General chatter - Does .8 lb matter?

View Full Version : Does .8 lb matter?

Stepping Out
10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I can't remember the last time I started a thread, but I need to get this off my chest...

Last week, an old friend came to visit me. We talk fairly regularly on the phone, but I hadn't seen her in a while. I guess she must have noticed my DH's WW book on the kitchen table, since she asked me if I'd been to Weight Watchers this week. I told her yes, and added that I'd lost .8 of a pound. This was a breakthrough for me, since I've been struggling just to stay out of the 290's. Her response was: 'That shows up on the scale? Does .8 of a pound even matter?' I answered her calmly, 'yes it does', and that was the end of the discussion...but I'm still hurting from her insensitivity :(.

The real answer to that question: Yes, it DOES matter. It matters because of my health problems and lack of mobility..it matters because I don't want to die of obesity related illness at 57..it matters because I now outweigh my DH by almost 100 pounds :cry:

Would .8 of a pound matter to you? :chin:

ANOther
10-13-2007, 05:09 PM
If a loss of .5 # a week is the minimum doctors recommend, then yes, any loss or gain more than that is significant and would matter to *me*. YMMV

bargoo
10-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Any loss is significant.

CLCSC145
10-13-2007, 05:26 PM
It ABSOLUTELY matters!!!! Any movement downwards matters. Heck, 0.2 matters! There are going to be weeks where you lose a little, a lot, or none at all. Consistency is what counts and 0.8 losses over and over DEFINTELY addds up.

Some folks just don't understand an accomplishment when they see one. Don't let her get your down!

SoulBliss
10-13-2007, 05:29 PM
When one is overweight, losing or even MAINTAINING is a victory! She is insensitive. Maybe not intentionally, but still! :mad:

GatorgalstuckinGA
10-13-2007, 05:33 PM
it totally matters...a loss is a loss...WTG...wohoooo congrats to you girl. That's what you need to hear...your cheering section is here...YEAH 0.8 lbs....you keep up loosing those 0.8 lbs and by the end of the month it would be 3.6 lbs...woohooo...keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrouFrou
10-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Of course it matters! All those .8's, .5's, .4's .whatevers add up! And WTG on that .8! :woohoo:

meowee
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
As already said . . . IT MATTERS . . . what doesn't matter is her attitude. Although she probably didn't mean it as harshly as it sounded . . . :hug:

melekalikimaka
10-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Joanne, YES IT MATTERS.
It means you follwed the plan and it's working! I agree with everyone else above, don't let your "friend" rain on your parade. :bravo: Good job and keep up those healthy efforts. :hug:

as for your friend, I have something for her ------> :kickbutt:

katmeow
10-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Hooray! I am completely impressed that you remained calm in answering her question. As already stated, she probably didn't mean it as badly as it sounded, but she really could have been a little more supportive. That is why forums like this are so important. You know you can come here and talk to people who "get it". Just remember that you aren't losing the weight for the complements, or for anyone else but YOU. Your life is special, important and worth making the sacrifices needed to live a healthier life.

YEAH YOU! :carrot:

kaplods
10-13-2007, 09:19 PM
If she was even at a healthy weight, I guess I would have said "and how much did you lose this week?"

Losing weight is hard, and everyone wants to lose 2 lbs or more a week, but only a few of The Biggest Loser contestants even averaged more than 3 lbs a week, and they had nothing to do but lose weight. I think we have to put it in perspective, that if you lose anything, even .2 lbs, you are so far ahead of the national "average" for weekly weight loss, that you have a right to just stick your tongue out at anyone who criticizes it. Sure some weeks you may lose more (or less), but for every .8 lb plus weekly weight loss (or even .2 weight loss for that matter), there are thousands that did not do so well.

ViolinCyndee
10-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Even .2 matters!!

Stepping Out
10-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Thank you all so much for your encouraging words! :grouphug: I know that my friend didn't mean to be insensitive. I think it's hard for people who haven't fought this battle to understand how important every victory is, no matter how small!

You all mean so much to me..thank you! :D

Amarantha2
10-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Good heavens, the person who said that was not only insensitive, she must have no understanding at all of the process of weight loss. OF COURSE, .8 of a pound matters! You bet it matters! Congratulations, that's a good loss for the week.

I personally lose so slowly now that EVERY .1 matters to me. And a maintain matters to me.

Every single step we are taking to reach our goal, no matter where we are in the process, is a victory.

You are doing great. Ignore your insensitive friend.

EZMONEY
10-14-2007, 10:10 AM
AW JOANNE :hug:

Of course it matters! Any loss we have is one step closer to our GOAL! We get there one ounce at a time dear. That is the job that we have to do for ourselves.

You said your friend was not being insensitive, SO....to her, maybe .8 is not very much....I know that before I "gained unwanted pounds" .8 would not have been much to me either. Now I know all those .8's add up!

I know that you know I am here for you! I think it is time for me to give a gentle push and tell you.........

"Joanne, ok dear, it's time to STEP OUT and re-focus towards what is important here, let's not get stuck here on .8 let's get that bumped up to 1 pound!" :hug:

Good luck to your 1-1 SOX

Gary

Time for a change
10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Like everyone has already said, all those .8 lbs add up! Maybe it doesn't matter to someone who isn't trying to lose weight because either they don't have to or don't want to, but that's their problem. Try not to let other peoples remarks get you down. Remember, you're doing this for yourself not for others.

Stepping Out
10-15-2007, 12:19 AM
AW JOANNE :hug:

I know that you know I am here for you! I think it is time for me to give a gentle push and tell you.........

"Joanne, ok dear, it's time to STEP OUT and re-focus towards what is important here, let's not get stuck here on .8 let's get that bumped up to 1 pound!" :hug:

Good luck to your 1-1 SOX

Gary

Thanks for the :kickbutt: I needed that! :hug:

kaplods
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
And remember, even if you never lose a whole pound during one week, fractions can get you all the way to goal. I think that's what finally clicked in my mind. When you have 250 lbs to lose, you can't lose enough in one week or even one month to feel like you're making any headway. Even a 6 lb loss in a week seemed like such a "drop in the bucket," that I couldn't envision losing all of the weight I need to. So, I stopped envisioning the "end" and just focused on each tiny little drop. Even now, whenever I get discouraged, it's usually because I stopped looking at the "drops" and started thinking about the "big picture," and how far I still have to go. I actually had to make a little sticker chart, so that every single, stinkin' little pound is a reason to celebrate. If it starts getting too hard to lose one lb in a week, I'll make a chart of half or even quarter pound increments, because if I don't have something to celebrate most weeks, I know I'll get discouraged and give up, and that isn't an option I'm willing to consider.

If throwing a blippin' parade after each .2 lbs is what I need to do to stay motivated, hey I'm gonna do it. Every ounce lighter I become matters to me, it matters a lot.

Stepping Out
10-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I stopped envisioning the "end" and just focused on each tiny little drop. Even now, whenever I get discouraged, it's usually because I stopped looking at the "drops" and started thinking about the "big picture," and how far I still have to go. I actually had to make a little sticker chart, so that every single, stinkin' little pound is a reason to celebrate. If it starts getting too hard to lose one lb in a week, I'll make a chart of half or even quarter pound increments, because if I don't have something to celebrate most weeks, I know I'll get discouraged and give up, and that isn't an option I'm willing to consider.

If throwing a blippin' parade after each .2 lbs is what I need to do to stay motivated, hey I'm gonna do it. Every ounce lighter I become matters to me, it matters a lot.

I like your idea. I have trouble with looking at the big picture vs. small victories. My DH means well, but he doesn't help when he tells me, 'you can get down to x size'..it just seems so overwhelming :(. Right now, my main goal is to get below the *** mark on the scale. My secondary goal is to get to my Weight Watchers 10% (of total body weight), which is only 14 lbs away. I'm so thankful for all the support I've gotten. We can do this together! :D

kaplods
10-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Yep, I know about overwhelming. I think it's the single largest threat to weight loss and maintenance. The second it becomes overwhelming, an opportunity for failure opens up. I still painfully remember being within 5 lbs of my "goal weight" of 150 lbs. I was in high school, and had lost 70 lbs over the course of three years (starting at 225 lbs in 8th grade). I was losing about 1 lb a month and getting so crazy frustrated, and my doctor lowered my goal weight to 145. Jeez, I could barely imagine getting to 150. Instead of telling the doctor to go jump (I think he was actually trying to remotivate me, how completely oblivious he was), I jumped ship and regained the 70 lbs, plus another 20 just for good measure by freshman year.

That unfortunately is the diet trap. When you lose weight, regaining generally means "and then some," so I realize that going back doesn't mean going back to 394, and back to sleep apnea, showering on a stool, waking up every 45 minutes to change positions due to pain. Instead, it would probably mean "going on" to 400+ and to other problems and pains I don't even want to imagine.