PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Default PCOS and hysterectomy

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone elses doctor suggested a hysterectomy to stop the symptoms of PCOS? My doc has recommended this for me but I am truely afraid to have this done. Will it get rid of my symptoms and will I get even bigger than what I am now? I go to the doc tomorrow and I am going to ask for something for weight loss. I have tried the Adkins diet but I get kidney stones from all of the protein and I am currently on WW but that doesn't seem to be working. I am taking spironlactin and that has helped with the hair growth and I have gotten a period for the past two months. I usually only have 2 periods a year. So I know this drug is helping but not with the weight loss. I tried glucophage but it did nothing for me. This drug is truely a miracle drug for me. I love it. It just seems like the more I try to lose weight the bigger I get. I bought Walk Away The Pounds and have been doing that everyday. Nothing is working. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Keitha
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #2  
it's always something

Both of my sisters were diagnosed with PCOS after their hysterectomies.

Walk away the Pounds is great for a lot of people, but may not be enough exercise for you because of your PCOS. Many people with PCOS find relief after they begin a more intensive exercise program. Some studies have shown that reducing carbs is not essential for those with PCOS and what matters most is overall calories and increased exercise.

Would you be able to exercise twice a day? Do you count calories? That might be a good place to start, and is a whole lot easier than a hysterectomy

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #3  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

My doctor has not suggested a hysterectomy. However, I do not have any children yet so that would not be an acceptable option for me right now.

I have also tried Atkins, South Beach, WW and Low GI diets... I found these too restrictive and/or vague/confusing/time consuming. I have been counting calories and exercising 5x/week (training for a 5k so it is more exercise than I have done in the past) and this seems to be working for me. I have lost 35 pounds in 3.5 months but I have a lot to lose. I haven't seen a drastic improvement in symptoms yet but my cycles are only 30 days now compared to 35-60 days before the weight loss so I'm hopeful.

Anyway, I hope you are able to find something that works for you that isn't as drastic as a hysterectomy.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: S198/C189.8/G130

Height: 5'4"

Please do not get a hysterectomy. There are so many other treatments out there. Do research. I personally think you need a new doctor. There is a message board that I belong to that probably saved my life with all the information on it. I can't post it because this is my first post, but maybe you could send me a PM so I can give it to you. Ask them, they will be able to give you so much information.

If you do not feel comfortable, or you feel wary, then don't do it. If the doctor will not talk to you and research other options, get new doctors until you find one that will.

Wishing you well.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

NO, NO, NO!

This is an endocrine issue, and taking out your uterus is not going to solve those problems - they'll likely just create a new set of problems!

Anyways, you sound like where I was a few years back. It's so difficult to keep up the healthy eating and exercise when you're not seeing results!

I encourage you to take out a tape measure, because I lost inches, but very few pounds when I was going through that before. It was at least motivating to see the inches coming off!

As for diet, I think you have to find what works for you. Right now, I'm doing WW (well, I've sort of kinda been doing it, but that's a whole 'nother story!). I've found that it's not simply enough to follow the points, I also have to restrict my crappy foods from my diet. If I eat too many bad carbs, or even too many good ones, the weight loss slows way down.

Finally, up the cardio. If you're doing WATPs right now, make sure you're doing at least a half hours worth, which I think is going to work out to be about 2 miles, IIRC. Secondly, you have to do some strength training. So, pick up some weights! The muscle you gain from that will help burn more calories.

Good luck!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

NO WAY - a hysterectomy will not solve your PCOS issues - other than your periods of course - but there are ways to regulate and/or ease those. The other symtoms will remain - I can't believe doctors are recommending this still with all the knowledge that is out there now. You NEED to find an endocrinologist who is KNOWLEDGABLE with PCOS.

Last edited by witchyonadiet; 12-07-2007 at 04:24 PM.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I am 33 and have a daughter who is 10. I had a hysterectomy at the age of 27. PCOS was not my only problem though. I also had pelvic inflammatory disease and endometriosis. But I have epilepsy and my doc told me I need to eat a high carb diet. Any ideas?
graceey is offline   Reply With Quote