Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #1  

Default I want honest opinions!

I looked at my driver's licence yesterday. I've notice that I have 7 months left to have my picture retaken. Am I putting too much pressure on myself ? or has anyone ever lost 50 pounds in 7months?

Thank you

P.S. Can someone please tell me how can I get one of those scale things.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #2  

I can't figure out how to get one on my profile either!!!!!!!! 50 lbs. is alot to lose in 6 months. But a DL photo is head only. Might I recommend creative bronzer along cheekbones and jawline? It takes off 10 lbs.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #3  

u can lose way more than 50 pounds in 7 months just take it steady dont think of it alot just eat from what ever u like every 3 hrs in small portion but try counting the calories so ud sum up with max 1500 a day and excercise and pls just dont way every single day it just make u more depressed weigh in every week or every month dont pressure ur self to much dont think of it as a striked deit think of it as a challenge to urself

and i beleive u can do it and after 7 month show us the new u
arabian princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #4  
hara hachi bu

To get a ticker (the scale thing): Upper left-hand corner, click on User CP (in the purple bar). After that, on the left-hand side, click on Edit Signature. Then you'll see a ticker and these words:

Add a weight tracker to your signature! Click here to get started.

Click on the "click here" words and that should get you going.

To lose 50 pounds in 7 months: I guess it's not unheard of, but that's over 7 pounds a month. 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy rate of weight loss, so I guess I'd shoot for 40 pounds and be happy with 50 ... and then I'd probably not tell the truth on the DL, anyway.

Last edited by phantastica; 10-15-2007 at 11:44 AM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #5  
No description available.

Or you may wish to weigh every day. I do, just to check for normal fluctuations and to see small reductions. It keeps me out of denial. When I don't weigh myself everyday, I gain. Each person is different.

In general, it is suggested a person may aim for a loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week. Some people lose more, especially right away, and some people notice that the rate of weight loss slows dramatically the closer they are to goal.

Is it possible for you to lose 50 pounds in 7 months? I think so, but there are many variables involved. Is it possible for you to lose 50 pounds eventually and keep it off forever? Yes....and to me that is a worthy goal for longterm health. Stick around and read some of the success stories to see how other people did it.

Good luck!

Last edited by midwife; 10-15-2007 at 11:51 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

A good rule of thumb is 1-2 pounds per week. Assuming 4 weeks per month, that puts you at 28 weeks and anywhere between 28-56 pounds. However, I would shoot for somewhere in between. 2 pounds a week is a lofty goal I think, and no one wants to be disappointed when they don't reach their goal. How about shoot for 1.5 pounds per week? That would put you at 42 pounds - very attainable!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I've actually lost 80 pounds in the last 5 months eating healthy foods and exercising, so I know it can be done.

However, I had a very high starting weight and that made it a little easier. Going from 280 to 230 is going to be a lot easier than going from 180 to 130, so some of it's going to depend on where you are now.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #8  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

It depends very much on your start weight. It took me about 7 months to lose 40 lb.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 PM   #9  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Honest Enough

My favorite carrot "guy"!

Well, how's this for honesty? I have always lied on my driver's license and you know what I think they know it. All they had to do was look at my body but they never said anything. I have also heard that people lie about their age all the time. I did have them ask me if my eye color was really brown though!! I suppose they figured I dyed my hair. Oh well.

Having said that, I would say that the main thing is forget about the driver's license and concentrate on having a good day today. When tomorrow comes, have a good day that day and so on. Then, whatever you manage to lose you will be feeling so much better and really who cares about that five second photo. Does anyone really look that good in those photos?? I don't think so.

You can do it......
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's definitely possible to lose 50 lbs in 7 months. The heavier you are, the "easier", and more likely it will be. Like Robin41, I have lost over 50 lbs in 7 months. But I started out at 287 lbs.

I think it's great to have mini goals, but it's also important to keep in mind that you don't only want these 50 lbs off for a drivers license pic - you want them off forever. So, I think it would be a good idea if you find a plan that you can stick with longterm. If you do that and wind up losing 40 lbs and not the 50, well that's pretty darn wonderful too.

Good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
It's definitely possible to lose 50 lbs in 7 months. The heavier you are, the "easier", and more likely it will be. Like Robin41, I have lost over 50 lbs in 7 months. But I started out at 287 lbs.
I completely agree.... It took me 8 months to lose from 178 to 138 (40 pounds) and I was exercising & eating right & doing all the things one is supposed to do - & yet, it took me longer. I really don't get it! - but it seems to be the norm! The more you weigh, the easier the pounds come off in the beginning. The more you lose, the more time it seems to take to lose it.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #12  
Rop tú mo baile

S/C/G: 180/151/135

Height: 5'3"

7 months, 50 lbs. lets see: down to the raw physics of it...

3500 calories in a pound; multiply that by 50.

175,000 calories you need to burn off in 7 months.

7 = around 210 days.

175,000 / 210 =would need to have a calorie deficit of around 833 calories a day to make this happen.

If you are 200 lbs (random guess, just cuz it's a nice even number) you burn off about 2000 calories as a basil metabolic rate. (basically add a zero to the end of your weight), this does not include any activity you do durring the day.
so you would need to eat a minumum of 1200 calories, with a maximum depending on how active you are of about 1400- 1500.

It is completely possible, if you can stick with it the whole way. if you put in some excercise you can add calories to what you can eat for the day. Here is an activity calculator--it's got a lot of them on there. just make sure to take away the calories you would have already burned during that time from the total once you add the other ones.
For example: if you work out on an elliptical trainer for 15 minutes and weigh 200 lbs, you burn off 163.6 calories during that 15 minutes, but you have to subtract the basal metabolic rate for that 15 minutes because it is included in the calories burned on the elliptical.

* if you weigh 200, you burn off 1.38888 calories per minute, simply existing.
-proof: 2000 calories/ 24 hours = 83 and 1/3, 83 and 1/3 calories per hour / 60 mintues per hour = 1.3888 repeating calories per minute.

* if you weigh 150, you burn 1.04166666 calories per minute, simply existing.
Proof: same as above- calories per day divided by hours per day, divided by minutes per day.

this is merely the bare sketch. So much depends upon a red wheel barrow...i mean on what you fuel your body with. if you eat a lot of fiber you lose weight faster and stay regular, despite the diet changes. If you drink lots of water and don't eat too much sodium your body will not retain water as much and the results of your efforts will be easier to see.

Your body would like to remain at homeostasis-When you gain weight your body is slightly uncomfortable (feeling stuffed from eating too much or feeling lethargic from sitting too long), when you lose it, that happens to, weather it's with a little bit of hunger, or it's from the muscle burn when you are exercising.

I wish you the best of luck on your weightloss journey. Keep us updated on your progress, and remember, if you need any support, feel free to whine to us, we listen becuase we've been there/ are there.
hepmelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
The heavier you are, the "easier", and more likely it will be.
I just want to clarify this statement. Easier, does not mean easy. I should have just said, the more likely it will be. Losing weight DOES take hard work and commitment, regardless of what weight you are.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #14  
Me Want Cookie!

S/C/G: 195/145/155

Height: 6'

It's totally do-able. I've lost almost 40 lbs. in only 10 weeks so I know it's possible. However, I will say that I've been extremely focused...at the gym 6 to 7 days a week...doing at least 4 Spinning classes a week...weight training 5 days a week...and working out with a personal trainer a couple times a week. And counting calories (1300-1500 per day) and eating clean.
So you can do it but it'll take hard work and commitment.
Cookie_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #15  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Two pounds per week can be done - for a while.

Hi Synergy,

My experience seems to match what Robin said: the first pounds of a large loss come off faster when using good eating habits.

My first 52 pounds out of 80 total came off during the first 26 weeks - 2 pounds a week for six months. Continuing to eat the same way, the next 29 pounds took a year.

My goal was to lose about one pound a week. But I only chose the amount of food that I wanted for my maintenance food plan and the amount of exercise that I wanted to do. My body chose the rate of weight loss and the final weight.

Food luck.

XXXXXX| 7 ||||||| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 6. 36 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote