours, but not all cardio, it gets pointless after one hourg, try some pilates or weights for the second hour or yoga.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote