Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #1  

Default canned salmon???

I love to mix smoked salmon with light cream cheese, dill, lemon juice and some salt and pepper and use it as a sandwich filling or cracker topping. I was wondering if canned salmon could be used in a similar way. I know it wouldn't have that yummy smoky flavor-but would it be absolutely disgusting to do that? What do people do with canned salmon and/or that salmon in the foil packets? I have so much of it, but don't know what to do with it!!!!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:02 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

I'd make salmon patties or a salmon loaf. I think the thing with canned salmon is that it has those really soft bones. They're edible, but if they gross you out you can remove them. I actually go through with my (clean) hands and crunch them up before I make the salmon loaf. It's tedious, but you get the nutritional benefits of the bones.

Here's a basic salmon loaf recipe:

Salmon Loaf
1 can salmon
2 egg whites
½c fine whole-wheat bread crumbs
1t seasoning (Italian seasoning and pepper, for instance)
1 small can tomato sauce
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Flake salmon (wild salmon is healthiest. Remove bones and skin.). In a mixing bowl, combine with egg whites then mix in bread crumbs mixed with some seasonings. Form into a nonstick loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray, and pour over one small can of tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake until done, about 1 hour. Slice and serve with salad.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #3  

Wow, thanks for the recipe. I never would have thought of doing that.
Do you use the tomato sauce in the can (the one with thin consistency) or the kind meant to go directly on pasta, for example? This must make a nice small amount (which is what I want, as I'm only one person living alone).
Is the can of salmon you use the size of a standard can of tuna? Thanks!
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5' 1"

Wow, those salmon patties sound yummy. I use canned salmon the same as I do canned tuna. I usually take out the bigger bones and crush up the rest and I remove some of the really dark skin. I love to put it in salads or just add a little lemon juice and chopped onion and eat it with whole wheat crackers. And on a slice of rye bread with cream cheese, well there's not much of anything that is better. DONNA
Donna72664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidful View Post
Wow, thanks for the recipe. I never would have thought of doing that.
Do you use the tomato sauce in the can (the one with thin consistency) or the kind meant to go directly on pasta, for example? This must make a nice small amount (which is what I want, as I'm only one person living alone).
Is the can of salmon you use the size of a standard can of tuna? Thanks!
The can is bigger, like a 16-oz can. Actually, when I made this I just had like half a can of one of those really small cans of tomato paste, so I mixed it with some ketchup and topped it with that. It turned out great!

I live alone too, and find it challenging to want to stay home and cook healthy stuff all the time when it's just for one person. I do a lot of leftovers and freeze individual servings whenever possible.

Last edited by phantastica; 10-12-2007 at 12:20 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #6  

I personally think canned salmon and smoked salmon have a very different flavor. Neither are very high in fat/calories when used sparingly.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

Out there somewhere they do can smoked salmon. which I like better.
For something quick my fav is 1 small tin of fish 1 cup cooked pasta, tomato, with salad veges. Works out about 5 points on the ww program. Most of the time I will cook double the pasta and use it the next day topped with a serving of minced beef, frozen veges and salsa,6 points.
That recipe does sound good I will have to try it.
MaryL
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote