100 lb. Club - October's What's For Dinner Tonight?

MugCanDoIt
10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Tonight we are having chile dogs, but mine will be a veggie dog with vegetarian chile on top with onions. I just may make some oven fries made with Pam Spray too. I hope they are good.....dont know about the veggie dogs yet. :^:

hellokitty81668
10-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Mug,
I eat Smart dogs, and like them, they are not hot dogs, but I like them
Tonight I am making flounder fillets( 1 fillet for me @ 90 calories) baking it with some spices and I eat it with some veggies and 2 corn torillas and salsa.
I buy the fillets at Sam's, they are frozen, and easy to make.
cheryl

SoulBliss
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Which brand are they? Some are better than others, but with chili, they all tend to be pretty good. We eat them with a fork and knife, because we load 'em up with chopped onions, chili and sometimes other toppings too.

Tonight in my home:

Steamed broccoli with lime juice and nutritional yeast

Quinoa cooked in vegetable broth topped with eggplant, tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, oregano, pepper and himalayan sea salt

Beet, onion and carrot salad with chickpeas, lemon juice and umeboshi vinegar

Sliced oranges

royalsfan1
10-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I love this thread! It's great for dinner ideas.

I haven't tried the veggie dogs, yet, but I'd like to. What are the calorie counts on the ones you have? I have bought the Apple and Chicken smoked sausages from Costco. They're 160 calories each for a BIG sausage link. They're really yummy!

Tonight my kids are eating at church but since I don't like to leave myself vulnerable to whatever they're serving, I pack my own. I'll be taking leftover taco soup from Monday night and some black seedless grapes. It's pretty cloudy and getting cooler (below 85 constitutes cooler????) so I think it's going to be YUMMY!

SoulBliss
10-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Tonight I am making flounder fillets( 1 fillet for me @ 90 calories) baking it with some spices and I eat it with some veggies and 2 corn torillas and salsa.
What kind of spices? What kind of veggies? :)

Trazey34
10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
dinner is "fake tacos" heheh 1/2 xtra lean ground beef, 1/2 ground turkey, with the taco seasoning, spoon into romaine lettuce leafs, a sprinkle of low fat cheese, gobs of yummy salsa, i don't have sour cream so i dribble a tiny bit of low-cal ranch dressing and yum! i love it on the lettuce leaf, i always kind of hated taco shells LOL

boaterswife
10-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Crazy night for us with field hockey, soccer and dance all in the same evening. We're having cola chicken over rice with steamed mixed veggies. Quick and easy, I'll put it in the crock pot before we leave for all the activities and dinner will be ready when we get home....it'll be better for us and quicker than even stopping at a drive through!

hellokitty81668
10-03-2007, 10:31 AM
What kind of spices? What kind of veggies? :)

spices, might be lemon pepper, red chili flakes( I love spices), and papirika for color, no oil, just some pam.... Veggies either steamed broccoli, or just some pickled onions, or baked sweet potato, as you can see this is still a meal in the making. For the family I saute the flounder in some oil, after seasoning it, I serve it with rice for them, and some type of veggie. Any other questions please ask.
cheryl

ShyCammie
10-03-2007, 10:36 AM
So, what's "Cola Chicken"?
Y'all have great healthy ideas.
I'm steaming broccoli tonight and frying up some "burgers" with herbs...we'll see how that goes.
:faint:

Torister
10-03-2007, 10:37 AM
We are grilling chicken breasts on the grill. I will slice them up and serve on a freshly made salad with some dressing. YUM!

Jpye
10-03-2007, 11:23 AM
I am cooking Salsa Chicken in the crockpot today! It will be ready when I get home from work. :D It is chicken breasts, salsa, some condensed cream of mushroom soup, and reduced sodium taco seasoning. When I get home I will put some low fat sour cream in it. :carrot: Delicious!!

Pita09
10-03-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm making my own version of shake-n-bake chicken and roasted veggies.

mandalinn82
10-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Lemon Chicken Pasta, as described on the 101 Things to Do with Chicken thread

katmeow
10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I am not a fan of the veggie dogs. I think the Hebrew National 99% fat free dogs rock though! My kids eat them and don't know the difference.

Tonight I am having gingered flank steak, salad, and rosemary potato wedges. The total WW point value for the meal is 6. I belong to a recipe club that cranks out awesome food ideas so I am spoiled. I can no longer get excited about a plain chicken breast.

I like this thread. It is always nice to get new ideas.

Cassie501107
10-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Chicken tacos for most of the family, I'll be making my chicken "taco" into a chicken taco salad. Got the chicken breasts and salsa in the crock pot now, I'll throw them on a bed of lettuce, tomato, and low fat cheese later...mmm!

boaterswife
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
So, what's "Cola Chicken"?

Same as the cola chicken in the 101 Ways to Fix Chicken thread, but proportions are a little different.

Original recipe (that I tried) was 1 can of any diet cola and 1 cup of ketchup...mix together and cook your chicken breasts in it for 1 hour covered, then remove lid and let reduce to desired consitancy.

I use the same size portions 1 can/1 cup, but I cut the chicken breasts into cubes (about the size of chinese food) and do it in the crock pot/slow cooker. Take the lid off to let it thicken as you do your instant brown rice and nuke the frozen mixed veggies. Dinner takes about 15 minutes total when I get home!

...oh yeah, I like Diet Pepsi/Heinz Ketchup combo the best!

SuchAPrettyFace
10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I applaud all of you in your cooking efforts, I am having Kashi 'cheerios' for dinner. :lol:

phantastica
10-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm baking some tilapia, seasoned with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and a little sesame oil. I'll probably have that with some raw pepper strips and some homemade baba ganouj and baked tortilla wedges for "chips".

Glory87
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I am making barbeque chicken salad.

* Chicken breast with organic Trader Joe's sauce BBQ sauce
* Field greens
* Tomatoes
* Black beans
* Corn
* Avocado
* Shredded carrot
* Red onion
* A little bit of organic ranch dressing

nylisa
10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Hmm, either a salad or the leftover chicken fajita wrap I had for lunch. It was a grilled chicken with onions, peppers, lemon & salsa. In the past I would've eaten the whole thing (huge portion). I started feeling somewhat full, had some watermelon for dessert & saved the other half for either dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow or Friday.

Lovely
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh great. You guys are making my mouth water, and I'm stuck here at work "looking forward" to cold cuts on stale bread. :P

MarinePrincess
10-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I bought a whole chicken and its now defrosted, so I'm going to put it in the slow cooker for dinner tonight. Not sure what we're having with it, maybe steamed broccoli? We're trying to only have carbs with one meal a day, so maybe I'll save my carbs and have a potato. *shrugs*

MugCanDoIt
10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Tonight I am having:

Penne with fried Tofu and Roasted Peppers. New recipe, so I hope it is edible. I guess the rest of the family will have pork chops, mac & cheese and something else.

xJox
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
We will probably have subway tonight.

phantastica
10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Tonight I am having:

Penne with fried Tofu and Roasted Peppers. New recipe, so I hope it is edible. I guess the rest of the family will have pork chops, mac & cheese and something else.

Oh yum, I could make that tonight. Care to share a recipe?

Trazey34
10-04-2007, 09:58 AM
tonight is boring chicken breasts (good thing everyone loves chicken here! ) but i do smoosh them in a horseradish grainy mustard before cooking - sounds revolting but it's so good LOL.... 1/2 a baked potato with salsa on it soooooooo yummmy... and some green/yellow beans.

Dessert is a Karaboo Cafe Mocha bar -- anyone ever had these?? OMG they're amazing, better than any chocolate bar!! taste very coffee-mocha-y and have 140 cals AND whole grains to make you feel a bit better for making the calorie allotment for something a bit sugary :D

hellokitty81668
10-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Tonight the family will have chicken ( I bake it with spices on it, olive oil, garlic, papirika for coloring., and I will make bakes sweet potatoes( which I will eat), and some roasted summer squash , and some black beans( central american style).. I have to go shopping tomorrow so the fridge is pretty much empty, plus hubby went away this morning and won't be home until tomorrow night, so food is less, and less complicated.
cheryl

katmeow
10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Turkey spaghetti.... cooked in the crock pot all day the kids don't know the difference. And garlic bread /salad.

I see alot of you are making different meals for you DH and kids. I don't have the willpower not to pick at what I make for them. It adds up quickly. I find it is easier for me to make meals they will eat too. What is your secret to the iron willpower?

royalsfan1
10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Salsa chicken (thanks 101 ways to cook chicken thread!), steamed broccoli, and roasted sweet potatoes. The kids will eat corn tortillas with their chicken...but DH and I are skipping them. :)

MugCanDoIt
10-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Last nights fried tofu was not good. But I thought this was funny. My husband ate some of it and said it was ok. I totally expected him to gag and carry on about it. Hee Hee!

I am going to try to blend some tofu with other ingredients to make a sort of dip. Maybe I can take tofu that way, obviously cant take it like last night, gross!

Tonight will be:

Stir Fry with :
bok choy, mushrooms, brocolli, snow peas, bamboo, water chestnuts over white rice seasoned with chicken boullion. Yum!

phantastica
10-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Mug, I don't know how to successfully fry or roast tofu, either. I like it when I eat it in a restaurant, but I have yet to be able to recreate anything similar at home.

My mom makes tofu blended up in stuff all the time: dips, "cheesecake", etc. and it turns out well.

Oh, last night's dinner was baked tilapia and a cabbage/carrot salad. Not sure what's for dinner tonight, whatever doesn't require much work.

royalsfan1
10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Tonight is spaghetti squash, red sauce with shrimp instead of meatballs or sausage, and salad. YUM!

gina1221
10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Tonight for us is broiled mahi mahi with Mrs. Dash seasoning and maple mustard wilted spinach. Should be relatively quick and easy which is a cooking requirement for me.

nicolen
10-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Tonight I'm breaking out the barbecue for the first time this spring.

I've got chicken breast marinating in lemon juice, a bit of olive oil and some rosemary and will have that with barbecued vegies - eggplant, zucchini, peppers, mushrooms and maybe tomatoes if I can get some decent tomatoes.

tamaralynn
10-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I have one cheat night a week (if I don't I'm afraid I'll go psycho).

Friday is CHEAT NIGHT!!

We're going for Miso soup and SUSHI! YUM!!!!

Trazey34
10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
fun friday night, I'm having a "crazy plates" pizza - it's a little high, about 400 cals for 1/2 a pizza, but it's pretty big and filling and most important, absolutely delicious! so i'll have that and my 1 diet coke I have week and it feels like friggin' Mardi Gras!

tamaralynn
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Change of plans, we're getting a sub from subway and going to Bingo :D

Hmmm half a pizza for only 400 cals?? oMG! are you making it or buying? If making, can I have the recipe???

Trazey34
10-05-2007, 08:00 PM
it's a brand, tamralynn, called "crazy plates" and get this!!! it has pepperoni & italian sausage on it!!! and tons of onions and red peppers - it's sooooooooo good i like it better than any other "ordinary" pizza...mmmmm spicy!

Glory87
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I am making a chicken and broccoli frittata with red onions and low fat cheese. Also going to have a small green salad!

Shy Moment
10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Tonight is suppose to be chicken night but the kids wanted fish fillets. So dinner was 2 fillets each, rice and mushrooms and green beans

rockinrobin
10-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I just had a yummy dinner.

Sauteed chicken breast with spinach, onions, mushrooms in a garlic/wine/lemon sauce. Soooo good. I served it with thickly sliced broiled zucchini seasoned with garlic and onion powder and a little sea salt. Hubby was swooning.

Cassie501107
10-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I was lazy, I confess....I had a Lean Cuisine. It was tasty though.:p

hellokitty81668
10-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Tonight I made my own version of vegetarian pasta e fagioli( pasta and beans). It is just lots of veggies, vegetarian soup base, white cannelini( spelling?) beans , and pasta..
Here is how I made it...
I sweated some chopped onion ( 3/4 of a medium onion) , 1/4 cup of pepper, 3 carrots chopped , 3 celery stalks chopped, after a while when the water was almost gone I added 1 tsp of olive oil and continued to cook it for 3-5 minutes more, added 2 chopped garlic cloves ,and cooked for 1 more minute. then I added a box of veg. broth, a can of organic diced tomatoes, 2 cans of cannelini beans, and some chopped spinach, and let cook, while this is cooking I added salt, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, after 15 minutes or so, I added 6-8 oz of pasta, and let cook until done. It taste wonderful. I will be eating a small bowl for dinner, usually I add shredded cheese and eat with some type of bread.
cheryl

royalsfan1
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Taco salad made with lettuce, tomato, Smart Ground and low sodium taco seasoning, black beans, corn, cheese, and taco sauce. Kids love it and it fits into the plan!

SuchAPrettyFace
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
whole wheat pasta with a salt-free sauce that I made with tuna and artichokes :T

SuchAPrettyFace
10-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Tonight I made my own version of vegetarian pasta e fagioli( pasta and beans). It is just lots of veggies, vegetarian soup base, white cannelini( spelling?) beans , and pasta..
Here is how I made it...
I sweated some chopped onion ( 3/4 of a medium onion) , 1/4 cup of pepper, 3 carrots chopped , 3 celery stalks chopped, after a while when the water was almost gone I added 1 tsp of olive oil and continued to cook it for 3-5 minutes more, added 2 chopped garlic cloves ,and cooked for 1 more minute. then I added a box of veg. broth, a can of organic diced tomatoes, 2 cans of cannelini beans, and some chopped spinach, and let cook, while this is cooking I added salt, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, after 15 minutes or so, I added 6-8 oz of pasta, and let cook until done. It taste wonderful. I will be eating a small bowl for dinner, usually I add shredded cheese and eat with some type of bread.
cheryl
Pasta e fagioli is always vegetarian. It's peasant food, and used to be served the day before payday. You knew when it was served that's all you were getting.

Here is my recipe:

1 can diced no salt added tomatoes
1 can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 pound ditalini pasta, cooked
2 crushed garlic cloves
1-2 tsp olive oil

Heat oil in saucepan, crush garlic cloves & peel off paper. saute garlic cloves until they are lightly browned & fish out. Add beans & tomatoes, cook for 5 min. Add hot pasta, cook for another 5 minutes. Done.

