Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #1  

Default Martial Arts Again?

I saw there was a thread about MA a year or so ago, but I thought I'd ask around again. Anyone else do MA? I do Kyuki do and Hapkido and they are awesome. The first one is a combination of Tae Kwon Do/Jiu Jitsu/Hapkido/Judo. It feels really empowering to lose weight and kick some butts along the way.

Grasshoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I used to do aikido, but not anymore. Too many back and hip problems now Actually my hip problem might be related to an injury I got when learning to break fall. Jury is still out on that. I wish I could go back, I miss it so much!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

I do tae kwon do. I have been on leave of absence for quite some time, due to an injury and other health problems, but as soon as I get off my crutches (in 1 week from today) I will be back at it. I have been going anyway, just to watch classes.

My husband and son also take tae kwon do with me. It's a family fun time, that's for sure. It's great cause we all practice at home together too. My son is almost 14. He is considering doing the instructor trainee course as he is now old enough. I would love to see him pursue that.

For me, I would just love to get to black belt one day. I have had so many health challenges (fibromyalgia, bone spurs in both heels, plantar fascitis, bulging discs in my lower back L4 and L5 and recently, knee surgery for a torn meniscus that was repaired). Some of the stuff we do in tae kwon do is beyond what I can currently do, but my instructor is big on modification and doing what we are able to do. I would much rather do that than quit. I will get my black belt one day!

Kathy
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #4  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Thanks Barbara! Best wishes to you too. I hope your surgery goes well.

Kathy
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I also have bulging discs, and they cause sciatica. This is part of the reason I can't do intense exercising. The rolling and dropping in aikido would cause it to act up. I've been thinking about doing kenpo karate again (I did it for 4 years as a teenager) but I'm really into the spiritual aspect of aikido as well as the physical.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #6  

Default Tae Kwon Do

Hello,
I am 37 and I take Tae Kwon Do along with my two children. We are all 2nd degree black belts. We started at the same time and tested for both Black belts together. It has been a great experience not only for myself getting in better shape and feeling stronger but, for my children. I have watched them grow with more self discipline and confidence over the past 6 years. We have also learned Kendo (sword), nunchuks and the bo staff which are requirements at our school to take the black belt testing. I noticed at first I had a lot of sore knees, ankles, etc. But, after about a year I was a lot stronger and the soreness disappeared. I think also because of the stretching required by Tae Kwon Do I am a lot more flexible. I couldn't even think of doing the side splits at all 6 years ago and now at 37 I can go all the way to the floor. I also noticed I could sleep better and take less headache medicine and even allergy medicine. I started Tae Kwon do at 5'6" and 168 lbs. I didn't diet or eat low calorie, etc food. I just ate normally and went to Tae Kwon Do 4 days a week for an hour. I am now 129lbs and can do 200 sit ups and 150 push-ups at a time. I also think Tae Kwon do has made me a stronger person mentally. I recommend this martial art to anyone. Just make sure you find a good school where they teach respect and self-discipline as the main focus.
Jules881 is offline   Reply With Quote