Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone use a weight vest?

Hi all,

Does anyone here use a weight vest? I am interested in trying it on my lunch-hour walk. I love to lift weights, but frankly, I don't always have the time. I think this might help fill the gap.

If you have one, have you had success with it?

Thanks!
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #2  
Mel

How are you planning to use it?

I incorporate weight vest training when I'm training young and already fit high school or off-season college athletes. They do short sprints while wearing it- much like pulling a weight sled and sprinting, or being attached to a large stretchy band. It increases the load and increases explosive strength.

If you are using it just to try to burn more calories, I think it would be detrimental to your joints.

Just my opinion--

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Mel,

Thanks for the response!

I'm a former rugby/semi-pro football player who has let the baby weight linger just a little too long. Now I have this sweet metabolic-syndrome-looking gut that I'm trying to get rid of...ugh...

So, despite my ticker weight (eek!) and this enormous post-baby paunch, I'm in pretty decent shape and I'm looking to eventually better develop some explosive power, maybe running some fartleks with it?

Right now I weigh too much for sprinting (everything jiggles...ugh!) but as you suggest, I thought it might help me burn more calories if I could throw it on and do nice slow sets of stairs (sort of like a body-weight + 20 step-up) in my work building until I get closer to 155-- which is a more comfortable running weight for me.

Thanks for your thoughts though-- my knees probably would not be too excited at the prospect, so I should probably reconsider =)
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #4  
Mel

Another way to look at it is you would just be doing your workout as if you weighed X pounds more on top. Whenever I pick up a pair of 30 pound dumbbells and do step ups, I'm amazed that I walked around all the time with more than that weight on my poor knees!

I would add more intensity and more actual weight training before you add a weight vest!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote