Old 09-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Brussel sprouts, not quite so evil after all

I like most vegetables, but have always HATED brussel sprouts. On a whim, I decided to buy some fresh brussel sprouts and roast them last night (as opposed to the boiled from frozen my mom always made). I just cut the washed sprouts in half, and patted dry. Tossed them in a ziploc bag with a little oil and ranch dressing mix powder and baked them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. So yummy I couldn't believe it. Only one sprout in the whole bunch tasted even a little bitter like I remembered (the biggest one, so small sprouts may be part of the solution.)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:50 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I love most vegetables BUT, although frozen are okay in a pinch, fresh are always lots better IMHO. I agree BS are better when smaller.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 309/250/200 (for now)

Height: 5 foot 2

I like Brussels but I agree the the smaller ones are better. I look for the 'button sprouts' variety as they are smaller and less bitter. In the past I have put a bit of cumin in the water when I do them and it added a nice flavor too.
SarahJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #4  

I also prefer fresh veggies, but anything I like fresh, usually tastes ok to me from frozen (now canned is another story, still have a passionate hatred fro canned peas). My parents grew brussel sprouts in the garden one or two years, and I'm sure they made us try them fresh at least once, but I don't remember. I think I was probably convinced by then that I hated them, because I do remember being very upset that they were going to grow them (and probably make us eat them).
Old 09-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Roasted brussel sprouts are one of my family's favorite veggies, and given that we've (thankfully) got lots of favorites, that's saying a real lot.

I spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, cut the sprouts in half, lay them on the sheet. Sprinkle with chopped fresh garlic and a little sea salt and and add another hit of the cooking spray and then roast away. Delicious.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-30-2007 at 06:44 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I love Brussel Sprouts but have'nt tried roasting them,gonna try it , sounds delish.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 309/250/200 (for now)

Height: 5 foot 2

I am going to have to try them roasted too. I am roast-phobic lately because it usually involves oil to taste that good. So, I will give that recipe a try. I have been meaning to try roasted beets too.
SarahJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Ranch dressing powder makes everything taste better! I've found the fresher the better. You can find some old shriveled up ones at the market and they are really bitter. I ask the produce guy when he expects a fresh delivery and try to buy when they come in.

I've never had any luck with roasting vegetables, maybe my oven temperature isn't correct or maybe I overload my pan. They come out baked-cooked but not the nice brown that gives a good flavor.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #9  

Temperature and overloading the pan do make a big difference. If I miscalculate, the top ones may roast, but the bottom ones are soft and mushy. Oven temperature can also be tricky. My oven won't roast anything under 400 degrees, but at 450 I have a hard time getting to them before they burn. That's often the biggest secret - time. Too soon and they aren't carmelized, too late and their burnt. There literally can be a 2 minute interval between extremes if you're working with very tender veggies (potatoes and other hearty veggies are more forgiving).
Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've been a Brussels Sprouts hater all my life. Until I tried them roasted. Even my kids like them prepared that way.

Now I have to decide if I should fix them for Thanksgiving and make my brother try them. A few years ago at his house for Thanksgiving, my Mom had made her sprouts (yuck) and he DARED me to eat one. Then he laughed at me.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Another great way to prepare brussel sprouts (and this will work for the large ones as well as small ones) is to slice them thinly, then saute them with thinly sliced onions, garlic, diced turkey kielbasa, salt, and freshly ground pepper. The turkey kielbasa provides enough oil so you don't need to add oil and it adds a nice smokey flavor.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #12  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

okay...i decided after reading this thread yesterday that i'd give brussell sprouts a try...your way...I don't know what the heck happened...I did 40 min. @ 400 degrees...ranch dressing mix and olive oil...they came out mushy and burnt to boot....ugh...maybe the cooking spray is the difference...and I may not have dried them off all the way...any ideas? Or am I on the money as to why they turned out this way?
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #13  

It sounds to me that they were cooked too long, and/or possibly too high of a heat. Oven temperatures can vary from oven to oven, so cooking times and temperatures have to be fiddled with, until you find what works best.
My oven's 400 might be your oven's 425.

40 -45 minutes is usually the longest I've ever had to roast any veggie, and that's usually for dense veggies like carrots, potatoes, parsnips, turnips....
I usually start checking on a new veggie at about the 15 to 20 minute mark.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-03-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #14  
My Wedding Day 6.19.10

S/C/G: 172/167/115

Height: 5'2"

I tried Kaplods roasted brussels sprouts for the first time last night.

I have never liked any green veggie but when I read about her sprouts, I really wanted to try it. I bought some fresh ones and...

*WOW*

I loved them! That is HUGE for me! I also read somewhere that if you cut out the "choke" then they are not bitter. So I did this before roasting and they cam out awesome! I can't wait to buy more and do it again. Tonight I am trying this with asparagus and mushrooms.

Thanks Kaplods!
IansGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #15  

I've been sprout addicted since finding this way to make them. Hubby thinks I'm crazy, because I've bought a box every shopping trip. And fresh, they're rather expensive ($3) compared to other veggies, but they're so yummy I try to reframe the cost. $3 for veggies seems expensive, until I compare it to a fast food meal. Mmmm, maybe I'll have brussels sprouts tonight.