Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #1  

Default a few bfl protein shake/food questions...

protein shakes I tried EAS whey protein shakes added one scoop put 6 oz of water in it and it was like drinking water with a drop of taste to it, did i do something wrong?? is this how they are suppose to taste??? Is there any other brands out there that has a shake / flavor thickness to it??

food, ok doing better with this department however, I don't like yogurt and cottage cheese anyway to hide them in my food so I won't be able to taste it but get the good nutrition out of them??

thanks
cheryl
dis2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

For protein shakes, you have to realize that even the best are not going to come close to a true milk shake flavor. After all, you cannot take something that is high fat/ high sugar and replicate the taste in something that can match the flavor. However, there are some very good products out there that are very flavorable.

I, myself prefer, protein blends over pure whey protein. I find I like the taste better, they tend to have a higher average thickness, and they have mixed absorption rates so unless you specifically want the fast absorption quality of whey, you might want to try a blend.

My personal favorite is Biotest's metabolic drive with At Large Nutrition's Nitrean and Cytosport's EvoPro also being good.These are all specifically protein shakes not meal replacement powders.

BFL also suggests the use of shakes as meal replacements, so depending upon how you are using your shakes, you may want to use an MRP product. These can be a little thicker and some contain some types of good fats and as such, you may get more of a milk shake texture/taste than you are getting with your whey product (although it won't be like an ice cream shoppe milkshake. Keep the expectations lower). My preferred MRP products are Biotest's Metabolic Drive Complete and Pro Lab's Lean Mass Complex. If you don't mind some faster acting carbs (such as post-workout), then At Large Nutrtion's Opticen is very good. I have heard good things about Cytosport's muscle milk and I do like the taste of their EvoPro Protein that is the base of muscle milk, however, MM has a higher fat content than what I look for in a protein product so have never used it. Depending on the macros you will be using, this may be an option for you.

As for "hiding" Cottage Cheese, here are some options. Use 1 cup of cottage cheese (preferably a reduced salt variety) with .5 package of SF Jello Pudding Mix. Add a little water slowly to find the right thickness for you. It's very good and very tasty but make sure you can afford the carbs from the Jello pudding when you opt for this.

I also use 1/2 cup of cottage cheese mixed with natural peanut butter and spread onto a couple of GG Scandanavian Crispbreads. Nice prebed snack as it gives me the slow digesting casein protein from the cottage cheese and some slow digesting acceptable fats from the PB and a lot of fiber from the GG's. This really lasts me deep throughout the 8 hour fast.

I also like to use Cottage Cheese as the protein in my salads. I make HUGE Salads. About 6 to 8 cups of a greens at a time. 1/2 to 1 cup of cottage cheese mixed around with some Maple Grove Farms SF Raspberry Vinaigrette and I have a very filling meal with plenty of protein.

Other options include mixing in a SF "0" calorie syrup of your choice. DaVinci and Torani among others make a wide variety.

Of course, if you don't like your protein powder mixed in water as a shake, you could always try mixing in a little with your cottage cheese. Add some splenda to taste. Perhaps throw in some some chopped almonds. You might actually enjoy the mixture of two foods that you pretty much don't care for now.

For other cottage cheese ideas:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

Last edited by Depalma; 10-12-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #3  
Mel

Muscle Milk by Cytosport tastes good, but is too high in cabs and fat for me. They now make Muscle Milk Light which I haven't yet tried.

I use HDT Problend 55 for a straight protein powder or SAN Anabolic Infusion. Both are protein blends. The Anabolic Infusion mixes very well and contain added branch chain amino acids, some probiotics, but is more expensive.

Of all I've ever tried, EAS is the worst!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #4  

Default Muscle Milk

Muscle Milk triggers new levels of muscular growth in 3 ways other products can't Creatine GCC- Help Support Your Body. Muscle Milk product has made a huge difference in my life.
mark alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #5  
Mel

Muscle Milk would make a HUGE difference in my life too! about a pound of fat per week :fright:

Use what is appropriate for you. If it fits into your overall plan, great! If not, Muscle Milk is NOT magic. Other protein powders have the same properties and real food always works!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote