Old 09-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Default Calories

My Daily Plate says at a lite activity level I should have 1889 calories a day. Thats without adding in my exercise for the day. Once I add in my exercise it will add those calories burned onto the amount I can have for the day. Do you normally eat those calories as well or no? I normally dont. I have it set to lose 2.5 lbs a week at 1889 calories. So if I dont eat those extra exercise calories will I lose more than 2.5 lbs a week? If I do eat the extra ones will I still lose the 2.5 lbs? I know everyone is different and this is not ALWAYS right. Im just confused.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

The theory is that in order to lose a pound, you must create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories. Most sites like the dailyplate (though I'm not absolutely sure this is how they do it) will estimate your basal metabolic rate based on your weight and your age, add in additional calories burned for your lifestyle (I'm guessing that's your lite activity that you talk about), and figure out how many calories you can consume to create enough of a weekly calorie deficit to lose 2.5 pounds per week. If you add in intentional exercise, that will increase the number of calories you burn per week. If you are not consuming additional calories to make up for those calories burned, it will theoretically create a bigger deficit, resulting in a greater loss per week. And no, personally, I never adjust my calories consumed based on what additional exercise I'm doing.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #3  

Ok, thanks

I like to know how many calories I burn each day with my 'structured exercise' so I always fill it out, but then it automatically adds that number on to the number of calories I can have for that day, but I keep it within the original 1889.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm not sure why the daily plate does that. I absolutely, positively always keep my calories eaten totally separate from my calories burned. I eat what I eat based on what I have found to be a satisfying number of calories - one that keeps me full, energized and gives me more then enough room to get in all my nutrients, vitamins and minerals. I base my exercise on what I think is a doable and sustainable amount of activity for someone of my age and weight and fitness level, always striving to increase it.

"Eating back" my calories, IMO is totally and completely counterproductive. The goal is (other then to exercise for the wonderful health benefits) to create MORE of a deficit. I'm always looking to burn extra calories, not so I can eat more, but so that I can LOSE more.

One other thing, those "calories burned" portions of all of those sites always give a much higher number then actually burned. And there is no way on earth to even know how much any given person is actually burning while mowing the lawn, doing sit ups, walking, sneezing or breathing - no way at all. I totally disregard those numbers.

As far as aiming for a particular amount of pounds to lose per week, that's another inaccurate measure. There's no way to know for sure what the body will do. EVEN IF we were to do the same exact thing (which is impossible) week after week, meaning the same food, the same activity, you are never ensured of losing the same amount of weight week after week. Our bodies are just not that accurate and precise.

So much of this is trial and error. You try something for a couple of weeks, track it really, really well, see how it goes. If you are unhappy with the results, you can change it up, tweak things a bit and try again for another couple of weeks. Good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #5  

Yeah, I agree. I dont see how they can calculate how many calories you have burned, but I do like to see the estimate. Im really not sure why TDP adds it in like that, but they do. Even though I dont like that aspect of it, thats still my favorite site to keep up with calories on. I like that they keep up with foods I eat regularly and exercises too. That way I dont have to search each and every time, just check out my list. Then if I need to search I can, but its rare.

Thanks so much for your help.