Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #1  
_________

Default Aluminum-free antiperspirants???

Someone told me that most antiperspirants contain aluminum which is harmful because it inters your body through the skin.

So, does anyone know where you can get aluminum-free antiperspirants?
Rockrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #2  
it's always something

I buy mine at the health food store. Actually, it's a deodorant and not an antiperspirant. I'm not sure if they make antiperspirants without aluminum. I was hesitant to try just a deodorant, but was pleasantly surprised to learn I'm not much of a sweater I've tried a few brands, and the one I prefer is Alvera.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #3  
_________

mmm...I sweat like a pigglette, so I'd either have to have an antiperspirant or take more than one shower a day.

Or, maybe this would cause people to keep their distance
OK, thanks
Old 10-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #4  
I restore Teeth.

Ummm, the think the antiperspirant part requires aluminum in order to plug the sweat glands. You're best off with some deodorant that doesn't have the antiperspirant power.. sorry.

I don't use antiperspirants or deodorants- my pits don't sweat and I never have pit or foot odor. It's my weird genetics- my mom is a frequent sweater and my dad never could. I barely sweat even in 90 degree heat.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #5  
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover View Post
Ummm, the think the antiperspirant part requires aluminum in order to plug the sweat glands
I'm thinking there has to another substance in this vast creation that will plug up your pores and isn't harmful....there's gotta be!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 PM   #6  
_________

OK, so what real harm is aluminum in your under arms going to cause anyway???

I've tried deoderant only and after about a half day I stinketh, badly.

Unless someone has some good scientific reasoning for not using antiperspirants, it looks like I'm going to have to go back.

I don't have time to take two or 3 showers a day. It's pretty bad when I'm smelling myself and gossipping to others about how bad I smell

(Actually, I never repeat gossip so I always tell 'em "you'd better pay attention the first time...")
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #7  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

rockrz--- hahah you better pay attention the first time! LMAO!

Anyway, I use clinical strength deoderant/anti-persperiant (the new secret one), with a higher amount of aluminum cloride. Also, I had aluminum cloride prescribed to be by the doctor, that I am to apply @ night (only do it a few times a month) because I sweat SOOO bad.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:10 PM   #8  
_________

But, I've found that not all doctors prescribe what's good for you...they usually prescribe that which will solve the immediate problem because that's what the patient is paying for, so they have to solve problems to keep their patients.

I don't think they consider the long term effects.

I was just hoping someone who be able to provide a link or two for info showing where they've studied the long term effects of aliminum.

I wouldn't think using anti-persperiant is like eating soda cans or anything. Surely you aren't getting large amounts of aluminum in your system, are you?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
OK, so what real harm is aluminum in your under arms going to cause anyway???
It's like everything else. This week it's harmful, next week, who knows?

http://books.google.com/books?id=wRn...qV_8#PPA277,M1
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

In the 80's I remember aluminum became a concern when higher than normal levels were found in alzheimer's patients, though I don't believe a causal link has ever been found.

I would recommend doing a little more research before deciding to give up antipersperants because of aluminum. I would guess that the skin provides a fairly good barrier against aluminum ingestion, at least more so than cooking in aluminum pans, using aluminum foil, and eating foods prepared with aluminum-containing additives.

I know that acidic foods can leach aluminum from the cookware into the food. This has been known for a long time, and while it wasn't considered dangerous, it isn't very tasty so you will find recipes that will recommend glass or other "non-reactive" pan or bowl.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I've read what Kaplods says -- high levels of aluminum in autopsied brains of Alzheimer's patients, but no definitive causal link has been proven. It's kind of smoking gun reasoning, but some people would rather err on the side of caution, and just skip the stuff.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My point was more that when a person hears about these kinds of things they need to be fully informed, rather than react with partial, incomplete, or incorrect knowledge. It would be ridiculous and pointless to avoid antipersperants, yet continute to cook with aluminum cookware and eat foods containing alum and other aluminum compounds.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #13  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Adidas makes an antiperspirant with cotton instead of aluminum. I have used it but it doesn't work long for me.

I sweat alot, and I started using over the counter Certain Dri. I only have to us it very other week and I basically have stopped sweating under my arms period. I still use a deodorant to smell good though, but now any old cheap stick works.

Last edited by sockmonkey70; 01-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #14  
_________

Wow! $15.95 is the cost of their entry level product and it goes up from there...

So, I forget...what's wrong with regular "aluminum" anti-perspectives anyway?
I might be cheaper to sit indoors and just not sweat
Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #15  
it's always something

Gee that's expensive! I buy my natural deodorants from VitaCost and rarely spend more than $3. Their prices are similar to wholesale on many products.

I noticed that in my post above from 2007 that I recommended Alvera. I recently learned that Alvera actually does contain aluminum salts that are disguised by wording. Whole Foods and other retailers have stopped carrying it.

Rockrz, it's been linked to Alzheimer's disease. If I'm sitting indoors not sweating, I'd rather it be for other reasons
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote