The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - Jillian's Girls Exercise Journal

View Full Version : Jillian's Girls Exercise Journal

ledom
09-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow! I have never been on a thread that ran out of room before.:dancer:

Well, today is a good day for me to start a new thread because today is the first day in about 6 weeks that I exercised. Or ate food I prepared at home. I am kind of in withdrawal and kind of loving it. I am being gentle with myself today, but I am sticking to it however soft the workout might be and however many meals I have. They will be no closer than 2 hrs. apart and they will be nutritionally balanced. I will also not be beating myself up.

Cindy, you are a married lady by now. Thinking about you dear.:hat:

Shygirl, chick, Sirak, everyone. Here's to another 101 pages. :carrot:

chick_in_the_hat
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
It must be me...both of my regular threads got closed...but they were both over 2 years old. :P
This weekend was spring cleaning (yes, I might have procrastinated a bit) and I got a good back day in on Saturday. Today is spin class and front day. This morning was day two of not being in the 170's any more. Or EVER AGAIN. :rollpin:

Here's to new beginnings! :cheers:

BfL_Cat
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi gals - I'm back, just for a drive-by post!

The wedding went well, but my eating is out of control! I'm going to try to keep it a bit more controlled during the cruise (yeah, right!), and then get back on the wagon when we return.

Chick - congrats for hitting the 160's!

And congrats to all of us for having to start a new thread!

Now, let's see if I can attach a photo for you all to see...
Cindy

ledom
10-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Oh what a gorgeous bride you are Cindy!!! You look so beautiful and so happy.
Ya'll make a real handsome couple.

Go Chick!!! New beginnings!!!:high:

ledom
10-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Me again. Hey girls, I really need some support. I am on an all out binge. The worst one in years. I can't seem to stop. It is all tied into that, I am going to start tomorrow and so today I will have a last fling. Except I can't get beyond the fling. It's bad. I am ready to stop. I know it is going to be hard. Things are on the verge of being in good shape. My show is half hung. Opens Tuesday, a lot still to do but I can manage it and best of all the end is in sight. The kitchen is done. I can't quite get to my boxes of the contents of my kitchen but I can start over the weekend. My mom is adjusting beautifully and seems pretty well, I am visiting her every weekend. My daughter and her SO have moved into my Mom's house. They are too close, meaning they can drop in whenever they need something. On one hand it irritates me but mostly I love it. They've still got a lot of growing up to do and now I feel I have two children instead of one. My love life.... well if you could even call it that, is kind of fun right now. Oh, work is making me very crazy, it is unstable and has kept me upset the last couple of days. So, help me get back on track! Please!

BfL_Cat
10-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Ledom - step away from that kitchen! You do not want to further undo anything you´ve accomplished for yourself in the past years.

You can rein this in - you know you can. Buy yourself some SF-FF jello, and wean yourself from that sugar!

Love life?????? Do tell!

I´m in Barcelona right now - we head to the ship tomorrow pm. May not be able to check in once we are onboard. We get back on the 14th.
Cindy

chick_in_the_hat
10-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Cindy - SO Gorgeous!! Enjoy your trip! :cb:

Ledom - i'm prolly the last person who should be giving anti-binge advice.... :mad: But here goes. Get the trigger food out of the house. Pour salt in it if you have to. Then plan at least a couple days worth of healthy meals. It starts now. You can do this!! Get your kitchen together so you have no excuses not to cook. Maybe you can enlist the help of daughter and SO? So exciting your show is almost here already!! :yay:
So :cool: your mom is doing well, too.

As for me....I'm chugging along, today is a rest day. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!! :carrot:

ledom
10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Happy Monday morning. I am happy to report that I have worked out 2 mornings in a row. This morning I thought for a second about not and then rolled out of bed and put my workout clothes on. Yay me :carrot: because girls it is depressing. I tried to find something new to wear to my show over the weekend and it was not fun. I didn't find anything! Well, I found a sweater but I gotta have something to go with it and I found nothing. I love clothes as you all know and I have outgrown most of my clothes. Just barely, but lord help me, I feel so sad about it now. I meant to be feeling good about myself tomorrow. That is the roughest thing, I have hit the number on the scale that tilts back to the old ledom. It isn't a specific number, I just know I don't feel like who I am when I hit it. I feel old and unattractive and lack energy. Enough is enough.

I know I can pull myself out of this hole, I just hate it that I am having to do it again.

sirak
10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Ledom- You can bring it back to where it is supposed to be !Get those black pants and hang them in the pantry where you can see them. Stop going to the cookie/ cracker aisle in the grocery store. The pendulum has swung one way and now it can swing back.Remember how empowered you felt after 30 days of Jillian ? You can do this !The house is back together, your show is just about out there- the next new project is you !

Barcelona ? Um Brandy and Coffee time ! Cindy you are a gorgeous bride !I think you are probably gorgeous in real life too ! He's a handsome guy and I hope you are having a wonderful time !

Hey Chick I am saving you a spot right here---> next to me in the 150's. I'm somewhat stuck and unsure where I am going- but it better not be up !

My NSV today was going to buy a bra at Victoria's Secret and finding that I was now a C cup. I had measured out at 40( down from 44 in May)- but who would have thought the girls had lost an entire cup size too !
I did well two weeks ago and managed 3 workouts in one week. Last week was bad. I had a sore glute for a couple of days, Football consumed an entire day and then suddenly I was getting ready to go away for the weekend.
This week is not any better. I have pretty much mapped out my time and between meetings at the school, football( kills the afternoon) and a visit from DD21's BF thiscoming weekend. I am not seeing a whole lotta free time. I am going to stick to it somehow and get my time in . I have to maintain at least until I can get the diet back on the straight and narrow. When I stopped writing my food all of those nasty snack monsters came out- plus it is just a busy time.
I forgot to update the subscription when the thread changed and nothing was showing up as new post when I checked under user CP. Then I saw that the last person to sign onto the thread was Suzanne ( doh). I am going to stick the link right now before I forget.
and Ledom- find those black pants !

KylieH
10-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey, y'all.

This is my first post here. While I have been doing a Body for Life-ish type of thing for the past six months, I've come unraveled the past two weeks. I've been binging like you wouldn't believe (I won't go into the ugly details, but trust me, it's ugly.).

I need to get my focus back, so over the weekend I stopped by Barnes and Noble and picked up "Making the Cut." I confess that I didn't know who Jillian Michaels was, but the book looked good.

It seems that a couple people have done the full 30 days, but that knees are an issue. I was a bit concerned because of "cross over lunges" and stuff that I know I can't do.

Any other advice before I jump in?

chick_in_the_hat
10-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Welcome KylieH! I haven't actually done the Making the Cut workouts yet - but I did the ones from Winning by Losing a few times. I think pretty much all of us modified the workouts to some extent to suit our specific needs/issues. For me - the biggest take away that I learned from Jillian is building a habit of exercise. I think her advice is amazing, and I learned most of what I know about weight training from her books. My modification was to cut out the cardio during the circuits. I know it's pretty central to her plan, but for me I would rather spend more time in the gym and focus on my form. I get plenty of cardio in outside of my weight training.

sirak - so sweet!! Keep that spot warm, cause I'm comin'. :cb: WTG on a new bra...nie NSV.
BTW - there's nothing wrong with practicing maintenance when the schedule gets too hectic. :cool:

ledom - I'm sure you'll rawk that new sweater. :D And your show is gonna be amazing. :hug: You put so much into it - hard work always shows.

So my big move of the week was to cut out Ice Cream. It was outta control. Friday I polished off a 1/2 gallon in one shot. It actually feels pretty good, I feel like I have a little more control. Today was back day. The workout was good. Tomorrow is a rest. :carrot:

ledom
10-09-2007, 04:18 AM
Morning, 3 new posts! It was a busy posting night.

Kylie, I second what chick says. Modify where you need to. It is a great workout that will give you results. The dreaded binge. I actually thought I had left that behind but when major life stresses hit, that is exactly what I did.

Sirak, good to hear from you. Been missing your posts. You do sound busy. You know the thing I have to avoid is the fast food drive thru. That is where I headed when my kitchen was out of commission. Yesterday I didn't have time to fix my lunch and snack for work but finally made the choice to hit the grocery store for a good protein bar, some cheese sticks and apples and that got me through the day just fine.

Your analogy of the pendulum is perfect. I didn't quite think of a word for what I was feeling but I definitely felt that Sunday I had reached the highest weight, the worst icky feeling of my clothes being too small. That everyday after that I would be on my way to a smaller and happier self. After working out yesterday morning I had that sense of well being that only sweating out toxins in the workout room can give.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone.

Oh, by the way I did finally find the perfect dress last night. Believe it or not, a "little black dress" that is cut pretty nicely. When I saw it on the rack I actually prayed that it would fit. Somehow, miraculously almost, it did. Just in the nick of time too. Show opens today.

sirak
10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Ledom, I am excited about the new show opening and hope all went well. IThis journey has been a hard one-but in the end you ended up learning something about your art.I wish I could come and see it.
I got 30 minutes in yesterday. Today is a meeting at the school for my son's learning issues and my parents are coming down( which makes everything crazy),Lunch is planned tuna salad- but everything goes out of control when you throw in "the some day to be" Ex and my parents.
I want things to calm down. We have three weeks DS13 cannot play football until he gets his American History grade up.DH has some trips coming up so he won't be dropping in as much. Cooler temps mean the grass will hopefully stop growing as much ( meaning less mowing).I want a couple of days to sit and watch everything I have Tivo'd in the last two weeks before the DVR runs out of room.
I do have a couple of tomato plants that are growing crazy and have 30 fruit showing. We had this happen last year and had tomatoes in the window sill until the week before Christmas.
I have to go and get ready for this thing-It is in an hour !

ledom
10-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks Sirak, I wish you could come too. It'll be up thru Oct. 31 if you are passing through let me know.

My opening was fantastic. I was so so pleased with how it all came together. No apologies, I just loved the way the work looked. So many people came and were so complimentary of the work it just made me happy. I heard myself say several times, "It's the happiest day of my life." I think that came from acknowledging the fact that the hard work was finally over, I don't have to worry about it anymore. Plus the fact that so many friends came to see me and the work. Just a very warm fuzzy feeling.

I am ever so slowly unpacking boxes and putting my kitchen back together. I still haven't unearthed the pots and pans but I have managed to get my diet back where it needs to be this week for the first time of any extended period since it all fell apart. I have done some sort of exercise every day as well. I am still working to get back up to speed on my consistency with the really intense workouts but it's coming. Lot's of water weight gone too!

We are at mid-semester now. I am teaching a class this semester that is taking an immense amount of preparation time as I am finally joining the 21st century and making powerpoint presentations instead of showing slides. Very time consuming, but after this first semester it will be easier.

Hope you survived your company Sirak. Company is distracting, isn't it? Hope the meeting for your son went well. Have you posted a recent picture?

Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you about the great breakfast I have been making lately. For years it seems I have been having oatmeal, cottage cheese and blueberries and raspberries for breakfast. Now that summer is gone the berries aren't cheap. They really never have been but at my store they recently took a price hike. Instead I have been cutting up half a nectarine to include. Since I make batches of oatmeal I nuke the nectarine and oatmeal for a couple minutes and then add cc and splenda. It is so good, like peach cobbler kind of.

Chick, how's that spinning class going?

sirak
10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Ledom ! I am so glad that it came off well !I thought from the amount of prep and the intensity that you were working at that this was a very big installation of work. YAY !

I like the idea of the oatmeal with the nectarine. We had just plain oatmeal for breakfast with spenda brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. DS14 has to have something carb o lious for breakfast before morning football practice. When you make batches do you just reheat in the morning? Oatmeal is a two minute deal at my house- but it takes longer to clean up the mess( like when it boiled over in the microwave at 6:15 this morning).Do you store it in single serve ? I am thinking your cc and fruit additions would be good for DS14 also.
I didn't freeze enough blue berries this year, so I am already starting to ration them out ! ACKKK !
Meeting went well for son-they will hold off mainstreaming him into a regular reading class until his grades go up. My parents are always fun to visit with- I just didn't need everything on the same day two days after I came home from Austin.
I did mow yesterday( with my yard and push mower it is exercise). Food wasn't great but I have been so hungry. I can't seem to get the appetite in check. My sleep is messed up again and my RX doesn't want to work anymore. My energy level is down. It's all a big circle of cause and effect.I don't sleep well I eat junk. When I eat junk I feel yucky and have no energy.I don't get anything done and then I don't sleep well.
UGH- so I am changing diet and working out this morning.I just have to get over this hump.
here is a photo of me and Mom at the Dallas Arboretum's pumpkin patch.

chick_in_the_hat
10-11-2007, 05:29 PM
ledom - So cool!! Told ya all that hard work would show!! :D I do pretty much the same with oatmeal - apple works good, too! What's cc? I'm gonna have to try pumpkin pie spice. Spin class is plugging along - yesterday I had a one on one with an instructor. She gave me a lot of good pointers on cueing (letting the class know when a new move is coming up). She wants me to tkae over her class - so she's motivated to train. Works for me :D

Sirak - aren't you a hottie!! I don't deal well with messed up sleep either. Here's to getting over the hump and coming out the other side well rested. :cheers: BTW where is middle of nowhere TX? I work with a lot of people in Plano. I saw Dallas Arboretum and thought :chin:

So - I missed front day yesterday with the one on one...so I'll do it today. :carrot: Eating has been on plan all week...cutting out my beloved ice cream has given me all kindsa control. :cb:

ledom
10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
cc is cottage cheese - my diet staple

I make Irish Oatmeal which is a coarse grind. I am not even sure how many servings, but 4 or 5 when I follow the recipe on the pkg. I just put it in a container in the fridge and take out a serving. If it is a dry batch I might add a little water, but the juiciness of the fruit is really enough. I zap it for 2 min. in the bowl I eat it out of. Put on the splenda & cc after it comes out of the microwave.

Sirak, you look amazing. Really amazing. By the way, I am coming down your way next weekend for a conference in Arlington. I am so happy to be getting away a couple of days.

Chick, would you ever have imagined that you would be teaching spin classes a couple of years ago? What an accomplishment you have made. Many accomplishments.

Good exercise day. I did a modified back day and when I got home from work I got up on the Mtn. for some hiking. I am off tomorrow and am considering getting out on the water for a short trip. I bought a new kayak before the damn burst and still haven't got to try it out. I think it's time!

sirak
10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
I grew up with Plano being down the road in Richardson. My old neighborhood was within four miles of Northern Telecom and some of the MCI offices.Erickson was not far down the road.Some of my dearest friends in my camping group had husbands that worked for EDS way back when Perot was in charge. There is one of those guys still left at Legacy. Plano went from a sleepy little town that had one big high school to this huge busy place. I go up there every once in a while- but have to be careful not to get lost.
I live about 50 miles from Plano in a semi rural area.There is a hundred acres of farmland across the street. At the end of my street there is one of the larger ranches in Kaufman County owned by Hunt Oil. One of the neighbors lands his little plane in his pasture. We have a Dairy Queen and a Sonic in Town. All the kids in the neighborhood ride the same bus.
I can see the lights of the Dallas skyline on a clear night from the middle of the field across the street.
I shampooed my carpets yesterday . If there was an Olympic event for wrestling Ikea slip covers off of furniture I would be at least a bronze medalist. I washed slipcovers and everyone's bedding. I know Jillian does not feature those things as exercise- but I got my workout in yesterday.
DD21's BF will be in this weekend and I am not sure about what I am cooking.I need to get my head together on that one and head for the store.

chick_in_the_hat
10-12-2007, 03:11 PM
I never thought of cottage cheese with oatmeal...I'll have to try it. I do often add protein powder...and then extra water and fruit so it isn't cement-like. Ya know - before the lifestyle change I was NEVER into exercise or an active lifestyle. So....no...the idea of wanting to teach spin would have had me like this :rofl: It is kinda amazing the difference adding a few new habits can make. It does keep me from worrying too much about ever going back to who I was. I still struggle...but I just can't see ever sliding back all the way to 264 ever again.

sirak - I work for EDS....I've only been to Plano once on the way to vacation in Mexico. DH and I considered moving there...but the crazy weather made me think twice. I do like the housing prices compared to CA tho. As far as housework as a workout goes - Jillian might not feature it...but it counts. Are the instructions for the slip covers in Swedish? :lol3: Or they just fit really well? :D
I got front day in yesterday, back day today as there is a scooter rally this weekend. Dunno if I will get much workout time in. :cb: Have a great weekend chickies!!

ledom
10-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Oh Chick - you are going to love what cc does to oatmeal. At least I do. I used to add protein powder as well, but at some point decided that would be a way to cut a few calories.

Enjoy your company Sirak. I am unpacking kitchen boxes today. Found the pots and pans!

chick_in_the_hat
10-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Hmmm. Maybe it's the protein poowder you are using...I use the unsweetened kind, just plain whey protein. It's like 50 calories a scoop and has 12 g protein. I will try cc tho. And can you tell I can't focus on work today? :o

ledom
10-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh no Chick you don't understand. Low cal chocolate protein powder AND lf cottage cheese AND some fruit. It is great and really not many calories. But when I am really trying to cut back I find I can leave off the protein powder and still love the breakfast.

sirak
10-13-2007, 12:51 AM
The slipcovers are stubborn and don't always want to come off or go back on- very much like the Swedish American DH that is on the way out.:dizzy:
I feel like yuk DD21 came home with a recipe from the bank. You make a cake and then crumble it up. You mix 1/2 a can of ready to spread frosting with the cake crumbs. Then you make that mixture into balls.
You dip the balls into Almond Bark and decorate with white almond bark.
I had one.
I think I would call it redneck truffles. The site might kick me off if I offered any other names for this stuff.
Then I went into my stash and opened a package of really good sweet baking chocolate to remember what it was supposed to taste like. I told DD21 we could work on it( like chunk the funk and start over). It wasn't her fault- it was the combination of stuff.

chick_in_the_hat
10-13-2007, 11:40 AM
ledom - ahh got it now. In fact gonna go make some this morning. :D

sirak - redneck truffles....:lol3: Maybe it's too early in the morning but that combination just sounds nasty.

sirak
10-13-2007, 12:16 PM
It is nasty.DD21 woke up with a sugar hangover. She looks all bloated and has this horrible headache. I think she will take them to her bank job where the recipe came from and let them figure it out.
But the oatmeal and fruit...ahhhh
I use quick oats- only because we eat bunches of them in baked stuff. I added two chopped apples ( peel and all) to a two serving batch. I put some two heaping tablespoons of brown sugar splenda and some pie spice.I zapped it in the microwave and divided it into three servings. I ate one with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese . Oh wow ! The apples were not completely soft so they had some texture. The cottage cheese made it creamy. Just the basic apples and oatmeal will make a great snack for ever growing teenage son ! I can keep it made up so all he has to do is heat it up and add a bit of water. This one is a real keeper !

ledom
10-14-2007, 12:00 AM
I cooked today. I even had dinner guests. I love my new kitchen - it flows. It's so pretty. I grilled a pork tenderloin after marinating it in rosemary, mustard, and garlic. I pan roasted two heads of cauliflower with garlic and sage. I made chicken casserole to take to a family reunion tomorrow. And I made huge breakfast burritos for supper tonight for two of my friends. I have missed cooking so much.

I have also exercised almost every day this week. I have gone on two good hikes and it is so nice out right now.

If only my house were put back together. I worked on it all day yesterday and just made a dent. I haven't even touched the multitude of work related stuff that is already overdue. I don't think my life will ever get back to normal! Sorry for the pity party.

Things are good and lots of new things on the horizon I think.

BfL_Cat
10-14-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey gals, I'm back!

Glad to see you talking about recipes and cooking - I really need to get myself back on track with that. It's literally been months since I've made myself my steel-cut oats and/or cooked more than one meal in a week. And now, after the cruise food, I really need to get myself back on track. I don't even want to see what the scale says!

The good news about our honeymoon is that it was very busy and entailed a lot of walking. That is a good thing as I'm somewhat back in condition in terms of some endurance for physical activity.

Also, because of jet-lag I've been up since 5am this morning - perhaps I can use that to my advantage and keep this schedule. I really need to get up by 5:30 in order to get my workout schedule back on track!

Today will be about laundry, organizing, unpacking, grocery shopping and food planning, in no particular order. I loved the time away, but it's good to be home!
Cindy

ledom
10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey Cindy - Glad you're back. I know what you mean about it being good to be home.

I had one bad food day but not so bad as earlier and yesterday I was back on track. I am having a hard time getting workouts in. Simply do not have time - and you know when you don't have time to workout for yourself for an hour a day then something is wrong in your life.

I feel there is a lot wrong in my life right now. Last night I was just in tears from exhaustion. And I don't know what to do about it. If I take a day to try to put my house back together, and it is still in great disarray, then my teaching suffers. I just have gotten so far behind with all life's traumas that I can't get it back together. I know you guys have heard this way too much already, but you know what. NO ONE wants to hear it. I feel really alone right now.

But, I will plug away as best as I can. My body looks like jelly right now. Kind of like before a fat flush but I am pretty sure that is not what is going on. I think it is lack of weights going on two months. Bleahhhh.

So, I'll take my gloomy self upstairs and take a shower.

Hoping for some brighter days soon!

sirak
10-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Ledom- my heart goes out to you. You don't see the amazing woman in the mirror-just a bunch of jelly ? Everything you have had was toppled over- your family and your house has done fruit basket turnover, you have dealt with some major care giver issues for your Mom, you have had a show( despite the flood) and you are still mentoring and inspiring students.
You have been through like a year's worth of stuff in the past two months. It has been a condensed compacted bunch of stress streaming from some unknown Pandora's Box.
You are allowed to cry.No matter how "woman of steel" tough you are- you, given the circumstances are allowed to let go because it has been so hard.
You aren't alone honey- I just broke into tears driving to the park yesterday.It is just so tough when you feel like your teeth have been kicked in, despite all that you have tried to do.
So let's think about 30 minutes of doing something fun-like walking around your yard and looking at the leaves. I know the chaos of the boxes and misplaced items in your house grates upon your sense of order- so just do one box in the morning and one box in the evening ?This will be a dance of babysteps . You have to balance things so that you can get a little done with the house, think about the teaching end and then take a Ledom break.
None of this stuff happened to us over night and it will take a while to get things back in order. The trick is to hang on hard to the diet so when you can make a 30 minute stress reducing hike or "roll around" the basement on the ball it will count.
Take off the superwoman cape look at the stress you have taken on ! You can get this back together- it will take time. Make a list and start marking things off. This stuff is not easy- I have my own list of stuff I have to do to get started on my new life.
Cindy- we all have been on some sort of break,except for Gina. This month might be the month that I will post no weight loss. The time will change at the end of the month and I am trying to figure out what that will do to the kid's sleep/ school schedules.Your 5:30 is a blessing !
Is it Friday yet because I really want to start this week over !

ledom
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for your kind and wise words Sirak. I like your idea about 1 box in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. I can do that.

Another good eating day and a walk so not all is lost on the health front.

Sirak, I know what you and so many others are dealing with is infinitely more challenging. You hang in there. Without knowing the extent of your situation it sounds like just the unsettledness of everything would be wearing.

I do have a treat coming up tomorrow. I am driving down to Arlington with one of MY old professors for a conference. I think the trip out of town is just what I need. I will try not to think about how even more behind I'll be when I get back.

ledom
10-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Just a quick post to say that my conference was the perfect thing for me. It really helped my perspective on things to get out of town for 3 days. Back at it now.

I have grilled pork loin in my fridge and I wondering about adding some green chilies and onions and carrots and making some kind of healthy stew for this week. Could be good.

sirak
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Three days of work out in a row so far with reasonable food choices. Last bight wasn't the best upper body set I have done- but it's better than nothing. I can take my ball and weights and work out in the hallway while DD3 is in the tub.
Again it is better than nothing !

chick_in_the_hat
10-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey chickies -
Had a bit of family drama myself this last week. My sister had 3 brain aneurisms and needed surgery to clamp them off. She's been in ICU in Los Angeles since the 16th. I made it down there last weekend and was able to spend some time with her. I'll prolly head back down next week again. When I got back up here I took care of my mom for a few days to give my dad a chance to go down. Bedpan duty...not fun. :( Mom's a trooper tho - she put up with me. :) Yesterday was a little bit more back to normal - I made it to the gym. Today I rode my bike to work...it feels good to burn off some aggression.
The good news is that with all the stress and traveling I managed to lose a pound. :cb:

ledom and sirak - sounds like y'all are on track. Welcome back, Cindy!! Missed you guys. :hug:

ledom
10-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Gina - sorry to hear about your families health problems. It can wear you down for sure.

Sirak, I got the ball back in operation just today. I am still taking baby steps but am starting to feel better about getting myself back into the swing.

BfL_Cat
10-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi girls! Things are slow to be getting back to normal here. Work is super busy and home is still a big mess of wedding prep stuff and gifts. Tough problem to have, I know! :-)

I really hope I can use this weekend to put some order back into my life, and to get myself inspired to start cooking again. I really want to get some new recipes to try. I got a Moroccan tagine as one of wedding gifts, and I'm dying to try it.

I'm also hoping to maybe start doing something active this weekend - taking a walk or two at the very least.

Gina - sorry to hear about your sister - I hope she's doing ok. And good for you for taking care of Mom - I know that can be tough!

Sirak and Ledom - glad to hear you gals are hanging in there despite life's ups and downs. Guess we're all just hanging in there for now.

Hope you gals have good plans for the weekend!
Cindy

ledom
10-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Absolutely. It all starts in the kitchen.

I have done some good cooking and have plans for more this weekend.

I am having enormous issues getting myself back under control. I think I might finally have figured it out though. Remembering to be gentle with myself because this is hard. I am eating by the clock, up to 6 BFL type nutritional meals. It tends to regulate my body and give me health and strength quicker than anything. When I can do that I can think about cutting down some more. I could not get through a whole Jillian workout day before yesterday but I did about half of one. Yesterday I hiked 3.5 miles. Today I have walked a mile but promise myself to do weights before the day is over.

ledom
10-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey Ya'll just checking in to see if you are still out there. Happy Halloween.

So what's up with everyone? I am celebrating my one year anniversary of kind of letting my diet go with a lot of thought and consideration. I think a one year anniversary might be a good time to make a turn around.

I am noticing that being extremely busy and not getting enough rest is adversely affecting things. I have a busy week planned but maybe not quite as many late nights for the coming weekend and next week.

I am basically still living in my kitchen and my bedroom. Putting my house back together just has to wait until the holidays. I hate it, but a lot of the things I am accomplishing now will make my life so much easier in the not so distant future so I guess the upheaval will be worth it in the end.

I know you guys are topsy turvy now too. I'd love to hear what's up with you.

sirak
11-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Happy Halloween !
In our little town ( which is not where I live because I live between two towns) the street with all the antebellum homes is the place to trick or treat. The homeowners have sponsors for the candy. The roads are blocked off. It is like Mardi Gras for the Christian Conservatives, complete with a huge Jonah the whale in one of the yards.There was a live band and probably half the county hanging out.
I am glad we are past one of the holidays. The closer to Christmas it gets I think things will get worse as the expected social occasions become questionable. This is the first year in many years I will not camp over Thanksgiving. But I will be looking at tents for me and the kids for Christmas.
Yes, Topsy turvey is a good term and quite polite compared to some of the other words I have had for the situation.
I have had one day of lifting and one day of cardio this week, which is good. My food is messed up- but I have been trying to start back on fitday so I am more aware of the carb vs protein ratio ( who would have thought Salmon were such fat fishes?).
It's a matter of reining in and getting my calories to really count- rather than getting out of control with peanut butter or taking a rather large serving of low fat brownies.
My other little group seemed to falter this month except for one woman who is in the groove- walking 4 miles a day. But she has over a 100 pounds to go and I can tell you how easy it is to drop weight when you have a bunch of it to lose.
So November goal is 5 pounds- but also consistent lifting. I get blood work back soon also- so I might have to add something in there- we shall see. I eat oatmeal and apples every morning ( thanks everyone) so I know atleast one part will be ok.
I am rambling because I am tired.Tomorrow is another day.

BfL_Cat
11-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey gals, I’ve not been writing much as it’s been rough going here lately – at least in terms of food. DH and I seem to be in a bad cycle that we can’t break – and even if I manage to get in a healthy breakfast and lunch, it is all undone in the evening. Having Halloween candy in the house this week didn’t help – each night I went to bed with a horrible sugar headache, which then made for a sluggish nasty morning.

This cycle is, of course, not conducive to getting up early to head to the gym, so needless to say, I have not been. And, the thought of the DST change looming ahead of us this weekend just makes me want to bury my head under the covers all the more!

The house is still a disaster – presents and wedding stuff all over the place, with nowhere to put any of it. I really need to reorganize my whole house to figure out where all of this is going to go! And then there’s the furniture from Pete’s parent’s house – where on earth will that go – my, I mean our, house is full!

So, this is all making me feel like a bit of a slug these days. My work clothes are tight, and needing to be replaced, but I refuse to go up a size, and wish I would be going down a size.

On a more positive note, I went to a women’s wellness seminar at lunch today – it got me thinking a bit more about all of this, and maybe it will cause me to take some action!

This weekend is going to be hectic for me as next weekend we are headed to St. Louis to pick up a car. Long story, but my brother works there, and he got me a great deal, but the catch is that I have to go there and drive it back! Lovely 18-hour trip – but at least we’ll break it up by stopping in MI on the way back. Just typical for me in terms of how things never seem to be straightforward and easy!

I’m happy about a lot of parts of my life right now, but definitely not my fitness/wellness. I just don’t know what’s going to motivate me to do something about it!
Cindy

ledom
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
:grouphug:Boy do we ever need each other now. It's gotta get better. The thing for me is that there can be no holiday blowout. I have already had my major eating snafu. Food is getting a little better at my house. Not so with the weights, just so little one mile walks in the evening. The last time I did a workout it was the one when you do 50 squats. My legs still aren't right, and not in a good way. My joints hurt. I have to figure out what I should be doing now. Something, I need to break into it more gentle though. I think I would feel so good if I got going with some simple yoga.

Sirak, a new tent of your own will be very inspiring for you I bet. I remember when I bought my first one, I felt so independent.

Cindy, I figured getting settled into marriage would be a little unsettling. But, enjoy your honeymoon. You'll figure out what to do with all that stuff.

ledom
11-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Had to report back. I just finished working out. All the way through Week 1/WBL. I did 2 sets instead of three. It was perfect for where I am now. So 1 for me!

BfL_Cat
11-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Good for you! Now that I've realized that this time change will work in my favor, not against me, I'm going to try to get myself into the gym this week!
Cindy

ledom
11-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Hey good realization, huh? Have been doing everything I can think of to prime the motivation well. It has been pretty dry! Got out Make the Cut and read all the "gray" paragraphs on motivation yesterday. Cleaned the yoga room so no excuse there. If only I could figure out how to double the hours in a day and I'd be sitting pretty.

chick_in_the_hat
11-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey chickies -

I'm at work so I don't have much time. The update on my sis is that she is out of ICU, in a rehab hospital getting 3 hours of therapy a day to try to bring back function of her left side. It's gonna be a long haul, I think...the hope is to get her home for Thanksgiving. I'll catch up and post again later.

Oh - side note, I saw a chick at the gym yesterday doing mountain climbers...as I wandered by her she had a copy of Winning By Losing. :cool: I told her to keep up the good work, I wanted to talk to her more but I didn't wanna hijack her workout.

sirak
11-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I did better today than I have in a while ( especially since I threw the brownies in the freezer). I did wraps for lunch and baked fish for dinner.
I nailed the fish. DH was here to see the kids and I nailed the fish. Yeah buddy !
The I went out and did 3/4 of a mile. I would have done a mile except Bob the Dog can't anymore. He is out of shape and there is no going back for him.So we walked and hit a couple of his favorite pee spots.
My son has swiped my 15 pounders and taken them to his room. This is a bad sign. He is supposed to be my partner in crime when it comes to doing this stuff.
Maybe if I buy him some Twenties he will leave my little girl weights alone.
hehehe
Here is a new pic from this weekend- still size eight- nothing changing due to fluctuations in diet and exercise.

ledom
11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Gina- Glad to hear your sister is on the upswing. Did she have a stroke? I can't remember if you said.

That is way cool about the girl at the gym. Maybe there'll be a good opportunity to talk at some point.

Go Sirak. You look amazing.

sirak
11-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks Ledom-There are days I feel amazing.

Today was a good day. I did a walk/jog with Bob of about a mile and 25 minutes of ball work while DD3 was in the tub. Calories were low as I have been busy.
I hope it can stay down tommorrow too !

sirak
11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Food was ok today. I baked breakfast cookies, LF pumpkin muffins and blue berry oatmeal muffins.
I am out of applesauce lol.
It's hard because you end up eating one of each of those.
On the other hand I have had 45 minute workout which included the normal run and ubwo plus some squats.
I think I might have to turned around.
I am going to see a friend tomorrow (hence the marathon of baking). I am taking leftover grilled chicken for our lunch, hopefully I can pick up a bag of lettuce on the way.
She has fibromyalga and needs help unpacking after a move. I don't plan to workout after that.
Hope everyone has a great Friday !

ledom
11-09-2007, 12:00 AM
That sounds great Sirak. I did some quality cooking today too. I broke out the BFL cookbook at 1 this morning when I woke up and couldn't sleep. I accomplished a lot. I made turkey meatballs, turkey meat loaf, and an old favorite strawberry cheesecake. It made the day of food go so much better. Didn't exercise, but I am working toward that. I know that when time stops being such an issue that will get better. Not that I intend to wait until this ungodly semester is over to get going but, the good news is that this semester will be over eventually. Only a little over a month.

Had a nasty moment of truth trying on clothes yesterday. It shocked me into getting on the scale this morning (I know it's bad when I start avoiding the scale for long periods of time.) The news wasn't good, but the good news is I feel a little bit of the old fighting spirit awakening.

Don't work too hard tomorrow Sirak.

I am camping Sat. night and kayaking over the weekend. It'll be a quick trip but I am excited none the less. It has been way too long.

ledom
11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Just checking in. I have to workout in a second. Yeah, you heard me right. Workout. I did it yesterday too. I still have healthy food cooked up and that is making things easier. The last couple nights I did a relaxation yoga tape. That has been good. The lack of exercise, I believe, had started to affect my personality. I finally had to realize I have to put something back in - not good for my health, nor my human relationships! I need the endorphins and the release of whatever it is I keep pent up inside.

chick_in_the_hat
11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Hey -

:yay: ledom!!

sirak - I got the baking bug, too! A mild case next to you two...Pumpkin pie, with splenda and egg beaters. Good stuff!! If I would have known DH wasn't going to eat it I would have skipped the crust, too. :(

I've had a good week for workouts - ya know when you just feel so good coming out of your workout? :cb: I've been in binge or bust mode eating wise though...I need to figure out how to control that.

Did anyone listen to Jillian's show from 11.11? She had a couple callers that really hit home for me. One who just has a little ways to go and Jillian's advice was to keep the calories around 1500 but make them super clean. Then add more intensity to the workouts. I've got the workout peice already. It's the danged food. I swear I get sick of hearing myself say it...but there ya go. :D

The news on my sister is that she had brain surgery a ways back, it took away function of her left side much like a stroke would. She is in rehab getting 3 hours of therapy a day...but it's a slow chug. She's a trooper - but it's so frustrating.

ledom
11-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey Guys - Holiday week. How are ya'll holding up?

Same old same old here. The weekend wasn't that terrific. I slept most of Saturday, it was just one of those days when you finally give in to it. Yesterday was spent getting my lecture ready for Tuesday night. Two more after this one and I can put this soul draining chore aside. Thank goodness because it has about done me in. (I think I mentioned these weekly massive power point slide shows I took on this semester.) I am just really looking forward to Christmas break and some relief from work stress.

Thanksgiving is at my house and I won't get to start cleaning or cooking until Wed. But thankfully I do have that day off. It won't be much of a break for me this year in terms of relaxation or fun, but I guess I will at least be thankful for the 3 days off so I have time to get the work done. I don't know. No matter how I try to simplify, believe my I do, it's still a lot of work.

Anyway, the only positive thing I have to say on the diet front is that I am refusing all Christmas goodies. Yes, they are already coming my way, no candy or nuts or cheese balls or any of the other high calorie treats that start appearing this time of year. I just can't afford to go down that path this year. I am having enough trouble with regular food.

I did work out 4 days last week and that was good. I am weak folks, the stamina for an hour long, pedal to the metal workout seems impossible. But I was able to do 45 minutes steady work and you know, I'll just have to build on that. The yoga tape has helped improve my mental attitude though. Just 30 minutes of stilling my brain has the effect of making me a little less high strung so I am trying to do it daily.

One of these days I am going to get on here and actually be my old self again. I am so looking forward to a real break.

BfL_Cat
11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Hi gals - I've been having computer problems at home, and I'm swamped at work, so I've been AWOL lately. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by my "to do" list both personally and professionally, and it shows in my eating. I've been forcing myself to wear my too tight rings as a reminder to try to keep my eating under control. I just can't get used to wearing two rings on one finger, and tight on top of that is really annoying! (My hands get puffy when I gain weight!)

Hoping to have a moderate Thanksgiving - I'm not cooking, but that means I'll not have leftovers, which is a good thing!

Hey Ledom - maybe I should try some yoga as well.... When Pete sits down to watch sports, I should head upstairs and try some to help me relax as well. I've not been sleeping well lately - the stress, lack of exercise, extra weight - it's all contributing I think.

Well, need to get back to work - you gals have a great holiday if I don't talk to you before then.
Cindy

chick_in_the_hat
11-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Hope everyone had a Happy Turkey Day!! It was pretty quiet over here...went for a bike ride with DH yesterday. It was going along swimmingly until my pedal started falling off.. :p Gotta go to the bike shop and get it fixed today. The weather is clear and chilly - perfect riding weather! :D

Don't ask me how my eating is going....there was a run in with a pie yesterday that I would rather forget. :o Let's just say today is a new day. :carrot:

Aiming for a quiet weekend, some kicking back, some house cleaning and some working out. NO SHOPPING!!!! I HATE crowded malls. :mad: I'm in denial about Xmas...I'll panic in a couple weeks. :D

ledom
11-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Morning everyone - good to hear from you Cindy and Gina.

This thanksgiving has been nice. I worked my butt off Wed. and Thurs. and have been napping and relaxing ever since. I needed it. It has done amazing things for my frame of mind to get some down time. I hope you all have had a chance at that too.

Cindy - I know what you mean about forcing yourself to wear your rings to remind you. I have been on a clothes shopping moratorium - it doesn't help matters that all last year when I was going clothes shopping mad I often bought things to shrink into. I have a ton of clothes with not much fitting these days. Argghhhh - I have had to buy a very few things to get by, but only cheap, on sale stuff. Hope springs eternal that I'll get it together.

And actually that is why I wanted to post. I have noticed that lately I am not going out and doing the things I normally would because I am starting to feel self conscious about how I look. That may be the wake up call, because I like being around people and being able to forget my physical appearance and just enjoy the moment. I was feeling that before and I want it back. That center, I am who I am with no apologies that I was feeling.

So, I know what I have to do and I think I might be ready.

I have just spent some time packing up all the clothes that don't fit. For one thing I want to make it easier to find the clothes that I am wearing now, but also, it will be so much fun to unpack those boxes this spring when I can actually wear all those beautiful things.

ledom
11-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Let me tell you this recipe. It is the best thing you could possibly imagine to eat on a cold day. 4 Fuji Apples, 1 Bosc Pear, peeled, cored, quartered. Simmer about 30 min. or until soft in 1/2 cup water with lid on. Mash with a potato masher and sprinkle in cinnamon. It is a good side dish, good mixed with cottage cheese, good on oatmeal, oh man, it is my new favorite thing.

ledom
11-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Me again....It's wonderful what a long weekend of rest and naps did for me. I feel revitalized. Rest...I believe it's true that you can't lose weight without that element playing an important role. I feel as though I can go on. I feel as though I can EXERCISE. Early in the semester I racked up a pretty big deficit on rest and I hope I never get in quite that shape again. Power Point presentation for Tues. is under control and there is only one more after this one! I know how my students must feel.

So I just had my breakfast. A scoop of my homemade applesauce, a scoop of oatmeal and a scoop of low fat cottage cheese. It tasted rich and warm and wonderful.

Sirak - hope you can check in soon. Hope your holidays went well and that you weathered the change in tradition. Cindy, yes, try some yoga. It has helped me with my mental take on things as much as anything. Speaking of yoga, yesterday I pulled out my "hard" yoga tape (actually just harder that the stress relief tape). This morning I feel like I did a full body weight strength training day. I ordered a new DVD by this same instructor Ana Forrest. I am going to try to do more yoga on a permanent basis. I turned to it about a month ago to still my mind more than anything - it helped! Gina, did you get your bike pedal fixed?

Well, it's count down time for Christmas. I think it might be fun this year. DDs boyfriends family may be with us this year. Speaking of DDs boyfriend. I really like him so much, just a really sweet boy. Now that they live closer I have had a chance to get to know him better. I have really enjoyed cooking for them. Last night I was just thinking how much I enjoy cooking and how it is integral to who I am. Resolving that with trying to lose weight doesn't have to be so hard if I cook the right things. I am once again trying to revamp attitudes toward food and exercise to make it work for me and who I am and what I enjoy.

I did notice one thing last night. Here lately my decision to not go down the holiday goodies path has been easy. I went to a friends for dinner. I had a lovely plate of food, roast beef and vegetables that was just soul satisfying. There were these jelly roll type pumpkin and cream desserts. You know I just took a long look at those and while they looked good in one way, in another I could just tell that the nourishing satisfied feeling I had from my meal would take a different turn and feel if I started on the sweets. It really was easy to turn away last night. Just want to hang on to that awareness as the season progresses. If I am going to splurge I want it to be quality, homemade, special food. Nothing from a deli or a grocery store or a drive through.

sirak
11-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I just ate some apple sauce and cottage cheese in your honor Ledom. I have had several days of sane eating and working out. My inlaws are here for the week(Yes- inlaws... the ones that belong to sheep dip brained spouse who has been living with his GF for 6 months). It is easier to be a bit more structured with them here for some reason. We have been out twice to eat and one time I ate about 1/3 of the food.The other time I had a huge salad plate.
I am still doing a bit of weights during bath time. I can lift on my exercise ball while DD3 is in the tub. She likes my big tub so it works out well.
DD21 is moving out in two weeks so things will change again. My explorer is having transmission issues so I am not sure how things will evolve next.

BfL_Cat
11-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey gals - I'm here making baby steps. Today is my 3rd day of decent eating, so I'm pretty happy about that - as minor as it seems, it's an accomplishment for me at this point. At least my rings are feeling a little more comfortable!

I've come to realize that my new job does not allow me the luxury of having oatmeal with an apple for breakfast anymore - 9 days out of 10 I end up not eating anything before lunch, which is just a recipe for disaster. I'm just too busy and/or get interrupted for me to work that breakfast into my day.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions from you gals - some sort of breakfast bar or muffin that I could make on the weekends - this would work into my mornings better - something that I can just grab and take to a meeting with me, or eat during a conference call... I did Zone bars and OJ for breakfast for years, but I'm trying to avoid all that sugar. Although, maybe they would be a good start...

Sorry for rambling - I'm just so out of practice with this stuff lately that I'm struggling with working out some of the details for myself.

I'll have to try that apple sauce/cc combo - when I get myself back on the cc track, that is. Maybe that would be good for my afternoon snack - I seem to have more time in the afternoons to fit in a snack.

Ledom - interesting what you said about avoiding being out in public - I've been feeling the same way lately. I just bought a new truck, and it's a bit flashy - it's an orange Land Rover (LR2, their baby SUV). I love it, but I feel like it's too flashy for the current me - I feel like an out-of-shape middle aged woman in my MLC vehicle! And I know that 30# or so lighter I would feel much better about owning it - definitely less self-conscious than I do now.
Cindy

ledom
11-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Sirak and Cindy so good to hear from you.

Hey Cindy, I think I want to join you for your onderland for the New Year Challenge.

Sirak, I am sure your children's grandparents were where they needed to be for Thanksgiving and I hope they are giving you help and support now. Glad they help stabilize the diet, this is something for sure. And good job on finding a time to get on that ball.

Congrats on the spiffy new ride Cindy. Maybe we need a picture? I am betting you look sharp in that car, but how we feel about ourselves makes such a difference. Like you say, after only 3 days of eating right you are feeling better. After 2 weeks imagine how you are going to be feeling!

I have had a good week too. And yes I am feeling better. I have a new skirt that is only slightly tight, it is hanging on the closet door and I have been trying it on everyday. I am already seeing a difference so we just need to find that one thing that we can hold onto to keep us going until we are feeling gung-ho strong.

Cindy, here are 2 muffin recipes from the good old BFL days.

Keith Klein's Chocolate Muffins

12 egg whites
1 1/4 uncooked quick cooking oats
9 T. low sugar red rspberry jam
dash of vanilla extract
1 1/2 T. cocoa powder
4 T. Nestle no sugar added chocolate milk mix powder
splenda to taste

Preaheat oven to 350. Blend ingredients in a blender and pour into muffin tins that ve been sprayed with Pam. Bake for 20 minutes.

Banana Nut Muffins

1 cup dry old-fashioned oatmeal, (you can grind this in blender to make flour but I just leave them whole because I like the texture and leaving out that step saves a little time too.)
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 T cinnamon
dash nutmeg
-
2 med ripe bananas
1 egg
4 egg whites
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup splenda
1/4 c chopped walnuts

Mix dry ingredients and wet sperately. Add wet to dry ingredients, mix, spoon into muffin tin sprayed with Pam.

Bake 350 for 20 min...or less, Serving is 2 muffins. If you can have PB in the house (I can't) a swipe of that on top is definitely yummy.

chick_in_the_hat
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
:T ledom I printed your muffin recipes...gonna have to try both of them.
:chin: quickie breakfast ideas...pb&j sammich? Real peanut butter, low sugar jam and WW low carb bread = 200 cals? I like to toast by putting it (in a bag) next to my CPU fan...but I'm a nerd. :twirly: Apple and string cheese is pretty easy...I used to be into Zone bars...I found some peanut butter & choclate chip chewy granola bars (a generic brand that I've found at Safeway and Food Source)that have like 110 cals and like 6 g of protein...they have HFCS which I'm not a big fan of...but they are better than nothing. Plain yogurt with SF jam is another staple.

Acck work is calling I'll post for reals later. :D

ledom
12-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Skwigg's July 24, 2007 entry gives a free four week turbulence training workout. I am going to try it. It uses body weight exercises and is relatively quick. I think it looks really good and a lot like Jillian's workouts without the gym. You guys might want to check it out.

chick_in_the_hat
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
:cool: I'll cheat and post the link (http://skwigg.tripod.com/TurbulenceTraining4WeekBWW.pdf) to the TT pdf file.
It's a beautiful crispy Saturday morning over here...I'm debating going to a class or for a ride outside. I'm thinking an outside ride will win today. :D I was gonna do an "intro to Yoga" class but I got up too late. I've been meaning to try yoga for the longest time. I want more flexibility and balance...:yoga: Next week...I'm on it.

ledom - I'm gonna have to follow in your footsteps on not starting on the sweets thing. Cause once I start...:eek:
sirak - Hopefully your Explorer woes were an easy/cheap fix? WTG figuring out how to get a workout into your schedule with the little ones. :bravo:
Cindy - isn't it funny how a different vehicle can make you self conscious? I drove someones Porsche once and it felt so wierd. But I bet you are thinking about it way more than others around you. Enjoy your new ride! :)

BfL_Cat
12-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Gina, thanks for the link!

