Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #1  

Default Pizza, a bad thing?

Well, honestly, my family doesnt eat aswell as I do.

Seeing as i got up late, i had 1 bowl of cereal, then grapes for lunch, then a bannana when i got home.

Thats like NOTHING. right?

Well they usually get pizza on friday nights, and oh you know how much my stomache is rumblin right now.

But my question is, is canceling out pizza period the right thing to do?

Or is 2 slices pepperoni okay?

Seeing as ive had about 400 calories MAX today. I know I should eat more snacks but my question is, would 2 slices of pizza kill my diet? with some grapes of course.
imnotfatforlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

No, it won't KILL your diet - but could you have one piece instead of two? The sodium in the pepperoni and the fat, generally, may cause you to retain water for the next two or three days, and you may find you regret that second piece... by all means have a slice - you haven't deprived yourself, and you'll be fine

Unless you're like I was with pizza... and the whole thing gets inhaled...

Enjoy!
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, you can have a piece of pizza, possibly two if they are small, as far as calories go--but as HeatherAngel said, there's a lot of fat and carb calories there. Just be aware!

400 cals for the whole rest of the day isn't enough--it might be better to spread your calories out more throughout the day. That way you won't feel so starved when the pizza arrives.

Enjoy!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I don't think a little pizza is bad but I wouldn't eat a meat pizza, maybe with veggies on it? I agree with other posters 400 calories is not enough for the rest of the day. You need to be eating enough food that is healthy for you too and 400 calories is not enough. cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

A couple of pieces of pizza and a salad won't kill you. But it isn't good for your metabolism to starve yourself all day.

Trader Joe's has whole wheat pizza dough premade. So does Pillsbury (but not wheat). I love to take one of those and load it with veggies, RF turkey pepperoni, 2% cheese. Even better than takeout!

Last edited by rubberlegs; 10-12-2007 at 09:20 PM.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

I know if I ate 400 calories spread over breakfast and lunch, I'd be at risk for binge-eating on the pizza later.

When I want pizza, I order it thin crust (whole wheat when available), extra sauce, vegetable toppings, and sometimes light cheese. I have one piece and fill up on raw vegetables before I go, or have a salad with dinner.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

With pizza a lot depends on the pizza. Even some take-out pizza is pretty good, nutritionally and calorie-wise, and some is horrible. Grease is obviously a big clue, if there's an oilslick on the top, or the crust leaves a big oily stain on your napkin you pretty much know it's going to be a calorie nightmare.

For take-out or delivery pizza, some tips to cut calories

if you have the option:

if it's a chain, see if they have nutritional information
thin crust or whole wheat crust
half cheese
lots of veggie toppings
no meat
or low fat meat toppings - shrimp, chicken, even ham are usually better choices than sausage
eat with a large salad
chew very slowly (if you can eat one piece in the time it takes everyone else to have two or three, you still had the same 15 minutes of pleasure that they did, but for 1/2 to 1/3 of the calories).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Try one of the lean cuisine pizza's. There are a few different kinds. I love the cheese, pepperoni and three meat. For example, and I think it is the highest of the ones I eat. Three meat Calories 350, fat 9, carbs 48, protein 21. About the same size as a personal pan pizza from pizza hut.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

You can also do what I do: have pizza salad

Order a dry (no dressing) salad, and cut up a piece of pizza and scatter the pieces on the salad. The sauce from pizza makes the salad moist enough, though you can add FF dressing or a squirt of lemon if you like yours really wet.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I would be more concerned about the effects of eating only 400 calories before dinner than the effects of pizza. Plus your 400 calories have been all carbs, mostly sugary carbs from fruit, little protein and little fat.

Pizza is like anything else, it is ok in moderation.

I have pizza regularly because it is a food I can not live without, but I avoid pepperoni and sausage because they add a HUGE amount of calories and fat and little nutrition.

I would have a small protein snack NOW. If your stomach is rumbling you are setting yourself up for bad things. You shouldnt be starving when you diet or you cant do it forever.

If the rest of your family is getting pizza, have a salad when the pizza gets there so you dont dive in too fast. When you are done with your salad put ONE piece of pizza on your plate and eat it slowly. Take a break and do something else. Then decide if you really want a second or maybe have some fruit.

If you do end up with pepperoni or sausage pizza, take a paper towel and blot the oil off the top. You can remove sometimes a teaspoon or two of oil from each slice of pizza that way. Especially pepperoni, where the grease pools in the slices.

Last edited by ennay; 10-13-2007 at 02:02 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

Has your family ever ordered a cheeseless veggie pizza? By far the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in pizza world!!!!

Last edited by veggielover; 10-13-2007 at 02:34 PM.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #12  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

South Beach has a good frozen whole wheat veggie pizza that I recommend. Boboli also makes a 100% whole wheat crust if you want to make your own and add veggies and chicken to it! Man now I am in the mood for that and I don't have it in the house!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberlegs View Post
You can also do what I do: have pizza salad

Order a dry (no dressing) salad, and cut up a piece of pizza and scatter the pieces on the salad. The sauce from pizza makes the salad moist enough, though you can add FF dressing or a squirt of lemon if you like yours really wet.
OMG I thought I was the only one who made something similar! Here's what I do, I make a toritlla pizza (tortilla, with sauce, cheese--baked 350 degree oven for about 10 min). I take it out of the oven, cut in wedges, and sprinkle with lettuce, carrots, etc. and sometimes a low cal dressing. Yum!!!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #14  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

You could prepare a salad for the whole family while waiting for the pizza to come; and start eating it before it gets there as that will fill you up while you are waiting; and have a glass of water as well.

We are French and we often have a fruit appetizer or soup before a meal; and a salad with all our main dishes. I agree that you need to add something to that lunch; you could have a sandwich on whole wheat bread or a Tortilla, with lean chicken, and/or cheese with your fruit.

I just love those homemade whole wheat TORTILLA PIZZAS; I make mine with sauce, skim mozzarella, turkey pepparoni, and olives. Have you ever tried PIZZA OMLETTES? Just add your favorite chopped items to your omelette, and serve with salsa or catsup; so yummy, quick, and low cal.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

We had pizza for dinner last night actually

My dad makes the base from scratch and puts herbs in it...Mmmm...

The toppings include homemade tomato paste, garlic, mushrooms, capsicum (bell peppers I think you refer to them as), onion, olives, shaved ham and danish salami and cheese.

I will usually eat two slices of this...it IS on the heavier side calorie-wise but for me it's a once in a blue moon treat and I eat it so slowly. I'll pick the toppings off bit by bit and then savour the crust.

I'm am STUFFED after that because it's taken me that long to nibble through it my brains goes - ENOUGH! lol.

At home (I'm visiting the parents at the moment) if I make pizza it's on a lebanese bread base (wholemeal) while minimal toppings. My favorite pizza is just the classic margherita - basil, cheese and tomato!

On the side - Mum and Dad would have these pizza's once a week - they're not at all overweight or even unhealthy. Dad is probably 175 pounds at 5'10 and mum is a tiny 116 pounds at 5'7 (she IS fine boned though lol). So yes...Pizza is fine by me in moderation

Last edited by Lyria; 10-14-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote