Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Default 5 pounds Happy/glucose not so Happy

Hello,
I am now physically fit on the outside and I wanted to make sure I was healthy on my insides too, so I saw my doctor today for a wellness physical. After having to fast for my blood work etc. I weighed in at home at 145 stark naked this morning before I left, but at the doctors office I weighed in at 140 fully clothed, and with a bmi of 20.98. So I was beyond happy to see myself thinner, 'specially because it is so strange to weigh 5 pounds less at the doctors office isn't it, and fully clothed? Anyways I felt great seeing that number in black and white, but somebodys scale isn't the most accurate! I will still go by what my scale reads, being this is the one where I lost my 25 pounds on, so according to the dr's scale, I now lost 30! Does anybody go by the doctors scale, it was one of those big ole fancy ones that does your height too, however my height was right on 5 ft 8.5 inches.

All but 1 of my tests came back with great results. My glucose (sugars) were elevated. He said the new range is between 70-99 mg/dl and mine is 114. So this frightned me a little bit as I am thinking pre-diabetes. He asked if I eat alot of sugar and I am so guilty there, I have a huge sweet tooth. I think the majority of my sugars come from fruits though, banana's, grapes, apples, prunes, strawberries, but I do eat granola bars, candy etc.

Does anybody know if it is possible to go overboard on the fake sugars? Will this cause a rise in your glucose? I eat a lot of fat free yogurt, diet pop, diet hot chocolate, hot tea with a lot of splenda, splenda in my oatmeal, fiber one which has fake sugar in it too, etc. I am going back to have glucose test re-done next week as he wants to check it again just to be sure, but of course I am worrying already that my sweet days are coming to an end... Anybody else have elevated glucose?
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I've had elevated glucose before, but I'm a diabetic so I probably don't count

I read an article once that fake sugars, in healthy, insulin-producing people, actually make you produce more insulin because the body is preparing for sugar. This often makes people subconsciously crave sugar and gives them the tendency to eat more of it.

I actually didn't know 114 was a high number. One of my friends (who ironically is not fat at all - just normal sized - 6? 8 maybe?) tested her blood sugar once because she was curious. Hers was 126... she was later diagnosed as "pre diabetic" but she doesn't have to take any medication for it and was told it was not a big deal. She started eating a more low carb diet. I don't know if she's still pre diabetic, but she's healthy anyway.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Night - I'm with you on 114 not sounding high, but of course that's because my DH is type 1 diabetic. I'm psyched when he's tests at 114.

Evil - Congrats on your weight loss! You sound very slim, especially for being so tall. About the BGL - how long had it been since you'd eaten before being tested? If you just had a snack or drink, that could have done it. Or was it a fasting BGL... now that would be more accurate.

Night - are you on a pump?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #4  

Thanks night & claire for your replies.

Yes I was on a 12 hr fast before I went in to the dr., he said he was concerned that my glucose was 114 & called it "elevated", so he seemed somewhat concerned and wants to have it re-rested just to be sure it wasn't miss read...

I've been reading online a bit tonight and it sounds as if carbs make the glucose rise, I also read that bananas should be limited to 1 a day. I think I ate 3 bananas yesterday with my meals, maybe the sugar in those put me over the top.... Hmnnn....imagine my shock when I didn't get to eat breakfast or lunch today till late being I was at the dr. , so when I got home I ate a big bowl of fiber cereal, 2 banana's, milk, dry whole wheat toast, and almonds. ......If I only new about the bananas EARLIER.. Oh well I know now,...... bananas moderation.....

Yeah I have an athletes body and I am tall, so that elongates the torso.. thanks for callin me slim, I appreciate the word! My doctor told me that I was in great shape!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Interesting about the bananas - makes sense!

I hope when you get it tested again, it's come down to normal. At least you are more aware now!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #6  

Yes indeedie. The riper the bananas the more sugar they have in them....
Yeah I hope it is more normal next week, but if it is not, I will be working to get it under control before it becomes a problem...
Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Almost 5'9" and 140 pounds? YUP that's slim! I bet you look awesome, evilwomaniamshe And if you skip the bananas next time before testing, you probably will no longer have elevated glucose.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #8  

Thanks night, I will give the no bananas a try I will go 5 days without them before testing and see if that makes a difference..
Thanks for callin me slim.... Hellllllllloooo your mighty slim too ya know..., 142 and only 1.5 inches shorter, Yup, your mightly slim yourself!