LA Weight Loss - Oct. 1st to Oct. 7th Friends and Loser Thread

bayoubelle68
10-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Boo to you! Can you believe it's October? Have a great week!

LittleBlueCat
10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I LOVE THAT!! Boo to you!!

:wave: Happy Monday :)

JLem311
10-01-2007, 10:23 AM
hey everyone. just checking in for the day. i have to work later tonight, so i have the whole morning and afternoon free. gonna get a workout in soon.

October 1st is World Vegetarian Day! The whole month of October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. You can check out www.worldvegetarianday.org for more cool info!

MomOfThreeTeens
10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Good Monday morning everybody!!! Hope it's a great week for one and all! I am determined to be POP this week even if it kills me! I am letting the little cheats in more often than I should. I got my maintenance info Wednesday when I went to WI and all that yummy food I get to add back has been calling my name! I just have to remember I cant have it all at once! LOL

Have a marvelous day!

emmysmom
10-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Happy October everyone!! And no, Felicia, I cannot believe it's October already...time really flies!

I've been lurking lots lately, but I'm back to posting now. Work has just been a bear!

I got DD's Halloween costume and she is so excited! Her ballet class is in the Halloween parade and the float is "Enchanted Garden" so she is going to be a ladybug. I'll be sure to share pictures. 3 has to just be the best age! She's like my little best friend and just so much fun to be around. I can just sit and watch her play and I'm just amazed that this little girl is growing up right before my eyes.

Here's to a POP day!!!

Missed you all very much!

Dan2112
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Morning gang...

Kim, Liz and I are right there with you!! We had a decidedly "off plan" weekend... It started with a wedding rehersal dinner on Friday, the wedding itself on Saturday and the a small Octoberfest party on Sunday along with a playdate for our son and a friend at "Itz" (which is like Chuck E. Cheese on steroids)... We did our best to get veggies and fruit in, but our other choices weren't that great.. We did bring our own low-fat, reduced calorie chicken/spinach brats to the octoberfest party, but that's about as good as we could be...

On the plus side, my friend Mikey's wedding was beautiful.. There were a ton of people there and the food was fantastic... Even the kids liked it...

slim n trim
10-01-2007, 11:59 AM
good morning everyone, hope everyone had a great weekend!

was just reading the 5 day plateau buster, think I am going to give it a try. We were out of town this weekend for a wedding, and lets just say I ate and drank alot of things that I shouldn't have. Sept has been a crazy month with lots of wind up parties, birthdays, weddings, golf tournies, etc.... but now things should settle down, and I am looking forward to being pop. Thought maybe the 5day pb might help get me back on track.

wish me luck.....

gotta go tackle my mountain of laundry.

Cripple Turtle
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Good morning,

I just found this site.

I'm tiring to lose the baby weight. Thought I would say Hello.

Dan2112
10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome CT! Post early and post often... This is a great place for support and advice..

Glad you're here!

KrispieD
10-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Hello Everyone.. we are getting ready for a long weekend ahead for the Canuck Thanksgiving.. last year I had been on plan for 3 days when we got together for the dinner with family. I had my 9ozs of turkey, a 3 oz glass of wine and a three boiled new potatoes.. to my left and right and across from me was my family piling up the mashed, gravy, stuffing etc.. but I stuck to it and a year later am a much happier person. So for all those having tough times, stick it out.. those weeks where you don't lose or only see a few ounces off eventually add up!
I too have gotten off track lately though and have recommitted myself to getting right back on track.. I didn't work that hard for a year to get tight pants again! So as of today I will be sitting down and meal planning for the next two weeks. I will enjoy Thanksgiving with much more control but plan to work hard the rest of the time. So for my other slackers and weekend cheaters let's make a plan to get back to the basics!
To all the new members.. welcome!

slim n trim
10-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I am with you Kristen..... back to the basics!!! couple of extra pounds and all of a sudden the jeans feel tight. Of course - yesterday everything hurt - mainly my head. Last year I totally missed thanksgiving. All of a sudden the night before a flu bug hit me, and I spent all night throwing up, and slept thru thanksgiving.... so I am looking forward to it, but I too will have thanksgiving dinner with control - just a little bit of stuffing, not heaping spoons full.

We can do this everyone!!!

Jrny2aNewMe
10-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Good morning everyone! - although I suppose for some of you it's already afternoon.

Tina - 3 is such a cute age, we'll be looking for those pictures.

Liz (Dan too) Congratulations on the new truck. How exciting.

Karen - I think I forgot to mention this earlier - Congrats on the new grandbaby! Even more exciting!

Welcome CT

Quick question for you all - I thought I was being really good on the weekend and picked up 2 butternut squash (one was to make soup) and one spaghetti squash and thought I would be set for a good portion of my vegies for the week. When reviewing my book though it says that winter squash counts as a starch not a vegie, yet all the recipes I can find for spaghetti squash count it as a vegie and the butternut squash recipes are split between couting it as a vegie and a starch. Which is it? Help!

BarbaraB
10-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Val, I would guess that the spaghetti squash would count as a veggie and the butter nut squash would count as a starch. But that is just my guess.

Karen, I managed to stick to the plateau buster menu for the weekend! It is actually pretty easy, and it feels very healthy to eat that way. I feel thinner even if I haven't stepped on a scale since I started it. TO always feels like I'm being a bit mean to my body, but this plateau buster just feels like I'm being super healthy.

zambejaly5
10-01-2007, 03:59 PM
morning all, I FEEL GREEEAAT! just like Tony! 3 days in (NS) and 3 lbs down, now thats what I'M talkin 'bout! next weekend we go out of town for a wedding as well, so I hope I survive that! This morning I tried on a pair of 14s just for a lark,,, THEY FIT comfortably!!! I couldn't believe it! I have been hovering between a 16 and an 18 for months now! so I will be wearing 14s to the wedding, yay!!!

sounds like everyone is trying to get there head in the game before the holidays hit, thats good.

Welcome Cripple Turtle.... do we get a real name to call you? and welcome to all other newbies....

heres to a good POP day!

JLem311
10-01-2007, 04:05 PM
awesome job lettie! glad to hear that NS is working for you! :)

healthy2b
10-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Jillian - enjoy your afternoon off

Tina - I remember the "3's"- lots of fun -time flies so enjoy every minute!

Dan- sounds like you and liz had a busy/fun weekend- those kind of weekends are fun but go by so quickly that Monday comes back around way too soon

Karen - good luck with your 5 day PB

Cripple Turtle:welcome:

Lettie - congrats on your 3lbs!

Hi Felicia, Nancy, Kristen, Val, Barbara and TT Kim

I had a terrible weekend....didn't eat too much but ate way under...Saturday barely got half my portions in.....I really need to get focused!

amylou7777
10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey everyone!

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Not sure if it's the turn of the month, turn of the season or what but I'm right there with you all on getting back into the game. I've been mostly on plan but feel my focus slipping away. I have too far to go to let go now. I decided to start my first ever TO yesterday and it really got me focused. I am determined to do it pefectly and so far I can tell that it has worked both mentally and physically. I am so ready to look good at Tgiving and Christmas!!

happy thanksgiving to all of you in Canada and gl being in control at the dinner table. the holidays are so tough!

I am so glad this cold is gone. I was really able to get some work done this weekend which always makes the week eaiser.

have a terrific Monday everyone!

KSingleton
10-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone! I am so excited about October. It was about 49 degrees when I woke up this morning, but now it is about 85! Can you believe it? I love Fall...It is my favorite time of the year.

Well, I have an update for those of you who heard me complaining about the counselor at the COD last week. She really did give me a kick in the pants or maybe I was just a little bloated. All I know is I stayed POP all last week and it showed at Saturdays WI. I am down to 178.8. I am so excited! Just .8 of a lb till I have lost a total of 20lbs!!!! WOOHOO!!! I have lost a total of 18 1/4 inches, of course that is all areas added together!!

I am determined to make this work! I am going out of town this upcoming weekend for a church conference. It is always so hard to eat correctly at this events because we have church 2 times a day and we just eat at the cafeteria in between services. I am at the mercy of the buffet lines. I am looking forward though to making the right choices and staying POP.

I hope everyone is having a great week!!

BarbaraB
10-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Krista, That is great! See the program works, maybe not every WI is great, but if you keep with it, eventually the small losses add up and you are looking at something really worth while.

My DMIL saw some pictures of me and raved excessively to my DH recently that she couldn't believe how good I looked. That felt really good, since she used to make subtle digs at me for my weight. Not that she ever said anything too mean or anything like that, but I could tell she thought her boy deserved so much better. Helped me to stick with the platea buster as I really want to get back to my goal weight and to keep this weight off for forever.

Amy, Good luck on TO. I always felt that it was great for refocusing on the plan. Sometimes you can have a really good loss from it too. Law School, how impressive! My mom lives in Eureka, so I would spend summers there and then move in August to Chico and about die from the heat Sacramento was a lot of fun, since you could be in San Francisco or Taho in just a short trip. I moved up near Taho after I graduated from college, so we'd take short trips to Sacramento from time to time... Always had a good time.

Lettie, 3 pounds in 3 days! Woo Hoo! As long as you plan what you are going to do at the wedding, It will likely go well.

bayoubelle68
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
I love this time of year! My students are so excited about all the crafts that we have planned for this month. Paper plate spiders, tissue paper ghosts, I always help them make skeletons out of pasta. It's really cute - wagon wheel for the head, ratiatore for the spine, penne for the arms and legs, broken angel hair for the fingers and toes, elbows for ribs. They always LOVE doing that. This year, our 5th grade buddy class is coming to do it with us, so it will be even better. We're carving a big pumpkin next week for the room. And then, on the day of our Halloween party, we do lots of edible crafts. Scarecrow cupcakes, witch's fingers treat bags...I love it!!

Joni135
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
This is the first chance I've had to check in!! Hi everyone. Felicia - sounds like you enjoy this time of year as much as the children!

Tina - Lady Emmybug sounds adorable. Glad you got your project out of the way and will be checking in more often!

Jillian - new picture!! You are so good about updating your avatar.

Amy - glad you are on the mend.

Kristen - it seems like just yesterday when you started the program, and look at your now. You are my SHE-RO.

Gotta run...I'll try to check back in later. My weekend was POOP and I have no one to blame but me. Guess I'll go read that plateau buster thread too! Oh wait...I need to go find the Weekend Gain Buster plan. I'm not going through a plateau right now!

Ternoway
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Everyone,
Like Kristen, I too will be celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving next weekend. I want to be as good as possible this week so that I can enjoy at least a little helping of the bad but oh so yummy foods that turkey time brings with it! I'm hoping to enjoy everything without over-indulging, but I know how hard that will be.

;) Have a great week everyone!

BarbaraB
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Ternoway, Happy Turkey Day to all you Canadians in advance. If you are cooking you can make lower fat versions of old favorites and you know what, no one really notices! And you can have some guilt free! I did that last year, and it all turned out pretty good. After all turkey is on plan, and with a few tweaks a lot of the other old favorites can be too. Last year they handed out some recipes at the COD too. Stuffing is pretty good made with apples and celery and low sodium broth.

Felicia, how fun! I don't think they would allow such a thing in the school my daugher attended, as they are so uptight about offending anyone.... and of course the kids must always work to improve their state test scores! To the point of craziness sometimes I think. I do think when you have a school where a significant portion of the parents were foreign born, there is a lot more room for misunderstandings and kids feeling left out, so they deemphasize that a lot in the school. Some cultures just have a hard time with the whole trick or treat concept, let alone the lets put skeletons and ghosts everywhere and carve up pumkins. I suppose if you step back and look at it from some outside perspective, it is a little weird.

amylou7777
10-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh my gosh Felicia-those pasta skeletons sound so fun! I want to make one now!! Do you just have them glue it to a piece of construction paper? Love the idea.
Barbara- it has been fun to be up in Norcal and experience new places. I have good friends in SF and we've gone to Tahoe a couple times since I've lived here. It's nice now that my little bro is close by at Chico. I've never been any further north. I would love to see Mendocino and the redwoods and Eureka!
Congrats on your big NS loss Lettie!! Keep it up.

Great job Krista!

TO has gone well, almost done.

By dbf and I will celebrate our 2 year anniversary on Wednesday. I've been craving cheescake factory food since this summer and would love to take a day off to splurge. Still deciding.....

amylou7777
10-02-2007, 01:50 AM
I keep forgetting to mention how great Katy's new avatar is.

And Jillian you are lookin smokin' of course!!

I love to see the progress in the pics.

goodnight all

zambejaly5
10-02-2007, 08:37 AM
good morning all, wow I am the first awake? well today I was down another pound!!!! yippie. so 4.5 lbs in 4 days. ahhhhhhh.
two more days til we leave for the wedding. My DHs sister, who is getting married, is a contol freak, which this time is good. she sent the menu for the entire weekend, so I can plan in advance what I need to bring and what I will eat there. also we are all staying at a park in cabins, so I can hike some. better get kids off to school.

bayoubelle68
10-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Barbara - I know what you mean about stressing test scores. I'm very blessed to teach at a school whose test scores have made us an "exemplary" Louisiana school for the past 4 years. Our principal believes in working really hard, but she also understands that kids are kids and they need down time. Besides, I always find ways to incorporate it into classwork, too: The kids each bring a small pumkpin and we have a weighing, measuring, graphing activity. I buy "Dem Bones" candy and each child dumps his bag out and graphs how many of each part he has. We study bats in science and talk about scary misconceptions about them. There are lots of ways to help kids learn and still have fun!

Of course, I'm one of those crazy teachers who gets a high school cheerleading squad to come to the school when we're learning about measurement. Each cheerleader is assigned to a small group of children and the kids get to measure the length of her cartwheels on the sidewalk. On Dr. Seuss's birthday, we always have green eggs and ham and we have lots of special guests come and read to the kids - a soldier, a chef, a police officer, our mayor, my friend who's a local t.v. weatherman. The kids LOVE it! I try to plan at least one cooler-than-average activity each month.

Amy - yes, each child gets a sheet of black construction paper onto which they glue the pasta. I'll send a picture once we've made them!

bayoubelle68
10-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Lettie - congrats! I'm thrilled for you!

Repo girl
10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Felecia- What an awesome teacher you are! Are you sure you don't want to move to Idaho and teach my kids?

We drove to Yellowstone Park on Sunday and had a blast. I forget how lucky I am to live where I do sometimes. We are 1 1/2 hours out of Yellowstone, and also 1 1/2 hours out of Jackson Hole, WY. Anyway, we took the kids to see the animals, geysers, mud pots, etc. We did tons of walking, which was great for DH and me. This Friday we are leaving for Montana to stay in a cabin with a hot spring, and dig for crystals. I am so excited!!!

Lettie- Good for you! I am trying something a little different right now too.

zambejaly5
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
ooooh katie that sounds so fun! I love yellow stone I have only been there twice and both times were before kids. I would love to take my kids there sometime. maybe next summer.... I should just plan it!

(so what cha doin different?)

MomOfThreeTeens
10-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Katie-We took a trip out west with our kids a few years ago and had a blast. We did 15 states in 16 days. Almost 6,000 miles. My favorite place we visited was Jackson Hole. I wouldnt want to do the whole trip again but would love to go to Jackson again. Yellowstone was great with all the animals!

Lettie-Congrats chickie! Hey, I say whatever works go for it!

Well I've got out of my munchie funk I think! I decided to completely cut starches out for a few days just to try to get over the cravings! And guess what? It didnt kill me! LOL I just have to get my eating back on track before it catches up with me!

Felicia-My kids had a kindergarten teacher that was a lot like you, always doing fun things! You sound like an amazing teacher!

Everybody have a wonderful day!
Ohhh, the wedding is in 2 1/2 weeks, ACK! LOL I still dont have shoes to match my dress, ugh!

Dan2112
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
That's great news Lettie! Congrats!!

Amy - The LAWL cookbook has a great recipe for cheesecake, so you can eat (mostly) guilt free... And if Liz and I can make it taste good, anyone can!

Liz and I are bound and determined to be good this week after throwing the baby out with the bathwater this past weekend.. Beyond diet, Liz is kicking my butt in the exercise catagory. She's really enjoying the Taekwon Do.. My problem is getting motivated and getting back into the gym... But I'm gonna go tonight and get in a good workout..

I made Chicken soup last night, using a low salt spice mix I picked up at the State Fair. It has rice in it, so we'll have to be careful when it comes to counting that as a starch. I also threw in some roasted New Mexico Green Chile, but I may have used too much.. I'll know when Liz emails me at lunch to tell me it was too hot for her to eat.. :lol:

Ok everybody.. Be one with your POP today!

amylou7777
10-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Congrats Lettie! So glad you are back on track and feeling good.

Katie-your trip sounds great! And yeah, let us know how you are changin it up!

Felicia-I had a great 2nd grade teacher like you! Sounds like so much fun. I worked at one of those "all about the testing" schools throughout college. It was so sad that they didn't get to do much fun stuff. It was an english as a second language class (the whole school was) so it was hard to get creative. Luckily I had a lenient head teacher who was good about breaking for fun, but your class sounds like a blast!!

Dan-thank you so much for the cheesecake suggestion. I think I'm going to make it later this week.

Kim-congrats on conquering the carb cravings and good luck finding shoes!!

I'm headed to w/i pretty soon to see what my official loss from my first TO is. I actually enjoyed TO. Not so sure if I would want to do it every two weeks, but it was kind of nice to not have to concern myself with getting all those veggies in. My homescale better not be tricking me....bc as of right now it looks like a nice 2lb loss! Keeping fingers crossed....

aguerin
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
GM all and congrats to all on those wonderful losses. I survived D.C. and didn't gain anything which was good. I should have lost some given my schedule, but no gain is better than gain.

I want to be in Felicia's class too. Maybe we can do an online project where she guides us through making our own Skeletons. That would be fun and bring back some childhood memories.

Congrats on the loss Lettie! I was out last week so I'm not sure what diet you are following now. Was it Nutri System or something else?

I can hear everyone on the getting focused. I'm OP, but not having much luck from it with all the interruptions I have had in the past month. Don't want to do a TO or FF or the 5 day Plataeu breaker either, so I guess I do need to get re-focused. I was considering going back to the Gold Plan just to get some movement, but dont want to give up my "extra" servings on Plan 2. I will have to think about doing one of those. I would like to see 140, but not in a hurry. I feel like it will come.

Jrny2aNewMe
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
G’day!

Lettie – Congratrulations. Whatever works for each of us is what counts!

Felicia – You sound like a wonderful teacher! It’s so nice to see a teacher/school incorporating fun into learning, and not going overboard on trying to be ‘politically correct’.

Katie – Hope you have a good trip to Montana. Sounds like fun.

Amy in CA – Sending light thoughts your way for your WI.

Kim – Good luck on finding shoes. WTG on getting past those carb cravings – they’re my worst enemy!

Amy in AL – That’s great that you didn’t gain while in DC – great job!

Hope everyone has a great POP day!

Katy66
10-02-2007, 03:51 PM
HEY! I've missed you guys:) Just haven't had a chance to post or catch up on posts since the festivities for my nephew's wedding started last Thursday. It was a beautiful wedding and everyone enjoyed themself...me a little much with the food and liquid fruits but hey he is my only nephew. I've not even had the courage to step on the scales yet this week to see the damage. I've just been trying to get back in the groove. I did manage a work out yesterday (strengthening) and plan on doing cardio tonight. I'm hoping this will get me motivated again. Like some of you have said, just not sure if it is the change of seasons or all my recent "excuses" to be off plan but I've just not been with it. Back to basics!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like there has been a lot going on and some great losses.

Felicia - the crafts sound like lots of fun. I'm always amazed at the things they do with my DD at her preschool. It is a good thing because I don't have a crafty bone in my body:)

Amy - Glad your trip to DC didn't trip the scales for you:)

AmyLou - Thanks for the compliment on the avatar.

LEttie - congrats on your loss and happy to see you are still talking to us LA gals (and guy)

Dan and Liz - good luck being on plan this week...sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat:)

Kim - good luck with the shoe shopping:) You are one brave woman, cutting out starches completely.

Well better get back to work. Have a great afternoon!

MomOfThreeTeens
10-02-2007, 03:55 PM
I just felt like I had to for a few days Katy, I just couldnt get the nibbling under control! I'm just not going to let myself get back in those bad eating habits!!! Glad you enjoyed your nephews wedding! My sons wedding is in 18 days! I told DH the weekend of the wedding I was going to celebrate and enjoy myself! Not going to worry about what I eat, ok not totally anyway! LOL I just want it to be a fun weekend!!!

Ternoway
10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I received my first compliment today and I gotta say it felt great! One of my former teaching assistants was in school today and hasn't seen me since we worked together last year. I've only lost about nine pounds so far so I haven't really noticed a difference in myself but I guess it's starting to show because she certainly did notice and told me so. Hurray! :D

amylou7777
10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Yay for compliments! Isn't is so motivating?

Well guys I'm happy to report that I lost two more pounds from this TO and have passed the 40lb hurdle!! It felt good to be on a roll at the COD. They were very excited for me. These last 5lbs have come off rather quick, so I'm sure I wont have another big loss for a while, but hoping to lose 4 more by the time I fly home on the 12th.

Val-thanks for thinkin of me!

katy-welcome back! And yes, it's back to the basics. Good luck getting back into the game.

Kim-wow the countdown is on for the wedding! Just think, you can be good for the next 17 days and then feel like you earned a night off at the wedding! We know you can do it.

Hope everyone is having a great evening. I'm off to make some dinner!

zambejaly5
10-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Congrats on the loss Lettie! I was out last week so I'm not sure what diet you are following now. Was it Nutri System or something else?

(yeah, it is nutrisystem. shhh, I am trying to hide out in LAWL-land.)

bayoubelle68
10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Amy - hip hooray! Congrats on jumping that hurdle!!

Dan2112
10-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Ternoway... Don't forget that you're not just losing pounds, but inches as well, and I know for many here, the inches came/come off a lot faster..

Those first few compliments are like mini "shots in the arm" that really are a great way to stay motivated, especially when the diet stalls out from time to time as it invariably does as our bodies adjust to our new lifestyle..

Keep it up!!

Have any of you seen that show on BBC America where the nutrician specialist pays visits to families who are in desperate need of lifestyle changes? It's a riot, yet pretty disgusting at the same time.. She makes them look at their poops and shows them what's wrong with it becuase of the food they eat.. I think about what we used to eat in our house and think about how much better we're living now...

maiat
10-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Val,

The spaghetti squash is considered a veggie, but butternut and acorn are starches. I found this in the new Free To Live booklet. I made sphaghetti squash just yesterday and boy was it yummy! I added sauce, ground turkey (and spices), & skim mozz and then I used a whole wheat english muffin with butter for my garlic bread - (8 grams of fiber)!

Maia

aguerin
10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Good Morning All. Happy Wednesday.

I have been fighting the urge to over eat the past few days, even cutting one of my starches (3 to 2) and I have seen some movement on the scale. I have 3 lbs to lose to make my Columbus Day Goal but I don't think I will make it unless I do a TO.

Congrats on the Compliment Ternoway. That will help boost your confidence and staying power.

I don't think I have ever tried spagetti or butternut squash. if I were to venture in those directions what is an easy/best way to cook them? I have been cooking the summer squash in the microwave like a baked potato and it is good with a little ICBINB.

Jrny2aNewMe
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
G’day all!

Way to go Amy (in CA) – you’re just rockin’. I decided to start a TO myself today, as for some reason (I have no idea why as I’ve been extra careful in being POP) the old scale has been slowly creeping up the last few days, so thought I would start a TO and try to nip this in the bud.

Dan – I haven’t seen that show in particular, but I have seen one a couple of times called “Honey, We’re Killing the Kids”. I can’t remember for sure which channel it is on, but I think it was TLC or Discovery Channel. Very eye opening. Although, of course, they show extreme cases, there is certainly something in these shows for us all to learn.

Maia – Thanks for the info. That’s pretty much what I thought, especially for the acorn and butternut squash, but I was confused over the spaghetti squash as technically it is a winter squash, but must me light enough that LAWL considers it a vegetable. Kind of like I’ve never really understood why peas count as a starch yet sugar snap peas count as a vegetable.

Hope everyone has a POP day!

MomOfThreeTeens
10-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Good morning everybody! Its comfy day at work, this is Homecoming week so everyday the kids get to dress according to a certain theme. Today is Cowboy day which means staff got to wear jeans to work, ahhhh! LOL I've got on my lowrise jeans with my shirt tucked in and I have to say that feels amazing!

My 2 whole days of NO starches has netted me a 4 1/2 pound loss. I know its water and its just getting rid of the few pounds I was UP on the scale at WI last week. Just shows how much overeating starches makes our bodies retain water!

Amy-Congrats girlie, awesome job!

Ternoway-Congrats on the compliment, sure makes all this hard work worth it!

Lettie-Glad the NS is working for you! Keep up the good work!

KrispieD
10-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Amy way to go on that hurdle! Lettie hide out here all you want.. we won't let you go!

We have become fans of Spaghetti Squash too and here is a simple and tasty way to make a great side dish.. I cook this with grilled pork tenderloin and green beans.. you feel like you are having pasta but you aren't!

INGREDIENTS
1 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1/2 small lemon, sliced

DIRECTIONS
Place the squash halves, cut sides down, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/8 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until tender; cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes until the zucchini begins to brown. Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Using a fork, scrape the squash strands into a bowl. Toss with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Mound the squash in the center of 4 pasta bowls and spoon the vegetable mixture around the squash. Drizzle with more oil, if desired, and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if using. Add the lemon slices.
4 Servings

Joni where the heck did KimPhin go???

MomOfThreeTeens
10-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Kristen-That recipe just counts as a veggie right? I'm going to have to try that, it looks good!

KrispieD
10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
It's a south beach recipe but all I see are veggies, 1 Fat for the oil and since it is 4 servings likely a 1/4 dairy.. it is really good.. you can also just use it as a pasta replacement and top with tomato sauce (low sodium of course Dan) and mix in some sauteed veggies and top with parmenan for a primavera type dish :)

MomOfThreeTeens
10-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Man, that sounds really good! I'm gonna have to go grocery shopping! LOL

MomOfThreeTeens
10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I read a post the other day by somebody, Liz I think about moving to green. I was told at my COD that I wouldnt move to green until I reached 134. Like that is ever gonna happen! So if you're on gold you're likely to stay there a while!

Dan2112
10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Morning gang...

Things are going well here.. I'm going to take half a day off!!

Liz is going to start adding some more protein to her diet and see if that gets the losses going again. Since she's upped her activity by taking Taekwon Do, she thought she'd try that... She's busy as heck at work, while I'm kind of in a "down time" now that fire season and the State Fair are over.. I have some projects coming up, but nothing right now..

Sorry to prattle on... Probably shouldn't, but I'm going to have more of my chicken green chile soup for lunch again today.. I made so much I hate to see it wasted.. I wonder if it would freeze ok...

Katy66
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Good Wednesday Afternoon! Hope everyone is have a better on plan day than I am. We had our annual special awards day at work today to coincide with the anniversary of our organization. The lunch actually wasn't bad (stuffed chicken not much stuffing at all, veggie lasagna, green beans and carrots steamed, and fruit. I had small amounts of each but the problem is that I broke down and had bday cake. It wasn't worth it though, not very good. I've got a work out scheduled for this pm though so maybe I'll work it off:)

Not much time for personals, hopefully I can check in later.

BarbaraB
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Kristen, I think I need to buy a spaghetti squash too, that sounds too good.

Kim, Wow... I'm so jealous, just cut back on starch and lose 4 and a half pounds!!!!! I wish... I really do. I've cut back to weight loss portions for a MONTH and done 2 TO and now a plateau buster and the net result, still 5 pounds up... considering I was 3 pounds up after the first TO, well I am just getting discouraged. Oh well, I did have a few slips last week with the pizza and the chinese food lunch, so I guess that wiped out a whole MONTH of trying.. darn... OH well, guess I haven't done a FF yet.. Perhaps I'll try that... something has to work! I KNEW this would be hard, as it was so hard to get these pounds off the first time... I'm beginning to think my body just does NOT want to be that low... If only my husband weighed more than me, I'd be OK, but darned it all I think I'm back up to weighing more than him and that just sucks.... and trying to sneaky feed the man is not working... LOL..

Joni135
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Kristen -
Joni where the heck did KimPhin go???
I got this msg from her earlier this week when I asked for Challenge updates:
I can't really go on the site during the day anymore, and I've been doing other things in the evening, so sorry I'm not posting. Tell everyone I miss them. There are probably so many new people that I'll have to reintroduce myself!

Dan2112
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Kristen, I think I need to buy a spaghetti squash too, that sounds too good.

Kim, Wow... I'm so jealous, just cut back on starch and lose 4 and a half pounds!!!!! I wish... I really do. I've cut back to weight loss portions for a MONTH and done 2 TO and now a plateau buster and the net result, still 5 pounds up... considering I was 3 pounds up after the first TO, well I am just getting discouraged. Oh well, I did have a few slips last week with the pizza and the chinese food lunch, so I guess that wiped out a whole MONTH of trying.. darn... OH well, guess I haven't done a FF yet.. Perhaps I'll try that... something has to work! I KNEW this would be hard, as it was so hard to get these pounds off the first time... I'm beginning to think my body just does NOT want to be that low... If only my husband weighed more than me, I'd be OK, but darned it all I think I'm back up to weighing more than him and that just sucks.... and trying to sneaky feed the man is not working... LOL..

Barbara, there's NO WAY a daliance with pizza and Chinese could wipe out a month of healthy eating.. You might see a day or two of higher scale weights, but that's mostly because of your body still processing the physical food..

If I can be decidely undelicate, can I ask how your regularity is? I know my lack of it has made WI's particulary weird on occassion...

Are you getting in your water and hot lemon water? How about your salt intake?

It may also be time to visit your doctor.. Show him/her your daily menu diaries and see what he/she thinks may be the problem...

healthy2b
10-03-2007, 05:05 PM
:wave:Hi All..I went to see a new doctor yesterday (6 month thyroid checkup- old doc moved) and picked his brain on why I may not be losing....of course who really knows, but he suggested that since I have been working out at the gym like crazy three to four days a week that I should try to tone it down and not go to the gym and just try walking for an hour a day to see if that makes any changes. His thinking is that while I'm doing at lot of cardio, I'm working too hard and need to slow it down to burn fat. I have a hard time staying in that heart range that says you burn fat because I don't feel like I'm working hard enough. I'm going to try it and see if it doesn't work....no more gym for me for a couple of weeks and walk, walk, walk for me. I'm hoping this will help.

TT Kim - 4.5 pounds....yay....just no carbs...amazing!

Lettie - congrats on the loss...I just may be joining you doing something different if my scale doesn't start moving in the right direction

Joni - thanks for the update on Kimphin

A big hello to everyone else.....hope your week is going well.

Joni135
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Liza - do you cover breaking news like this:
SAN DIEGO - A four-lane road buckled Wednesday and sank slowly in a hilly upscale neighborhood, threatening several homes. No injuries were reported.

Carrie - Just my two cents. If you have a good workout routine going, and you enjoy it and it makes you feel good, DON'T STOP!!! I've been on this site for about 18 months and whenever someone stops working out to get their weight loss moving, it really doesn't help. Mix up your routine a bit, vary your exercises, but don't quit; continue with weights and cardio; you need them both. Go to the main 3FC site and post something on the Exercise thread and see what some of the experts on that site have to say. I used to have a great gym routine and stopped and now I'm having the hardest time getting back into it.

healthy2b
10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks Joni - I know how hard it is to get back into after being out of the routine for a while. I will check the exercise thread out.

BarbaraB
10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Carrie, I might try that too, just dial it down a bit on the cardio intensity and see if it helps. It does seem to me that the harder I push myself with exercise intensity, the less luck I have getting the scale to move.

Dan, I am a regular kind of gal... LOL... Perhaps I'm retaining a little water... I will drink a small lake today, break out the HLW and see if the scale is any kinder tomorrow. I've got to check the labels for sodium more carefully, as I've gotten a little lax lately and it really does not take much to keep the scale from showing a loss.

JLem311
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
hey everyone. just checking in for the day. work was nuts today. the weather was odd this morning and that results a crazy/busy day in the coffee biz.

anyways, not much to report. i'm off on friday, so i'll go and WI @ COD then. not sure there will be a loss...i've been pretty stalled out lately and TOM is due so we'll see.

gonna go and get a workout in...i don't want to, but i will! i know that i've been losing inches because of my workouts, so i'll take that over pounds lost on the scale any day!

ok, hope everyone has a great night. probably won't check back in later...gotta be up by 330am.

lizababe
10-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Hahah Joni! Yes, that's the big story but instead of covering it in the chopper, I'm watching them circle from my back window. Unfortunately, I've got the full blown flu. I tried to go to work this morning and was there when it first started happening but had to go home after that. While I'm missing some big stories over the past two days, I did end up an "embedded reporter" during some breaking news Monday night. On my way home from work I was making calls to arrange for others to fill in for me (takes three to do my job) and pulled up to a gas station nearby. I saw a chopper circling around so I looked and when I recognized it was a police chopper the spotlight came down right where I was and about a dozen units appeared with lights on and guns drawn. Apparently, there was a fugitive at the pump in front of me. When I realized they weren't interested in me I slowly walked over to the side and someone said "We should call the media!" Uh yea, that would be me. Hello assignment desk? It's Liza. There's a standoff at this gas station. How do I know? I'm in it.

Never a dull moment.

I want to do personals but I need to go serve up this soup I've been cooking all day and hit the couch again. I'll have to catch up more later.

equinetcan
10-03-2007, 09:18 PM
hey gang,

Its been a few days again I know but I check in everyday, I just don't always have a lot of time to post. Still working a lot. I am planning on trying to have sunday off but I've said that each of the last 2 weeks and it hasn't worked. Still doing 12 + hour days most days but not all. Today I just did a normal 8 hours.

As of tomorrow 2 weeks till I close on the house. I got some packing done this past weekend during the few hours I was home. I am trying to box up as much as I can as the guys get to move all the boxes. Anything bulky or loose I'll try to move myself on the few days before the 21st when the furniture and boxes go.

I am getting excited now. I need to do some shopping for the house too but I have 2 weeks off over my move time so I can go shopping then. I need to get furkid supplies so that she has all her stuff ready when she come to visit. Of course I'll have to get her a few new toys too!!! lol not like she is spoiled or anything!!!

I am not really doing anything for the long weekend. It won't be long for me. Mom is going to visit family in Halifax so thanksgiving sunday will be a quiet one. I might cook myself a small chicken or something.

Guess that's about it for me. Have a good rest of the week everyone!!!

bayoubelle68
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow, Liza! Never a dull moment is right! Thank goodness you're safe!

I'm neck-deep in homecoming-related print jobs. I get all these phone calls from desperate moms saying, "My little girl is in the running for homecoming queen/princess. We need 500 stickers for her to pass out at school and you did some last year for the girl who won! Can you do that by tomorrow?" So in between grading papers - which I WAY behind on - and designing custom sports posters for our photography business, AND being a mom/wife/chef/chauffeur/housekeeper, I'm now printing PILES of sticker sheets with things like "Vote for Ashleigh - 10th Grade Princess!" It cracks me up that some of them act like hiring me to print for them makes them a shoe-in to win!! That's me...Felicia Pate - Homecoming Whisperer!

I got word today that my most challenging student (academially low, a constant discipline problem, been referred to the office 5 times already for fighting at recess) is moving. At first, I had this (forgive me, but it's true) feeling of relief. But then, I realized that this is the worst possible thing that could happen to him. I have been working with him and trying so hard to help him find small successes in class. I referred him for testing for special services and I'm in the middle of the initial 12-week intervention process that begins the testing. I'm so worried that his next teacher won't follow up on it. It's sad, but there are some teachers who get a student like him and just put him in the back of the room so that they won't have to "bother" with him. He's actually a great kid - really funny and charming - and all of his behavior problems stem from the fact that he's frustrated with not being able to keep up. He is repeating 2nd grade, so no matter how he does this year, he will be promoted since children can only repeat a grade once. That may mean that he slips through the cracks without getting the help he really needs. His home life isn't the best. At our open house, his mom - with him standing right there - said, "You do know he's stupid, don't you? You're going to have to work real hard cause I don't like working with him at home." He just hung his head. I told her (and him) that I remembered him from Mrs. Cooper's class the year before and that I knew he wasn't stupid. I just thought that he had missed some basics early on and that I would do whatever it took to help him catch up with the rest of the class. I honestly think that our classroom is the only stable place in his life. When I hugged him at the end of the day today, he told me he loved me and said he was really going to miss my hugs. I nearly choked up, wondering if my hugs and words of praise are the only ones he gets.

zambejaly5
10-03-2007, 10:46 PM
ok, I am off tomorrow morning for my SIL's wedding. we will get home sunday. don't know if I will be able to get on the puter til sunday or not. have a great weekend!

Joni135
10-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Felicia - okay, you've got me boo hooing over your student and I also want to just slap his mama! Why are some people allowed to even birth a living thing? You also made me laugh with your reference to the Dog Whisperer/Homecoming Whisperer. Hope you get all your work done. I got worn out just reading about it all.

Lettie - have a great time this weekend.

Alannah - sounds like you're pretty busy too. Hope everything goes smoothly with your move.

Liza - boy, never a dull moment for you! You've been sick quite a bit lately. I think your immune system is shot and MiniMe needs to take over all laborous household tasks for the next few months while you recover (cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc.). Hope the soup was good!

momof3boys1girl
10-03-2007, 11:31 PM
i just wanted to thank everyone ...I have finally got my motivation back again...i feel wonderul amazing incredibel..it really is amazing what eating healthy can do for you emotionally and physically...I just cant believe how great i feel..the last few days i have spent on here reading and posting more than usual..i just feel so good ....I have pop for 3 days now i hope i can continue and not mess up this time ...i really would like to lose 15 lbs before my cruise we shall see thanks again to everyone for being here on this great website

lizababe
10-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Haha Joni - she's got the dishes and taking out the trash down. She's also on poop duty for the yard over the next few days though she doesn't know it yet! Between her getting colds at school and bringing them home to me and the petri dish studio and chopper it does seem to be one virus or another lately. I fought this one off for two weeks and actually said last week it would take less time to just deal with the full blown flu than it took to fight it off. Hopefully this will be it for a while. The soup was AWESOME and I shared it with my neighbor. I'm not sure if I can really call it a soup since it was so thick. Chicken breasts, fresh garlic, all kinds of fresh veggies, peppers, pepper sauce that I brought back from Mexico and then added red beans and wild rice. The peppers cleared me up for a little while.

Anyhoo, enough about me. Felcia it sounds like you're having a busy but rewarding week! I hope you get a day of nothing soon!

momof3boys1girl - great job on your loss! I'm sending good vibes your way to lose that 15 for the cruise!

Kim your cowgirl outfit sounds awesome! We need pictures!

Liz - good luck with mixing things up and adding more protein!

Barbara and Carrie - I'm sorry to hear you've stalled. I hope this ends soon for you.

Repo girl
10-04-2007, 09:43 AM
i just wanted to thank everyone ...I have finally got my motivation back again...i feel wonderul amazing incredibel..it really is amazing what eating healthy can do for you emotionally and physically...I just cant believe how great i feel..the last few days i have spent on here reading and posting more than usual..i just feel so good ....I have pop for 3 days now i hope i can continue and not mess up this time ...i really would like to lose 15 lbs before my cruise we shall see thanks again to everyone for being here on this great website

That is wonderful Jamie! Good for you.

Repo girl
10-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Felecia- Oh, sorry to hear about your little guy. Sounds like you have been a bright spot in his life. Hopefully his new teacher will fall into step with him easily.

Liza- How crazy about the gas station. Were you sitting there wondering what you did that would make the police helicopter chase you down?

chiquita623
10-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Good Morning everyone. I've been MIA the past couple of weeks. Busy at work and now getting ready to leave on vacation in the morning. Going to the Gulf so hope there is good weather down there. Don't really have time for personals so I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and week next week and you all stay POP!! I'll be back sometime around the 13th and will try to catch up with everyone then.

Jrny2aNewMe
10-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Good morning all!

Well, it’s day 2 of TO – I believe someone here once called it torture oneself – I totally agree. However, the evil sclae is down 1 lb today, so hopefully it will stop this upward trend I had been seeing over the last few days, which was totally frustrating me as I was being entirely POP. Our bodies are so frustrating sometimes!

Hi Alannah!

Felicia – You sound like one of the most amazing teachers!

Liza – Hope you’re feeling better soon. That soup sounds ‘nummy and should definitely help.

emmysmom
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Ahhh, Felicia :hug:...the ups and downs of being a teacher!!! That poor little boy. I'm with Joni - lets slap his mama! But on a bright side, I'm sure you'll always have a special place in his heart...

amylou7777
10-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Morning friends!

Felicia-you really are a special teacher. I love hearing your stories, even the unpleasant ones.

Liza- what is going on in SD? I haven't had the tv on or anything so I haven't heard. What neighborhood sunk? What gas station were you at???? So scary!!!

So I feel a little guilty coming on here with all of your enthusiasim and encouragment regarding my recent big loss-bc I totally blew it last night. DBF and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary and went to dinner. Just a little neighborhood restaruant that we both like. Not sure why, but I totally pigged out and ate about triple what I should have. I know TOM is coming and that just makes me feel like I have a hollow leg, but still, I wish I would have kept up my momentum. Today is a new day and I'm going to be POP. I have a big party to go to in San Fran on Sat and I would like to enjoy a few liquid fruits without feeling guilty-so I need to be good!

Laurie-have fun on your vacation!

Jillian-I'm sure it gets crazy in sbucks when the weather starts to chill! I know I'm already excited for the warm drinks! How was myrtle beach anniversary??

Val-good luck with the rest of TO!!! glad the scale is already moving!

Ok all, I'll be in to check in later. Have a great morning!

momof3boys1girl
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
WOOHOO..It was my husbands and I 4th anniv yesteday and instead of going out and eating bad I decided to stay home and cook and be good...I made steak and shrimp dinner it was great and on plan...when my husband picked up the kids yesterday from m n law he brought home a bag of choc chip cookies and im proud to say i did not have 1 cookie...it sure feels good to stay away and this morning i am down another pound 3lbs since monday :carrot:...im so happy and excited and feel great... thanks again for all your support
JAMIE

lizababe
10-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Katie - I never did think they were after me but when I saw all of the guns drawn WTF? was going through my head as I scanned my surroundings to see what was around me they'd be after and make sure no one was close enough to grab me or use me as a shield. I've seen enough standoffs from a reporters perspective and crime shows thank you! How's your cutie nephew? We need more pictures!

Felicia - I'm so glad you were there to make a mark on that little boy's life. I had a few people in my childhood I will never forget for their kindness. He'll always remember you fondly.

Val - good job on the 1lb! I hope that downward slide continues!

Amy - Remember the houses built on the side of Mt. Soledad facing the canyon on the I-5? They're sliding down the hill now! It's been declared a state of emergency and 100 houses have been evacuated. Sorry you went off plan yesterday but at least you had a good time and today is a new day to get back on track. Happens to everyone!

And Starbuck's... I left at 4AM to hit Walgreen's for some Sudafed. After a half hour of answering why I'm buying a decongestant, swearing it's not for drugs and giving every piece of identifying information I finally got my Sudafed and discovered the ramp to the freeway I needed was shut down. I called into work and told them I was going to be late and had someone cover my first news cast. Since I was already late I decided to make it worth it and went to Starbucks.. Oh the power of the latte...

Joni135
10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Liza - I guess the soup must have helped.....glad you're up and about today...take it easy, if you can.

Amy - Happy Anniversary. Hop back on this never ending ride (well, it seems never ending for me!).....you'll get there.

I made it to the gym this morning...woo hoo....I made it to the gym... woo hoo!

Has anybody read Eat, Pray, Love (by Elizabeth Gilbert)...it's a best seller. Anway, the author is doing a one hour show with Oprah tomorrow (Friday). I think I'll tape that too. I need about 10 hours to catch up on my recordings!

aguerin
10-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Good Morning All! GLad to see all the victories with losses and such.

Felicia - I almost choaked up reading about that poor little boy. He probably doesn' t even try with a parent like that.

Sorry to hear that some of you have had some cheats. We need to get real focused on being OP. That coming from someone who was going to do the 5 Day Plateau breaker starting today and made it to 11:00 before having a bite of something that wasn't allowed. But it was birthday cake of which I just wanted to "taste" the filling in the middle. It didn't impress me. But ruined my 5 Day plan anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving all you Canadians. I can't wait until Thanksgiving here.

Val,

The spaghetti squash is considered a veggie, but butternut and acorn are starches. I found this in the new Free To Live booklet. I made sphaghetti squash just yesterday and boy was it yummy! I added sauce, ground turkey (and spices), & skim mozz and then I used a whole wheat english muffin with butter for my garlic bread - (8 grams of fiber)!

Maia

I have a question on the Squash. My Maintenance book lists all these as Winter Squashes and as Starches. Where can I find the information where the spagetti is listed as a Veggie. Keep in mind my book is from the Colored Plans. I found one called Delicata in the grocery store. DOes anybody know anything about it? Any recipes?

QueenLucia
10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi
on veggie list - 2nd column half way - it says:
Squash: Zucchini, Yellow or Spaghetti - this is on Plan 2

BarbaraB
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Woo Hoo! The scale finally went down a bit! Only 1 pound, but I'll take it!
God Bless the power of HLW!

Joni, great that you got to the gym... I thought a lot about what you said about not cutting out the exercise. I do think I will cut back, but I was attempting to get in 5 hours of cardio a week. According to my estimates I was burning off close to 4000 calories a week in exercise, and I really think that is too much. I read somewhere that most people who successfully maintain burn between 2000-3000 calories a week in exercise (that is where they come up with the 60-90 minutes a day of walking, but I don't think most of those folks are walking off their calories). And that will be my new goal. One that won't be so hard to keep up with. Plus I need to devote some more time to toning and weights, and if I'm spending all my time being cardio queen, that doesn't happen. So perhaps I'll still get in the 5 hours, just use them a bit differently.

Liza, hope you are really better and not just dragging yourself back to work.

Alannah, I'm so excited for you to finally move into your house and have your furbaby back. I'm so very attached to my own furbabies (I have a cat and a dog) that I just can't imagine not having them with me. What is the new house like? Does it have a nice yard? Don't work too hard!

Felicia, Oh I just don't think I could be a teacher and listen to some parents just destroying their child's self esteem that way! You sound like a great teacher, who is making a difference for her pupils. You also should try not to work too hard though! You and Alannah both make me tired sometimes just reading your posts.

lizababe
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks girls - actually, I'm not better. I had to drag myself in at 4AM because there's no calling in sick at that point. Now I'm back home and plunking myself back on the couch. I've got others covering for me this afternoon. At least there were no standoff's on my way home this time.... No exercise for me this week. Enjoy being able to get out and exercise this week!

On the bright side. I got an email from my Dad today that just hit the spot. Mind you, he's 92 and emails me... that still cracks me up. Oh and part of his email was that he's thinking of getting a Mustang Convertible! Anyway, I'll share the sentence that makes me feel loved and special today:

"I try and read the bible every morning. Today was Corinthians 13 all about love.. That is Jesus message to the world-LOVE- I love you and your child. Dad"

I tease him about reading the bible so much because he's cramming for the finals...

Katy66
10-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Just doing a fly by to say hello! Trying to be POP today which will be the first time in many:) Wishing you all the same.

healthy2b
10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone....

I haven't been to COD all week but will go tomorrow but I have gone back to trying the purple plan no lites to see if it makes a difference. They told me not to, thus me not going to COD this week, it will be interesting to see by the end of the week if I have lost anything....trying to stay away from the scales until tomorrow.

Barbara - Yay!!!! Scale victory for you.....

Liza- The gas station thing would have scared me to death - hope you feel better soon. Your father sounds like a sweety!

Felicia- you are such a great teacher and that mother needs someone to set her straight... I can't believe people these days....what was she thinking saying such a thing period let alone in front of her son. I'm with Joni and Tina, she needs to be slapped!

Jamie - WTG on your 3 day POP...keep up the good work.

Hi Katy

Val - good luck with the rest of TO

Amylou - It was your anniversary - didn't anyone tell you that you have permission to indulge on your anniversary:)

Joni - WTG on getting to the gym - I say that Elizabeth Gilbert was going to be on Oprah and I also set my DVR

Joni135
10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Liza - your msg about your dad made me laugh AND cry. He sounds like a gem! Does he live close to you and minime?

aguerin
10-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks Queen. I missed that. Of Course the Maintenance Plan that they gave me is from the colored plan. Doesn't that make sense? I'm on a numbered plan and they give me a colored Maintenance Plan book. Guess they either don't have Numbered Maintenance Plans or arent getting them.

I was really ticked at the counselor that I met with on Monday. I called them to let them know that I was on travel. Well they called my house twice tocheck on me cause I hadn't been in. I told her that I would be in when I could and I didn't need them to call me because I am not a two year old. They should know by now that I travel and they sure should note my folder when I tell them.

Grrrr! Its just been that kinda week.

Katy66
10-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Good morning all! I can't believe that I'm the first to post on this thread today, what is up? Hope everyone is having a great day. I've added some exercise to my routine, finally. Three days this week I've done 30 minutes of strengthening and then did some cardio one other day. It is stressing me out a bit to get it in but I'm committed to keep it up. I've got to something to get back on track and recommitted to this plan.

Amy in AL - I was out of town so made an appt for two weeks and my COD still called me (twice) to ask where I had been. Well I was ticked about the appt thing so when I went in I told them to check their book before calling me again.

Liza - your Dad seems wonderful. 92 and still full of life:)

Carrie - Good luck with changing your plan. I think we definately know our bodies and what works and doesn't work best.

Hi to everyone else out there - AmyLou, Joni, Felicia, Dan, Liz, on and on. Have a great day:)

Dan2112
10-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Morning gang...

Hope all is going well... Been a busy week around our house.. Seems like we're getting busier all the time...

Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians! Have some turkey for me...

Not too much on the horizon for this weekend, so Liz and I shouldn't have too much trouble staying OP... At least I hope...

Liza.. sounds like you were having "one of those days"... I know how those feel!

Katy - Good job getting the body moving.. I hit the gym once this week and didn't have the best workout.. I think I tried to do too much too quickly and paid for it.. I'm going to try to go back tonight, but then again, Ghost Whisperer is on... :lol:

Amy - Too funny about them calling to check up on you.. That happened to us last Christmas while we were out in California.. They called me on my cell phone.. Apperantly when they get new counselors, they get the "grunt" job of calling people who haven't been in for a week.. I was like "Um... You guys knew we'd be gone for the week."... Ugh!

amylou7777
10-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Morning all! Just a quick hello before I leave for work.

I'm back on track since the anniversary indulgence. I'm up a bit on the scale, but hoping it will even out after a good day yesterday and hopefully today!

Carrie-thanks for the reminder! I knew I would cheat a little....

Joni, Katy- congrats on getting your workouts in! I'm still in a slump. I'll be in SF for the weekend, so hopefully I'll meet my goal of getting started on Monday.

Felicia-how did the vote for Ashleigh sickers come out? It cracks me up to remember how big of a deal that stuff is these days!

Liza- so sorry you are so sick! No fun at all, especially when you can't even stay home from work. I finally looked up what had happened in LJ with the road collapsing. It looks so horrible! The pictures were unbelievable.

Ok guys, off to work! Have a GREAT Friday!

slim n trim
10-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Good morning all, wow.... its quiet on here today!
Sad to report its cold and snowing here..... I like my summer's.
Just thought I would do a quick check in - I have a list a mile long of things I am doing to day. Its Thanksgiving weekend for us Canadians, and I have two dinners to attend. I am making salads and raw veggie platters for both. For me - its going to be turkey veggies, and my indulgence will be a little stuffing ..... I don't like pumpkin pie - so dessert is no biggie for me.

Congrats to all of you who are losing - keep up the good work. I have been kind of doing the 5 day plateau buster, and drinking hot lemon water, and I have shedded the 2 lbs I was up after last weekend's wedding where we ate and drank till 3 in the morning - but now I have got a **** of a cold!

Hope everyone has a great weekend..... and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you north of the border.

BarbaraB
10-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canadians!

Great idea to bring the veggies and salad Karen, I also could see bringing the fruit salad too. I made a really great fruit salad last year with all sorts of exotic fruits in it. No one mentioned the lack of any whipped cream or other fattening things since they were too fascinated by the star fruit, etc. If you have something to put on your plate, everyone can relax and eat. Including you. If you want to weigh in all by yourself without another soul in the center, go in the day after Thanksgiving. You'll have no waiting.

Went to the gym this morning. Dropped my towel when I was on the stair master and bent down to pick it up and realized I was about to pass out. I don't know why the stair master says you hardly burn any calories, that thing kicks my tush every time. So I went and ran on the tread mill instead. I've been going to a lot of spin classes lately, which is easy for me since my DH loves to go and I just have to tag along.

Went to WI, and was down 0.8 pounds (almost typed 9.8 which would be a real shocker). Oh well.... been 2 weeks since I was in too, so 0.4 pounds a week, at this rate I'll be back on weight loss another 10 weeks. I have managed to be POP for over a week now, so I'm going to concentrate on making it two weeks straight. I bought some TO juice at the center. So I'll be doing that sometime soon. I also bought some meal replacement shakes. I never tried those before. Who knows perhaps I'll like them. I'm not sure though.

TGIF to you all, and hope we all manage a POP weekend.

aguerin
10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey All. I have a busy weekend coming up. I have a 1 year old birthday party to go to if the mother doesn't have her second child between now and then. I also have a baby shower for my 38 year old friend. Yeah, she wasn't happy when she got that news and I will probably have to work some. So don't know how much of a weekend I will actually have.

I also don't think I am going to make my Columbus Day goal. But the good news is that I have lost 5 of the 8 pounds that I signed up for.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Wendelina
10-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Hello Ol' Buddys & Pals!

Karen inspired me to attempt to post more often again :-) Thanks Karen!

Life has been too crazy, I've been too lazy about my dieting, and I need a kick in the arse people!! Who wants to kick me first? :-)
I'm on the band wagon again, new plan, new outlook and hopefully a new body on the way!

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canookers!! Back away from the dressing & gravy!

I'd better go read some posts so I know what the ****'s going on around here!

BarbaraB
10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Amy, The last few pounds seem to be really resistent to going and staying gone for me too (I'm currently working on losing them for the 3rd time in 6 months too!). You've done really super great for as much as you've been traveling, since it is really hard to stay on plan, and who knows what restaurants might be adding to your food (most likely a little bit more fat and salt that you would if you were home).

It is so quiet around here. I think we all just miss Nicole.

Joni135
10-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Karen - hard to believe you've got snow!! Still balmy and 80 in Atlanta, GA.

Barbara B - new avatar?

I thought Nicole was only going to be gone a week...well her time is up! NICOLE..............we missed you!

Wendy - you asked for it!:kickbutt::kickbutt::frypan::frypan:
Please come back and post a little more often. We need some fun chitter chatter and you always had some good stuff to say!

Short and sweet as work is calling. The new job makes us use Office Communicator so they pretty much know when you are online and when you stray. As much as I don't like being monitored, I must confess it keeps me a lot more focused.

To all my Canadian friends...be good this weekend.
:happ3:

aguerin
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Welcome Back Wendelina. We have missed you. Please stick with the board as we miss our friends when the don't come around.

Wendelina
10-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Ok.. I got some reading done! Wow a lot has gone on and this was the only thread I read.. I can hardly imagine what all I've missed.

I'm guessing that Nicole is in Germany on her big trip??

Joni - too bad Kimphin can't play with us during the day.. thanks for sharing her message with us. I'll miss her edgy wit.

Jillian - Looking mahvelous dahling! Woo Hoo!

Lettie - congrats on those size 14s! I'm glad I didn't get rid of all of my smaller stuff, cuz it feels good to pull out a pair of smaller pants and try them on for giggles and have them fit!

KimII - You surpassed your goal you little vixen mommy you! Way to go!

Felicia - You sound like the best teacher in the whole world. Your story of your student is so moving.. and you've probably made a difference in a little life. What an angel you are! I wish they were all like you!

Amy (Dixie Chick) - Are you on lites? If I have a pound or two to lose quickly, I'll cut out one lite for 2 or 3 days. It's a trick I learned from an ex-counselor.

Kristen - That squash recipe sounds great! Enjoy your thanksgiving!

Ternoway - compliments rock, don't they? Get used to 'em!

Barbara - Sodium will make a huge difference in your losses... right Dan?? Dan?? Where's your badge on this one?? :D

Dan - Have you gotten back to the gym? I'm having a tough time doing that myself. Is it more difficult since you've "owned" your goal?

Liza - Oh for crying in the soup, get some rest girl! All this excitement around you and having the flu--- you deserve a Calgon moment or two I think! Love your body ticker btw.

Alannah - You must be so excited for the new house! Packing isn't so fun, but the payoff is good ;)

Jamie - congrats on your losses! wtg!

Hellos to those I missed! Hellos to those I haven't met yet!

Wendelina
10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Joni - totally laughing at all the frying pans hitting my head!!! But much deserved!!

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.. it's nice to be back!

Jrny2aNewMe
10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey all!

Haven't had time to check what's happening with everybody today, but just wanted to pop in and say Happy Turkey day to all my fellow Canucks and Happy Columbus Day to all of you south of the 49th parallel.

slim n trim
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
yea Wendy's back!!!
now thats the humor that I have been missing.
Glad to see you on here - you have been missed!!!

Lynx
10-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Happy Friday everyone,
Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends. My mother was very proud to be French Canadian. Tourque pie anyone? I know there are different spellings.
I don't have time to shout out individually, but I want to wish everyone a successful weekend on our journey down the scale.

One thing though Barbara, I do think that you need to have your doctor check your blood pressure. The same thing happens to me sometimes when I bend down and my doctor said the faintness is caused by a sudden drop in the blood pressure. I had to have my medication changed especially since I had lost weight.
Regarding Nicole's absence aka her vacation- I felt compelled to go to the Dollar Store the other day just because it is one of her favorite haunts.....Just kidding. I hope she and DH had a wonderful trip. I am sure that they did.

Will someone please remind me of Cassi's famous words regarding not messing with the program because it works as designed or something like that?

week 39
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 49 lbs.

Joni135
10-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Here's for you Lynn...although I'm not sure it addresses your "don't mess with the program."

The answer to your question of how difficult is this to follow lies within you. Are you motivated? Are you truly ready to make this a lifestyle change? The program is stricter than WW, but you do get to eat your own food. Here is a link to a post I wrote about the program. After reading it, let us know if you have any more questions. Cassi

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104658&highlight=program+explanation

BarbaraB
10-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Lynn, Hmmm.. I never considered low blood pressure. I should get it checked. When I first started at LAWL they took my BP about every time I came in for a month or two (and it was dropping as I was losing). I haven't had it checked in awhile though. I don't think they measure the blood pressure anymore though. It was always on the high side, but that was quite a few pounds and a whole different fitness level ago. I still think the stair master just gets the best of me... The adjustment from one level to the next is just too big of a difference, so I feel like I'm moving in slow motion or killing myself.

Joni, I always enjoy Cassi's words of wisdom. Yes I put up a new avatar picture. That is me on my back packing trip near the summit of Old Snowy Mtn. We kept getting off the trail and it was really quite a scary climb up there, between going over glaciers and scrambling up the rocks. Old Snowy is in the middle of the Goat Rocks Wilderness which is just between Mt Rainere and Mt St Helen's and it is a very beautiful place.

bayoubelle68
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Alright, I've made you guys suffer through some rather depressing things that have happened in my classroom. I HAVE to share with you something funny that happened today:

I have this little girl in my class...let's just call her Suzie...who is a chronic fibber. I mean, she just pulls these wild tales out of nowhere on a daily basis. "Mrs. Pate, we went to China this weekend." "Oh, really, Suzie?" "Yes, ma'am. That was the longest car ride I've ever taken!" And she's totally serious! "My dad used to be the king of Mississippi." "My mom and I flew to Alaska last night and we had the best time feeding polar bears!" I love that she has such a vivid imagination, but I think sometimes she really believes this stuff. I can't stand that sometimes, the other kids laugh when she says something off the wall, but I don't know how to explain to her that fantasies are wonderful, but I'd love to have her in the real world long enough to finish her work!

Well, today, she says (in a loud voice from across the room so that EVERYONE could hear her), "Mrs. Pate, did you see on the local news this morning about the Silver War?" There actually had been a news story about a Civil War museum that's opening nearby. Before I could answer, all of this came out in one breath, "Well, my grandpa fought in the Silver War. You know, they said that whoever won the war got all the silver. Well, it was a long, hard fight - all through the winter - but my grandpa's team won and he got loads and loads of silver! So much that he had to make 38 trips back and forth to bring it all home!"

I was quiet for a second and then I said gently, "Suzie, that's the Civil War."

She thought for a second and then said, "Ooooh! Well, that explains it. Because he's not all that rich!"

I literally had to go and dig in a locker at the back of the room so that the kids didn't see me cracking up!

I love my kids!

lizababe
10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
LMAO Felicia! My daughter was that same student when she was younger. Her teachers would always show me her journals that always were some adventure about Keiko the whale saving the day. They also included no so subtle hints about how we lived in Oregon and she knew he was on the Oregon coast. Getting her head into the real world didn't happen until just recently and she's 16!

Wendy it's so great to see you here! I climbed out of sicko sicky world just to say hi.

Now I'm going back to bed.

jean2299
10-06-2007, 05:49 AM
Hello all. I joined 2 1/2 weeks ago and am doing plan 3 without lites. I am a total lurker on this board and have really been encouraged by your succeses and also your struggles. I am so glad I found this board! Happy weekend everyone.

bayoubelle68
10-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Welcome, Jean! We love it here! Lots of friends and support. You'll find laughter, tears, frustrations, and victories. The best part is that everyone here is a real person just like you, working to change our lives for the better. Welcome to the family!

TurboMom38
10-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I would just like to say hello to everyone. I restarted PWL on October 1st and because I am an old friend of the program, I started with the 21 day meltdown. Since Monday, I lost 2.4 lbs, I was hoping for more, but I will take any loss at this point.

I am determined to get to goal and stay there! I often let life get in the way and use it an excuse to not eat right or exercise....Gone are those days!

I am focused on me and becoming a better me. I know that I can do this because I did it before. This is my journey to getting fit and living a much healthier life. I love Turbo Jam for exercise, that is where my name came from. My DD purchase custom Nike Shox for me and put TurboMom on them.

I hope to give and get support.

Thank you!

Mama Nicole
10-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hello to all of my 3FC friends :) I haven't even looked at the computer yet, but wanted to let you all know that I made it home safe and sound from Germany :) I will do some reading later on tonight or tomorrow, and then tell you all about my trip :) I missed you all!!!
XOXO

bayoubelle68
10-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Nicole - Welcome home! We've missed you! It's been so quiet without you!

TurboMom - Welcome to the family!

Kim0303
10-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Felicia, You are doing better than I do. Sometimes I just laugh, I can't help it.
One of my speech students kept mumbling something at me the other day. He is in the fourth grade and I have been fussing at him that he should be doing better with his speech. I said,"I can't understand anything you are saying. Speak slower and focus." He said, "you wook putty today." I felt like a dog! I said well thank you, you are sweet!
I have a child with aspergers. She cracks me up. She has a wild imagination too. I do anything I have to not to laugh at her because she gets mad but she is hilarious with the stuff she comes up with. She does quotes out of movies. She is in first grade. She is a right. I ask her if she was going to be on tv when she got bigger. She said yes. She probably will be!
Hello all you new people.
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian buddies!!!
Welcom back Nicole!

equinetcan
10-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!!

I actually have 2 days off - count em - 2!! Although I did work 10 hours today.

Tomorrow it is just me and a friend for dinner. My mom is away and she can't get home for the holiday due to work so I am going to cook up a small 7.5 lb turkey and have her over. That way neither of us is alone.

Then Monday I am just relaxing at home and probably do some more packing. Then back to work the rest of the week and off for 2 weeks. I haven't had any extended time off in awhile. A few days here or there but nothing like 2 weeks. Now mind you a few days will be hectic with moving but its a good hectic!! After the last 6 weeks at work I need a break.

Liza - I hope you are feeling better. There is a virus making the rounds at work for us too. I wash my hands about 40 times a day I think!!

Nicole - I can't wait to read about your trip. I am sure you had an absolute blast!!

Barb - I am buying a minihome and it is in a park but we have really good size yards. Enough for me and the pooch to enjoy!! But not too much to have to shovel in the winter nor mow in the summer!! I am very excited - 2 weeks from now I am in the house as my big stuff gets moved on the 21st (sunday).

Joni - I know what you mean about being watched at work. We are all the time and then have to report various stats and numbers all the time. I've never had a problem with it but others have.

Guess that's it for now...I'll check in again later!!!

Tuesday Cool
10-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi, everybody. This is my first day on 3FC. I signed up on LAWL four weeks ago and wanted more personal interaction and support. Google is great! I have lost 10# in four weeks. Amazing really. I am not starving. I could be doing better but I cannot give up my second glass of wine! Plus, I have not mastered the little details like one bite of cheesecake.
October is my favorite month. The tourists have gone home and the beach is mine! Just me and my dogs!
Tuesday C.

Kim0303
10-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Welcome Tuesday and Turbomom and anyone else I missed. Congrats on the weight loss Tuesday.