We woke up to snow on the ground today - just about an inch, but it did stay around. Our first of this season. Tomorrow is supposed to be a mess of rain, sleet and snow - not fun.

Speaking of Explorers, I had mine towed to the garage today - found out that the gas line had corroded through! The guy told me I was lucky that is wouldn't start! I need to get it fixed up just enough to try to sell it. I've had it 13 years (!), and I'm hoping someone would want it as a plow vehicle. I'm also trying to sell my Sable -yes, I have 3 vehicles right now! Our driveway looks like a used car lot - I won't even mention how many Pete has! Wish my luck in selling my two - it would be a real relief to have them gone.

I'll share something with you that I'm a bit embarrassed about right now. Pete's brother is an insurance salesman. I decided to get some life insurance now that I'm married, and so I talked to him about a policy. One of the questions he asked me about was my weight, and, of course, I lied. I thought that was ok, as it put in just the "non smoker" category, as opposed to something better. But, after I had already signed the paperwork, I found out that there are worse categories, and I am right on the line for the next in terms of weight. Had I known this, I would have waited a few weeks to do the policy. This could possibly cost me an extra $250/year, and I can't get reassessed for 2 years. This really sucks because I've only been this high for the past 2-3 weeks or so, and now I'm in this bind. It would be no big deal if the insurance guy was a stranger - I'd just explain the situation and would cancel for now. But I'm mortified to have to have Pete's brother know about how much I weigh.....

I guess I just have to swallow my pride, tell him, and put off doing the policy if I can - I don't want to pay that extra money just because of my sloppy eating since the honeymoon.

Unless any of you have any suggestions for a way to drop 5# of water quickly so I can make the weigh in Tuesday morning.... Not a smart thing to do, I know, but I'm feeling pretty stupid and desperate about this.... :(
Cindy

ledom
12-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Cindy - is there a way you can just postpone? Saunas? I have no idea. I have a bit of the same issue. A Dr. appt. on the 21st - I know I am up and he always points it out to me.

Yes, thanks for posting the link. I am starting a 12 week challenge today. I just feel ready to hit it again despite the holiday approaching. I get in trouble at home on the weekends but I have been able to hold my ground with all the extra goodies floating around, just not going to take the first tumble on that slippery slope.

ledom
12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, I did the first day and loved it. All I needed was a soft spot, yoga mat on carpet, and a stretchy band. Which I didn't have so I did the movement without it and felt the burn. It was just hard enough. I walked a mile tonight too. Tomorrow I do a 20 min hiit. I have never done that before. I'll use my treadmill.

Also I have cooked and continue to cook today. I am making a bunch of food that should last well into next week. I am serious about this challenge. Even though it is by the seat of my pants.

BfL_Cat
12-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Ledom - what program are you doing for your 12-week challenge?
Cindy

ledom
12-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Turbulence Training go up to Gina's last post and click the link she made. It'll take you right to it. Also scan through Skwigg's archives looking for Turbulence Training. You can buy it, but she is offering a sample of it free it that link. I am excited about it. It is different than anything I've done but also familiar. I am starting a BFL diet for a while. I am going to do all 6 meals and try to follow the protein/carb rule and keep it as clean as possible. And I am going to forgo my Friday night beers too. I have 3 free days scheduled on my calendar right around Christmas that coincide with parties. I have a plan.

BfL_Cat
12-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey gals - I just have to share how my physical went.... the gal's scale was 10# off from mine! To my benefit, luckily! Not sure if they do that on purpose or not, but I sweated it for no reason. Not that it wasn't a bit of a wake-up call for me in terms of getting things back on track, but it just amazes me that they would be that off, and then have these arbitrary weight cut-offs....

Ledom - your plan sounds good. Funny you mention BFL - I've seriously been considering going back to it for a bit - it's what worked for me initially, so I'm thinking it will work again. I know it's not great for me long-term, but it works to get the weight off, which is what I need right now.

Just not sure how I can do that through this holiday season -we had an "international" lunch at work yesterday, there is a holiday pot-luck today, we are going out for the holiday with my boss tomorrow night.... it seems to never end!

Hope everyone's week is going well!
Cindy

ledom
12-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I just don't think you can go wrong with the BFL diet - it is great for easing back into a diet even if you decide to cut back more later.

My challenge got off to a sputtering start. Still struggling but I do feel pleased with my plan. It is going to happen, this week was intense with the last classes of the semester and additional responsibilities but I give my last final Tuesday. I am not giving up on the idea of the challenge and I aim to turn in into more than an idea.

BfL_Cat
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
And the thing about BFL that helps me with DH is that he loves "free day". It may be the only way to get him to participate. We both have gained at least 10# since the wedding/cruise, and it's not pretty!

As far as your challenge start - baby steps - some working out is better than no working out! Now if I would only listen to my own advice!
Cindy

chick_in_the_hat
12-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey!
Happy Friday!!
Cindy - sounds like a 10 lb fudge to make sure more people make it in...LOL on the DH and free day...who wouldn't want to participate if only for the free day? :lol3:
ledom - I've seen a lot of people have success with BFL...:goodluck:
As for me...DH is headed to Mexico tomorrow. He'll be gone a week. Let's see if all the things I say I'm gonna do get done. Judging from previous history maybe half will get done..:p Ahh well...first on the list is the stockings in the mantle. :snowball1:snowball::snowfight:ginger: Gotta love me some holiday smilies! :D

ledom
12-09-2007, 03:33 PM
This recipe (http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html) is fabulous if you like spicy. I haven't broken down the calories but I think it would fit into any high protein diet nicely as long as you trim the fat off the pork. You could also leave out the cup of dark beer and the masa harina but I wouldn't.

BfL_Cat
12-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I don't know what masa harina is! :(

ledom
12-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Cindy it is a finally ground corn meal used for making tamales. Around here it is in all the grocery stores, sometimes near the Mexican food section. I have made this twice, the second time I substituted cornmeal but I recommend the masa harina. This might make Pete happy if he can take the heat. I don't normally eat really hot stuff but this works for me. I use the minimum peppers.

Okay guys, I have developed a really bad eating at night habit. It's when I do all the damage. I have got to suffer through a nights because this habit is not breaking easily!

sirak
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I have managed one week of decent eating and five days of exercise last week. I have an oven full of meringues made with splenda right now and there are some pumpkin oatmeal craisen cookies around here somewhere. The holidays are really hard as I know one day I will have to break down and make real cookies with real frosting and sprinkles for the sake of my kiddos.
One night we had fit and tasty pizza from pizza hut as DD21 was leaving for Austin( and it is our favorite one)- but I only had a couple of pieces and arranged my meals so I won't be too off keel. I was amazed at the fat content of a apple fritter that I had at a holiday brunch. Just one... I thought along with scrambled eggs and hot sauce- good lord !That day low fat went out the window.But I have been good doing fish and poultry, otherwise.
I tried the yoga program on fit TV one day and just about killed by glutes. There was one pose where you stand on one leg with your other leg up in the air and your head down. With each breath you are supposed to bend your knee slightly. I think this was a bit more advanced that I was ready for. I have the balence stuff, but the butt muscles are still sore when I think about it. My goal is the three pounds that have stuck around for the past month. If I don't zap it now it will be five !
Cindy- my 14 year old explorer needs transmission repairs again and I am thinking of junking it. My sister just traded her ten year old explorer for a Santa Fe. I am driving my Mom's accord right now and hoping that the job comes through with the bank .
Ledom-in about four months you and I will be back in our element- our yards. I took down big daddy tomato plant yesterday and have what looks like 5 gallons of green tomatoes in my kitchen. I forsee tomatoes until the first of the year. Now when it comes time to plant you will be in great shape for working in the yard. It is so much better to fight the holidays now and not gain the weight then to deal with it's after affects in January !
Good luck with your holiday chores,Gina !
It sounds like everyone is moving, which is what counts in my book. I can't tell you how motivational it is to drop by and see that everyone is still working on it. The healthy eating part is just a real challenge and I am glad that this year DH will be attending his functions without me.It's just better to think of a new pair of shorts down the road.
Which is another thing I found motivational! I bought me a couple pairs of new workout pants and shoes.The shoes are not really good for anything other than walking around( I will get some more running shoes after Christmas), but it just made me want to workout more because they all looked so good.

ledom
12-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Sirak - check out that Green Chili I posted the recipe link to yesterday. Instead of tomatillos, used those green tomatoes. I found another green chili stew recipe (google for it) at Cooks.com that uses chicken and potatoes and isn't as hot if that would be better for your kids. Seems green tomatoes are a key ingredient which is what got me on the green chili kick in the first place. I pulled my garden out last weekend. I am amazed at how much food I grew in such a small plot.

sirak
12-10-2007, 04:44 PM
That recipe is alot like my green chili stew except I don't do Serrano or Jalapenos. I just love green chilies- I buy cans of them at the store to put on top of turkey burgers with a slice of cheese or cook them in eggs. I roast my fresh ones on the stove or in the oven or on the grill and then let them steam in a plastic bag.
The Green chilies (or poblanos) have just enough kick to make the endorphins in you brain kick in but not enough to burn. Serrano and jalapeños are so tough on me that I have to use gloves if I go trying to de-seed them or strip the veins where the capstein are.
I don't use the masa-but if there is any stores that sell packages corn husks in the produce departments I bet they have masa harina on their baking aisle or if someone at your work shows up with some sweet tamales at your job this Christmas grab them and get them to let you borrow some masa (and thank them for the Tamales).
Sweet Tamales- now that it food porn.
I also use pork stew meat in mine-which you can find out here. Mom has a super big Vietnamese grocery store and they carry it cheaper than most of the other stores.
I ran Master cook on it just to see and it came out as 395 calories for 10 servings. Amounts- 61-11-28 for nutritional values, which sounds like the pork roast would be really heavy fat, but you would be trimming it anyway. This is with the Masa Harina.Without the Masa it is only ten calories less. I used a pork shoulder roast as Mastercook does not list pork butt.
The main thing you get with a recipe like this it is total comfort food. It is soft and with the aromas of the spice. Without the Masa I would freeze it and it makes a great Saturday lunch.

ledom
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey thanks for the calorie count. I don't usually eat hot stuff, but this is just right for me, hot but I can handle it hot. It does clear my sinuses. I am not sure the cut of pork I used, it was pretty lean to start with, but I did trim all visible fat as well.

So, I am determined not to sink into night time eating tonight. I might just have to go to bed early tonight!

sirak
12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
This is the recipe that I use when I make Breakfast cookies. The link (http://www.recipezaar.com/158087)is to the original site and has further information on the nutrition. I made them for my son when he had early morning football practice and sometimes football in the afternoon ( "twoadays"). The nice thing about them is they are big protein, big carbs and huge calcium.
They were huge- I made smaller cookies so that way I could have one and not blow my carbs for the day. Bo would eat two for breakfast and one for afternoon snack.
I added craisens and sometime walnuts if I made them to share with my dad.
The recipe is broken down to the smallest amount, but the site will allow you to increase the amounts so that you are not doing one little cookie at a time.

Big Fat Breakfast Cookie
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon raisins
1 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup non-fat powdered milk
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon Splenda granular

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray cookie sheet with baking spray.
3. Mix all ingredients together.
4. Spoon 1 large mound on the baking sheet.
5. Bake 15-20 minutes.

ledom
12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
That does indeed look good Sirak. I am baking christmas cookies for my kids tonight when they come help decorate the tree. Maybe I'll make one of these for myself so I can have a cookie and not wreck my diet.

I have really concentrated the last couple nights on breaking this distressing nighttime eating pattern that has snuck up on me. It has not been too bad. I have a good book and I have been going to bed early and reading. Seems to help.

SO, I gave my last final last night. I know you guys know how this semester started so terribly and how I just never got caught up after missing the first week of it. I am so happy to have some time to get myself reorganized. Much house cleaning and decorating to do between now and Sunday when I am having some people over but that is a good thing because then I can move on to other things.

Hope you all are hanging in there.

chick_in_the_hat
12-13-2007, 01:17 AM
Hey Sirak - I just baked a batch of those cookies. Pretty danged good! An just in time, the breakfast bars I have been eating got reformulated...hardly any protein now. :mad: I might make them half sized next time tho.

ledom - :yay: time for you!!

I had a good workout today, I'm still plugging away at getting my instructor certificate to teach X-bike. I feel good, I AM good.. :D

ledom
12-13-2007, 10:21 AM
:bike:Yes Gina - you are not only good. You're FABULOUS! Do you feel that the cardio you get doing spin is a big factor in your success?

:yay: is right. I feel so much freedom right now. Got so much done yesterday!

:crossed: One of those things done was getting the christmas tree up last night. It's a pretty one. Pearl, my precious kitty is doing so good too. I half way expected to hear it come crashing down in the middle of the night. She is so rambunctious, so I hope that she continues her good behavior! I did leave the bottom third of the tree virtually undecorated in order to help her resist temptation.

:broc: So, I guess this morning is fun with icons. I didn't notice the dancing broccoli before. Cute!

Night eating has gone so much better the last 3 days. Now I need to put the power of my will towards getting back into an exercise routine. I thought I'd start yesterday, but did not! I could list my excuses, they are certainly good enough for me to convince myself to forgo it. But, it has been my greatest downfall and disappointment in myself recently that I have let a habit of several years now get away from me. So will be working on that next. :no:

Gonna make the cookies today. I thought I'd double the recipe and make four instead of two cookies. I will probably add a few nuts to mine. :twirly:. Oh, maybe I am the nut!

chick_in_the_hat
12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Spin is the reason I eat too much as well as the reason I don't gain. If I could just get my brain to forget that I worked out when it is deciding what to eat. :mad: I've been agruing with msyelf over it for a while.

ledom
12-15-2007, 12:49 AM
:val2:I am in lust with the Big Fat Breakfast Cookie.:val2:

chick_in_the_hat
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
LOL...big enuf for ya?

ledom
12-15-2007, 12:48 PM
LOL, but seriously....

It is. I made two batches, split into 4 cookies. I added a few walnuts. I would say 250, 275 calories. Much better than those zone bars. Great at coffee break, lunch, whatever.

BfL_Cat
12-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Hmmm, guess I'll have to make some!

BfL_Cat
12-16-2007, 08:42 PM
I meant to ask how much protein this has in it? Should I add vanilla protein powder instead of the powdered milk to boost it? Or would I need to keep the powdered milk in there as well?

chick_in_the_hat
12-16-2007, 08:59 PM
1 big ol honkin cookie
Calories = 356
Fat = 2.3 g
Cholesterol = 7 mg
Sodium = 324 mg
Potassium = 935 mg
Carb = 66.1 g :eek:
Fiber 4.3 g
Protein 20 g :D

Shouldn't really need much of a protein boost - the milk does it for ya.

chick_in_the_hat
12-16-2007, 09:14 PM
So...DH comes home tonight...'sabout time. I did pretty well until Friday and yesterday. Today was back on track. I might have been missing him. :s: I did get tons of house stuff done..wonders will never cease. The stockings are hung and everything!:ginger::xcheer:

I even got a really good bike ride in today. I have been taking a break from weight training - I have an annoying sore spot in my left arm and shoulder. Let's see if a week off fixes it. Hopefully it isn't from biking...:mad:

I got a new phone a few weeks back. It has an MP3 player in it...so fun to load it up! It's bigger than my old player :yay:

ledom
12-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Happy your hubby gets back today. I think I lost track that he was gone. You guys have a great holiday.

I hosted the art faculty at my house yesterday for lunch. It went off beautifully. My house looked great, as long as you didn't open any closed doors. I grilled another turkey. Grilled/smoked turkey is my thing now - I have it down. I am having a party Sat. for friends - it's my year for entertaining.

AND - wonder of wonders. I have help coming in Tuesday and Wednesday! I am so excited. I have been drowning in stuff, not only mine but trying to go through my mother's stuff with DD as well. I need an objective point of view on how to organize my house and helps a comin'!

So, have a good day ya'll and eat a salad today. I am going to try to eat one everyday this week for lunch.

chick_in_the_hat
12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
ledom - So cool you are finally able to enjoy your house again!! Help is good - send 'em over here when they are done. ;)

My sister and her family are in town from Portland - should be fun to hang out with the nephews. Today is a planned rest day. I taught an X bike class last night - only 3 more out of ten before I can get certified. Prolly won't happen until January with all the holidays coming most of the normally scheduled classes are cancelled. I figure I'll prolly just sub for other people sometimes- but how fun is it to be able to say I teach spin? :cb: I haven't killed anyone yet, either. :s:

ledom
12-21-2007, 08:23 AM
hey - yes, my house is sparkling and I am love with it again. +, I am now on this ladies cleaning rotation, she is coming half a day every 2 weeks. It's my christmas gift to myself. Why did I wait so long?!?

On the diet front, just ugh. I am having the hardest time finding my want to - and at the same time just hating what I am doing to myself. I have been here before and dug myself out, but sheesh......not happy about it right now.

Today is a new day, maybe I'll get a grip. It is a huge cooking day for my party tomorrow night so, I'll try. I am desperate for just a little spark of desire and self control to build on.

ledom
12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Just to let you know....because you might not have heard my primal scream where you are.

My oven died last night! My daughter's bf's family are coming to my house for lunch tomorrow. My identity as a chef is being overcome as my identity of as the queen of home disaster.

Okay, I know I am being melodramatic here. But, really - stove goes out the day before Christmas?

On the upbeat side a repairman said he'd work me in today. Bless his heart, I can't feel sorry for myself when many are working today. Thank goodness. I do have a back up plan, that might just land me in the funny farm, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Next year? Christmas anywhere but at home sounds good.

chick_in_the_hat
12-24-2007, 01:25 PM
:present::hohoho::elf::brr::gift2::snow4::snowfigh t:tree::ginger::snowball::snowglo::shocksn::wreath ::rudolph::snowball1:clause:

LOL I just had to use the smilies before Xmas is over.

ledom - WTF? So I take it the stove wasn't part of the new stuff in the house? I hope it gets fixed pronto! I'm doing leg of lamb for the parental units tomorrow...should be mellow. :D

The sun is shining at the moment - I think I'll get a bike ride in.

chick_in_the_hat
12-24-2007, 01:27 PM
:present::hohoho::elf::brr::gift2::snow4:
:snowfight::tree::ginger::snowball::snowglo:
:shocksn::wreath: :rudolph::snowball1:clause:

LOL I just had to use the smilies before Xmas is over.

ledom - WTF? So I take it the stove wasn't part of the new stuff in the house? I hope it gets fixed pronto! I'm doing leg of lamb for the parental units tomorrow...should be mellow. :D

The sun is shining at the moment - I think I'll get a bike ride in.

chick_in_the_hat
12-24-2007, 01:28 PM
DOH double post...thought I was editing... :dunno:

ledom
12-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Update: Nope, I kept my stove because I loved it and I couldn't afford a new one. BUT, looks like I might have to buy a new one anyway. Can't be fixed quickly, have to order and expensive part, we'll see.

So, plan b it is. It's okay, DD lives 2 miles away. They're out of town tonight, I'll go over and hang with their cat and bake my christmas cake. She made baked ziti and we'll cook it there along with the bread and baked olives and we'll transport it. I will not end up in the nut house over it.

Some me time is in order in the VERY NEAR future though.

Happy Christmas Eve's Gift everyone. So glad you ladies are here to share it all with.:candy:

Despite all the trials and tribulations I am very thankful for my life and my family and I am so happy I will be with them tomorrow. I am glad that there will be new people at my dinner table and that my family is growing to include a very sweet young man and his family.:ginger:

ledom
12-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Did ya'll have a good Christmas?

Ours was nice. I was able to hustle all the sugary buttery out of my house on Christmas day so that was a plus.

Enjoyed my family and am finally getting to catch by breath and enjoy the rest of my break.

New stove ordered yesterday.

Would love to hear from you guys.

chick_in_the_hat
12-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Besides a run in with a bowl of whipped cream Xmas was fairly uneventful. :D

I'm still waiting for my left upper arm to stop annoying me- it's weird, it's sore when I pick up stuff..even like a carton of milk. Not heavy duty pain, just sore. I haven't worked out upper body for like a week now...:mad: Not the most patient of chicks.

ledom - hope your new stove shows up soon. :carrot:

Happy Friday chickies!!

ledom
12-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Chick, sorry to hear about your arm. That sounds like an odd sort of pain you are experiencing. Hope it feels better soon - doesn't interfere with the spinning does it?

My kayaking buddy is coming down for a few days tomorrow. It's barely warm enough, but you know in years past that didn't bother me. The extra pounds I have put on the last 6 months makes that difference I know. It just ages you. I am hate that - hopefully enough to do something about it. Anyway, I am going and looking forward to it with just a little dread that there will be some discomfort involved however the joy of being outside generally very quickly overcomes the worries I have while I am at home just thinking about it. We'll do some hiking too.

chick_in_the_hat
12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Once you get out there you'll be glad you did. At least that's how it works for me. Just take your time at the beginning and warm up slow. Enjoy! :carrot:

The arm thing has been an annoyance - but looking at previous posts it has been longer than I thought. Like 2 weeks. But I didn't really stop trying to work it until last week. Hopefully resting it fixes it. Worst case scenario I'll go and get it checked out. I am still spinning - I just don't move the handle bars now. It seems to be gripping that causes the problem.

BfL_Cat
12-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi girls - back from Michigan late yesterday - I'm afraid that I didn't do as well as it sounds like you all did with the holiday food - I pretty much gave into it, as well as goodies at the movies we saw.

I'm still off until the 2nd, so will be working on ridding the house of anything off plan, and getting ready to clean up my food act. I know it will be tough at first, so I've got plenty of 50% off very dark chocolate to allow me to "treat" myself when I feel the need. Target had it all - just because of holiday packaging it's 50% off - can't beat that!

Hey, do any of you gals cook in stainless cookware, meaning *not* non-stick? My mom got me a nice set of copper cookware, with stainless lining, and I've never tried to cook with such a thing, so I'm a little nervous to try it. I've got visions of everything sticking and burning.

Are you gals doing anything fun for New Year's? We will probably just stay in - none of our friends do much of anything, so we just stay home as well.

Gina - hope your arm feels better soon - I just hate pains that have no reason!

Ledom - how exciting that you'll be getting a new stove. Gas or electric?

You gals have a good one!
Cindy

BfL_Cat
01-01-2008, 10:39 PM
:newyear: Happy New Year's ladies! Hope this new year is all you want it to be!
Cindy

ledom
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Happy New Year!

Let me join the wish, Cindy, that we will all have a stellar year.

I haven't cooked with stainless. But many of my pots and pans are not nonstick. I cook with calphalon cookware. My stove is electric. It will be here by the 7th, hopefully sooner.

Well, I had quite a kayaking adventure. It really brought home to me how I have let myself get out of shape too. When we headed out there was a light wind, we had checked the weather in advance with winds 5 to 10 mph predicted which is fine. Well, that was wrong. We got caught out in gale force winds and found out when we got home that lake wind advisories were out. We got into a very scary situation and there was nothing to do but put every bit of our cunning, experience, and strength into getting back to shore. We were out there wallowing in waves that were white capping. I couldn't even watch my friend as watching her boat tossing in the waves just made me kind of sick. Fortunately we prevailed - by sheer will I believe. It was not the smartest thing we ever did before. I was so much less confident than when I was weight training. I didn't have the energy reserves or the balance that I believe I had 6 months ago. Just another reminder of the importance of being fit - it can save your life!

Sirak - you've been awfully quiet. What's up with you? Hope you can check in soon.

ledom
01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey guys. What's up? How is your arm doing Gina? Cindy, got that kitchen cleaned out? Sirak? I am back to reading up on Turbulence Training. I am following the nutrition guide for fat loss that they put out. Today I am doing it, I think my house is pretty much junk food free now. I do need to clean out the fridge and make sure that there is just the right stuff in there now because I have a menu of sorts to follow today. It's just all the simple basic stuff. I did workout day 1 again. My mini goal is to get through the first two days :twirly:.

BfL_Cat
01-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Kitchen not quite cleaned out - I bribed DH by offering to let him do "Free Day" for the first month, but then he wouldn't let me throw some stuff away... So, I'm just having to be strong - so far it's easy, so things are doing ok. No exercise as of yet, but this is big progress for me!
Cindy

ledom
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Well, I have just eaten my 6th, extremely clean meal for the second day in a row. It is detox. It feels pretty good. Hard, but I am paying a lot of attention to it and it feels like a project. I am excited about it.

Tomorrow is a body weight circuit, different from the first day. I haven't done this one yet so that will be interesting, my body, I am out of touch with it.

The break is flying by. I am trying to tackle the basement this weekend. Last week I unpacked the last of the kitchen boxes. That was a good accomplishment.

I have a funny (kind of) cat story. My precious Pearl snuck out the door on our coldest night, about 18 degrees. I mean snuck, I didn't miss her until she came running in the house when I opened the door next morning. She is so funny. Usually her tail is very sleek but it was bristled out way big when she came prancing in. She is wild at heart, I can just tell. Anyway, she ate a bunch and then curled up in the covers of my bed where she stayed all day long.

ledom
01-08-2008, 07:29 AM
How's it going you guys? I am getting a sense of routine in my meals and exercise, the beginning of it. I have almost a full week in. It feels good.

Lot's going on here, as usual, health problems abound with loved ones. It takes a lot to deal with it all. I postponed my dreaded Dr. appt. until Feb. 8. I am trying to get myself in shape for that. He can't yell at me though, it has been a hard year.

Break is coming to an end. Oh the things left to do, not to mention rest which is #1 priority. Tomorrow I have another play day planned. I can't really satisfy my traveling urges right now so a friend and I are going to go driving, just a 100 mile radius, but back to a little lake in the mountains I want to explore. No boats, just going to look at it's possibilities. I am still reliving the horror of my last kayak trip. I learned a lot about a situation I will never put myself in again.

chick_in_the_hat
01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
ledom - :yay: YOU!!! Enjoy your play day tomorrow - :D

Cindy - DH's can be such a PITA sometimes..:P Stay strong!

As for me - the arm is still being annoying. I have an appointment to see a doctor but not til the 23rd. I've stopped biking for the moment. The only good thing about that is that I tried a treadmill and found out I can jog now. Who knew? I lasted like 20 minutes at 5.5 MPH. That's prolly really slow - but the last time I ran was like the 6th Grade. :lol:

BfL_Cat
01-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Hey gals! I'm just focusing on cleaning up my food right now, and that's going pretty well. Not perfect, but better than it's been in weeks. I just need to remember that it is possible to have too much of a good thing - need to work on paring down my quantities.

Ledom - that is funny about Pearl - I hate when they sneak out like that. Good idea to stay off the water right now - that last experience was a close call! Enjoy your exploring.

Gina - sorry to hear your arm is still bothering you, but awesome about the jogging! Who cares that it's a bit slow - at least you're actually running!

Cindy

ledom
01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Afternoon all. Just wanted to say that I did my 6 days of workouts. Today is rest day. I have been more on than off my diet. Last night I was in the grocery store kind of late and thought, ****, I have had a hard day. Maybe I'll pick out a treat. You know, that kind of rationalization that is so wrong. Anyway, I went by the ice cream case, the pastry, case, the nuts, the chips, the cookies, I went and looked at it all. Read the labels, knew any one of the things I looked at would be consumed totally, not in serving size portions. I ended up not buying any of that junk. Came home and had yogurt, cottage cheese, berries, and nuts and called it a day.

chick_in_the_hat
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
LOL ledom - I totally just did the same thing a couple of days ago. Even went so far as to wander to the mall with an idea of getting a yogurt that would put me over my calories for the day. Determination on both our parts won out in the end. :woohoo:

:bravo: on 6 days of workouts!! :yay: And on "more on than off my diet". You Go, girl!

BfL_Cat
01-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey gals! Good for both of you for not giving into tempation! I wish I could be like that (and I have been in the past, just not right now).

Last night I caved to temptation and had 4 Kashi TLC cookies in addition to the bowl of cereal I'd already had. Well, let me tell you, I paid for it dearly - those cookies are very high fiber, and my stomach was not so happy - I was up a good part of the night because of it - just a lot of stomach churning, and as a result, me tossing and turning. No fun.

I may have said this before, but since I can't remember anything anymore, I'll say it again - I think I need to go back on BFL to get myself on track. Granted it was 5 years ago, but it really did work for me. I didn't lose a ton of weight, but I lost enough, and my clothing size went down and down. The only real reason that I stopped it was because I got to a certain point where I was only maintaining, no matter how hard it seemed I tried, and I wanted to lose 15# more.

Well, talk about back-firing - I would be thrilled if I were still maintaining that weight - instead I've gained and gained.

So, Monday will be back in the gym with Bill, for my first BFL UBWO in a while. I'll be super sore, but it will feel good.
Cindy

ledom
01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Great Cindy. It feels good when you can feel your muscles. When you feel the outer limits of your butt instead of it just be a marshmallow without distinctive boundaries. That is the way I am feeling about mine anyway.

I bought the Turbulence Training e-books and am following that nutrition and exercise plan. A variation on all our favorites, BFL, Jill, etc. The thing I love about this so far, and I am doing beginner workouts, I feel it, it is enough, but it isn't too much. The nutrition is a little more structured than I am used to but I like that too. It does involve 6 meals a day. 6 meals a day always makes me happy. We'll see what kind of results I get. Consistency.

So during my entertaining season I was showing some guests my bedroom and bathroom. I have a huge Drs. scale in my bathroom. The slender one piped up and said, throw that thing away. I never get on a scale. So, I am thinking, maybe she has something there. I am not throwing it away but I am not getting on it either. Weighing obsessively has never worked for me so why not try something new?

ledom
01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Morning Chicks - hope everyone is having a good week. I am back at work. So far so good. Two weeks of workouts done! So, my clothes aren't falling of me yet. Heck, I don't even feel them getting very much looser. Patience required. I do feel better though. The workouts are making me feel strong again. I am constantly scanning for some sign that eating better and working out is leaving some visible proof. Maybe a little muscle tone in the arms? Anyway, my new workouts are big on planks and side planks. Last night I held my plank 45 seconds which two weeks ago the limit was about 15 seconds so that feels really good.

sirak
01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
G'morning ladies !
I am stopping by and checking in !

I have just eaten my 6th, extremely clean meal for the second day in a row
Goodness Gracious alive- someone is getting serious ! Infact everyone sounds like they are really working on things which is great !
I gained over Christmas- everything is still fitting ok= but not as nice so I am back pushing iron and mixing it up with some yoga and belly dancing. Diet is ok- having a hard time as my kids still need to eat.
IT is strange how just a little bit of workout makes you feel strong. It is empowering and makes the chaos that clutters my head sometimes easier to deal with.
I have a job interview today.I am looking at new wheels.I used the "divorce" word in an email to my spouse this week(it's safe he's outa state this week).Kids are ok-my oldest has moved in with her BF in Austin. Mom was pretty critical last week- but they have taken her off her blood pressure meds. She actually went to the mall to walk yesterday, which beats going into hospice care which what they were suggesting.:carrot:
I think my first place I know that I am working out is my pecs and then my quads- but then again that is just me. When I lost the big weight last year it was my legs that changed first- as if they belonged to someone else.
Everyone have a great week !

chick_in_the_hat
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
RAWK the clean eatin ledom & sirak!! :cb:

I'm still dealing with this annoying sore forearm...dr's appointmet got moved to Friday. :mad: I've been jogging outside - I'm not loving it yet...but it's a good way to get my heart rate up.

sirak
01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I think my new issue is now going to be weekends. Before the split weekends were safe because I just kept up with the plan and cooked for the family. Now when my daughter comes in <eyeroll> we seem to want to eat things like POPCORN with real butter, drink wine and play cards. We ate out and top of everything else I had a date ( I was real good except for the Guinness).I can work out during the week and eat really well- but this is starting to be a pattern when Leah comes in. I can do a relish tray for when we play cards which might help.She is fighting the same ten pounds I am so maybe I can get her to think about Subway or Applebee's
Exercise is getting enjoyable again. I went through a slightly sore period last week. I think I am over the hard part and ready to start upping my reps and increasing the dumbbells to where I was.
I hope everyone has a good week. It was last year at this time I was eating out of control and at my highest point in weight.I feel like celebrating with new motivation that I have been on this journey for almost a year.:carrot:

ledom
01-22-2008, 06:28 AM
:hat:Sirak - congratulations on the amazing progress you have made over the last year! You have done a phenomenal job. What a difference a year can make.

I am still hanging in. My weekend eating wasn't anything to brag about either. But, I am getting there. Exercise is going great. Two full weeks and I am feeling better every day.

http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/index.blog/1779917/tom-venuto-is-psychic/

That address there might disappear, but I found it inspirational. I can't figure out how to make that more subtle link.

BfL_Cat
01-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Ledom - I needed that kick in the rear! Tom Venuto is a wise man when it comes to a lot of that stuff, and I'd all but forgotten all the stuff I learned from him. I did buy his e-book and had joined the Inner Circle last year (or the year before), but then I just stopped paying attention to it all.

Right now I'm in the catagory of thinking "my fitness situation is out of control" still, and to his point, that thinking won't get me anywhere.

I've been eating pretty well since the beginning of the year, following my YOU: On a Diet guidelines, but my weight hasn't budged.

Of course, I *know* that I never lose weight without exercising, but I'm in the pity party stage about that - yes, it is unfair, and I wish it were not the case, but the fact is I do know this, and yet I still am whining about it....

I think I'll print out that TV list of 20 predictions and put it all over around my house as a reminder to myself that I need to make this happen if I want it!
Cindy

ledom
01-22-2008, 10:45 PM
I just had to go read it again Cindy. I am going to remember to look at it often this year.

ledom
01-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Morning ladies - I have stuck w/ my exercise plan for 3 weeks now. I am very happy w/ my workouts and the last couple days I have felt particularly in the groove (did not wait until last possible moment to get started.) Food, better but I am not there yet. I need to reread my diet. I think I need to read it every day until I start feeling more in the groove with that.

Have a good weekend.

chick_in_the_hat
01-26-2008, 12:20 PM
:congrat: ledom!! 3 weeks = new habit in my book. :cheers:

sirak - :lol: @ "real good except for the Guinness" that sounds like me. At least you didn't waste calories on crap beer. :D

cindy - not to say exercise isn't required...but I think it's something like 80% diet, 20% exercise that makes me lose weight. So....if ya gotta pick one - be hardcore on the food plan. Baby steps on the exercise. :carrot:

Same ol same ol from here...still jogging and not working out much. It seems kind of pointless if I can't really do upper body. I've talked to a couple people who have have tennis elbow and it's a sloooooowww healing thing. One guy needed surgery to fix it. :eek:

ledom
01-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Back on the wagon today after a bumpy fall. Feeling better already.

Sorry you are still having problems with your arm chick. I feel creaky and for the first time ever my fingers feel arthritic. It is coming for me. I think kayaking and weight lifting have contributed to it.

I have been thinking about this issue in conjunction with the workouts I have been doing. Mostly body weight. I am really loving it and loving how I feel my muscles developing. For one thing it is a good change, but I liked what DD said. That it would give me a dancers muscles because that is how dancers workout with body weight. I like the sound of that.

ledom
02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Well today is my moment of truth. Remember that Drs. appt. I canceled last month - well today is my rescheduled appt. I don't feel any better about getting on that scale today than I did last month. I haven't weighed in a while, guess I'll just let it be a surprise. I know he'll say something to me about gaining weight. I am just like a high school girl, I dread it. I don't want to go. I don't want to know. Gotta suck it up I guess.

I have had my eating under control this week but I haven't exercise at all. Last weekend I think I realized exactly how exhausted I was. I went to a birthday party and just plopped myself down on my friends couch and think I would have fallen asleep if I hadn't just made myself not be such a wet blanket. This week I have come home from work and zoned out in front of the TV. Not much on and one night I watched about 5 episodes of Reba in a row. Yikes, maybe that's how I know I am exhausted, that that was all I could muster. That is NOT the way I want to spend my time.

I have been taking both mother and daughter to Dr. appts. (DD's depression has flared up again.) Sometimes I feel my little family just eats up everything I got. Even more than the physical strain sometimes is the emotional upheaval. And yet it could be ever so much worse. I am sure you have heard of all the horrible tornados that hit my state this week. So sad.

Anyway, one day at a time. Have any of you read the Power of Now, or any of those type books. I was reading excerpts last night about living in the present. I think I'll try to pick that book up soon. I did just finish reading "Eat, Pray, Love", I really enjoyed that book a lot. The author has many wise insights to pass along. Those kinds of inspirational books are helpful to me. I am not so much into the self-help genre of literature but occasionally it is just the thing to help me move forward.

I am basically good, just in a time of my life where there is a lot of caretaking.

So, Sirak, you mentioned a date a few posts back. I meant to comment on that, but somehow didn't. How are things going for you now? I bet you would love that book, Eat, Pray, Love if you haven't read it yet. It has a lot to do with relationships.

Chic, yeah I like it spelled like that, just saw your updated photos. Wowza, you lookin' good Mama.

Cindy, how are the kittys? Pearl is scheduled for her spaying on Monday. I have never let a cat go into heat before, but I let this one slip me by. Gotta take action fast! I have an unneutered male cat in the house. He's so weird. He is basically feral even though he's a house cat. I am slipping, I always have taken care of these little surgeries in the past. He somehow seemed so damaged that I never had him done. I am thinking I probably still need to get him fixed as well, but will spread it out, he can go next month.

BfL_Cat
02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey gals! :wave:

Sorry I've been AWOL - work has been he!! and I've not been able to stay focused on any sort of food or workout plan. But, I'm into the habit of getting up at 6am right now, so I plan to get back into the gym habit this week - really, I mean it!

The kitties are good - wild and crazy. I will be happy once they get a little older and settle down some! Buoy is only 1.5 and is a terror most of the time! He gets the other 2 younger ones all riled up.

Just wanted to say hi - hope to get some stuff done this weekend!
Cindy

chick_in_the_hat
02-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Happy Saturday!

Work has been heavy duty for me, too. I've been trying to get a new job with the client i'm working with...it's finally starting to look like it might happen sometime this millenium. :p

I have pretty much just been in cardio mode - my arm has still not gone back to normal. I miss my bike. It's all dusty...:( (And NO - dusting it is not an option :s:) Jogging is getting more fun as I go along tho. I even got back on an elliptical the other day and it actually made me sore. :lol:

ledom - how did your doctor's appointment go? Hopefully some time opens up after handling all you family responsibilities that is just for you. Spring is coming..your kayak is calling you. :cool:

Cindy - One new habit down. :cb: Riled kitties racing around the house brings back good memories. The house is pretty quiet now that we are just down to 1 old dawg. Well...until someone touches the leash or food dish. :carrot:

sirak - :wave:

ledom
02-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Hope you all are doing good. Gina, I am joining you as a walking wounded. My knee!!! I haven't been to the Dr. yet, I don't think I was convinced until yesterday that it wouldn't just go away. I did not ever feel when it was injured but it is definitely not right. All of a sudden I am hyper aware that maybe gaining weight back could be part of it, not exercising. It's like now I am worried about being able to exercise I really want to exercise. It'll be a week before I even have time to schedule an appt. because, darn it, this is the busiest, most physically demanding week at work. Hanging the student show which consists of moving around about 150 pieces of art work and hanging a about a third of that after it is selected by the juror who comes today. Thank god for my student helper. I hope he rested up last night.

ledom
02-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Hey Guys-

I am among the living and my leg feels tons better. How is everyone doing?

Spring is trying to break out here. Having trouble, but trying.

Hope you are all well and can see Spring on your horizon.

chick_in_the_hat
02-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey ledom!
I'm still trying to rest the arm. :mad: I have an appointment to get a cortisone shot but not until the 14th. I never was very patient...but I swear all the definition in my arms is GONE. Shoulda took pics. :(

Sorry to be such a downer.

So glad your leg is feeling better!! Spring has pretty much already sprung over here - :cb: I even mowed the lawn one handed a couple days ago. :D

BfL_Cat
03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm definitely in a funk - my weight keeps creeping up and up, and I've not done much to stop it. I'm a terrible stress eater, and my new job is WAY more stressful than the old one was. I know I need to start exercising, but I don't even think I have any shorts that will fit me!

Gina - lawn mowed already! We are shoveling snow this morning - got about 5" on Wednesday, and another 3" this morning!

Hey Ledom - glad your leg is feeling better.

Hi Sirak :wave:

We are going to Naple, FL for a long weekend - March 14 - 18th - I have an Aunt and Uncle there, and my sister is flying in from Ireland to spend a week with them at that time. I keep telling myself that just 2 weeks on the treadmill before then will make me feel so much better about myself - especially since they have a pool, and it's been 85 degrees down there! No clue what I'll wear in terms of shorts or capris....

I really need to shake this, but just can't seem to....
Cindy

ledom
03-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Cindy - pretty much in the same boat here. I have hit most of my work hurdles, though not quite at the home stretch yet, but the funk I got.

Gina - I am so sorry your arm is still bothering you. My leg totally got my attention. I know the recent weight gain did not help matters and is probably the very best reason I can think of to get out of the funk I am in.

I did a short kayak trip today. The sun was shining - it was good to get some vitamin C.

Sirak :wave:

ledom
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Worked out this a.m.

BfL_Cat
03-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Hurray for you!

rockstar87
03-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm relatively new to these boards but I've been following Jillian's book Winning By Losing since the beginning of January. I listen to all her podcasts and never miss Biggest Loser...I think I have a non-sexual crush on the woman! (Haha)

Anyway, I'd really like to join you guys in whatever Jillian related support groups you have going on. If you don't mind of course...:) Have you just been logging your daily workouts here?

BfL_Cat
03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Hello everyone! Happy DSL - which I think is just WAAAAYY too early! I was so enjoying the daylight at 6am, and now it's gone! :(

Rockstar - welcome - feel free to jump right in - we could use a bit of chatter to help get us talking more - it's been too quiet here, and I'm very guilty of it.
Do you really like all of Jillian's podcasts? I download them all, but rarely listen to them. I really need to get better about it - I'm sure it couldn't hurt, especially since my motivation is at an all-time-low.

I do love Jillian's workouts, but right now I just need to get myself moving in any way, shape or form.

Ledom - did you manage to start a trend?

One huge relief in my life is that DH sold his parent's house this past Friday! Hurray! It's been 3 years since his Dad passed away, and despite the fact that he has a twin brother, we have been maintaining that property, in addition to mine, the whole time. That meant grass-cutting and shoveling, both of which required weekly attention year-round. This will take a lot of stress off DH and I - we often fought about this as it meant that despite being married, I was having to maintain my house (now our house) on my own!

We leave for Florida Friday - just a mini-vaca - will be back Tuesday night. Fingers crossed for good weather!
C.

ledom
03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey Cindy - That's great you sold the house. Hurray, a major milestone.

Oh if only, my workout set me way back with my knee. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I am really having problems with it. The day I went to the Dr. it barely hurt at all, and then I did that workout and I am so sorry I did. So now, I am in another funk. Did great with food last week but the weekend was awful. I am pretty miserable right now. Sigh. Next week is spring break. And after that summer break. My plans for the summer are to recover.

Rockstar - hey there. Welcome. It sounds like you are doing great with your workouts.

rockstar87
03-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Bfl_Cat - LOVE the podcasts. Granted, some are more relevant for me than others but I still find them really motivating on those days when I just don't feel like hitting the gym. I look forward to them every week. Don't get deterred by the description given with them (ie: triathlon training), she always ends up spending a good bit of time on people's calls related to all types of things about weight loss, healthy eating and exercise. Jillian seems very well versed on the science involved in everything and I can appreciate that because I'm a biochemistry major. I like when things get explained to me and I don't have to just take someone's word for it.

ledom
03-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Rockstar - I feel the same way about Jillian. She is a smart cookie. I really loved reading both of her books.

rockstar87
03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
She definitely does her research and consults with a lot of doctors and such... I never read her second book but there was a lot of good information in her first. (I'll probably read it when I've only got like 15lbs to lose or something!) She's working on a new one on hormone balances and stuff that I'm REALLY interested in reading since I have PCOS.

chick_in_the_hat
03-13-2008, 07:19 PM
I read the second book- IMHO it wasn't much diffferent than the first one except that it didn't focus so much on "a eat this way for life" way of doing things. I like the first one better - the second one has tons of recipes, tho. :T

Tomorrow is my doctor's appointment to hopefully get cortisone shots that fix my arm...then I will be back with a vengeance. :cb:

Welcome rockstar!! I'm listening to last Sunday's podcast right now. :love: my weekly Jillian fix.

ledom - hope your knee is recovering...got any kayaking planned? :hug:

Cindy - have fun in FLA!! :beach:

vixjean
03-16-2008, 12:04 AM
I did one of Jillians shred workouts. Last week I did the 1st one, this week I did the second one. They are each 20 minutes long. Totally insane!

rockstar87
03-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Blahhh...I missed my workout today guys and I planned to do it tomorrow but I'm really not feeling it...haha. This has been a rough weekend in terms of diet/exercise. I feel like I've been such a lazy sloth!

chick_in_the_hat
03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Sometimes when I don't feel like working out I talk myself into it by telling myself I'll just do half...or I'll take it easy...

I'm in :tantrum: mode....the cortisone shot I got for tendonitis didn't do squat. Next to try is therapy. Grumble grumble.

Happy Spring!!! :D I am off next week to hang out with the In laws south of the border for a week. Running shoes are on the packing list. :D

rockstar87
03-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Sometimes when I don't feel like working out I talk myself into it by telling myself I'll just do half...or I'll take it easy...

Hahaha. That's a great idea. I've got such an "all or nothing" mentality I should definitely try that. Isn't it funny we can knowingly play tricks on ourselves and they still work...lol.

Incidentally, I did get through everything on Sunday and found my new addiction yesterday - spinning class <3. I did it months ago (before I started doing Jillian's circuits) and woke up the next day in so much pain I thought I was dying. Now I just got a really good workout and a little stiffness but nothing I can't handle. I REALLY enjoyed it too! What are the odds?

ledom
03-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Morning ya'll. I am on spring break this week. So far I have been gardening, prepping flower beds but today I think that activity is going to get rained out.

Gina! Whoa, that is not good about your arm. I will be very interested in what kind of therapy you do for your elbow. I think that is what I need for my knee. I am trying to stretch my leg every day. That is the only advice the Dr. gave me. That and Aleve. Not having the stress of work (and all the moving around that involves) does seem to be helping but I think it will be a long time before I think of hiking or walking for exercise which is crazy. I just don't want another flair up because it seems to effect my overall health. It might be time to join the Y and try some swimming.

Anyway, enjoy your trip.

Rockstar, cool about the spinning. It is wonderful to feel yourself getting stronger!

What is a Shred Workout?

chick_in_the_hat
03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
OMG - before my elbow crapped out on me I was two intern classes away from becoming a spin instructor. :love: my spin.

I've been icing and sucking down aspirin to try to control the muscle inflammation. I'll let ya know what they do for PT.

ledom
03-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Well yesterday I bought a new diet book. The one on Super Foods. I have been in such denial, such a miserable place with diet and exercise for the last 9 months or so. I have to find something to spark my curiosity and interest. So this looks like a good thing. I am feeling the effects of my crappy diet and the idea of feeling better sounds good to me. It looks like there are some good posts and recipes over on another thread here at 3 fatchicks. I am trying to soak up as much info as I can. The book is pretty dense. Not a one night read. I am thinking about spending today, the last day of spring break reading my book. I did a lot of cooking this week so I have some good food choices cooked up.

vixjean
03-21-2008, 09:13 AM
shred workout is Jillians' 2 videos they have right now on comcast on demand, It is a program she has started to lose 20 lbs in 30 days, of course we would have to do it every day ;) and It goes along with her website, so I am sure there is a diet on there too.

BfL_Cat
03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi gals! I'm getting myself back on the wagon - I've been in a bad place myself for a while - and have had enough of it.

Ledom - how's the Super Foods book? Any good info and/or recipes? How's your knee?

Chick - how's your arm doing?

I'm moving very slowly into working out again - with the inactivity and the extra weight, my joints are in precarious shape. So, easy does it for now.

Shred is Jillian's new DVD, but I'm nowhere ready for anything like that for a while!
Cindy

ledom
03-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Morning-

Good for you Cindy. And yes be careful. My knee problem, I feel, is a direct result of the weight I have put on rather rapidly in the last 9 months. I also think last year when I did the workouts from Jillian's second book, the one you are supposed to do to lose the last stubborn pounds might have contributed (maybe like Shred?). Which is no ones fault but my own for doing it when I still was quite overweight. I have a whole new perspective on a lot of things now that I am dealing with bursitis in my knee. It all finally caught up with me, guess I was thinking I was invincible there for a long time.

Anyway, last Friday I started eating Superfoods and I am getting better at it each day. I am feeling less bloated and am getting plenty to eat. I haven't started working out again. I have been feeling sorry for myself that I can't get out and hike right now during primo spring hiking weather.

BfL_Cat
03-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm happy to report day 5 of being back on track! I've only walked twice this week, but it was enough - I was tired and my legs felt like lead when I was done. Really does make you appreciate the fitness you had and let slip away....

But my eating has been much, much better, and I am once again able to wear both my wedding ring and engagement ring at the same time. For the past few weeks I have not been able to get both on! They each fit, on their own, but the two together have been a bit much for my pudgy finger!

This weekend will be busy - we are cleaning out a dingy, dirty basement, full of 70 years and 3 generations worth of junk. It's one of those basements that's part dirt walls and floor, part cement and cinder block, 7ft tall in some places, only 5ft tall in others! Fun, fun.... I will pack food for myself to keep me on track, and plenty of water too. We are under a time crunch, so there will be very little time to break for food.

Ledom - glad ou are feeling better with the Superfoods. Do share what it is you are eating and any great recipes you've come across.

Hi Chick! :wave:
Cindy

ledom
03-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Cindy - Right on! Easing back in is allowed. I haven't worked out either. I am at a bit of a loss on working out now, but then I realize that is an excuse. I can do upper body. My knee has felt better the last couple days. I have started taking the icing of it seriously and it is really helping. But cardio is out for the foreseeable future. I thought about swimming, but I hate dealing with the chlorine.

I am so pleased with the food. No new recipes tried yet, but I recommend you go cruise around on the whole foods thread if you are interested in some great looking recipes. I have bookmarked some I want to try. But the thing is, it is whole food oriented and somehow just the most rudimentary recipes work. It is about fruit and vegetables and whole grains and protein, but unlike my most recent attempts at dieting the protein is not so exaggerated. I am comfortable and enjoy these foods full of super nutrients. In the book I read, they talk about each food and what its health benefits are. They also say within a week your hair and skin looks better (it does). And that soon your taste for sugar will go away. I have to say that last night someone was passing around a bag of frozen m&ms, I took 3 and it was true. They tasted so sweet. Of course m&ms are kind of junky chocolate, but when I bit into those I got what the book was saying about how it just doesn't taste right after you've been living on whole food for a while.

Of course another important aspect is portion control. I have counted my calories a couple days and come in around 1500 and that is with eating 6 times a day. If you don't have that much to lose he recommends 3 meals, 2 snacks a day. I find that now, right at the start, I really need that 6th meal. Night is when I can really get into trouble and having something before bed that I have planned has been essential to me getting back into the game.

So this past week was my practice week. I will try to refine and get a little more pure this week. Also plan to make sure I exercise at least 3 times in the coming week.

Gina - how was your trip?

You know, I somehow don't feel like I am in the right posting category anymore except I have made friends on this thread. So sorry if I don't talk about Jillian much anymore, I still love her.

ledom
04-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Well perhaps I redeemed myself - watched the last hr. of The Biggest Loser last night.

And I am still on my eating plan. A week and a half into it. I have lost the bloat and I am feeling a lot better.

How's everyone doing?

BfL_Cat
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm still hanging in there - work is so busy I can barely catch my breath! Food is good, but exercise has not happened this week - I just can't find the time or am too exhausted. I WILL get back on the treadmill this weekend - I need to push myself to get started and stay on track - I know I'll feel great after I do!

I've been watching the end of TBL as well - it is motivating, but not - I mean, it's just not fair that they can lose 80-100# in 15 weeks! I wish I could take time off of work and try to do it myself, but that's just unrealistic for me. I wonder what they do all day long when they are not working out? Sleep maybe???? LOL!
Cindy

ledom
04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I think that is why my attention to TBL has dwindled. The first and second seasons were so inspiring and then it started resembling the kind of reality shows that don't do a lot for me with the strategies and drama, etc. I did like the personalities a lot better than the last time I watched. The folks seemed a lot nicer than the season that kind of got me over the show. My favorite part? When they show the transformations. I love seeing what a huge difference in appearance.

Hey, if you got the eating down Cindy then that is huge.

Sirak - do you ever check in anymore?

How is it going Chick?

junebug41
04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
shred workout is Jillians' 2 videos they have right now on comcast on demand, It is a program she has started to lose 20 lbs in 30 days, of course we would have to do it every day ;) and It goes along with her website, so I am sure there is a diet on there too.

Ok, so I know I don't usually post here, but I tried Jillian's OnDemand workout yesterday and OMG I am SO SORE!

I work out fairly regularly (3-5 times a week at least) and I haven't been this sore in a looooong while. It's the good kind of sore, though :) Can't wait to do it again!

chick_in_the_hat
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey -

The trip was great - but I came back to a freaked out week at work. I started therapy for the tennis elbow...hopefully it resolves itself soon. (I have homework of special stretches) I haven't done an upper body workout since like December and it really shows. Oh well at least I know what to do to get back there. :D

Spring is beautiful here -:sunny:

ledom - how's the super foods going? I should do more research on that, I might be almost there already...

junebug - welcome!! Jillian? Who is she? JK - we are all big fans here. Just don't ask me the last time I was "Jillian workout" sore. :devil:

Cindy - I'm less enthusiastic than usual about this seasons TBL...I think it's like the innocent people that were on in the beginning don't exist anymore. :mad: I agree it's not a realistic lifestyle for most people. I still think it's better to do it on your own and really set up new habits in real life. But it would be nice to drop pounds faster. :^:

Jennt
04-05-2008, 04:09 AM
Hi folks - just came back after a lonnng time gone from 3fc (ooh, I see I was 7 pounds lighter last time I was here, how depressing lol)
anyway, been going strong for almost three weeks now with exercising every day and eating healthy. I wish progress would go faster:(

I'm on day two of doing the shred workout using Jillian's on demand stuff. So very sore, but in a good way :D

I'm going to try and do it every day for a month - lets hope it gets easier =p

ledom
04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Jennt - welcome, enjoy.

Gina - I like how you put it. At least you know what to do to get back there. I am just not going to beat myself up. (And I am not ready to admit how much I have regained either.) Because what's the help in that. As far as the whole foods, you probably AREN'T very far from there. It is going extremely well, I like it. And it seems to be working.

This time around I am going to try very hard not to worry about how long it takes. If there is a loss each week, then it is working and it is when I get maniacal and cut WAY back that I get in trouble.

BfL_Cat
04-09-2008, 10:56 PM
So, did you guys see TBL this week? I can't believe the numbers they pulled when being so close to goal! Ali looks great - not sure she can lose much more in order to win.

I'm voting for Mark to be in the finals, so one of the gals will have a chance to win!
Cindy

ledom
04-10-2008, 06:41 AM
I saw the last half. It's just a little too much like a fairy tale. In some of the other threads the ladies are talking about how it is really more than one week represented. They look good, but.... I guess I have become more cynical about all of it.

Do I sound grumpy?

I have been grumpy lately. I am just not feeling well and am totally frustrated with my leg. I have another appt. on Friday. I didn't quiz that Dr. when I went before. I need some answers. It has been hurting almost 3 months and sometimes it keeps me awake at night.

I also did the blood pressure monitor at the grocery store this week and for the first time ever it read stage 1 hypertension (would high blood pressure make you grumpy?)

Anyway, all the lax attitude and bad attitude have caught up with me. I feel my weight has contributed to both my maladies. Add to not maintaining a healthy weight a heavy dose of stress and there you have it. I have always had superior health and this is not fun. It is very motivating though. I am determined to regain what I have lost in terms of health.

My eating plan is going great, but I haven't exercised. That is one of the big questions I will be taking to my Dr. on Friday. What can I do to help lose weight when I can barely walk as much as I have to in a day?

Michelle125
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I can't believe I've been on 3FC for a few months and never found you guys!! Can I join your thread? I'm such a Jillian's girl! I love the way she's all about tough love- she can be your best friend or your worst nightmare! That's kind of what my exercise routine is like now. I joined a local bootcamp-style fitness club called Platoon Fitness, and the trainers are very nice and would never cause you injury, but man if you slack off they make you drop and give them 20!

It's every morning at 6am at a local high school football field. Today we jogged around town and stopped at various places to run steps, do crunches, do squats, etc then run back. Every day is different and it's so refreshing to be outside- rain, sleet, snow, every weather (except lightning storms!) It's so funny... I think I found this place b/c I so wanted a 'Jillian'. I have no problem being yelled at or hating my trainer at that moment. I like people who will push me!

So anyway, I'm so happy I found you guys :) I voted for Mark in the finals (1, because I like him, and 2, because one of the girls can win mostly likely).

ledom
04-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey Michelle - Welcome aboard. Your exercise program sounds very cool.

So, here's my update. I just saw my Dr. He x-rayed my knee and it is arthritis caused from wear and tear on my knee joint. I asked about exercise, he said swimming and bicycling. He said don't do squats or lunges anymore. Whew - how do I feel about that? Bittersweet. I do wonder how much damage I did while doing some of my more extreme activities.

Anyway, it is time to move on. I am glad I have some answers now. He gave me a shot. Told me to take it easy over the weekend and then to see what I could handle. I drove right on over to the Y and checked out the facility. I will probably join for the pool and the exercise bikes but I thought I could at least give myself a couple days to make sure that is what I wanted to do.

I am super motivated to lose the weight. Sad that it takes something like this to bring it home. It isn't like I didn't know the consequences of obesity.
Anyway, it is all coming off. I will be setting a goal and getting very realistic about this. I do not want to be the fat lady in the motorized cart at the grocery store.

I love hiking. I will do it again. It might be a while, but I will be back on the trails.

BfL_Cat
04-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Ledom,
Glad you've finally got some answers. I hear you about the lunge/squat thing being bittersweet. But that's why I refuse to jump right into BFL or Jillian's workouts like I did 5 years ago - I know this extra weight has put a strain on my knees, and I don't want to risk hurting myself.

I could really use some of that motivation - I don't want to be that old lady in Wal-Mart either - I see it all the time and it is sad....

I think a bike can give you a pretty good workout - it's not weight-bearing, but if it has arms that swing, you can get your heartrate up. And there's always spinning! That's a bike! I'm sure Gina would love to give you some tips on that!! :ebike:

Hey, time to get out of here and go home - I'm outta here! Have a great weekend everyone!
Cindy

ledom
04-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good. The swelling in my knee has responded to the anti-inflamitory shot I got. Mostly. There is still one place way down on my calf that is still puffy. This is all so new. I am researching and have come up with solutions but it is a learning process.

I went ahead and bought my Y membership. It will probably be the end of the week before I get over there though. Will be out of town tomorrow and hope to pick up a swimsuit.

Food and scale going my way. I had a big bowl of chicken soup last night at a mexican restaurant that I think was full of salt so I am up a little this a.m., but I on the whole feel very good about the weekend eating. Not as tight as during the week, but pretty stable with just a couple of treats. I think by tomorrow I might be back to my Friday weight. Anyway, I am starting to feel more like myself. I have my next size down jeans on this a.m. and that goes a long way to contribute to that feeling of being more comfortable in my own skin.

Got a huge ordeal at work solved too. I have been chairing a search committee for a new faculty member and believe it or not folks, it's hard to fill positions these days. But I think we ended up with a perfectly perfect guy that is going to be great to work with. We have been working on this for a while. Today I get to finish the paperwork on the search. Ahhh, putting the semester to bed. One more month and it will be summer break. I am always happy to see it, but this year I NEED it.

Everyone have a good week.

ledom
04-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone. How's it going?

I am feeling pretty darn good. I have been eating the super foods way for about a month now. I am dropping about 2 lbs. a week so far. And today? I went to the Y! I did 10 min. on the bike and 10 min on the elliptical. My knee did pretty good. I though the elliptical was slightly easier on my knee, but maybe some of the other bikes they have would be a better fit. I try them all out.

I know it's not much but after my 9 mo. hiatus, it felt pretty darn good and just hard enough.

ledom
04-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Morning all. It is a beautiful sunny morning here. I plan to work out in my yard today.

I finally decided to 'fess up about my weight with a ticker and I can't make it work! I followed the directions. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I made it, copied it into my signature box, and pressed save but nothing is showing up under my post.

Edited to say, never mind. I guess I just needed to make that first post because now there it is.

BfL_Cat
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Hello everyone, happy weekend!

I'm in for a break from the yard work - plants are just starting to come up, so now's the time for cleaning up and moving stuff. But it's just too darn hot in the sun - so I think I'll take a break until the areas I need to work on are in the shade - my "northern vampire" skin just can't take the heat!

I've decided that I'm going to try to follow Weight Watchers for a while. With DH's eating habits, it's nearly impossible to for me to avoid all his "bad" foods, and I get irritated when he can eat them and I can't. So, instead of trying to follow a plan which requires me to eat cleanly all the time, I'm going to try to allow for the snacks and desserts that he insists on having around. I'm thinking this could help my all or nothing mentality - if I eat a couple cookies, and count the points for them, then I'm still on track, as opposed to that meaning I'm "off plan" on the other plans. Does that make sense.

Ledom - good for you for having the courage to update your ticker. I still don't want to, but ironically, I'm right about where you are weight-wise.

I'm really hoping that some structure will help me to get myself back in control, eating-wise, and that can only lead to more good things!

Hope you all are having a great weekend!
Cindy

BfL_Cat
04-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi gals - happy new week!

I thought I'd try a new avatar for a change - I got put on the blue team for the TBL challenge on here, so I did something blue. I'm kind of bummed about being put on the blue team -being a Jillian groupie, I was hoping for the red or black... just my luck - only a 33% chance of being put blue, and I was!

Whatever - the real purpose of doing this is to keep me accountable for the next 15 weeks. I'll have to log my weekly weigh-ins and I'm hoping that will keep me motivated.

My first week of WW ended successfully - even with TOM, I'm down 4# so far ( I cheated and peeked early!). Mondays are my weigh-ins, so I really won't record anything until tomorrow.

Had that great Puerto Rican dish again tonight - Asopao de Pollo. Their version of paella, but a little more like a stew than just a rice dish. Lots of green olives and capers, so the salt might have my weight up. But, its so good, I don't mind. I got it from the Cooking Light website, if you're interested.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Cindy

ledom
04-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Good luck with your challenge Cindy. I like your blue avatar. Congrats on your good weigh-in.

My week was so so. Only down a quarter of a lb. this week. I know why. I think this week will be a lot better.

I cooked for my kids yesterday and we had a great meal and today I am ready for salads for lunch all week and just general good behavior. Local strawberries for sale this and last week at the farm stand. They are so good!

Purplefirefly
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Is there room here for one more Jillian Girl? I am a huge Jillian fan, follow her book and her DVDs, and would love to join your group here :)

ledom
04-28-2008, 01:15 PM
of course...welcome Purplefirefly

BfL_Cat
04-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Ledom - I wondered if you'd recognize what my avatar is - being an artsy person as you are? It's my favorite thing to see at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Welcome purplefirefly!

Hey, did anyone listen to Jillan's show with TBL winner Ali on it? I don't know if it was available yet - I really want to listen to it.
Cindy

Purplefirefly
04-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I listened to Jillian's show this AM and Ali is extremely inspiring, I just hung on so much of what she said Definitey listen, and it is available today on the On Demand on the website.

ledom
04-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Cindy - just a guess. Is it a Tiffany stained glass piece?

BfL_Cat
04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
They are actually windows by Marc Chagall - the funny thing is that I thought they were the ones in Chicago, but they are actually in the UN building in NYC! I love colored light, and I especially love all the blue from his windows!

I'm hungry today :(
Cindy

ledom
04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Even better! I didn't know about Chagall's stained glass. Had to google it. How perfect. I have always loved his paintings.

Sorry you are hungry - do you ever drink chai tea. I am loving Tazo Chai these days. Don't know if it would help, but maybe.

BfL_Cat
05-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Woo-hoo - my ticker moved!
Cindy

ledom
05-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Go Cindy - you're doing great!

I got to move mine too. One lb. for me this week. I can tell I am retaining water and it is weird. I am post menopause, I have been drinking a lot of water and haven't eaten anything extremely salty. It has been going on all week. I am happy though. I didn't get any workouts in this week at all. I am off after next week so plan to really apply myself to exercise once I get through finals. So, one lb. in two weeks. I am okay with that. It has taken me a long time to get to this point, but as long as I am going down I am okay with it. I am eating and perhaps could trim some calories here and there but I have totally embraced the super food concept. There is not one thing I eat that isn't a super food. I feel better and look better. My mom asked me today if I had lost some weight, bless her heart. I think for the most part it is only me that can tell. I am alright with that too. It feels different this time.

BfL_Cat
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Hi guys - hope everyone is doing well. I've had a high-salt week myself - I know I've done better than the scale is saying, and I can barely get my rings on, so I know it's water. I'm only counting 1# for the week, but like you Ledom, down is down, so that's a good thing. In fact, anything that's not up is a good thing as far as I'm concerned!

I'm working from home today, so am playing a bit of hooky right now. I'm backing up the hard drive on my work computer - it's taking forever, and I can't really work while doing it. Poor planning on my part, but oh well....

So glad the weather is finally nice - I have a bunch of gardening to do - coneflowers taking over my garden and smothering out everything else. Time to move them, while they are still small. Not sure where they will go, but they've got to be moved!

Any big plans for the weekend? Not me - just yard work and maybe go up to camp and work on scraping and painting the docks - big fun...

Hope you gals have a good one!
Cindy

ledom
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Morning-

This past week I lost my focus. So, back at it. It wasn't a horrible week, just bad enough. Sat. I ate all the wrong things and I felt terrible. Whole foods make the machine work better.

I am enjoying the Y. School is out and time to hit it on a regular basis. Except, today is tree removal day. I am having the pine tree (huge) that was struck by lightening cut and maybe some more. I am having a hard time deciding what to let go, but am planning new landscaping for my front yard and have some tough decisions to make. I am trying to move some of the many plants from my mother's property to my own.

Gina, how is your elbow doing? Any miracle cures you have to pass on? I could use one. My knee hurts each and every day. I am reconciling myself to living with pain. How sad. But, only the more reason to get the weight off.

BfL_Cat
06-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey gals - looks like we lost some posts in yesterday's server problems. I thought I'd post something so it wouldn't look like we hadn't posted in nearly a month!

It's the weekend, thank goodness. I'm up at camp, enjoying my view of the lake while I have my morning coffee. I brought work home, so not sure how much of the weekend I'll get to enjoy, but I'll do what I can.

You gals have a great one!
Cindy

ledom
06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Cindy, Gina, anyone out there?

Just thought I'd check in and say hi. Hope everyone is doing well. I am slowly picking myself up from a pretty demoralizing regain. It is just a vicious cycle it seems, but not one I can seem to give up on. Eventually I will get it right. I lent out my SuperFoods book when I should have hung on to it. But, it has returned to me and I am really trying to make it a part of who I am.

The good news is that my leg continues to get better. I have let hiking back into my life. I've been out the last 3 Sunday mornings. I have to be sure and stretch good in advance and to not overdo it. There was a while last winter when I thought I'd never hike again. This past Sunday I was on an old favorite trail - I missed it! I have also been kayaking some as well. But mostly swimming and doing the eliptical/bike at the Y.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

ledom
06-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Feeling chatty this week. Just back from the Y. This morning I increased the bike and elliptical by 5 minutes to 15 minutes each, and reduced swimming to 30 min. It feels good to get in there and get it done in the early morning, though at first I was going mid-day. They do a day camp for all the school kids during the summer so the pool isn't so inviting when there are a bunch of screaming splashing kids! It does feel like such a luxury to have a whole lane of an olympic size pool to do my laps in.

chick_in_the_hat
06-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey ledom! Glad to hear your leg is getting better. It's infuriating how long it takes, huh? My elbow is barely back to being able to start working out upper body again.

Ya know what? All you can do is get back up and keep trying, chickie...you will get there, I know you will.

Cindy - how's camp? :)

So...I have been back on the bicycle for a while, spin class is a go as well...it's just upper body workouts that have been hard to bring back in. And my eating has been outta control lately. Time to change my ticker :(
Don't wanna, don't wanna...:tantrum: I ought to go get a whole foods book myself. I pretty much know the concept already...practicing what is in my head is a whole nother matter.

EveLHaelf
06-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Hi! I'm about 3/4ths of the way done with Jillian's "Winning by Losing" book and it is awesome! I fell in love with The Biggest Loser into the 4th season and I'm anxiously awaiting the newest season. I actually tried out for this upcoming season, but haven't heard anything and figured that I didn't get picked, lol. Oh well, I'll keep trying! Anyway, it's totally awesome that I found this forum and I'm really excited to talk to all you peeps! The diet portion of Jillian's book had me a bit confused because I suck at math and I was trying to figure out how many calories a week i needed to lose weight and I'm not even sure if I did it right. I dunno, I like to get all the details organized and what not before I begin something like this, but I think it's also a way of stalling. ya know the infamous "I'll start tomorrow" deal where tomorrow never seems to come....it gets really frustrating. I was reading some posts from this website earlier and some of them were from miss Jillian herself that was AWESOME! It's actually pretty late here but I'm going to continue to read her book tomorrow and I'll be back on to ask some questions about it and what not. So thanks for reading! :D

EveLHaelf
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Hello again everyone! I just got done skimming over my 'notes' on the book and I'm going to post some questions and hopefully some of you wonderful people can help me! First off, after taking her quiz I found out I am a fast oxidizer and she did go into some detail on what shouldn't eat and what not but I'm still confused. I mean, what are theBEST foods for that type? And if I'm not supposed to eat bread unless it is that ezekiel bread, then what are good sources of carbs for me?

Then there's that math problem I had....So I figured that my BMR is 1876.2 and my daily AMR is 2877.44 and if I want to lose 2lbs. a week then I need to have a deficit of 7000 calories a week or 1000 a day. So after figuring out my weekly AMR which is 20,142 I got 13,142 as my weekly caloric intake. which divided by 7 is 1877 And, to me that seems a bit high because if you read one of the Biggest Loser books it says to take your current weight and multiply it by 7 which I get 1645. And in the newest biggest loser book it says to take your goal weight and multiply by ten to get your daily caloric intake, which for me is 1400. So my head is REELING right now, lol. And also in her book she says not to have the same daily caloric intake so your system can't get used to it and she gave an example, and if i follow her example my caloric intake would be this: 1600, 1900, 1600, 2000,1600, 1800, 2100. Idk, it just seems really high to me and I even went back and did the math over again and got the same numbers....And then I'm assuming that as I lose weight i will need to recalculate the numbers too. But does anyone else think that I did it wrong? Because a 2100 calorie day just sound waaaaay to high.

But then again, I'm obviously not the fitness expert, lol.
Thanks for reading!

chick_in_the_hat
06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi EveLHaelf!!

Fast oxidizer foods...I lent out my "Winning by Losing" so I am looking at "Making the Cut" which should be pretty close. As for carbs...you aren't going to get many being a "Fast Oxidizer" but she lists black beans & Low Carb tortillas in addition to the Ezekial Bread (which is really good, BTW). One of her breakfasts has oatmeal in it...it looks like an "Embrace the Protein" plan. :D

Math isn't my strong suit either...:p I'm not sure how much you are trying to lose, but I don't think 1870 is out of control if you are doing the workouts. :carrot: Why not try it for a few weeks and see how it goes? Research is good, but you might be taking info from too many sources at once. It's bound to drive you nuts. :dizzy:

chick_in_the_hat
06-23-2008, 10:24 PM
OMG - I forgot to say :wel3fc:

EveLHaelf
06-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks a bunch! And you're totally right, all that research is making me crazy. I just get the paranoia that if I'm going to be putting the effort into it I want to make sure that I'm doing all that I can. Which is probably why I can never seem to stick to exercising and eating healthy for more than two months. x.x
lol but I really appreciate the reply and I think I'm going to just get out of my own way and take your advice! :D

chick_in_the_hat
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Patience...and faith in yourself. :D

You can do this. :cb:

susannyny
06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Eve, your AMR numbers don't seem to be correct. If you tell me your age, height, weight and what you do for a living (do you have a desk job, are you on your feet more than 1/2 a day, are you a personal trainer?), I can help you with the math.

Peace.

Susan

EveLHaelf
06-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks a lot! Hopefully a second mind will help me get my numbers straight, :P. Age: 21 height: 5'4'' weight: 230 and I am assistant manager at a Subway so i'm pretty much on my feet for 8 hours at a time. Once again, I appreciate the help! (I need all I can get :cool: )

Eve, your AMR numbers don't seem to be correct. If you tell me your age, height, weight and what you do for a living (do you have a desk job, are you on your feet more than 1/2 a day, are you a personal trainer?), I can help you with the math.

Peace.

Susan

susannyny
06-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Eve,

Based on your age, height and weight I have your BMR at 1,846. Adding your daily activity level (sans exercise), you can take in approximately 2,215 calories per day and maintain your current weight.

First and foremost, make certain that you discuss any exercise program with your doctor!!

Assuming he/she gives you clearance, if you were to burn 2000 calories per week via exercise, and bring your weekly calorie intake down to 11,000 calories, you would lose approx. 9 lbs per month.

Make certain to consume more calories on the days you’re exercising to ensure you’re providing the proper fuel your body needs to get thru the workout.

For example, if you were to exercise 4x/week (burning 500 calories per session), your nutrition intake would look like this:

- On the days you’re exercising consume 1700 calories (1700 x 4 days = 6800 calories)
- On the days you’re resting consume 1499 calories (1400 x 3 days = 4200 calories)

Make certain to work towards eliminating processed foods from your diet. For carbs, focus on whole grains (Ezekiel bread, quinoa, and 100% whole wheat couscous), vegetables and low-GI fruits.

Proteins should be quality lean protein such as skinless white meat chicken and turkey breast, lean cuts of pork and beef, low-fat (ideally organic) dairy, egg whites (whole eggs are fine if cholesterol is not an issue), whey and soy.

Quality fats include raw nuts and seeds, avocado, olive and canola oil. Just make certain you work these numbers into your daily calorie intake!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

Stay strong.

Peace.

Susan

Thanks a lot! Hopefully a second mind will help me get my numbers straight, :P. Age: 21 height: 5'4'' weight: 230 and I am assistant manager at a Subway so i'm pretty much on my feet for 8 hours at a time. Once again, I appreciate the help! (I need all I can get :cool: )

BfL_Cat
06-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi gals :wave:

It's great to see a few new faces around here!

I'm home alone this weekend - I'm taking a break from "camp" to regroup and get my act together - lately life has been just willy-nilly and my house and weight show it. Clutter everywhere - home, body, mind,.... I've been feeling pretty out-of-control, so this is my weekend to turn that around.

Now unfortunately it's supposed to be 85F and humid, and I don't have a/c, so my timing couldn't be worse, but I'm sure I'll survive. I just need to not think about the fact that up at camp I could be in the lake cooling off.

So I got out the camera and tripod and took the dreaded "before" photos this morning. Not a pretty site, let me assure you! But, I really need to have them, as it is helpful for my motivation to be able to see the changes in my back and general size - more than I can see just by looking in a mirror.

I think my workout plan will be a combo of body for life and Jillian's first book - I like a lot of her exercises, so I will incorporate them into my BFL workout. I'm choosing BFL for now because it's worked for me in the past. I was able to steadily lose weight and firm up.

So, this weekend is all about purging, cleaning and planning. Dusted off my EFL cookbook, my Jillians books and other resources I've not looked at in a while.

My Mom and sister are coming for a visit over Labor Day vacation, and frankly I don't want them to see me looking like this. That, and there's a good chance that I'm going to Shanghai again in late September, and I don't want those colleagues to see me looking like this either. That and the whole travel/jet lag thing will be so much easier if I'm healthier and in better shape.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Cindy

ledom
06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Hello all - Things here going pretty good. I am really enjoying my workouts. I have been playing around a little w/ exercise, but still doing only cardio. I have upped my bike/elliptical time to 15 min. each and decreased swimming to 30 minutes on some days. I have gotten to the point where I pretty much crave getting to the gym daily. I have been kayaking quite a bit and think I see my arms and shoulders especially responding to those recent activities. Workouts are the only thing saving me. I love food. I love cooking. I love serving. I admire those who cook a lot and still maintain a reasonable weight.

Diet is, as always, a struggle - I am trying though. DD and DD's SO have been staying, hanging out at my house a lot as their house is currently undergoing renovation, they had to move out and DD is here while SO is camped out in the Florida room. Much cooking and eating going on that is not dietetic. But like I said, I am trying.

Cindy - hope you're weekend cleanse and purge goes well. Will be looking for inspiring words from you.

chick_in_the_hat
07-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi ledom!!

This thread has been too quiet lately.

So glad you are enjoying workouts! I still think it's funny how addicted to exercise we have gotten. Pretty danged :cool:

Cindy - I dug up Making the Cut again. I can't seem to make the effort to do the before pics or the committing to 30 days thing. :devil:

But the elbow is healed, pretty much. I've added upper body back in slowly and with less weight but there ya go. :cb:

I'm still struggling with diet as well...my saving grace this week is that DH has gone to visit MIL in Mexico. The house is trigger food free and my excuse for buying said items has made a run for the border. :lol: We'll see if it makes a difference. Today is sweat therapy...104 degrees today. And the freaking smoke is back...thank goodness for the air conditioned gym. :carrot:

ledom
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Gina- I am so happy to hear your elbow is better. Slowly and with less weight sounds like the way to go. I hear you on having more control of food when you are alone. That is my standard way of life. I am enjoying my kids a lot though.

On posting here - it seems I am searching for a home thread to post on. As a "former Jillian's girl" this isn't really where I fit anymore but it's where you and Cindy have been posting and I like chatting with you girls. Cindy recently invited me to join a point challenge over on YOU on a diet thread. That thread isn't really descriptive of me either, but I guess it doesn't matter. Head over there and see if you'd like to do the July challenge. I bet you can join in even if you're late this month. There is also a July chatter. I'll keep checking in here too.

Gina your weather sounds miserable. It is hot and sticky here but in the low/mid 90s and thankfully no smoke.

ledom
07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Anyone still around! Summer has been a whirlwind these last couple weeks. Company still here, wearing thin for all of us. We're a good family though and we have all been troopers. But still....
So yesterday I drove my friend to an oncology treatment. The hospital has a support program that offers the patient and her caregiver, friend, whoever she chooses a 30 minute message. It was revelation. They are medical massages I showed the masseur my leg and knee. I am having some kind of lymph drainage problems on my leg that is giving me lots of problems and she worked on draining that. I had no idea that could be done. I am driving my friend again next week and will get the same treatment.

I have been shutdown and in denial over my diet and even the last couple weeks have let exercise slip. I took a mini weekend vacation that was much needed was about half as long as I could have used, but it was nice nevertheless.

Hope everyone here is well.