Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Volumetrics - October '07

Welcome . . . . . . Thought we should have a new start for a new month . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. A recent article in Newsweek has been bringing a little more attention. If you haven't yet seen the article, here is a link . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17537369/ . . . I first discovered Volumetrics about a year ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...s_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Good morning everybody!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #3  

Height: 5ft 5.5in

Good morning ! Decided to change my avitar to my 2 cats. I may be adding a dog to the mix again. I've been dogless for 2 years and I kind of miss having a barker around.

Had a decent weekend, a bit of rain so pulling weeds should be easier today. I'm heading out to start work on the front flower beds, clean them up a bit. I hate yard work, but must be done!

I'll check in later.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

Aww . . . Love to see all the feline cuties . . . wish I could get all of mine into one picture . . . don't imagine it will ever happen, though. BTW, dog avatars are good too.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi everyone,
I'm just checking in to say hi. It was a busy day at school. Right now I'm lucky to have some home grown tomatoes to cook with. Yum, I just love tomatoes

Last edited by teacher1; 10-01-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #6  

We had lots of tomatoes this year and they are wonderful. When our were gone, we got more from BIL.

Is that a miniature schnauzer I see in the pic?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #7  

Gail-
Yes, it's a picture of Lily, my family's miniature schnauzer
Old 10-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #8  

I used to house-sit for a woman with a miniature schnauzer. I had to stay at the house and let the dog sleep with me. The only problem was that the dog was a bit irritable and didn't like it when I moved in my sleep. Yikes! They are cute, smart little dogs.

I did really well with my eating today. Lots and lots of fruit/veggies/lettuce. Oatmeal with raisin toast for breakfast. Huge salad with apple, cucumber, chopped chicken breast, lettuce, onion and creamy curry dressing (kefir and low fat sour cream with curry powder), grapes and cherry tomatoes for a snack (not together). Turkey burger for dinner.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #9  
Onward and Downward

Morning . . .

We have sunshine . . . but it is pretty cool out there. Sad that all the local produce will soon be gone from around here. Nothing is quite as good when it has to sit on a truck for days to reach us. I so the local tomatoes. The things we get in the winter have no business being called tomatoes - although the hydroponically grown ones aren't too bad.

Oh well, enough of my whining over fruit. Time to get things moving and shaking. See you later . . .
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #10  

Good morning! I'm stiff from working out in the yard yesterday, got to do more today. I'll wait until later in the week to work on the fence, maybe put it off until next week. I wasn't all that great with my eating yesterday. A friend of mine called me and said to clean up and meet her for dinner - at a pizza place. It's been at least 8 months since I've had a piece of pizza and I made up for it. Back on the wagon today!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #11  
Onward and Downward

Hi Bobbigene . . . this is the second thread today where somebody has been talking about pizza . . .
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #12  

A couple of times since I have been "weight managing", I have made my own pizza. I used one side of a pita bread for crust, and applied toppings and baked it in the toaster oven. The Volumetrics book says to increase veggies, and include broccoli. Well, I love broccoli, but I just can't bring myself to put it on pizza - sounds totally yucky to me. My pizza concoction was good enought to write down, so here is the recipe. Hope it is ok to post it here.

Pizza

Ingredients:

1/2 whole wheat pita bread 70 cal
1/2 Aidell's portobello mushroom smoked chicken and turkey sausage 70 cal
Amore tomato paste
2 tsp chopped red onion
1 small tomato, chopped
sprinkle of Italian seasoning
1 slice Provolone cheese - wafer thin (abt 15 grams) 30 cal
Sprinkle of Romano

Slice the pita bread in half horizontally, so you have one round piece

Smear a very thin coating of tomato paste on the pita bread.

Slice sausage into thin rounds and place on pita

Add chopped onions and tomato - I cored, seeded and dried the tomato off with a paper towel

Sprinkle with Italian seasoning

Cover with provolone slice.

Preheat toaster oven to 425°

Bake pizza for 6-8 minutes, until the edge of the pita starts to brown and the top has just a touch of brown here and there.

Grate enough Romano on the microplane grater to make about 1T. Grated this way, the cheese is very fluffy, so you are not getting a regular tablespoon amount. Sprinkle on the Romano, put back in oven for a few seconds to melt.

Cut into wedges and enjoy!

This was very tasty, even on stale pita bread because that is all I had. I dried the tomato because I thought the moisture from it might make the pita crust soggy.

The pizza looks like just around 200 calories. The problem I had was that I wanted more! Perhaps a large chopped veggie salad with blue cheese dressing and some fruit for dessert would have completed the meal. I just got it in my head to try making pizza and didn't think about the rest of the meal.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Yes . . . very okay to post recipes on here . . . sounds good, too . . . I just might have to try it. Actually, I don't even mind the idea of adding a little brocolli.

My SIL's husband (long story) makes a lot of great pizzas. He does one at Christmas that uses up turkey, carrots, and brussel sprouts and it isn't as bad as it sounds. However, there is nothing 'diet friendly' about his pizza.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #14  

Gail,
Sounds like my dog. She's a little diva.

Have a great night everyone.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #15  

I think I'll add pita bread and all that other stuff to my grocery shopping list. It sounds better than the frozen "light" ones. Thanks for sharing!

Yesterday was more working outside. I trimmed the rest of the hedges and pulled more weeds. The garbage men are going to hate me this week - 4 big lawn & leaf bags, two case of copy paper size boxes, a bucket that held 35 pounds of kitty litter a tall kitchen bag and a largish branch off a tree are all going to be put out for them to pick up on Thursday. I'm working inside today where it's cool!
Closed Thread