Weight Loss Support - 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#121

thinthinker
01-12-2002, 07:55 PM
WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts

thinthinker
01-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Hello everyone! :wave: Sorry there's no WELCOME gif at the end of the Welcome post. I couldn't put my finger on my disk where I saved them all and by the time I went back to steal 2cute's, it wouldn't let me add one. So, I guess this thread will just be 'plain Jane'.

It's been pretty hectic here. I really had alot of jobs this past week and most of them were 'eat out' jobs and with my birthday today it's been a horrible food week. No working tomorrow so maybe I can make it a 'soup day' to try to catch up.

I can't stay. My son is waiting at the office door to start a tape in the VCR. I'll try and catch up with you all later.

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Ruth E. Renkel

LuckyLadyBug
01-12-2002, 08:19 PM
I must have posted on the other thread while you were doing this one...So....Susie my congrats on the loss and gain (computer) are there.

Hey, Thin I made soup today but ate too much. I made that "one from WW first week" soup so it is only vegies but I still ate too much.

I will have to do more belly dancing :lol: :dizzy: :lol:

I think I will really like this.

Grannie39074
01-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Evening ladies

Today has been hectic. DH and I had an argument this morning about recording a VCR tape, isn't that dumb.:(
I had genealogy meeting this afternoon. I ate a 6 oz hambuger ,F.F. and a salad for lunch oh well another day.

Susie way to go on the loss and congrats on getting the computer.
I did our Taxes tonight too. so I guess it's time to go to bed.
be back tomorrow

prism
01-13-2002, 06:54 AM
Hi everyone,

Congratulations Susie on your weight loss. You're an inspiration. I've been trying to get back the mindset, but it's difficult. This is the year for both my health and esteem. It would be a kick to start my 40's full of energy. I'm 39 years old and feel like I've been running in place for a long, long time.

I went to the beach today. It's been a month of off and on rain. The past two days we had picture perfect weather. I went into the ocean and it was cold. I thought I'm in the water in January. I never go to the beach until maybe April or later. I've been trying to shake a cold?/allergy? for about a month now. The cough went away a few days ago. Baking in the sun capped the end of that episode of illness. It also helped clear my mind of the old year. Everyone here on this thread has kick started their program. I'm lagging in that department.

Tomorrow is a new day. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Malia

SusieH
01-13-2002, 09:43 AM
Good morning fellow fat fighters:

I am soooo tired. Andrew has a cold/cough and woke up at 2:30am. Aside from an one hour nap around 5:30am, he had been wide eyed and driving me crazy. My DH is sick too, so he didn't wake up until almost 9am. He is up, so I did another 20 minutes on the bike (50 minutes so far for today), and came up here to read emails.

I don't think I will be able to nap later, but we will see. Andrew and I are going to my parents house to celebrate my Dad's b-day (65 y/o). I hope Andrew takes at least a 2 hour nap before we go....please...please...please.

Anyhow food hasn't been great since w-i yesterday. I went overboard, but what else in new for me on the weekends? I am going to try to keep it in check today, but who knows.

Malia: Just take it one step at a time. Losing weight is not easy, so just set some realistic goals. Maybe just make it a goal to drink all your water each day, or to exercise 20 minutes. I got to thinking early Saturday morning, that if I just lose 20 to 25 pounds a year, I would be satisfied. Even though I have about 140 pounds to go, and at that rate it would take me almost 7 years, I would be truly happy to not gain, but lose 1/2 pound a week. I probably could lose it all in 2 years, if I was 100% faithful to the program, but that is Not realistic, so I am going to take it slow. Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Grannie: You did your taxes already? We haven't even gotten our W-2's yet. Wow...good for you.

LuckyLadyBug: At least you made something healthy, I ate pizza.

TT: Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!! Relax, you deserve it!

Have a great day.

thinthinker
01-13-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone! :wave: My DH and my oldest have gone off to the auto show and the youngest is still upstairs in bed, party last night! I have had a bowl of Taco Soup for lunch and a small sliver of my leftover cake. I'm hoping to keep it lite today to try and just maintain this week. I would just hate to have a gain after just one week into the New Year!

It's been a very busy week and this next one will be as well. We just got word that a long time neighbor of my husband's family passed away so we will be tied up with funeral stuff again this week. On Wednesday, my friend's son will have brain surgery and on Friday DH and I are leaving for Niagra Falls.

Now I guess I could complain that eating will be a problem this week, but you know what??? I've come to the realization that life happens! We can talk all we want to about losing weight and then only actually do it when optimum conditions exist, like you get to prepare all your own food. But the reality of it all is that optimum conditions will rarely exist, heck they will almost never exist. So enough excuses already! We have to be able to look at all of this as a new way of life and as much as it will kill me to always be ordering a grilled chicken salad when I'm out, I need to get into the habit of it so that I can be successful on this journey. This journey is about choices which will make us feel better and be healthier and if we don't start making those choices NOW, we'll never reach our destinations! I don't know about all of you, but I don't want to stand still in my efforts for another year. I want to make some Progress. So let's get on with it and not just give lip service to it!!!

Mary: Only 1 CD? Gosh, girl, you need to get a move on. That's a new toy I would love to mess around with. * There's nothing wrong with that lunch. Just adjust the rest of your day to compensate for it.

Jen: I'm sure getting out of Pizza Hut is going to be real helpful in your weightloss efforts. I know I could eat pizza everyday if it was so readily available.

2cute: I loved your 'on one hand' and then the other post. Very interesting and so true. Sometimes I think we just need to look at things from a different perspective.

Michelle: Hope your little one is doing better and that it was nothing serious. * Those veggie chips sound good, I know we have Hanover here, I'll have to look for them.

Katrina: Did you try the Taco Soup recipe? I hope that you enjoyed it.

Syn: I eat WOW chips all the time. They are my salvation. I'm a salty eater and nothing fits the bill like chips do. You get 20 for 1 WW point. You'll have to play with how many you can eat in a sitting without having stomach trouble, everyone is different. I can have up to 4 servings (80 chips) without having any side effects. With 5 servings I will have greasy stools the next day. I really don't ever have like cramps or pain or anything no matter how many I eat.

LuckyLadyBug: You go, girl! Belly dancing has got to be great exercise! I bet you hurt all over! * You can't eat too much of that soup! You can eat it all day long and it's still 0 points!!! That's the wonderful thing about it!! :)

Maggie: I'm with you. I need to concentrate on eating home more often. I can always seem to control what I eat when I'm doing the cooking. That and serving 'restaurant style' instead of 'family style'. Like yesterday, I made more than enough mashed potatoes, 9 pork chops and a big dish of green beans with salads for everyone. There was only 1 pork chop left and a spoonful of the potatoes, and almost 3/4 of the dish of beans because I served 'family style'. Had I dished everything out 'restaurant style' I would have had 4 pork chops, a whole bunch of potatoes and no beans left. There's a BIG difference!

Susie: Congrats on the new computer! It will be good to have you here on the weekends! * Great job on the 45#'s!!! Good for you!!! * Thanks for the wishes! :)

Malia: You too can 'kick start' your program! Jump on the wagon here, we're all holding out our hands to you! You can do it!

Here's my recipe offering for the week:

Broccoli-Cauliflower Bake

1 head broccoli, broken into florets
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Rinse vegetables under water. Place wet vegetables in a 2 quart ovenproof casserole dish. Bake until slightly tender, about 40 minutes.
3. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle mixture over vegetables. Bake until crumbs are crisp and brown, and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Yields about 1/2 cup per serving. Serves: 8 Points per serving: 1

Gotta go get something done since I have the afternoon to myself. See ya later.

"I am old enough to know that victory is often a thing deferred, and rarely at the summit of courage...What is at the summit of courage, I think, is freedom. The freedom that comes with the knowledge that no earthly thing can break you." - Paula Giddings

Grannie39074
01-13-2002, 03:12 PM
Hello ladies.

Thin I forgot to wish you a happy birthday.

Well I am trying to cook healthy today. I mad a tropical trifle out of the WW cookbook I have for dessert. I am going to cook a meat loaf out of it also .

DH and son are watching the Green Bay Packers Brett Favre is from Mississippi.

I think I am going into the archives tomorrow. I need some info to join the DAR (something else to do).

I better go. I need to get a move on and do some work.

LuckyLadyBug
01-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Here is my recipe...I know, I know many won't like onions but I love them and I can eat a lot!!!:p

Roasted Vidalias - 0.5 Points

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Vegetables

4 medium Vidalia onions or other sweet onions -- (about 2 pounds)
peeled and cut into 8 wedges
Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Arrange onion wedges, flat side down, on a jellyroll pan coated with
cooking spray; lightly coat onions with cooking spray. Sprinkle thyme,
salt, and pepper over onions. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Turn
onions over; bake an additional 25 minutes. Spoon onions into a serving
dish; drizzle with vinegar. Yield: 4 servings.

Serving size (3/4 cup)
Per serving: Cal 57 (6% from fat), Pro 1.7g, Fat 0.4g (Sat Fat 0.1g), Carb
12.6g, Fib 2.7g, Chol 0mg, Iron 0.8mg, Sod 297mg, Calc 36mg
Selections: 1 FR/V
Weight Watcher Points: 0.5

Thin You ARE busy !!!! I agree with you on the dieting. We always want the perfect circumstances. As you said, there aren't any. :( My thin friends sometimes eat chocolate, sometimes overeat, sometimes have greasy food - it's life. I am totally with you I don't want to stand still in my efforts for another year. I want to make some Progress.

Your recipe looks good... thanks.

Grannie What's DAR?

This morning it started snowing so fast it was like rain. It finally quit and I went out to shovel. I fell and my right knee and right arm HURT . I don't know if I will be doing much belly dancing today!!!:mad:

I guess I will be forced to keep checking this thread for posts.:lol:

Grannie39074
01-13-2002, 06:36 PM
DAR is the Daughters of the American Revolution its a group for the female ancestors of patriots of the american revolution

LuckyLadyBug
01-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Ahhhh I should have known that. Thanks.

prism
01-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Hi everyone,

Started off okay. Woke up at 5am, exercised to Richard's Sweat & Shout. First time for me, it was different. I felt very energetic today. I could feel the fat burning. I weighed/measured yesterday and took "before" pictures. Argh. I'm starting from square one. I've decided to alternate days between Richard and Kathy Smith's March to Fitness. The first 15 minutes was tough, not a drop of sweat. The knee lifts came in and I began to sweat. It felt good. The holidays melting off me. We still have the tree up :D and I aerbicized to the tree lights. It added the right touch.

Tomorrow is another day and I'll spend the evening setting goals for myself.

Sweet dreams,
Malia

249/139

MichelleK
01-15-2002, 06:22 AM
This is weird...what happened to the posts from yesterday?

Did yesterday never happen? I sure hope so because when I weighed in last night I lost 7 lbs...I sure hope it wasn't a dream! LOL

I am woman hear me roar! I am back on track and plan to stay there till I get to goal. I know there will be a few detours along the way but I will make it to the end this time and I am taking you all with me!!

Well I have a sleeping baby in my lap and its hard to type so I will catch up to you all when I get to work this morning!

Michelle

LuckyLadyBug
01-15-2002, 07:34 AM
Congrats Prism & Michelle you two are inspiring.....

Tuesday's tip.....

Do it once
Most dieters spend half their lives dieting.
Every January, they start a new diet.
Every February, they give up.
Then in May or June they start again.
By July they've given up again.
Then in September they start again.
But within a month they've quit once again.
And so it goes on. Year after year.
Why spend your whole life dieting?
Do it once, do it properly and get on with the rest of your life

EXACTLY!!!!

Sure hope they have the server fixed...had another panic attack when I couldn't get on last night. :lol:

Grannie39074
01-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Morning all
When I got ready to post last night the server was down. Ahhhh

How is everyone. I checked out a fitness club just for ladies but DH said we couldn't afford it right now.:( OH well I'll have to do it at home.

Food was ok yesterday.
Congrats Prism and Michelle way to go.

Had to take my son to work this morning his trucks oil light keeps coming on. He works 15 miles away so had to get up at 4:45.

LuckyLadyBug
01-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Since my motivation for Monday was lost I want to repost it because I feel like I need a boost.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." Jeremy Kitson

It's only the 15th of January and I already need to regroup at this weight loss issue!!!!

MichelleK
01-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Its such a wonderful day and I am full of motivation! I hope it lasts a full week till my next weigh in...

Malia good job on the exercise...thats a step in the right direction. I have the water thing under control and the food thing seems to be doing good for now...I just need to get my step in gear and find the time to get my rear in motion! Its so hard with a little one!

Grannie when I lost the weight the first time I joined an all womens gym but you know what...after the first 6 weeks I was paying for it and not using it. You really have to be motivated and totally into committing yourself. I found that when I walked 2-3 miles 5 or 6 days a week the weight was coming off just as fast as when I used the gym. Its cheaper..only the cost of a pair of good walking shoes and maybe a tape player and a set of hand weights all of which I already had! I also love the Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies tapes. THey were fun and it wasn't like you were working out!

Ladybug...you can do this with us! Just jump on the band wagon and set your mind to it. Positive thinking...I will do this I will do this...

2Cute where the heck are ya! We miss you! And Thin and Jen and Susie and everyone else! Come out and post! I want to dust you all with my high motivation right now! I want you all to join me on this journey! Or should I say...keep me on the right track!!

Have a great day!
Michelle

2cute2Bfat
01-15-2002, 12:02 PM
It has been awhile since I have been here. Glad to see everything is going fine.
I am not here for long. I am leaving today for Missouri. My mom is having a minor surgery as an outpatient so I will be gone for the week again.

My life is like living in quicksand right now. :( Lots of bad stuff that is trying to pull me under. I am just hanging on. I am trying to not struggle and trust I will float eventually. LOL
"This too shall pass"

I have not read all the old posts yet so I am not responding to everyone.
Welcome to any newcomers.
Congratulations to all the losers.
Hang in there to anyone struggling.

Tuesday Tip.... when life knocks you down.... stand up and dust yourself off and get going again. YOU CAN OVERCOME !!!! I WILL OVERCOME !!!!! :D

I am looking forward to being back with all of you soon and my having my old life again. :wave:

joe anne
01-15-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi friends
Here is my favorite quote:

"The secret of success is to be like a duck, smooth and unruffled on top, but paddling furiously underneath." ~ Bill Cosby "

And here are my new numbers:

***257 ***

Have a GGGRRREEEAAAAT Day and I'll see you all lighter.
Joannne:cool:

katrinabgood
01-15-2002, 03:18 PM
Hey...what's going on??

I had a beaut of a post yesterday, notes to everyone, and a lovely piece for Motivational Monday, it was a LONG post...I even had the foresight to "copy" so that I could paste it in case I lost it like I usually do...and then...I lost it at posting time, "A HA!" I thought, "I'll just paste this masterpiece in, I'm saved!" and that must have been the exact time the server went down.:?: Figures...

Here's my Motivation for Monday...it was in the "Dear Abby" column of Sunday's paper...

Ten Commandments for a Long and Peaceful Life
1. Thou shalt not worry, for worry is the most unproductive of all human activities.
2. Thou shalt not be fearful, for most of the things we fear nevr come to pass.
3. Thou shalt face each problem as it comes. You can handle only one at a time.
4. Thou shalt not cross bridges before you get to them, for no one has yet succeeded in accomplishing this.
5. Thou shalt not take problems to bed with you, for they make very poor bedfellows.
6. Thou shalt not borrow other people's problems. They can take better care of them than you can.
7. Thou shalt be a good listener, for only when you listen do you hear ideas different from your own.
8. Thou shalt not try to relive yesterday for good or ill--it is gone. Concentrate on what is happening in your life today.
9. Thou shalt not become bogged down by frustration, for 50 percent of it is rooted in self-pity and will only interfere with positive actions.
10,Thou shalt count thy blessings, never overlooking the small ones.

Not directly linked to weight loss, but a happy, contented soul is much more open to change for the better than the bitter, self pitying grinch...

Gotta go, need some sleep...I hope to check in again later...

Congrats to you "losers!"

:cool:

thinthinker
01-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Hello everyone! :wave: I don't have time to stay today and am really bummed that the message I left you all yesterday is Gone, gone, gone! Sorry, but I didn't save it. Guess we'll have to do without it. :mad:

Hope all of you are well. Syn lost her dad last night, so keep her in your prayers. Talk to you all soon.

"Women are not inherently passive or peaceful. We're not inherently anything but human." - Robin Morgan

LuckyLadyBug
01-15-2002, 07:10 PM
Michelle I am with you...the last button on my blouse buttoned today - it didn't last week. The scale isn't going down - partly because of the sodium in my soup, I think - so I needed the 'blouse' inspiration.

2Cute I don't know what is wrong but I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Syn Nothing to say but I will hold you in my prayers.

Joe Anne Thanks for the great quote.

Kat Thanks for typing all of that. #1 is such a waste of time and is hard not to do.

I sure hope this server is fixed now. I feel I missed out not getting to read all those wonderful 'lost' posts.
:(

Grannie39074
01-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Evening al
Syn I'm so sorry about your dad. I know what your going through.

Michelle: I wore a blouse for the first time today that I had bought months ago. It feels good.
Kat: I like your post too.

Well I better go. talk to you tomorrow.

katrinabgood
01-16-2002, 01:11 AM
Night Owl Kat here...

I'm off tonight, you'd think I'd be sensible and reacquaint myself with my pillows and down comforter. (Not to mention my husband!);) Ahh, he's snoring and I couldn't sleep yet, so here I am. Made myself a nice cup of chamomile tea and sat right down to catch up on the posts.

Thinthinker... I DID see your post yesterday about the sermon . I thought that you made a wonderful analogy of that and our efforts at weight loss...it really got me thinkin'! Thank you!

Syn, I'm so very sorry. You are in my prayers.

2cute, hope all turns out OK with Mom. Hang in there. We'll be here when you get back!:)

Michelle, your enthusiasm is inspiring! Keep it up!

Lucky, I saw your post on the "Perfect Weigh" thread...is that the name? Deepak, hot water etc...I love the hot water thing! I have gotten to the point where I do not drink coffee at all at work anymore...sometimes tea, sometimes hot water with lemon, but mostly plain ol' hot water...and, surprisingly, I like it! Not sure about the weight loss connection, (didn't weigh in yet this week, ) but I sure do feel better!

joe ann, I like the Bill Cosby quote, isn't he great?

Mary, I agree with Michelle...a good pair of walking shoes costs a lot less than a gym membership. I like to listen to audio books when I walk, makes you lose track of time and be entertained at the same time...BONUS: they're free if you check them out of the library!

I know I'm missing a few here, but when I go back to an earlier thread to catch all the names, I usually lose my post! And it's too late to type all this again! So to everyone else...Hi! :)

My Tuesday Tip is to try the hot water thing. If you have trouble getting all your water in, measure it out at the beginning of your day. (I measure out a gallon--don't always get it ALL in, but if I drink half or more I'm OK) Try drinking some of your water hot. (hot enough that you have to blow on it, not quite boiling) The thought is that it helps to keep things moving along...not to be gross, but think of running hot water through a clogged pipe...nuff said! :o

I'm weighing in tomorrow. fingers are crossed...

OOH, I almost forgot...I saw this and thought it was a good tip too...
"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter

Nigh' night all...:angel:

prism
01-16-2002, 01:57 AM
Hi everyone,

Bombed today. I woke up at 5am and decided to sleep in instead of march to fitness. Wrong move, eating went downhill all day. Well tomorrow is my regular aerobics with richard day. I'm learning sweat and shout. Gotta tell you this, my stomach was cramping last night. He really focused on keeping your stomach in. My poor flab was hurting. I have a nonexistant stomach muscle.

Tomorrow is another day. I've exhausted my supply of soda at home. It's water for me tomorrow. You're all doing well. I keep going after I read your posts. Take care through thick and thin.

Malia

LuckyLadyBug
01-16-2002, 07:38 AM
Another week of maintaining :( I know, better than a gain :) but it does help the motivation if that scale goes down some.

Kat Loved your explanation of drinking hot water!!!:o And your quote. I might have to type that up and put it on my desk at work.

Malia I know what you mean about sore stomach muscles. And once sore it seems every move I make "reminds" me!!!:lol:

I have to get to work so will check in with you all tonight.

Have a happy Wednesday.....

Grannie39074
01-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Morning all

Well Dh got up and went in early so he could take son to work and I went back to bed for a couple of hours. Yesterday I moved a lot used the treadmill and stepper for a few minutes each and just stepped and moved in place. It made my legs sore but no pain no gain.

I'll have to try the hot water thing.

I hate I don't have any tips or anything to offer. Has anyone tried Kashi Melady cereal? I got some Monday it is fairly good and filling.

MichelleK
01-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Good morning everyone!

I just have to report that I had another successful day! I banked 9 points yesterday!! That makes 8 days OP! I can do this I can do this I can do this!! AND SO CAN YOU ALL!

I have lots of work to do today...just little clean up stuff and packing to do...we are moving part of us downstairs on Monday. Exercise!! Hey whatever works! LOL

I will try and catch up with you all a little later today!

Michelle

SusieH
01-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

I have a really bad cold and don't feel like doing anything except sleeping and eating, but I am back to work today, so no sleeping and I am trying not to eat too much.

I didn't do so well since weigh in on Saturday, so I am drastically trying to cut my point intake for the rest of the week.

I am still exercising 2 times a day, but some days it is just soooo hard to get on that bike.

I am trying to stay focused and motivate myself by telling myself that I am just 2.25 pounds away from the 270's and just 4 pounds away from 50 pounds down.

I am so proud of myself today, as I mistakenly purchased a 2X (22-24) and I can fit it!!!!! Yea for me.

Well, sorry I didn't respond to others postings, but I just can't seem to concentrate today, so.....

thinthinker
01-16-2002, 05:48 PM
DO NOT POST HERE!!!

Go To: "300+...And Ready To Try Again #122"

See you there!