General Diet Plans and Questions - Jenny Craig #2

View Full Version : Jenny Craig #2

ben&jerrys
02-14-2001, 07:45 PM
Hi, if you are following the Jenny Craig program and looking for support you've come to the right place.

I've been following Jenny Craig for two weeks now and have lost 3.3 pounds. Why haven't I lost more than 3.3? Well, I took 3 days off the program last week for a family emergency. When I say I took 3 days off, I mean I took them off without a second thought to Jenny Craig. Hey, I still lost .7 pounds that week.

My counselor was very good about my lapse into bad behavior. She pretty much told me that she would not scold me because I already knew what I had done. She followed that with a firm, but simple "When you decide to go off program you are deciding to exercise more that week to make up for it." Sure, that makes a lot of sense but I didn't do that before talking to her.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Kirsten

camarra
02-14-2001, 07:50 PM
One of the things I like about Jenny Craig is is that I am learnining what feeling full is like without feeling stuffed, I never stopped eating till I was about to burst, this is a good thing to learn.

------------------
Kathleen144/134.5/125

ben&jerrys
02-16-2001, 07:09 PM
Good morning Kathleen! I understand what you said in your last post. I can't count the number of times I ate until I was uncomfortable. I am so surprised that I eat this tiny meals and don't get hungry with 30 minutes. It only goes to show the power of portion control.

camarra
02-16-2001, 07:42 PM
I have had a great couple of days. I am going out for dinner on Sunday and planning on what to eat, fish ( small portion) salad and 1/2 baked potato probably.

------------------
Kathleen144/134.5/125

ben&jerrys
02-19-2001, 07:24 PM
Kathleen, how did your dinner out go? I hope you were able to stick to your plan. It is so inportant that we make a plan and follow it, otherwise it is too easy to get caught off guard.

My weekend went pretty well. I am hoping for a good weigh in on Tuesday.

Have a good day!

Kirsten

camarra
02-20-2001, 09:47 AM
Thanks Kirsten, I ended up having a cup of lobster stew and a ceaser salad, not great choices but I kept my portions moderate and I was down a pound today which means I am at the half way mark. Now comes the hard stuff, learning how to eat real food.

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

ben&jerrys
02-20-2001, 07:24 PM
Congratulations Kathleen! :D

It is great that you are at your halfway point. Now, the price of meals will go down since you'll be eating only five days on JC.

I weigh in tonight. I'm retaining a lot of fluid with TOM and don't expect to see a loss tonight. Just glad to still be in the game.

Talk to you all soon!

Kirsten

backyardbirder
02-22-2001, 05:43 AM
Thanks for directing me to this site, Kirsten! I've been doing Jenny Craig for about a month but have lost almost NOTHING. It's my own fault, completely. The support is outstanding, I just haven't followed the program as well as I should. My husband is giving me a certain time period to lose some weight before he pulls the monetary plug! More then that, I need to get inspired (especially since i have so much to lose!). I'm in one of those "now or never" stages in my life! Oh well, I'm looking forward to reading about everyone else's success on JC! :)

Chris

camarra
02-22-2001, 07:36 AM
Chris come on you can do it. This is the easiest program going, just eat only what they tell you for one week, just one week not the rest of your life, and see what happens.

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

ben&jerrys
02-22-2001, 07:45 PM
Kathleen, that is very good advice. I know that if I only ate what was on the menu the weight would be flying off me. I have decided to go off plan here and there, but follow it 80% and am losing weight slowly.

Chris, I have 50 pounds to lose and I have lose 5 in three weeks. Let's work at this together and see results together!

Yesterday I bought myself tulips for meeting my first 5 pound goal. I walked around the store with carmels in my cart, but before I went through the check out I put them back on the shelf. Why? Because I was so proud to have my 5 pound tulips in my cart. Chris, you should set mini goals and pick an inexpensive way to celebrate your achievements. I picked the cheap bunches of grocery store flowers. They were $3.99 and I would never buy them for myself otherwise. I figured $3.99 was relative to the $1.99 carmels I put back on the shelf.

Hang in there ladies!

Kirsten

backyardbirder
02-23-2001, 12:08 AM
Thanks for both of your support! I visited the first JC board and was very disappointed at how negative is was. You're right, Kristen, that this is the easiest plan (assuming one is willing to make the effort...which was my problem...I'm doing better now! Gotta drink that water!!!). I will set small goals, Kathleen. That's a good idea. Usually in the past, my goal "reward" would have been food related (does that make sense? Lose weight and then eat something bad as a reward!). Next time I drop 5 pounds, I'll buy a paperback book or something else nice. I appreciate both of your input and will stop back daily to see how you both are doing (and to keep you updated on my progress).

Chris

camarra
02-23-2001, 12:15 AM
One day at a time, for today we can follow this plan exactly, I have really been pretty faithful to this plan and the weight is melting off, every day my scale goes down. I need to know I can have one dessert a day so my counselor and I make sure I get one, it is a small portion but knowing that is there at the end of the day keeps me legal. Also I use one of my milks for 2 no sugar added hot cocoas this works to curb sweet cravings too.

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

backyardbirder
02-23-2001, 11:52 PM
I also like that they have the chocolate lovers diet...plus I'm breastfeeding so my caloric intake is out of this world! They actually ask me if I was able to get all the calories in. I laugh for about an hour and then have to wipe the tears from my eyes.

How much have you both lost???

camarra
02-23-2001, 11:59 PM
I have lost about 8 lbs. I never understood people who said they had trouble getting all the food in on a diet. People are starting to notice htat I have lost weight. I am going away for the weekend and will eat at least 3 meals out so I need to be really careful about portion sizes since that is what I have chosen to concentrate on ( rather than exchanges or calories).

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

backyardbirder
02-25-2001, 03:21 AM
Kathleen,

Congratulations on your 8 pound weight loss! I weighed in today and lost 3.8 pounds. I was very (!!) happy.

I hope you do well eating our 3 meals. Do you have your eating out guide? (of course by the time you read this it'll be a done deal...so DID you do well?).

Kristen - how are you tulips doing? I meant to tell you how great it was that you were able to put your carmels back. That shows a lot of will power. Do you crave carmels? Chocolate is my craving...don't know if I could have put it back...although with my weight loss this week I could have. So, you're 50 to go still? Keep me posted!

Chris

camarra
02-26-2001, 06:19 AM
Chris you better be very proud of yourself because I am. That is a great week. I get weighed in tomorrow. I went out to dinner at a fancy restauraunt and wasn't sure what I needed to do for exchanges so I had no appetizer, seared una and spinach and winter squash and 1/2 a roll, I ate only half of everything on my plate which surprize,surprize was enough and then split deesert with my friend. That way I did not have to do any figuring, did not feel deprived and I do not think I went over.

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

backyardbirder
02-26-2001, 08:45 AM
Good for you Kathleen! You handled dinner very well! Actually, the Weigh Down workshop (a biblically focused weight loss program) uses that same philosophy (eating only 1/2 of your meal). Did you bring the rest home in a doggie bag for lunch tomorrow? Tell me how your weigh in went! Have you managed to avoid the Girl Scout cookies? They're lined up all over my house and driving me nuts, but just when I thought I couldn't handle it anymore, my counselor said 2 cookies equals a carb (and since I have 2300 calories a day, I can have 2 carb servings if I want). It made my day!!

:)

Chris

camarra
02-26-2001, 09:01 AM
I got 4 boxes of girlscoutcookies and ate 3 cookies and gave the rest away which was not hard since they do not taste as good as they used to. My counselor has not yet started taling about exchanges, I will press her to do that this week. I am on 1200 cal a day and just getting to 1/2 way

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

ben&jerrys
02-26-2001, 07:31 PM
Chris, you had a great weigh in. 3.8 pounds is wonderful. I am enjoying the tulips very much. It was nice to have a bit of spring on the kitchen counter as it snowed outside. You asked if I crave carmels...I crave all sweets. Growing up, my mom would let us pick out some candy each time we went to the grocery store. I guess it was her way of rewarding us for not tearing up the store while she was shopping. Anyhow, I have a hard time not buying candy while I'm at the grocery store now.

Kathleen, it sounds like you made good choices at the restaurant. I'm going out on Thursday night. I will try to eat only 1/2 of my meal.

Have a great Monday!

Kirsten

LGR111700
02-26-2001, 08:37 PM
Well, I have to say reading these posts confirms why I am against Jenny Craig and after being on it, had a hard time losing a little bit of weight and had no chance of keeping it off. One person says, they had to go off for 3 days for a family emergency, another says now for the "hard part" learning how to eat real food. On weight watchers, you can always find something to eat no matter where you are and you can still stay on the program, and as far as learning how to eat real food, what good is a diet program if it's not a practical way to live and eat real food every day.

ben&jerrys
02-26-2001, 11:25 PM
I believe that we are all entitled to our own opinions. I don't understand why some people feel compelled to post here the reasons why they hate Jenny Craig. I'm sorry that you spent money on a program that did not work for you. Why don't you chalk it up to another of life's learning experiences?

I spent money on WW and realized it did not work for me. Have I gone on the WW thread to piss and moan because the program did not work for me? Not yet, but I am becoming increasingly interested in doing so. I just don't see what is to be gained by going to a group of people who are following and having success with a program and telling them that I am against their program. I thought that this board was a place of support, but we continually face posts that are not supportive. Instead we read a bunch of "I told you so" messages (which are stupid because none of us are expressing doubts about Jenny Craig--the people posting here are following, having success and in favor of Jenny Craig.)

Have you ever paid $30 for a haircut that people (friends or acquaintences) didn't like? Did you find it helpful or hurtful when people told you that they didn't like your haircut? I don't think it is helpful. I think that it is important that we help each other in our battle of the buldge, and unless someone is doing something that will hurt themself we should be right there to support them.

Just my two cents.

backyardbirder
02-27-2001, 05:46 AM
My turn for the 2-cents worth...

This is actually my 3rd time trying Jenny Craig...and I've tried Weight Watchers about a half a dozen times, and a variety of other diets numerous times. If I failed, and I typically did, it wasn't because of the diet, it was because I wasn't following the program. Jenny Craig does teach you how to eat "real food" - everything we eat is real food, just in not in the portion sizes we're all used to, and for most of us on this board, that's the problem we've been struggling with (learning to eat moderate portion sizes). I've found that Jenny Craig works for me, this time around, because I'm taking advantage of the one-on-one support they offer and I enjoy not having to struggle with portion control and major food choices at this stage in my diet. That's what ruins diets for me. This doesn't mean I don't dine out...we go out every Friday for spaghetti and pizza, and I fit it into my diet with no concerns. Following Jenny Craig is a personal choice, and it's working for me...just like WW works for you, and Atkins is working for my cousin, and Sugarbusters is working for my friend. To each his/her own and in the end, I hope we're all healthier and happier then we were before our diets. :)

Chris

p.s. to Kristen--good luck on Thursday when you dine out!

camarra
02-27-2001, 08:30 AM
I am sure these people who find it necessary to read a Jenny Craig support board to bash the program and try to convince us WW is for everyone are all happily at their goal weights, and maintaining. I was very successful on old WW exchange program but Points don't work for me. Jenny Craig is exchange program and it has worked beautifully for me. How about ignoring the negative people? I lost another 1 lb today for a total of 8 in 4 weeks. I really like this program especially learning about portion sizes. This 8 lb loss has given me a push to do things I have not done before, like taking Italian lessons and music lessons. Oh my, I bet I will get bashed for something I said here.

------------------
Kathleen144/133.6/125

camarra
02-27-2001, 08:34 AM
One more thing..think about your local mall, we can all plan to go to the mall and all get there using different roads.that is what we are doing here, losing weight to be healthier and feel better but using different ways to get there. Rather than being self involved and feeling " mny way is the only way" why not recognize our common struggle and goal and support each other?

------------------
Kathleen144/132.4/125

ben&jerrys
02-27-2001, 07:57 PM
Kathleen, I am so happy to read that you are trying new things. Isn't it great how weight loss builds our confidence and makes us want to try new things?

Chris, I'm with you. Right now I need to have the portions dished out for me. Let's just enjoy each other's company and hope the nay-sayers just getted bored and leave us alone.

I'm supposed to go for my consultation tonight, but I have to work. So, I'm hoping to reschedule for tomorrow. I need to call my counselor when she gets in the office.

I hope you're doing well.

Kirsten

camarra
02-27-2001, 09:30 PM
Kirsten, let us know how you did. I am at 1/2 way so I can do a day on my own now b ut I have opted to do all my breakfasts myself instead, I really like the ease of having all my meals prepared and since they are nutririous and I think taste good I am thinking of continuing some days with JC meals once I hit goal. This week it cost me only $60 and that is what I usually spend at the grocery store a week.

------------------
Kathleen144/132.4/125

backyardbirder
02-27-2001, 11:43 PM
Hey guys! You both seem to be doing well! Here's a question I've been wondering...what are your favorite JC meals? Personally, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Chicken Fetticini (yum yum). Just nosy about what everyone else likes! Which ones don't you like? I don't like soup, so I'm able to substitute different meals I enjoy. We've also worked the Fetticini into my week a few times.

ben&jerrys
02-28-2001, 12:24 AM
I'm with you, I love the chicken fettucini as well. I also like the chocolate cake and the raspberry cheesecake. I also like the chili and pasta ole. I can't forget the rising crust pizza which I think is good. I don't like the blueberry waffle, lemon cake, tomato soup, or the barbeque chicken. I have never tried the strawberry bar because my center never has it. It has me intrigued though because I can't help but wonder if it is just so good they can't keep it around.

For the most part I like the food and I like that they are so accomodating about switching the food around. Plus when I had 3 days of food leftover, my counselor worked with me to include those foods in the next week's plan. I like the meals much more than any other prepared diet meal I have ever eaten. I think it is great that there are some meals I look forward to eating. Who would have thought that I would look forward to eating diet food?

camarra
02-28-2001, 12:34 AM
I'll take your lemon cake, I love it!!!! I like the silver dollar breakfast, pasta del mar, my favorite though I think has to be plum chicken. My center never has strawberry bars either. Actually there is not much I don't like, I like the veggie soup. I don't eat any breakfasts except silver $ pancakes on Sunday, otherwise I do my own cereal and yogurt.

------------------
Kathleen144/132.4/125

backyardbirder
02-28-2001, 02:41 AM
How could I forget the chocolate cake and the raspberry cheese cake? I love those. I also love the other two pasta dishes that were mentioned (the Pasta Ole' and the del mar...isn't that the one with shrimp?). I was told that they no longer are making the strawberry bars, they were pretty good...kind of like a fruit filled soft granola bar (there's something on the market now like it...can't remember what it's called). I love the fruit and granola in yogurt. I'll pass my lemon cake to you, Kathleen (if you give me your chocolate one!).

ben&jerrys
03-01-2001, 07:04 PM
Good news. I am down another 1.4 pounds for a total of 6.4 in 4 weeks. I am quite pleased with my progress. My counselor is hoping for a week when I will lose like 3 pounds, but I am happy with the current pace.

How is everyone else doing?

My office "Christmas" party is tonight. We always postpone it until the holidays are well over because it is less hectic. Anyhow I am going to try to eat only 1/2 of my meal to avoid doing too much damage.

Take care!

Kirsten

camarra
03-01-2001, 07:22 PM
Kirsten, my weight loss has been just like yours and I too have been very happy with it, I think its' good we are losing consistently and not yo yo ing.3 lbs is unrealistic at this point. Eating 1/2 my meal when going out worked for me and I felt full and not deprived.have fun.

------------------
Kathleen144/132.4/125

backyardbirder
03-01-2001, 08:20 PM
You both are doing great! A one-pound weight loss is very good. My JC counselors said that anything more then 1-1.5 pounds a week isn't sustainable and is mostly water weight.

Have fun at your belated Christmas party and eat well (healthfully).

I don't weigh in until Saturday. I need to get my water in. I've had my oldest daughter home sick alllll week and haven't been drinking the water as often as I should have.

KangaRoo
03-02-2001, 04:11 AM
I am so jealous of you all!! Congrats on the great success with JC.

I tried JC 5 years ago, but quit when I relocated to another state. Then I tried it again 4 years ago, but quit 2 months before my wedding - for money reasons, it was either JC or a reception. The deserts sound wonderful - most of them were new when I left, maybe I would have stayed on a little longer if....

Anyway, I just wanted to add a couple of cents myself - Good for you, staying with a program that works for YOU! Not every program is made for everyone. My favorite thing about JC was that being single (and not a very creative chef) the prepared, planned meals were perfect for me. I just had a hard time with my add-on foods - 5 rolls with soup, a box of crackers for a snack, etc. I just couldn't control myself I love Carbs!

Best of luck to all of you, I think you are a great group, and your motivation and support for eachother is wonderful! :)

Roo

camarra
03-02-2001, 07:56 AM
Thanks Roo, I needed that. I am single too and money is not a huge issue (since I work a lot and was spending about the same for groceries. I am a lifetime member of WW but the new program doesn't work for me, I have tried dseveral times. JC is great, I love the food and the conveinience. How is married life?

------------------
Kathleen144/132.4/125

Polly Esther
03-02-2001, 08:17 AM
I HAVE A QUESTION!!!

I'm not on Jenny Craig. I am interested in a weekly counselling session and I'm wondering if JC offers that without having to purchase their food. I'm not interested in eating their prepared meals.

ben&jerrys
03-02-2001, 07:31 PM
KangaRoo - Thanks for the kind words. I know we all appreciate your post. I love the convenience of the prepared foods. I have a different problem than you though, because I have trouble adding all the extra foods. I am good with adding fruits and veggies, but bad with adding rolls, crackers, and olives.

Polly - I do not think they offer a program with only consultations. From what I have read on the Jenny Craig board they don't want to offer anything like that because they can't guarantee anything when it comes to other company's prepared meals. You might want to check the LA Weightloss board because they buy their own food at the grocery, and have weekly one on one consultations. However, they do have to buy bars and pay for all their weight loss weeks up front.

Kathleen and Chris - So good to have you on this journey with me. I'm glad you both agree that a weekly average of 1.5 is good. I ate more at last night's dinner than I wanted to. I don't drink alcohol though so I saved myself from those calories by drinking loads of water. I also gave my boyfriend half of my dessert. He is going to get fat off my diet because I keep giving him things to eat up to get out of my view.

Have a great weekend.

Kirsten

saggy
03-03-2001, 07:57 AM
Hey Guys! I am going back to JC tomorrow and signing up for their current special (30.00 for 1 month plus cost of food). I did JC last year and lost 20 lbs in 2 months, but I have gained it back and then some. Mostly due to bad eating habits and not exercising for a long time. So, I am pissed that I spent all that money last year and didn't do anything to keep it off. Anyhow, I figure going on program for a month will help me lose some weight and then after the month I might do weight watchers. I can only stand the JC food for about 1 or 2 months then it stops appealing to me. So, look for me on this strand to help me out when those darn girl scout cookies start calling my name. Thanks

saggy
03-03-2001, 07:59 AM
Hey Guys! I am going back to JC tomorrow and signing up for their current special (30.00 for 1 month plus cost of food). I did JC last year and lost 20 lbs in 2 months, but I have gained it back and then some. Mostly due to bad eating habits and not exercising for a long time. So, I am pissed that I spent all that money last year and didn't do anything to keep it off. Anyhow, I figure going on program for a month will help me lose some weight and then after the month I might do weight watchers. I can only stand the JC food for about 1 or 2 months then it stops appealing to me. So, look for me on this strand to help me out when those darn girl scout cookies start calling my name. Thanks

LinnaSue
03-05-2001, 10:53 AM
Good Morning All

I did Jenny Craig more than five years ago, and I loved it. It took me 3 months to reach my goal and like many of you mentioned, I lost 1 to 2 lbs at the most weekly. I too was quite pleased that I wasn't yo yoing back and forth and felt that steady progress was fine with me. The reason that I wanted to mention that to all of you is that I've done very well over the years maintaining my weight. Sue I've gained a few pounds but I've been able to get back on track and loose them because I knew what to do for all those weeks of programming from JC and then learning what I needed to do to maintain my weight.

I've gained 6 pounds since the holidays and even though I know what to do I've been up and down every week for the last 2 months. I know that it's time to get serious and I've used 3fatchicks the last couple of years to replace JC for my motivation. I'd love to join this group-I really need your inspiration! It's just too easy to be lazy or in my case give in to temptation here and there and find myself up to the point where I am now. Not that 6 pounds is all that serious, I'm just concerned that I'll, well to be honest be fat again. This is great because I'm really facing how I feel. I hate to start the morning wondering what I'm going to wear. Or putting on something that I want to wear to work and finding that I'm stuffed into it. I really hate that bloated feeling and those little rolls that stick out over my pants. Then I have to find some baggy sweater that will hide it. Then I'm stuck with just a few choices of what I can wear, and I have to give up all those cute little things that I know won't look good. I know all of this sounds too familiar, doesn't it?

I'm in ladies, now I need your help. I have water with me, I have fruit to snack this morning and I've packed Healthy Choice for lunch! So here I am. Starting monday right on track. Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels-and drink that water and stay on program. Does anyone have any tricks to stop snacking at night? I'm terrible!

LinnaSue

backyardbirder
03-05-2001, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone!

It was great to read all the new posts today!

I had a 1.8 pound weight loss on Saturday...and as you guys know that's good since i've been struggling with the Girl Scout cookies!!!

Polly-you might go visit a JC center and ask them what type of programs you can do (to save money). Maybe you can not buy the breakfasts or only buy once every other week? Spread the food out, so to speak.

LinnaSue-I think snacking at night is definitely one of my weaknesses. I save a lot of the food I'm "entitled" to each day and have it at night-time..then it feels like I'm doing a lot of snacking!

Okay, my baby is screaming her head off so guess she needs some nursing time! "Talk" to you all later and keep up the good work!

Chris

LinnaSue
03-06-2001, 03:40 PM
Hello to everyone,

Day 2, not to bad I must say. I've found myself reminding myself to take the time to break for that mid morning snack. I've been so busy that I haven't been taking the time for those little breaks. Or if I do notice that I'm a little hungry I don't have something with me. This really is a life long committment. I don't know about you but it is almost impossible to find a nutritous snack out there. It's so easy to give in to the wrong thing went your faced with the choices at Stop and Go's and vending machines. A piece of fruit would be great but where can you find one outside of a grocery store.

I found that carbs are my biggest down fall. I really crave them and I gain weight fast when I over indulge in them. I can't snack on them so I've had to snack on fruit, nuts, or dairy. I think I'm bored with what I've been eating. Maybe this week end I'm check out some cook books at Barnes and Noble-any ideas out there? I reaaly liked JC because there weren't any choices, everything was mapped out and there was a lot of variety.

Hope everyone is well, staying on program. Spring will come, and it will feel great to be back in shape. I'm working on the water. :D

Linda

backyardbirder
03-06-2001, 05:39 PM
Hi Linda,

Carbs are a big downfall for me, too. Well, carbs and sugar and nuts and cheese (ohhh, cheese...) and just about anything that tastes good! Do you crave just white flour carbs (I do) or do you also want to go nuts when you eat wheat bread or whole grain things?

I don't cook (understatement of the year, and a huge joke with my friends!) so I can't help in the cookbook area. I do know that when I visited Sam's Club a few days ago they had a bunch of cookbooks, reasonably priced, with a variety of themes. Not sure if that helps or not. :)

Good luck...spring is almost sprung! Unless you're on the East Coast...then it's still in hiding.

Chris

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 11:36 AM
Can someone explain the Jenny Craig program to me? I never considered it because I thought it was just a bunch of frozen foods for breakfast, lunch, dinner and it just didn't seem worth the money. Now I hear people talking about exchanges which I like, so what exactly is the program?

LinnaSue
03-07-2001, 04:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well. I'm pleased-I did quite well yesterday. I stayed on program without thinking much about it. I wonder what makes some days so easy, where some are so hard?

Thanks for your comments backyardbirder! It made my day. I crave white carbs. I don't even buy them, but since I still have a 17 year old daughter at home, we have to have some. I'll give in and eat dry cereal. I hate Lucky Charms, but it's like I have to eat it, and of course, I'll gain 2 pounds. I only really run into trouble during my tom or if I'm stressed out. I've started taking calcium supplements hoping to curb those cravings. I've only been taking them for about a week so it's too early to tell. I'm sure that it will take weeks to notice the difference. On the other hand, calcium certainly won't hurt me, so I plan to continue taking it anyway.

Prettynpink, I would recommend Jenny Craig. When I started I was desperate, so I'm not sure I evaluated it properly. But after months of there meals and menus, I learned to plan my on to maintain my weight loss and that's what really made the difference for me. Learning to eat properly- the food pyramid- really paid off for me. I had no idea what a proper serving was. I completely missed that even those serving sizes of carbohydrates listed on the facts box were actually more like 2 carbs. JC will show you how to count all this by the grams of carbohydrates. You could do this yourself, I'm sure but I really liked the individual coaching. In fact I loved it. When I went through the program there were even weekly group meetings, which I don't think they do any more, at least where I live.

Good luck everone. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

Linda

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 05:22 PM
I still don't understand the program. Do you eat regular food or do you eat prepackaged foods from the center? Do you follow an exchange plan? I'm kinda confused right now. What's the difference between this and Nurtrisystem?

backyardbirder
03-07-2001, 10:23 PM
Linda-I laughed out loud when I read your posting about "Lucky Charms" being in the house. I had JUST had a bowl of my daughter's box when I read your message. Ha. Keep away from those white carbs. I've given in lately and been craving like mad ever since! They're the work of the devil, I tell you...that white, yummy bread. :)

Prettynpink-on Jenny Craig you eat the food they provide you with...frozen and shelf stable, for lunch and dinner (some buy the breakfasts, others don't) and you supplement your own fruit and veggies. I'm on a higher calorie version of the diet (I'm breastfeeding) so I get to eat more of my own food. The food isn't that bad...not like it used to be even a few years ago. And you can rotate the food around, and even eat out when you need to. It's really flexible, and most of us here like and need the one-on-one support they give you. I go to the office 2x a week and meet with someone for about 20 minutes each time. Then they call me 2x a week (I told them ahead of time that I need major support). I love the ladies in my JC office, they're supportive when I'm off the program without making me feel guilty, and they're motivating all the time.

Hope this helps.

Chris

LinnaSue
03-09-2001, 04:27 PM
Hi Chicks,

Backyardbirder, isn't it amazing? Those carbs are demons, what's worse I'll binge on them even if I don't like them. We bought some terrible baked potato chips- they were like eating paper, dry tissues, uh! Did that stop me, no, I still ate them. Now something good like -Doritoes! Well, now that's understandable. I can't even be within smelling range of them. I gain pounds even eating a sensible portion. A friend of mine told me that they're addictive because of the MSG added to them. However rediculous that sounds doesn't matter to me, there's something in them, I'm sure of it.

I liked hearing about your program. That's great that you have 2 meetings and 2 calls from your counselor. I just went once a week and weighed in and met with mine. Again, it was twenty minutes. I love it. I even liked the food, and that was quite a few years ago. I had tried weight watchers and it never seemed to work for me. I'd loose weight but I never learned what was involved in maintaining my weight.

Stay on program-

Linda

backyardbirder
03-11-2001, 07:58 PM
Linda-have you ever tried the WOW Doritos? I LOVE THEM! That's, obviously, a problem (since then I eat them) but at least they're fat-free and less calories. I just have to eat them in moderation.

How's everyone else doing? We have our court date on Thursday (my husband is going to be, God willing, adopting my older daughter) so I'm a bit nervous about that (and eating badly, too). But I'm still losing. Lost last weigh-in...not much...barely half a pound (not even half a pound, actually) but it's still losing!

And where are you Kathleen and Kirsten? I MISS YOU BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

LinnaSue
03-12-2001, 03:54 PM
Backyardbirder-

Good luck! How exciting, I hope all goes well. My daughter is waiting for news from two colleges that she'd love to be accepted by. She's fine, I'm the one that's over eating. I'm sure that's why I'm snacking at night. So, I certainly can relate but your situation is so much more important. I hope all goes well. As for my daughter I know that things will work out for the best, it's just that waiting to hear can be torture. At least when the decision has been made, you can make plans from there. Things have a way of working out for the best. Sometimes it's just hard to see that at the time.

I didn't have a great weekend weight wise. I really wasn't that off track, but I guess off track enough- I picked up the 2 pounds I lose last week and I'm back up to 126. I've stayed on track today-I'll just see how things go tomorrow. Such is life. I really could have made better choices-and so today I will.

Good luck All
SOP
Linda

ben&jerrys
03-13-2001, 05:46 PM
Hi all! Sorry for the absense. There was some trouble with converting my username after the server switch. Now I am back and ready to get back on track. I have been on a binge. I went to Niagara Falls for a long weekend and need to get my butt in gear again.

I am going to refocus. I will start with my next meal. Wish me luck!

Kirsten

backyardbirder
03-13-2001, 06:06 PM
Kirsten, welcome back! You'll have to tell me all about Niagara. We're going to the Canadian side this summer for a few days. We can hardly wait! Did you have fun? Don't consider what you did going off the program, consider it a vacation...well deserved!

Linda, what colleges is your daughter interested in? How do you feel about her leaving for college (or do you have other kids who have already left for school?). Did you do better this weekend?

Hope everyone has a good week. We have the adoption on Thursday so keep your fingers, toes, eyes, everything...crossed!!

Chris

ben&jerrys
03-13-2001, 06:14 PM
Chris, I will definitely keep everything crossed for your family. I hope everything goes through without a hitch.

Things you must do in Niagara:

The butterfly conservatory - imagine a large atrium, about 80 degrees, and a tropical paradise inside. The butterflies fly freely throuout the room. The butterflies may even land on you.

The Spanish Aero car - it is a trolley that spans across the Niagra River. It allows you to get amazing views of the ravine.

Maid of the Mist - I did not do this on this trip because the base of the falls is frozen over. However, it is a boat that takes you right under the falls. Raincoats are provided because you will get wet!

The IMAX movie should also reopen by the time you get there...it will be newly remodeled as it was closed while I was there.

Niagara on the Lake - Nice if you enjoy walking through quaint towns and looking in expensive shops.

You are right to go to the Canadian side...in my opinion it is much nicer than the American side (if you can ignore all the tacky wax museums.)

Kirsten

camarra
03-13-2001, 08:11 PM
Sorry guys, it took me awhile to find you here. I am doing great, I lost 2 lbs last week and am 4.2 from goal. This has been the easiest program ever. I am eating my own breakfasts and lunches since with my schedule I never cook dinner. I find if you do this almost to the letter you lose weight. I do sneak in some 50 calorie hot cocoa ( or 4) a day. Make sure you eat all your meals and snacks on time so you won't cheat. It looks like you are all doing great, you make me glad i don't have kids, Iwould be eating all the dried marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms.

LinnaSue
03-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Hi Chicks,

I've had a busy week. I like busy but this was just a little too busy for me- but all has been fine. I'm back on track with water. I feel so much better. This may sound corny but I really think that it was the problem. I had picked up drinking coffee again. I just love it, but I cut out water when I drink too much, so I really caused a problem. I usually limit myself to two cups, that really seems to be the trick. I'm thirsty again!

I know it will be spring sometime soon here. I live in western PA- it takes us a little longer sometimes. If you are familiar with the area you know that I'm being quite sarcastic. We get maybe 20 days of sunshine through the winter months. I'm not kidding. So all of us are a little sun deprived at this point. I'm optimistic. I mean really- I do beleive-Spring Will Come!

Chris, thanks for asking about my daughter. She's waiting to hear from Carnegie Mellon which is only 30 minutes away in Pittsburgh and Ohio University which is further away in Athens, Ohio. It takes 3 to 3.5 hours to get there but they have a great reputation, and it is a beautiful school. We'll hear soon, probably within the next few days for CMU. Waiting is a ***** for me, but I'm hanging in there. Liz, my daughter, is a little testy, however. I certainly understand. She's a great kid! Yes, I'm going to miss her, but she's quite ready to get out there. She attended CMU last summer for 6 weeks, so I have some idea what it will be like when she's away. She's my youngest so I think it will be fun for my husband and me to have that time together again. I do work so I don't think I'll be lost. And whatever school she goes to, she won't be too far away. I'll be able to visit- Saturday lunch sort of thing.

So how are all of you? I've lost 2 pounds and hopefully will keep on track to drop the rest. I'd love to loose 6 more, but I look forward to even 2 more. I'm uncomfortable in my clothes. I hate those little (ha ha) rolls of fat that hang over my waist. And my face puffs up. I can't believe what a few lbs. does to me. Of course I'm only 4'11" so even 5 lbs. is a lot of weight.

I browsed through the other boards over the weekend and I recognized prettynpink's name from here so I read her posts. She's trying a getting started diet and I really feel bad-she's getting roasted by people. I'm glad I found Jenny Craig. It really worked for me. Yeah, I gained some weight back. But I'm no where near where I was 5 years ago. I've known other people who tried the program. It worked for some but not everyone. I think everyone has to try the different programs hoping they find what works for them. I know that you have to work all the way through Jenny Craig. I learned so much through their maintenance training. I hope that it works as well for all of you. It really sounds like it is.

I've got to go- Good luck everyone
Stay on Program

Linda

CITYCHICK36
03-15-2001, 09:47 PM
HELLO EVERYONE. I AM STARTING JC TOMORROW AND AM SO EXCITED. THE FOODS LOOK GREAT!

ben&jerrys
03-16-2001, 08:18 AM
It seems to have been a long week. I have my weigh in tomorrow. I have not been very honest with myself this week food wise. I need to get myself on track. I am going to try to convince my counselor not to weigh this week and just use the time to give me a pep talk. I need to get myself in the mode again.

Kathleen, you are doing so well. Your goal is so close...it must feel great!

LinnaSue, I hope you hear soon which school your daughter has been accepted to. It is such and exciting/nerve racking time for her. It is hard to believe I went through that nine years ago now. I remember wanting my independence and being scared at the same time.

CityChick, welcome! I hope you'll post here often. It is a great place to come for support.

Take care everyone!

Kirsten

backyardbirder
03-16-2001, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone (welcome Citychick!),

Not sure if anyone else received this from JC, but I copied and am forwarding. I'll try to watch it!

Chris

p.s.

Here's the information.................................

Exciting news!

Friday, March 16th, our own Jenny Craig is scheduled to be the subject
of an inspirational profile on NBC's "Today". What's more, we will
premiere our very first eJenny Web chat the same day on MSNBC - and
you're invited!

Jenny will tell "Today" show correspondent Colleen Dominguez her
personal story about overcoming obstacles and making positive changes in
her life. Her story ranges from winning her own weight-loss battle and
founding our Company, to applying the lifestyle strategies taught by our
Program to overcome the effects of an accident that took her out of the
national spotlight five years ago.

Then Jenny will host our first eJenny chat - as a client, we're sure
you'll want to have a front-row seat! In support of National Nutrition
Month, Jenny will talk about the three success factors taught by the
Jenny Craig Program - healthy eating, activity, and life balance - and
the essential role each plays in weight loss and weight maintenance. To
access the chat, log on to http://www.msnbc.com/chat

Jenny is speaking on these issues now for two reasons: to help cut
through the clutter of messages that are out there about weight loss,
and to echo the message that a balanced, structured approach is the best
way to achieve weight loss and weight maintenance. She also hopes that
her story will inspire others to overcome challenges they face in their
lives.

We hope you will be inspired by Jenny's "Today" show appearance and that
you will log on to MSNBC and chat with Jenny!

As always, many thanks for being part of our Jenny Craig Client family
and log on to http://www.jennycraig.com for the latest in weight loss!

LinnaSue
03-16-2001, 03:44 PM
Top of the Day!

Welcome citychick and good luck. If you need more support we're here. Ben&Jerrys, I know how you feel, believe me. But I think bad days, and weeks are a real important part of this. It happens, but the best thing is to get back on track and move on. I get really upset with myself sometimes and that just makes it worse. The times when I just sit back and tell myself that it happens, and calmly refocus on planning my meals for the day and making good choices, I fall right back on track. It sometimes takes a little longer but so far so good. I need to get back on track with exercising, too. Good Luck. I'd love to hear what your counselor says.

Backyardbirder- thanks for the message about Jenny Craig- I missed that program this morning. Maybe there will be another broadcast. I'm such a fan! I'm glad it's Friday, too.

Good luck all
Stay on Program

Linda

backyardbirder
03-16-2001, 04:19 PM
I'm such a big "duh"! I thought the program was airing next week (you think I'd check the date!). I didn't see it either! I'll see if I can find something out about it. I'm sure our centers have tapes of it (or at least saw it).

CITYCHICK36
03-16-2001, 07:54 PM
thanks for the welcome! my first day and the food was soooo good I could'nt believe it!

camarra
03-16-2001, 08:57 PM
It is so nice to come here and see you all. I am doing great so far. Remember we only have to do this for today. I find that I can have anything I want just a proper portion. I bought a book "Portion Savy" by Carrie Latt Wiatt that I like a lot. I am not soing whole days on my own, I have opted to do it one meal at a time, I did all my breakfasts for quite a while, got three or four I like and are proper size wise and nutritionally, now I am doing all my breakfasts and lunches. I just thought for me this would be easier.

Cheekdog
03-17-2001, 03:34 PM
Hi all! I'm new to this thread, but have been on Jenny Craig twice. First time lost 54 pounds, so I KNOW it works! I just stopped doing it and went back to my old ways. For me (and to clear it up for naysayers), I like the idea of giving control up to someone else for a while. If I knew what a healthy portion really was or what balanced really was, I would be at 319 (after a 29 pound loss). Which reminds me of what Rosie O'Donnell says about Slim Fast: "a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a healthy dinner at night. If I knew what a healthy dinner looked like, I wouldn't need Slim-Fast". That cracked me up and summed it all up for me! :) I love the idea of having it done for me while I take the time to discover myself and what my triggers are, physically and emotionally. A friend once said, "don't you get tired of eating out of cardboard boxes?" and I had to tell her that the food I was getting from those boxes is far better than the food I was getting from those bags they had you at drive through windows! ;-) For me it is harder to cheat, too, because I know *exactly* what I am supposed to eat. Since I don't have to really measure and weigh stuff, I can't overdo and if I eat off plan, I definitely know it and it is a conscious choice. I even made a chart for myself in Excel (color coded and everything :) ) and put it on the fridge to keep track of extras. Fancy, huh?

A couple of cool things I have discovered to help me with those extras:

1 - Tropicana Pure Premium orange juice makes this little boxes (like the milk you used to get in school) of orange juice and it comes in a 6 pack. One box is 2 fruits.

2 - Knudsen makes a product called "Knudsen on the Go". It is a 4-pack of little containers of 2% milkfat cottage cheese. Each container is 4 ounces (half a cup), which is two lean protein servings. I have one at breakfast and don't have to worry about lo-fat cheese or tuna.

3 - If your plan calls for 3 lean meats extra (the 2300 cal plan), you can get a 3 oz can of light tuna in water. Have that and you get all 3 lean meats over with at once.

What else do I love about Jenny Craig? The fact that I feel like I'm constantly eating and yet I still lose weight. Some days I feel like I just can't put any more food in my mouth - a DEFINITE first for me! lol

Hope I haven't taken up to much of your time, but I'm hoping my post will be helpful to somebody, as all of yours are definitely helpful to me :D

Cheekdog
03-17-2001, 03:35 PM
Meant to say that I would NOT be at 319 if I knew what healthy was :)

saggy
03-18-2001, 12:09 AM
Hey guys! I signed up for the 30 day special J.C. has going on right now. But I just had a question---on the scale at J.C. I weighed 5 more pounds than I do on my scale, my moms scale, and my doctors scale! Do you think they may have the scale "fixed" so we are actually a little bit heavier and therefore have to stay a little bit longer on program to lose the weight? THat way they make more money? I don't know, I probably wrong, but i was at the doctor the other day and I know I didn't gain 5 pounds in 2 days.

Hope everyone is staying on program and getting there water in!

Saggy

saggy
03-18-2001, 12:12 AM
Hey Backyardbirder--- I noticed you were from Cincinnati too! Which center do you go to? I go to the one in Tri-County.

Saggy

camarra
03-18-2001, 12:15 AM
Cheek I could not have said it better..ditto to your whole post, I am glad you are here with us. Saggy, my scale is actually heavier than the one at Jenny Craig, I doubt their scales are fixed, besides a pound lost is a pound lost no matter what .... I have had an interesting experience twice this week, I went out to dinner, felt full and STOPPED EATING when I felt full even though there was food left on my plate. I actually felt full!!!! And stopped eating!!!

LinnaSue
03-18-2001, 09:25 AM
Cheekdog-I hear you and couldn't agree more. Great post. And to all the rest of you it's wonderful to hear how you all are doing. It sounds like you're all psyched up. Havw a great day- yeah everything counts.

Linda

LinnaSue
03-19-2001, 10:35 AM
Good Morning Girls,

It's a glorious day- I knew that spring would come. For us a least for the next few days. We'll take what we get, because we're supposed to get snow again on Thursday and Friday. We almost have the best of both worlds. My husband and I have ski passes for Seven Springs this year, and it's been a great season. I love March skiing- the snow is great and the sun shines. Too nice- but we deserve it.

I I don't know if your interested but I have a great little recipe for an omlet. I made one this morning and thought you might like it. It's very simple but good. Chop about 1/4 of a small onion, about 1/2 of a green peper, and 1/2 of a baked potato. Saute in a small skilet until vegetables are tender. Beat 2 eggs and add to the skilet and cook until the eggs are done. Some of you mentioned that you do your own breakfasts and lunches, I'd love some ideas too. As far as I've figures, this omlet serves 2 and should be 1/2 carb, 1 protein, 1 veg, and 1/2 fat.

I did Jenny Craig quite a while ago so I hope the program hasn't changed. I'm still counting servings and they're based on the food pyramid. I had some problems on maintenance because I thought a serving was what was listed on the package. Big surprise there-that's two servings in most cases. If I'm wrong plese correct me- I want the feed back.

Hope all is well and you're fine with your programs. I'm drinking water! :)
Linda

camarra
03-19-2001, 11:00 AM
Down 2.4 this week, 1.8 lbs to goal, I have said it before but this program is so easy. I am hoping that maintenence is just as easy, I don't think it will be too bad because I really don't feel like I have been on a diet I can't wait to get off of , I feel like it has changed my way of eating.

saggy
03-19-2001, 03:41 PM
Yay Cammara! Way to go. You are so close to goal. Keep on pushing yourself. How long have you been on program? HOw much exercise do you get?

Keep it up!
Saggy

camarra
03-19-2001, 08:18 PM
Thanks! I walk my dog for 45 min. every morning at a leisurly pace. I work out with a trainer on free weights once a week and do weights once a week on my own and I take jazz and tap once a week, so I am pretty active, also I am a hairdresser so my job is active. My JC counselor feels all that exercise has made this easy for me. I have been on JC since Jan 29

ben&jerrys
03-20-2001, 08:17 AM
Congratulations Kathleen! Along your journey you have been very devoted and it is showing off. Promis you will stick with us through maintenence and beyond.

I'm getting back in the groove. I weigh in on Thursday and am trying to stay focused. I am very excited that spring is finally here. On Sunday, I had windows open to air out my house. It was nice to listen to the birds sing again. It is great to have this boost in my spirits.

I hope you are all doing well. Have a great day!

Kirsten

camarra
03-20-2001, 08:45 AM
Thanks Kirsten, I think it is much easier to do this program when you live alone, even if I wanted to binge there is nothing in my house to binge on. I am a lifetime member of WW and that was an effort, I cannot say enough how easy this was for me. I like not having to plan, shop cook on a daily basis. I work until 8 pm most nights so I have decided that I will eat Jenny Craig suppers 5-6 nights a week and I will eat JC desserts every night. I know the food is expensive but I like the quality better than other frozen meals and I like that the desserts are individually packaged so I won't eat too much. I find when I work until 8 I am so hungry when I get home if I have to cook I eat while I cook. I still have not fully realized how good I look because of all these winter clothes, I can't wait to try on the spring stuff, I did wear a skirt I bought 2 yrs ago and have never been able to wear because it was too small.Just remember when you are tempted to cheat.wait 15 min after you have eaten, it takes awhile for your brain to know you are full, and you are never more than 2-3 hours away from food during waking hours so you can wait till next planned food.

backyardbirder
03-20-2001, 02:34 PM
Geez, I'm off the computer for a few days and everyone gets so chatty! It looks like everyone is doing great..Kathleen you'll be at goal before you know it. Drinks tons of water (my JC consultant says this helps the weight loss along)! I'm doing okay, on and off but back on more now. I weigh in on Saturday..but I've lost every week for a month, even minor amounts still count, right? :)

Saggy (fellow Cincinnatian!) - I go to the Beechmont/Cherry Grove location, but it's neat that there's another Cincinnatian here too!

Hope everyone has a good week and a happy weigh in!

Chris

mahjong
03-20-2001, 04:59 PM
I recently came across this thread and now I have a question I hope you can help with. I have been doing the at home program and when I buy food I have to get an entire day's pre-set menu. There are 28 options. However, if I really like a particular lunch I may be stuck with a breakfast or dinner I don't like. From my reading here that doesn't seem to be the way it works if you go to a center. Can someone explain what the options are if you go to a center?

Thanks.

backyardbirder
03-20-2001, 06:07 PM
mahjong,

Supposedly if you eat a breakfast from group "A" your lunch should be from "b or c" and dinner from whatever group remains. However, I don't like a few of the items, and I really enjoy some of them, so last time I bought whatever I wanted, some days I ate all group "C" and the counselor said it wasn't a problem (just more expensive for me because the good food is the expensive food!). I also was able to purchase whatever snacks I enjoyed as well. I like chocolate and cakes, so I bought the cakes for every day of the week. I don't know if all counselors are as open to that as mine are though (the one I joined years ago wouldn't have let me do this).

What's the "at home" program? I've never heard of that. Can you give me an example of the food options you have? :)

Chris

ben&jerrys
03-21-2001, 08:51 AM
Mahjong, I pretty much stick to the plan of an A, B, C day. I do switch meals around though if I don't like them. For example, I always switch the blueberry muffin for another breakfast item that is considered equivalent (usually the fruit & granola). I don't have a list of the foods and their categories though, I just look at the list that is posted at my center. Since they have to send you your food, are you stuck with shelf stable foods or can you get some frozen foods?

mahjong
03-21-2001, 05:25 PM
The home program is called Jenny Direct and there is info on their website at http://www.jennycraig.com/programs/jennydirect.asp .

It is all shelf stable food.

Some examples of the JC food for a day is:
B - Strawberry Bar
L - Minestrone Soup
D - Homestyle Chicken with Noodles
S - Peanut Butter Bar

B - Fruit and Granola
L - Chicken Salad; dressing for salad
S - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
D - Pot Roast

You also get a menu plan with the other choices for the day. There are 28 different daily combinations, so if you hate Spinach Tortellini you don't pick any of the days that have it. Maybe you really like Cinnamon Raisin Bars but there is something you don't like on each of the combinations that are offered.

I don't know anything about the A B C choices. I didn't realize Jenny Direct was so different. I was doing it because I could take about 20 - 30 minutes during the day to have my telephone conference.

ben&jerrys
03-22-2001, 08:19 AM
Mahjong, we have the same shelf stable food as you. We also seem to have the same daily food layout as you (for the most part). Just at the center thay have a print out of all the foods and their categories, so we can mix and match. I guess they don't want to have too many mistakes with the at home plan and don't allow switching meals around. Maybe during your next phone consultation you can ask if you can switch things up a bit.

I weigh in tonight. I am not looking forward to it. I have been 85% on track, but sneaked a peek at the scale and saw a big gain...I am very close to TOM and hope that it what I am seeing.

Talk to you soon.

Kirsten

LinnaSue
03-22-2001, 12:07 PM
Hi Chicks,

Congradulations, Kathleen. I think that the maintenance part of JC is the best part of all. You actually lear how to eat on your own. It takes a little while but it's worth it. I can't wait to hear what you're doing- I could use some updating!

Kristen, I how how you feel. I really run into trouble the week before TOM. I've read articles that calcium supplements help so I started taking them. I should have been doing that anyway so I had no problems starting. It's supposed to take a few weeks to really see results but it seems to work. I feel better over all. But that could be that I'm drinking water too- Either way I understand. But it's all part of the process.

Got to go

Talk again soon

Linda

backyardbirder
03-22-2001, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone,

Kirsten, I bet your gain is definitely TOM related! I gained about 2 pounds on a Wednesday, and then by that Saturday had dropped 3 pounds. So, if you weigh in and have a gain, don't worry about it because you know you'll lose next weigh in! :)

I've been trying to be really good these past few days and have managed to stay on program 80% of the time..not to shabby.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Chris

saggy
03-22-2001, 06:47 PM
What's everybody been doing for exercise? How often and what kind? I've only done 2 days of exercise this week and weigh in on Saturday. I've been very busy. Just curious what everyone else is doing.

camarra
03-22-2001, 09:10 PM
Good work Chris. Saggy for excercise I lift weights with a personal trainer once a week and lift on my own once a week; I walk my dog for 45 min every morning and I take jazz dance and a tap dance class. As you can see I have made my workouts a bit unconventional and something to look forward to, they are fun. My dog makes me walk every morning.

LinnaSue
03-23-2001, 11:38 AM
Good Morning Chicks,

Great advice, Chris! I'll keep that in mind, too. Just stay on program and it will work out. No wonder ypu've done so well, Kathleen. That's an impressive schedule. It's great mentally and physically. I love to walk, but I'm a fair weather person- which is too bad- it's so much fun to walk in the rain. I do weight resistance training 2 to 3 days a week. I've also been skiing this year on the weekends. I've learned to take or buy bottled water instead of giving into the spiced apple grogs in the logde. It's made a big difference. Has anyone tried the V-8 coolers. I saw an add and thought they sounded great and only 10 calories sounds too good to be true?

Have a great weekend everyone!

SOP :D

Linda

118/124/127

backyardbirder
03-23-2001, 07:02 PM
Happy Friday everyone!

Well I just found out that I'll be an official Stay-At-Home mom from now on! My job has been eliminated (one of thousands...if you watch the news) and I'm on maternity leave now so it won't be a huge shock. Just gives me more of a reason to sit around and eat. Kidding! More reason to exercise (or that's what I tell my husband!). Sigh.

Saggy, I belong to a health club that has free child care so I try (*try* being the key word) to go 3-4x a week. I worked with a personal trainer for the first time on Wednesday and it just about KILLED me. Linda, weight training a few times a week must really be beneficial for you! Kathleen, what type of weight training do you and your PT do? Just curious!

Good luck with everyone's weigh in!

Chris

camarra
03-23-2001, 08:43 PM
Chris, I work with my personal trainer on upper body, she gives me a lower body workout every week that I do another day on my own. For my upper body she changes it every week but we do a lot of free weights and cables, not too many machines because I am short and she says the machines are built for football players. I find that when I work with her she pushes me much harder and I use much heavier weights than I would on my own. My upper body looks so good! On my legs I use leg press (110 lbs), adductor, abductor, hack squats, smith machine squats, weighted stair climb. Glad you are all still here and doing good.

saggy
03-24-2001, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone. Hope you all are having a nice Saturday.
I weighed in today and lost 4.3 lbs. I was very pleased considering I did sneak a few minature Reece cups and only exercised 2 days this week. I'm sure those Reece cups will catch up with me eventually. Have a good weekend.
Saggy

backyardbirder
03-24-2001, 03:45 PM
Kathleen, how long have you trained with someone and did you notice a huge difference in your upper body once you started? Why don't you work with her on your lower body, also (or is that easier to do alone?). How many times a week and for how long? I'm sooo nosy! :)

Saggy, CONGRATULATIONS! That's wonderful. What a huge loss! You must feel so pleased and proud of yourself! See, you can eat something you want without going nuts, and you won't necessarily gain!

I, unfortunately, gained 2 pounds this week. I'm mad because I had done so well this week, but the counselor, and the husband..mine..think it's because I was so bad these past two weeks prior to this week, didn't drink water hardly for two weeks, and only worked out twice this week. Next weigh in has GOT to be better!!!

Chris

LinnaSue
03-24-2001, 07:14 PM
Hi Chicks,

Chris, too bad about the 2 lbs, but stay on track. It should come around- water is so important and so easy to give up.

Kathleen, it sounds neat to have someone work out your exercise program. I'm set into the same rotation of machines. It's great for me in a way because it's mesmerizing. Some days I know I'm stressed. It's not just work but family problems, too that stay with me. But when I work out I can feel myself relax. I know the exercise is doing it but I almost wonder if counting the repititions isn't helping too. You know I've seen some really great looking older women working out. That's so motivating. They look great and seem quite pleasant. It must make such a difference to keep fit and active.

Saggy, 4.3 lbs. is a lot. You must feel great! You're going to motivate me all week.

Keep in touch-I feel like I'm beginning to get to know you all a little. It's fun. Oh, by the way my daughter did get accepted to one of the colleges she really wanted. It's not too far away and it is a great school. So we're really much more relaxed here. I want to see if it influences my weight loss. I had heard that stress trigers some hormones or enzime that actually prevent people from loosing weight. Some histacycline something and that it makes you gain weight around you abdomen. Well, let me tell you I've got it. So now I'm curious if I'll be able to drop weight more easily. I'll let you know what I think, but I can honestly tell you I'm much more relaxed. :D

Linda

118/124/127

camarra
03-24-2001, 08:58 PM
Linda, congrats to your daughter, lose all your weight now because next year you won't be able to afford Jenny Craig and a college tuition.
Chris, just get back on track, you can do it and the weight will fall right off. I have been working with the trainer since November and there is a huge difference. I see her once a week for 45 min. and then go in another day to work my lower body. YOu are right, it is easier for me to work my lower body.
Ssggy, WOW what a great weight loss, how did you do it?

saggy
03-25-2001, 03:14 PM
Kathleen, I just stayed on program and drank lots and lots of water. I was fortunate to lose so much this week especially since I only exercised 2 days. Hopefully I will get in much more exercise this week.

saggy

camarra
03-26-2001, 11:25 AM
I did it! Made my goal. I am concerned about maintaining but my counselor says it should be no problem, she will be teaching me all the way. I have decided to still go in every week for awhile, I go on vacation next week so that will be a true test.

backyardbirder
03-26-2001, 12:38 PM
Linda, congratulations to your daughter! That's great news...how far from home will she be?

Kathleen...YEA, YEA, YEA!!! You made goal! How much did you lose (total)? I'm so happy for you and I know you must be feeling so proud. I guess you're 100% on "regular" food now? Do they charge you for a consultation fee or are you a life-time member now?

Saggy, hope you have another great week! I know that the water is key (and the exercise) and I plan to do more of both this week, too.

Chris

camarra
03-26-2001, 05:40 PM
I lost 15 lbs since January 29th. I am a lifetime member, they don't charge me. On some days I eat Jenny Craig dinners ( they taste much better than any other frozen meals and since I work till 8 PM I need easy) and I always have a Jenny Craig snack at night because they are individually packaged so I am not tempted to eat too much. My food from Jenny Craig for dinners and snacks with the 10% off is now around $30 a week

saggy
03-26-2001, 08:39 PM
Congrats Kathleen! We are all proud of you. Way to go.

You guys, I was bad today. Had some(a lot) of chocolate and went to eat Mexican for dinner. I am such a sinner. I know I will pay for this on Saturday. Any suggestions?

camarra
03-26-2001, 09:20 PM
Saggy, drink lots of water, excersize and don't skip any of your food, this will set you up for another cheat, just stick right to the program as though nothing happened. Don' think that because you cheated once you lost your motivation, it was just one time. Did your counselor make you write a letter to yourself about why you wanted to lose weight? Read it if she did.

LinnaSue
03-31-2001, 10:00 AM
I had such a busy week- I was at workshops 2 out of the 5 days for work this week and I had big jobs to finish up. So I missed checking in with all of you.

Thanks Camarra and Backyardbirder, I'm thrilled for my daughter and she's happy too. Ohio U is about 3.5 hours away. A little further than we wanted but still quite managable. My son went to Clemson which was 8 hours and we were worn out by the end of it, so we asked her to keep that in mind when she looked at schools. Things have a way of working out the way they should. 3.5 hours is good for both of us, and it's a great school. Lots of school spirit and a great education.

Congrats, Camarra, on making your goal. I've been on maintenance 5 or 6 years. In fact my JC center closed recently but I'm sure there's another near by. Yeah I've picked up a few pounds that I'm struggling with but that's life. Stress, laziness etc.... I let my focus slide a little but I know that I'll stay with it and get back down. JC's maintenance program is the best part of the whole plan. It's still some work but I really needed to learn how to do it.

Saggy- hang in there and get right back on track! You can do it.

I'm holding a 124, but it's TOM pre-week so I'm OK with it. I've started walking when I get up in the morning. I couldnt believe it but it was snowing a little this morning. Yes, spring will come to Western PA! Ha ha ha

Have a great weekend, everyone. I'm headed off to the opening of the Pittsburg Pirate's new stadium. I'm excited. But I'm taking an apple with me. I don't think that healthy choices are going to be a priority there. :D

Linda

backyardbirder
04-06-2001, 08:38 PM
Where's everyone been?

Hope you all are doing well!!

camarra
04-10-2001, 10:38 PM
Sorry, I left Maine, and my computer, for sunny Florida ( and restauraunt eating) for the past week. Weigh in on Monday, I will let you know. This vacation has me seriously questioning why I live in Maine.

backyardbirder
04-10-2001, 11:13 PM
Where in FL did you go? WE leave for Sarasota in two days!

Hope your weigh-in goes well

camarra
04-11-2001, 07:52 PM
I was in Delray Beach, high 80's, no humidity, gentle breezes all day every day.