Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #1  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Default Haven't gained, but starting to feel fat?

Ok, its been about weeks now. I've pretty much been around the same weight (163-166). There's just been a lot going on in my life right now, and I decided to maintain for a while and go back to losing when the stress subsides.

However, I think I'm so used to seeing the scale go down and having my body feel lighter that I've started feeling fat. I complain a lot to DH about how my stomach seems huge, did I gain back 8 pounds or something? Nope. I was happy when I got to this point, but now I am not happy at my current weight. My long term goal is 140-145. I really AM happy at my current weight compared to my old weight, but I've been slowly losing (started in Feb 2006) on purpose and I've almost started to forget how big I was and just how crappy I felt back then.

Well, I suppose this is a rant more than anything. Not looking for advice. I just started on the "losing" track again and not maintaining so hopefully that will start making me feel better. I've been through this before too and so I know it is just temporary. Am I alone here?
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't think you're alone, modkittn. I think it's common to feel dissatisfaction if one still has further to go. As you said, we forget what it used to be like!

To give yourself a clue, see if you can find a couple of bigger sacks of flour--or a couple of heavier hand weights--and without hurting yourself, see what it's like to try to carry those around for awhile. That might help you get a new view of how far you've come.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/205/175

Height: 5'11"

I've lost nearly as much as my 4 yr. old weighs. I know when I carry him up the stairs sometimes, I'm rather exerted, can't wait to put that bebe down.

I'll have to remember that myself, because although some days I'm really happy about how far I've come, other days I get down about how far I have to go and how far I let myself go too I guess.

So I can relate.

Last edited by hotmama2three; 10-11-2007 at 11:54 AM.
hotmama2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I've been experiencing some of this lately too. I haven't experienced really active weight loss in over a year, maybe drifted down about 10 pounds very slooooowly after I lost the first 30 (that took about 6 months). I think part of the reason I'm really trying to get back at it is the new dissatisfaction I'm feeling. I think starting to forget what it was like when I was so much heavier has something to do with it.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/157/138

Height: 5.1

Thumbs up krisyyuryyub

How I know how you are feeling! First and formost...be happy to maintain...if your not gaining you are still winning. Right....? When stress overcomes us...let that be your first to deal with. If you know the problem, take the time to work it out. Then, get back on track. I started "losing" in April of 06....it is now Oct. of 07...as like you, i'm not where I wanna be. Things have come between me and my "focus" but, I did'nt let go of it. In all my attempts in the past, I lost the weight. Only to gain it back. This time my goal is the "maintnence. So, look in the mirror and when you are on that scale, and don't loose the faith...you have made it this far....patience is your refuge...
krisyyuryyub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/157/138

Height: 5.1

And for that quick reminder of how much you have lost. Next time you go to the market, pick up 2 or 3 ,10 pound bag of potatos. What an eye opener that is....and take your family or a friend. Let them see how far you have come!!
krisyyuryyub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hmm, I think I see what you mean. But for me, it mainly happens when, for a reason or another, I haven't been lifting weights for some time. My weight on the scale stays the same, but then I have the feeling that I'm losing definition, that I'm "fatter inside", sort of... I don't know how to explain. It's probably because I really am fatter somehow.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I've lost nearly as much as my 4 yr. old weighs.
There's a recent thread in 20somethings about creative answers to how much have you lost. Posters have lost the equivalent of their dogs, their cats, large quantities of Milky Way bars, etc.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #9  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

I think keeping clothes that are now too big for you can be really encouraging. I never thought in a million years I'd fit back into my old jeans, but when I did (even though it was a little tight) it was an acheivement I could really hold onto. I also am getting that "oh my god I'm so fat" feeling, partially precipitated, I suspect, by getting off track for about a week, but it really helps to reassure myself that no, I haven't gained weight, I haven't lost fitness. Knowing that I'm doing as much as, probably more, for my health than people around me who weigh less really helps me get through feeling down without having to resort to eating to cheer myself up.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Well LORI since you are really not looking for advice, I'll just give you a
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #11  
Happy New Rears!

Hi modkittn, I kind of know what you mean. I was doing well on my diet and feeling good... then last week I had 3 dinner functions to go to and had big dinners (with desserts) at each of them. I suddenly felt fat, I can't explain it... I hadn't gained anything and was wearing the same clothes but I FELT fat, sluggish, heavy, bloated and I was miserable.

For the past 3 days I was good and I'm starting to lose that feeling now and start to feel good again. I should know better by now that I feel rotten when I overeat (physically & mentally) but I don't learn my lesson and do it again and again and again. I wish I could stop it but I get so tempted at these dinners.
ThinGirl in FatBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I don't have advice for you but did want to tell you I notice the exact same thing, if it makes you feel any better. Two months ago when I first hit this weight, I felt amazing. Now, I just feel fat and frumpy most of the time...and I've been working out since then and am much stronger than I was then so I have no reason to feel this way. It's just from not watching the scale go down and my clothes get looser everyday.

I wonder if we will ever get to a point that our lives do not revolve our weight? *sigh* I look forward to that day...but I guess it's likely never going to happen, for me anyway.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

goinforthegold, it's so odd that one can weigh 113 pounds and feel "fat and frumpy." Because there is no way in reality that you ARE fat and frumpy. But of course many women do feel like that from time to time regardless of weight.

I wonder what that feeling is really about... it can't be about reality... it must be a state of mind in which one is dissatisfied or feeling inadequate, and it gets focused on the body.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 AM   #14  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hey Mod...

Looking at your height of 5'8" - you are in the goal range for your weight. I bet you look marvelous.

Annie
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM   #15  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

I understand how you feel too... it's like sometimes when the scale says i have lost, i'm gobsmacked because i feel fatter than i did the day before! And sometimes when it says i've gained i feel slimmer

The scales are trying to trick us!
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote