100 lb. Club - What are your Binge Trigger Foods? (WARNING OFF-PLAN FOOD TALK)

MugCanDoIt
10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I can't have these items in the house:

Peanut Butter
Bagels
Soy Milk, cause then I eat cereal, then eat some more, and so on...
cheerios

GirlyGirlSebas
10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Cake, cookies, doughnuts..etc. If its starchy and sweet, it calls to me all day long!

Marseille
10-05-2007, 12:25 PM
1. Fruit snacks
2. Chips of any variety
3. Anything that even remotely resembles cake

h05299782
10-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Pringles, Walkers crisps, Krispy Kremes, Maryland cookies and bags of Haribo are my binge trigger foods. It's not good
xXx

hellokitty81668
10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
cake, ice cream, cookies, pasteries, little debbies, you get the idea.
Dd birthday is coming up and she wants a cake, I am dreading the day :(
cheryl

Prissiroo
10-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Is it possible for your triggers to not necessarily be food? While I do LOVE anything chocolate/peanut butter - I don't "crave" it - but anytime I'm alone - I'll eat anything and everything. lol...maybe lonliness is my trigger???

Lovely
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Any pre-made or frozen lasagna and/or pasta dinner.

If I have to make it myself, I'm okay. But if it's as easy as popping it in the oven or microwave for a few, I'll eat a family sized meal for dinner every night. It's happened many a time before.

It's just so easy for me to overindulge in pasta. Especially when it includes sauce & cheese.

Lovely
10-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Is it possible for your triggers to not necessarily be food? While I do LOVE anything chocolate/peanut butter - I don't "crave" it - but anytime I'm alone - I'll eat anything and everything. lol...maybe lonliness is my trigger???

Or boredom? Feelings are definite triggers.

mandalinn82
10-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Cashews particularly, but really any nuts
Homemade frosting
Cookie dough
Non-portioned snack foods like pretzels/crackers/etc. They don't trigger binges if they are individually portioned, but even if I get little baggies and bag them up the second I get home, I won't stop at one baggie.

LaurieDawn
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I dreamed that I spent $100 on a huge bag of freshly-baked sugar cookies, and then proceeded to eat them all. I am also constantly dreaming about donuts, though I have never been a huge donut fanatic. My favorite binge food, though, was always a roll of pre-made cookie dough. Every time I buy yogurt now, I almost invariable drift a few shelves over, pick up that cookie dough, and hold it for a few seconds before putting it down and walking away.

Lovely
10-05-2007, 01:38 PM
I dreamed that I spent $100 on a huge bag of freshly-baked sugar cookies, and then proceeded to eat them all. I am also constantly dreaming about donuts, though I have never been a huge donut fanatic. My favorite binge food, though, was always a roll of pre-made cookie dough. Every time I buy yogurt now, I almost invariable drift a few shelves over, pick up that cookie dough, and hold it for a few seconds before putting it down and walking away.

Oh wow, LaurieDawn. I forgot how good that stuff is. I'm glad you have the willpower to put it down. I know I wouldn't! lol

katmeow
10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
REALLY good pizza... I'm not talking Dominos or Pizza Hut... but fave pizzaria type pizza. YUUMMMMOOO

Hepzibuh
10-05-2007, 02:09 PM
First post!

I'm a greasy/salty/crunchy person. When someone told me once to substitute carrot sticks for potato chips I laughed out loud.

If I stay away from potato chips for awhile, that first fresh chip out of the bag is positively orgasmic.

So, my problem foods are potato chips (including Pringles) and Double-Stuf Oreos (I twist them apart and make Quadruple-Stuf Oreos).

I'm sure there are more, but I don't want to think hard enough to remember them becaue I might start craving them.

Cassie501107
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Chocolate, pasta, potatoes, cheese (OMGawsh, I LOVE cheese), pizza...okay, honestly...I can binge on darn near anything.:^:

Lovely
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
First post!

I'm a greasy/salty/crunchy person. When someone told me once to substitute carrot sticks for potato chips I laughed out loud.

If I stay away from potato chips for awhile, that first fresh chip out of the bag is positively orgasmic.

So, my problem foods are potato chips (including Pringles) and Double-Stuf Oreos (I twist them apart and make Quadruple-Stuf Oreos).

I'm sure there are more, but I don't want to think hard enough to remember them becaue I might start craving them.

Hi Hepzibuh! :welcome: ^^

Robin41
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Ahh, the quadruple Oreo. My old friend. A bag of Oreos is a single serving, isn't it? Welcome Hepzibuh, I think we have a lot in common.

Grease, salt and chocolate. Not necessarily in that order.

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Green olives lol. I don't eat them out of the jar anymore I put what I want to have in a bowl. I sat watching a movie one time and ate half a jar of green olives.

gina1221
10-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Pizza (just about any variety). I love pizza! I hear so many people talk about having one slice and a salad... are you kidding me!?! That would never do - I just can't have any!

And nutter butter cookies, they are not allowed in the house! I pick them up every time I am at the grocery store, carry them around, and then put them back... ugh!

rockinrobin
10-05-2007, 03:41 PM
There are tons and tons of things I can no longer keep in my home. The usual suspects - cookies, ice cream, cakes and plenty of "real" food items as well, like pasta, rice and fried anything. And of course most cereals. That's a big one for me.

Certain times those item CAN be in my home (although they're not) and I wouldn't care at all. It wouldn't phase me, and other times - it would be torture and would not end up well.

There are certain times when I can binge on even my healthy "on plan" food. Without a doubt. I've got to do everything in my power to fight it tooth and nail. The binge monster may be buried most of the time, but he does make an appearance every now and then. I absolutely HATE those times. Hate em', hate em', HATE EM'.

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 03:47 PM
There is one thing I never thought about until I read Robins post. I no longer have fried foods. I can take it or leave it don't really miss it BUT I eat fried foods, come on who doesn't love mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers and onion rings lol then I just crave it. I don't crave it now so I will just do without it.

I found I can spray a pan with spray oil put breaded chicken breasts on the pan and spray the chicken with the oil and I am just fine. Kind of the same as the fried foods just not so bad for me.

rockinrobin
10-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I probably should have said that there are things that not only can't I keep in the house, but that I WON'T keep in my house. Meaning they will never, ever be on my menu again. That would be fried foods. The thought of cooking food in tons of oil is simply repulsive to me. I love chicken without having to fry it now and would never dream of ruining a perfectly good chicken breast by drowning it in oil.

As far as the cookies, cakes and ice cream - that I WILL eat again. In extreme moderation of course. Cookies and cake I CAN have in my house and it's most often safe, but 99% of the time, I don't. Ice cream, that can not be in my house. EVER. At least until my 85th birthday or so, cause then all bets are off ;). The whole family has been put on notice - if they want ice cream - it's got to be eaten outside of our home. Or they need to bring home single serving sizes and eat it IMMEDIATELY.

Trazey34
10-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I think mine is more situational - if i'm around people shoving food in i tend to do it too (used to i mean ;) ), chocolate i always thought was a big one but i've had 30 kit kat bars in my house for weeks and haven't been tempted (i have them for halloween).

Definitely ice cream -- i tried frozen yogurt and liked it just as well, so i ate wayyyyyy too much of it LOL don't buy it now :(

I used to lovvvve McDonald's even tho it's garbage -- loved the double cheeseburger, med fries and diet coke...then over to DQ for a medium blizzard with Reese's peanut butter cups! I can't imagine how THAT made me fat??? i only did it on Saturdays and Sundays LOL gadzooooks what was i thinking????

GirlyGirlSebas
10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Last week, I ran through the drive-thru for the girls (I didn't have anything, promise!) I took a sip of little one's shake....yuk! It tasted powdery and artificial. I used to drink those things all the time. Now, if I want to splurge on a milk shake, it has to be the real thing.....real ice cream, real milk. None of this fake stuff for me! I deserve only the best.:D The same thing for cheeseburgers. I'd rather have one off of Hubby's grill than one from (insert fast food restaurant here.)

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
girlygirl
I am the same way. I don't eat and never did eat fast food. Ok maybe once a year. Just nasty stuff. I get a milk shake it is the real stuff and better for you that that junk they sell at most fast food places. Yummm milk shake sounds good this weekend. Think that might just be our treat at the camp grounds.

Cassie501107
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Last week, I ran through the drive-thru for the girls (I didn't have anything, promise!) I took a sip of little one's shake....yuk! It tasted powdery and artificial. I used to drink those things all the time. Now, if I want to splurge on a milk shake, it has to be the real thing.....real ice cream, real milk. None of this fake stuff for me! I deserve only the best.:D The same thing for cheeseburgers. I'd rather have one off of Hubby's grill than one from (insert fast food restaurant here.)

Oh maaaan...when my husband grills burgers...:drool: no fast food comes close! Yum!

Cassie501107
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
I thought of another BIG one for me...popcorn. Like, from the movie theater. I think that if given the chance, I could eat it 24 hours non-stop.:o

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Cassie
I found I really like the 98% fat free stuff. Never really cared for pop corn much ( except at the movies of course and that stuff is so bad for you ) but now when I want a little treat a mini bag of that 98% stuff is pretty good. Have it maybe once a week.

Cassie501107
10-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I'll have to get some of that....and yeah, the movie theater popcorn is HORRIBLE, but man...it's good. Ha!:p

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I thought about what the heading is for this thread and where it says Warning off plan food talk. I don't have a set plan so there isn't anything that I can't have if I want it lol

Glory87
10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Anything sweet, crunchy, carby, crispy, baked. Nuts, trailmix, dried fruit, ice cream, cold cereal. I don't bring any kind of ice cream, packaged cookies, crackers, pretzels into the house - I can't stop eating it. Single serve in public can be okay - mine a mini cup of dark chocolate gelato at Whole Foods or splitting chocolate molten lava cake in a restaurant. I just can't handle full packages at home!

xJox
10-05-2007, 05:30 PM
I try to allow myself to have anything that I want if I REALLY want it, but just in moderation. Its worked well.. until this past weekend.. all bets were off. I was away from home, with family, all eating like pigs, and I did the same! Gained 3 lbs in 2 days!!!! I am a binge eater. I admit it. There are lots of things that are triggers for me.

Peanut Butter
Bagels
Chips
Pizza
BBQ hotdogs
Cookie Dough
Pumpkin Little Debbie Cakes

I can have candy bars, cookies, ice cream (unless its butter pecan), etc in the house and I do fine. Dont even touch it.

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Baileysmom

It can be hard when you are away from home. We set up this weekend and everyone called to make sure we would have what I wanted there to eat and nothing there I didn't want there. lol I told them eat what you want. As long as I have what I am wanting I will be fine.

tamaralynn
10-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Potato chips - especially salt and vinegar. Baked chips I won't bother with, but the good ol greasy Lays/Ruffels potato chips is my #1 NO NO within a 50 ft radius of my house!

LaurieDawn
10-05-2007, 07:17 PM
"I saw an angel in the marble and I chiseled until I set it free."
Michelangelo

Glory - I just read your Michelangelo quotation in your signature, and - to my surprise - I had a very sudden, dramatic reaction. Tears welling up, my throat swelling... What a profound, profound thought. Thank you for sharing it.

Glory87
10-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey Laurie, glad you like the quote, I had a very similar reaction to it the first time I read it. It fit perfectly how I felt about my weight loss.

Miss Lili
10-05-2007, 10:36 PM
MASHED POTATOES!!! And Tamaralynn, I'm right with you on salt and vinegar chips - but when I eat them my ankles blow up like hot air balloons!

rockinrobin
10-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I thought about what the heading is for this thread and where it says Warning off plan food talk. I don't have a set plan so there isn't anything that I can't have if I want it lol

I think lots of us, most in fact, DO allow most things into their "diet" in moderation of course. That that is in fact - the plan. But usually it's in small quantities and not all that often.

Some people prefer to not hear/read about those food items and have asked to be forewarned, and that's why there's a warning in the title.

Marseille
10-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm right with you on salt and vinegar chips - but when I eat them my ankles blow up like hot air balloons!

I LOVE salt and vinegar chips. Especially Dakota Style. When I was growing up they made those Dakota Style chips about 20 miles from my house in a little tiny factory. You could go there and eat them while they were still hot!!! I used to eat them until my tongue was actually sore from the salt and vinegar.

WOW is my mouth watering now.

athena 8
10-06-2007, 01:15 AM
French fries, potato chips, and mashed potatoes. I seem to have a potato obsession. :) French fries are the absolute worst though. Just indulging in one serving leaves me craving them for days and days. I can't keep the pre-cut/frozen ones in the house anymore, and I'm constantly fighting the urge to make homemade fries from any potatoes I have in the cupboard.

AuntChuChu
10-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Anything sweet, p'nut butter, I even eat things that I don't like when I depressed.

Dawn2Dusk
10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I absolutely love those grocery store potato salads, hot dogs and strawberry flavored Twizzlers. It's horrible, I eat them non-stop. We never keep them at home so, until recently, I only binged them in my car. *Embarassed*

JustSayNoToDiets
10-06-2007, 01:42 PM
CARBS CARBS AND MORE CARBS! I love pasta... cold, hot, with sauce, without sauce, salad types, however they come. Sooooo... I've changed to wheat pasta and I control the portion size and the number of times I have it in a week. But I still love pasta!

Kati
10-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Meat, deepfried, in butter with drizzled butter and a side of greasey gravey to dip it in.

I am just going for the low fat thing, and have dropped my fat by close to 80% and I am seeing some changes. But, if I try to even eat a bit of deep fried something, I am lost. Just found my way out of fat **** yesterday after wallowing in it for two days. GAH

JellyBelly1908
10-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Chicken Alfredo
Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch Ice Cream
Blue Bell's Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Blue Bell's Cookies-n-cream Ice Cream
Biscuits + jelly/marmalade

I haven't had any of the aforementioned items in about two months. :(

CousinRockingChair
10-07-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't normally post here, but I couldn't resist this thread, I thought *God I have such a long answer to it LOL*

I don't like fast food, greasy food or meaty foods. Which is a blessing because there are loads of other danger/trigger/binge foods:

-pic n mix sweets from candy counters
-ice cream, any
-crumpets with lowfat cream cheese
-milkshake, frijj, any
-chocolate
-some sorts of crisps
-individual dessert things, not lowfat yoghurts alas lol
-vegetable pizza
-tinned sweetcorn (huh?)
-cheese, chopped chunks of
-cookies, softbaked
-prepackaged sandwiches from supermarket
-..etc

Emily
xxx

FresnoBeeDude
10-07-2007, 09:59 AM
1. Peanut Butter. Was never a fanatic of it until I started dieting. If it wasn't for Better 'N Peanut Butter, I would have to discontinue this
2. Potato Chips. I had several coupons for these FlatEarth chips. A serving of vegetables (or fruit) per serving. Tasted too good to be true. Sure I got all my veggie serving in 1 shot by down the bag, but it cost way too much in calories/carbs.
3. Flavored Cheerios. I had bought a bunch of convenience store servings of cereals, and re-use the plastic containers. This does help with portion control (nutritional label for the regular Cheerios printed on the container). Will use a digital scal to weigh out the flavored stuff (Honey Nut, Crunch, Berry Blast, Yogurt, etc). Snacking on regular Cheerios throughout the day is no problem, but when it comes to this flavored stuff, I can down a whole box in 1 day.
4. Coffee. I never got into coffee before dieting. When I 1st went on a diet, I was told this was a "free food". Shortly after I started dieting, I got an enticing offer from Gevalia. Hazelnut I will kill for. Lately I have been brewing coffee with 1/2 regular, 1/2 de-caf. I want to wean myself off of caffeine.
5. Ice Cream. Can't stop with ice-cream. Now when I treat myself, I will only buy a pint, and it has to be some sorta reduced flat (sherbet doesn't cut it)

Lyn2007
10-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Mine are:
entire pans of brownies (or a bowl of batter)
entire sheets of hot chocolate chip cookies (or bowls of dough!)
cans of Pringles with Cokes
5 or 6 Nathans or Hebrew Nationals hot dogs on toasted buns with brown mustard
big bowls of fettucine alfredo... homemade, frozen, doesnt matter
Homemade macaroni and cheese. OMG I can eat the whole pan.
Ice cream
Little Debbie Swiss Rolls

Lyn
TWENTY ONE pounds gone!
My Blog:
www.escapefromobesity.blogspot.com

SuchAPrettyFace
10-08-2007, 12:47 AM
My binges have very little to do with what kind of food it is. I am not usually one for sweets unless chocolate is involved.

Unless...it's free.

Last binge I had, we had a food day at work, with frozen custard, donuts, brownies, etc. Ugh. :barf: I justified it by it being free.

I am getting better at saying no.

As for things I can't keep in the house:
potato chips of any kind, especially cheese chips
cheese popcorn, especially hot cheese corn
almond roca

BerkshireGrl
10-08-2007, 01:12 AM
The foods I will down in an instant if they are lurking in my kitchen:

* Pizza... my #1 addiction, bar none.
* Those bagged Italian pasta frozen meals (blast you, Bertolli)
* Cashews
* Cheese, especially extra sharp cheddar
* Mac & cheese, homemade is better but boxed is ok too!

Pretty much any carb with cheese mixed in:
* Mashed potatoes with shredded cheese
* Garlic bread with cheese
* Pasta with cheese
* Grilled cheese sandwiches

Wait, I think I felt an artery clog... :lol:

I have been known to eat cheddar dipped in ketchup. Or BBQ sauce. :o In private, of course! :dizzy:

lewelaine
10-08-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a few things I have to avoid:

black or red licorice. For me there is no stop until the bag is gone whatever the size

ketchup.

cheesy snack crackers. I'll eat the whole package and I have a wheat intolerance and I'll pay for it later. Yet I'll still do it.

potatoes of any form (friend,mashed,soup, what have you)

cara1980
10-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Anything with sugar!

rockinrobin
10-08-2007, 10:25 AM
OMG, I forgot a biggie here - CHEESECAKE. There is no stopping me with that stuff. None whatsoever.

tingirl
10-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Peanut Butter. I can't have it anywhere near me or I will eat the entire jar. It is the one thing I have never been able to control. Ice Cream and Pizza are tough, but I can at least control those.

BattleAx
10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm in with the cheese crowd, and sometimes the sweet crowd. Pizza, fetuccine alfredo, homemade macaroni and cheese, baked potato with butter, sour cream and cheese, fondue, you name it. I must have eaten a thousand pounds of cheese a year.

Butter slathered over fresh artisan bread.

Potato chips.

Sometimes it's cookie dough or some other delectable dessert.

It's got to be really good stuff, though...I haven't had a taste for the overly processed food with lots of chemicals/preservatives for several years.

Miss Valentine
10-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Pizza is a really bad one for me.
French Silk ice cream is a bad one for me too.

But BBQ is the worst of all. I love it so much, and will eat until I'm in pain.

BerkshireGrl
10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
But BBQ is the worst of all. I love it so much, and will eat until I'm in pain.

How could I forget my BBQ addiction?! :drool:

Oh yeah... and Reuben sandwiches. Serious problem with Reubens. I used to get the most gigantic ones in Texas from Schlotzsky's Deli in College Station.

And those extra pounds just SNUCK UP on me, really! :nose: