Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #1  
Starting fresh!

S/C/G: 281/226/184

Height: 6 feet

Default A little nervous, need some help

I've posted before about how the receptionists at my WW can be a little judgmental when you weigh-in. If I've gained weight, they ask what happened and make a big deal about it. I'm sure it's out of concern but it comes across a little rude sometimes.

Anyway, I pretty much quit WW six weeks ago. I stopped counting points, going to meetings, exercising, etc. As a result, I've gained ten pounds and am disgusted with myself. I had planned to go back to the gym and meetings last week but got a nasty head cold which took me out. I want to go the meeting this Wednesday, but am not looking forward to weighing in. I know I will be up at least ten pounds and I do not want to have to "explain myself" to the receptionists.

I don't want them to scare me away so that I don't go back, but I feel like maybe I should wait one more week--do the plan, exercise and lose some of the weight before I weigh in. It's a little like cleaning the house before the cleaning service comes, you know?

I guess I just need some support to get myself to go on Wednesday. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #2  
it's always something

What an awful thing to have to endure They really have no right to make you feel bad. You're human, you slipped and now you are taking the right steps to get back on track. If they don't respect that, then it's their problem. Please don't let it interfere with your intentions. Maybe you could firmly respond something like "I'm here to get back on track, and that's all there is to it" and move on?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM   #3  
Starting fresh!

Quote:
...I'm here to get back on track...
Thanks Suzanne, that's exactly what I need to say. Sometimes when I feel like I'm being judged or belittled, I respond in a not-so-nice way . But that's the perfect thing to say without coming off rude. Thank you
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #4  
focused and aiming

Good advice, Suzanne. Wish I'd thought of that. Here I was thinking of something that would probably come across as rude. What's happened to me? Is it my age? I find that I'm more blunt now that I'm in my 60's. (Or maybe I was really always this way?)
Old 10-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

If you really think you need the support from WW then I'd advise do it now. If you wait another week trying to lose before you rejoin might just not happen then it could be 11 or 12 lb up. When you go can you not tell them you want a fresh start and not to refer back to your previous records.

Kitty
Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #6  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

I love the answers you received thus far. Back on track and fresh start are fabulous responses. But neither of these will solve the "true" reason you felt the need to leave in the first place. If you don't share that, then your setting yourself up for more of the same.

Based on your words that your sure it's out of concern, I am willing to bet this receptionist has no idea on how she made you feel. Quite possibly causing these very same feeling in other members as well. How sad is that. Think about it, she chose to help at the meetings because she had a genuine desire Help, to support her local that she cared about, and the people that come week after week. And can you imagine all the varying personality types she encounters.. WoW. From the desperate last chancer's, the socialites whom use the weekly as a get together gossip spot, those that are serious who believe the program works and Works it.

I bet she is one of the first to rejoice if any lose weight as well. Probably just as happy passing out the 5 pound markers, 10% goals reached and so on. Gift her in return with enlightenment. Come early, stay a little later, find a time when she is alone and let her know, it can be done very nicely. If it were me, I would say.

"It's true I am here for a fresh start, perhaps we could start fresh too. I know your words stem from concern and a genuine care if I had a bad week or weigh in, and I thank you for that. But please, allow me to initiate the why's or what for's. I love the support and accountability these meetings offer but I'm a shy or more private person ( whatever your comfortable sharing here. ) , so please If you don't mind a smile of encouragement on my off weeks would go so much further for me. Thank you for your support/understanding in this matter. "

Feelings aren't bad, bottling them is.

Last edited by sweetnsassyfied; 10-01-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #7  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Our leader at work is a little brash at times, it's just her way. She means well, but she jumps right on you if you're up or not being active or whatever. Not in a mean way, but just direct and in front of the group. At first I hated it, it made me cringe. Now, I've kind of gotten used to it, in a way it's good that she makes you actually look at what you're doing realistically, not fooling yourself. She's as hard on herself as she is on us. The times when she's struggling she talks about it straight up, she doesn't pretend that she's got it licked either, she shares her strategies for maintaining, and reigning herself in when she gets out of hand.

I guess if I look at it like tough love it doesn't seem as bad, but is still annoying.

It's funny, we're worried about hurting their feelings but letting ours be hurt. If you feel you need to speak to her the time to do it is sooner rather than later. I feel like too much time has passed to tell ours that her harshness bothers us.

Last edited by kelijpa; 10-01-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #8  
Starting fresh!

I, too, feel like too much time has passed. I've been going to this particular WW for over a year, and this receptionist can be extremely supportive. When I was going through a rough patch about six months ago, she gave me her home and cell number and told me to call her anytime. She's not a leader, but one of three receptionists who weigh us in. It's just my luck that I get her each time!

Thanks for all your help, I am definitely going to go Wednesday because I think it's the only way to get my @$$ in gear
Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #9  
Starting fresh!

I went today, and found out that I had gained 5 lbs (I'm happy because that was after six weeks of total sloth, lol). Anyway, had a different person weigh me in and all she said was "you've gained a little" in this cautious way like I was going to burst into tears.

I am so glad I went back and am recommitted!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #10  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

congrats! And way to go with your attitude, that's the way to do it. I'm constantly beating myself and then letting myself off the hook, I always tell everybody else you're doing great because you're here, I need to say that to myself, too.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #11  
Starting fresh!

Thanks Keli!

You know it's so much easier to encourage others and not ourselves, I think the majority of us are guilty of that
Closed Thread