I gotta say though I LOVE your idea about the spinach & especially the red pepper flakes. YUM.

Trazey34
10-11-2007, 12:17 AM
omg i had the most gorgeous salad for dinner, i know i know, we eat a million salads the thrill is gone LOL but this had such crisp spring mix, luscious and vibrant colours of veggies and a plump juicy chicken breast cut up on top, and a nice multi-grain roll it was absolutely gorgeous! i wanted to cry for the poor dumb girl who was satisfied with eating a crappy cheeseburger from mcdonalds :(

katmeow
10-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Crockpot Ham and Potatoes

2 cups diced extra-lean ham
4 cups diced raw potatoes
1 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat extra sharp cheddar cheese
1-10 3/4oz can of Healthy Request Cream of Celery Soup
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1 tsp yellow mustard

Spray crockpot with butter flavored cooking spray. Combine ham, potatoes and onions and spoon into pot. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top. In a small bowl, combine soup, pepper, parsley and mustard. Add soup mixture to potato mixture. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8hrs. Mix well before serving.

Makes 6 1-cup servings.

hellokitty81668
10-11-2007, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=SuchAPrettyFace;1888679]Pasta e fagioli is always vegetarian. It's peasant food, and used to be served the day before payday. You knew when it was served that's all you were getting.

Such a pretty face, Pasta e fagioli is traditionally made with a beef/ sometimes chicken stock , now some people add beef or pork to it, so be careful when you order it out that if you are a vegetarian , it doesn't contain animal stock. cheryl

katmeow
10-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Tonight is my son's birthday. He has chosen pizza for his birthday dinner and we are going to this pizzaria that has the most amazing 1) pizza and 2) garlic yeast rolls dripping in olive oil and garlic. This will NOT be a good day for my diet. More like diet day from ****. So for breakfast I had oatmeal with a tad of fat free evaporated milk. I am having only veggies for a snack. Lunch is the WW taco soup that I had stashed in the freezer for days like this.

Dinner? I will eat a HUGE salad before we go and pray I can maintain reasonable portion control.

SoulBliss
10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Pasta e fagioli is traditionally made with a beef/ sometimes chicken stock , now some people add beef or pork to it, so be careful when you order it out that if you are a vegetarian , it doesn't contain animal stock. cheryl

Yes, Pasta e fagioli has been offered to me at many Italian eateries and it had animal broths in it :( That's NOT vegetarian! :mad:

phantastica
10-11-2007, 12:43 PM
katmeow, that sounds awesome! I have all those ingredients at home and I'm going to try it.

SuchAPrettyFace
10-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Such a pretty face, Pasta e fagioli is traditionally made with a beef/ sometimes chicken stock , now some people add beef or pork to it, so be careful when you order it out that if you are a vegetarian , it doesn't contain animal stock. cherylOooooh, that is scary!!! :eek: We never made it with meat broth in our family, just the juice from the tomatoes. I will have to keep that in mind for restaurants.

katmeow
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
phantastica.... it IS awesome. Even my picky eater boys gobble it up! We have it at least once a month.

MugCanDoIt
10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Tonight will be for me:

Pasta with roasted red peppers and a smidge of grated parmesean cheese.

Maybe a few roasted potatoes simply cause I can't make them and not eat at least a tiny portion, they are so yummy!

Tonight for the boys will be:

pinto beans, cornbread, roasted potatoes instead of fried. They think they are so mistreated when this meal doesnt involve meat. But as a kid we never had meat with the beans and cornbread meal, cause you just dont need it!

MugCanDoIt
10-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh....and my after supper snack will be: two sorbet pops, like 45 calories each and no fat. Scrumptius---but I could eat like 6 in a row:o

tamaralynn
10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Basa (fish) aparagus and salad.

Mrs Quadcrew
10-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Roasted vegetable soup. (my own concoction) I roast HUGE pans of fresh vegies (carrots, onion, garlic, kale, squash (winter and summer), beets, parsnips, turnips, broccoli, cauliflower - whatever you like!) then I throw it in the cuisinart with some chicken broth and pulse till smooth. YUMMMM!

hellokitty81668
10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
I am making the family a central american style Beef soup...
I will be cooking Salmon in the oven, with some type of veggie.
cheryl

Shy Moment
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I love this thread. About this time of morning I have make sure the downstairs is cleaned. Breakfast dishes are done and I now can sit at the computer and have my bottle of tea ( doing really well the tea is now only 1/2 the carbs because i mix half a bottle with tea I make myself ). I start to think about dinner.

Today is Friday that means it is chicken day. Going to read thru the posts and see what dinner is going to be since I really have nothing in my head I want to make.

Think it is going to be nice big salad with chicken breasts cut up and put in the salad. Everyone loves it and it is easy. Daughter will probably have left over rice and green beans with her chicken since she can't have the lettuce.

tamaralynn
10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Miso soup, salad and sushi :)

Todd and I used to eat out once a week - but we would go to places like Chili's, or Applebees, or Steakhouses etc.

Now if we eat out, it's to our favorite sushi house. The don't deep fry anything, and everything is very fresh. They're always happy to see us each week.

MugCanDoIt
10-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Tonight for will be:

RockinRobins Roasted Green Beans with fresh Garlic & Salt
roasted potatoes with garlic, salt, pepper, & dill weed

After dinner snack:

celery sticks with fat free Ranch dip
one or two sorbet pops, 45 cals and fat free!

Then stay the heck out of the kitch no matter what! this weekend is going to be a good one, I am determined!

MugCanDoIt
10-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Tonight for will be:

RockinRobins Roasted Green Beans with fresh Garlic & Salt
roasted potatoes with garlic, salt, pepper, & dill weed

After dinner snack:

celery sticks with fat free Ranch dip
one or two sorbet pops, 45 cals and fat free!

Then stay the heck out of the kitch no matter what! this weekend is going to be a good one, I am determined!

katmeow
10-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Tonight is veggie tex mex lasagne. The kids have sleepovers so I am taking advantage of being able to do the veggie thing. My hubbie and I love it!

phantastica
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
I made a stir fry out of chicken-breast pieces, swiss chard ribs, celery, a cherry-bomb pepper, green onions, mushrooms, and zucchini ... in a sauce made from garlic-ginger paste and Szechuan stir-fry sauce. Yummo, and it was really pretty! I took out some frozen rice and nuked an individual serving, and I have enough leftovers for two more meals.

Trazey34
10-17-2007, 09:18 PM
tonight we had "PVC" heheh DH likes the name, like the pipe! LOL It's some whole wheat rotini, cubed chicken, cukes, cherry tomatoes, red & orange pepper thinly sliced, lots of red onion, some feta, all tossed in a yummy low fat balsamic/olive oil dressing...served nice and cold with a crusty w.w. roll so colourful, i love it!

royalsfan1
10-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I had leftover chili made with Smart Ground. It was delicious. I also had a nice big salad. Everyone else ate at church, tonight. :)

Pita09
10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I had school tonight so before class I had cottage cheese with pineapple and then after class I had a strawberry yogurt. It was a dairy night. :D

rubberlegs
10-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Spanish Bulgur made with tofu - Normally don't like Spanish rice but this was good. :)
Salad

royalsfan1
10-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Tonight is barbeque chicken pita pizzas - courtesy of Mandalinn82!

MugCanDoIt
10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
last night was lemon pepper talapia with rice. Yummy. Tonight I dont know yet. Must brainstorm.

nelie
10-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Tonights dinner for me is Pumpkin Chili... It is really good :)

1 can each of - Pumpkin puree, kidney beans, white kidney beans and black beans (rinse the beans in water)
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
1/3 cup of TVP
2 TBSP of chili powder
a bit of cayenne
some water (or veggie broth) to make it into a chili like consistency

Cook on low/medium for half an hour and there you go :)

Besides pumpkin chili, I will also have a salad to go with it and possibly a piece of fruit.

Schmoodle
10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
That pumpkin chili sounds interesting!
tonight is pork loin chops with sauerkraut and a salad.

rockinrobin
10-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Nelie, that sounds great. How many servings do you get from it? Only problem is, I can see me overeating it. One more question - what's TVP?

nelie
10-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Robin,

TVP is textured vegetable protein, basically soy granules.

How I plan to eat it though I don't expect to overeat. I will be making a huge salad (lots of fresh veggies) and top it with the Chili. You could do the same with cooked veggies, such as mashed cauliflower. Just top it on something else instead of making it a main dish.

For DH, he will get rice and chili and a side salad.

Edited to add -

I'm excited, I just added how many calories are in my entire recipe and it is about 1500 total and it is a lot of food. I would say nearly 10 servings so I wouldn't worry about overeating it. It is full of fiber and low in calories :)

synger
10-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Nelie, that sounds great. How many servings do you get from it? Only problem is, I can see me overeating it. One more question - what's TVP?

TVP is Texturized Vegetable Protein (http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=396). Basically soy crumbles. It's a great ground beef replacement, or extender. You reconstitute it in water, then add it to casseroles or sauces. Has the texture of browned ground beef. My husband has never noticed when I've used half-meat and half-tvp in most recipes.

royalsfan1
10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Is Smart Ground TVP?

nelie
10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
No, that is something else. TVP's only ingredient is soy. You can flavor it by soaking it in stews or hot water with spices.

Here is a link to the brand I have, although I think Whole Foods sells it in their bulk section as well

http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.php?action=showdetails&product_ID=396

Torister
10-18-2007, 12:15 PM
I am having chicken in mushroom gravy (its in the crockpot as I type!) along with some roasted veggies and brown rice.

eta: Here is the recipe if anyone is interested...

Chicken in Mushroom Gravy

6 Whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
21 1/2 ounces 98% fat-free Condensed cream of Mushroom Soup
To taste Salt And Pepper
8 Oz Mushrooms, canned -- Sliced & Drained
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine

Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix the wine and the soup. Pour over the chicken. Add the mushrooms.
Cover. Cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.

(3.5 PTS)

rockinrobin
10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks ladies for clearing things up. I use the Morning Star Farms Soy Crumbles. They're quite good.

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I am having chicken in mushroom gravy (its in the crockpot as I type!) along with some roasted veggies and brown rice.

eta: Here is the recipe if anyone is interested...

Chicken in Mushroom Gravy

6 Whole boneless skinless chicken breasts
21 1/2 ounces 98% fat-free Condensed cream of Mushroom Soup
To taste Salt And Pepper
8 Oz Mushrooms, canned -- Sliced & Drained
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine

Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix the wine and the soup. Pour over the chicken. Add the mushrooms.
Cover. Cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.

(3.5 PTS)

That sounds good! I am sending you a PM with a link to a web site I use a lot of the WW recipes off of. I have not yet made one thing from her recipe collection that we didn't like.

Shy Moment
10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Sausage, gravy and brisket's. I serving portion of course, ( calories 370, fat 21, carbs 37 ) not so bad. That is most of my fat for the day. Along with a nice veggie. Fruit for desert.

synger
10-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm roasting a chicken in the rotisserie. Trying to think of something my daughter will eat to add to it (only chicken she eats is McNuggets). I'll make broccoli, probably with a little butter or cheese. I have some asian slaw, or some spicy tomato/spinach I need to eat up, too. Plus maybe sweet corn cake, like from Chi-chi's. That last, at least, she will eat.

wifey bullseye
10-18-2007, 02:18 PM
my dh is preparing roasted butternut squash stew. I cant wait to get home to try it! (and yes, we're pretending its a proper autumn here in daytona beach;))

SoulBliss
10-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Steamed kale and broccoli with chickpeas, caramelized onions and shallots

Corn pasta (pasta made from corn) with a raw, fresh tomato-garlic-basil-arugula sauce and chopped walnuts

Beet, onion, orange and carrot salad with a gingered tofu creme sauce

phantastica
10-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Corn pasta (pasta made from corn) with a raw, fresh tomato-garlic-basil-arugula sauce and chopped walnuts

Yum, I've never heard of pasta made from corn. How is the carb/fiber count?

nelie
10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
I've never seen pasta made from corn either but last time I had polenta, it was delicious... So I imagine that is too.

Also, I like the sound of your beet salad. I make a beet salad which is just shredded carrots, shredded beats, shredded apples, shredded ginger, a little red wine vinegar, a little lemon juice, some coarse salt and coarse pepper. It is delicious.

RitzyFritz
10-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I've never seen pasta made from corn either but last time I had polenta, it was delicious... So I imagine that is too.

Also, I like the sound of your beet salad. I make a beet salad which is just shredded carrots, shredded beats, shredded apples, shredded ginger, a little red wine vinegar, a little lemon juice, some coarse salt and coarse pepper. It is delicious.

Nelie, your beet salad sounds great! Can you give specific measurements? I would like to try this.

Thanks!
Rita

synger
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I saw a beet salad (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_21576,00.html) on Good Eats the other day that REALLY looked good. I'm thinking of trying it, except that I'm the only one who will eat it. So I have to make it at the beginning of hte week, and hope I like it enough to eat it for a couple of days.

nelie
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Ritzy,
I may need to dig up the original recipe that I used to make mine but I don't really deal with exact measurements but I can give you a general idea.

2 raw beets, peeled and shredded
2 medium sized carrots, shredded
2 medium sized apples, shredded
1 tsp of lemon juice
1/2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
some fresh shredded ginger (possible 2 tsps worth but not a lot) or 1 tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp of coarse salt (I love this addition to this salad but I try to limit salt, add more if needed)
1 tsp of coarse black pepper (again, add more if needed)

So that is my best estimate of the recipe. One bit of warning, shredding beets is not a pretty sight if you have to do it by hand, I do all of the above in a food processor.

Cassie501107
10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Spaghetti...wish me luck, it's one of my favorites, lol.:^:

MugCanDoIt
10-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I am unplanned tonight.....going home to stare into the fridge and hope something comes to me. Hope it doesnt backfire from being unprepared! Naughty, naughty Mug!

Sheila53
10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Spicy Shrimp Fettucine. Never made it before--sounds good, though.

synger
10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, the rotisserie chicken was a bust. I don't get home until 5:30, and my husband wasn't feeling well... so he hadn't made dinner (which he does try to do). He had gotten the rotisserie down, then realized he didn't know how to truss the bird or prepare it. Plus, the kitchen still had last night's dishes waiting to be washed (my fault -- I was lazy last night). It's a small two-counter kitchen (each about four feet wide), so when it's not clean to begin with, it's impossible to cook in it. Then, to top it off, when he reached up to the overhead lamp to turn it on, the globe shattered into millions of tiny shards all over the floor. He swept, and I mopped, and I STILL found tiny milk-white shards later in the evening.

