LA Weight Loss - Volumetrics - October '07

View Full Version : Volumetrics - October '07

meowee
10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Welcome . . . :welcome2: . . . Thought we should have a new start for a new month . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . .

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. A recent article in Newsweek has been bringing a little more attention. If you haven't yet seen the article, here is a link . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17537369/ . . . I first discovered Volumetrics about a year ago thanks to this review on 3FC . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...s_Eating_Plan/ . . . After reading this review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . . and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Good morning everybody!

bobbigene
10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Good morning ! Decided to change my avitar to my 2 cats. I may be adding a dog to the mix again. I've been dogless for 2 years and I kind of miss having a barker around.

Had a decent weekend, a bit of rain so pulling weeds should be easier today. I'm heading out to start work on the front flower beds, clean them up a bit. I hate yard work, but must be done!

I'll check in later.

meowee
10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Aww . . . Love to see all the feline cuties . . . wish I could get all of mine into one picture . . . don't imagine it will ever happen, though. BTW, dog avatars are good too. :yes:

teacher1
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm just checking in to say hi. It was a busy day at school. Right now I'm lucky to have some home grown tomatoes to cook with. Yum, I just love tomatoes :)

gailr42
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
We had lots of tomatoes this year and they are wonderful. When our were gone, we got more from BIL.

Is that a miniature schnauzer I see in the pic?

teacher1
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Gail-
Yes, it's a picture of Lily, my family's miniature schnauzer :)

gailr42
10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I used to house-sit for a woman with a miniature schnauzer. I had to stay at the house and let the dog sleep with me. The only problem was that the dog was a bit irritable and didn't like it when I moved in my sleep. Yikes! They are cute, smart little dogs.

I did really well with my eating today. Lots and lots of fruit/veggies/lettuce. Oatmeal with raisin toast for breakfast. Huge salad with apple, cucumber, chopped chicken breast, lettuce, onion and creamy curry dressing (kefir and low fat sour cream with curry powder), grapes and cherry tomatoes for a snack (not together). Turkey burger for dinner.

meowee
10-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Morning . . . :wave:

We have sunshine . . . but it is pretty cool out there. Sad that all the local produce will soon be gone from around here. Nothing is quite as good when it has to sit on a truck for days to reach us. I so :love: the local tomatoes. The things we get in the winter have no business being called tomatoes - although the hydroponically grown ones aren't too bad.

Oh well, enough of my whining over fruit. Time to get things moving and shaking. See you later . . . :carrot:

bobbigene
10-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Good morning! I'm stiff from working out in the yard yesterday, got to do more today. I'll wait until later in the week to work on the fence, maybe put it off until next week. I wasn't all that great with my eating yesterday. A friend of mine called me and said to clean up and meet her for dinner - at a pizza place. It's been at least 8 months since I've had a piece of pizza and I made up for it. Back on the wagon today!

meowee
10-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi Bobbigene . . . this is the second thread today where somebody has been talking about pizza . . . :drool:

gailr42
10-02-2007, 09:54 AM
A couple of times since I have been "weight managing", I have made my own pizza. I used one side of a pita bread for crust, and applied toppings and baked it in the toaster oven. The Volumetrics book says to increase veggies, and include broccoli. Well, I love broccoli, but I just can't bring myself to put it on pizza - sounds totally yucky to me. My pizza concoction was good enought to write down, so here is the recipe. Hope it is ok to post it here.

Pizza

Ingredients:

1/2 whole wheat pita bread 70 cal
1/2 Aidell's portobello mushroom smoked chicken and turkey sausage 70 cal
Amore tomato paste
2 tsp chopped red onion
1 small tomato, chopped
sprinkle of Italian seasoning
1 slice Provolone cheese - wafer thin (abt 15 grams) 30 cal
Sprinkle of Romano

Slice the pita bread in half horizontally, so you have one round piece

Smear a very thin coating of tomato paste on the pita bread.

Slice sausage into thin rounds and place on pita

Add chopped onions and tomato - I cored, seeded and dried the tomato off with a paper towel

Sprinkle with Italian seasoning

Cover with provolone slice.

Preheat toaster oven to 425

Bake pizza for 6-8 minutes, until the edge of the pita starts to brown and the top has just a touch of brown here and there.

Grate enough Romano on the microplane grater to make about 1T. Grated this way, the cheese is very fluffy, so you are not getting a regular tablespoon amount. Sprinkle on the Romano, put back in oven for a few seconds to melt.

Cut into wedges and enjoy!

This was very tasty, even on stale pita bread because that is all I had. I dried the tomato because I thought the moisture from it might make the pita crust soggy.

The pizza looks like just around 200 calories. The problem I had was that I wanted more! Perhaps a large chopped veggie salad with blue cheese dressing and some fruit for dessert would have completed the meal. I just got it in my head to try making pizza and didn't think about the rest of the meal.

meowee
10-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes . . . very okay to post recipes on here . . . sounds good, too . . . I just might have to try it. Actually, I don't even mind the idea of adding a little brocolli.

My SIL's husband (long story) makes a lot of great pizzas. He does one at Christmas that uses up turkey, carrots, and brussel sprouts and it isn't as bad as it sounds. However, there is nothing 'diet friendly' about his pizza.

teacher1
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Gail,
Sounds like my dog. She's a little diva.

Have a great night everyone.

bobbigene
10-03-2007, 07:59 AM
I think I'll add pita bread and all that other stuff to my grocery shopping list. It sounds better than the frozen "light" ones. Thanks for sharing!

Yesterday was more working outside. I trimmed the rest of the hedges and pulled more weeds. The garbage men are going to hate me this week - 4 big lawn & leaf bags, two case of copy paper size boxes, a bucket that held 35 pounds of kitty litter a tall kitchen bag and a largish branch off a tree are all going to be put out for them to pick up on Thursday. I'm working inside today where it's cool!

gailr42
10-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I haven't tried the frozen pizzas. Obviously, my recipe isn't written in stone - you can use what ever ingredients you like as long as you watch the ED. I also add green pepper if I have it. I keep the thin sliced cheese in the freezer so I won't be tempted to eat it all at once. Actually, I keep all that stuff in the freezer for the same reason.:lol: It is hard to binge on frozen food. Also hard on the teeth.

meowee
10-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi gang . . . boy is this day ever whipping along . . . some of them seem to do that.

Speaking of whipping right along . . . I ordered the new Tony Little SpiritMaster Gazelle on Sunday and it just arrived . . . now I think I need a nap before I tackle opening the big scarey looking box. :yikes:

Talk soon, everybody . . . have a great day . . . :wave:

gailr42
10-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Aha! I have seen Gazelle mentioned, but I didn't know what it was - so I googled. Looks cool! It also looks like it takes up a bit of floor space. I don't have much room for something like that in the house, and I am not sure if I would use it in the shop. I might feel banished or something. Of course, I would have Blackie, the shop cat, to cheer me on!

meowee
10-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Mine is still in the box . . . started by moving furniture around in the computer room so I could move the stability ball up here . . . I'm sitting on it right now. Seems a bit low (compared to the chair) Hope I get used to it. I can definitely feel my abdominals doing a little work as I type. But my back is bothering me a bit. Hopefully just from pushing around the furnture.

Tomorrow I'll tackle GODZELLA . . . will probably end up rearranging the whole room . . . oh well, it is exercise. :lol:

teacher1
10-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Linda,
What exercises are you doing with the ball? I have a ball and the core secret videos but rarely use them.

meowee
10-04-2007, 02:37 PM
TEACHER . . . Very little unfortunately . . . I do mostly seated bouncing kind of stuff . . . my favourite music to bounce to is . . . are you ready for this . . . Crazy Frog. :lol3: I'm terrified of some of the other stuff in my video because my balance is terrible (a lot to do with the diabetes, unfortunately.)

Today, 8 hours of cleaning and rearranging furniture to find a home for Godzella. At least it is out of the box, but still not together. At this rate it will take me longer to get it put together (so many pieces :yikes:) than it took the Shopping Channel to deliver it.

GAIL . . . I still can't figure out just hjow much room it will take. It's not the footprint so much (about 30 inches by 40 inches) it's the extra you need for the leg swing. If I ever get it together, guess I'll find out. All the manual says is "allow ample room". Helpful. :no:

Oh BTW, just discovered that during the pointless moving of furniture in the computer room yesterday (since I'm now sitting on the chair again), I managed to break a little piece off the paper feed tray of my printer and now it just keeps shutting itself down. :mad:

Have a fun rest of the day . . . see you tomorrow . . . :wave:

teacher1
10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone,
Today was a good day. I'm off to make a big salad for dinner. I think I'll hula hoop a little tonight while watching TV.

gailr42
10-04-2007, 11:54 PM
We are going to Chico tomorrow to visit DH's son, dil and 4dgks. I will pack us food for on the road and try to eat right for the next few days while we visit.

meowee
10-05-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm on the fly this morning . . . :wave: . . . Later, gang.

bobbigene
10-05-2007, 09:10 AM
So did you get the machine put together? I didn't know what it was so I googled it and it looks kind of complicated - unless chunks of it are already assembled and there are only a couple of things to put together.

The most complicated thing I ever had to assemble was my computer table. No written directions, only drawings and lots of the parts looked alike. :?: I finally got it put together and then found that it wouldn't fit thru the door to the computer room! So I had to take it partially apart, move it to the small back bedroom that is the computer room and put it back together. Ikea should have included a drawing that showed the totally assembled piece wouldn't fit thru a standard doorway!

Got bit by something when I was doing my yard work, but I don't know what. I think it might have been an asp caterpillar except that nothing hurt. I just have this nasty rash. It doesn't look like poison ivy and doesn't itch like poison ivy either. I always get strange injuries on my vacations! Guess diving at the Great Barrier Reef or an African Safari should not be on my list of things to do. I'd get eaten by a great white or a lion.:lol:

gailr42
10-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Bobbijean, I have "been there done that" so many times with that furniture that you put together yourself. I usually get one piece, somewhere in the middle of the whole thing, upsidedown or backwards. Then, of course it has to be redone. With some of that cheap stuff, you can only re-do so many times before the thing disintegrates.

Well, I think I have a very nice lunch put together for on the road today. I have grapes, apples, crab salad, and turkey meatloaf sandwich. DH has a bologna sandwich, summer sausage, kraft cheese slices.......honest, I am not trying to kill him. He is thin, gets lots of exercise and that's what he wants to eat. The trip takes about 10 hours, so we need more than one meal. Thats why so much food. Besides eating in the car is fun. :lol:

See you all in a few days - hopefully, no heavier than I am now!

teacher1
10-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Gail,
Have a great trip.

I went to the Zoo today for a field trip. I didn't eat very healthy but I burned the calories off by walking all over:)

meowee
10-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Good Morning . . . it's a beautiful day and the start of our long Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada so hopefully the good weather will continue and hopefully I will stay out of those "all the trimmings" that seem to go along with the turkey :lol:.

I'm exhausted and I ache everywhere after the great deal of furniture rearranging and new toy assembling that has been going on since Wednesday. Both GADZELLA (the Gazelle) and TRAMP (the Urban Rebounder) are in place and functional now . . . Yippee . . . and BUDDY (the Stability Ball) has turned into a fine new computer chair since I gave him a little more air. Think I'll be fine with the Rebounder (although I will have to fight the cats for it since they've decided it makes a fine new bed) but it may take me a bit of time to conquer the Gazelle . . . it's :eek:

Have a great moving and shaking day, gang . . . :carrot:

meowee
10-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi there Meowee . . . :wave: :lol3:

teacher1
10-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Morning everyone,
My boyfriend bought a house so we been busy all weekend with shopping. Now I'm working on getting stuff for the kitchen so I can make healthly volumetric meals.

gailr42
10-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Teacher, what fun!!! Congratulations.

I have a snack tip. My DH eats mini shredded wheat with milk and sugar. I don't like them very much, so when I was looking for something to snack on, I ate a few just dry. I figure that I won't be tempted to eat too many, and I think they are good for me.

meowee
10-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I actually like dry Shredded Wheat; even like dry Fibre 1 . . . :lol3:

gailr42
10-07-2007, 10:32 PM
There are lots of them I like - just not shredded weat. No salt, no sugar - sort of tastes like a styrofoam cup.

bobbigene
10-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Good Monday morning! I had a nice weekend staying with some friends, didn't over eat so I was happy when I came back home. I'll be heading out to the grocery store this morning and I have lots of Volumetric friendly things on my shopping list.

meowee
10-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave:

Looks like it's going to be one of those days . . . I spilled a 16 oz glass of water across my desk this morning. :yikes: Now my printer is going crazy again (it was closest). The rest of the system bits seem to be working just fine (obviously, since I'm here and typing :lol:). Can't even blame the cats; they were not in the room when I did it.

It's a little overcast right now but the sun has been breaking through a little. Hope it comes out to cheer the final day of our long Thanksgiving weekend.

Here's wishing all of you a wonderful, Volumetrics-friendly, day of doing all the good stuff. See you later.

teacher1
10-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Linda- Happy Thanksgiving!

It was a long Monday. Good night everyone.

bobbigene
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Good morning all. Just checking in before I start doing something constructive.

I bought lots of veggies and made that tourlou vegetable stew stuff that was discussed a while back. It's amazing how good that stuff is! Of course now I have a ton of it all in jars in the back of the refrigerator.

meowee
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi gang . . . :grouphug:

Printer seems to have recovered again . . . thankfully. Had a good Volumetrics eating day yesterday . . . also thankfully . . . and planning for another one today.

I'm running a bit late today since I did sleep in. Luckily there is nothing more exciting on my agenda than a little grocery shopping and some more time with Gadzella and Tramp. Buddy Ball is still doing nicely as my computer chair, BTW.

Have a great day everybody . . . see you soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
:lol: :lol: Glad your little friends are being good.

meowee
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Quick :wave: . . . computer is suffering from that "toilet-seat-disease" today.

bobbigene
10-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Good afternoon all. I'm taking a break from caulking and painting. I hate to paint but it has to be done. The workman replaced some of the facia board on the back of the house and took down the gutters so I have to take care of all the new wood. I must say tho, I lay down a nice bead of caulk.

Had to go to Walgreens early this morning and get some benadryl. My poison ivy keeps me up at night so guess I'll drug myself!

Well, back outside to do more of my work! Hope all is well with everyone!

teacher1
10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
I had a busy day. My class went to the fire station. Have a great night!

gailr42
10-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I made a vat of the "Light and Fresh Vegetable Soup" from the volumetrics book (p 219 in the paper back). It is good. I used more spinach than the recipe calls for and I didn't cook any of it except the asparagus stems as long as they said. I put it in 8oz freezer containers, so I will have it all ready to take to work.

meowee
10-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Okay gang . . . Good Morning . . . Sorry I was missing yesterday.

Bumped into a couple of old friends at the doctor's office (of all places) and they kidnapped me and tied me up and force fed me both lunch and dinner before releasing me again . . . I stopped counting when I got to 2500 calories. :o Definitely climbing back on the wagon today.

Hope everybody has a great day planned. See you all later . . . :wave:

meowee
10-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi there . . . :wave:

Think I'm back in the groove after the Thursday debacle. Hope everybody is having a great weekend. Keep things moving and shaking, gang . . . :carrot:

peas
10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Hello All,

New to the site and starting Volumetrics on Monday after spending time with the book today.

Some of you have been following it for a while and I was wondering if any of you had any advice fr a newbie?

Looking forward to reading all of your posts.

gailr42
10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I probably shouldn't be giving any advice because I just finished eating two slices of pizza and a piece ( a small one, but still...) of birthday cake. One of my grandsons is six!

The Volumetrics book suggests eating foods with a high water content and lots of fiber. Over the time I have been working on my lifestyle, I have made verious soups and chillis, frozen them in individual servings so when I am really starved, there is always somelthing healthy available. I think it is very important to experiment with recipes and food and find things that you really enjoy eating. You won't stick with your program if you don't like your food.

meowee
10-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi there PEAS . . . :wel3fc: and :welcome2: to the VOUMETRICS thread.

GAIL said it (no, not the pizza and cake part - but glad you had a fun birthday party for the grandson :lol:).

High water (soups and stews) and high fibre (veggies, veggies, veggies) in everything. Keep the fat low. Make sure you eat your fruits and vegetables rather than drinking them whenever possible.

Have a great evening, Chickie . . . you've definitely come to the right place. 3FC is a wonderful source of information and support as you travel the long and sometimes bumpy road to better health and fitness.

bobbigene
10-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Good Sunday morning. My vacation is over and it's back to the office tomorrow. Should be a really miserable week - catching up on emails, memos and the like. The REALLY fun part (NOT!) is that I have developed a case of hives. Haven't a clue what set it off, must have been all that work I was doing while on vacation. I have to dose myself with lots of benadryl at night so I can sleep and during the day I'm slathering on anti-itch cream. The only thing I can think that it could possibly be was a new soap that I was using so have tossed that out and will use only Ivory in the shower for a while. It's always something!

On the up side, I didn't gain any weight over my 2 weeks away from work. Didn't lose any either, but I'll take what I can get!

meowee
10-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Okay . . . now you've got me scratching, too . . . :lol3: . . . Hope you soon feel better. Congrats on the no-gain vacation, BTW. :high:

Anyway . . . Good Morning everybody . . . hope you all have a great moving and shaking kind of day. :carrot:

gailr42
10-14-2007, 10:57 PM
My DH gets hives so bad he has to get cortisone shots sometimes. His seem to be associated with something in the environment during the spring season. I can sure sympathise with you. I take benedryl sometimes and it does make me sleepy.

peas
10-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Happy Monday All!

Today is my early day at work and purely out of habit I walked out of the house without breakfast despite planning to take a yogurt with some bran cereal with me. Thankfully I'm done at noon. I would have stopped somewhere to get something but I work near the Citibank building and it's all egg on a roll greasy type meals.

I work for a fresh food diet delivery company but the breakfast isn't my speed today. Planning on a big salad and Lentil soup for lunch. Also going to sit down and plan out meals for the rest of the week and hit Trader Joe's.

Hope you all have a great day.

meowee
10-15-2007, 10:43 AM

Calamine Lotion works wonders for the itching BOBBI . . . but you do look a little funny . . . :lol:. . . especially if you have to go to work.

Sounds like an interesting place to work PEAS . . . do you get a discount?

Hope you all have a great VOLUMETRICS kind of day, gang . . . see you later. :D

bobbigene
10-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Good evening all. First day back at work after 2 weeks - 247 emails were waiting for me! Maybe that's why I got hives - I knew what was waiting for me. I think the hives have been worse than the poison ivy. At least it got me lots of sympathy at work. At any rate, I'm back on track with watching what I eat instead of just watching the fork move from plate to mouth!

teacher1
10-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi everyone,
I just bought a Sole treadmill and elliptical from Dick's online. It will take a couple weeks to get delivered. I'm excited and freaking out because it's a big expense for a teacher! But I'm really trying to focus on working out. I joked with my boyfriend that we'll be eating soup all winter. I just wanted to share the big news.

gailr42
10-15-2007, 10:39 PM
You will be eating soup because it is good for you! Congratulations on getting the equipment. That is exciting.

I fried up some turkey sausage with asparagus, red bell pepper, onions, garlic, and half a large zuchinni. It was very tasty. With it I had a salad of baby greens under pears, blue cheese and Trader Joe's fat free balsamaic vinaigrette.

I like the TJs ff dressing quite a bit better than the Newman's own light vinaigrette. The Newman's actually has some olive oil in it, but it has a chemical-y taste that I don't like. It might be the freeze dried onions, red pepper, etc. I also like Trader Joe's FF Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette. You can use it for marinades, too. Most of the ingredients in the two TJ's dressings are words I know:lol:. The list of ingredients seems long until you look at a regular grocery store brand. Anyway, I am picky about salad dressing. It has to taste good or I won't use it.

gailr42
10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
I am aggravated with myself - I bought a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken breast and failed to notice that it is the kind that has been injected with something for flavor and tenderness. It give it a very wierd texture - sort of like raw chicken. Yuck. I didn't notice until after I had cooked and then tasted it. Darn.

meowee
10-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi there . . . :wave:

peas
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
The new equiptment sounds awesome teacher...I can understand the cost feeling like abig plunge. I have the space so I was considering buying a machine myself.

I've officially learned my lesson about skipping breakfast. Around 8pm my body goes nuts and despite having just eaten dinner wants to eat whatever is available. No matter how odd I am eating something in the morning. I forgot my yogurt today again and had hummus and baked whole wheat pita chips from the menu at work today.

It is a big help working at a diet delivery company. The plan is just based on healthy eating not any particular plan. I can grab a side salad at any point during the day and with the exception of a co-worker's birthday cake yesterday not much i nthe way of Office junk food temptation.

Going to work my excercise back into the mix tonight. Had a cool conversation with a friend who's been actively excercising the same amount of time I have and hasn't lost any weight either. THe increase in endurance is nice but a pound or two lost would be nice.

meowee
10-17-2007, 10:05 AM

I slept in this morning . . . but so did the sun. Hope it makes a permanent decision about the day soon. One thing that is sure . . . it's pretty cool out there. I must do some laundry today and it feels like a good day to make a pot of soup.

Have a great one, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking just as much as you can. It will eventually pay off. . . :grouphug:

gailr42
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
I think most sucessful weight managers eat breakfast. It has taken me a lot of years to get that idea through my head. I always eat breakfast, now.

I made up a batch of Ellie Krieger's white chili last night. I ate some and put some in the freezer in individual servings.

I think I consumed about 1750 calories yesterday. I need to cut that back a bit, if I am going to loose any more weight.

teacher1
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Peas- What exercises are you doing?

Good night everyone. It's been a long day. I did have soup and some raw veggies for dinner.

peas
10-18-2007, 08:47 AM
I was attending a bootcamp class and we were doing Presidental Fitness Test type excercise. My schedule is nuts for the next few weeks so I'm currently using the Women's Health Magazine Ultimate Fitness Plan/The October issue of the actual magazine which ahd alot of the things we were doing in class.

I also want to start hitting the track near my house as a supplement.

As far as food this week has been a learning week. I found out that I can start eating without realizing it. I was working on some writing went out to pick up coffee got a phone call that was stressful and ordered a piece of cake and started eating it before I had a chance to even think on it.

Otherwise I need to get myself to the grocery and plan out the majority of my meals to avoid "What should I eat" moments.

Hope everyone has a great day.

meowee
10-18-2007, 08:55 AM

We have sun . . . it's gorgeous out there . . . :yes: Hope it lasts for a few days.

Mindless eating is a downfall for a lot of us. So easy to get totally caught up in something and before you know it, you've scarfed down many hundreds of extra calories. Same things as mindless smoking which used to account for at least half of my tobacco/nicotine intake when I was a smoker. Lighting the cigarette (or lifting the fork) gives you time to think about what you really have to deal with without having to look like you are thinking -- did that sentence make any sense at all. :dizzy:

Have a gret day, gang . . . see you all later . . . :carrot:

gailr42
10-19-2007, 10:46 AM
I have been tracking my calories on the free version of Fitday. What an eye-opener. Even though I am doing really well with the quality of my food, the quantity is too much. Also, I was surprised to see that I am not getting all the recommended nutrients even though I am eating quality food, and plenty of it :lol:. I am going to start taking a "mature multi" vitamin and some extra calcium.

AND - I am back down to 149 this morning. Yay!!!!

meowee
10-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi gang . . . it's afternoon already . . . I'm on the run today . . . see you later. :wave:

meowee
10-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

It's pouring rain . . . yuck . . . but at least it's fairly warm. Nothing exciting in my weekend plans anyway so maybe I'll get started on my new quilt project -- hey, it's too wet to go Christmas Shopping anyway, right ????

Have a great day . . . :carrot:

bobbigene
10-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Good morning all!
:cp: :dance: :cheer2:
My ticker finally moved - guess the first week back to work after 2 weeks of vacation stressed me out so I forgot to snack on not so great choice foods. (Never say bad food, no food is bad, just too much of a certain food is bad!) I'm hoping this 3 pounds is the start of a new trend for me.

Hope all is well with everyone. I'll check in later.

meowee
10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
:yay: BOBBIGENE :yay:

gailr42
10-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Good job Bobbijean!

Meowee, not only is it to rainy,windy, hot, cold - whatever - to go Christmas shopping, it is too early. Wait until after Halloween.

teacher1
10-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Bobbijean- Congrats!!!!

Hi everyone,
Have a great weekened :)

meowee
10-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Good Morning . . .

We have sunshine :yay: . . . but with winds strong enough to blow small children away . . . :lol: Nothing too exciting in my plans anyway.

Have a fun day everybody . . . :wave:

bobbigene
10-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi everyone! Thanks for the encouragement!

meowee
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM

Another beautiful day in northern Nova Scotia -- :sunny: with calm winds and a predicted high of over 20C/70F -- almost unheard of for the latter half of October.

Hope everybody else has a great day, too . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

gailr42
10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
What a gorgeous day you are having. It is very windy here - our wind is related to the wind causing all the fires. Fires aren't so much of an issue in the desert.

ArtCat
10-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi all-
I'm new- I've been reading from afar and thought it was about time to commit.

I've also tried pretty much every diet available and found I wasn't able to stay with them long term, so the Volumetrics approach seems at least more doable. I've read through past blogs from you and got some recipe and dieting ideas, and liked your blog so much that I thought I'd join because I need the support. I've ordered the new Volumetrics book (I read the old one from the library already), and also ordered the Beck book. People have also mentioned the books Mindless Eating and Thin for Life (I don't know which one), but for now 2 new books are enough. I tend to read a lot, and then not follow through.

Any advice is welcome-
thanks, Liz

meowee
10-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Welcome to our group LIZ and :wel3fc: too. You have definitely come to the right place for lots of support as you travel the long and sometimes bumpy road to better health and fitness. So glad to have you with us, Chickie and I do think you will find that the principles of Volumetrics will fit just about any plan you can think of. I really do believe that the secret is finding the individualized regimen that is right for you for the long term. Good Luck . . . :hug:

And a great big HI and a :wave: for everybody else, too. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned. We have another beautiful, mostly sunny and unseasonably warm (70's) kind of day shaping up. Would love to see it continue all the way through to about December 23 -- then snow for Christmas, of course. :lol:

See you later, gang . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
10-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and I'm shamelessly posting again to see if I figured the ticker thing out or not.

meowee
10-23-2007, 09:09 AM
I think we have a winner . . . :yes:

BTW . . . :high: on the 18 pounds you've shed so far.

gailr42
10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi, ArtCat. Don't forget you can get almost anything you want, bookwise, out of the library. Your ticker looks good.

meowee
10-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Me again . . .

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it just never seems to stop. Here's an article I got in my in-box this morning about the lastest 'invention' in the world of tampered-with food. Meet the latest 'nasty' being introduced to replace TransFats . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/food_and_nutrition/fake_fats.html

Obviously the article is aimed at those of us with diabetes -- but unfortuntely it has implications for everybody. :mad:

peas
10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Happy Tuesday all.

Today is the first day that I felt like I was doing it "right". I have been drinking a ton of water and I am working the evening today and will probably go for a walk when i get home. I made a mini stop at the grocery but still need to pick up a few more staples.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

teacher1
10-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi ArtCar welcome. I have the Mindless Eating book and would recommend reading when you get a chance. But it's probably a good book to check out from the library.

Busy day at work. I'm having issues getting my elliptical and treadmill delivered. Hopefully they'll come on Friday afternoon. Then another company will have to assemble them. It's been a big headache!

gailr42
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Last night, I had a really good dinner. Caloric cost was about 600.

Grilled turkey burger on a toasted slice of artisan bread, topped with carmelized onions

Potato salad - taters, onion, lots of celery dressed with Wasabi flavor Gourmayo

Asparagus spears

Spinach salad with onions, orange and red cherry tomatoes

I got a new gas grill, and does it ever do the burgers nicely. I just love it when I have a meal that leaves me happy! No deprivation for me.

I am really sold on ground turkey. I buy it in one pound packages for spaghetti sauce type recipes. I buy the preformed, frozen burgers. The label says they have some sort of flavoring added - what ever it is I like it. I guess I should try making a burger from the one pound package.

meowee
10-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi everybody . . . :wave:

teacher1
10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello everyone,
Well I had a rough day. The treadmill and ellpitical are being sent back. It's been a huge mess and I'm not happy at all with my order. Hopefully, I'll get my credit back to my card and then shop at a local store. I thought it would be fine to order online. I did all kind of research but it's been such a hot mess. I can't even count how many phone calls to various companies: the store, the movers, and the assembly guy. I'm upset but I know everything happens for a reason. I'll keep you posted on my equipment drama. It's helps to vent!

meowee
10-24-2007, 08:25 PM
What a shame . . . but you are right about everything happening for a reason. Once this is behind you, you'll probably be much happier with the next purchase. :hug:

ArtCat
10-24-2007, 08:34 PM
The best laid plans...

Don't use it as an excuse to not exercise in a different way until you finally get the equipment you want. It's easy to feel discouraged. I have a quote posted on my fridge that says "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." I don't know who said it, but it's true.

I did pretty well today eating-wise, but not exercise-wise. I'm looking into exercise band stuff- it's easy and convenient, so maybe I'll actually do it.

Time to feed the cats- they're harassing me! BTW, they're fat, too, so I have them on diets! And my husband!

meowee
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM
How many cats LIZ . . . I have six, but only one that is getting a little too fat since she was spayed . . . that's Purrecious who also happens to be my avatar. The two older males are okay.

Of course, three of them are still kittens, and about 7.5 months old. Who knows what might happen when they are older. :dizzy:

meowee
10-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Morning everybody . . . :wave:

ArtCat
10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm so jealous that you have 6 cats! I only have 2 right now, both females, both spayed. One's a long-haired muted calico named Cleo and the other's a tortie named Feia. I also had a great dog- black lab and border collie mix- that died on May 1. The tortie thought the dog was her mom, and she still really misses him. She's an odd cat.

I tried a little of the exercise band stuff this morning- I think it's doable, just in an abbreviated form for me right now.

Hope everyone has a great day!

meowee
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey . . . there are days when I think I've got at least a dozen of them . . . this is turning out to be one of them. There isn't a cupboard door in the house that Purrecious hasn't opened at least twice today. The other five just sit and wait while she 'takes care of the door' and then they all climb in. :dizzy:

I've got some of those tension bands that I use alternately with my little two pound weights. Not bad . . . you definitely know you've been doing something. Keep up the good stuff.

teacher1
10-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone,
It was a much better day. Still working on the workout equipment drama but making some progress. In the mean time, I'll try to get into my turbo jam workouts!

gailr42
10-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Good for you, teacher! Don't let the exercise equipment get you down!

I got ground turkey for $1.25 a pound at the grocery today. When I got home, I made a five pound meatloaf and a pot of turkey spaghetti sauce. I have the comfort food covered for a while. I got some of that Ronzoni pasta blend ( part whole wheat). It is fine, but it seems to me that you need to eat it right away. The pasta doesn't seem to freeze too well - the texture gets wierd.

meowee
10-26-2007, 11:56 AM

teacher1
10-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi everyone,
It's been a long week. My goal this weekend is to exercise both Sat and Sun.
Have a great weekend :)

gailr42
10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I looked at a couple of other folks' Fitday. I sure am getting a ton more food on my plan. I looked at the food list and was, like, where's the rest of it! :lol:

meowee
10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
:love: Volumetrics . . . I know I could never do it on some of the restrictive diets that some people are 'enjoying'.

ArtCat
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I looked at Gail's fitday today, too, just out of curiosity of what it was. It looks like you need to enter EVERYTHING down, EVERY day- I know I just won't do that. I admire you for consistently doing it!

I guess that's why Volumetrics appealed to me- you can get away with not having a food journal.

Bought lots of apples, looks like today is applesauce canning day!

teacher1
10-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi ladies,
I just did a 30 minutes walking at a fast pace on the treadmill. I have a quiet afternoon of cleaning. Have a great day!

gailr42
10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
ArtCat, I just started doing the Fitday thing. I quit loosing weight, so I thought I had better find out why. Part of it was that I was eating just a tad too much. Some of the foods are already there and you just click on them to add to your food list. Some you have to customize. It is actually kind of fun.

ArtCat
10-28-2007, 09:45 AM
So do you enter stuff as you eat it, write it down during the day and then enter it, or sit down at the end of the day and just remember everything you ate? Or a different way I missed? And do you measure everything or just eyeball it? I could see having to do that when you're getting closer to your goal, because it always gets so much harder to lose then.

I spent all day yesterday making and canning applesauce, no sugar added. I ended up with 6 quarts and 25 pints, but it seems like I usually end up giving most of it away.

gailr42
10-28-2007, 11:02 AM
I either write it down or do it as I go. I forget too much by the end of the day to remember accurately. It depends on what the food is whether I guess or "eyeball". My big salads, I just count as two or three cups. Meat, I usually measure, although I have been doing this for so long and been on so many diets, I kind of know what the portions are. I was surprised to find out a while back that I was "overcharging" myself for some meat type items. I always measure cheese because I am a cheese addict. I use it by less than tablespoon amounts in my salads. I guess the more "suspect":lol: the food is, the more carefully I measure.

Also, I find that I tend to eat the same things over a period of time, so once you put something in custom foods, you just go back to it and enter it. It takes longer at first, because you are learning how to use the program and figuring out how many calories in everything.

Love applesauce. I buy the unsweetened in the little single serving cups. I think it has 50 cal/serving. I am thinking we should go to Tehachapi, the apple capital of southern california, and buy some apples and make applesauce!

I think one of the things that helps me to eat better is to prepare food ahead and freeze it in individual servings. I have a couple of different kinds of chili, soup, veggie cassarole, turkey spaghetti sauce, all ready for me to just grab and go. I cook chicken breast, slice or dice it and freeze on a tray so that they don't stick together. When frozen, I toss into a freezer bag. When I want chicken salad, I grab a (small) handfull. Same with a whole salmon I got a while back.

meowee
10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
:wave:

Just to let you know I'm still around but working on day two of feeling kind of crummy.

peas
10-28-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm in Boston for the weekend visting friends and I've definitely falling into "vacation eating" mode.

Finally going to hit the supermarket to stock up on breakfast I can keep at work and quick things to add to a salad.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend...meowee I definitely had a feel crummy day on Thursday so I can relate.

gailr42
10-28-2007, 11:19 PM
You gals have to stay healthy! Take care. Peas, I'll bet there are some wonderful things to eat in Boston.

I noticed when I was doing the fitday food thing that I had spinach, onion and tomatoes in all three meals. An omlette for breakfast, a salmon salad for lunch and spaghetti with a spinach salad for dinner. I hope I don't end up looking like Popeye with all the spinach.

Yep, Meowee, I could never do this with as little food as some folks eat.

BillBlueEyes
10-29-2007, 04:08 AM
At a potluck yesterday, I started with a big cup of "vegetable stew" - mostly cabbage in enough water to almost qualify as soup. That started the feeling of being satisfied; moderation after that, even though faced with a full table of choices, was easier than when in similar situations.

Methinks you Volumetrics folk are on to something :)

XXXXXXX 7 XXXXX|| 14 ||||||| 21 ||||||| 28 ||||||| 35 ||||||| 42
Completed Beck Program-day 12. 30 to go. Keep going!

ArtCat
10-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Linda- feeling crummy from diabetes? I deal with migraines almost on a daily basis, so if it's something like that, I can relate.

Gail- thanks for the tips. I think I really need to plan ahead and have cooked and ready meals in the freezer like you suggested. Last night I was too tired and unorganized, so my husband went and got a pizza, and I didn't fight him. Kiss of Death. Before that, I was feeling pretty positive about the whole week. Something ready in the freezer would have prevented the pizza.

Does everyone usually weigh in every week?

gailr42
10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I usually weigh in every week. When I first started "weight management". I sometimes got too tired and too hungry like you are taliking about. I figured out that I had to have some quick energy on hand, and I used a nut/seed/dried fruit mix. One serving is 1/4 cup and has almost 200 calories. That is a lot of calories for such a small amount of food, but it kept me from eating pizza or other stuff that would sabotage my diet. I carried a small container of it in my purse for emergencies:lol:. Now that I have been doing this for a while, I don't seem to have so many times when one minute I am fine, the next I am falling apart with hunger.
+

meowee
10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Hi gang . . . Afraid I'm really down in the dumps . . . "lost" one of my 7.5 month old kittens yesterday. He tried to fight with one too many plastic bags. :cry: Such a freaking waste of such a special little life. :cry: Today his sisters are wandering the house trying to find him. Guess Heaven needed a Bengal kitten yesterday.

teacher1
10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Linda,
I'm sorry for your loss. Take care

meowee
10-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

I'm feeling quite a bit brighter this morning -- amazing what a good night's sleep can do for you. The sun is shining, too and that always helps. It is cold though; just above freezing; but no snow yet.

Have a great day gang . . . :wave:

ArtCat
10-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Linda- I'm SO sorry about your kitten! They become such a part of your life, like your own children. Sometimes it's just so hard to understand why the bad things happen. I'll think of you when I hug my kitties today.:hug:

gailr42
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh my gosh, Linda, I am so sorry to hear about your kitten.:hug: That is so sad. They become such a part of the family that you really miss them when they are gone.

We lost one of ours, too. A few days ago, we let him out in the morning, and never saw him again. The very next day, I saw a bobcat cross our driveway with a rabbit in his mouth. We wonder if maybe that's what got Simon. We are so careful about getting them in before sunset and not letting them out before it is fully light, but I guess it didn't work this time. We miss our little Simon.:( He is the one on the left in my avatar.

meowee
10-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Oh GAIL :hug: . . . not knowing if Simon is okay or not must be really hard . . . at least I know that Freckle has gone to 'that good place'.

meowee
10-31-2007, 09:01 AM

Looks like this is going to be one of the best Halloween's (weather-wise) that I've seen since I moved to Nova Scotia -- Sun is shining; high is going to be about 10C/50F; and the good weather is predicted to continue through the evening hours.

Best of all -- for me, anyway -- I let the scale:devil: out of his corner and he grudgingly rewarded me with a 2 pound loss for the month of October. :yay: He's going away again though. I know he'll be constantly trying to get 'under foot' if I leave him out and then we'll only start fighting again. So he's staying hidden until the last Wednesday in November (the 28th). ;)

Hope you all have a very Happy Haunting Day . . . :spid:

ArtCat
10-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Gail- I'm so sorry about your Simon-:hug: how old was he? Is he still not back? My calico got attacked by a dog once. She survived, but her personality changed permanently, so I just don't let them out anymore. I can't take the anxiety. They're not too happy about it, but I guess that's too bad. Once in a while I let them out on a long leash while I sit and read- guess that's better than nothing.

Linda- congratulations! It looks like you only weigh in once a month? I was wondering if that was a smarter way to go, since on the Volumetrics plan you tend to lose at a slower pace. I thought that maybe I lost 1/2 lb last week, but I can't really tell on my scale, so it almost feels like I lost nothing. I think I need to switch to monthly or biweekly weigh-ins to not get discouraged.

I also noticed that if I don't get enough sleep I'm hungrier. I was really tired yesterday and felt hungry all day. I think they're connected.

meowee
10-31-2007, 04:38 PM
:lol3:

I'd like to weigh-in weekly . . . but that seems to evolve to climbing on the ratty thing daily and then getting really :mad: about the perfectly normal ups and downs . . . so, for me, out of sight, out of mind is my best bet. Seems that once a month is all I can handle without driving myself :crazy:

teacher1
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
It was a crazy Halloween day at school with way too much junk food! Back on the volumetrics plan tomorrow :)

gailr42
10-31-2007, 06:50 PM
We had a potluck lunch today. My lunch was one slice of cheesecake. Over 400 calories, but worh it. There is candy lurking around here, but I am refusing to notice it.

meowee
10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Stay strong, Chickies . . . :yes:

ArtCat
11-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I was good and didn't buy any candy until Tuesday, but unfortunately we have some left over from last night. It was rainy, so we didn't get as many kids as usual. If I was smart I'd give it all away.

meowee
11-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Step away from that candy LIZ . . . :yes:

Anyway . . . it is that time again . . . a whole new month and a fresh new start to our journey.

Here's a link to our new chat thread, gang . . . see you over there . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1914039#post1914039