So rotisserie chicken was Right Out. I went to a backup plan, which is stirfry. Got the basmati rice started, 'cause it takes the longest, and started looking through the veggie bin. I'd gone grocery shopping the other day, so we had broccoli and carrots, and I had made a napa cabbage slaw yesterday, so we still had some napa cabbage. Handful of onions, mushrooms, bit of garlic in the stir-fry pan with a few shakes of red pepper flakes. Once they softened, I added the cabbage and broccoli, then covered and let steam for a few minutes while I pulled out the shrimp from the freezer and ran them under water in the colander to thaw Threw them in, added stirfry sauce and a shot of fish sauce, and served it up.

Very tasty, and very healthy.

I'm VERY glad I keep certain staples on hand. I love having a backup plan.

MugCanDoIt
10-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Tonight will possibly be Roasted Yellow Pepper Pasta with garlic, fresh basil, and a dash of low fat parmesean cheese on top. Family will probaly beg me to go out to eat, but I must resist!! I want to see that darn scale cooperate with me before I kill it.

Trazey34
10-19-2007, 01:37 PM
tonight is whole wheat rotini with some amazing homemade (not by me hahah) tomato sauce, and a few low-fat italian meatballs, a big yummy salad and some SF jello for a jiggly dessert :D

nelie
10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Tonight is leftovers of the pumpkin chili as well as some delicata squash and a big salad. I roasted the squash yesterday and it was soooo good :)

Prissiroo
10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok - don't anyone fall over - but tonight is pizza night.*ducks* Since I do WW, I have these flex points that I don't use. It's been suggested to me to use those to see if it helps the weight loss along. Sooo - I have 18 points left for the day and will use about 15 of the flex and enjoy some pizza and breadsticks with hubby - maybe some wine.

THEN - tomorrow will be lots of water and veggies and right back to the healthy stuff.

royalsfan1
10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Tonight is dinner on the road. I have no idea what it will end up being but I've gotten pretty good at finding healthy (or healthier) choices no matter where I am. And if there isn't much available that's healthy, I'll eat a VERY tiny portion of something and then find some fruit somewhere. Has anyone else noticed (and loved) the fact that most gas stations now at least have apples and bananas on their counters????

phantastica
10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, that is nice, royalsfan, to see actual FOOD in these stores. I sometimes opt for individual packs of string cheese, or hard-boiled eggs when I'm on the road.

Oh - what's for dinner tonight: I'm going to a wedding and it's chicken. Last night, I had homemade sushi!

Torister
10-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I made Nelie's Pumpkin Chili tonight and had it with salad. I thought it was really good. I used the Morning Star Meal Starter in it. Hubby said "Whats that?" ummmm....meat...yeah...meat. ;) He liked it, so the less he knows the better. LOL!

I am going to try that beet salad this weekend....we have beets coming out of the garden right now.

nelie
10-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Peggy,

I'm glad you liked it :) I still have plenty of leftovers so we'll be eating it for a few days.

xtrisaratops
10-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Tonight I had a big salad with some marinaded boneless skinless chicken breast on top.

After dinner, I made some 0 point WW veggie soup, even though I don't do WW. My mom does, and I really enjoy the soup, so we usually just make a huge pot and split it out into individual bowls.

So that's what will be for tomorrow, most likely. Might eat some with a sammich for lunch.

royalsfan1
10-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Tonight is our annual family bonfire and wienie roast at my parent's house. My family and my 4 siblings with their families and my parents do this once a year. It's great fun to get us all together...since we're spread all over the midwest (Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Tennessee). So, dinner is a hotdog, some pickle spears, a serving of pretzels or baked lays, and a s'more. I'll probably also work some hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps into my calories, too. :)

phantastica
10-20-2007, 04:08 PM
royalsfan, your bonfire (and the cocoa with butterscotch schnapps) sounds like fun!

Today I have a spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker - quorn, various forms of canned tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, spices.

MugCanDoIt
10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Tonight for me will be Roasted Pepper Pasta:

Will roast a yellow and a red bell pepper. With fresh basil, fresh garlic, cooked Penne Pasta, corn starch for thickening, and salt, pepper, garlic powder, and maybe part of a chicken boulion cube. Dont forget the dash of low fat parm cheese to top it off! Yummy!

I will be George Forman Grilling chicken for the family, along with mac and cheese and biscuits. I cant get them to eat vegetables, so a lot of the time they have more than one starch for dinner, but what can you do when they refuse to eat healthy? I try.........

Torister
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
I have pulled pork cooking in my crockpot even as I type. We will be having white sweet potatoes (they looked interesting to me at the store) and steamed broccoli. Hubby will have his meat on a whole grain roll. I am passing on the roll. It is really good.

hellokitty81668
10-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I made refried black beans..... I use canned black beans, 1 tsp of olive oil, onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, cilantro, when this is cooked to where the water has evaporated , it is done. I take about 3/4 of a cup or less, and eat it with 2 corn tortillas, shredded lettuce, some fresh tomatoes, and ff sour cream.
Tomorrow is a native american influenced stew.. it is going to be cooler tomorrow.
cheryl

phantastica
10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
White chicken chili! Yummy.

mandalinn82
10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Homemade beef and barley soup with zucchini, carrot, celery, and wilted spinach.

hellokitty81668
10-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I am making something called 3 sister's stew.. I have never tried it before, but I figured with the cool weather it would be great.
3 Sister's stew:
Three Sisters Stew
Vegetarian Times Issue: September 1, 2004 p.59 — Member Rating:

The three sisters—corn, squash and beans—merge into a delicious stew. The stew should be thick, but you may need to thin it slightly with vegetable stock or water. Recipe courtesy of Michelle Emond, a PhD student at Stanford University.

Ingredient List
Serves 6

1 Tbs. olive oil or canola oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced
1 lb. medium-sized yellow summer squash, 3/4-inch-thick slices
2 medium-sized zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 lb. green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup corn kernels, preferably fresh
2 16-oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions
Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and jalapeño, and sauté until the onion is tender and translucent, for about 5 minutes.
Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the thyme, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, and cook, covered, over low heat for 15 to 25 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
Add the thyme leaves during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add the salt and pepper to taste, stirring them in well, and serve the stew warm.

Nutritional Information
Per SERVING: Calories: 330, Protein: 17g, Total fat: 4g, Carbs: 65g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 140mg, Fiber: 20g, Sugars: 11g

hellokitty81668
10-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I found a great recipe for a special vegetarian dinner, I probably will make it for turkey day.
Vegetable-and- Cheese Strata - Thanksgiving
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups diced zucchini
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3/4 cup canned artichoke hearts, chopped drained
8 cups Italian bread,cubed (1-inch) (about 8 ounces)
Cooking spray
1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar
cheese, shredded
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups egg substitute
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
Oregano sprigs (optional)

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and
garlic, and sauté vegetable mixture 6 minutes or until
tender. Remove from heat. Stir in artichokes, and set
aside.

Arrange Italian bread cubes in a 13 x 9-inch baking
dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon zucchini mixture
evenly over bread cubes, and sprinkle mixture with
cheeses.

Combine egg substitute and remaining ingredients
(except oregano sprigs) in a large bowl; stir with a
whisk. Pour egg mixture over zucchini mixture. Cover
mixture with foil; chill up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 325°. Bake strata, covered, 1 hour or
until bubbly. Garnish with oregano sprigs, if desired.

Yield: 8 servings

CALORIES 229 (19% from fat); FAT 4.9g (sat 2.3g,mono
1.5g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 17.5g; CHOLESTEROL 14mg;
CALCIUM 336mg; SODIUM 570mg; FIBER 1.9g; IRON 2.7mg;
CARBOHYDRATE 29.1g

Source: Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 1996
Formatted by chupa Babi: 11.24.01

AuthorNote: Buy canned, quartered artichoke hearts
because they're less expensive than whole artichoke
hearts. Buy presliced mushrooms.

ChupaNote: this has an elegant presentation. Add 1
teaspoon red pepper flakes to hot oil before adding
veggies. Added 1/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
and 2 T. capers when adding artichokes. Replaced
cheddar with crumbled drained feta. Used zaatar
instead of Italian seasoning.

Either way, its a good company recipe.

MugCanDoIt
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Tonight:

George Foreman Grilled Chicken with Lemon Pepper
green beans with red potatoes
two canned biscuits=100 cals

Family will have the same. Wow, a meal I came up with that we all can/will eat. Imagine that....

mandalinn82
10-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Yay for meals the whole family can eat!

Frittata with goat cheese, chicken sausage, broccoli, bell pepper, spinach, and zucchini, served with a side salad.

royalsfan1
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Crockpot Enchilada Casserole, steamed broccoli, and salad.

MugCanDoIt
10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Tonight will be: Turkey Meatloaf, boiled potatoes with fat free butter, and lima beans.

Cassie501107
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Vegetable stir-fry tonight! I may add some chicken or lean beef...not sure yet.:)

royalsfan1
10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Black Bean and Corn soup with a salad.

Schmoodle
10-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Mmmm, looking forward to Taco Bake for me and Tacos for the kids.

MugCanDoIt
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Todays breakfast was kind of unusual but good.

Two fat free refried bean/onion and cheese burritos. Protein!!